• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wave-man

Corporal
30 Badges
Feb 23, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
Greetings AARland! This is going to be an AAR about a minor Angle lord around the year 500, some 50 years after the Romans left Britain.

The Burning Isles will be the successor to an AAR I wrote for M2TW called The Tin Isles, based on a mod for post-Roman Britain. I grew up with Rome and Medieval II Total War, and only recently started playing CKII, but I love the complexity, politics, and personal storylines that can develop

The Tin Isles was written about a Romano-British Kingdom in northern Britain, after the Romans left (450-460 AD). Using the Winter King mod for Crusader Kings 2 and the character creator I've added in the main character from The Tin Isles (he's dead at this point) and his family. Not a perfect match, but close enough I'd say. This post will contain important info as I think of it; the next will have the beginning of the introduction.

This AAR is also posted on twcenter, I was just waiting to get some momenttum before posting it here.

After I finish the prologue, which will be told primarily through the journal entries of the main character's grandmother to provide the background of the main story, the AAR is going to be told in a narrative fashion. I'll be looking for any criticism on the writing people feel like giving out, so please feel free to drop a comment, suggestion, complaint, or what have you!
The journals will run from 487 until 515 when the narrative of my main character will start

Requests for additoinal info will be handled to the best of my ability (and depending on how time and spoilers allow!), and once the narrative portion begins I will add a table of contents

Additional info:

Mods: The Winter King (duh): sets the game in post Roman Britain, Gaul, Denmark and Nordic Peninsula
- Blind and Castrate for All: I like my Dark Ages to be Dark
- Declare Friends and Rivals: for RP purposes
- Bloodlines: marks descendants of famous (prestigious) people
- Playing on v 2.6.2 with pretty much all DLC

Personal rules: I won't savescum, which is why the tale is told from the point of view of a spirit in Valhalla - if my character loses something or dies, that's it! Depending on what he accomplishes I may or may not continue on as his successor

There will be some minor cheating - almost never to benefit my character, but to benefit the story and realistic scenarios that could develop

Pics: Screenshots will come from a variety of sources, some from CKII, some from Total War Attila, some from Mount and Blade Warband (Brytenwalda mod), and will be used as a supplement to the story

Updates were initially sporadic as I was graduating, then on vacation and visiting family, then starting a new job, but things are settling down now so I should be posting more regularly (as of July 17th) aiming for a rate of 1-2 updates per week

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction, The Shade

After a full day of fighting, the sun seemed no closer to setting than it had at the onset. A great horn was blown, and the two groups of warriors backed away from each other, cheering themselves and boasting of their deeds once they were a safe distance away. They strutted about the swirling mists, and mocked their foes. Then, as the mist thickened, the fallen rose from their scattered positions about the field to congratulate their vanquishers. Yet still the mist thickened, and this eventually silenced the revelers, and all eyes turned to watch where the fog grew the thickest. Weapons and severed limbs and heads were clutched tightly in anticipation, and far in the distance the death-cries of a wyrm could be heard.

From that darkening of the mist a shape began to coalesce. An amorphous blob at first, it soon elongated, gathering its nebulous suroundings into itself even as four tendrils began to extend outward from it. A short time – or an eternity? – later, those tendrils had thickened into the appendages of a man, and a head had formed as well.

Now black as night, the cloud-shade unfolded itself from the mist and took a tentative step, the blades of grass passing unperturbed through its foot. At the next step beads of dew were left on the grass; at the next after that they were flattened.

The Shade looked up and as its head swayed across the crowd of warriors watching it, the swirling patterns across its face began to settle into distinguishable facial features: dark eyebrows, high cheekbones and a strong chin. It raised a hand before its face, slowly moving its fingers before looking up to stare at the crowd before it.

At long last, a great burly warrior strode forward, arms outspread. “Welcome to Valhalla brother,” he thundered. “Come, tell us your story!”

The being cocked its head, then began to speak. Slowly and softly at first, its voice like an autumn breeze, it began its story, and as it spoke its voice slowly grew in richness and warmth.

"The Romans, when they came to these isles of Britain, did them no great favors. They came, they plundered, they ruled, they left, and when they left they took with them the cream of the Britisc youth. And so denuded of her defenses Britannia came under attack from the Pictavi to the north, the Germanii from the east, the Gaels from the west, and even the Franks from the south.

The Romans, when their own people could not or would not fight to defend themselves, sought to hire others to do so for them. Thus the first of my people were brought over to the litus Saxonicum, to defend the Romans in return for land. When the Romans wholly abandoned the Britons, their King Vortigern sent for more Angles and Seaxe to defend his borders and even his own person, for he was an unpopular ruler. My people fought along the length and breadth of the land at his behest, and what were they given in return? Starvation on some miserable islets.

A man who pays others to fight his battles should take care not to provoke them, lest he find himself facing their spears, not behind them. Genseric, Alaric, the dreaded Attila – all were foederati that rose up against the maltreatment they received from their Roman overlords. For us it was Hengist and Horsa and Aesc who overthrew the tyrant Vortigern and seized the eastern portion of the island. They did this with such ease that many of their kin left their homelands to claim the fertile lands of Britain.

obixHLa.jpg

While the South was fractured and largely occupied with fighting itself, the North of Britain briefly retained a measure of stability. Under Coel Hen it survived as a single entity, but not for long, and this is where a part of my backstory comes in. Coel Hen’s son Ceneu had four sons: Dunawt, bastard-born; Mor, his heir; and Gwrast and Caswallon. My grandmother Aeronwen a Y Strafi was Dunawt’s youngest daughter, and it is only due to her meddling with my upbringing that I learned to read; I suspect she was bored. Whatever her reasons, it enabled me to read two important pieces of writing: her journal, kept after her departure from the Romano-British lands of the north for Ænglaland, and that of Brother Mabon, a monk who accompanied my great grandfather and recorded his exploits*.

Mabon’s work can be summarized in three parts: in the first, Mor and Dunawt seek to avenge the deaths of their father and cousin Gwrast (not their brother Gwrast), and then seek to rebuild the power of the northern British. In this they are successful, but Mor becomes jealous of Dunawt’s success, for Dunawt led an army that hovered between two and three thousands to victory against the northern tribes in a series of battles in which he was nearly always outnumbered, sometimes facing armies that could muster more than twice his strength of numbers. In the second part, Mor and Dunawt seek to expand southward, which they do, but Mor and one of his closest supporters, Magnus Archill, murder Dunawt. In the third and final part, Dunawt’s eldest son and his supporters rebel against King Mor. Mor and the son both died during the war, and the North fractures into many kingdoms once again.

These events seem to have driven Father Mabon a little mad, but he retained the presence of mind to smuggle Aeronwen and Mor the Younger, Dunawt’s youngest daughter and son, to Rheged, then ruled by their uncle Gwrast, although they took refuge at the court of a lesser chief. Aeronwen was eventually wed to my grandfather, and I shall recount her more important journal entries here, to spare you the inanities of a teenage girl and to focus on the struggles between the Angles and Seax against the Romans, and between themselves. Then, with my world fleshed out to you, I will be able to begin my story..."

NGPTqaj.jpg

And here is a map of the times, around the year 505. The journal entries start in 489. The purples, reds, and red-oranges in the east of Britain represent the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, with the Britons to the north and west.

pf4FC7r.png

Last edited:
15 August, 489

The ride was a long one. Appropriate, being as I departed early – not to meet my new husband, of course, but so I could savor the sights of the North for but a little longer, and as remaining at Din Alauna was too painful to bear.

For I have ridden to the turbulent, burning South, away from my people, my friends, and the last of my family. Among my new… family, I am Aeronwen Dunawting, not Aeronwen a Y Straffi, for such is their custom in naming houses. I confess when my friend Morgause presented me with this journal, this blank book, I was confused. Why would she – and by extension Ceryth and her husband Oreth ap Owain, who no doubt provided her with the funds – give me this? Yet now I am grateful, for these pages contain the only other Briton with whom I can converse.

My eldest brother Brochfael – I leave his earthly remains where they are buried in the hills he fought so passionately for. I was but ten when he fell in battle five years ago, yet still I miss his bright demeanor, his confident smile… even the way a shadow would pass over his face whenever our cousins in Ebrauc were mentioned, or the snakes in Bryneich, and how he would jest to turn attentions to other matters while a faraway look gleamed in his eyes…. But alas, no more.

My elder sister I knew not, for she was already married to a noble when I was forced to flee from the swords of Einion ap Mor Coeling, Rex Ebrauc, and his lackey Magnus Archill, murderer of my father.

My surviving brother Mor remains in Alauna with our friend Oreth, son of Owain Strongboar, for where else but in Rheged will he find the spears to press his claim on Ebrauc-Bryneich? Not in Ystrad Clut, for they chafed at the rule of Ebrauc; not in Lleudianawn, for though they are steadfast friends of our family they are not strong enough; not in Pictavia, splintered after the death of my grandfather the High-King Drest.

And so I was sent south to meet my husband-to-be who, with tears streaming down his face, told me two things: “Here in the land of the
Ænglefolc we do not weep for the departed. And you should know, here in my land of the Ængles, in Gyrwas, we do tolerate Seaxneating.”

I suppose I should be grateful that my upbringing provided me with the education to speak their gruff tongue, but I must learn what "Seaxneating" is, and why my betrothed weeps.

Someday, perhaps, I can turn my husband’s people’s lust for land and blood northward, and so have vengeance on the dreadful betrayers of my father
, should Mor be unable to.

But as for now I am adrift, lost in this world, greeted by a groom with tears running down his face.

So here's the first of the journal entries; they will cover several decades' worth of events in order to provide the necessary political background for the story that Aeronwen's grandson will tell.

Thanks for the interest, I'll have more up soon

Last edited:
A woman who knows her mind, and can bear a grudge.

22 November 489

My Lord Husband Osric has been successful in sending the raiders off, glory to him. Now he’s tailing them to the north.

In any case Elffled has told me what, or rather who, a Seaxneating is. Apparently I’ve married into a blood feud that stretches back some fifty years – well, I’m no stranger to such things. Evidently Rædwald, Osric’s grandfather, and Seaxneat, came over at the call of Hengist and Horsa, fighting under King
Ælle Ironshield and his father Wuffa the Drunkard. Seaxneat was awarded lands around Londinium, infuriating Rædwald; when Aelle gave him lands in the north to assuage his temper, it enraged Seaxneat, who claimed his rival’s lands were larger and richer despite not being so close to a powerful enemy. Had to roll my eyes at that: Gyrwas – the lands of Rædwald and his descendants – was close to Ebrauc at the height of its power. But Ebrauc has since fallen, and the Seaxneatings still must contend with Dummonia, and both must keep a wary eye on mighty Powys…

I must confess, I find myself disinterested in such politics. Perhaps it is because the peasant Britons care not who takes their taxes, perhaps it is because no southern kingdom came to the aid of the house of Y Straffi.

22 December 487

Osric has returned, flushed with victory in the north.

In other news, they say Hlodowig of the Salien Franks has marched into Soissons with 11,000 men to face Syagrius who can field a mere 7,000, a far cry from the 15,000 and 12,000 in the last battle those two fought some years ago. It seems the strain has been too much for Soissones.

Nominally, the two have been at peace for years, but Hlodowig has been sending raiders into the Roman lands for years. Osric shrugs about that, saying “It’s what I would do. Soften up the border provinces before I marched on them in truth…”

He looks north when he says this. Always north.

But there is some hope – in a drunken stupor last night my dashing husband explained to me the ways of war. “It’s not just men and spears and horses, or food – food is important. And ale. Ale is important. And Saegruss – his people seem unable to say Syagrius’ proper name – defeated Hlodowig before, yes?” I nod. “Valour. Valor and knowing who has your back, your left, your right. I’d be a fool to march on Aenglia or Powys, yes?”

“You are a fool,” I mutter, but he waves the comment away like a mildly annoying gnat.

“I’d be a fool. They have more men, more spears. Now, now say we – I was to fight two men. On my own. Am I a fool?” He burps and shrugs. “Probably not; I can take two of most any sort of men. Not right now, maybe,” he said, closing his eyes, his world no doubt spinning. “So – valor. But say I’m fighting, only with Gedric the stableboy by my side, and there’s hm, four? Five? Call it four enemies. No, Gedric the stableboy and Anselm, that skinny runt you saw in the practice yard today – he’ll be a fierce one, one day. So there’s three of us, of varying qual-

“ qual-

“quality, and we’re fighting five other men. I know that I’m good for twice my number, maybe more, and then once they’ve been taken care of I can help my allies.” Another burp. Beast. “So we go to fight them,” he waved vaguely ahead, ”only I hear footsteps behind, and its Gedric running off, the little pissant. Well now there’s two of us to their five and we’re up to our necks in it and soon to be dead. But Anselm stayed with me, see? Anselm has seen me fight, Anselm chased down those raiders with me, burned Hyrnaceastre. So if Gedric…” he trailed off, flopping on the bed and staring expectantly at me. Upside down.

I humored him. “If Gedric had been with you, and seen your ability to fight and lead…”

“Yes! Yes!” he crowed. “If Gedric had been there he would have the confidence to follow me and we’d have smashed those Aenglefolc bastards!” He was angry at his imaginary foes.

Then he calmed down. “That’s why I have to fight so much now.” I nodded, understanding. “I have to display my courage so the men will follow me, stand with me, when it is time to do so.”

“My father is the shield to the axe that is life, but even the strongest shield eventually is no more…” and with that he lost his tenuous grip on consciousness.

Keep fighting husband, make your name, and let me while away my days with Elffled.

And in other news, no sooner have I learned of the feud I've married into l than it is over! Men! Fifty years of feuding, and then a few scuffles together in the mud against the Aengles of Lindseige to the north and suddenly Osric has a new Seaxneating friend, Freawulf. Gah

Not to detract from Freawulf: he’s a jovial fellow, and much more mild than many of his countrymen. Perhaps he will have a calming effect on my husband…

June, 489

So much has happened over the span of the last six months. I will admit to feeling sometwhat detatched to the world, for as the new year breathed its first, so did the Empire of the Romans breathe its last. Franks are ravaging what was once the domain of Soissones, and Benoic has since fallen as well. It seems that no Romano-Gallic, no Romano-Breton kingdom will be safe, and so we wonder – will Hlodowig Rex Gallia turn his eyes north, across the Channel? Would that be so bad?

The Ænglisc are roaming around their southeast corner of Britannia, raiding their neighbors to the west and the north, and is this the kind of world in which a child should be raised? The Frankish advance was swift and murderous, but the fires of conquest have since cooled to embers – or so it would seem. And yet here, though these first of these foreign conquerors have been here for have been here around half a century, chaos is the only true ruler of the land.

Whatever may be the case, I shall soon bring new life into this world. My child – and I pray daily for a son who can control his own fate – will be born in only a few weeks. His fool of a father is off in the north, trying to please me with another man’s death. A year ago hearing of the death of Ceidio Archill, son of the “Magnus” Eugein Archill who was the architect of my father’s demise would have earned him my unwavering favor. News of his cold lifeless hands that groped for me even as we made our frantic plans to flee from our home in Bryneich would have eased my shuddering in the night.

But what if the father doesn’t return? Shall I be sent out alone into the world once more? Would I stay in this land of foreigners?

Aeronwen is certainly strong-willed!

Last edited:
Certainly a troublesome age, but also an age in which a child could make their mark.

Images for reference
Of9oZJV.jpg
Aeronwen a Y Straffi and Oric Raesdwalding

pf4FC7r.png

5 August, 489

Osric has returned, and with his friend Freawulf no less – and here I had hoped that Freawulf Seaxnating would settle Osric to some extent, not encourage his rashness! Still, I am grateful that he would risk his neck for my fool of a husband, and grateful even to Osric, to some extent: knowing that Ceidio ap Eugein is cold and dead does not bring me joy, but it is just.

On the other hand Aelle Ironshield Rex Anglorvm has named the prattling, murderous fool marshall – not that he understands anything beyond running at his enemy and staving in his skull. Osric may be brave, but he is no tactition, no Caesar, no Syagrius… I now find myself thinking of that great man as Saegrus, so long have I been in the land of the Aengles, yet still my heart aches for the last bastions of civilized peoples. I've suggested he read of Alexander - if anything would interest him in knowledge I thought it would be the great conqueror of the ancient world, but he says only to stop nagging at him

Addendum: the birth was easy, thank the gods, and I thank them fervently that Osric returned and my son, my beautiful son will not be raised fatherless. Osric may not provide the romance I dreamed of as a girl, but he can provide the iron I learned as a woman grown that I need. Perhaps Wulfrith will take me north: as son of Aengle and Briton both, he could well rule over both peoples.... but that is neither here nor now, and for the now he sleeps peacefully

Dec 25, 489

Osric is an oaf; he might have the strength to keep us safe, but O! how I wish for a dashing man like Arthwr, who has been called back from the Continent and has halted the Southern Seax, or for a man to whisk my off my feet like my father did for my mother! But alas, for that is not to be my life…

Perhaps my sister-by-law Gunhilda will be more fortunate in that regard than I: she has now seen sixteen summers and is in the flower of beauty. Osric has petitioned his father Ealdorman Wulfric to arrange her marriage to his friend Freawulf Seaxneating, and the old man grudgingly agreed. So too did Bedca, father of Freawulf – it seems no one can refuse that charming man anything!

In an age of war a man who can split a skull can be just the man one needs, even if his other habits leave much to be desired.

Dec 29

No sooner have I learned the nature of my husbands’ quarrel than it is over! Men! Fifty years of feuding, and then a few scuffles together in the mud against the Aengles of Lindseige to the north and suddenly Osric has a new Seaxneating friend, Freawulf. Gah

Not to detract from Freawulf: he’s a jovial fellow, and much more mild than many of his countrymen. Perhaps he will have a calming effect on my husband…

I cannot bear to write much more: this is a dark day, for the tide that bears with it keels of Seax to our shores brought black news as well – Syagrius is defeated and Soissons no more. Barbarus mare et barbara terra, Romae lux decrescit*.

Osric is jubilant, the oaf.

*Barbaric lands and seas, the light of Rome is extinguished

Yup, Winter King all the way! I kind of like the zoomed-in focus, not to mention the time period. And the ability to split skulls is Osric's main blessing, but such abilities can both solve and cause problems... as we shall soon see.

In any case, over the last month I've graduated from college/university, gone on vacation, and gotten a job, so my schedule should be settling down and my updates more regular

Last edited:
You are tempting me to write an AAR in this mod from the perspective of someone like Sidonious Apollinaris.

This is not a good thing :)

I know little of the Winter King mod but I'm glad to see an AAR based on it. Subscribed!

There's a lot to come! I'll be focusing on the story that develops, but along the way there should be quite a few demonstrations of the mod's mechanics

You are tempting me to write an AAR in this mod from the perspective of someone like Sidonious Apollinaris.

This is not a good thing

High praise, and that sounds like an intriguing prospect. I myself have an eye on a descendent of Syagrius (from the game, I've got several hundred years played or observed) should I ever finish this or need a break

Next update will be in a few hours and it's when all sorts of stuff hits the fan

The Shade looked up at the crowd of warriors gathered round. A chill breeze swept through the meadow, and the clouds of vapor that comprised him swirled angrily, his shape blurring in as tendrils of mist sought to escape his frame.

In his eyes, however, his rapt audience could see the mist begin to coalesce, and small, shimmering ice crystals could be seen to form, and were whisked arngrily about, even as he made to continue his story…

In a voice more ragged, more thunderous than it had been until this point, the Shade continued his story, saying, “Now we come to the point that would shape my life and the lives of countless others, though I, and indeed many of them, would not be born for twenty years and more…”

January 17, 490

Today the Seaxneatings came north to Gyrwas for the first time since last Aelle Ironshield called them to arms to fight mighty Powys, and certainly for the first time of their own accord since the Raedwaldings were awarded the Fens and the surrounding lands.

The air was crisp, the grass as well as its frosty blades were crushed underfoot, and between the lethargic wind ushering on some whisps of mist and the Aengle and Seax warriors bedecked in their war-glory it seemed as if a scene from one of the old fantastical tales.

The womenfolk with our honorguard, waited some distance from Osric, his father, and the rest of the household warriors. The Seaxneatings and their Seax warriors approached them, and began the conversation that would see the two clans bound to each other by blood.

But the discourse clearly differed from what tradition demanded, and we could soon hear shouts, with Osric’s enraged roars rising far above the rest, including the word “Coward!” howled at the Seax. In response to this Freawulf strode to the fore of the Seax, and drew his sword to face his erstwhile friend – I could well imagine my husband frothing at the mouth – and the two exchanged a flurry of blows that left Osric laying on the cold ground as the Seax formed themselves around their aetheling and began edging away. Startled gasps arose from the ladies around me, and even I was surprised by the ferocity and the speed of the combat, and I was no stranger to violence.

Osric, tight lipped and furious over the insult rather than his hurts, stated in clipped words that Freawine had married another, and that he would kill that (I will not sully this page with the colorfull, profuse, and extensive profanity he used to describe Freawulf).

I am feeling sick to my stomach at this turn of events, and it goes farther than sadness for Gunhilda, who is in tears, the poor child.

That does seem to bode well.

Images for reference
Of9oZJV.jpg
Aeronwen a Y Straffi and Oric Raesdwalding
dbO6KvA.jpg

pf4FC7r.png

images unedited from game

T54cTHx.png

January 26 490

Wlencing Aellessunu, Priceps Anglorum has come to visit, and to offer his condolences. He was shown to the training ground by Glaedwine, one of Osric’s friends, where he found Osric practicing sword-strokes, as he had greatly increased the amount of time he spent at practice, although he walks now with a limp from the wound Freawine inflicted upon him. He has also sworn his revenge, and his father Ealdorman Wulfric has done nothing but encourage him.

24 February, 490

My husband has been a busy man – Wlencing was not here long before Osric pledged to support him to inherit the throne of Anglia upon his father’s death, for Aelle Ironshield Rex Anglorvm is growing old, and has also been helping Hrothmund Trygilssunu, heir to Norfolc, with “a delicate issue.” As if. More likely they’ve gone to pound whoever offended Hrothmund into the dust.

The last time Osric held something delicate it shattered into ten thousand pieces.

12 May, 490

Osric has taken a few dozen men west to raid Cynwydion. With the increased drilling of his men, and the presence of some warriors loaned by his father, I know that he is up to something bigger, far bigger than the small raid he has just returned from. He even has a prisoner, Mayor Apon of some town called Dwyafronte, with whom he has taken to sparring. He even says he’s going to release the man, having found him quite agreeable. Agreeable, and talkative, I should think.

28 May, 490

I was right. Osric has taken over a thousand men northwest to raid into Powys. I wish him luck. For now I shall be overseeing his lands, and perhaps later today I shall go riding with Elffled.

8 June, 490

Today the first wounded returned: a party of fifty men, thirty of them wounded. Ellfled and I encountered them while on one of our daily rides around my husband’s estates, and happily accompanied them back to the hall. The rest were escorts – Osric has faced King Cuneglas the Just in battle and emerged victorious, his fifteen hundreds against twenty-two hundreds on the side of Powys, under the command of Cuneglas himself and his commanders Nasiens and Gawain.

24 June, 490

Another threescore men have returned, half of them hurt; However, they bring with them exalted company: Cuneglas! He was captured in a failed attempt to relieve Ad Pontem, and was driven from the field! Osric does seem to be doing well for himself. With the wealth these men have brought back – just a small amount of the total that shall soon be taken, they assure me – we can most certainly build a new hall, hire new servants, perhaps a new wardrobe for myself, and Elffled shall certainly help with this endeavor! I may even be able to send gifts to Oryth and Morgause and Mor far off in the north of Rheged! Of course, much of the loot my dear husband acquires will no doubt go to purchasing arms and furnishing more fighting men.

July 4, 490

Osric and the majority of his host are back. Though their raid was ended early, they are in high spirits, for each of the men, from the lowest freeman spearman to Osric himself have returned with enough silver to be pleased, despite Gawain of Powys rallying the dispirited Britons and raising yet more men for a third attempt to send Osric’s raiders scurrying home.

Osric was forced to return to Gyrwas, and lost a fair few men in that last engagement – Hrothmund has a nasty cut on his face, but perked up when Elffled told him it made him look more dashing, but our men were able to hold onto their loot. The largest drawback is that Osric’s brother Bisi was captured, but since he holds King Cuneglas prisoner, anyone can see that he came out ahead.

6 December 490

After the summer’s raid all was quiet. Osric did see fit to allow me enough silver to buy clothes for myself and Gunhilda, horses, and the beginnings of a new hall – which he, of course, had to oversee the constructing of – but all in all I am content, He was called over to Thunreslea to train warriors for Aelle, so at least he has been out of my hair, and his friend Wlencing has defeated a Dummonian incursion at Lundenwic.

25 December, 490

Osric has returned home in high spirits – his wound is finally healed! I must confess his high spirits are infectious!

July 14, 491

The last fortnight…. Well! The last fortnight has been unlike any time I can remember for many, many years. After the disaster of her last wedding my sister-by-law Gunhilda was, as can be imagined, apprehensive about a repeat. Still, it has been a year and a half…

After the events with the Seaxneatings, Osric had wanted to marry her off to someone else – he may be the Aetheling of Gyrwas, but this was one thing I would not stand for! She had had her heart set on that scum Freawine Seaxneating. The poor girl, and Osric caved after only some halfhearted arguments. And so Elffled and I sat her down, and slowly we coaxed her back to the world of men and women. Osric and his friends helped, too, in their heavy-handed ways. They helped so much that it was no surprise to me when Glaedwine announced his intent to marry her!

After a brief conversation with Gunhilda herself – she is still young and somehow overflowing with optimism – I decided to have a chat with my dear husband. Beodericsworth might not be as powerful a potential ally as the Seaxneating’s Essex would have been, but now that we seem to be on the warpath with them the assurance of a few hundred spears is not something to be taken lightly, and Glaedwine is a fine and reliable young man.

The wedding itself was only week or so past, and oh! How we danced, and how Gunhilda’s eyes flashed merrily, and Glaedwine looked so happy to see his blushing bride! There was mead ever-flowing, and little Wulfrith toddled around and betwixt the tables of food and drink with nary a worry in the world. For the night, I felt as if I hadn’t a care either. Hrothmund of Norfolc came, and so of course did Wlencing Aellessunu.

And then only last night, Osric made clear to me that he wished for my presence at a feast he would be holding. I wonder, what’s gotten into him? Not much else has happened this last year, aside from the usual skirmishing between Briton and Angle. I did receive a letter from my dear friend Morgause in Din Alauna, far away in northern Rheged, in which she related her hopes to soon be married…

15 July, 491

What a strange turn of events! Was it indeed a feast I was invited to? In most senses of the word no: it was only for the two of us! I have long known that Osric admires me. He certainly buys me enough trinkets, and that is more telling than how often he comes to my bed. Besides myself he has several concubines, and yet he very clearly favors me.

Plus I have given him his first son! Our little Wulfrith, light of my life!

It was a night of games and foods, of stories even. Osric began by trying to teach me the game Tafl, which turns out to be not so very different from our own game of Mercenaries. By “ours,” I mean of course Roman, and after a few games to allow me to adjust to the new rules, Osric engaged my pieces in earnest. Now I can see that while he may (may, ha! He most definitely is…) be a fool and an oaf and uneducated, these games of strategy unveil his true intelligence. In fact, this whole ‘private feast’ is more evidence that he does not wholly lacking in intellect.

While he refused to read of Hannibal and Scipio, of Vegetius or Aetius or “Sagrus,” he was eager to have me relate their stratagems and campaigns using the Tafl pieces and crudely drawn maps on the floor, both of us squatting over them, with our foreheads almost touching….

Perhaps, perhaps Wulfrith will soon have a brother or sister.

8 August, 491

Today, word reached us that Hrothmund’s father passed on, leaving him to inherit the kingdom of Norfolc. Hrothmund seems content enough, and it came as no surprise to anyone: not for nothing was his father known as Ealdorman Trygil the Cripple. Osric has ridden to his friend’s lands to do who-knows-what

Thought I'd get a fair bit of time up and out of the way; I'm hoping to get some portraits of the people ready as well

Last edited:
Riding and doing who-knows-what... yep, sounds like the 5th century to be sure! :p

All sounds pleasingly domestic. Makes me wonder what disaster is about to happen.

Riding and doing who-knows-what... yep, sounds like the 5th century to be sure! :p
Ah, yes, one of the reasons I like writing about the 4-600's is there is so much leeway and who-knows-what that you could kind of squint and shrug your shoulders at my story and say, eh, plausible!

All sounds pleasingly domestic. Makes me wonder what disaster is about to happen.
It is very much the calm before yet another storm, the point of no return....

Last edited: