• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER XXVIII - THE ROYAL TOUR

We departed from the capital at the turn of the year, travelling with only a single ship, Reclaimant, which was more than enough to carry everyone necessary for the royal tour of the south. Reclaimant had been built during the reign of my father, King Rhaegar, and was named so for his father, Aegon, whom had landed in Westeros many years ago to reclaim our family's throne. The largest ship in the fleet, Reclaimant had four hundred oars, and though not exceptionally fast, it was the strongest ship in the Seven Kingdoms, capable of withstanding numerous smaller vessels. The ship was capable of carrying a large number of men, though our trip did not fill it to capacity. Travelling with only a small household, two of the Kingsguard and fifty guardsmen, the ship was still capable of carrying one hundred or so extra men.

Dragonstone
ki8Aeq1.png

The journey to our first destination- Dragonstone- was a short one. Departing from King's Landing, we arrived at Dragonstone in a day, maybe slightly more. Sailing into port, the menacing stone dragons of my family's ancestral seat loomed high above- watchful guardians over the ancient castle. The island had not been in my family's direct control since the days of the Usurper, but now belonged to House Massey, through marriages and laws of inheritance over the years. Greeted at the port by Lady Massey, I informed her that our stay in her home would not be a long one. "Nonsense, your grace" she said, "it is an honor to host the king. You are welcome on Dragonstone for as long as you please. We are happy to have you."

This was my first time visiting Dragonstone, and frankly, it was not as I thought it would be. The ancestral home of House Targaryen in the Seven Kingdoms, I had expected a place of great warmth and vibrance. Instead, I found an island that was dark and damp. It had a heavy air to it, one that seemed as thought it was capable of making the weak-minded weep. The only source of warmth was one that I had imagined for myself- the stone that loomed over the castle, and lingered in it's walls.

For two weeks I stayed in the halls of my ancestors, and for two weeks I was captivated by the beasts etched into the walls of the castle. Great winged creatures carved into the stone, they made my thoughts wander back to the egg I had received not long ago. Some tales told that the stone dragons of Dragonstone could be brought to life, while others told that dragon eggs were stones that could be brought back to life too. I should hope so, I thought. A dragon could be very useful indeed.

ZQYOWHA.png

Storm's End
Jkn7T2d.png

Following my stay on Dragonstone, we reboarded Reclaimant and made the journey to Storm's End- the seat of the Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, Lester Connington. The Conningtons were made Lords Paramount after my grandfather retook the Iron Throne. Jon Connington had been one of his greatest allies and his Hand, and the family has held the position ever since. Griffin's Roost was a fine keep, but Storm's End was one of the most impressive in the Kingdoms, and when the Baratheons were defeated, Storm's End was gifted to the Conningtons, to serve as their official seat.

Lester Connington greeted us at the docks of the castle, and took us into his keep. The walls of Storm's End were tall- far taller than those of the capital- and the circular keep in the center of the walls was monstrous. It would be near impossible to take such a keep from a decently-sized garrison, and the histories have proven that true. The castle was certainly of a different ilk than Dragonstone. It was far more welcoming, though the winds battering against the high walls created an eerie aura around the keep. Outside, storms and winds raged around, while inside, everything was largely secure. It was a strange feeling.

Lester Connington was not like his father, and was not a particularly welcoming man. He was older than I was, and as such, there was little in common to talk about, but I attempted to converse with the man anyway. Lord Lester ensured me that the Conningtons were still loyal servants of the Iron Throne, and that the Stormlands would always be at the service of the king. It was welcome to hear such a thing, though I hoped that with the business of my uncle behind us, such services would not be required any time soon. After a few weeks in Storm's End, I thanked Lord Lester for his hospitality, before departing for the next destination of the tour.

Sunspear
XqStgnT.png

From the damp of Dragonstone to the winds of Storm's End, we next traveled to a far more accepting climate- the sands of Sunspear. Entering through the Threefold Gate, our party rode up the streets of the city, with a crowd gathered to bear witness to the king. Arriving at the Old Palace, we were greeted and taken up to the Tower of the Sun, where upon entering the halls we were greeted by members of House Martell.

House Martell had been restored to power under the reign of my father, having been supplanted by House Vaith. For that, they were eternally grateful to me and my family, creating an even stronger bond between our two houses. For many, many years, House Martell has been the greatest supporter of House Targaryen in the Seven Kingdoms, so much so that they joined in my grandfather's war almost as soon as he landed on the shores of Westeros. After all, the members of House Martell and House Targaryen are now distant cousins, through the marriage between my great-grandfather Rhaegar and Princess Elia.

Trystane Martell, the head of House Martell, was not present in Sunspear, for obvious reason. After the death of Willas Tyrell, Trystane Martell was named the new Hand of the King, and as such, his duties lied in the capital. Instead, it was his family that welcomed and hosted me. For weeks we dined, celebrated and enjoyed each other's company. It was by far the most enjoyable stop on the tour so far, and I wondered if it would be at all possible for such lofty heights to be reached in Oldtown and Highgarden. Only time would tell, and with that, we departed once more.

Oldtown
kutd6DG.png

Oldtown was a city of magnificence. Once the largest city in the Seven Kingdoms- and by far the oldest- Oldtown was the jewel of Westeros for centuries. It is said that my ancestor, Aegon I, was expected to make Oldtown his capital, before he instead chose to establish King's Landing. I wouldn't have blamed him. A grand city, full of packed streets, vibrant markets and hundreds of thousands of people, it was truly a marvel to behold, even for a king.

My stay in Oldtown was more brief than those in Sunspear and Storm's End, for though the city had plenty to see and experience, there was little in terms of diplomacy to keep me in the city. I visited with House Hightower for a while, but in truth, the Hightowers were not the Lords Paramound of the Reach. It was the Tyrells that truly required my attention, and so I would be travelling to Highgarden before long.

Before departing from Oldtown however, I made sure to pay a visit to the Citadel. I spoke with various Archmaesters and Maesters present in the Citadel, and even some of the novices training to become Maesters in their own right. I also paid a visit to the grand library of the Citadel. It had to be the largest library in the Seven Kingdoms, even larger than the one in the Red Keep- full of thousands of books. One book in particular caught my eye. 'Blood and Fire', it was called. *This could be useful*, I thought, and with the permission of the Archmaesters in attendance, I took the book with me on my journeys, as something to read while travelling.

KX8cEnD.png

Highgarden
I9CSzUV.png

After my stay in Oldtown was complete, the penultimate destination on the royal tour was up next- Highgarden. Instead of re-boarding Reclaimant, my ship was sailed back to King's Landing, and the journey to Highgarden continued along on horseback. Following the Roseroad, we arrived at Highgarden ten days after departing the old city. While Sunspear had been a pleasant stay, and was beautiful in it's own right, it was hard to imagine a place more beautiful in all the Seven Kingdoms than Highgarden.

Trees and bushes and plants and other decorations adorned almost every space in the keep that wasn't a street or a building. There wasn't a spot of squalor anywhere to be seen, and the birds sung happily in the midday sun. King's Landing was a nice-enough place, particularly in the Red Keep, but it still had it's downfalls. Why couldn't Aegon have chosen this place as his seat? I began to think.

In the great hall of Highgarden, I was greeted by the court of House Tyrell, and the Lady of the house herself- a girl of three. She knelt before me, and stumbled her way through the few words he could even say properly. I could make out that she was attempting to apologize for the actions of her father, Lord Steffon, and that this was her attempt to swear fealty. "My Lady", I said to her, helping the child to her feet. "You are but a child, you do not have to kneel before me, nor do you have to apologize for the actions of your father. Are you your father, my lady?" She shook her head. "Then I will not treat you as such. House Tyrell and House Targaryen shall be friends one more. You and I shall be friends, my lady."

Summerhall
yog4Qjy.png

After my stay in Highgarden, I next made the short journey to Summerhall, the ancestral summer house of my family. Over four moons had passed since I departed from the capital, and I now find myself in a place where I could relax. The days were long and warm, and Summerhall was the perfect place to spend them, at least for a while. Destroyed in the days of Aegon V, my grandfather and father had overseen the reconstruction of the palace, in an attempt to return it to glory. It took many long years, but at last it was complete, and it was a marvel to behold.

The days turned to weeks, and still I lied dormant in the halls of the palace, for a time, forgetting of the troubles of being king. It had been many years since I was able to relax properly, something I had not truly done since I was a child. My father passed when I was still a boy, and as such, I had been thrust into the position of power when I was of an age where the only power I should have had was over my own two feet. It was nice to finally forget about all that for a while. A well deserved rest, I thought.

On one particular evening, as I soaked in the sun on one of the many terraces of the palace, my mind began to wander towards the past. Almost one hundred years ago, Summerhall went up in a blaze, and to this day there are still so many questions left unanswered about how it all happened. Some stories say that my ancestor, Aegon V, was attempting to hatch dragon eggs of his own. Is it really that dangerous to bring dragons into this world? I thought. With a dragon egg of my own, it was only natural that such thoughts came to mind from time to time. If there was ever to be a day when I was to hatch the egg, I had to know what I was doing. I can't have another tragedy occurring. No. I'll do it right.

Wy11tOa.png

Hey guys, again, sorry for the long delay between posts, I've had other things to deal with. Also, this post is a bit different, as you can probably tell. I didn't quite know how to handle visiting places to gather dragonlore, and figured this might work out well, and that this format would suffice. I hope it was/is fine. :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
it is good to see the King travelling and not always plotting or fighting rebels

*Mutters something mildly treasonous about how this wouldn't be necessary if the King was smart enough to tame his Uncle's dragons*

Reactions:
Just read through all of this AAR today. Amazing story you've got so far, can't wait to see where it goes.

it is good to see the King travelling and not always plotting or fighting rebels

A nice break from the norm. :D

*Mutters something mildly treasonous about how this wouldn't be necessary if the King was smart enough to tame his Uncle's dragons*

Hey, at least you're muttering. You're learning!

Just read through all of this AAR today. Amazing story you've got so far, can't wait to see where it goes.

Why thank you, that's very kind. :)

CHAPTER XXIX - THE LAST FLIGHT OF THE FALCON

I made my return to the capital from Summerhall close to the end of the year, and was greeted by a few faces I had not expected. Waiting for me in the capital was my brother Maelor, the Lord Paramount of the Westerlands, and a delegation from Highgarden. Apparently throughout my visit to the seat of House Tyrell, they had kept from me their grievances with my brother, over the Tyrell's supposed claim to the Westerlands. Lady Delena was too young to care for such matters herself, so these grievances were no doubt a ploy of her advisers, seeking to empower themselves while they had the opportunity.

Maelor and a number of the delegates bickered in the great hall, until I had heard enough. "There must be an end to this feud, or the realm will surely suffer for it." I said. Right there, on the spot, I arranged three marriages, one of which would hopefully solve this quarrel permanently. My brother Maelor was to wed our sister Rhaenys; my second brother Maelys was to wed my youngest sister Vaera; and my fourth brother Aegon would be wed to Lady Delena herself, in hopes that an alliance-through-marriage would satiate the lords of the Reach. The matter was agreed upon, and the betrothals were made.

b5XEy7C.png

With the business with my brother and the Reachmen settled, I began to slip back into my rather menial tasks as kings. Sitting upon the throne for hours on end, listening to the ailments of the people could grow tiresome. Yet, I had a duty to my people, and to the realm, and so I sat and listened, as any good king should. On one day, a man from Summerhall came into the great hall, requesting a moment of my time. He brought word from Summerhall of one of my latest ventures- the sept I had ordered constructed there. He claimed that all was well with the planning and that construction was beginning within the fortnight, and was expected to be completed within a year. Excellent, I thought.

Pmi8z7h.png

The menial tasks of being a king made me itch for some excitement. The royal tour had served as a means to an end, and drowning myself in books of dragonlore was simply not enough to satiate my need for something to do. Tourneys could be had, but they were expensive and could not be held often or else the coffers would suffer. Feasts existed in a similar vein, minus the combat. In truth, most of the excitement I now got was the time I spent training in the yard, or simply staring at and examining the egg in my possession. "I will find a way", I said to myself, staring at the hardened shell. "One day, you will be free."

It seemed ironic then, when news arrived from the Eyrie, that I had been seeking out more excitement in my day-to-day life. Lord Kyle Arryn, forever a thorn in my side, had decided to rise up and declare independence from the crown, yet again. My father had died fighting against this rebellious man, and I would not suffer a similar fate. This time would be the last time Kyle Arryn would be allowed to spit in the faces of the dragons. However, he was not rising up alone. His demands declared that Lester Connington had decided to rise up with him, and together the two of them would win their freedom. How foolish. I mustered the forces of the Crownlands, to march on Storm's End; while I sent word to Winterfell to gather an army there and march on the Vale.

dErJfE3.png

Marching south with eighteen thousand men, I met the forces of Lester Connington- some nine thousand men- near Amberly. Outnumbering them significantly, the battle was won quickly, and the Stormlander host routed. Three thousand of them escaped the battle, and planned on regrouping at Greensward. We pursued them there, and scored another crushing victory. The majority of the three thousand rebels were slain or injured, while the remaining few ran, returning to their homes. However, there was one Stormlander who was not fortunate enough to escape our grasp- Lester Connington himself.

StfUYxH.png

With Lord Lester in chains, our forces began marching towards Bronzegate, where a second Stormlander army was gathering, no doubt intending on rescuing their liege lord. To the north, Lord Beron Stark had marched near twenty thousand Northerners into the mountains of the Vale, and gave chase to the armies of Lord Kyle. Engaging a Valeman army at Heart's Home, a combined Stark and Tyrell army of thirty thousand men was surprisingly beaten back by the twenty thousand Valemen present. In the midst of the fighting, Lord Beron was slain, with some claiming it was Joryn Corbray who did the deed personally.

With their defeat at Heart's Home, the remaining Stark and Tyrell men pushed to the north-west, closer to friendly territory, while Kyle Arryn gave chase. After weeks of travel, word reached us that our allies were nearly at the border of the Riverlands, where they would likely be able to regroup, while the Arryn forces were only a few days ride behind. However, a raven arrived from the Starks, claiming that Kyle Arryn had died of a sickness in the mountains, and this news was confirmed when it was learned that his brother Odron- the new Lord of the Vale- was now heading up his brother's armies.

Hmzy2k9.png

With the Valemen surely in disarray due to the loss of their leader, I pushed our advantage against the forces of the Stormlands, and the army that had been gathering near Bronzegate. An army of fourteen thousand men, led by Lord Fell, faced off against my army of eighteen thousand, near Apt. The battle was a decisive victory for our forces, with half of the Stormlander army being destroyed. The remaining Stormlanders threw down their arms and dipped their banners, surrendering to me. With the defeat of the Conningtons, only the Arryn's remained, and alone they surely could not stand for long.

Knowing Lord Odron's situation, I sent a raven to him, offering him peace. He would be allowed to retain his lands and titles, if he but surrendered to the crown and knelt before me. After all, he was not his brother, and to depose the Arryn's entirely might be a foolish idea. Within a fortnight, a raven returned, carrying the news of Lord Odron's acceptance. After four months of war, the rebels were defeated, and Lord Odron rode to the capital to swear me fealty. Before Gods and Men, Odron Arryn and Lester Connington were allowed to swear me fealty, and were both allowed to retain their positions. The crushing of their armies and the humility of their defeat was punishment enough for them.

5kYRWko.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why not make the bad men fly? The Eyrie would make a good home for your extra brother. That place was practically designed for Dragons. (Not that you have any).

This AAR is really, really good, I hope you'll manage to hatch this damn egg, it almost always end up being a bad idea in my experience...

Thank you. :) I hope so too, there's no point in having the egg if I can't get a dragon out of it. Here's hoping I don't die in an inferno. :p

Why not make the bad men fly? The Eyrie would make a good home for your extra brother. That place was practically designed for Dragons. (Not that you have any).

If every man was punished for the actions of his brother, there'd be very few men left. Odron accepted peace almost as soon as his brother died. The Valemen are quite loyal to the Arryns at this point, I won't remove them unless I absolutely have to.

I feel like we had this conversation before. Maybe about a certain family of blondes who were always yowling about paying their debts. They were always causing trouble. What was their name again? Oh well, doesn't matter.

Reactions:
hmmm, so Tyrell name will disappear? the marriage was not matrilineal... Little by little the Targaryens are winning more power... and more pretender with their own forces

If he keeps diligently in breeding, he should be able to keep the number of claimants manageable. The Family focus is good in these situations, since it leads to lots of relation strengthening events between family members. Cadet dynasties would be another option. We could have Rosedragons in the Reach, Goldragons in the West, possible in the future Sundragons in Dorne, Stormdragons in Storms End, Icedragons in the North, Riverdragons in the Riverlands, and Mountdragons in the Vale.

I feel like we had this conversation before. Maybe about a certain family of blondes who were always yowling about paying their debts. They were always causing trouble. What was their name again? Oh well, doesn't matter.

I'm not quite sure whom you're speaking of. ;)

hmmm, so Tyrell name will disappear? the marriage was not matrilineal... Little by little the Targaryens are winning more power... and more pretender with their own forces

If he keeps diligently in breeding, he should be able to keep the number of claimants manageable. The Family focus is good in these situations, since it leads to lots of relation strengthening events between family members. Cadet dynasties would be another option. We could have Rosedragons in the Reach, Goldragons in the West, possible in the future Sundragons in Dorne, Stormdragons in Storms End, Icedragons in the North, Riverdragons in the Riverlands, and Mountdragons in the Vale.

I'm hoping that things wont get out of hand with other branches of the family, as they did with Maelor. To be fair, he was a raving lunatic, so I don't think others will be as big a problem. Having each kingdom ruled by a branch of the Targaryens would be pretty cool, though.

CHAPTER XXX - A NAMEDAY TO REMEMBER

It had been nearly two years since the Arryn armies were defeated in battle and Lord Ordron succeeded his brother as Lord Paramount of the Vale and Warden of the East. The realm had seen almost complete peace since the defeat of the Arryns, save for a few minor quarrels between lower lords, and everyone prospered from the peace. Men returned to their homes and their lands, the fields became bountiful once more and the atrocities of war were beginning to wash away from the land.

A year after the war had ended, two things came to completion, that coincided with each other nicely. My brother Aerion, only nineteen at the time, completed his training and was ordained as a devout member of the Faith, and was named Septon in the light of the Seven. Simultaneously, the Septry of Ravenglass- under construction near Summerhall- was completed, and as such, I- along with the High Septon- granted it to my brother. Before long, Aerion departed for Summerhall, to take up his new position as a member of the Faith.

Aerion's ascent in the Faith was remarkable, to say the least. His work in Ravenglass inspired many devout followers of the Seven in the surrounding towns and villages, and his deeds did not go unnoticed. By the end of his first year as a Septon, my brother Aerion was named a member of the Council of the Most Devout, the second highest honor within the Faith. At only twenty years of age, my brother was already one of the most revered and influential members of the Faith- a fact that could prove particularly useful in the coming years, in ensuring the Faith remains in line with the royal family.

GEZAafU.png

In the early days of the year 349, my twenty-fifth nameday was fast approaching, and preparations were already being made for the celebration. Foods and wines were being brought into King's Landing from all across the Seven Kingdoms, and Lords and Ladies alike were invited to attend the celebrations. To be held in the gardens of the Red Keep, I commissioned a great centerpiece to be constructed- an enormous, ornate design of woods, plants and flowers- to be placed in the center of the courtyard during the festivities, for all attendees to witness. At the top of the piece would sit my dragon egg, to serve as the pinnacle of beauty in an already beautiful masterpiece.

Before my nameday could come to pass however, another nameday was experienced, in a way. On the twentieth day of the second moon, Roelle gave birth to a boy. Born with the silver hair and purple eyes of his father, the boy suffered from an opening in his upper lip, extending almost up to his nose. The disfigurement was obvious to all who saw the child, but luckily the Maesters said that with some simple stitching, the problem could be resolved, and only a slight scar would remain. After the issue of his harelip was resolved, the name Daemon was decided upon.

k6bzi87.png

A month after Daemon's birth, on the sixteenth day of the third moon, my twenty-fifth nameday arrived. Hundreds of men and women were in attendance, and almost the entirety of the castle's gardens were filled with tables, servers, lords and entertainers. The colors of our house were draped everywhere, and food was never more than an arm's length away from any single guest in attendance. At the center of it all sat my centerpiece- the giant structure was visible from almost everywhere, and at it's top sat the dragon egg I had purchased years earlier. In the sunlight, the egg shimmered magnificently, appearing as if it was sold gold. It was a sight to behold.

For hours, guests laughed and celebrated, toasts were made to my health and gifts were laid at my feet. My wife Roelle sat beside me, mostly fixated on ensuring Daemon was properly attended to. Dancers contorted their bodies in wonderful ways and minstrels performed their songs for the onlooking crowds. As the sun began to set, the dancers and minstrels were replaced with performers of other varieties- namely fire breathers. Men and women danced into the courtyards, whirling through the air, holding torches that every so often shot fire into the air as they blew their breath onto them. Everything was going fantastically, but there was still one thing left for me to do.

As the day died down, I stood up and silenced the crowd. The fire breathers stopped their act and stood in place. After a short toast, thanking my friends, family and loyal vassals, I moved from behind my table to the middle of the courtyard- where the performances were taking place and my center piece was laying in wait. Without saying a word, I approached one of the performers to hand over his torch, and he did so. Looking up to my egg atop the centerpiece, I smiled and thought to myself. It's time.

cC3p7BJ.png

I threw the torch into the ornate structure, and within seconds, it was ablaze. Many of the onlookers gestured in bewilderment, some in shock. Some of the women began panicking, but upon seeing my calm demeanor, most returned to their seats, and simply watched the inferno. I returned to my place at the table, and watched as the fire spread higher and higher up the structure. The light of the day was long since dimmed, and now the egg was simply sparkling in the light of the flames beneath it. After maybe twenty minutes of burning, the bottom of the structure eventually collapsed, and the rest of it, including the egg, fell deeper into the flames.

After many hours, the flames were nearly all dead, and smoldering embers remained, amidst a plethora of charred woods. I watched the embers for a while, before noticing some rustling coming from beneath a pile of embers and ash. I examined the spot more closely, and the rustling continued. After a few more moments, something emerged. Green and gold in color and covered in scales, a minuscule dragon emerged from the remains of the inferno. I knelt down and the small beast clawed its way through the embers before reaching me and climbing my arm. It was warm to the touch, and nuzzled itself under my arm. Aerax, I'll call you.

DW8NWDL.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Blood of my blood! Only now has house Targaryean truly been restored.

I worry for little Aerax though. Iirc, the Dragon pit lowers life expectancy for baby dragons, while holding Dragonstone, with it's volcano, raises it. Keep the Maesters away from the adorable little creature, and cross your fingers.

pity you can send him to Dragonstone to help him growing strong

Indeed. A free range lifestyle, nesting in a volcano, and eating an organic, antibodic free diet of goats, pigs, and peasants is the best way to assure a dragon grows up healthy and we'll adjusted.

Great update, but I'm not sure if this new dragon is a very good or a very, very bad thing :D

Pssht... As if a dragon could ever be a bad thing. :)

Blood of my blood! Only now has house Targaryean truly been restored.

I worry for little Aerax though. Iirc, the Dragon pit lowers life expectancy for baby dragons, while holding Dragonstone, with it's volcano, raises it. Keep the Maesters away from the adorable little creature, and cross your fingers.

pity you can send him to Dragonstone to help him growing strong

Indeed. A free range lifestyle, nesting in a volcano, and eating an organic, antibodic free diet of goats, pigs, and peasants is the best way to assure a dragon grows up healthy and we'll adjusted.

Y'know, I never actually paid much attention to the dragon-raising mechanics of the game. I always understood the usefulness of the pits in capturing untamed dragons, but I never focused on the negative or positive effects for raising them. So, perhaps Aerax does suffer from it, I never really noticed.

However, I will say this: I've played many years past this point, and Aerax doesn't remain a little baby forever. ;)