• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The loss of the Ukrainian borderlands is a devastation to both our overall political influence in Europe and to our control of trade in the Black Sea. As has been stated by other senators we should look to prop up another, more powerful nation as a new borderland. If we are to expect the Russians to perform further invasions soon, then an immediate resolution would be Poland. But if we're in for a long con, then I'd say we should prop up the Germans and aid them in any ways possible. Besides, we already have an alliance with them.

- Julian Leon

Reactions:
((I think your ruler address stuff is up the spout. Veronica is being addressed as King, despite not being male, a king or even using an Anglophone title.))

(( Ugh! I hadn't noticed that at all. I'll run a search on the localization files and hope that isn't too bad to fix. ))

Introducing Julian Leon. Born on the 5th of February, 1811, Julian firmly believes in the strength of the empire. but at the same time feels that the aristocracy has too much of a grip. Despite this, he is a loyal man who is willing to serve the empire no matter what. He was born in Barcelona to a Greek mother and a Castilian father and is a member of the Foiderátoi,

(( Welcome! ))

Introducing Potitus Caristanius Gallio, born on November 7th 1796 in Rome. His father was a wealthy Greek trader who made millions off of a multitude of trade posts in hubs across the Empire. He is a short man, never rising above 5'6 with brown hair and brown eyes. He is also not really a looker either with a face most accurately described as squished with his crooked smile being his most defining feature. What he lacked in looks he more than made up for in political prowess and quickly joined the Senate using his fathers money and his own rather Machiavellian ways. He arrived a boy in a mans game but soon found solace with a group of like minded men who called themselves the Patrikioi. While he recognized the Senate was powerless in many aspects, having the dubious distinction of being under an absolute monarchy; but he aimed to change that and strengthen the Senate. It was not however in line with the XKM factions Liberal attitudes but rather one some call outdated. He wanted a restoration of the Senate of the Republic, one that held the ultimate authority over what the Nation did and an abolishment of the so called Emperor's of Rome.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Introducing Damianos Septiadis, born on the 5th of July, 1810 in Dyrrhachion, at a young age, he received the chance to travel around the territories of Mainland Rome, meeting many non-Greeks aswell as Greeks who speak their own regional dialects. As such, he is more sympathetic to non-Greeks. He would spend the next 18 years of his life traveling and studying across the entire Empire. Eventually, he decides that the only way to properly serve the Empire is to go into politics, joining the Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱. He is also known to dabble in mapmaking.

Reactions:
Introducing Potitus Caristanius Gallio, born on November 7th 1796 in Rome. His father was a wealthy Greek trader who made millions off of a multitude of trade posts in hubs across the Empire. He is a short man, never rising above 5'6 with brown hair and brown eyes. He is also not really a looker either with a face most accurately described as squished with his crooked smile being his most defining feature. What he lacked in looks he more than made up for in political prowess and quickly joined the Senate using his fathers money and his own rather Machiavellian ways. He arrived a boy in a mans game but soon found solace with a group of like minded men who called themselves the Patrikioi. While he recognized the Senate was powerless in many aspects, having the dubious distinction of being under an absolute monarchy; but he aimed to change that and strengthen the Senate. It was not however in line with the XKM factions Liberal attitudes but rather one some call outdated. He wanted a restoration of the Senate of the Republic, one that held the ultimate authority over what the Nation did and an abolishment of the so called Emperor's of Rome...even if it meant revolution. ((can we do the whole revolution game in this or nah?))

(( Added! And Welcome! No revolutions, I'm keeping the interactivity pretty low. If in-game events give the Senate more power, I'll reconsider the structure of the AAR. ))

Introducing Damianos Septiadis, born on the 5th of July, 1810 in Dyrrhachion, at a young age, he received the chance to travel around the territories of Mainland Rome, meeting many non-Greeks aswell as Greeks who speak their own regional dialects. As such, he is more sympathetic to non-Greeks. He would spend the next 18 years of his life traveling and studying across the entire Empire. Eventually, he decides that the only way to properly serve the Empire is to go into politics, joining the Christianikoú Kómmatos Metarrýthmisi̱. He is also known to dabble in mapmaking.

(( Added! And Welcome! ))

Introducing Basileios Rellis, born on the 7th of November 1801 in Konstantinopolis. The heir of one of the oldest aristocratic families of the Empire, Basileios sees as his duty to serve in the Senate and advise the Emperor. Having never wandered much outside his great estate of Thrace and the parties organised by the best families of the Imperium he can't imagine another way of governing : the Emperor at the top, aristocrats beside him and the pleb far below. His recent lectures of Platon and Xenophon only confirmed himself in his belief of being a part of the "good". As such he decided to join the Patrikioi.

"Glorious Empress, our defeat against the Russian barbarians only came from our long years of waiting. Soon we will crush those who oppose us !
The best way to show this renewed state of affairs to the Barbarians is to seize all ports along the Pont-Euxin coast. Thus you would do more than the great emperors of old did ! The Mediterranean may have been a Roman lake but the Pont-Euxin was never fully pacified. You would protect your people and carve your name into history !
But we should contact other Barbarians to use them as a shield against the Asiatic legions. Surely one Roman life is worth a Polish legion ? "

Reactions:
Already the lenient ways of the Senate allow sedition and corruption to seep through our society.

Whilst the Emperor is busy appeasing the fat cat reactionaries of the Senate, we continue to waste the Legions in the wastelands of Russia. Meanwhile our true enemy in Scotland remains free and must be brought to heel.

Alliances with Germany and Poland will secure our Northen and Eastern borders, whilst we make the Scots bow.

- Στήβεν Γκρέυ

Reactions:
I disagree Στήβεν Γκρέυ. Those Slavic Barbarians have just seized an important buffer, a buffer we invested heavily in I might add. While the Scots are our traditional enemies these are not traditional times, we have a new enemy now in Russia. It is a monster the Emperor has birthed and we must put down! That is why I think we should instead turn our attention East and subjugate the Russian's however costly that might be. I also will take this time to promote an invasion of Germanium. While the First Empire was unable to tame the barbarians just across the Rhine I have a belief that we can, we have defeated them in the 15 years war, and the many wars before, so lets do it again. Restore Roman Rule to Germanium!

-Potitus Caristanius Gallio

Reactions:
"I also disagree, Senator Nkréy. The Sko̱tsézoi1 are of no threat to Mégas Ró̱mi2. Instead, I counsel that, with the loss of Ukraine to the people of Ro̱ssía3, the Basilissa's armies should move against the people of Oungaría4 and incorporate that state fully within our own borders, rather than perpetually outside."

~ Kyriakos Angelos

1: Scotsmen. 2: Great Rome. 3: Russia. 4: Hungary.

Reactions:
85. 1837 - Responses and replies
The outcome of the Russo-Ukraine War is most unfortunate. Not only have we lost an important buffer, but the Russians now have access to the Black Sea. We should take efforts to minimize further Russian expansion, perhaps by ensuring the survival of Poland or the Livonian Order. I am certain that under Your careful guidance, Empress, the Empire will be ready for any threat presented by Russia.

- Michelangelo Favero

We must find friendship with the Germans, Livonians and Polish -- it is the only way to stop the Russians!

- Konstantinos Galatías

Our loss of ukrainian buffer zone forces us to act immediately. I'm suggesting that we should start investing our resources to bring Poland in our Sphere of Influence, maybe even help them with expansion into Livonian Order, as they are already at war. I suggest abandoning Livonian Order as potential ally, as Poland and Livonian Order are hostile towards each other. Not mentioning that with Poland we can cover entire border between Europe and Russia, wchich we can't do with Livonian Order. Also, in possible future conflicts with Russia we should press our claims to govern all Black Sea ports directly, rather than forcing Russia to grant independence to Ukraine with all its ports.

- Alexios Damaskinos

The loss of the Ukrainian borderlands is a devastation to both our overall political influence in Europe and to our control of trade in the Black Sea. As has been stated by other senators we should look to prop up another, more powerful nation as a new borderland. If we are to expect the Russians to perform further invasions soon, then an immediate resolution would be Poland. But if we're in for a long con, then I'd say we should prop up the Germans and aid them in any ways possible. Besides, we already have an alliance with them.

- Julian Leon

Glorious Empress, our defeat against the Russian barbarians only came from our long years of waiting. Soon we will crush those who oppose us !
The best way to show this renewed state of affairs to the Barbarians is to seize all ports along the Pont-Euxin coast. Thus you would do more than the great emperors of old did ! The Mediterranean may have been a Roman lake but the Pont-Euxin was never fully pacified. You would protect your people and carve your name into history !
But we should contact other Barbarians to use them as a shield against the Asiatic legions. Surely one Roman life is worth a Polish legion ?

-Basileios Rellis

Already the lenient ways of the Senate allow sedition and corruption to seep through our society.

Whilst the Emperor is busy appeasing the fat cat reactionaries of the Senate, we continue to waste the Legions in the wastelands of Russia. Meanwhile our true enemy in Scotland remains free and must be brought to heel.

Alliances with Germany and Poland will secure our Northen and Eastern borders, whilst we make the Scots bow.

- Στήβεν Γκρέυ

I disagree Στήβεν Γκρέυ. Those Slavic Barbarians have just seized an important buffer, a buffer we invested heavily in I might add. While the Scots are our traditional enemies these are not traditional times, we have a new enemy now in Russia. It is a monster the Emperor has birthed and we must put down! That is why I think we should instead turn our attention East and subjugate the Russian's however costly that might be. I also will take this time to promote an invasion of Germanium. While the First Empire was unable to tame the barbarians just across the Rhine I have a belief that we can, we have defeated them in the 15 years war, and the many wars before, so lets do it again. Restore Roman Rule to Germanium!

-Potitus Caristanius Gallio

I also disagree, Senator Nkréy. The Sko_tsézoi1 are of no threat to Mégas Ró_mi2. Instead, I counsel that, with the loss of Ukraine to the people of Ro_ssía3, the Basilissa's armies should move against the people of Oungaría4 and incorporate that state fully within our own borders, rather than perpetually outside.

~ Kyriakos Angelos

1: Scotsmen. 2: Great Rome. 3: Russia. 4: Hungary.

Damian0358 said:
Senator Nkréy, you must agree that, compared to the Russians, the Gaels do not pose a threat. The Ukraine was a important buffer to the Empire and the Russians have to be stopped, though I hope we can settle this affair diplomatically.

Senator Gallio, I do not believe that the invasion of Germania would be beneficial. It is in my belief that we should attempt to assist the Germans in uniting Germania, as such, gaining an ally who could assist us if the Russians decide to invade. If possible, I could make a map displaying my ideas of what the borders of Europa should be.

~ Damianos Septiadis

The Crows said:
A united Germania would only endanger the Empire more than the Russians. Assuming we can unite them, and assuming they do not immediately implode, it has the potential to turn into another Russia. When the Germans do sour of us, as they will the damned barbarians, we will be fighting a behemoth that outmatches even us in both industry and military. So in conclusion while respect your views Septiadis, i feel they will do more harm than good.

- Potitus Caristanius Gallio

Attalus said:
Germans are a threat. No one should forget what happened centuries ago when they attacked the Western Empire and brought it to its end. Thus we can not risk Roman on the chance they might still ally us after we helped them. Continuous watching on the Rhine and Danube is the only way.
Polish on the other hand could be used well against the Russian Hordes.

- Basileios Rellis

Arakhor said:
They are all barbarians, senator, but perhaps the Nemitzoi are the most perfidious of all. How long has it been since their sham western empire collapsed once again? I am not sure which I would sooner wish upon my enemies - the Rus or the Nemitzoi. Each would be a most uncomfortable bedfellow.

~ Kyriakos Angelos

Nemitzoi: The Germans.

The Crows said:
I agree with Angelos if I am understanding right. I-I mean we must destroy the Germans and Rus before they do the same to us. Empress Veronica, establish Regula Romanus in Europa!

- Potitus Caristanius Gallio

Figus said:
Yes the Germans in the past were barbarians who greatly weakened the empire, but at the same time they provided much work as mercenaries, Foederati. And though there is a chance that the relationship can sour, but at the same time this would just be a mere case of history repeating itself, and in that case we know what to do. But I assure you all that not only are the Germans a civilized people, but also that they have been long civilized and even had an admiration for us shown with their pretender Holy Roman Empire. So it is an almost absolute fact that the Germans will be a staunch supporter of us.
- Julian Leon

BBBD316 said:
How does the Empire expect to dismantle the Russians and maintain the neutrality of the other nations that have thrown of the guiding hand of Mégas Ró_mi and those upstart colonies across the water with the infamy that we must accure to halt the Russian hordes? Even with the best efforts of our diplomats we will only be able to force them to release one or two potentially hostile nations, unless the Senate expects our Legions to fight the entire continent.

I in 2 quick ways we can deal blows to the heart of the Hun and the Gaels and force them to kneel before our might. However we must proceed with caution, let the Legions rest and recover theire strength and it is clear we need a more professional army to best our enemies and the Empire should put forward funds to research new ways of bringing this to our forces.

- Στήβεν Γκρέυ

Senators, it is clear there is much disagreement on how to proceed. Nevertheless, it will take time before the legions are ready for any kind of fighting, let alone fighting other Great Powers. I will report to you when matters have changed. Thank you for your advice.

As well, these are some newspapers that the archivists thought significant:

85-14.png
85-15.png
85-16.png
85-17.png
85-18.png

Last edited:
(( I played up to the next session of the Senate ages ago. Now I guess it's time to put the posts together. Also, to do some cleanup of the one above, but I wanted to get your replies (even the ones on the old forum) recorded. ))

((The new forum has certainly played havoc with the formatting of old posts, particularly mine!))

Reactions:
I introduce Ovulur Kishiev, a direct descendant to several famous Roman generals and born into a wealthy family in Cayenne in Roman Colombia, March 8 1798. Soon after he turned 17, he began to see the world around him for what it really was. He saw the lack of political freedoms and was frankly appalled by it. For 4 years he worked hard to try and bring justice through many means, but failed at each of them. Through his trials though, he had become a master politician and rose up the ranks on the political ladder. Now he resides with the rest of the Senate, supporting the Foiderátoi party, fully supporting the liberalization of Rome, yet also supporting the expansion of its power through military strength.

Reactions:
((The new forum has certainly played havoc with the formatting of old posts, particularly mine!))

(( If I figure out the correct tags, I'll let you know. Likewise, if you figure them out, let me know so I can fix the quoted forms. ))

I introduce Ovulur Kishiev, a direct descendant to several famous Roman generals and born into a wealthy family in Cayenne in Roman Colombia, March 8 1798. Soon after he turned 17, he began to see the world around him for what it really was. He saw the lack of political freedoms and was frankly appalled by it. For 4 years he worked hard to try and bring justice through many means, but failed at each of them. Through his trials though, he had become a master politician and rose up the ranks on the political ladder. Now he resides with the rest of the Senate, supporting the Foiderátoi party, fully supporting the liberalization of Rome, yet also supporting the expansion of its power through military strength.

(( Welcome! You've been added to the cast! ))

86. 1837-1839 - Summoning the Senate
All Senators,

Your presence is requested at a special session of the Senate on November 27, 1839, where Empress Veronica will address the Senate on the State of the Empire. As preparation for this session, the following newspapers have been deemed significant by the archivists:

86-1.png
86-2.png
86-3.png
86-4.png
86-5.png

Last edited:
((Question: how old is the Basilissa? I don't recall you ever telling us.))

Reactions:
((Two questions, what all do I need/ should do here? Also, do the double parentheses denote out of character speech?))

Reactions:
Greetings, your Highness.
Introducing Nikephoros Doukas, born sometime in the 1790s in Athens to a well-to-do middle-class family with ties to the legions (actual birthdate is unknown due to a fire which destroyed most family records). He is a self-made man and has joined the Foideratoi Party to speak on behalf of the common people. He advocates for social reforms to increase the well-being of the people and has ideas for overhauling the Empire's education system so that we can have the best and brightest men and women serving Your Highness. He is currently neutral on matters regarding the military but slightly learns toward pro-military. He believes that some of the future Great Powers of the world will be in the Far East, and as such the Empire ought to form strong bonds of friendship with nations in Asia. As to the nature of citizenship, he believes that all people living within the Empire can attain citizenship and keep their beliefs and practices, provided they acknowledge the Empress as their sovereign ruler and serve the Empire well.

Last edited:
Reactions: