• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Naples - Nestorius Septiadis
Italy - Leonardo Favero​
((Is Septiadis now Favero's junior governor or is Naples just really super important?))

(( Ah thanks. How embarrassing to have missed that. Tough choice on the liberal parties. It would un-Roman to be a pacifist. I think I'll go with Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM) they're under-represented. ))

((Tto be a pacifist is non-Roman, so you got around that by picking literally the only pacifist party in the line-up? :p))

Reactions:
((Is Septiadis now Favero's junior governor or is Naples just really super important?))

((I imagine Italy here refers to northern Italy.))

Reactions:
Reactions:
((I suppose that you could also have gone for Italia and either Neapolis or Magna Graecia. Also, what about using Despot instead of Governor? Up to you. :)))

Reactions:
(( We should probably switch terms. I mean, there's a great deal of translation convention going on, but a little flavor never hurt.

I'm working on putting together the census (it's not as automated as I'd have hoped), but I'm going to be out of town this weekend. Sorry, all! ))

((I suppose that you could also have gone for Italia and either Neapolis or Magna Graecia. Also, what about using Despot instead of Governor? Up to you. :)))
((Despot isn't accurate as governor. Propraetor or proconsul is more accurate. And where are the consuls for the year!?! Did you see the maps I gave you?))

Reactions:
((Private - In Alexios Doukas's mind))
While the senators were busy discussing what would be the better names for the provincial governors, Alexios thought back to those dark days, when the Jacobin menace stormed into the city, thirty-six thousand of them. Angry peasants, unpaid soldiers, the homeless and the unemployed, all angry at the state and Church for abandoning them, outraged that they had to suffer while to them the Patriarch and Empress "swam in lakes of gold," as one Jacobin newspaper claimed before it was shut down by the government.
Luckily Alexios was on vacation in Thessaloniki when the rebels laid siege to the Queen of Cities, but his son Konstantinos wasn't so lucky. The Athenian Lancers were on the front lines when the rebellion began, and the three thousand lancers were swarmed by over ten thousand angry peasants, led by a Slavic-looking man with an eyepatch, who shouted that the "tyranny of the madwoman shall be crushed" to his followers.
By the time the Scholai Palatinae was forced to retreat, only a handful of Lancers had managed to fight their way out of the mob. The rest were torn to pieces, their bodies desecrated and some even offered up to the Black God by zealous converts to Ignatieff's paganism.
Konstantinos barely made it out alive, his right leg severely injured, leaving him with a permanent limp, and his right hand (his gun hand) barely able to hold things and write, much less swing a sword or shoot a pistol. There was a burn scar over his right eye and a nasty scar running down his back from where a Jacobin used a scythe to torture him.
His son was alive, but scarred. Alexios sensed that something was wrong with his thinking after the rebellion, even ten years later. Konstantinos didn't want to help out with his younger brother Michael's University projects, despite promising to before the rebellion. Where he showed respect for the cultures of others he now showed hatred of all things Slavic and Jacobin. He refused to interact with anyone of the "lower classes," the "plebeians," not even his own servants.
Konstantinos wanted to be treated like royalty, like he was above the citizens of Rome, like he was the Emperor. But that would be treason, wouldn't it? Alexios thought.
For the last few years, he and his men had been keeping an eye on Konstantinos and had included amendments to his will leaving his property and titles and Senatorship to Michael should Konstantinos snap, which was inevitable.
What worried Alexios was when that would occur.

Reactions:
((Despot isn't accurate as governor. Propraetor or proconsul is more accurate. And where are the consuls for the year!?! Did you see the maps I gave you?))

((Then that's a different Translation Convention, which assumes we're still using Latin terms, 1300 years after the death of Justinian the Great, as opposed to simply doing everything in English because none of us speak Greek.

By the way, am I being daft, Idhrendur, or have you assigned us the province in which our character live? I'm not very observant, you see. :p))

Reactions:
((Then that's a different Translation Convention, which assumes we're still using Latin terms, 1300 years after the death of Justinian the Great, as opposed to simply doing everything in English because none of us speak Greek.

By the way, am I being daft, Idhrendur, or have you assigned us the province in which our character live? I'm not very observant, you see. :p))
((I assumed Idhrendur managed to reform the empire along imperial lines, meaning there would be proconsuls and propraetors. If the empire is still a feudal, aristocratic country, then despot makes more sense.))

Reactions:
((I don't think so I reside in Caledonia/Britannia but am Govenor of Retia))
((Well I came from Britannia and I am governor of it so there can't be two governors of the same province.))

((Fair enough I suppose))

(Sharpens Sgian-duhb and takes claymore off the wall))

Reactions:
(( I'm back in town, but now trying to make up for missed hours at work when I left. Census is still in progress, but I thought I'd reply to OOC stuff for now, at least. ))

(( Do we need to do something as Governors? Include some informations about our governorship in Senate sessions? Or is it just a title? ))

(( Just a title, but you can feel free to RP stuff with it if you'd like. If you want to provide reports, I can track what happens in the different regions as I play and send information. If anyone wants me to do so, let me know. ))

((Oh crap I mixed up characters again, sorry about that, deleted that post as it was incorrect and not in character))

((I'm really enjoying reading this. I'd like to join as a senator. Also, if I can make a request, what are the political affiliations of all of the senators again? By the number in each party.))

((Introduction of character and some backstory))

((Name: Heraclius Komnenos
Birthdate: September 20th, 1841, in Constantinople
Party Affiliation: Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM)- Liberal Party
Biography: Born of the son of an influential noble in his townhouse in Constantinople. The Komnenos family traces it's lineage back over an 800 years in it's genealogical records and it's well known that the family traveled with Constantine when he founded Constantinople. Heraclius grew up much like many young nobles. He lived in the city with occasional trips to the countryside and ancestral lands. He was a restless young man, however, constantly traversing the city and engaging with it's lower classes. He consorted with merchants, blacksmiths, cooks, and others. His experience constantly left him impressed by the intellect that the people showed and the diligence they showed in a cruel life. He entered Constantinople's University and studied the humanities (One of the few Greeks in the department!) and philosophy. He was impressed by the political and ideological thoughts produced there and became adamant in his support for more liberal political policies. However, he maintained that the Roman Empire held a special place in human affairs. That the government should be reformed with universal suffrage for all people and a political body that reflected the population. However, he believed that the head of state and head of government should be the Doukas Imperial Family. They have restored the empire and have shown judgment and foresight, as well as the benefits of the stability, decisiveness, and swiftness of action that this gives to the government. After his graduation from University, Heraclius joined the military and remained in service progressing through the ranks till a year ago. In the last year, Heraclius has been influential in forming and directing political movements that are demanding a degree of democracy. When his father died, he left to him a position in the Senate which was greatly disputed amongst his siblings. (They didn't want to be connected to a person they thought of as a radical.) He joined the Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM) because of their similarities on core values, however, he supports a more interventionist foreign policy than is normal party line.

Basically, a Prussian Constitutionalist who advocates Free Trade, Interventionism, Pluralism, Full Citizenship, Anti-Military. On social reforms, he supports some safety regulations and high education. He may, if he feels the people strongly support it, support a low minimum wage or work hours. ))

Edit: changed party and added a bit about party connection

(( You've been added to the list of characters. We'll have to see about making you a governor/doux/procounsel when I post the census. ))

((Shouldn't governors be called proconsuls or propraetors? Also, here are three useful maps: Old map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:Augusto_30aC_-_6dC_55%CS_jpg.JPG

Newer, more accurate map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:Roman_Empire_125_political_map.png

And a nother map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_province#/media/File:RomanEmpire_117.svg

I understand we do not have enough senators to fill every province so you can combine provinces and make NPC characters to temporarily fill the posts.))

(( I actually used the first of those to help me name regions I didn't already have a name for. Though that was late in the process. I'll confess I'm being hopelessly inconsistent, but maybe when I get the census post up regions can be given better names for use in this AAR. ))

((I assumed Idhrendur managed to reform the empire along imperial lines, meaning there would be proconsuls and propraetors. If the empire is still a feudal, aristocratic country, then despot makes more sense.))

((I don't think so I reside in Caledonia/Britannia but am Govenor of Retia))

((Well I came from Britannia and I am governor of it so there can't be two governors of the same province.))

((Fair enough I suppose))

(( I did my best to assign provinces to characters have a connection to the province. But as you noticed, there were some where that didn't work, and a lot of characters without enough background for that to work. As for the name, I expect the Senate will work that out amoung themselves. ;)

To help with that, here's the history of the nature of Imperial authority (at least, as I remember what I imagined the backstory to be. I'm not rereading the back posts at this time, so I may have written things a bit differently):
During the CK2 era, imperial authority got eroded so that many Doux were essentially feudal lords. The Emperors sought to regain direct authority, but that took quite some time. In fact, thanks to how the CK2->EU3 converter worked, on day one all the releasable nations within the Empire (nearly one per province!) had visible armies of their own, which disappeared on day two, as those nations were just cores. I imagined those to be the personal armies of the different lords, an invisible threat to the Emperor. So the Emperors instituted a series of local developments throughout the Empire (essentially the EU3 government buildings): local record-keeping and basic civil services (weddings, funerals, registration of births) through the local churches (temple); local courts under the authority of the Emperor, competing with and over time eroding local lords' authority over legal matters (courthouse); networks of agents reporting local conditions to Constantinople (spy agency); local town and village governments operating completely separately from the lords (town hall). So a civil structure connected directly to the bureaucracy in Constantinople is slowly being put into place, while still paying lip service to the importance of different lords, some of which control country-sized chunks of land. At the same time, it becomes easier for merchants to become part of the upper classes, eroding the importance of land holding. Eventually, these lords rebel in mass, and legally they become just large landholders (it's implied that there is a continuing battle of influence). Importantly, they are no longer allowed to have personal armies. A hundred years later, this timeline's equivalent of Versailles is built across the Bosphorus. It becomes the place to be if you want a government job (which are becoming more important, and become even more important as the result of these changes), and so the most dangerous nobles are effectively separated from their power base back home (I had modded in a decision to invite them, which removed non-Imperial cores in their province and added a bit of culture, at the cost of a diplomat and some prestige). There had also always been close Imperial advisors (sometimes serving as regency councils), and eventually they became a formal cabinet. Then there was the disastrous fifteen years of silence from the Royal Palace. The bureaucracy kept things going, and between the cabinet and several other notables the Empire was kept running until Empress Veronica was crowned. They called themselves the Senate as a hearkening to the past of the Empire. Veronica appointed these notables as Senators, establishing that she's the one in charge in a way that didn't induce them to try and resist (they'd probably have succeeded had they tried). She also took control of the bureaucracy. Forty-four years later, with nearly a full generation of Senators past, the memory that the Empire didn't need an Empress/Emperor ha faded. The Senators are now more clearly under her control, and with the telegraph, they can be trusted to be instruments of her will throughout the Empire.

))

(( I'm back in town, but now trying to make up for missed hours at work when I left. Census is still in progress, but I thought I'd reply to OOC stuff for now, at least. ))

(( Just a title, but you can feel free to RP stuff with it if you'd like. If you want to provide reports, I can track what happens in the different regions as I play and send information. If anyone wants me to do so, let me know. ))

(( You've been added to the list of characters. We'll have to see about making you a governor/doux/procounsel when I post the census. ))

(( I actually used the first of those to help me name regions I didn't already have a name for. Though that was late in the process. I'll confess I'm being hopelessly inconsistent, but maybe when I get the census post up regions can be given better names for use in this AAR. ))

(( I did my best to assign provinces to characters have a connection to the province. But as you noticed, there were some where that didn't work, and a lot of characters without enough background for that to work. As for the name, I expect the Senate will work that out amoung themselves. ;)

To help with that, here's the history of the nature of Imperial authority (at least, as I remember what I imagined the backstory to be. I'm not rereading the back posts at this time, so I may have written things a bit differently):
During the CK2 era, imperial authority got eroded so that many Doux were essentially feudal lords. The Emperors sought to regain direct authority, but that took quite some time. In fact, thanks to how the CK2->EU3 converter worked, on day one all the releasable nations within the Empire (nearly one per province!) had visible armies of their own, which disappeared on day two, as those nations were just cores. I imagined those to be the personal armies of the different lords, an invisible threat to the Emperor. So the Emperors instituted a series of local developments throughout the Empire (essentially the EU3 government buildings): local record-keeping and basic civil services (weddings, funerals, registration of births) through the local churches (temple); local courts under the authority of the Emperor, competing with and over time eroding local lords' authority over legal matters (courthouse); networks of agents reporting local conditions to Constantinople (spy agency); local town and village governments operating completely separately from the lords (town hall). So a civil structure connected directly to the bureaucracy in Constantinople is slowly being put into place, while still paying lip service to the importance of different lords, some of which control country-sized chunks of land. At the same time, it becomes easier for merchants to become part of the upper classes, eroding the importance of land holding. Eventually, these lords rebel in mass, and legally they become just large landholders (it's implied that there is a continuing battle of influence). Importantly, they are no longer allowed to have personal armies. A hundred years later, this timeline's equivalent of Versailles is built across the Bosphorus. It becomes the place to be if you want a government job (which are becoming more important, and become even more important as the result of these changes), and so the most dangerous nobles are effectively separated from their power base back home (I had modded in a decision to invite them, which removed non-Imperial cores in their province and added a bit of culture, at the cost of a diplomat and some prestige). There had also always been close Imperial advisors (sometimes serving as regency councils), and eventually they became a formal cabinet. Then there was the disastrous fifteen years of silence from the Royal Palace. The bureaucracy kept things going, and between the cabinet and several other notables the Empire was kept running until Empress Veronica was crowned. They called themselves the Senate as a hearkening to the past of the Empire. Veronica appointed these notables as Senators, establishing that she's the one in charge in a way that didn't induce them to try and resist (they'd probably have succeeded had they tried). She also took control of the bureaucracy. Forty-four years later, with nearly a full generation of Senators past, the memory that the Empire didn't need an Empress/Emperor ha faded. The Senators are now more clearly under her control, and with the telegraph, they can be trusted to be instruments of her will throughout the Empire.

))
((Ah, okay. Makes sense. So I guess it is a return to propraetors and proconsuls? You could make a new name for governors such as praefectus, praesidi, or kyvernítis, more modern forms of governors if you so wished.))

(( Ah thanks. How embarrassing to have missed that. Tough choice on the liberal parties. It would un-Roman to be a pacifist. I think I'll go with Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱ (XKM) they're under-represented. ))
((Tto be a pacifist is non-Roman, so you got around that by picking literally the only pacifist party in the line-up? :p))

((Shoot. I must have made a mistake. I meant to pick the pro-military one. Oh well, he just supports citizenship for all non-Greeks, more than he supports the military I suppose.))

((Ah, okay. Makes sense. So I guess it is a return to propraetors and proconsuls? You could make a new name for governors such as praefectus, praesidi, or kyvernítis, more modern forms of governors if you so wished.))

(( Again, I'll let the Senators figure that one out. Probably everyone will use a different title. :) ))

((Shoot. I must have made a mistake. I meant to pick the pro-military one. Oh well, he just supports citizenship for all non-Greeks, more than he supports the military I suppose.))

(( If you'd like, I can shuffle you to a different party. As there's no voting, it's just a matter of moving your name on the Dramatis Personae. ))

94. 1880 - The Imperial Census
Senators,

The census is now ready.
94-1.png

Let us start in the north, in Britannia. When Brazil was traded to England for them to cede their claims on Britain, most of the staunchly English peoples emigrated to England's New World territories. Those that remained took up Greek customs over the years, and now the only significant population of English-speakers are centered around London and Canterbury, which they dominate. In the north of England, there are populations of Norwegians dating from their domination of the island, and a sizable population of Scots in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Southern and western Wales hold to their roots, whereas northern Wales has assimilated to Greek culture. The island of Britannia is considered two provinces: Britannia and Wales. In all, 6.85 Million people live on Britain.

Next, Gallia. In the low countries to the northeast, the Flemish dominate in the Eindhoven region and Vlaanderen. To their south, in the western half of Wallonie and the inland portions of Picardie, are the Walloon peoples. In the rest of Picardie, nearly all of Champagne, all of Ile de France, most of Normandy, and a little of Loire, are the Franks. The northern part of Brittany is filled with Bretons. In the south, particularly Aquitaine, Poitou, Le Midi, and Provence, are the Aquitaine peoples. They also are the main population of Lyon. And much of the eastern Gaulish lands are ruled by a Germanic people who consider themselves Burgundian. Much of Gaul is predominately Greek-speaking, and the regions that are not have significant Greek populations. Gallia is considered to be five provinces: Aquitaine, Belgium, Brittany, Burgundy, and France. In all, 15.51 million people live in Gaul.

Iberia is primarily Castilian, with significant Andalusian populations along the southern and eastern coasts and inland. North along the Pyrenees many of the people have taken to Green customs. On the coast of Catalonia is another significant population of Aquitaine people, and in the northeast there are Basque people still holding to their ancient ways. The Iberian peninsula is considered two provinces: Catalonia and Spain. In all, 6.00 million people live in Iberia.

Almost all of the Italian peninsula adopted Greek long ago. But in the northern half there are significant populations of Italians, with some German communities as well. The Italian peninsula is considered to be three provinces: Italy, Naples, and Sicily. In all, 8.99 million people live on the Italian peninsula.

Raetia is a smallish province between Italy and Bavaria. As can be expected from a border province, it has significant populations of Germans, mostly in the east. Also in the east is a large community of Hungarians. In the west, it is primarily Greek. There are no major subdivisions of Raetia. In all, 1.66 million people live in Raetia.

The rest of the Empire to the Hellespont is almost entirely Greek, but for a Hungarian population in northern and western Pannonia. This vast region consists of five provinces: Dalmatia, Macedonia, Moesia, Pannonia, Thracia. In all, 10.81 million people live in this region.

East of the Hellespont is also almost entirely Greek, with Tartars and Russians north of the Caucasus Mountains on the border with Russia, and major Sephardi population in Judea. This also vast region consists of seven provinces: Asia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Judea, Syria, and Trans-Caucusia. In all, 4.98 million people live in this region.

The northern part of the continent of Africa is again mostly Greek, with scattered Berber populations, and a significant English population in the far west. This region consists of three provinces: Africa, Egypt, and Mauretania. In all, 4.43 million people live in this region.

Most of the rest of Africa does not have the bureaucracy in place to take a census. Except for the province of South Africa. In the west, South Africa is Somali, and in the east a Tartar population brackets an Oromo one. In all, 0.92 million people live in this province.

Across the Atlantic, Guyana is Greek, and the nearby islands are Caribeno and Afro-Caribeno. There are two provinces in this region: Guyana and the Caribbean Islands. In all 0.58 million people live in this region.

Oceania is a mish-mash of colonies and provinces, and did not get data back to Constantinople in time for this census. The map has been painted in the Greek colors for convenience.

While the primary language of government is Greek; Castillian, French, and Italian are also commonly used.

If any Senators have recommendations for redrawing the provinces, or wish to govern a different province than they have been assigned, please let Us know.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Senators,

The census is now ready.

Let us start in the north, in Britannia. When Brazil was traded to England for them to cede their claims on Britain, most of the staunchly English peoples emigrated to England's New World territories. Those that remained took up Greek customs over the years, and now the only significant population of English-speakers are centered around London and Canterbury, which they dominate. In the north of England, there are populations of Norwegians dating from their domination of the island, and a sizable population of Scots in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Southern and western Wales hold to their roots, whereas northern Wales has assimilated to Greek culture. The island of Britannia is considered two provinces: Britannia and Wales. In all, 6.85 Million people live on Britain.

Next, Gallia. In the low countries to the northeast, the Flemish dominate in the Eindhoven region and Vlaanderen. To their south, in the western half of Wallonie and the inland portions of Picardie, are the Walloon peoples. In the rest of Picardie, nearly all of Champagne, all of Ile de France, most of Normandy, and a little of Loire, are the Franks. The northern part of Brittany is filled with Bretons. In the south, particularly Aquitaine, Poitou, Le Midi, and Provence, are the Aquitaine peoples. They also are the main population of Lyon. And much of the eastern Gaulish lands are ruled by a Germanic people who consider themselves Burgundian. Much of Gaul is predominately Greek-speaking, and the regions that are not have significant Greek populations. Gallia is considered to be five provinces: Aquitaine, Belgium, Brittany, Burgundy, and France. In all, 15.51 million people live in Gaul.

Iberia is primarily Castilian, with significant Andalusian populations along the southern and eastern coasts and inland. North along the Pyrenees many of the people have taken to Green customs. On the coast of Catalonia is another significant population of Aquitaine people, and in the northeast there are Basque people still holding to their ancient ways. The Iberian peninsula is considered two provinces: Catalonia and Spain. In all, 6.00 million people live in Iberia.

Almost all of the Italian peninsula adopted Greek long ago. But in the northern half there are significant populations of Italians, with some German communities as well. The Italian peninsula is considered to be three provinces: Italy, Naples, and Sicily. In all, 8.99 million people live on the Italian peninsula.

Raetia is a smallish province between Italy and Bavaria. As can be expected from a border province, it has significant populations of Germans, mostly in the east. Also in the east is a large community of Hungarians. In the west, it is primarily Greek. There are no major subdivisions of Raetia. In all, 1.66 million people live in Raetia.

The rest of the Empire to the Hellespont is almost entirely Greek, but for a Hungarian population in northern and western Pannonia. This vast region consists of five provinces: Dalmatia, Macedonia, Moesia, Pannonia, Thracia. In all, 10.81 million people live in this region.

East of the Hellespont is also almost entirely Greek, with Tartars and Russians north of the Caucasus Mountains on the border with Russia, and major Sephardi population in Judea. This also vast region consists of seven provinces: Asia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Judea, Syria, and Trans-Caucusia. In all, 4.98 million people live in this region.

The northern part of the continent of Africa is again mostly Greek, with scattered Berber populations, and a significant English population in the far west. This region consists of three provinces: Africa, Egypt, and Mauretania. In all, 4.43 million people live in this region.

Most of the rest of Africa does not have the bureaucracy in place to take a census. Except for the province of South Africa. In the west, South Africa is Somali, and in the east a Tartar population brackets an Oromo one. In all, 0.92 million people live in this province.

Across the Atlantic, Guyana is Greek, and the nearby islands are Caribeno and Afro-Caribeno. There are two provinces in this region: Guyana and the Caribbean Islands. In all 0.58 million people live in this region.

Oceania is a mish-mash of colonies and provinces, and did not get data back to Constantinople in time for this census. The map has been painted in the Greek colors for convenience.

If any Senators have recommendations for redrawing the provinces, or wish to govern a different province than they have been assigned, please let Us know.

((Very interesting, had a feeling there was a large Spanish population by the liberation movement.))

While the new devolved governance for regions is a large advancement, I continue to champion for the governors to be chosen from among the populace of those regions, at the very least in the regions where Greek is not the dominant culture. I have in mind in particular the Northern Italian regions and the north coast of Gaul.

Reactions:
While the new devolved governance for regions is a large advancement, I continue to champion for the governors to be chosen from among the populace of those regions, at the very least in the regions where Greek is not the dominant culture. I have in mind in particular the Northern Italian regions and the north coast of Gaul.

Seeing as I am governor of Italy (or Lombardia if you prefer that name) and was born and raised in Venice, I believe Northern Italy is well represented.

- Leonardo Favero

Reactions:
"That doesn't exactly suit his 'all wealth and power is centred in Hellas' motif, Leonardo," Ioannes says drily.

Reactions: