• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could just change the completely controls Duchy of Thessalonika to have the title Duchy of Thessalonika (or any vassals have it). That way way you don't need to fully control all the titles in the duchy as long as you have the dutchy itself.

I'm pretty sure Thessalonika was never taken. It was the gateway to Mouth Athos and the "co-capital" with at least 100,000 citizens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Bulgarian_wars#Peter_II

The conditions for establishing the Bulgarian Empire in my mod are to control all of de jure Bulgaria plus the duchy of Adrianopolis and Strymon.

http://i.imgur.com/nUkGurb.jpg

Here you can see the title itself and specified creation conditions.

http://i.imgur.com/uYAfwlX.jpg

And here is the end result.

http://i.imgur.com/0EwJL9K.jpg

As for Byzantine Greece, this is the set-up I followed. Yours is quite similar.

http://i.imgur.com/tFVozHY.jpg

Reactions:
Finally the Fourth Release I have worked for all the Summer Vacation is ready!

This is the change log:

- The Roman Empire has its COA again and the law of the forming title
are maintened
- Modified the Latin Empire scenario now it starts in 1204/8/1 with the
Kingdom of Thessalonika (with Boniface of Montferrat as King) formed
under the Latin Empire, Nikea and Trebizond are present too
- Added history of the "Empire of Bulgaria and Romania" and "Serbia and
Romania"
- Now characters with the trait "Pretender Successor State of ERE" can
declare war on the successor, as with the West a Conference of Peace is
called
- Modified defines: a character can control 4 Duchies without penalties
- Modified de jure Kingdoms of Byzantium added Hellas, Epirus and Nikea.
Cyprus is de jure too with the duchy of Cyprus as its only vassal
- The Emperor of HRE can request the crown to the Pope if HRE is not his
primary title too
- Modified form HRE decision in CM scenario it does not destroy excess
Empire anymore and make de jure only the kingdoms of the primary Empire
- As the form HRE decision could replace Italia, Francia or Hispania
with HRE now the decision to reform the WRE takes this in account
- The decision to form the Empire of Russia needs to have the title
Kanate of Kievan Rus
- The Emperor of Trebizond has claim in Nikea and in the Greek territory
of Byzantium
- The Emperors of Bulgaria, Serbia, Russia and Trebizond now wear
Emperor crowns
- A Greek Kingdom is called a Despotate

And this is the download file:

Enjoy!

This is the Fifth Alpha Release of "The Empires of God".

0.0.5 Alpha

- Restored RIRSEI event to create the Ottoman Empire
- Added decision to restore Byzantium
- Added decision to become a "new" Byzantium for Latin Empire, Serbia,
Bulgaria and Russia
- Removed event file CA.txt because events triggerd randomly
- The events Successor / Pretender of ERE / WRE should trigger only a
time for character life not any days!
- Event chain to give to the restored Byzantine Empire the Echumenical
Patriarcate and Varangardian Guard as his vassal
- Added custom regions of world_byzantium and world_megas_hellas

And this is the download file:

What's next?
I've the intention to add the Italian Communes with special governments on the next release so for a little time I move my focus out of "The Roman Empire" (well not totally as "The Commune of Rome" will have finally its correct government).

Last edited:
Will you consider doing something with the middle east there are some things that could be done with the region with regards to this

Well a thing is already present in "The Empires of God": the Arabian Empire (Dar Al Islam) is already divided in Arabia, Egypt and Africa.
The idea is similar to the one of the Roman Empires to be recognized as the true Caliph you need to - obviously - control Mecca and Medina, having the eventual blood trait and be the Emperor (Padisha) of Arabia, Egypt and Africa.

Regarding the other ideas some could be implemented, the Anti Caliph I'm unsure if it is supported...

But before I'd like to occupy of the Italian Communes...
If you want to help me with the Middle East help is accepted by the way!
Also game outright crashes the moment when using the latest version of this mod

I've tried the released 0.0.5 version yesterday (maybe some file was skipped by GitHub?) but the mod load correctly for me...
Please check that there are no installation errors:
  1. Not install on the old version, better to delete / move it and then copy the mod
  2. Delete mod chache
  3. Please note that it is an alpha so save game compatibility is not a guarantee (my test save games loaded but as I have added traits they are misplaced!)

Regarding the other ideas some could be implemented, the Anti Caliph I'm unsure if it is supported...

Supported by history or the engine?

If you want to help me with the Middle East help is accepted by the way!

I'd love to help but I can't mod to save my life

Supported by history or the engine?

No, historically happened that there was more that one Caliph for sure!
It is the engine that I'm unsure supports it... time ago in other mod tried to set that Sunni / Shia religions supported Anti Popes and weird thing happened. But it was a lot of release ago... maybe not it works.

I'd love to help but I can't mod to save my life

OK, I can count to you as beta tester when I'll start to work on Islam?

No, historically happened that there was more that one Caliph for sure!
It is the engine that I'm unsure supports it... time ago in other mod tried to set that Sunni / Shia religions supported Anti Popes and weird thing happened. But it was a lot of release ago... maybe not it works.
Ah I understand

Also while I am at suggestions once you get to the caliphate part make Africa alternative essentially hold arabia, egypt and one more empire as Africa was a march at the best of time often held by a series of tribal leaders and independent emirs holding persia, egypt and arabia makes just as much sense.

The sunni caliphate was by this point was offically driven by piousness than blood though it certainly helped I suggest that in order to create it you either need piety and the trait or twice the piety otherwise required (also if the caliph exists he must be your vassal)

When Stupor Mundi is proclaimed the accompanying text does not appear nor does it say what it benefits simply the numbers

Someone joining the legion does not display the flavor text

Also Francia in becoming WRE is at one point spelled "Franncia" instead of its proper spelling

In the restore SPQR conditions it says "the kingdom of Italy shall be replaced by the Roman republic" and that is very vague what does it mean exactly?

When sweden broke out of the Kalmar union the pope refused to acknowledge Gustav Vasa as king of Sweden thereby leaving him in a bit of conundrum in the end he ended up converting to protestantism for this and a few other reasons. Might be an inspiration.

OK, I can count to you as beta tester when I'll start to work on Islam?
Sure now that I've gotten it to work

Ah I understand

Also while I am at suggestions once you get to the caliphate part make Africa alternative essentially hold arabia, egypt and one more empire as Africa was a march at the best of time often held by a series of tribal leaders and independent emirs holding persia, egypt and arabia makes just as much sense.

So you say the (High) Kingdom of Africa could be not needed to form Dar Al Islam? Probably in the CK2 historical period makes more sense if it is the sum of Arabia, Egypt and Persia.

The sunni caliphate was by this point was offically driven by piousness than blood though it certainly helped I suggest that in order to create it you either need piety and the trait or twice the piety otherwise required (also if the caliph exists he must be your vassal)

In "The Empires of God" vision the true Caliph is the ruler of Dar Al Islam so the two titles should in some way coincide... as the Roman part of the world you can create the other (High) Kingdoms together with the Caliphate but you cannot use the Imperial / Caliphate title *.

* Possible exception the Ottoman Emperor was Caliph why he controlled Constantinople?

When Stupor Mundi is proclaimed the accompanying text does not appear nor does it say what it benefits simply the numbers

OK, starting for a CK2 version there is a bug that sometimes a space before a description make the description does not shown anymore... I had a lot of these annoying issues.

Someone joining the legion does not display the flavor text

I suppose the same it is the same thing.... I'm unsure in "The Commune of Rome" the description was shown :mad:

Also Francia in becoming WRE is at one point spelled "Franncia" instead of its proper spelling

Ops!

In the restore SPQR conditions it says "the kingdom of Italy shall be replaced by the Roman republic" and that is very vague what does it mean exactly?

When you create the Roman Republic and start to conquer the various Duchies of Italy after some key territories you should get an event that effectively replace de jure the Kingdom of Italy with the Roman Republic... yes probably the event being not easy to discern for the player is not the correct way to do this a decision in which are listed the territories will be better.
Another idea that I'm having is to divide the (High) Kingdom of Italia in 4 de jure Kingdoms:
  1. Italia (that if held by Romans changes in "Annonaria"): it is formed only of the Northern Italy
  2. Roman Republic / Exarchate of Italy / Patrimonium Sancti Petri (the last one only creatable only by the Pope): Central Italy that is the historical territory of the Byzantine Exarchate of Italy
  3. Sicily: the same de jure territory
  4. Sardinia: can be created if you hold Duchy of Sardinia plus and another Duchy
In this way in "The Commune of Rome" scenario de facto the Roman Republic would have a de jure territory.

When sweden broke out of the Kalmar union the pope refused to acknowledge Gustav Vasa as king of Sweden thereby leaving him in a bit of conundrum in the end he ended up converting to protestantism for this and a few other reasons. Might be an inspiration.

Sure now that I've gotten it to work

Out of curiosity what was the problem?

Thanks for your bug reports and suggestions.

Last edited:
So you say the (High) Kingdom of Africa could be not needed to form Dar Al Islam? Probably in the CK2 historical period makes more sense if it is the sum of Arabia, Egypt and Persia.

Pretty much persia was far more important than Africa at the time remember that this was before it became Shiite

When you create the Roman Republic and start to conquer the various Duchies of Italy after some key territories you should get an event that effectively replace de jure the Kingdom of Italy with the Roman Republic... yes probably the event being not easy to discern for the player is not the correct way to do this a decision in which are listed the territories will be better.
Another idea that I'm having is to divide the (High) Kingdom of Italia in 4 de jure Kingdoms:
  1. Italia (that if held by Romans changes in "Annonaria"): it is formed only of the Northern Italy
  2. Roman Republic / Exarchate of Italy /Patrimonium Sancti Petri (the last one only creatable only by the Pope): Central Italy that is the historical territory of the Byzantine Exarchate of Italy
  3. Sicily: the same de jure territory
  4. Sardinia: can be created if Sardinia plus another Duchy is held
In this way in "The Commune of Rome" scenario de facto the Roman Republic would have a de jure territory.

Both sound good

Out of curiosity what was the problem?

Installed it incorrectly

A few suggestions about norse:
Split norway and Iceland and the faore islands in 769 to later as the island wasn't exactly part any realm for some time instead I would suggest a kingdom called iceland
Split Sweden into Gautaland (Småland, Vestergautland and Austergautland) and Sweden (svipjod) for the bookmarks 769 and 876 1066 Gautland was pretty much a thing of the past (inspired by HIP)
If Guatland exists when the cultural split of the norse appears Geatish appears as a seperate culture
Split Norrland into two different duchies Länsipojha-Sapmi called Sapmi and Helsingland-Angermanland-Medelpad remains as Norrland (Länsipojha-Sapmi wasn't part of Sweden until very late in this period and indeed the only bookmark with it is the last one)
Split Sapmi from Sweden and give it to Finland also make it so that Sapmi becomes the name of the kingdom of Finland if a Sami character holds it (Sapmi is the name for the Samis combined nation so that is why Finland should be called Sapmi under those circumstances)
Kalmar Union (Add reqiurments is king of; Norway, Denmark and Sweden)
Norðri Riki (roughly Kingdom of the North) creatable high kingdom via descision if the following is fullfilled
Is norse
Is germanic (reformed)
Is fylkir
Has 3000 prestige
Completely controlls Kingdom of Denmark, Sweden, Gautland, Norway
Is Feudal

Effect: Norðri Riki replaces Kalmar Union
Character is now high king of Norðri Riki

This in total means that either scandinavian empire will be concerned with the mainland but have incentive to take iceland later on

Become recognized by the thing
Requirements:
Norse
Either
King or Emperor
Is independent
When you succeed to the throne or create your empire you can call the Thing (viking parliment kind of) to be essentially recognized as the ruler (viking succession is a bit of a mist in history but I recall there being something to it) and if you are denied you gain rejected by the Thing modifier (-20 vassal relations, -1 prestige/month) if you don't summon them you gain unrecognized ruler (-10 vassal relations, -.5 prestige month) if you succeed you gain recognized by the Thing (+5 vassal Relation penalty +.5 prestige/month) this leads to a rune stone being made but it revolves around your ascension or inheritance (this is actually what a lot of runestones were testements to inheritance)
If you fail you can try again in 2-5 years time.
I recall sol invictus had something similar

Compose a Saga
Requirements:
3000 prestige
Character has poet trait
Norse
Councillor has poet trait
Councillor has 100 relations with character
Sagas were very important oral poetic traditions so once you are epic enough you can have your councillor or yourself compose a Saga which will give you the bonuses the vanilla rune stone other wise would give you.

Godis able to try to usurp the title of Fylkir in fact vassals might try to have the title transfered to a priest (not sure if this is possible to code)
As mentioned I can't write code but I could write up what the flavor text just not code it in

Also why is Nubia part of Aegyptus empire it hasn't had a proper connection with Nubia in that sense since the conquest of Egypt by cyrus

A few suggestions about norse:
Split norway and Iceland and the faore islands in 769 to later as the island wasn't exactly part any realm for some time instead I would suggest a kingdom called iceland

Probably in 769 Iceland should be empty too, but the engine does not support it... maybe I can made it nomadic as a sort of compromise...
It is OK to put Faore Islands as part of Iceland or not? If not I should give an independent Duchy to only it.
There is already a flag of Iceland in HIP or FFT probably...

Regarding Iceland after is independence from Norway it should have a special government (a sort of Republic?) to model the Icelandic Commonwealth.

Split Sweden into Gautaland (Småland, Vestergautland and Austergautland) and Sweden (svipjod) for the bookmarks 769 and 876 1066 Gautland was pretty much a thing of the past (inspired by HIP)
If Guatland exists when the cultural split of the norse appears Geatish appears as a seperate culture

There is already a COA of this Kingdom of Guatland?

Split Norrland into two different duchies Länsipojha-Sapmi called Sapmi and Helsingland-Angermanland-Medelpad remains as Norrland (Länsipojha-Sapmi wasn't part of Sweden until very late in this period and indeed the only bookmark with it is the last one)

Split Sapmi from Sweden and give it to Finland also make it so that Sapmi becomes the name of the kingdom of Finland if a Sami character holds it (Sapmi is the name for the Samis combined nation so that is why Finland should be called Sapmi under those circumstances)

Mmh Sapmi (that is - as you says the correct name of Finland) is in Sweden in vanilla? This shall be rectified! I can change the name to Sapmi if ruled by Finnish characters easily...

Kalmar Union (Add reqiurments is king of; Norway, Denmark and Sweden)

Kalmar Union is simply a localization for Scandinavia so these requirements are already presents (it is its de jure territory) the only condition I should add is to make it creatable only by Catholics because Norse should create...

Norðri Riki (roughly Kingdom of the North) creatable high kingdom via descision if the following is fullfilled
Is norse
Is germanic (reformed)
Is fylkir
Has 3000 prestige
Completely controlls Kingdom of Denmark, Sweden, Gautland, Norway
Is Feudal

Effect: Norðri Riki replaces Kalmar Union
Character is now high king of Norðri Riki

This in total means that either scandinavian empire will be concerned with the mainland but have incentive to take iceland later on

Excellent idea!

Become recognized by the thing
Requirements:
Norse
Either
King or Emperor
Is independent
When you succeed to the throne or create your empire you can call the Thing (viking parliment kind of) to be essentially recognized as the ruler (viking succession is a bit of a mist in history but I recall there being something to it) and if you are denied you gain rejected by the Thing modifier (-20 vassal relations, -1 prestige/month) if you don't summon them you gain unrecognized ruler (-10 vassal relations, -.5 prestige month) if you succeed you gain recognized by the Thing (+5 vassal Relation penalty +.5 prestige/month) this leads to a rune stone being made but it revolves around your ascension or inheritance (this is actually what a lot of runestones were testements to inheritance)
If you fail you can try again in 2-5 years time.
I recall sol invictus had something similar

The Thing probably should be the real government of the Norse not the one Paradox is using before they reform to feudal it is effectively a sort of Parliamentary Monarchy that any Aryan population used in the past. I'll try to implement it a proper government and this could be one of the flavor events for sure.

Compose a Saga
Requirements:
3000 prestige
Character has poet trait
Norse
Councillor has poet trait
Councillor has 100 relations with character
Sagas were very important oral poetic traditions so once you are epic enough you can have your councillor or yourself compose a Saga which will give you the bonuses the vanilla rune stone other wise would give you.

This is another interesting flavor event.

Godis able to try to usurp the title of Fylkir in fact vassals might try to have the title transfered to a priest (not sure if this is possible to code)

Yes it should be possible to code, it simply means that the Gody will get the title d_fylkirate but it does makes sense? Here we are in the hypothesis realm as the Norse religion was never reformed so what does a good Fylkir? Piety? It does not seems so important for Norse... probably a high martial is better! I see this title more similar to the Muslim Caliphate and indeed I think that any character should have the possibility to hold temples without penalties (that is no differentation between warrior and priest caste).

As mentioned I can't write code but I could write up what the flavor text just not code it it

Well writing the event text will be already a good help for me. Are you able to design COA / event pictures too? All the duchies split you have proposed are relatively easy to do but if I do have not a flag to represent them...

Also why is Nubia part of Aegyptus empire it hasn't had a proper connection with Nubia in that sense since the conquest of Egypt by cyrus

Well the fact is that IMHO an (High) Kingdom should have at least 3 Kingdom inside it to make a sense so I gave Nubia to it. In my mind it is not the Arab thing but is the Hellenistic Realm.
I tough that a restore Macedonia could have had sense but then I tought that would conflicted with the Roman Empire / Byzantium... a Greek in that epoch feels himself more "Roman" that "Greek", Macedon culture was totally forgotten. So I decided it was anti-historical. This Aegyptus exist as a component of constituent part of ERE and of Dar Al Islam been effectively a point of confict between these two worlds.

Probably in 769 Iceland should be empty too, but the engine does not support it... maybe I can made it nomadic as a sort of compromise...
It is OK to put Faore Islands as part of Iceland or not? If not I should give an independent Duchy to only it.
There is already a flag of Iceland in HIP or FFT probably...

What I meant was you could make a K_Iceland which includes D_Faroe Islands and D_Iceland and I do agree with making Iceland nomadic in 769 if you can modify population and all of that so to make them largely useless on their own that way a kingdom taking controll of the isles could start making it useful through construction mirroring the settlement.

Regarding Iceland after is independence from Norway it should have a special government (a sort of Republic?) to model the Icelandic Commonwealth.

Republic would work

There is already a COA of this Kingdom of Guatland?

Well HIP does have theirs any offical one does not since viking kingdoms weren't as big on CoAs as we are but I could think of something

Mmh Sapmi (that is - as you says the correct name of Finland) is in Sweden in vanilla? This shall be rectified! I can change the name to Sapmi if ruled by Finnish characters easily...

No what I mean is that a Sami person holding finland would use the term Sapmi since he would consider it a Sami greater realm a Finish (there is a big difference between Sami and Finnish) character would call it Suomi (finnish for Finland) and Finland for anyone else.

Kalmar Union is simply a localization for Scandinavia so these requirements are already presents (it is its de jure territory) the only condition I should add is to make it creatable only by Catholics because Norse should create...

Maybe christian is adequate since there is the possiblity that they might convert to orthodox

The Thing probably should be the real government of the Norse not the one Paradox is using before they reform to feudal it is effectively a sort of Parliamentary Monarchy that any Aryan population used in the past. I'll try to implement it a proper government and this could be one of the flavor events for sure.

An idea I had is that since the game seems to be able to register the difference between a usurper (seeing as how it has that epithet) founders and inheritors maybe each of these could tag a character with a modifier that says which of them they are but give no bonuses or penalties and simply be used to trigger events or change text. So for instance I usurp my lord the king of Sweden's title I gain usurper: Sweden modifier so when I go to the thing the game is able to change accordingly based on that modifer so once I get my Runestone it says how I got the title.

Yes it should be possible to code, it simply means that the Gody will get the title d_fylkirate but it does makes sense? Here we are in the hypothesis realm as the Norse religion was never reformed so what does a good Fylkir? Piety? It does not seems so important for Norse... probably a high martial is better! I see this title more similar to the Muslim Caliphate and indeed I think that any character should have the possibility to hold temples without penalties (that is no differentation between warrior and priest caste).

Actually the norse were very religious they would routinely sacrifice for good trade and Godies were very respected because they maintained the temples and upheld religious traditions and chieftains were very keen on establishing that they were the descendants of one of the gods (I visited Gothenburgs Viking exhibition today) I think however the relation with piety should be reconsidered such as what virtues are favored and not as well as observance to traditions. The theology trait should probably have events for these things. Routine sacrifices and if not outright war at least duels or raids and yes as you said martial skill. And yes anyone should be able to hold the temples if norse and gain the unworthy priest trait (should disappear if they lose the priestly title so really anyone should be able to aspire to take the title of Fylkir especially the zealous and so forth.

Well writing the event text will be already a good help for me. Are you able to design COA / event pictures too? All the duchies split you have proposed are relatively easy to do but if I do have not a flag to represent them...

can try to find CoAs and event pics but my ability to create them is limited not nonexistent but limited

Well the fact is that IMHO an (High) Kingdom should have at least 3 Kingdom inside it to make a sense so I gave Nubia to it. In my mind it is not the Arab thing but is the Hellenistic Realm.
I tough that a restore Macedonia could have had sense but then I tought that would conflicted with the Roman Empire / Byzantium... a Greek in that epoch feels himself more "Roman" that "Greek", Macedon culture was totally forgotten. So I decided it was anti-historical. This Aegyptus exist as a component of constituent part of ERE and of Dar Al Islam been effectively a point of confict between these two worlds.

I don't think Nubia was Muslim in this age and neither did Rome ever control Nubia also Aegyptus already has Egypt, Jerusalem and Syria so that is three if anything maybe split Abyssina into Etheopia and Adal then that High kingdom would have three titles[/QUOTE]

This a little update on the mod progresses.

I have created a new government form: "Senatorial Republic": a form of government in which the Senate formed of Heads of Aristocratic families (Patricians) effectively rules the State with a figurehead called Consul elected between themselves acting as Head of State. This will be the ideal government form of "The Commune of Rome" and the other Italian Communes (that on the first Roman Republic were based).
Well this the formal definition but what in game implicates?
First I cannot use the vanilla Merchant Republic to simulate the Senate:
  1. Patricians cannot be used outside a "Merchant Republic" government. If you try after a day the Family Palace is destroyed: Game Over!
  2. In any case 5 families are too little to emulate a proper election: with parties (factions), all the intrigue the politics implicates and so on.
So I'm forced to use a Feudal Monarchy in which 24 families will fight for the control of "The Senatorial Republic", obviously I started from the original prototype of this form of government "The Commune of Rome" and so I need to add 19 families to Rome.
(If you interested in the technical details of how I have forced CK2 to accept character similar to "Patricians" on a Feudal Monarchy ask me).

And it is here that the problem starts! Where I find their history?
In "The Commune of Rome" thread DamianR was so king to give us this list of Roman families:

Crescenti, Frangipani, Pierleoni, Normanni, Corsi, Sassi, Latroni, Maximi (also called "Massimo"), Tusculi (Tusculum), Colonna, Franchi, Saraceni, Astaldi, Senebaldi, Duranti, Scotti, Ursini; Buccapecora, Curtabraca, Bulgamini, Boboni, Berardi, Bonfilioli, Boneschi, Berizo; Papazurri, Muti, Barunzii, Romani, Tebaldi, Stefani, Tiniosi, Franculini, Brazuti.

.Me added these families:

Conti di Segni - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conti_di_Segni
Savelli (or Sabelli) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savelli_family
Di Vico (Or Prefetti di Vico) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefetti_di_Vico
Mancini - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mancini_family

Excluding the 5 families that I have used for "The Commune of Rome" for the other I have really difficulty to find who was the head of the family? He was married? Who was is spouse? He had sons / daughters? To be honest for the 5 I have invented some sons too to make the family survive to the random death of the family head...
I can continue to invent but as it is an historical game well makes sense to have random character?

So I need your help for this:
  1. For at least 19 families I need who was the head of the family in 1143 and at least one of his sons the date of birth and death are needed
  2. Optionally if he had a spouse and other sons / daughter
  3. If some flavor story is present for the character from which traits could be obtained yet if not they will be randomized!
Thank you for your help.

Reactions: