• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((We don't but that would be cool, the United Kingdom of London. Would certainly cause a lot of angst in the provincial areas.))

Reactions:
((Where did you get this idea from?))

Reactions:
(( For the sake of indexing and the like once I have an update ready ))

I don't particularly like the idea of Germany being on good terms with Russia. At least Poland has expanded at their expense.

The papers are overflowing with news of Imperial expansion. Truly these are the golden days of the Empire!

- Michelangelo Favero

We shouldn't bother with German-Hungarian war, as, in my opinion, it was inspired by opressed majority of German people in Austria, and not any kind of imperialism. I insist again on claiming Taiwan, as it may help us in future interventions considering last expansion of Ming dynasty. I suggest to consider invasion of Ceylon to support future interventions in India. We should also look closer to growing importance of Deccan in that region. Also, I again insist on breaking any relations with Poland, as this might lead us to war within our Sphere, and I must say that in my opinion, in case of Livonia-Poland war, we should give what we can to support Livonia, armies or subsidies (if we will be in another war at the same time).

- Alexios Damaskinos

Germany's relations with Russia are unsettling. We should be careful in dealing with them. Remember, the First Empire was destroyed by the Germans when they were uncivilized brutes-Alemanii, they called themselves at the time. They can do it again. Perhaps we can enlist the help of the Poles? If they were willing to fight Russia over Lithuanian territory, they can surely help us against any German treachery.
I fully agree with an invasion of Taiwan. We must deprive Russia of any colonies and truly take our place in the sun! Ming is growing quite strong, and is on good terms with the Koreans. They could be a useful ally against Russia in a future war.
I do not recommend an invasion of India. There are so many people there, and their cultures and traditions are so foreign from our own that integrating them into Roman society would have more costs than benefits. We should instead increase our sphere of influence in the region and build up friendly relations and trade agreements with native rulers, especially the Deccans. We can have the benefits of trade goods from India and an ally in the region, as well as an effective foothold in the subcontinent without the costs of maintenance and providing for millions of new Imperial subjects.

Also, with all due respect, if Your Highness would consider a diplomatic mission to China itself, I recommend myself as ambassador. I am close friends with the Celestial Empire's foreign minister, Lin Zexu, and am fluent in the local languages and traditions.

~Doukas

Whilst I agree with my fellow senators with the Germany and Hungarian war, I am concerned with the Polish invasion of Russia. What is the likelihood of Poland managing to at least white peace with the Bear?

With the Indians perhaps they would better serve us as loyal puppets than us taking their land directly, at least this way we control their destiny.

- Senator Γκρέυ

Last edited:
((congrats on the nupitals, hope you are going somewhere nice))

(( Thanks! We went to Oregon. Not a typical destination, but it was relaxing. ))

((Because the original name of Constantinople was Nova Roma thus the Empire is still in Rome.))

((No because the name isn't taken from the capital. The unique Roman culture that has evolved over centuries was named after the city. You don't call Germany the Republic of Berlin or France the Republic of Paris do you?))

((I understand now. Thanks for clarifying!))

((We don't but that would be cool, the United Kingdom of London. Would certainly cause a lot of angst in the provincial areas.))

((Where did you get this idea from?))

(( I left the explicitly out-of-character posts here while removing the others, but may edit for clarity later.

The 'Third Rome' becomes more interesting as a suddenly-in-character discussion. I'll leave it to the Senate to properly name the 'Third Rome', or just let it be. The Empress was not present, so she will only be aware if you inform her. :D

As for the name of the Empire itself, I've done my best to simply call it 'The Empire', from the very first post. Of course, the ERE considered themselves the Roman Empire and called themselves such, while others referred to them as the Empire of the Greeks, and Gibbon—were he to exist in this timeline—would have called them the Byzantine Empire. The restoration of the Roman Empire was to my mind more about the rest of the world again perceiving The Empire as the continuation of the Roman Empire, but my writing may not have made that clear. In addition to the in-character stuff, the games have displayed a whole lot of different things (the current Vic2 displays of 'Roman Empire' are due entirely to technical reasons, it wouldn't display right if I localized RME to 'The Empire'). And jumping back to the name 'The Empire', recall that the justification for taking out the Golden Horde was all about them also considering themselves an Empire (their governmental form), though that kind of thing seems to have calmed down, with Mexihco changing their name to the 'Empire of Mexico' with the Empress making no comment. All that to say, the name is complex, but I prefer simply 'The Empire'.

Finally, the update will be a little while yet, but I have a concern. Normally by updates are 1.5-2 pages in word before I add pictures and put everything on the forum or my blog. But this time I'm already up into my third page while still needing to write up something about the internal affairs of the Empire. I'm thinking I'll break into multiple posts (intermissions during the State of the Empire Address), but I was curious if anyone has a preference as to the order of things? A military update followed by an internal affairs update? An internal affairs update followed by a military update? Or try to make a chronological account and split it at some point? ))

((I imagine it'll be easier for you to separate them between military and internal, since you've already written the military part. I'd personally prefer the military stuff first, since that interests me more, but it'd make more sense for senators to know what was going on inside the Empire than outside first. Either way is fine.

I don't know if I said it already, but congratulations on the wedding/honeymoon! :)))

Reactions:
((I'll be fine with any format. Perhaps we could also make the senate sessions a little bit more interesting a la Czoklet's This is Madness Byzantine AAR? Slightly more interaction would be better appealing. Also, it would be nice if we got more in-game screenshots like Great Powers, spheres, borders, etc.))

But fellow senators, as we wait for Her Imperial Highness to give her address, what should we do about the trespassers who somehow manage to get into the Palace and speak vile heresies?

~Doukas

Reactions:
Surely they should be detained and interrogated. They could be spies for Russia. The audacity of them to claim Russia to be some third Rome. There is only the Empire and no others.

- Michelangelo Favero

Reactions:
Yes, there can only be one Empire, but what Ruthenian spy would be idiotic to the point that he walks into the Senate, of all places, and foolishly proclaim that Ruthenia is the Third Rome, knowing that he would be immediately arrested? There must be something going on here, or the Ruthenians are just playing us. It could be a trap, and they distracted our attention while...(looks outside)...oh.

(explosion wipes out part of the Senate room)

Reactions:
Michelangelo is blown clear across the room and slams against the wall. He tries to rise to his feet, but loses his balance. Blood slowly oozes from a gash on his head. Managing only to get to his knees, Michelangelo spits out some blood between his teeth. He wipes his face with his senator's robe as he regains his senses.

What in the name of the Empress was that? Do the Russians have artillery outside Constantinople?

- Michelangelo Favero

((Are we having a terrorist attack on the Senate now? How exciting. :D))

Reactions:
Doukas is sprawled on the floor. He is lying in a pool of blood from the senator next to him but is himself largely unharmed.

Seems to have been a bomb; the Ruthenians can't possibly have gotten artillery this close to Constantinople.

He looks over and sees that the Varangians assigned to guard the Senators are either dead or unconscious. The front door is blasted open, and the windows are broken. Doukas realizes that the Empress is in grave danger.

The Empress is under attack! Save her!

He grabs a sword from a dead Varangian just as a man in Ruthenian clothing appears in the doorway, pistol raised to fire at anyone.

You all get the Empress out of here! I'll take care of the attackers!

Doukas charges at the Ruthenian, who calmly fires three times.

Ruthenian terrorist:
For Mother Russia!

((The idea for this came up during the "Third Rome" discussion.))

Reactions:
Michelangelo cowers behind a tipped-over bench as shots fire through the room. Knowing that not only his life but the Empress' as well is at stake spirs him into action. Crawling quickly on his hands and knees, he sneaks out a side door while the terrorist is distracted. He rises slowly to his feet once outside the room and nearly topples over from dizziness. He places a hand against the wall to maintain his balance and starts working his way through the palace.

The Empress... must find the Empress....

((I have no idea where the Empress actually resides when not attending the Senate and obviously I cannot dicate her actions. I assume we just let Idhrendur intervene if things get out of hand.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
(( This is rather entertaining! For the record, the Empress resides in Blachernae, while the Senate meets in the Great Palace complex, which they have refurbished to their own ends. But as the address was meant to start soon, the Empress could be anywhere in the city. If that's a detail that needs to matter, I'll make a decision. ))

Doukas runs the terrorist through with his sword as he feels three bullets strike him in the chest and left arm. The pain is unbearable, but he knows he must do his duty for the people and Senate of Rome.

Ruthenian (spits blood in Doukas's face):
It is too late, Greek scum! Soon Mother Russia will be the mother of all.

Doukas: Who sent you?! What are your orders? Are there others?

The Ruthenian laughs evilly: Soon the Germanic barbarians will sack Rome again.

The terrorist dies.
The pain overwhelms Doukas, and he collapses to the floor. Before he looses consciousness, he hears more explosions--this time from the direction of downtown. Blachernae may have been among the targets, but he didn't know.

God have mercy on our souls!

Reactions:
Michelangelo keeps wandering through the palace, looking for anyone at all who could warn the Empress. He's in no condition to make the trip to Blachernae, but someone has to. All the hallways look the same. In fact, maybe he's already been down this one judging by the blood drops on the floor. Has he gotten turned around? Michelangelo tries to clear his head, but a dizzy spell overcomes him. He's losing too much blood.

Explosions sounds off in the distance. Is Constantinople under attack? Michelangelo has no idea. He just wants to get out of here and get the Empress to safety. Maybe she's already safe and he's wasting his time. Regardless, he has a duty to perform, or at least the duty to get some beneath his station to fulfill the role while he tries not to succumb to his wounds.

The sound of heavy footsteps draws Michelangelo's attention, so he rounds a corner and pushes himself up against the wall to hide. Two burly men speaking in Russian run down the other hallway. Michelangelo remains silent as they leave, but then the footsteps stop and start drawing closer. That's when he notices the blood drops all over the floor.
They know he's here.

Michelangelo scurries down the empty hallway, only to run into a dead end as he rounds the corner. There are two ceremonial poleaxes mounted on the wall, so he lifts one from its bracings and steadies himself. He only has one shot at this. As the Russians round the corner, Michelangelo lets out an angry yell and charges them. Before they can react, he impales the first one on the end of his poleaxe, piercing him right through the gut. The dying man spews out blood from his mouth and pushes himself off the weapon, only for more blood to pour from his wound. He slips to the floor as life escapes him. The second man draws a pistol and Michelangelo dives to the floor. The bullet shatters a nearby window, which is much better than shattering Michelangelo's head. Before the man can fire another shot, Michelangelo picks the poleaxe back up and swings it at his assailant. The blade slices through the man's forearm, forcing him to drop the gun. Before the Russian can draw his own blade, Michelangelo stabs the poleaxe's end into his neck. Blood sprays everywhere as the man slumps to the floor. The two Russians are dead.

Michelangelo drops the poleaxe in horror and vomits all over the palace floor. He has never killed a man before in his life. He suddenly has a much deeper appreciation for the soldiers in the Imperial Army. When was this horrid event going to end? Looking out the broken window and seeing smoke spiralling into the air didn't give him the answer he wanted. Slumping to the floor, he takes in several deep breaths. The Empress would have to wait, at least until he didn't feel like he was dying inside. Surely even the Empress would grant him that reprieve.

Reactions:
Doukas saw images flashing by his eyes. He saw his childhood in Athens, his time at the Imperial University, his wedding, his son before heading off to war in the Holy Land...
(thinking to himself):
Seriously? A flashback of my life at this time? I don't need to see this again, I already know this.

His perspective changes, and now he is looking down on all of Eurasia. The Empire in all of its majesty stretches from the Atlantic to the Black Sea, but to the north lie Germania and Ruthenia, the patchwork of barbarians which brought down the First Empire. Even now, centuries after the deposition of the last ruler of the First Empire, Rome was still threatened. The Germans had done what Rome couldn't and united into one main polity. They were on friendly terms with the Empire now, but Doukas remembered what the Ruthenian had told him.
To the east lay the once-mighty and isolationist Celestial Empire, or Serica as some called it. If an alliance could be secured, the Ruthenians could face a two-front war should conflict break out. Their almost unlimited manpower could mean the difference between victory and defeat.
There was the sound of disparate voices behind him, but he couldn't turn around. Then he realized the voices were in German and Ruthenian.
He opened his eyes. There were three foreign men standing in the middle of the Senate room. One of them spoke German, which Doukas was competent at.

German:
Too bad they're all dead or unconscious, I would have loved to hear them scream.
Ruthenian 1: Why don't you kill them now?
German: It's not fun.
Ruthenian 2: Guys, focus. Our forces have incapacitated the government of the Roman scum--
Ruthenian 1: Hate to remind you, but the Empress holds all of the power.
Ruthenian 2: Shut up! As we speak, a small force of Germans is advancing into Blachernae, and another force of Russians has seized Hagia Sofia. Soon Rome will be brought to its knees.
German: And then they'll blame the Tsar and the Kaiser instead of us! It's perfect.
Ruthenian 1: Exactly.

Doukas couldn't believe what he was hearing. A secret conspiracy to drag the Empire to war with the Germans and Ruthenians? He silently reached over to the body of the man he stabbed earlier and took the still-loaded gun.

Ruthenian 2:
Is everybody accounted for?
German: We're missing one of the senators, an Italian. I heard something in the corridors, and two of our men are missing.
Ruthenian 1: It must be the Artist. If he gets out of the building our plan will be foiled. Go get him!
The German and the second Ruthenian left the room. Doukas inferred that the "Artist" was Senator Favero, apparently the only other senator to maintain consciousness. Perhaps they could still save the Empress...
He accidentally knocked over some rubble.
Ruthenian 1:
Who was that?
With quick thinking, Doukas brought up the gun, wrapped it in his toga, and fired at the enemy. The shot was muffled, so the others couldn't possibly have heard it. The Ruthenian keeled over dead before he could shout.
Doukas got to his feet painfully. He had to get out of here and reach Blachernae. So he limped out through the giant hole in the wall of the room.

Reactions:
The sound of another explosion made Michelangelo snap his head up. He was lying down on the floor, although he didn't remember lying down. Hadn't he just been sitting down to catch his breath? How much time had passed. He glanced out the window, trying to judge the time by where the sun was. He couldn't figure out how much time had passed since he didn't remember when the attack had begun in the first place. Damn his aging mind! Maybe he would retire after this incident and take up painting. That sounded a lot less stressful.

Michelangelo tried to get up, but slipped in a puddle of blood from the two corpses lying nearby. He nearly threw up again at the sight of them, their cold lifeless eyes staring up at the ceiling. He needed to get away from here before someone came to investigate. He went to round the corner when he heard voices arguing. They were drawing nearer, too close for him to escape the dead end in time. He went to pick up the pole-axe again, but slipped on the blood again. He got back up to his feet, only for someone to shout at him in German behind him. Why was there a German in the palace?

German: Turn around slowly, you filthy Italian, and show me your hands.

Michelangelo slowly obeyed the orders and faced the German. He had another man with him. Both were armed, their pistols aimed at him. He warily took a step back, brushing up against the window sill of the broken window.

What do you want with me? You won't get away with this attack. The Empress will have your eyes and tongues cut out for this.

German: She'll be dealt with soon enough. Now follow me.

Michelangelo went to follow, only to slip in the blood for a third time and fall backward. He put his hands behind him and stopped his fall by grabbing the window sill. He winced as one finger grasped some broken glass from the window.

German: Watch your step, old man. Make too many sudden movements and you might not make it back to the Senate alive.

The two men laughed together. Michelangelo had a feeling he might not make it back to the Senate even if he obeyed. He needed to escape these thugs. Before he could consider the consequences of his actions, he pushed off the window sill with his hands and rolled backwards out the window. The German shot at him with his pistol, but the shot missed his head by a few inches. The next thing he knew, Michelangelo was falling out the window. Now that he thought about it, he had probably been on the second or third floor. He closed his eyes and hoped that the impact would either kill him immediately or spare him further pain.

Forgive me, Empress.

((The plot thickens. I like the sound of "the Artist". I should start using that. :p))

Reactions:
Doukas heard a splash next to him. Did somebody just fall into the fountain he had helped fund last year? Then he noticed it was Senator Favero.

You! You're alive! You won't believe what I overheard in the Senate room. Did you find anyone else?

There were shouts from above. Doukas looked up and saw the German and his Ruthenian accomplice looking down on them from a broken window.
German:
It's him! The Duke!
Doukas hoped his arm was still good enough to shoot at them. He aimed and pulled the trigger twice.

God help me.

((Well this escalated quickly. I was not expecting this to evolve into an action film plot. Maybe I should start writing my own AAR...))

Reactions:
It was sure cold in Heaven. And wet. A bit too wet for Michelangelo's tastes. In fact, he had trouble breathing. Wait, if he's dead, why does he need to breath?

Michelangelo's eyes snapped open and he pushed his head up out of the fountain water, gasping for air. He'd survived, and relatively unscathed too. He vaguely heard a voice as he dragged himself out of the fountain. Two shots followed and a figure fell down into the fountain next to Michelangelo, splashing water all over him. By the way that the water was quickly turning red, he probably wasn't getting out of that fountain.

As Michelangelo regained his sense, he realized that Senator Doukas was standing nearby. He remembered the senator asking a question as he rose from the fountain.

I haven't seen a soul other than the Russians I ran into and that German who tried to shoot me. Oh good God, I killed them, the Russians. I had no choice.

Michelangelo shivered involuntarily, still uncomfortable with the idea of taking another man's life. Then he realized that there may be more of them nearby and that the Empress could be in danger.

We need to find the Empress. Her life is in danger.

((If you can manage an AAR with this much action, I want to read it. I doubt any other iAAR would allow for this. Idhrendur wins the award for best iAAR host. :D Also love the change to your signature. Every AAR need Ruthenian terrorists. :p))

Reactions:
Don't worry, fellow Senator. You did what you had to do for the Empress, for the Senate and people of Rome. I heard that these Ruthenians...they're not working for the government in St. Petersberg or Berlin; they're trying to trick us into a war against Ruthenia and Germania, one we possibly can't win at this point without losing much. We must alert the Empress to this plot. If she hears of the attack on the Senate she will definitely push for war with the Germans and Ruthenians. That is, if she survives today, of course.

((Thanks, I changed it just because it sounded better. I'm not sure if I could write an AAR as detailed as this, as I'm making up most of this (with some inspiration from recent events in This is Madness) as we wait for the update, but I do have some ideas.))

((Alright, I began my AAR. I'm not that good with introductions, though...))

Last edited:
Reactions:
A ruse to lure us into war? Ingenius of them, since we would have bitten that bait with ease with all the hatred of Russia in the Empire. We must make for Blachernae at all haste before it is too late!

Before Michelangelo could say any more, a bullet whizzed past his head and struck the ground. Apparently the second man had not be dealt with like the one in the fountain. Thinking on his feet, he grabbed Senator Doukas and dragged him behind a large bush.

We need to get out of here immediately. Who knows how many of them are roaming the palace.

((Must be some crazy stuff happening in that iAAR then. :p))

Reactions: