• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MTNK

Recruit
70 Badges
Mar 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Now this is a first try, just trying to see what happens. Starting at January 1 7999 with just the base game mod to see what kind of story it tells. Feedback is welcome along with any questions you might have.

----------

I am Ashara Sand and through the death of my father that I have met but twice I have been pulled from the place I considered home deep into the depths of the Dornish deserts. From being a companion and playmate near Plankytown I was brought up to never consider I would amount to anything. Now after a hellish trip and the removal of stain of bastardry sealed by Princess Meria of Dorne I find myself as Lady of Sandstone, deep in the sands.

1_zpsveosjwuc.jpg

The castle, calling it that is charitable, has a single keep and a stone wall just tall enough not to reach up and climb over, then it doesn’t need to be. In every direction, as far as the eye can see and much further I am told, is desert. No water, no plants, just stone and sand. The well in the courtyard is the only reason there is anything here at all. My trip here was by horse from oasis, caves and small camps, the people here are always on the move, caravans and water traders seem to be all I am lady of. Even though I am Dornish, I think it must be exceptionally clear that I do not belong here.

2_zpsziynx2al.jpg

I should be grateful to the Seven, I might mean something now I have a tower in the desert which if far more than I ever thought possible. Yet even after my first night it is clear it is hardly mine. Ser Edric of Vart is Castellan with his own, smaller tower beyond the horizon to the south. He is an ambitious man and I think it clear that he feels the Princess should have appointed him the castle. He runs everything here, even appointing the rest of the council. I’m mostly clueless even if I was brave enough to say something, I’m hardly used to giving orders.

Council1_zpsw6zrcg5y.jpg

Our Justriciar is Master Arron of the Shady Sands, an oasis village yet further south still, towards the coast. He seems capable however is coward, normally just agreeing with whatever Edric says, though I have seen him shouting himself hoarse when a servant dropped a box of his belongings.

I consider myself a peaceful person of the faith but, I at least know which end of a sword to hold. The Warrior has not been kind to our Town Septon Caleotte who has absolutely no concept of warfare and no member of my garrison seems to never train, or even walk the walls of our tiny keep. He is also a coward and agrees to everything Edric says, I might be little more than a child but even I can see it.

Our Treasurer, also an Edric though lowboard is capable, if vile. He talks well in between constant swearing and he likes nothing more than the subject of himself. He is the strongest man in all of Dorne to have him tell it. However it seems by intimidation and shaking down the peasants literally, he collects the meager income we have.

Castos is our spymaster and you guessed it, a coward. Craven and Paranoid he jumps at shadows and thinks everyone is trying to kill him. Given that everyone in my court other than Edric seems to talk in whispers when they think themselves alone and the mysterious fate of my father and his trueborn daughters, he might not be wrong.

I at least have two allies in court, Septon Ulwyck is a stubborn man who while not very keen on me as a bastard is a true believer and as I am, doesn’t hate me. He also stands up to Edric of Vart once in awhile.

Finally our Maester Pearse, as smart as any Maester I have met. He is rude, fat and farts like a bull. He doesn’t seems to care little for the well being of anyone else at all. He wants little more than to be left alone to his scrolls and books. However as I am his Lady he also does his best to make me aware of just what a nest of scorpions I find myself in. It is not just threats here he warns me of, Lord Yandry of Brimstone also converts my land and now my father is dead, will surely make his claim sooner or later. What I can do with the rallied forces of those who live in this place against him and his vassals? Maybe I will only be here but for a short time.

Yandry_zpsiiizbeni.jpg

Finally a storm rages about all of Dorne. Having conquered all of the other Five Kingdoms Archon Aegon turns his attention to Dorne, bringing all of his force and word has it, dragons. Being surrounded by a desert might not be so terrible after all. It least I will be away from it all.

Assuming I even live that long.

For now my council do as they will, or rather as Edric wills. I will take take what Pearse says to heart and try to learn something of warfare.

Chapter 1

Dorne has called its banners, the Dragon King cometh. All of 313 march from Sandstone, compared to over sixteen hundred of our neighbour to the east, or so I am told by Edric. He has sent Arron to make Lord Yandry see that we are good neighbours and he has nothing to gain by moving against us. I am sure he is telling the truth, why would he have sent for me if he was plotting against me?

To%20war_zpscpthp1bf.jpg

He has also been talking loudly about finding a marriage for me, I am uncertain who he has in mind. I was still once a bastard, he has made it clear it would have to be some lesser lord that would make a good match, maybe one older than myself. Most of the council mummers in agreement but doesn’t seem very interested. At all these meetings I find it best to just be quiet, I am certain that if I did not appear they would be held without me. I am not consulted or given any heed, merely tolerated.

Needing a break I have found that my father owned some hawks and they need to be let out every few days, the falconer normally does this but I went along to watch and the elderly man showed me how to fit the glove and hood the birds. It is quite a thrill to watch such majestic creatures hunt, I surprised even myself with how absorbed I was. I handed another of the birds to the man behind me, Edric the Treasurer who has invited himself. Despite his claims of being an expert he seemed surprised by the bird and gave a barrage of obscenities as it flew up and away, never to be seen again. I am not certain I can trust this man at his word.

3_zpszfjqfa7o.jpg
4_zpserbtwbum.jpg
During all this time, our halpless Master at Arms leads our liege levees towards Skyreach, to the north before heading towards Sunspear I hope the Seven guide him and our men. Shortly after the messenger arrives a raven gives me far more surprising news. I have been invited to the wedding of Prince Anders, the second son of the Princess to his new Valyrian Bride. While we are at war, apparently the Princess has other priorities. Though I dread the thought of another trip through the desert and hate crowds, the Princess raised me up. I must go and show my gratitude, it is going to be a long month.

5_zpsx6icmzor.jpg

Anders_zpsdipu0hlp.jpg

Interesting%20Wedding_zpsxfchxq0i.jpg
(It shall be a most interesting wedding I am sure)

The wedding went off without a hitch, almost no one made comments that he was marrying our enemy and I actually found it quite romantic. I kept out of the way and tried to avoid everyone, however several young lordlings seemed to follow me everywhere. Apparently owning a tower in the desert make one very, desirable. Though not a single one of them seems even remotely interested in marrying me without taking every single thing I have.

Getting away from them in the hall I find myself next to Ser Ricasso, a household knight who is one of Dorne’s commanders, though not one currently storming the beaches of Driftmark. We actually talked and laughed, I like him and he doesn’t seem to care too much of my history. He introduced me to Lord Aron of Prince’s Pass, Master of Arms of Dorne and while in his fifties still very spry. They were both rather terrible influences and the three of us went out into the gardens, away from the feast with several flagons of wine. They were perfect gentlemen and we talked a lot about, everything. It was nice to have someone to be honest with about the whole situation. I hope we can meet more often after this. At the very least Lord Aron is only a horrible two week trip across the desert from Sandstone.

Drunk1_zpswrejuh19.jpg
Drunk2_zps0doustpv.jpg
We returned for the bedding, I hope my own wedding, to whoever it might be is not to a man almost three times my age. The poor girl, yet apparently to some scandal, she isn’t even noble, a simple commoner from Dragonstone.

I am certain many more will shortly arrive however, I best make my leave of the capital soon for rumors are that a fleet flying black and red sails comes south.

Reactions:
I will sub too.

I love GoT and Dorne so looking forward to this.