• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just as Nestorius was about to reply to Favero's comment on the radio, he was interrupted by the toaster. He asks: "Why is there a toaster in the room?"

The better question is why not. Have you ever struggled with toasting bread in a frying pan? Always burning the bread after what seems like hours of cooking? Well not any longer. Thanks to innovations in technology, we can now enjoy toasted breaded within mere minutes. Endorsed by the Favero family, the Strite toaster can be found in stores all across the empire. Buy one now and a portion of the proceeds will go towards the restoration of destroyed houses and estates ruined by rebel scum, a most worthy cause. Restore the empire to its former glory one piece of toasted bread at a time.

- Senator Raphael Favero

((Not sure why I wrote that, but there it is. Raphael is turning into a parody. :p))

Nestorius just looked at Favero. Apparently, he hasn't realized that toasters are for kitchens, not for senates. He just shook his head, as he mumbled something about being too old for this. He decides to bring the conversation back to the radio.

"Anyway, I disagree with the notion that the radio will kill society and socialization. In fact, I believe that it can be a tool to further culture! I mean, one could use it to listen to classical music all day, as well as listen to the views of the people," he commented.

The better question is why not. Have you ever struggled with toasting bread in a frying pan? Always burning the bread after what seems like hours of cooking? Well not any longer. Thanks to innovations in technology, we can now enjoy toasted breaded within mere minutes. Endorsed by the Favero family, the Strite toaster can be found in stores all across the empire. Buy one now and a portion of the proceeds will go towards the restoration of destroyed houses and estates ruined by rebel scum, a most worthy cause. Restore the empire to its former glory one piece of toasted bread at a time.

- Senator Raphael Favero

((Not sure why I wrote that, but there it is. Raphael is turning into a parody. :p))
((And thus, the infomercial was born.))

Reactions:
Why shouldn't the Senate have its own toaster? Should we just starve here while discussing politics? And did I show you the film projector yet? It's amazing! Combine that with our radios and we could broadcast the Emperor's image and voice all across the Empire!

((Outside Jerusalem))

(Over the phone)
"Sir, the legion has arrived in position. Intel has detected large fortifications protecting much of the city. The wall is strong enough to deflect any conventional bombardment, but we have found a weak portion of the wall that we can break through."
"The Rebels are alerted to our presence. General Melissenos was hasty in rushing towards Jerusalem."
"He...He felt surprise was wiser—"
"He is as clumsy as he is stupid. General Dalassenos, prepare your troops for a surface attack. Let's put these new tanks to good use."
"Yes, sir."
(line cuts off)

The rebels crouched in their trenches, breathing in the dry desert air. Their rifles and gyro-guns ((Gatling guns)) were ready, pointed at the thick dust cloud gathering in the mountain pass that Rebel Base Masada guarded. For several minutes, there was only silence. Just when some rebels began to doubt the claims of the message sent that morning saying that an imperial legion was on the way, there was a loud WHUMP. And another one. And another.

There was a screech as several shells shot over their heads, slamming into the thick walls making up the base's fortifications. Rebels scrambled to man their anti-artillery defenses, but with the dust cloud still there they could hardly aim. The artillery bombardment continued for a whole five minutes, with shells landing at random all across the base. Men screamed as they were blasted to pieces or slashed by shrapnel. Whole sections of the wall simply crumbled under the assault.

And then it was over. The rebels got up from where they had been hiding, confused. Why did the Empire stop shooting at them? They warily manned their positions again, and some peered into binoculars, hoping to see through the dust cloud.

There was a shout from one rebel division when they spotted something move. A shadow appeared in the billowing dust, large and menacing. It slowly advanced through the dust, accompanied by the sound of a large whirring engine. More shadows appeared behind it, similarly shaped and similarly moving. They emerged from the dust cloud simultaneously, revealing their dark metallic bodies and heavy treads. It was a large metal beast, with guns sticking out of the side and the top.

"Fire!" shouted a rebel.

The rebels opened fire, unleashing a deadly hailstorm of bullets and mortar shells. Plumes of dirt erupted at the feet of the tanks, and rocks and soil exploded where mortars impacted the ground. But those bullets and shells that did hit the tanks simply bounced off with a solid THUD.

The tanks returned fire with their cannons and gyro-guns. BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM. The gunfire repeated itself methodically and constantly, decimating the rebel ranks. Men screamed as rounds slashed through their limbs and chests. The tanks fired their cannons, and the trenches exploded. Men went flying, while others toppled to their deaths when the walls supporting their platforms exploded and fell away beneath them. It was an utter massacre.

After one minute, the tanks' guns fell silent. Nobody in Masada returned fire. There was nobody left alive outside to shoot the Empire's troops. Imperial infantry marched up from behind the tanks, ready to storm what remained of the fortress.

Some rebels desperately rushed to the communications room, trying to alert Jerusalem to the attack. "Masada is under attack, repeat, Masada is under attack!" shouted one before he was shot in the back by the first Imperial trooper to enter the room.

General Ioannes Dalassenos, flanked by ten Imperial troopers, stormed into the room, ruthlessly gunning down any resistance with his pistol. "Secure the compound," he ordered, "Find the hostages before they move them to Jerusalem proper. Minister Doukas will have your heads if we fail to find her brother."

((So...not quite Battle of Hoth, but it was the best I could do.))

((So what is the Battle of Hoth that all of you keep mentioning? Also, how is Britannia doing?))

(( Hmmm…perhaps not quite that then. I know that thanks to the game mechanics, the Imperial family has the potential to exert a lot of control over firms (even if they don't), but I'm not really sure what form that would take. I'm a software guy, not a legal or business guy after all. Any suggestions (from anyone with the relevant kinds of knowledge) that would explain that phenomenon? ))

((My exposure to business started and ended at university, but if you want the Crown to have a vested interest in commerce, I could suggest three options for use together or alone:

1. An Imperial observer sits on the board of major companies, presumably those making over a certain threshold to avoid ridiculous bureaucracy costs. Said observer could make 'suggestions' if the company seems to be hewing far from Imperial policy.
2. All companies floating on the stock exchange must allow the Crown the option to purchase a certain amount of company stock at a reasonable price, if the Royal Family is so inclined. Presumably, the Emperor would have various economic advisers on hand to help them make the right choices.
3. All people registering at Companies House (or the local equivalent) are subject to Imperial veto, which in practice would probably be managed by the Ministry of Commerce. Since such a veto would likely extend to any monopoly or merger concerns or even to new companies moving into the Empire, even that alone would give a certain amount of control over the Empire's commerce, especially if combined with option 1 or 2.))

The better question is why not. Have you ever struggled with toasting bread in a frying pan? Always burning the bread after what seems like hours of cooking?..."

Alexios seems intrigued by the bizarre smell of toast in the senate chambers.

"I must say," he mutters to no one in particular, "the Boule is moving up in the world if even the refreshments are well-bred."

Reactions:
((So what is the Battle of Hoth that all of you keep mentioning? Also, how is Britannia doing?))
((It's something that occurs in Star Wars, specifically in The Empire Strikes Back.))
((My exposure to business started and ended at university, but if you want the Crown to have a vested interest in commerce, I could suggest three options for use together or alone:

1. An Imperial observer sits on the board of major companies, presumably those making over a certain threshold to avoid ridiculous bureaucracy costs. Said observer could make 'suggestions' if the company seems to be hewing far from Imperial policy.
2. All companies floating on the stock exchange must allow the Crown the option to purchase a certain amount of company stock at a reasonable price, if the Royal Family is so inclined. Presumably, the Emperor would have various economic advisers on hand to help them make the right choices.
3. All people registering at Companies House (or the local equivalent) are subject to Imperial veto, which in practice would probably be managed by the Ministry of Commerce. Since such a veto would likely extend to any monopoly or merger concerns or even to new companies moving into the Empire, even that alone would give a certain amount of control over the Empire's commerce, especially if combined with option 1 or 2.))

"I must say," he mutters to no one in particular, "the Boule is moving up in the world if even the refreshments are well-bred."

Theodora sips from some high quality Chinese tea. "You don't say..."

Reactions:

(( I would say all three, to all extent.

#1 would have been much more heavy-handed before, but coupled with massive subsidies and investment. After the reforms making the market more free (and fixing the coal shortage and budget difficulties), it would be pretty minor. Though in a conversion to HoI, it would explain the means of everything being refocused towards war.

#2 would be more common now. Certainly I'm still expanding nearly full factories nearly everything month (less so since the current crises began), even if there are no subsidies being given. I would think this is the mechanism used.

#3 I like because trust-busting can be a great good. It and #2 probably are the mechanisms by which I destroy closed factories (or did before occupations caused the closures).

I'm going to copy all of this to my notes for potential future use in writing things up. Thanks so much for your thoughts! ))

We must agree that the bread toaster is an amazing invention. It's one of so many conveniences being invented by and for the peoples of the Empire. We are not too worried about the danger of radio, as it requires a specified frequency to operate a radio network. Any truly damaging networks could easily be shut down. But better yet, these radio networks make it far easier to monitor opinion throughout the Empire. No doubt the minister of intelligence finds them the greatest of boons.

In any case, Senators, thank you for your time. We will reconvene the Senate in another month or when there is pressing news.

103. The Time of Troubles - Senate Responses
Kids these days and their radios. Back in my day you had to actually socialize with your friends instead of sitting around some talking box listening to someone half the empire away.

A popping sound comes from the side of the room and several nearby senators jump. Raphael scurries over to where a toaster sits and take a bite of some freshly toasted bread.

Sorry about that. It's just my breakfast. These new-fangled toasters are quite a wonder.

- Senator Raphael Favero

Just as Nestorius was about to reply to Favero's comment on the radio, he was interrupted by the toaster. He asks: "Why is there a toaster in the room?"

- Senator Raphael Favero

Nestorius just looked at Favero. Apparently, he hasn't realized that toasters are for kitchens, not for senates. He just shook his head, as he mumbled something about being too old for this. He decides to bring the conversation back to the radio.

"Anyway, I disagree with the notion that the radio will kill society and socialization. In fact, I believe that it can be a tool to further culture! I mean, one could use it to listen to classical music all day, as well as listen to the views of the people," he commented.

Why shouldn't the Senate have its own toaster? Should we just starve here while discussing politics? And did I show you the film projector yet? It's amazing! Combine that with our radios and we could broadcast the Emperor's image and voice all across the Empire!

((Outside Jerusalem))

(Over the phone)
"Sir, the legion has arrived in position. Intel has detected large fortifications protecting much of the city. The wall is strong enough to deflect any conventional bombardment, but we have found a weak portion of the wall that we can break through."
"The Rebels are alerted to our presence. General Melissenos was hasty in rushing towards Jerusalem."
"He...He felt surprise was wiser—"
"He is as clumsy as he is stupid. General Dalassenos, prepare your troops for a surface attack. Let's put these new tanks to good use."
"Yes, sir."
(line cuts off)

The rebels crouched in their trenches, breathing in the dry desert air. Their rifles and gyro-guns ((Gatling guns)) were ready, pointed at the thick dust cloud gathering in the mountain pass that Rebel Base Masada guarded. For several minutes, there was only silence. Just when some rebels began to doubt the claims of the message sent that morning saying that an imperial legion was on the way, there was a loud WHUMP. And another one. And another.

There was a screech as several shells shot over their heads, slamming into the thick walls making up the base's fortifications. Rebels scrambled to man their anti-artillery defenses, but with the dust cloud still there they could hardly aim. The artillery bombardment continued for a whole five minutes, with shells landing at random all across the base. Men screamed as they were blasted to pieces or slashed by shrapnel. Whole sections of the wall simply crumbled under the assault.

And then it was over. The rebels got up from where they had been hiding, confused. Why did the Empire stop shooting at them? They warily manned their positions again, and some peered into binoculars, hoping to see through the dust cloud.

There was a shout from one rebel division when they spotted something move. A shadow appeared in the billowing dust, large and menacing. It slowly advanced through the dust, accompanied by the sound of a large whirring engine. More shadows appeared behind it, similarly shaped and similarly moving. They emerged from the dust cloud simultaneously, revealing their dark metallic bodies and heavy treads. It was a large metal beast, with guns sticking out of the side and the top.

"Fire!" shouted a rebel.

The rebels opened fire, unleashing a deadly hailstorm of bullets and mortar shells. Plumes of dirt erupted at the feet of the tanks, and rocks and soil exploded where mortars impacted the ground. But those bullets and shells that did hit the tanks simply bounced off with a solid THUD.

The tanks returned fire with their cannons and gyro-guns. BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM. The gunfire repeated itself methodically and constantly, decimating the rebel ranks. Men screamed as rounds slashed through their limbs and chests. The tanks fired their cannons, and the trenches exploded. Men went flying, while others toppled to their deaths when the walls supporting their platforms exploded and fell away beneath them. It was an utter massacre.

After one minute, the tanks' guns fell silent. Nobody in Masada returned fire. There was nobody left alive outside to shoot the Empire's troops. Imperial infantry marched up from behind the tanks, ready to storm what remained of the fortress.

Some rebels desperately rushed to the communications room, trying to alert Jerusalem to the attack. "Masada is under attack, repeat, Masada is under attack!" shouted one before he was shot in the back by the first Imperial trooper to enter the room.

General Ioannes Dalassenos, flanked by ten Imperial troopers, stormed into the room, ruthlessly gunning down any resistance with his pistol. "Secure the compound," he ordered, "Find the hostages before they move them to Jerusalem proper. Minister Doukas will have your heads if we fail to find her brother."

Theodora sips from some high quality Chinese tea. "You don't say..."

We must agree that the bread toaster is an amazing invention. It's one of so many conveniences being invented by and for the peoples of the Empire. We are not too worried about the danger of radio, as it requires a specified frequency to operate a radio network. Any truly damaging networks could easily be shut down. But better yet, these radio networks make it far easier to monitor opinion throughout the Empire. No doubt the minister of intelligence finds them the greatest of boons.

In any case, Senators, thank you for your time. We will reconvene the Senate in another month or when there is pressing news.

Last edited:
103. The Time of Troubles - November-December 1910
17 December 1910

Senators,

The modern framework of social science was established this month, and We asked the humanities department to research just what makes groups of people feel alienated. We hope that this will help reintegrate the Empire once the fighting is complete.
103-30.png

103-31.png

The need for safety regulations in the Empire's factories was an obvious reform, and We passed it.
103-32.png

The Battle of Maribor was finally won, ensuring the safety of Pannonia for the foreseeable future.
103-33.png

Unfortunately, the Italian push towards Naples is continuing to be successful, completely crushing XXXXIV. Legio and forcing them to retreat to the bottom of the peninsula. Reports suggest that they have means of defending against gas attacks, and are able to use those attacks against the legions with impunity.
103-34.png

In other bad news, on 8 December 1910, Ukraine capitulated to Russia in the Great War. We do not blame them, as they were completely occupied, but this means that Russian forces will be able to focus on attacking the Empire instead.
103-35.png

In the east, both Azerbaijan and Israel are ready to fall, but Russia and Persia have been pushing into Our territory, and the legions will be hard pressed to find a good line to hold.
103-36.png

West Africa is nearly under Our complete control, which should free up some legions for other tasks.
103-37.png

The occupation of Spain has begun, but will take some time to give results.
103-38.png

In a different front, the UTA have occupied nearly all of Kanata, and are making exorbitant demands on them as well. We suspect that We will soon be able to broker a peace.
103-39.png

103-40.png

Finally, these two newspapers have been published this last month and are considered significant by the archivists.
103-41.png

103-42.png

Last edited:
Reactions:

(( Sorry, I missed this earlier. As @zenphoenix mentioned, it's from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (the whole first acts of the film). As for Britannia/The Worker's Commonwealth, they have conquered Wales, and are assisting France in its wars against Burgundy and Flanders-Wallonia. As France was getting its butt kicked, they're the reason France is still in the game, and occupied provinces in both countries. Britannia is also the #9 power in the world (!), mostly due to their industry. They might take some effort to knock out, especially as it'll take time to get a border with them. ))

((As for Britannia/The Worker's Commonwealth, they have conquered Wales, and are assisting France in its wars against Burgundy and Flanders-Wallonia. As France was getting its butt kicked, they're the reason France is still in the game, and occupied provinces in both countries. Britannia is also the #9 power in the world (!), mostly due to their industry. They might take some effort to knock out, especially as it'll take time to get a border with them. ))

((If Brittania continues being as successful as they are, logically, the other rebel states might get inspired to follow in their footsteps and become communists too. Maybe even inspire communists in other countries to take up arms.))

((If Brittania continues being as successful as they are, logically, the other rebel states might get inspired to follow in their footsteps and become communists too. Maybe even inspire communists in other countries to take up arms.))
((Nah, entrenched interests are too strong.))
Bah, these "newspapers" keep getting the facts wrong! What is "Brazil"?
-Senator Tolbert Palaiologos

Alexios looks perplexed on hearing about the Battle of Maribor. "The forces under Strategos Trikoupis engaged an army twice their size and not only defeated them, but utterly annihilated them? I am not sure whether to be impressed or alarmed!"

He looks over the reports from Italy. "Damn Lombardi for a traitorous fool, but he and his ill-gotten forces are proving far more formidable than I thought they would. Is there a recent update on the Italian borders?"

I'm going to copy all of this to my notes for potential future use in writing things up. Thanks so much for your thoughts! ))

((That's no problem at all. I'm happy to help! :D))

Nestorius pitches in. "I think that is an alternate name for the area which the English control. If that's the case, then the English will have to worry over their racial issues a bit more," he comments. "It is good to hear that West Africa, Kanata, Israel and Azerbaijan are going to fall, but the news of Ukrainian capitulation is worrying. Hopefully we can handle it."

Hairini, having calmed down significantly, reads the editorial about feminism. She disapproves of it, but isn't sure whether she should comment. Perhaps Teodora's opinion might change her mind.

Alexios looks perplexed on hearing about the Battle of Maribor. "The forces under Strategos Trikoupis engaged an army twice their size and not only defeated them, but utterly annihilated them? I am not sure whether to be impressed or alarmed!"

He looks over the reports from Italy. "Damn Lombardi for a traitorous fool, but he and his ill-gotten forces are proving far more formidable than I thought they would. Is there a recent update on the Italian borders?"

((That's no problem at all. I'm happy to help! :D))
"I hear Trikoupis is already being hailed as the 'Hero of Maribor' for destroying such a large German army," said Theodora, "It's like the shame and disgrace of the First Empire at Teutoberg Forest has been reversed and avenged! It is highly likely that we'll see more of this brilliant man. Perhaps Dalassenos will promote him to the General Staff. On the Italian situation, it appears that Lombardi's men aren't as incompetent at warfare as our cartoons and stereotypes suggest. Although several hundred have already defected to our side, most of the rebel scum are loyal to Lombardi and fight like devils. I would prefer if they go back to whatever rebel scum do, like dying."

((Nah, entrenched interests are too strong.))
Nestorius pitches in. "I think that is an alternate name for the area which the English control. If that's the case, then the English will have to worry over their racial issues a bit more," he comments. "It is good to hear that West Africa, Kanata, Israel and Azerbaijan are going to fall, but the news of Ukrainian capitulation is worrying. Hopefully we can handle it."

Hairini, having calmed down significantly, reads the editorial about feminism. She disapproves of it, but isn't sure whether she should comment. Perhaps Teodora's opinion might change her mind.
"I believe that yes, "Brazil" is a name used to refer to the region that the English currently inhabit. Though why they would refer to the English Navy as "Brazilian" is beyond me," Theodora said, "And the more rebel scum surrender to the might of the Empire, the better. We need more soldiers and resources to push back the Russian menace. Ukraine's losses shall be avenged by the blood of the Slavs!"

Theodora quickly scanned the newspaper again when Hairini mentioned her name. She soon found the article in question, a scathing critique of this new idea of "feminism." It appeared to be quite one-sided and obviously biased against it. Of course, it was written by a man.

"First off, I don't like this editorial," she said, "It's biased and unfair. It presents only one side of the argument, and the author, who has a male name, does a really bad job at trying to support his argument. In some places the evidence of so-called 'depravity' seems forced and twisted out of context. In other places he actually ends up arguing the opposite that feminism is not that bad. Is this man even a trained social scientist? I want to see his credentials! And what is wrong about feminism anyways? Why, some actually trained social scientists have conducted an experiment which, while not conclusive yet, seems to imply that women are better drivers than men (though that may be the result of statistical errors or limitations). Am I doing a horrible job as Minister of Security and Imperial Senator? The Ministry hasn't burned down yet and the Secret Police isn't running out of control. We are discussing political matters here in a civil manner, far from the 'depravity' the author claims that I would bring. And if 'feminism' was bad, then why did the Emperor appoint me as both Senator and Minister in the first place? And take a look at the Chinese and Indians and Japanese and Persians! They've granted more rights to their women, much like we allowed our women to work in factories ((assuming we're going with Victorian-era socio-industrial trends)), and look at their industrial strength! They're rapidly catching up to us! We must treat all Romans with the respect they deserve according to the values of Romanitas and the legal codes of great emperors such as Iustinianos I, where all citizens are equal under the law regardless of cultural, religious, or social identity. I would really like to go on and on about this, but I'm just so interested in this crossword puzzle that the newspaper has provided right next to the editorial! Let me see...R-E-B-E-L-S-C-U-M...yeah that works...and done!"

Theodora looked up. "Anybody else want to try? We've got enough copies of the paper to go around!"

Theodora quickly scanned the newspaper again when Hairini mentioned her name.

((Hairini didn't mentioned her name. That was just a sentence to get you in action.))

"...I would really like to go on and on about this, but I'm just so interested in this crossword puzzle that the newspaper has provided right next to the editorial! Let me see...R-E-B-E-L-S-C-U-M...yeah that works...and done!"

Theodora looked up. "Anybody else want to try? We've got enough copies of the paper to go around!"

Hairini was mesmerized; Theodora had said everything that needed to be said on the topic. She was close to cheering her on, but she realized that doing so would be uncultured. She turned to Nestorius, asking what party she's in, but she gets disappointed by the fact that the Foiderátoi doesn't support full citizenship. Upon the mention of the crossword puzzle, Nestorius chimed in.

"I believe the row here," Nestorius pointed to it on the paper, "says R-E-V-O-L-T. Whoever put in 'Has Been Happening For The Last Few Years' as the hint is really cheeky, I tell you what!" he commented.

Here's a good one. "Traitors to the empire and manipulators of the working class." Let's see if this fits. C-O-M-M-U-N-I-S-T... yes, it does indeed. These crosswords are so simple these days.

- Senator Raphael Favero

Alexios looks over at his fellow Patrician. "I'm sure that if the editor of Greece Today had his way, Raphael, the answer to your clue would have been F-E-M-I-N-I-S-T-S."