• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XXVII

The Battle of Stavropol

The nature of Melissinos’ eastern gambit is all the more incredible considering the nature of the odds against him, the rash decision in his invasion, and the shifting dynamics of the power politics in Greece and Constantinople. After his initial failed invasion of the Mongols of the Steppes, retreat, and reorganization, there was a real fear among his camp that he had erred in the same manner as Crassus a millennia and half ago. The Battle of Stavropol was one of the great moments in Roman military lore.

Outnumbered by as much as three-to-one according to some historians, more likely one-and-a-half to one by all reasonable estimates,* the Battle of Stavropol would also prove to be the last great battle of the Mongol Horde in Southern Russia before being swallowed up by the Grand Duchy of Moscovy later in the sixteenth century. It was also memorable for Melissinos’ employment of the Spanish “pike and shot” formation which had grown popular in Europe, and was borrowed by the Romans after the Second Italian War. Although the Roman army was lacking in the same quantity of firearms as their Western neighbors, the system was still as effective in the east as it was in the west—especially in defense of the numerous cavalry forces common in eastern warfare.

The battle was made sometime at daybreak, with a Mongol raid on the Roman forward camp, wiping it out entirely. The loss of the 500 or so men proved fatal in the early hours of the battle. Melissinos was blind, and he was reluctant to use his sparse cavalry force on a suicide reconnaissance mission. It was out of no other option that he deployed his men in the pike and shot formation, rightly guessing the predominant Mongol force was that of cavalry.

His artillery held the center ridge directly behind him and the pike and shot formation employed in front of his artillery. A smaller pike and shot formation was placed to guard the left flank of his artillery, with his cavalry holding the other. The Mongols attacked in a frontal charge, still using the antique bow and arrow, which proved woefully ineffective against the modest but still highly armored Roman infantry. The Roman artillery and firearms kept the Mongol heavy horse at bay, causing extensive damage to the finest horsemen of Eastern Europe.

By noon, the situation became a defensive battle with the Mongols poking at the points of the Roman lines in hopes to break the defense—but the Roman line held firm. By midday, the Mongols had retired after suffering withering losses. The battle, although a victory, proved the inability of the Romans to conquer the Horde. Melissinos personally parleyed with the Mongols to negotiate a truce to the encounter. The Horde, facing an invasion further from the east by Kazaks, agreed.

An inaccurate depiction of the battle of Stravopol.

This put the pressure on Melissinos’ propaganda machine to present the failed invasion as a defensive success. The Mongols were quickly portrayed as the invaders of the Roman Empire, to which they were promptly beaten back. Melissinos invaded the Steppes, defeating the Mongols in a series of battles that led to them begging for a truce. Out of grace and mercy, Melissinos accepted. Thus, Melissinos was not only a savior of the empire, he was a devout saintly Christian man who bestowed mercy upon heathens. It was a win-win for him. A devastating setback for his rivals.

However, this also proved the limits of Melissinos’ capabilities. Against his rivals, and against petty rebels, he was clearly the superior. Against a potentially dangerous foe, however, he was capable of only defensive action at best—restricted from the conquering glory of Julius Caesar of Augustus. His tactical ability was stretched to the limit. His invasion was foolish. His rearguard action, brilliant.

At the end of his eastern campaign, one thing was clear. He possessed the loyalties of scribes, historians, and artisans that would do his bidding. Saving him from embarrassment, and highlighting his potential at every moment. His propaganda machine was something that would make modern political parties envious. The success of his stories, unrivaled. This prompted a reaction from Gabras and Duke Michael, neither of whom wanted to be cast into the shadows by Melissinos’ success.

Gabras Gathers His Army

Ambrosios Gabras gathered his strength in Greece in preparation of an invasion of Servia to highlight his ability and, whereas Melissinos was a defensive hero, he would be a conquering hero. The change of direction would be noticed even in the darkest corridors of Constantinople. Gabras was able to amass a force of 8,000 men to invade the weakened Servians, who had suffered the brunt of a series of Turkish invasions stemming from their failure to conquer Constantinople.

Gabras’ intention was clear. With the people enthralled by the stories of Melissinos’ eastern gambits, Gabras was to re-win their hearts by conquering the Servs and opening a new front against the Turks. The Servs were isolated and without friends—in part, because most of the courts of Europe saw their impending doom and did not want to get drawn into a further conflict with other parties interested in conquering their lands. In particular, the Turks, although weakened by the Romans, were still a regional power in the Balkans and Anatolia—although the walls of Constantinople were starting to chip away at their power, as was the Sultan in Cairo.

Gabras’ pending invasion was, however, put on hold when news arrived of Duke Michael’s condemnation of Melissinos. He requested his arrest, and to Gabras’ knowledge, the general who was the “savior of the empire” was held up in the brig. He had to make the decision whether to accept this news as factual and keep his cordial relationship with the nobles, or anger them by embarking on a new conquest of his own.

Of course, Duke Michael was deliberately preventing Gabras from basking in the glory of conquest and victory. He knew that such a policy would cause him to be strung up by the mob who adored Melissinos—even if his victories were exaggerated. Michael wanted to keep Gabras under his thumb in this political saga. And for all his ability, Gabras had fallen for it.

>>> Continue (next chapter forthcoming)​

*Again, this is an attempt to highlight the inclusion of “primary” documentation, which, prior to the rise of methodological historiography in the Enlightenment, was often inflated to convey miraculous odds and sanctified battles—this is even true of the Greek and Roman accounts of Antiquity.

Reactions:
Ah, more intrigue!

I've been listening to The History of Byzantium podcast to get an overview of the history (having finished The History of Rome), and as a result I'm going to probably have to reread this AAR in its entirety at some point. Not that that's a bad result at all. :)

I guess the time of conflicts hits the Roman Empire, with war after war striking the lands while a child rules supreme. And once again propaganda hides the flaws of the Roman Empire so that nobody actually adresses the problems that the Empire is in. So nobody will ever fix these problems....until everything breaks down.

Ah, more intrigue!

I've been listening to The History of Byzantium podcast to get an overview of the history (having finished The History of Rome), and as a result I'm going to probably have to reread this AAR in its entirety at some point. Not that that's a bad result at all. :)

Haha! I'm glad you are. Well, only the introduction posts are "real" history in the sense that it's the same as what your podcast probably said. But the rest of this AAR, as you already know, has history "hidden" into my explanations of what's going on. :)

I guess the time of conflicts hits the Roman Empire, with war after war striking the lands while a child rules supreme. And once again propaganda hides the flaws of the Roman Empire so that nobody actually adresses the problems that the Empire is in. So nobody will ever fix these problems....until everything breaks down.

Ssshhhh! Don't spoil the conclusion part of my AAR! :p

SerBians, or how will you explain the v/b mess-up of this timeline? :rolleyes:

Servian is an antiquated spelling of Serbian in English, common in nineteenth century/turn of the twentieth, histories. Since my pseudonym billed this AAR as having been an early 1900s account, just like why I use "Mohammedan" instead of Muslim (even though I would never do so in my professional work for obvious reasons), is the only reason why I'm using V over B. Oh the English language... :eek: :p

I'm sorry. I didn't want to spoil that your AAR, "The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization", will include the decline of the Roman Empire which will ultimately lead to it's fall. In the future I will be more careful, I promise!

It's always nice when someone properly understands sarcasm and can be witty back on the internet instead of the usual reactions one finds in the murky corridors of the world wide web

You mean the title doesn't give anything away, or my constant notes that a decline and fall is promised? :p

(On that note, I do admit to still not fumbling about how I want to end this properly, so you can pitch in all the ideas you want) :eek:

Last edited:
And I thought you were just plagiarizing Gibbon... :rolleyes::confused::(

Plagiarizing is a strong accusation! :D

(And know you can gasp since I actually dislike Gibbon a lot, in real life) :eek:

It's probably because Gibbon was very much a Whiggish historian rather than a factual one, and blamed Christianity for the fall of the Roman Empire, due to his convenient belief that the Eastern portion became less Roman by adopting Greek. Something I always found strange as didn't most Roman nobles try to learn and speak Greek even over (High) Latin?

Also, I've had this thread watched for a while but never posted any good will, so good work on this AAR volkmarschal, while I would like to see a few more in-game pictures, I appreciate that this AAR was finished long ago.

It's always nice when someone properly understands sarcasm and can be witty back on the internet instead of the usual reactions one finds in the murky corridors of the world wide web

True, true. Fortunately I know you and your style long enough and consider myself to not be one of these extremely internet-extroverted guys that....you know what I mean. I think that looking at things with a more open, playful mindset makes things much better than going in with your set values you feel you need to protect at any cost against and share with everyone else.

It's probably because Gibbon was very much a Whiggish historian rather than a factual one, and blamed Christianity for the fall of the Roman Empire, due to his convenient belief that the Eastern portion became less Roman by adopting Greek. Something I always found strange as didn't most Roman nobles try to learn and speak Greek even over (High) Latin?

Also, I've had this thread watched for a while but never posted any good will, so good work on this AAR volkmarschal, while I would like to see a few more in-game pictures, I appreciate that this AAR was finished long ago.

In the east, Greek became the official language, and all had to know Greek just for that reason. Some nobles in the West learned Greek too for obvious reasons like communication. High Latin fell out of favor, even with the poets, nobles, and Roman historians by the 2nd century. It's actually quite funny to compare 1-2 cent. BCE Classical Latin with 2-3 cent CE Latin to see all the slang and mixing of words starting to happen that eventually became Late Latin. Ah, now you've got me reminiscing on Latin classes. If you know "late" Latin, you'll do okay with Classical/High. But yes, Classical Latin rapidly fell out of favor even with the nobility who increasingly adopted Greek. Well, I'm happy to always see one of the silent majority always pop in just to say hello! ;)

True, true. Fortunately I know you and your style long enough and consider myself to not be one of these extremely internet-extroverted guys that....you know what I mean. I think that looking at things with a more open, playful mindset makes things much better than going in with your set values you feel you need to protect at any cost against and share with everyone else.

Trying to change people's minds on the internet is a lose-lose-lose-lose-lose scenario. Nothing is worse than seeing repeat arguments made by comedians and those with no professional reputation in a certain field yet talk as if they have a PhD from Harvard on the subject. Oh well... :p

Hence why I got a nice little laugh when I read your comment! :cool:

This put the pressure on Melissinos’ propaganda machine to present the failed invasion as a defensive success. The Mongols were quickly portrayed as the invaders of the Roman Empire, to which they were promptly beaten back. Melissinos invaded the Steppes, defeating the Mongols in a series of battles that led to them begging for a truce. Out of grace and mercy, Melissinos accepted. Thus, Melissinos was not only a savior of the empire, he was a devout saintly Christian man who bestowed mercy upon heathens. It was a win-win for him. A devastating setback for his rivals.

Melissinos also finds a cure for cancer and solves the mystery of what happened to Jimmy Hoffa! :p

I mean, seriously. The propaganda machine makes Melissinos sound like that guy from "The Most Interesting Man in the World" commericals.

Gabras you fool!

Lovely update, the skullduggery continues. Looking forward to more.

I think the skullduggery will continue for more than just a few chapters. With a few twists and turns to boot! :p

Melissinos also finds a cure for cancer and solves the mystery of what happened to Jimmy Hoffa! :p

I mean, seriously. The propaganda machine makes Melissinos sound like that guy from "The Most Interesting Man in the World" commericals.

Propaganda is the name of the game. And Melissinos is a mile or more ahead of his competition.

To All: Sorry for a rather long delay. Unfortunately, due to work and other time constraints, along with other projects I have started (some op-eds and other stuff) have really taken away my spare time. As such, I'm not really sure when I will have the time to devote, properly, to new updates. Most likely after September. Until then, I hope you all take care!

Cheers!

Reactions:
I've only discovered this AAR recently; and it's magnificent! (If that's not too dramatic :D) Congratulations on a truly impressive piece of writing! I hope you can get back to it soon :).

I've been a long time fan of this AAR, a while back it seemed that the AAR was put to rest, but lately it seem that its slowly rumbling back to life, will the story continue??

I wish to apologize for such an extended delay. I'm sure you all can gather why so I won't bore you with mumbo jumbo from my end.

I am happy to report that we have experienced a minor miracle this holiday season! I finally had the time to devote to another chapter after a long, long delay so it appears as if Santa will deliver a present tomorrow or by the 26th at the latest. :D

I want to thank everyone who has been reading, commenting, our newest commentators who were kind enough to chime in during this extended lapse, and to all who will be reading this message and be anticipating a return to form (hopefully). An update, at long last, is forthcoming--as I, your humble author, do intend to keep my promise of discharging the final part of this truly byzantine saga!

Until then, Happy Holidays all!

Reactions:
Now that makes for a good Christmastime gift. Thanks, and have a very merry Christmas!