• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(( Well, looks like there's some activity, so I'll wait to do the next part of the update. :) ))

(( okay, this has gotten out of control. I'm going to need you all to stop, and then I'll need to edit this into something coherent before my update (which may be a few more days off, thanks to my car breaking down again). ))
{{What happened between these two quotes?}}

Reactions:
{{What happened between these two quotes?}}
((Someone started talking about votes and partitions for a motion they wanted, then someone else pointed out that Rome is an absolute monarchy and that those things don't exist, then the first guy talked about how that's a stupid system of government that needs changing, the second guy declared that the first was a traitor, then there was some back and forth about arrests and escapes and revolution... I think someone posted the Benny Hill Theme at some point... yeah... that's what happens when you say out of character things without using the double parentheses))

Reactions:
91. 1854-1860 - Before the Address
Michelangelo Favero happily hums a tune played by Piano Cat during his concert in Constantinople.

He reads about a "shadowy cabal of a Prussian, Pole, and Irish-man" sabotaging the news.

It has to be the Cult, infiltrating our news agencies! Nobody would describe any other group as a "shadowy cabal." It would have hurt the Empires reputation if they succeeded.

He looks over his shoulder, a bit paranoid after the rebellion in Athens six years ago. He is surrounded by at least three bodyguards, but he is still worried.

He returns to reading his book on Ancient Ruthenian pagan mythology, hoping to find anything that could help him find the Cult.

Perhaps the Gujarati ambassador's death may not be due to a simple robbery...
The expansion of the Ruthenians in the Far East is quite unsettling. Perhaps we should do something about it...

I would like to see this "Piano Cat" at court.

We should also take measures to prevent another fire from breaking out in the capital.

-Senator Moustakas

The growing importance of Deccan and possibility of creating united Indian country worries me, can we get an update on how much Deccan developed is and do we consider it civilized?

UTA continues to grow and I'm still insisting on our withdrawal from Americas.

I didn't know that Livonia and Poland were so close. It's good to see that disputed lands (Lithuania in that case) not always cause conflicts but they're also uniting nations. As long as they are loyal to us it's good news. Do we have any information on tensions between Poland-Lithuania and Ukraine?

Next wars between Germany, Bavaria and Hungary shouldn't bother us. I don't consider any of them as reliable ally or countries that have common interests with us. Let them bleed in their pity struggles.

- Senator Alexios Damaskinos

you should concentrate on conquering more of Arabia otherwise you might get cut off from your African provinces since you only control a narrow strip of land in the Levant.how exactly did Mexico end up with provinces surrounded by USA?

- An unknown voice

who agrees that conquering more of Arabia its a wise choice because otherwise you might get cut off from your African provinces since you only control a narrow strip of land in the Levant

- Senator Smithereens

Who let this man into the senate building? And who gave him reports that are assigned for senators? Guards! Show this man where are the exit doors!

I say we take Arabia for the Empire. The land is ripe with possibilities, and the black sludge found there is flammable, and may be of use in weaponry.

-Senator Ovulur Kishiev

Good to see new face around here. But I think I did not catch what party are you representing, Senator Alexander Smithereens?

I haven't heard from you Senator Ovulur Kishiev for a long time. It's good to see you are active in Empire's matters again.

I think Senators that expansion in Arabia is worth considering, but are we sure we would be able to control those Islamic heathens? Besides, I'm not sure, but don't we have a truce with Arabic nations due to our latest conquests in Asia? I'm sure that Empress Victoria would be able to confirm it or deny it.

I say there is no need to conquer the savage deserts of Arabia

We must act expand our lands to secure these resources before the Arabs use it against us! I see much potential in the future from this, but only if we act now.

-Senator Ovulur Kishiev

I Alexander smithereens represent the Foiderátoi party who wishes to expand our empire by seizing Arabia or perhaps seizing some land in the new world but we must expand

Senator Alexander Smithereens

Well I do not.

-Senator Moustakas

Greetings, Senator Smithereens (weird name you got there, is it a Levantine name or something?). Glad to see the Foederatoi's recruitment campaigns are paying off. Also, you are a senator of the Empire now, so please speak like we do or we may not be able to take you seriously.
Senators, I do not believe a major expedition into Arabia would be necessary. Taking the holy sites of Mecca and Medina would severely damage our relations with the Muslim world and possibly with Muslims living within the Empire. We could send a few expeditions there to check out the surroundings and possibly seize Syria and the territories near the Mediterranean, but I will not support any far-fetched excursion into a hostile desert. There's a reason they call it the Rub al-Khali--the Empty Quarter. Maybe establish a few outposts to secure control over this "black sludge" you speak of before the Arabs can...

~Doukas

I hope you do not say that I am an intruder. I am the distinguished Ovulur Kishiev, mind you.
If not now, then at some point we must seriously consider this though. Even if it means integrating the region peacefully into the Empire, we must do something before another nations acts.

-Senator Kishiev

My apologies, I was not referring to you as the intruder, Senator Kishiev. Surely you witnessed the man who burst into the Senate room and clamored for an invasion of Arabia shortly before the arrival of Senator Smithereens?
Yes, Arabia is a strategically important location. However, rushing headlong into the desert right now, what with a Cult of pagans out to kill us all, would not be the best idea. I am advocating for a gradual settlement of the region, setting up outposts and protectorates in the area before setting up a full administration.

~Doukas

I see, well let's hope we can take advantage of it once we have the ability to.

-Senator Kishiev

-------------------------

(( note that not all quotes have been picked up, and some maybe been lightly edited (mostly to add everyone's names). So the 'official history' is slightly different than what you all originally posted. Please let me know if I botched this. My post coming soon. ))

Last edited:
91. 1854-1860 - The Address
Senators,

It seems that despite Our publishing of the facts of the day, much of the public has chosen to believe rumors about the attack on the Senate last session.
91-19.png

We decided that it were best to develop regulations to create banks focused on lending to businesses, as well as create a few initial state-owned business banks.
91-20.png

And the legions had already been recovering from the wars of the past few years. They continued to replenish. We also had the Scholai Palatinae expand to include a guard cohort.
91-21.png

At the same time, We began sending diplomatic envoys to the Ming. And soon thereafter, reactionaries actually rose in revolt in Varna, Athens, and La Rochelle. They were swiftly put down by the legions.

The wars and the rebellion had distracted us, and Poland was able to wrest Livonia from the Empire's influence. They were able to convince them to join in union, forming the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. We are not certain why they decided to not included references to the Livonian Order's part in the history in their name and instead chose to focus on culture for the name.
91-23.png

The whole year, We assessed the employment of Our citizens, and began creation of several new factories throughout the Empire. By October, they were ready, the legions had been expanded, and all was at rest. So, though we were still at war with Mexico, We reduced funding to the army and navy and lowered taxes.
91-24.png

In early 1855, Mexico tried to claim bankruptcy. But We could not stand for this, and so added the repayment of debts to Our list of demands for peace. By February, they sent an emissary agreeing to this demand, as well as all of the UTA's demands for land, and so We agreed to this peace. As for the reasoning behind the UTA's particular demands, we have no idea what they were thinking. Perhaps they intended to isolate Mexihcan lands? Perhaps they anticipated returning to war soon and seized the richest of the lands they ultimately intended to take?
91-25.png

In addition to the UTA's expansion, England had expanded their influence into the Amazon.
91-26.png

And Hungary had expanded at Germany's expense.
91-27.png

In more peaceful uses of diplomacy, We made moves to solve our constant dye supply problems by courting Ceylon, and in 1855 We were able to add them to Our sphere of influence.

And Our banking regulations were completed. We followed these up be asking Our best writers how to inspire both nationalism and imperialism in Our citizens, as needed.

When we sought to continue expanding the Empire's influence in the eastern islands, well, Senator Favero, would you share your report?

Senator Michelangelo "the Artist" Favero, Duke and Governor of Italy:

I am certain that many of you remember back to that fatal day that Constantinople was attacked? The group responsible, the so-called Cult of Chernobog or whatever they may call themselves, has been causing mayhem across the Empire ever since their first attack. We do not know why they do this other than that they wish to cause war, violence, and chaos throughout the Empire and the world. These pagans are clearly mad, but that does not mean they are not clever.

Recently, at the behest of the Empress, a group of diplomatic advisors and generals met to draft up plans for a potential war with Hedjaz over the northern Philippines. We had verified information that the Cult of Chernobog had set up a large base within Hedjaz’s land there to use to harass the Empire with impunity. This meeting was of the utmost secrecy, yet within a week of convening, the plans drafted at that meeting were leaked to the Hedjazi authorities in the Philippines. This is an embarrassment to the Empire. Even our best diplomats had not been briefed on these plans yet and were thus unable to stem the backlash we faced from this debacle. Our reputation has been tarnished because of this incident, yet the circumstances surrounding it are much more sinister.

The Empress requested that I look into the incident, since it was suspected that cultist activity was involved. I had my best men investigate any leads, and after much searching were able to root out a lair of this Cult of Chernobog in one of our holdings in Southeast Asia. It had long since been abandoned, most likely because they knew we were coming beforehand, but they left behind a couple documents linked to the original plans for the war with Hedjaz. It is clear that these pagans are still within our ranks, stealing our best kept secrets and ready to use them against us. Who knows when they’ll strike again?

It is unfortunate that the cultists were not caught red-handed, for it made the eventual declaration of war more damning. Hedjaz knew we were coming and any explanation we gave for war only sounded faulty to the world. The Cult of Chernobog has made us look like war-hungry fools, even as we move to destroy them. I can only hope that one day we root out this foul pagan group once and for all so that the Empire can continue on in peace.

91-28.png

While this was happening, the Empire of Mexico experienced a revolution, thrusting a liberal party into power. The UTA took advantage of this to declare a war for Arizona. They asked us to join, and We agreed. However, as Mexico still had no army, We sent no legions.

By late December of 1856, the Empire was prepared again for war with Hedjaz. XI. Legio began the usual sea circuit, defeating an army in Tacloban.
91-29.png

Meanwhile, I. Legio and XIX. Legio made the usual invasion of Hedjaz proper, with XIX. Legio diverting to defeat an army attacking Beersheba. Enthusiasm for war was high, with the state newspaper attempting different techniques of instilling the sentiments We desired. But this was a short war, with Hedjaz agreeing to peace in March of 1857.
91-30.png

By the end of this war, We had learned better how to manipulate both Nationalist and Imperialist notions to demonstrate the superiority of the Empire and of its citizens.
91-31.png

We further sought to better understand the past glory of the Empire by sending archaeological expeditions to Egypt.
91-33.png

The philosophers of the University of Constantinople claimed that society had discoverable laws as in natural philosophy, so We funded created chairs for several new philosophers to seek these laws.
91-32.png

Late in the year, we added Bastar to Our sphere of influence, securing even more dye for our factories.

The philosophers had not been able to find simple laws governing the way society operated.
91-34.png

However, other philosophers proposed that society could be described as a series of overlapping functions. So chairs were funded for them.
91-35.png

In the beginning of 1858, Russia declared war on Iraq, claiming more eastern Siberian land as theirs. They eventually won the war, also giving Persia some of Iraq's land as prize for assistance in that theater.

And we faced another rebellion. This time Jacobins, who rose in Aurillac. We raised funding to the legions so they would be put down with minimal harm. This increased funding to the army proved well when Bavaria insulted one of Our ambassadors.
91-36.png

Bavaria had recently won wars against Germany and Hungary and had expanded at their expense. We decided it was well to put them in their place and declared war. Bavaria's armies flooded across the Alps, and XXVII. Legio sought to stem the tide. Meanwhile, XXIII. Legio swept in from the east, chasing a Bavarian army before finally confronting and completely defeating them in the province XXIII. Legio had first been occupying. And X. Legio stuck against Bavaria's allies in Thuringia in the west. The fierceness of the Imperial attack stunned Bavaria, and they soon surrendered.
91-37.png

When corruption in the state industrial departments was shown, We began investigating, eventually ending subsidies to the worst factories. As expected, other factories were able to provide jobs to the displaced workers.
91-38.png

The philosophic investigations into the functions comprising society were completed, and while useful still did not provide a complete picture of society.
91-39.png

However, the recent wars had hurt the Legions. Not from the fighting, but again from disease, harsh weather, and the like. So We again sought for natural philosophers to seek solutions to these problems by finding better materials for uniforms, gunpowders, and other supplies.
91-40.png

As they did so, We continued slowly closing clipper factories, always ensuring that the displaced workers had new jobs, even encouraging new industries better fitted for their regions.
91-41.png

With the closing of many clipper factories, We thought it prudent to have the navy develop designs for steamers to replace the Empire's old Man-'O-War ships.
91-42.png

Finally, there seems to be sufficient support to make political reforms in the Empire. Though We are firmly of the opinion that elections are not needed. We are able to correctly select the best Senators to advise Us.
91-43.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
introducing Alexander smithereens born 1851 to a middle class family in the Levant its a member of the moralist and is an imperialist who wants the empire to have colonies in Asia .Alexander fears for his homeland due to being close to foreign borders he wishes for the empire to expand its hold in the Levant.

(( You've been added to the character list. Thanks for joining! ))

(( Feel free to ask about other societal developments, the effects of all that research, map details of different regions, and the dance of Great Powers. Because I totally have screenshots for all those, but the update just now used more than enough pics as it was.

Also, on quick review, someone ask for me to research Empiricism before the steamers, too! ))

((Nice touch with the terrorist event. I feel so special. :D))

Is there ever a time that the UTA is not at war with the Mexicans over this land or that land? It is frankly exhausting hearing about them and their repetitious efforts to conquer the continent.

I trust your judgment implicitly, Your Majesty. There is no need to consult the people when you always have their best interests at heart. It would only limit your ability to perform your duties.

- Senator Michelangelo "the Artist" Favero

Reactions:
It's good to hear that Your Majesty considered our suggestion of not involving Legions in UTA's wars, but I'm afraid that our reaction was to slow, as we can see, with Mexico having no armies, UTA is now capable of expanding into the rest of continent without our help. Let's just hope that they won't turn against us in the future.

Also, after recent events of terrorist attacks our citizens seem to want political reform, especially Free press, that would, in their opinion, ensure them thruthful informations about the state of Empire and the World. I suggest creating some sort of illusion, let non-state press function, but only after our approval, thus making sure that our citizens will be free from dangerous and radical ideologies. That should also satisfy their need of political reform, thus avoiding radical changes like elections.

Reactions:
Reactions:
I see no harm in letting the people have greater control over the press, if we censor anything that could harm the Empire. It is surely better than the nonsense that is elections. We haven't needed them for centuries, so why start now?

- Senator Michelangelo "the Artist" Favero

Reactions:
Another glorious victory for the Imperium!

I believe we should consider terminating the alliance with the Tribes so we do not keep getting dragged into their endless wars.

Furthermore, I propose that we create a commission that would study the effects and viability of a press run by the populace. It may reduce discontentment from non-Greek peoples if they are allowed to express their grievances in print. However, the press should be carefully monitored, of course.

I would be curious to see how our statisticians in the Diplomatic Corps rank the Great Powers of the world.

((Can you give a GP screenshot?))

Reactions:
Nikephoros motions to a servant, who hands him a thick file with the double-headed eagle seal of the Imperial House Doukas and the letter “X” stamped on it.

I almost forgot, Her Imperial Highness has directed me to give a report regarding the details of major rebel activities since 1854, which have been gathered into this file. I shall refer to this file and all subsequent files as the “Chi Files.”

Servants hand out copies to the other senators.

You may be wondering…why am I tasked with documenting small and isolated rebellions? Well, the answer is that they’re not so isolated after all, as I found out personally.

When the first rebellion broke out in Athens, my house was burned down, with my wife and servants all brutally murdered and dismembered; the local tagmata managed to help me escape but could not return in time to save my wife or servants. Leading the mob of so-called reactionaries was a Slavic-looking man with an eye-patch, promising to bring down the Empress for her crimes against tradition. When I found my wife’s body, a sign was nailed into her head, with the following written in blood: “The Cult Remembers.

Yes – the Cult, the same one that almost killed the Empress, is behind this.

In the next few years, as rebellions broke out in France, Varna (nearly killing my son), Egypt, and Southern Hispania, with their ideologies ranging from Jacobin to reactionary, all of them shared a defining characteristic: a Slavic-looking man with an eye-patch led them and managed to escape the tagmatas sent to crush the rebellions every single time. We know this man as Iosef Ignatieff, the leader of a savage pagan cult practicing abominable human sacrifice to their Dark Gods and bent on the destruction of the Empire. He came very close to doing that in 1854.

A couple days ago, I found this letter in the mail. Let me close by reading it out to you:

To the Duke who is now a duke and the Doukas who is not emperor:

Your Empire’s efforts at crushing rebels are in vain. The Cult is many-headed. Sever one head, and two more shall take its place. Soon we shall succeed – the Empire shall fall, and Chernobog shall feast on humanity. It is even better if you die; my seers tell me that the death of the Duke and the Artist shall being about the death of the Empress and the House of Doukas, and they are never wrong. We’ve sent men to Venice to handle the Artist already.

As for you in your city of Constantinople? We don’t need to send anybody. We have men there right now, in the Senate itself. I can tell you, there are twelve worshippers of Chernobog among the ranks of your “loyal senators” as you read this.

Have fun.

Iosef Ignatieff

That’s all I have. Any questions?

~Senator Doukas

Reactions:
You are wrong senator Damaskinos. Give them an once of liberty and then they will ask for more. Let the reforms come when the Empire is ready. No need to listen to the demands of the rabble!

I wonder if this Polish-Lithuanian "union" will last. Often dual-sytems end up dismantled because there can be only one ruler in an ideal state. Do they claim Imperial or Ukrainian territory ?

Also I hope we'll get to know more about the wonders of Egypt. Such civilization needs to be understood better!

-Basileios Rellis

Reactions:
You are wrong senator Damaskinos. Give them an once of liberty and then they will ask for more. Let the reforms come when the Empire is ready. No need to listen to the demands of the rabble!

With no action, the people will grow restless. It is wrong to assume the people do not already want some form of change. There was a popular saying where I come from. "Sometimes, the hardest time to notice something is when it's most obvious". We can keep putting off change, and we can keep ignoring the populace. For how long though? A year? A decade? A century? Eventually the people will grow restless with no change. I am not in support of a rebellion or immediate change, but I do want these words to be heeded.

-Senator Kishiev

Reactions:
((What does trade and production/resources look like within the empire and the other nations of interest? I would also like a look at the culture map around the Mediterranean so I can think about the background for the senitor I'm thinking of writing up))

Reactions:
((

Most of the Empire is Greek. There's some Hungarian near the Danube and South German in the Alps, North Italian in Piemont and Savoie, Aquitaine in Southern France and Catalonia. Iberia is a mix of Andalusian and Castillian, with some Basque remaining. Northern France has, from west to east, Breton, Cosmopolitaine, Walloonian, and Flemish. Along the border with Germany is a large Burgundian population (in the German cultural group). There's some Welsh in Wales, a remnant population of English is London and Canterbury, and a bit of Scottish in Newcastle. There's a slight Jewish majority in Israel/Palestine, some Berbers along North Africa here and there, and a small Azerbaijani remnant in Azerbaijan. Most of those cultures have cores for possible nationalist movements.

As for production and trade, well trade's not really modeled, sadly. But there are factories in every state (except colonies), and the economy is just plain booming.))

Has anybody bothered to read the files I passed it just now? May I remind you that there are twelve traitors within our ranks as we speak?

~Doukas

Reactions:
((Read above.))