• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Watch out for any child from the Cersei-Stannis have.

In regards to having the right color hair, I've always been a bit disappointed that the mod isn't able to hard code that Baratheon children always have black hair. Always a bit immersion breaking for me to see a blond-haired Baratheon that, when you check with charinfo, is actually Robert's.

No kidding. I've played a bit into the future, and I actually had to go into my save files and edit one of the Baratheon children. They were born looking COMPLETELY different to any other Baratheon, so I needed to fix that ASAP. :D

it is something really interesting that Baratheon gene... specially when you consider Otis was of Valyrian pure stock... and they have married Targaeryan and Lannister for generations... even so, no Baratheon has a lighter hair color

it is something really interesting that Baratheon gene... specially when you consider Otis was of Valyrian pure stock...
To be fair, Oris Baratheon looks and acts like a Durrandon even before he took over the Stormlands and married Argillac's daughter. I personally think that either Oris is the child of Aegon's father and Argillac's sister or he's the child of Argillac from an unknown woman in the Free Cities and Aegon's dad (or Aegon himself, it's not exactly clear when the two met) just raised him Dragonstone. Either way, I believe that Oris has a blood connection with the Durrandons even before the marriage.

I think something like that would have been mentioned in the World lore book that was released. Plus, if Argillac was the dad and Orys' mom was just some wench, then I'm not entirely sure that Aegon and Orys would've been so close as brothers. Besides, Orys isn't necessarily exactly like we've come to expect of the Durrandon's/Baratheons: he's a good vassal, seemingly (humble and willing to serve), not rash (it was Argillac who charged Orys' forces, not the other way around) and based on his treatment of his wife when she was brought to him, somewhat honorable.

Something like that would have not been in the World lore book. Maester Yandel is an unreliable narrator and he said so himself. He also commented on how Aegon is as much of an enigma to his contemporaries as he is in recent times and Orys, for that matter, is just this mystery guy who is by Aegon's side. Orys did show some chivalry to his wife when he first met her but, as far as I can tell, in the Vulture Hunt, Orys showed some Durrandon-like traits when he cut off both hands and feet of the son of the Widow-lover as "usury" for his chopped hand. I wouldn't call that chivalrous or honorable since the sins of the father shouldn't be attributed to his children (for example, Ned Stark refused to kill Daenerys Targaryen) yet Orys did so anyway, in revenge. I'm not suggesting that Argilac fathered Orys from some random wench. We know he has great connections with the Free Cities since he joined them in their war against Volantis. I'm suggesting that perhaps Argilac, in the past, had a nice tumble with a noble woman who, in turn, is close to the Targaryens, at least to Aegon's father (another man of mystery). I'm also not leaving out the possibility of Aegon's father having an affair with a Durrandon which resulted the birth of a bastard. Another taught just came to me, there is a possibility that Orys's mother may have been Durrandon bastard since the Storm Kings are not exactly known for guarding their seed.

Also look at this guy:
300px-Orys_B.jpg
(This picture is in the World of Ice and Fire so it is considered cannon or, at least, semi-cannon.)

He looked more like a Durrandon than a Valyrian. I also would like to bring up that I believe that Aegon sincerely meant it when he offered Orys's hand instead of his to marry Argella and not as a slight to Argilac (Why would Aegon use his best friend for an insult?). Perhaps he knows of Orys's parentage and felt him more worthy of Argilac's daughter and, since Argilac has no sons, his successor.

Orys Baratheon, my favorite bastard in the World of Ice and Fire.

Also look at this guy:
300px-Orys_B.jpg
(This picture is in the World of Ice and Fire so it is considered cannon or, at least, semi-cannon.)

He looked more like a Durrandon than a Valyrian. I also would like to bring up that I believe that Aegon sincerely meant it when he offered Orys's hand instead of his to marry Argella and not as a slight to Argilac (Why would Aegon use his best friend for an insult?). Perhaps he knows of Orys's parentage and felt him more worthy of Argilac's daughter and, since Argilac has no sons, his successor.

Orys Baratheon, my favorite bastard in the World of Ice and Fire.

I might have to agree with you on One-Hand being my favorite bastard. I mean, when I got the TWOIAF book, it was THAT picture that convinced me to start my Stormbreaker AAR. I mean, c'mon, THAT'S ROBERT! That is exactly how I picture Robert looking, how could I not love the bastard? :p

Does this mean there will be no more Crowned Dragons? I loved that AAR.

Subbed regardless.

Absolutely not. I've been pretty busy and had a burst of desire to write the beginnings of this new one. I have PLENTY more to do in TCD. If you want an idea, I've finished playing the save for TCD, and considering I'm like 30+ parts in already, I'm probably not even half way through it. ;)

Just read through all the chapters and already loving it. Things are certainly looking up for Robert. Can't wait for more from the next installment of the Crowned saga (will there be Crowned Dragons 2: Blackfyre Boogaloo?)

Regarding genetics, it's only established that when Baratheons and Lannisters and similarly blond people mate, the Barth won genes dominate. Logically that couldn't be true of all Baratheon and non-Baratheon pairings, as by 300 years AC all the noble houses would look like them due to intermarriage.

Also Orys being part Durrandon would add an interesting bit of color to Argilac's outraged response. Inbreeding was taboo in Westeros, but practically mandatory for Valyrians. If the proposed marriage were incestuous it would explain the fury of Argilac's response.

CHAPTER III - REMNANTS

500px-Stannis_Great_Wyk.png

Gods, what a sight.

Lyanna Stark was weary from the road, but Ned had freshened her up on their travels. She wore relatively plain clothes, as was her way, choosing a simple white and grey dress, with little in the way of ornate designs. She was a plain woman, but unlike most. Her plainness stemmed from her fierce nature, not from her timidity. The wolf in her was apparent, matched only by her brother Brandon. Ned was the outcast of the litter, tame, patient and calculated. Brandon had been the leader, strong, bold and ferocious. Lyanna was the pup, eager to impress. Wild, headstrong and every bit as fierce as her eldest brother. She was a beauty and a fighter, unlike any other in the Seven Kingdoms, and she was all Robert had ever wanted.

Ned Stark had sent a raven from Dorne, delivering the news to the new king. Lyanna was safe, and they would be back in King's Landing within the fortnight. Robert was overjoyed when the raven reached him. He had gone to war not only to save his head, but to also save hers. Rhaegar Targaryen had stolen the young Stark away from him, and he would not let that go unpunished. Now, Rhaegar was dead and Lyanna was safe. Robert immediately got about planning for her arrival. They would be wed within days of her arrival, it would be simple and only a select few would be permitted to attend. Robert also made a special arrangement, one specifically for his queen-to-be.

Where Lyanna had dressed simply, Robert had donned his finest clothes for his betrothed's arrival. A black velvet doublet, embroidered with a golden stag in the center, surrounded by gold trimmings. Black breeches and sealskin gloves matched the King's shirt, and the ensemble was completed by the King's new crown. A fine wooden piece, the crown was of a wooden design, painted slightly to appear gold. Antlers formed the circlet, with the front of the crown holding in it a large amber jewel. While Robert looked a true warrior in his plate, he too looked a true gentlemen when wearing his finery. In his hand, the King held his gift for his beloved.

In his left hand, Robert held a blue winter rose, Lyanna's favorite flower. Specific to the North, Robert had some of the flowers migrated to the gardens of the Red Keep, in anticipation of Lyanna's arrival. The process had been difficult, but nothing a king couldn't accomplish for his queen. Fresh from the garden, the sharp scent of the flower was still floating in the air around Robert, filling his nostrils. It was sweet. Another reminder of his betrothed and beloved. In his right hand, Robert held her crown. As his was wooden, so too was hers. Where the circlet of Robert's crown had been carved to form antlers, Lyanna's had been shaped into a crown of blue winter roses. There were no jewels or fine details, but as Robert so often reminded himself, Lyanna was the simplest woman a man could ever meet, and the crown would serve her well.

7fb1210af9a8b33c08924f5940634770-400x266.jpg
il_570xN.347048912.jpg

The wedding had gone as well as Robert could have hoped. Only a few were in attendance, Robert's friends, family and most loyal vassals, save for his brother Stannis. There were a handful of lords in the Stormlands that still refused to acknowledge Robert as their king, and so Robert had charged the new Lord of Storm's End with bringing them to heel. Stannis had departed from the capital weeks before, making for Griffin's Roost, to root out Lord Jon Connington. House Connington was the greater of the two threats still facing the crown, and so Stannis took the bulk of his forces to their keep, while he sent a smaller force to encircle the seat of House Hasty, preoccupying them until the Conningtons were dealt with. When Lord Jon was dealt with, Lord Barristan would follow suit, and the Seven Kingdoms would be fully in line, and the remnants of the war would finally wash away.

A number of months later, a raven arrived from the Griffin's Roost. It was brought before the king in his great hall. There, sat upon the Iron Throne, with his wife beside him, Robert read the contents of the parchment. "Your Grace, the siege of Griffin's Roost has been a success. Lord Connington is in my custody, and will be brought to the capital to face judgement as soon as Lord Hasty is likewise in custody. The Stormlands will be united soon enough. Yours humbly, Lord Paramount Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End."

GpIiaUZ.png

Gods, when will he ever stop us by our titles? Robert thought. Stannis was a stubborn and prideful young man. Robert had the bravado, and Stannis had the iron will. Even as brothers, Stannis still saw fit to refer to Robert as 'Your Grace', and himself as 'Lord of Storm's End.' The war had brought the brothers closer together, but there was still a large chasm to cross before they could truly consider each other close. A great difference in personalities as children had seen to a great difference in values as adults, but their bond wasn't lost yet, they were still young. Robert knew he had too often neglected Stannis, but it was never out of malice. Renly was but a babe when their parents met their fates in Shipbreaker Bay, and it was left to Robert to raise him. Seven years had now passed since then, and Renly was a young boy now, but still too young to be left to his own devices. Stannis was far older, and even as a young teen he was mature beyond his years. He did not need raising, not the least by Robert. It was an issue Robert knew was of his own doing, and one that only he could solve.

The news from Griffin's Roost was uplifting. For the most part, the Seven Kingdoms had fallen nicely in line, swiftly putting aside past grievances in sight of a new future, a Baratheon future, one that would be solidified by the heir growing inside Lyanna's womb. Many moons had passed since their wedding night, and it was now clear that Lyanna was bearing a child. She had not bled for some time, and her stomach began to swell to accommodate the unborn stag. Robert knew it would be a boy, his boy, he just knew. Robert had rid the Seven Kingdoms of the tyranny of the Mad King, and the incestuous ways of the Targayens, and the Gods would no doubt reward him with a son, there was no other possibility in the King's mind. A son would be born to him, and one day, the crown would be his. It was the true beginning of the Baratheon dynasty, the beginning of the crowned stags.

yD39MtJ.png

More moons passed, and the end of the year was now fast approaching. Lyanna's stomach grew larger with each passing day, and Robert could not help but notice that so too did her breasts. It was hard for him, this... celibate lifestyle, but it was worth it. As a young lad, Robert was known for his ability to outdrink any man in the Stormlands, and bed any girl. There were times when Robert yearned for such days, but they were but memories to him now, he was a king now, a husband, and would very soon be a father too. His days of drinking and whoring were over. I just pray I never run out of things to hit with my hammer, he thought to himself.

On the eve of the new year, a second raven arrived from the Stormlands, once again bearing the seal of his house. "Your Grace," the letter began, "Lord Hasty has surrendered his keep to my forces, and has been taken into custody. By the time this letter finds you, I will be but days from the capital. I bring with me those who seek to discredit you, and a now-united Stormlands. I pray that I have served you well. Yours humbly, Lord Paramount Stannis Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End."

UUtOb7m.png

Again with the formalities. Some days, the formal demeanor of his brother flustered Robert, and other days, it simply made him laugh. Today was one of the latter days. After all, why should Robert not have been happy? The remnants of those opposing him were now in his brother's custody, and were but days away from the capital, where they would face justice in the sight of Gods and men. Stannis had done Robert a great service, and would receive his thanks upon his return. It had taken nearly eight turns of the moon for Stannis to root out Lords Connington and Hasty, but he had done it, as always. Stannis had never been one to shy away from his duty. Robert called Ser Balon into his chambers.

"Ser Balon," he spoke, as the large knight entered through the door. "Send word to the members of the Small Council. My brother will be here within days, and I wish for the council to convene before he does. Have them report to the chamber within the hour." Ser Balon nodded and departed to complete his task. Robert had let those who fought against him in the war bend the knee as a sign of good will, but Stannis' prisoners had refused his offer. The Small Council will decide what is to be done with them, he thought.

If Robert's happy, Stannis has got to be over the fucking moon. Lord of Storm's End, faithfully serving his King, his brother, his Lord to the best of his abilities and for the sake of the Laws of The Realm. Hell, he isn't even a vicious whore-monger or a wife-beater, like original timeline Robert was, and Jaime's dead, so I have to imagine Cersei isn't treating him too bad.

Although, after Jon Arryn, it'll make picking a Hand of The King for Robert hard. Does he go with his brother by blood, Stannis Baratheon, Stannin's good-father, Tywin Lannister, or his own good-brother, Eddard Stark? Tough choices for Robert ahead.

Tywin Lannister is thr best option for a hand... btw who is Cercei now married to?

Although, after Jon Arryn, it'll make picking a Hand of The King for Robert hard. Does he go with his brother by blood, Stannis Baratheon, Stannin's good-father, Tywin Lannister, or his own good-brother, Eddard Stark? Tough choices for Robert ahead.

Tywin Lannister is thr best option for a hand... btw who is Cercei now married to?

Why the talk of a new Hand? Jon's fine, don't make me sad guys... :(

Cersei's married to Stannis. What a lovely match. :D

Loving this AAR. It's always interesting reading ASoIaF AARs since it's fun to see what happens to the characters we all know and love.

Loving this AAR. It's always interesting reading ASoIaF AARs since it's fun to see what happens to the characters we all know and love.

Thanks. I agree, I love this mod/game because I get to play with the characters I know and like. I sometimes play during the Dance, or during Aegon's Conquest, or any other scenario, but more often than not I start at 282 or later, because it involves characters from the main series, which makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

and so begins the rule of the usurper...

Ahem... What was that? Do I need to bring my hammer over there? Robert will not become the 'usurper' we know, he will take a greater path, one with less whoring and drinking, and more ruling. :)

Robert knew it would be a boy, his boy, he just knew. Robert had rid the Seven Kingdoms of the tyranny of the Mad King, and the incestuous ways of the Targayens, and the Gods would no doubt reward him with a son, there was no other possibility in the King's mind. A son would be born to him, and one day, the crown would be his. It was the true beginning of the Baratheon dynasty, the beginning of the crowned stags.

Is this an extremely unsubtle hint, or a set up for major irony?