• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Luusydh

First Lieutenant
49 Badges
Feb 26, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
I love Paradox. They make absolutely fantastic and engrossing games that can captivate their playerbase for years on end. However, having never properly expressed my love for Paradox games in written, narrative form, I figured it was about time for me to start an AAR. With Legacy of Rome having just been released, Crusader Kings II seems to be the perfect game to start with as well. Who knows, if I survive and enjoy my campaign, I might mod it over to EU3 and continue with my AAR there.

I will be playing as a custom-made dynasty, the Di Jardinians, who will begin the game at the 1066 start with a fairly talented and pious young man by the name of Angelo.

I'll be playing in Vanilla 1.07b so I can test out the new expansion and experience some of the new features.

Rules
  1. No cheating with the console.
  2. No cheating through save-game editing.
  3. No cheating through modding.
  4. No reloading past saves.

For the first part of this game I may have to use some bits of gamey strategy in order to survive, but as a relative newcomer to CK2 in comparison to EU3, I don't know many of these gamey tactics to begin with.

Goals
  1. Acquire the Duchy of Sardinia
  2. Achieve independance from the Holy Roman Empire
  3. Survive until 1399

These are all extremely attainable goals, but challenging for a newbie like myself. As the game progresses, I may add more goals to this list in order to challenge myself further, but I have no aspirations of making a giant deathblob.

The first part of this campaign has been posted and will continued to be updated as the game progresses.

Table of Contents
I. Count Angelo of Arborea (15 September, 1066 - 19 May, 1095)
II. Duke Oberto I of Sardinia (20 May, 1095 - 4 June, 1116)
III. Duke Cangrande I of Sardinia (5 June, 1116 - 3 November, 1161)
IV. Duke Oberto II of Sardinia (4 November, 1161 - 8 September, 1189)
V. Duke Cangrande II of Sardinia (9 September, 1189 - 4 May, 1237)

BONUS CHAPTERS:

Last edited:
You've picked an interesting part of the world and sensible, achievable goals. Good luck, and I'll be following. :)

The Life of a Bachellor (15 September 1066 - 30 January 1072)

rURQW.jpg

De Jure Sardinia and the County of Arborea

Sardinia is often an afterthought. It wasn't fought after so viciously between Muslims and Christians like Sicily was or important cultural centers for the greeks, or 'romans' as they liked to call themselves, like Crete or Cyprus or Rhodes. This would not stop it though. Soon, Sardinia would thrust itself into the position of being a major player in the European game of politics. It would become a dangerous threat to the heathens that called the lands to the east and south home. This was the dream of Angelo I Di Jardinia, Count of Arborea. Angelo was a hard-working, pious man, who despite his weak physical stature had worked his way up from a lowborn child working in the court of Doge Gentile I of Pisa to ruler of his own proper county on the isle of Sardinia at the tender age of 16. He did not know what he had done to impress the Doge, but he would try his hardest not to betray the trust that Gentile had given him.

ezjX4.jpg

Count Angelo I of Arborea, first of the Di Jardinia Dynasty

Angelo reviewed the court that had been supplied to him by the Doge, and while expectedly his liege had not left him the cream of the crop, there were most definitely a few talented men who could be put to good use. Among these men was Bonaventura di Sassari, a native man of Arborea whose family had long standing ties in the capital. He was a man who could persuade another to believe almost anything he argued in conversation or scribed in a letter. This man was sent to the southern county of Cagliari to dig up some scrap of proof that Sardinia was to be united, and it was to be under Di Jardinian rule. The spy assigned to deal with all matters of subterfuge and intrigue in his court was also quite cunning. He was sent to Constantinople to attempt to steal the technology from the Orthodox heretics.His army, was however, less impressive. It seemed fitting that the Doge had given Angelo, a young man famed for his weakness, the barebones of an army and a muscle-headed dimwit to command it. The men under his command would not even be enough to siege an enemy village. Despite having a Bishop answer to him, the piety of the court was something Angelo, a devoted and zealous man, would like improved. His chaplain, marshal and steward were all sent to the capital to delve into the many books in the libraries of Sassari and attempt to improve the realm through knowledge.

Kf8yk.jpg

50XGm.jpg

Not long after his appointing as count, did Angelo receive another offer from his gracious Doge. He wished to appoint Angelo as chancellor to the Republic of Pisa. Angelo could do nothing but accept such a prestigious offer from such a wise liege.

l0ukE.jpg

The first thing Angelo planned to do, like any ruler, was to find a suitable bride. He sent his new court throughout Italy looking for a proper wife for a man of his status. However, Angelo was not focused on love. His focus was on his plans for Sardinia. While his chancellor had been sent to Cagliari, the isle of Corsica to the north still needed to be claimed. He asked his court for more information on the Count of Corsica and interesting information was revealed. Count Oberto di Parma of Parma was his name. Foolish enough to not even include the great Isle of Corsica in his title, and foolish enough still to arrange a betrothal between his eldest daughter, Giuditta, and Angelo. Giuditta was still a child, and would not marry or make permanent residence in Arborea for another six years. This gave the Count of Arborea plenty of time alone in his court with nothing to preoccupy his time but his thoughts of an ever-growing Sardinia.

jOi1G.jpg

Little Giuditta di Parma, future Countess of Arborea

Angelo spent a great deal of time after his initial moves as count biding his time and building the paltry treasury of his realm. He spent much of his time focused on growing the army of Arborea, relentlessly yelling at his marshal, Otto, to recruit more men or better their training for when the time war came. His proved to much for Otto to handle, and less than half a year after Angelo took control of the county, Otto died of severe stress. He was replaced with Mayor Borso, who at first glance appeared to be competent but quickly proved that to not be true at all after he injured himself during a training exercise. Despite this, Angelo wished to keep him as Marshal for longer, not wanting to displease on of his few vassals. However, after numerous petitions, Borso was proved to be unfit for the job, and the title was given to Basilo di Santaigia. The position of chaplain was also re-evaluated after a newcomer to the court, Agapito di Acerno, was proven to be far more competent in leading the daily sermons and copying the library's books.

2EAaz.jpg

dfp2Y.jpg

SMbQS.jpg

Angelo's liege Doge Gentile of Pisa again proved his wisdom and skill when he, along with other Italian dukes declared independence from their German oppressors without bloodshed. The ultimatum was given to Kaiser Heinrich IV by Duchess Matilda of Tuscany, and was signed by the 'Holy Roman Emperor' on the 14th of July, 1068. This would be a historic day for Arborea, for Sardinia, for Pisa and for the rest of the Italian region. The Republic of Sardinia was created by Doge Gentile almost immediately after independence but inexplicably not given to Count Angelo. This upset the count, but the time would come when Di Jardinia would possess that title. The Muslims of North Africa, sensing weakness in Italy being no longer protected by their German overlords, attacked and conquered Salerno. Doge Gentile again, however, proved honourable when he declared war against the Zirid Sultanate to restore catholic rule to the area. Angelo was more then happy to pledge to his liege whatever forces he could.

JsDhJ.jpg

uWX3W.jpg

Around the same time, Count Angelo concocted a plan to grow his Dynasty. His future wife's father had one son and two daughters, Giuditta being the oldest. Under succession laws, if
the son Oberto were to 'disappear', his wife or alternatively her sons, would become heir to the counties of Corsica and Parma. Angelo imeediately embraced this plan and started plotting the assassination of the young Oberto di Parma. He spent most of Arborea's treasury on bribes to try and persuade the Court of Parma to aid him. He soon had garnered enough support, but he would need to wait for a plan to be set in motion to kill the young heir. One eager courtier, offered to set the trap himself and Angelo immediately approved of the man's plan. It proved to be a relatively brilliant one, doing the job but not rousing any suspicion. Oberto was killed just after reaching majority. Unfortunately, as one brat was killed another sprung up. Count Oberto of Parma had a second son, the new heir, that would also need to be dealt with.

G21p4.jpg

DSoYQ.jpg

2jIuS.jpg

Meanwhile, Bonaventura Di Sassari, the loyal chancellor of the court, had produced a claim on the southern half of the island, Cagliari. The army of Arborea was too weak to press any claims at the moment, and the time for war would have to wait. Things kept looking on the up and up for Count Angelo, as in the next year Giuditta di Parma reached majority. The two were wed on the 30th of January, 1972 and it was truly a glorious occasion. Hopefully, a young Di Jardinia boy would soon spring up.

fmIut.jpg

OYAep.jpg

On the Subject of Children, Dead and Alive (31 January, 1072 -17 March, 1083)

Despite his fairly recent marraige, Doge Gentile of Pisa did not give Count Angelo time off for any kind of honeymoon. The heir-making would have to wait, but his new wife was foremost on his mind and he was too distracted from his work to successfully fabricate claims on the county of Napoli like the wise Doge wished of him. A fraction of his own time was spent in his own realm, but within the first year of marriage, Countess Giuditta of Arborea was with child. Now all Angelo could do was cross his fingers and hope for a boy. Angelo's frequent prayers were answered by the lord when a young boy was born to the Di Jardinia family. He decided to name the boy Oberto. After his father-in-law or the deceased sibling of his wife, no one was quite sure.

Kgu2r.jpg

With the birth of his first son and his dynasty's continuity stable for the next few years, the Count of Arborea committed himself to find ways in becoming sneakier and becoming more in touch with the rumour mill of his realm and the greater Italy area. A lowborn in the Pisan court, an old friend from his childhood named Daimbert, requested his aid in killing Archimbaud, another lowborn in the court of Pisa. Angelo had always liked Daimbert and Archimbaud had teased him relentlessly as a child for his weakness so he of course agreed. He hoped his involvement in the plot would give him further experience in the world of espionage. He continued to sink more and more gold into the pockets of various members of the court of Parma, trying to facilitate the assassination of the second son of Count Oberto. Unfortunately, Folkhard, the courtier who had facilitated the offing of the first son, gave away his intentions at a popular tavern one night in Parma. Angelo was not impressed and denied any involvement with the man, but would continue with his plans.

UTlU5.jpg

8SELm.jpg

Doge Gentile continued showcasing his leadership after successfully acquiring Salerno from the filthy Muslims of Africa. He was understandably upset about the lack of aid from the Duke Robert of Apuila, who had managed to lose the county in the first place. He moved for Robert to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church, and his request was obviously granted by the Pope. Using this as an excuse, Duchess Matilda of Tuscany attacked Duke Robert. War raged throughout Italy as the Zirids again attacked, looking to retake Salerno from Pisa.

1kJck.jpg

08hKX.jpg

4cL2x.jpg

The court of Arborea also received an overhaul in this time. A reputed and well-liked merchant visited the County and was given permission to rest in Sassari for the night. He rewarded Count Agnelo for his hospitality with tales of the amazing, faraway land of Hindustan and a loyal servant from the land. He doubted the validity of the story, but the servant, Husam, was talented and hard-working. He would prove to be a very valuable member of the court as he earned the spot of Marshal with the death of Basilio. Bonaventura di Sassari, his loyal Chancellor also passed away, and was replaced with an equally talented man, Orzocorre Torchitorio.

DLCb5.jpg

wKTvU.jpg

On the 14th of April, 1078, Doge Gentile of Pisa passed away from Camp Fever. The funeral was attended by all his closest friends and most loyal subjects. He was succeeded by Palamede Borromeo, a previously untitled noble. Palamede was a cowardly man who showed far too much pride for his few accomplishments. In an act fueled by grief, Duchess Matilda asked that the Pope excommunicate the newly-appointed Doge and unsurprisingly, the Pope granted her request. Despite his relative incompetence, Doge Palamede did manage to achieve victory against the Muslims for Salerno, but only on the coat-tails of the Tuscan and Apuilan military. Matilda at this point, despite being a woman, had proven extremely compentent as Duchess. Angelo secretly wished that she were now his liege lord.

uasRZ.jpg

zYyJC.jpg

F9iwo.jpg

Despite the turmoil in the rest of Pisa's realm, Angelo continued to cement House Di Jardinia's power in Sardinia. Young Azzone di Parma was killed despite his plot being held back by the loudmouth of Folkhard. In fact, Angelo was not even suspected to be involved in the hunting accident. Giuditta, his wife who was once again with child, was now set to be heir, but unfortunately Count Oberto had another young boy by the name of Ardoino. By this time, however, Count Angelo had secured his goodstanding in the count of Parma and the courtiers there were eager to help with the third and hopefully final assasination. Young Ardoino di Parma was killed at the tender age of 1. In the meantime, Giuditta had bore two more sons for Angelo. One was named Azzone, the other Ardoino. Angelo was indeed a very morbid man, but it was now almost certain that the counties of Corsica and Parma would eventually be ruled by a Di Jardinia.

NdBoE.jpg

a3v0Z.jpg

Not looking to divide the realm he had worked so hard to consolidate for his son, the Count instituted Primogeniture Succession and took the education of his eldest son as his own responsibility. He taught his son the importance of knowing the difference between right and wrong, a piece of knowledge Angelo still hadn't quite grasped, and the importance of sharing amongst his peers and benevolence to his future subjects.

sit1i.jpg

Things were undoubtedly looking on the up and up for Arborea. House Di Jardinia was becoming stronger and stronger. Their future patriarch priming to inherit and the extension of their realm being secured, the situation appeared to be almost divine. Unfortunately, their liege, having been excommunicated, was anything but close to God. The selfish Germans decided that Pisa was for their taking and figured the Church's censure of Palamede provided the perfect excuse. Things certainly had become dire very, very quickly.

SsXHv.jpg

You've picked an interesting part of the world and sensible, achievable goals. Good luck, and I'll be following. :)

Looks like I've already achieved one of those goals so I'm quite happy. Thanks!

Good read, so I'm subbed.

I like the factions system, it irritates me how Italy seems to stay HRE all the time.
Seems like I'm buying the expansion.

Yeah. I like the faction system too but I've found it needs some improvements. You should be able to invite people to factions, and as a count in the HRE you can't see any of the factions for the HRE. I had no clue I was going to become independent before it happened.

Last edited:
Panic in Pisa (18 March, 1083 - 31 January, 1092)

Panic was setting in among the various counts, dukes and courts of Pisa. They were all terrified of being returned to the oppressive rule of the Germans and no one seemed to have a clear mind to do anything about it. No one except Count Angelo. The armies of the HRE would roll over them, and a traditional war would not be an option. Too many lives would be lost. This war could be ended in status quo quickly with only one death necessary. The death of the disgusting Doge Palamede of Pisa. Angelo`s plan was clear, the Doge must die.

ld3Co.jpg

Barons, Mayors and Bishops were bribed and convinced that this was the only option to secure their safety. Before long, Angelo had recruited all the help he needed to his cause and Baron Comita had come up with a plan that would end things quickly, putting an end to the war as fast as possible. Unfortunately, Angelo's name would be leaked but few would doubt the validity of his actions. He had saved the Republic of Pisa from a bloody war that was doomed from the start. Kaiser Heinrich IV was forced to end the war forthwith, having no more excuse for attacking Pisa.

LI73V.jpg

KIzIk.jpg

tEMdA.jpg

The new ruler of Pisa was another previously untitled Noble by the name of Guido di Cavanesse. He was a fine liege and ruled competently, participating in the First Crusade called for Jerusalem, winning a third war for Salerno and not stirring up any more trouble than need be. Count Angelo worked hard as chancellor for Doge Guido, successfully fabricating a claim on the independent county of Napoli for his liege.

TVZsf.jpg

ktZ3N.jpg

Peacetime would not last for the county of Arborea, however. The money had been raised to hire the Breton Band and that's exactly what the money would be used for. The contract was drawn up, and the band of Mercenaries were raised, along with Angelo's personal levies in order to claim Cagliari as his own. The men marched into Cagliari relatively unopposed. Unfortunately, after the men of Count Cagliari had been wiped out, Angelo found his treasury empty and could no longer pay the Breton Band their monthly wage. Expectedly, the Band having received no payment withdrew from Cagliari but their victory had already been secured. The County of Cagliari and the entire Isle of Sardinia was now under Di Jardinia rule.

dtp0O.jpg

Ng9Or.jpg

Y9dzL.jpg

Through these years, House Di Jardinia was also improved domestically. The education of Angelo's second born, Azzone would be taken care of by the count himself, while young Ardoino's education would be handled be Angelo's loyal chancellor, Orzocorre. Angelo taught his eldest two many things. Oberto was taught the importance of temperance, bravery and why it was important to defend the word of God at any cost. Young Azzone became a patient and temperate young man, who could sweet-talk his way out of almost any situation. Unfortunately, he did not grasp the imporance of faith as well as his older brother and became quite the cynic. Another member was added to House Di Jardinia as well. A young girl named Adriana was born to Count Angelo and Countess Giuditta.

kABZE.jpg

Count Angelo sought to improve himself as well. He hired an assassin to teach him how to avoid assassinations and plots centred around him or his family. He refused to let what happened to House di Parma happen to his own dynasty. He also attempted poetry and found it to be quite relieving and more than a little useful in wooing some of the ladies of his court. Finally, he decided to help out with his army's training exercises for the day. He was most definitely not the strongest there, but he learned a few things about the strategy and art of warfare.

2NC8M.jpg

FHU0M.jpg

Ow3Hg.jpg

Azzo, Angelo's loyal spymaster could not help but notice a wiser, more competent liege and commented on it. The Count was flattered, if not a little surprised. Azzo unfortunately died of old age not long after, being replaced by a far less competent spymaster, and he would be missed. Around this time, the Court Chaplain approached Angelo with a suggestion to employ a famed philosopher who had arrived in Arborea. Angelo agreed and gave Agapito the money that the man would need for lodging. Oberto would also finish his education, reaching majority as a humble and pious man, much like his father.

MlQv6.jpg

lPcAL.jpg

YU5l8.jpg

In the meantime, Count Oberto of Parma had had yet another son that Angelo would have to depose of. Unfortunately, young Chiafreddo became count before he could be killed. Fortunately, Oberto di Jardinia was still next in line to inherit, and after just inheriting his father's title, Count Chiafreddo was killed. Angelo's name was revealed, but this would matter little. The assassination would give Count Oberto II of Parma the experience he needed, before being given the much more important counties of Arborea and Cagliari to rule.

6IKeA.jpg

33Z4G.jpg

Things were again looking pristine for Count Angelo's realm and he should've known that trouble would again be lurking right around the corner. The Muslims attacked the Republic of Pisa yet again, this time, however, their target was not Salerno, but Sardinia. Angelo immediately prepared for war but he knew that his levies alone would not be enough. He prayed to the Lord for a miracle.

TDKmJ.jpg

Divine Intervention (1 February, 1092 - 19 May, 1095)

This war would be bloody but it would be fought for the glory of God, and there could be no greater glory. The treasury of the realm would be emptied to enlist some professional aid. Despite his previous payment habits, the Breton Band again joined the conflict with glee. They, along with every soldier Count Angelo could raise from Sardinia would defend the isle from the heathens to the best of their ability. They dashed back and forth between the ports of the island, catching some of the landing parties off-guard and slimming the numbers of the invaders. Unfortunately, a good deal of enemies still made it to the front line, and Cagliari was sacrificed so as to build up defence in the capital. It appeared as if all hope was lost.

Xri8m.jpg

The Arborean army sat at their camps ready to lose their mortal lives and take their trip to Heaven with honour. Scouts estimated the enemy forces outnumbered them, but they knew good would always triumph over evil. Count Angelo sat with them in the camp with his most trusted advisers beside him, chattering with different tactics and strategies. He would lead the Arborean front today and he would do so to the best of his ability. They could now see smoke billowing in the distance and the load billowing of the cursed demons. The time was now. It was clear now that the enemy was far greater in numbers than they had previous thought. They had two soldiers ready to die for their false God for every individual Count Angelo had under his command. The situation looked grim, but before the Muslims could prepare their charge, a checkered red and white flag was seen on the seas. As the Zoghabdid forces made their war cries and stormed the coastal city of Oristano, the Croatian army docked and stormed off their boats to bolster the Arborean forces. Count Angelo would not fight alone today and his prayers had most certainly been answered.

eznx7.jpg

The result of the battle would be a massacre. Half of the Islamic forces had been torn down before their generals had called for a retreat. The cowards would be followed and struck down quickly by the combined forces of the Croatian and Pisan army. Angelo dismissed the Breton Band after the first battle of Oristano, but their help had proven invaluable and they had served the Lord nobly.

60Y5h.jpg

NUc9z.jpg

The Muslims had been successfully chased out of Sardinia. Count Angelo, however, would not see the day the war would officially be won. Not long after the battle, he had fallen terribly ill and become bed-ridden, blaming his horrible cough and fever on some plague that the Zoghbadid's had brought to his Holy Island. Every doctor and holy man of the realm was sent to see the king, praying to find some cure to his cold, but their efforts were in vain. In his dying moments, Count Angelo whispered but a few words to his eldest son, his heir. To him he said, "Sardinia is yours now." before shutting his eyes and surely joining his fallen brethren in heaven.

nyW6X.jpg

Last edited:
Talking Gossip and Sipping Poisons (20 May, 1095 - 8 February, 1097)

ayPsm.jpg

Sardinia is yours now...

The words of his father echoed in Oberto's head. Unfortunately for the young count, his father's words weren't entirely true. It was true that the counties that made up the Duchy of Sardinia were his, but control of Sardinia truly fell to his liege, Duchess Matilda of Tuscany. On top of this, the title holder of Sardinia belonged his father's liege, Doge Guido of Pisa. None of this bothered Oberto, however. He was happy with his few counties and despite the grief of his father passing, happy to add a few more to his title. He quickly switched his title to Count of Arborea, as his father would have wanted and moved his capital from Parma to Sassari. Oberto was a talented man. He had a way with words like few others, and was not afraid to strike down naysayers in the name of the Lord.

FSHFe.jpg

Since leaving his father's court to rule Parma, Oberto had been married and had already produced an heir to his realm. His wife, Adelin d'Hauteville, was from the Norman family that governed the relatively large Duchy of Apuila. Married more for her looks and hers talent for thrift, Adelin provided little political advantage for Oberto, but made him an even happier man. His son, Cangrande, on the other hand did not make him as happy. It was clear already that the child was a little on the dumb side. He had yet to say his first words and yet to even attempt walking. Oberto hoped that the boy's thinking would developed as he aged, but he knew that this was not likely.

QykWx.jpg

mr0bn.jpg

While Sardinia was not technically under his rule, the Count would go right to work in bettering it to the best of his abilities, pouring his realm's treasury into the cities, castles and churches that dotted the two islands. Sardinia was his now, and he would take good care of it. Oberto would also work on improving his own weaknesses. Spies were hired and books were read to try and teach him a few things on not getting killed. This would only do so much though, and ultimately he ended up lowering himself into partaking in the gossip of his court to get some real world experience. He enjoyed it far more than he expected.

REoaB.jpg

hvB43.jpg

Problems were faced during his first years as well. His little sister, Adriana, who he had been told to take care of upon his father's passing became very sick with the slow fever and the family was very much worried about her life. Taking care of Adriana had been something that had bonded the family upon Angelo's passing and her death would hit home for House Di Jardinia as a whole. Fortunately, she recovered and the family could breathe a collective sigh of relief.

x9wEf.jpg

Oberto's love for Adelin proved true and in no time, a second son, Oberto III, would be born. Young Oberto luckily did not face the same challenges in his development that Cangrande had. Oberto's brother, Azzone also reached the age of majority at this time. Despite being count, Oberto had always been a little jealous of Azzone. Azzone was simply a better person; more talented in almost every way. He feared his brother might plot to acquire Arborea, but he trusted his brother and saw him as a best friend as well as a brother.

zwpOB.jpg

RSYO6.jpg

Despite winning the war for Sardinia against the Muslims, the First Crusade for Jerusalem was ultimately a failure with the Fatimids ultimately proving too strong for now. To express Arborea's gratitude for Croatia's aid in the war and as a way to cement an alliance, it was proposed Cangrande be betrothed to Princess Mirna of Croatia. The king, despite being very ill, accepted the offer shortly, before he passed away.

rHwIz.jpg

g594i.jpg

A Pointless War (9 February, 1097 - 18 March, 1102)

On the tenth of septmber, year 1097 after the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ, Duchess Matilda of Tuscany declared war on the Republic of Genoa. for control of the county of Ravenna. This was not a war Count Oberto necessarily agreed with, but he would supply whatever troops he could to the effort. Duchess Matilda had proven herself to be infinitely competent in the past and he was content helping her in whatever way he could. Troops were raised from all four of his counties and sent to join the main forces of Matilda.

IxmrF.jpg

TrO3S.jpg

A number of quick strike Pisan units had attempted to scare off the Duchess's army, but they would not budge from Castle Cervia, the lone holding still not under Tuscan rule in Ravenna. The Tuscan army, as far as anyone could tell, clearly out-numbered that of Genoa's but this would change when reinforcements arrived. Before the final Barony could be taken. A 5000 strong army of Genoan men, roughly equal to that of Tuscany's, won a bloody battle to force the retreat back into Tuscan territory. On top of this, Matilda's capital, Florence had fallen to the Genoans. While Tuscany would not surrender after this single, but rather costly loss, Duke Oberto would. He would only give up his required levy and not send any more of his men to death when they could be working his crops.

dIo3u.jpg

While two of the major italian powers were pointlessly fighting, the third Apuila, whose Duke was a man named Rayner d'Hauteville, cousin of his wife, declared himself to be King of Sicily. This would be great news for the Catholic world after the failure of the First Crusade and the growing power of the Hashashins in the east. Oberto of course attended the coronation and festivities afterward and wished nothing but luck for the first king. The Muslim heathens of Africa had always thought of Sicily as their own land and he prayed King Rayner would have the strength to defend a full on assault from the heathens.

douQr.jpg

TrO3S.jpg

Upon his return from Sicily, rumors of a Dragon circulated the realm. Oberto told the rabble and his court of his lack of fear. He could hunt this dragon, he was a brave man who feared nothing. But as the day of the hunt came closer and closer he lost more and more faith in his abilities. He couldn't sleep at night and when he did, nightmares of being roasted alive would wake him. This was the first time he had felt fear in his life. The hunt began and ended and no dragons were found, but Oberto felt like he had cheated in some way.

9QoX3.jpg

ljBl8.jpg

Despite the hunt being over, the nightmares still persisted. Oberto had always been a man under stress, forced to live up to his father's legacy when both of his brothers seemed to be better suited to the task. This stress only got worse with his lack of sleep and one of the noblemen of his court, a man from Sicily named Ioannes, confronted him about his uptight behaviour. Oberto accepted the criticism and spent much time talking to the aged courtier. He sent Ioannes a relatively small coin purse for his aid, but wished he could do more for the man's help. He felt more relaxed since spending time around the man and would experiment a little more in life, dabbling in the more pleasurable things in life.

nyVOk.jpg

WeY3O.jpg

During this time, the family Di Jardinia continued to grow. The education of the still dim-witted Cangrande would be taken as Oberto's own responsibility. It would certainly take a degree of patience. Ardoino, his brother would reach the age of majority and follow his father's pious footsteps. A daughter was born to the family as well. Young Giuseppa was Oberto's third-born and would unfortunately not receive the same amount of attention as her older brothers.

Oyt4B.jpg

LYVfr.jpg

The court of Arborea would double when the family Aleramicci was invited to move in after being kicked out of the county of Monferrato by their former liege Duke Wilhelm of Susa. House Aleramicci would of course be welcomed. Oberto did not know the pain of being oppressed by the Germans, but his father certainly had and would treat these newcomers with respect. Many members of the dynasty were quite talented men and soon made up half of Oberto's council.

P7Ojo.jpg

rn0EK.jpg

During the waning years of the war, many requests were asked of Oberto. Some were granted and some were not. The first came from his Mayor of Oristano who demanded lower taxes on his city. It was clear that the man just wanted to pay less money himself and Count Oberto would rightfully decline his request. His brother Azzone came to him next, however, looking for land. He would trust his brother with the county of Parma. He would retain control of Sardinia, but it would allow his brother to grow the family Di Sardinia on mainland Italy.

AHPsc.jpg

nj5Bd.jpg

The war was quickly ended, with a stalemate declared. The deaths of his peasants would prove for not but Oberto would have to be satisfied with this.

Djjf0.jpg

Words of a Father (19 March, 1102 -10 July 1109)

As one italian war ended, two more sprung almost simultaneously. The first was again from the wretched germans, unbelievably claiming the Republic of Pisa as one of their rightful titles. Doge Guido of Pisa did not have much help in the war, but he would hold out as long as he could. The second was a campaign started by Count Oberto himself. He wished to integrate the Grand City of Bologna into the Duchy of Tuscany under his own rule, and he had the documents to prove that House Di Jardinia had every right to do this.

yWwZw.jpg

0q3TJ.jpg

Oberto called on his brother, now the Count of Azzone, to aid him in Bologna but it seemed to be rather pointless. The city barely had 100 troops to its name and they were plowed through by the Arborean force. While Count Oberto dealt with the tiny army of Bologna, his brother had given the familial alliance a headstart on the sieging of the area. The war was ended very quickly, and the title of Grand Mayor of Bologna given to his second brother, Ardoino.

M2O84.jpg

RfXg8.jpg

The Holy Roman-Pisan War also finished as expected, but with consequences that would make Count Oberto furious. The title of Duke of Pisa was of course usurped from Doge Guido after his unsuccessful defence efforts, but that would leave him with the Doge of Sardinia as his most important title. This man had no control over the isles, yet still insisted that he was its ruler. This infuriated Oberto and he ceased to act with his usual calm demeanour even around his closest friends, but he unfortunately didn't want to risk his current holdings and standing for independence from his Duchess. Besides, she had proved infinitely competent in her rule. Nothing could be done. For the time being.

B7W1K.jpg

49lkH.jpg

House Di Jardinia continued to grow at home as well as abroad. Two children were born to Adelin and Oberto. One girl, Cecilia and one boy, Bruno. Bruno had troubles speaking for the first period of his life and Oberto worried that he suffered the same problems that plagued his eldest. Fortunately or unfortunately, the only reason the boy didn't say much is because he kept so much from his parents. A natural-born liar.

f0KB6.jpg

5J0yo.jpg

In the meantime, his heir, Cangrande, and his sister, Adriana both reached the age of majority. Cangrande did not seem to be the best in line for rule, but there was nothing Oberto could do about it. He would never kill his child, even if it would make his family's future holdings stronger. He would just hope to pray that God would guide his son that the Lord had guided Oberto. If anything else, Oberto had arranged him a brilliant Russian woman to be his wife. If she were to be the power beyond the count, that wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

4gNpA.jpg

IuPfg.jpg

A second claim was fabricated on the coastal county of Veglia in Croatia. The Duke who held it had rebelled against his motherland seeking independence, and Oberto had sensed an oppurtunity to strengthen his relations with his already close ally Croatia by acquiring a border near them. Both of his brothers were called into the war, and after a very close, bloody battle and siege, the county was acquired.

bYOt1.jpg

NDhWo.jpg

When he returned from his trek, he became quite ill with the disease his medicus labeled 'small pox'. Other member of House Di Jardinia caught the same plague, but all recovered thankfully. As he was recovering, it gave him time to return to his old ways and join the gossip of his court. During this time, he had an epiphany. He had been doing nothing in the waning years of his life. Sardinia had not grown or become Oberto's own. He had been wasting his life chatting and occasionally going to war for no reason. His scare with death had woken him. And he had a goal now.

4JObs.jpg

i3fZn.jpg

Sardinia is yours now...
The words of his father echoed in his head and never left his mind. The first step was declaring independence from Duchess Matilda. Oberto could never be a proper duke while still answering to a liege of his own rank. He raised his levies as the Duchess raised her own to quell a tiny uprising on the mainland. He also enlisted the help of a large group of Bulgarian mercenaries. These mercs along with his own army made their way to the capital, where they, 3000 strong, would hand-deliver Oberto's ultimatum. She had no choice but to accept.

rozyX.jpg

lndL0.jpg

Step two was taking back the title which rightfully belonged to him. As Doge Guido sat in Salerno, unaware, Oberto declared himself Duke of Sardinia. Guido could not protest, because he knew he had no rightful claim on the title. Sardinia was his now, like his father had said and it had taken him less than a year to accomplish this.

1C0h3.jpg

Di Gardinier (11 July, 1109 - 4 June, 1116)

As the title Duke of Sardinia was taken by its rightful ruler, plague struck the island. House Di Jardinia was struck by a horrible outbreak of consumption, with Adelin, young Oberto, Adriana and Giuseppa all becoming deathly ill. Duke Oberto managed to stay safe from the disease through his daily prayers, and none of the family died of the disease. Unfortunately, a second disease struck the Isles, the plague of heresy. Two consecutive court chaplains, both from the Aleramicci family, came to Oberto, attempting to convince the Duke to adopt the same Fraticelli heresy that they had. Both were sent to the dungeons to become a little closer to God, but Oberto was petitioned by the ever plentiful House Alermicci to put them under house arrest. He did it, lest he anger the majority of his court.

sygiv.jpg

FLQ1n.jpg

In external affairs, there was an unfortunate misunderstanding with the Kingdom of Croatia when they declared war for the county of Veglia. Oberto recognised that they were the rightful holders of this county and immediately worked on negotiating a peace with the Croatian king. Veglia was given back to Croatia and Oberto's daughter, Giuseppa, was pledged to the firstborn son of King Ljutomisl in order to cement an alliance between the two realms. Oberto still had great respect for the croatians, much as his father did.

c52we.jpg

bS6km.jpg

On the isle, despite the spread of consumption, the dynasty continued to flourish. Giuseppa and young Oberto both reached the age of majority. Giuseppa seemed to have grown into quite the capable woman. Oberto III reminded the Duke very much of himself at that age, and part of him wished that his second-born and namesake, rather than his less than intelligent first-born, would be his heir. There was still nothing that the duke could do about this however.

44eGH.jpg

BvtpG.jpg

Despite losing possession of Veglia, the duchy of Sardinia still needed to grow. Uniting the islands of the Mediterranean would be its purpose, and it would accomplish that goal sooner or later, and it would be accomplished under Di Jardinia rule. War was declared against the heathens of Malorca. Croatia and Rus would both honour their obligations and join Oberto's holy war. It would be won with ease, despite the heroism of one Muslim soldier who would hold the line by himself.

4BZyK.jpg

Ts3mY.jpg

Despite the success across the waters, it had come at a grave cost. Duke Oberto had been terribly wounded across his right shoulder during one of the initial conflicts and was sent back immediately. This did, however, give Oberto plenty of time to pick up a hobby during his recovery process. Looking at the cluttered mess of Castle Sassari's grounds and decided then and there that he would become a gardener and help clean up the mess his servants had so obliviously ignored.

8CLJ8.jpg

De6uw.jpg

Unfortunately, spending all that time around dirt and servants was not the best idea for the Duke with a nasty wound still recovering. Despite his best precautions, infection started to fester along his shoulder and eventually to his arm. He would succumb to this disease, leaving his idiotic son Cangrande in charge of this budding new nation. In his final moments, he prayed his son would not ruin all he and his father had worked for.

cY59d.jpg

kSDs6.jpg

Some Men Are Made to Serve (27 July, 1116 - 26 July, 1119)

f2Uno.jpg

Duke Cangrande I of Sardinia. It was not a title that necessarily rolled off the tongue. It didn't sound right. Cangrande was, in truth, a man who's talents would be excellent proof against monarchies. He was a man who made many enemies, could not manage money, could not keep even the most closely guarded secret and was unable to keep even basic facts in his shallow pool of knowledge. Worst of all, Cangrande was fine with this. He had always been a bit slow as a child, but that did not stop his father from doting on him. As a result, Cangrande was a man too lazy and unskilled to properly rule a great land like Sardinia. Fortunately, Cangrande's mother, Adelin, was at least aware of the fact that he was an extremely dismal ruler. She pleaded her son to swear fealty to her kin, King Rayner d'Hauteville of Sicily. Despite some initial resistance based on Cangrande's macho ego, Cangrande gave in to his much more intelligent mother's requests and swore fealty to the throne of Sicily after Rayner promised that Cangrande could keep his title of 'Duke', however meaningless it now was.

BP02c.jpg

tjPdz.jpg

Houses Di Jardinia and D'Hauteville had long enjoyed good relations with each other, and as a sign of the friendship, King Rayner decided to celebrate Cangrande's new allegiances. A grand tournament was organized and held in Sicily to commemorate the oaths and Cangrande would of course attend and hopefully bring glory to Sardinia. The one thing Cangrande was at least semi-proficient in was the art of war and how to wield a sword. This was mostly because of his ever lingering fantasies of dragon slaying and monster hunting that had stayed with him since his boyhood. This was even more reason to participate in the tournament, he could be the honourable knight he had always dreamed of being.

ox7IZ.jpg

Unsuprisingly, Cangrande did not win but he did not do as poorly as many of his sceptics had predicted he would. In addition to winning, Cangrande broke up a fight between two other knights, bickering about who was better. When the Duke stepped in between them, broke them up and declared that he was better in battle than both of them, the tension broke and the knights walked away, amiably laughing over some unknown joke with each other.

fwt2x.jpg

As he returned to Arborea, Cangrande decided to celebrate his performance in the tournament with his wife, and in no time, she was with child. Cangrande would have to wait before he knew the child`s gender, but he prayed every night that it might be a son who would one day succeed him. Despite news of the pregnancy, a gloom fell over House Di Jardinia as Cangrande`s brother-in-law, Alexios, died tragically just days after the birth of his first-born. His child was a young girl by the name of Maria, and Cangrande would be sure that the young girl received a proper upbringing.

SigBG.jpg

God was proven to be strong in the first three years of Cangrande's reign, with news of a new Holy Order, the Knights Templar. Sicily would also spread His word devoutly The neighbouring Sunni-controlled province of Trapani would be brought under proper catholic rule, and the Isle of Malta would be captured by Duke Cangrande himself, adding to Sardinia's possessions along the Mediterranean. The city of Mdina would be granted to Cangrande's much more capable brother Oberto to rule, but control over the island would remain the Duke's responsibility.

ParUb.jpg

In Arborea, during the war for Malta, Duchess Marina gave birth to Cangrande's first-born and despite his fervent prayers, the child was a girl. Even worse still, young Fosca di Jardinia seemed to be plagued with the same brand of stupidity as her father. That night, Cangrande asked what he had done wrong for God to reward him so poorly. Maybe taking Malta would improve his worth in God's eyes. This was all he could hope for.

Z9KBh.jpg

A Sunless Time (27 July, 1119 - 28 May, 1123)

Fosca di Jardinia was most certainly not what Cangrande had been hoping for when his wife had first told him the good news that she was pregnant. Problem number one, she had inherited his father's intelligence. Cangrande was a humble man and accepted the fact that he had not been blessed with the best of brains, but he did not understand why his heir must suffer the same fate. The second problem was that she was female. While a female ruler could be competent, it was unlikely. So began a dark period of Cangrande's life, where he turned his back on God for a short time. He started to turn to the pubs and life of the night to lift his spirits.

tRrl3.jpg

A life of hedonism, however, was still not enough to fill the hole in his heart that only a son could fill. A spy was caught inside the castle, and instead of letting the traitor go or letting him off with time in jail or a hefty fine, Cangrande decided that as duke, he had the right to behead the man himself. This won him applause from the more barbaric in Sardinia, but the church looked at this act with a sour face. He could'nt've cared less.

6nMiS.jpg

A revolt arose in his newly-conquered province of Malta, but he would not be bothered. If God were truly as powerful as was to be believed, the heretics would be struck down without his intervention. Fortunately, a brigade of Croatian troops had been staying in Malta since its conquest, in order to strike down any heathens should they arm themselves. Though the revolt had been squashed without his intervention, this still held no meaning for Cangrande.

tdv43.jpg

God did not seem to look favourably upon King Rayner of Sicily either. The mainland was struck with a terrible plague of smallpox and unfortunately, the King's wife would succumb to the terrible disease, leaving the world far more ugly and scarred than she had been in healthier days. The King took this as an opportunity to marry the lowborn courtier he had long had romantic flings with. The girl was an excellent poet, and a proper Norman, but not many could see what Rayner saw in the girl.

NIUNc.jpg

The two men felt as if God had turned His back on them. And so, they schemed together. Though not that adept at keeping his mouth shut, Rayner trusted Cangrande. They saw each other as kindred spirits, despite their cultural differences, and would plot together to revoke the county of Messina. Cangrande would aid to the best of his rather limited ability.

RWsaW.jpg

That is when it happened. Marina once again came to Cangrande with news of her pregnancy. This did not immediately break Cangrande's pessimism towards his Creator, but it did restart his habit of praying nightly. This time, despite his recent life of debauchery and sin, Cangrande would be rewarded. An able-minded boy would be born to him on the 28 May, 1123. He would name the boy Oberto, after his much more capable father.

KUCvM.jpg

Just be careful you don't anger any little Corsicans who might take Malta away...

Of course! Sardinia will never falter to Muslims or Corsicans!

Family Feud (29 May, 1123 - 16 January, 1131)

With the birth of his first son, Cangrande was once again a very happy duke. His sister, Cecilia, came of age. She was quite adept at making a first impression, but her lack of subtlety and cruel nature made her few lasting ties. She would be married off to the Duke of Calabria's eldest son in order to solidify an alliance inside the kingdom. At around the same time, a second son would be born to Cangrande. Cangrande's good fortune had not lasted with the birth of this child however. His second son, Albino di Jardinia had been born a dwarf. Luckily for the child, Albino would not be in place to inherit any of his father's realm and would still win his father's reluctant love.

RYwL4.jpg

The plot of King Rayner and Duke Cangrande to win back the county of Messina would come to fruitition, but not without its cost. The more than unwilling count would not give up Messina without a fight. While the ensuing war would be easily won by Sicily, King Rayner had taken it as a matter of personal pride that he lead the forces himself. In battle, he would by by grazed by one of the defender's swords and suffered what should have been a minor flesh wound. Unfortunately, the battlefield was not a good place for a cut to heal. The infection that took root in his right arm soon consumed his body, letting his soul return to the Lord above.

OENI8.jpg

Death seemed to surround Cangrande in these times. In a stroll around his father's garden, Cangrande noticed a man perched precariously on one of the higher windows of Castle Sassari. A growing crowd was forming underneath him, but still a safe distance from where he might fall. One of his servants had obviously not been experiencing the best times of his life, and it was Cangrande's job to prevent such a tragic possibility of having to hire a new servant. He ran from the garden and climbed the tower, taking the steps two at a time. To everyone's surprise and despite his lack of oral grace, the man was successfully convinced to continue his eternally pathetic life of servitude.

i4y1o.jpg

A new King was crowned quickly after the death of King Rayner. His son, Silvester, an exceptionally skilled swordsman and general, would now take control of the kingdom. A zealous man, he would win numerous wars against the heretic Muslims in few years of his reign. Unfortunately for young King Silvester, many of his vassals did not take kindly to him declaring his authority over them in such an explicit way. He would create numerous new laws in the kingdom to extend his power over the Italian realm.

cN18G.jpg

Tensions would grow in Sicily, but the duchy of Sardinia would continue to grow. The education of Albino would be the responsibility of his wife, Marina, while Cangrande, despite not being the best of mentors, would take charge of the education of Fosca and Oberto himself. During these times of peace, Cangrande spent much time at home with his wife and soon found himself thinking about her more often than he might've once liked to. He was in love, and it was wonderful. He would vacation to Mallorca with Marina and grew to love the islands like he loved his wife. When he returned, he would name himself Duke of Mallorca, giving the archipelago immense amounts of importance.

qDxWf.jpg

xDNBj.jpg

His daughter Fosca completed her education not long after this and grew into a proper woman. She was, however, still quite stupid and not of exceptional talent in anything. She would not make a good wife, but Cangrande would do his best to try and pawn her off to a suitor if ever one showed up. His mother, Adelin, passed away during these days of peace as well. His blood tie to the ruling D'Hauteville family was now gone.

dJ38f.jpg

The loss of his mother would prove tragic in more ways than a man with Cangrande's limited knowledge could've predicted. King Silvester was now longer obligated to protect Sardinia any more than he might any other vassal realm. This also meant that war between the liege lord and his vassal was a possibility, and this is exactly what would happen. The Duke of Calabria had long been scheming to put Silvester's younger brother, Roscelin, onto the throne. Cangrande would not participate in these plots, but unfortunately his alliance to the Duke obligated him to answer the Duke of Calabria's call to arms anyway. Cangrande was now at war with his king.

MXmKx.jpg

The war would not go well and Cangrande would hold out on joining his army on the front lines until the education of his eldest son was completed. He had taught Oberto all (which was not much) he knew, and on the day of his son's 16th birthday, he was confident that should he die in battle, Duke Oberto would rule Sardinia competently. With this confidence, he sailed off to join his brethren on the mainland.

lT1LV.jpg

Cangrande arrived too late tough. The war had quite clearly already been decided, and the armies of King Silvester now greatly outnumbered his and his allies. His arrival would only facilitate the signing of the peace treaty, as well as making it significantly easier for King Silvester to throw Cangrande in his dungeon.

llOaQ.jpg

King Silvester did not treat Cangrande with the utmost kindness, and even the duke could figure out why. He had bbackstabbed and betrayed a man who had trusted him utterly, and he deserved to be thrown in the dungeon. Cangrande would still do his best to petition his way out, however. Silvester would respond to his pleas for freedom by throwing him in the oubliette and claiming his capital as his own property. Arborea was no longer under Sardinian rule.

IsylF.jpg