The Aviarium Continuum: The Greater Flight of the Bird People - A Mildly Interactive/Democratic AAR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First: Dove
Second: Sparrow

Why waste good Bird Person lives in a war with creatures we agree with?

I am not an expert in political affairs but I'm afraid Hawk will lose this election.
Those who vote for the Dove Lobby appear to prefer the Sparrow Lobby as second choice.
Am I right?

The voting is closed!

I'm not home right now so the results will come with the next update. I'll play sometime during the weekend and upload a new chapter in the weekend or Monday.

Last edited:
Oh darn, just as I was about to vote. Dove then sparrow, I would've done.

Do I hear people maligning the courage and steadfastness of chickens? Chicken Lobby for the 23rd century! Chicken-Pigeon coalition will end all feed disputes and usher in an era of real democracy!

Anyway, great AAR so far.

Party Choice

First choice: Dove Lobby - Don't be a glove, vote Dove!
Second Choice: Sparrow Lobby

(Great AAR so far btw, I really am enjoying it!)

Thank you! I really enjoy writing it.

CURSE THESE DIRTY FEATHERED SPARROWS. THEY HAVE BEEN IMPOSING THEIR WILL FOR FAR TOO LONG. LET THE EXPERIENCED BIRD-PEOPLE RULE.

In the Face of Adversity, we will not Baulk,
For we Grew a Pair, and voted HAWK.

First choice: Hawk
Second Choice: Dove

1125052-bigthumbnail.jpg

It is interesting how the Dove voters are rather dogmatic about supporting the Sparrows while the Hawk Voters often support the Dove as a coalition partner.

First Choice: Hawk
Second: Dove

Love this AAR! I'll be keeping up! I may have to take notes from your methods.

Thank you! There are certainly things I could do better (this is my first real campaign too), but I think the thing I'm most happy about is the election system.

(warning, rant incoming)

it avoids the de-facto formation of a two party system as seen in First Past the Post (largest party wins, no discussion) systems, since a party would need at least 45% to rule alone, hence its more flexible in having a total of 6 realistic outcomes (3 majority parties and 3 possible coalitions each with 2 combinations of who's the leading party) without having to have many parties (I can't handle more than maybe 4).

On the other hand, the rigid government formation logic, along with the secondary votes, also mean that I'm not in a position where I have to roleplay how the parties form governments following an election in a proportional democracy. A very story-focused heavy AAR with this election system could of course leave out the government formation logic, but for me, it's something I use to enhance the democratic power of the voting system and to avoid accusations of bias.

Users are in control, but the "middle party" (which I'm trying to portray it 100% as, it has its own things) the Sparrow Lobby, does not have to be a coalition partner every time someone doesn't win. A Hawk-Dove government is possible if voters *want* it (and the Sparrows won't always default to the same "side" - they're in it for themselves, as are the other parties).

First Choice: Hawk
Second choice: Sparrow.

Also make sure and decommission any redundant Frontier posts.

Yeah I know. I was actually convinced that you needed to put down a frontier outpost to colonize outside your "range" at first. I'm not sure why I believed that.

First choice: Sparrow, Sparrow, SPARROW!
Second choice: Dove

aa-sparrows-with-babies.jpg

These weaselly Hawks need to learn their place! A new coalition will teach these narrowheaded Hawks to be more Sparrowheaded!

I think that rhyme may be pushing the boundaries of what actually rhymes, but I'm no poet. ;)

Well, we found the ruined vessel of the First League and we learned that the crew was made up of guys from twelve different species.

The conclusion is obvious : we have to become the Second League and unite the Sector and other species under our rule.

We have to destroy the crystalline entities, unite Obevni under our banner and secure our legal territory, including our underground territory.

We have also to secure the pre-sentient mammals of Usir 1b and continue exploration.

So :

First Choice : Hawke
Second Choice : Dove

Okay.

No federations though.

Federations are evil.

Wow. It looks to me that there is such a backlash to the Sparrowhawk coalition, that BOTH are being ousted for a Dove Majority government.

I wonder if this is the standard practice of ousting the ruling party eventually, or if people just like the alternative policies better.

I don't mind either way, both are staples of democracy, after all.

Well I for one am mostly pleased with Claws of Purples administration, I just believe that the Sparrowhawk Coalition could use a term of Hawks being in the lead.

Do note that the Consul is elected by direct vote of Citizens and acting outside the parties of the Murmuration.

(Kind of have to play it like that, otherwise it would be hard for me to justify how it all works)

I am not an expert in political affairs but I'm afraid Hawk will lose this election.
Those who vote for the Dove Lobby appear to prefer the Sparrow Lobby as second choice.
Am I right?

You are correct. Dove voters generally are more dogmatic about only ruling alone or with the Sparrow Lobby, while the Sparrow Lobby and Hawk lobby are a bit more spread out (we were one vote from having a Sparrow-Dove coalition last update).

Oh darn, just as I was about to vote. Dove then sparrow, I would've done.

Do I hear people maligning the courage and steadfastness of chickens? Chicken Lobby for the 23rd century! Chicken-Pigeon coalition will end all feed disputes and usher in an era of real democracy!

Anyway, great AAR so far.

Worry not about the doves.

And there will be no Space Chicken Lobby, Space Chickens are for delicious eating (no, it's no more cannibalism than humans eating other mammals).

2220 Elections

YjNvGG6.png

In the 2220 elections, the Sparrowhawk coalition was shattered not from the inside, but the loss of elector confidence for both parties. With a total of 47% (9/19) of the vote, with a 5<% lead to the nearest competitor, the Dove Lobby won an assured majority with 160 seats, due to fulfilling the 45%+5%* criteria, with the remainder distributed among the two other parties:

The Dove Lobby secures 160 mandates with 47% (9/19) of the vote.
The Sparrow Lobby secures 56 mandates with 21% (6/19) of the vote.
The Hawk Lobby Secures 84 mandates with 32% (4/19) of the vote.

As a result, the Dove Lobby formed a unitary government, confirmed by Claws pf Purple in 2220. This would have no effect on her consulship.

* I introduced this rule from the beginning so that if a party got precisely 50%, which is likely with 10-20 voters, they would be able to form a government if another did not get the same precise amount. it is also a sort of stability vs huge coalitions when there's a really large plurality measure. I am not trying to force a two party system, this only really happens if about half the players vote for a party, which hasn't been the case before.

Chapter 2 Part 1: 2220-2235 - Across the Void, A Shadow

I broke my goal of 10-15 years and played 25. This will be another split chapter.

You'll see why, but I apologize in advance.

First things first, Consul Claws of Purple and the Aviarium government made contact with the empire that would cut off the Aviarium Continuum from further expansion.

UvdtbWW.png

It seemed the theories that sapient life could not evolve on green planets was false, even those these beings seemed... to lack a certain individuality. They played at unity, but the ruling elite was some sort of organization of the richest and wealthiest - they were not elected, nor were the positions truly meritocratic.

It would seem that not all life in the galaxy was as impressive as the Obevnis had led the Aviarium to believe.

Nevertheless, an embassy was established (and quite often they would trade minerals for the Aviariums excess energy credits).

Meanwhile, The new young admiral Plume of Green was sent to prove the efficiency of the new corvettes against old mining equipment.

yHwhGmP.jpg

Because, to be fair, everything else in this galaxy is too strong to deal with.

Starting from the first day of their election victory, the Dove lobby poured almost every resource into improving research and mining output and changing official policies. Orbital bombardment was limited to only strategic bombing, a peaceful first contact policy was chosen, and native interference was chose as passive only.

When the Obevnis themselves came to offer to join forces, the Dove Lobby agreed, even though it would mean the dissolution of some influence eaters (all edicts, essentially).

9m7Tpvv.jpg

Did I mention that these guys are actually have much weaker than the Aviarium though they have very few planets?

In a show of solidarity, the Drull'Perfen "Kingdom" was declared a rival of the Aviarium Continuum and a force against the betterment of the galaxy.

f0Eeu6b.jpg

To the east of the Drull'Perfen Kingdom existed another nation, the Union of Dex'Klanga Nations, that despite it's civilian government seemed to have some sense of democratic values.

krWxiaz.jpg

It would later be given a seat in the alliance between the Aviarium Continuum and OUC which came to be known as the "Republican Force".

Speaking of the OUC, a frontier station at Grekil never proved necessary, as new tech kept it barely within Aviarium borders, so a conflict with their newest allies, even of a diplomatic sort, was avoided.

In 2221, Claws of Purple was re-elected for the fourth time. Around the same time, the Dove Lobby started efforts to follow through on their promise to explore the southern arm of the galaxy, hiring a scientist that was so fresh out of Space College that he had just decided to name himself after the standard garments of such institutions.

tyafpL5.jpg

He would be the proud scientist-Captain of the IBP Farsight, to explore far beyond where no Bird Person had ever gone before.

But first, the old part of the world still had a few wonders left, and it was decided to share them with the entire Aviarium, instead of letting them gather even more dust in a basement somewhere.

It turned a few Bird People rather more... Fascinated with the idea of alien life.

8y1V3dt.jpg

Before Feathers of Khaki ever managed to get as far as the new southern frontier, he had become so knowledgeable in the field of new worlds, that he was put in charge of society research in the hope that he would be able to expand the variety of planets that the Aviarium could settle.

aCHioyk.jpg

In case you can't tell, I'm guessing at the genders.

The honorable dr. Feathers of Blue, who was relieved of her post as head of Society research, was instead charged with the more hands-on mission of exploring the new galaxy arm, for it soon became clear that there was nothing left in the current one to colonize, as Wings of Cyan who remained scientist-captain of the much older IBP Wandering Eye would discover.

There were however, along with the mammals of Ustir neighboring system, more natives in the area with potential, which the Aviarium did not yet have the technology to unlock.

1h9g7UH.jpg

Sometimes, I suspect the game is teasing me.

There were also underwater lifeforms to uncover by blowing up ice. For science.

808WhCk.jpg

It turned into a bit of an obsession, as Wings of Cyan ended up successfully relaying to the Murmuration how vital it would be that he be allowed to continue blowing up and dissecting investigating the fascinating ways of advanced biological life of other planets..

CyjAfyO.jpg

The mammals in Ustir, The anthropoids in Galpan and soon also the proto civilization on Terebellum. The western edges were teeming with life, but none that were of any direct use in gaining control over the area, and none that could realistically be enlightened in good time or uplifted with current technology.

TW6wRIt.jpg

It didn't take long for Wings of Cyan to reach end end of the western frontier, and also the end of his life, as the Scientist jumped directly into the local fauna of a newly accessible solar system.

eedcVXZ.jpg

He died as he had lived: Surrounded by dangerous animals.

One of the leaders that had been with the Aviarium Continuum since the beginning, had given his life to the cause. It seemed a sign, of sorts, that soon the early days of peaceful exploration may soon be at an end.

Beyond the Othari Coalition, which is visible in a nice salmon colour, to the north west, there was another so-called "plutocratic oligarchy". This one was not only ruder, but far wetter.

BaL11wi.jpg

New theories in the Aviarium Continuum don't discredit the possibility of sentient life on very fertile planets, merely uphold that such life are probably jerks.

The first many years of adventuring in the new galaxy arm had been a failure. All the newly commissioned science vessel headed by former head of society research, Feathers of Blue, found were either completely barren, full of uninhabitable greenery or frozen.

Then she struck gold. Or well, gold-coloured sand.

NFrtgke.jpg

Two system, Pothria and Discida with agreeable planets, one of them with two habitable ones. Colony ships were quickly prepared and sent to what would later become the Shadow Sector, named after the Nebula which covered most of it.

0nvRcWg.jpg

In 2226 Claws of Purple secured yet another victory for the consulship. It was nearing the point where people had a hard time imagining how to replace her.

In the meantime, Feathers of Khaki had not yet discovered a new way to settle desert or tundra planets, but he had discovered a new way to look inwards - that the Aviarium couldn't afford right now.

Lio8poG.jpg

Contacts with more distant factions had become a yearly or even monthly event. Some of these were a bit further away than others, however...

az3adNc.jpg

Go on. Try to stop us. I dare you Kraxrozl!

West of the Shadow Sector, a medieval era planet full of fellow Avians was found.

kDmSZ4J.jpg

While this discovery caught the attention of the Aviarium continuum, official Dove policy banned invasion of native species, and they were outside the borders of the Aviarium, hence there was no possibility of enlightenment, unless a nearby planet could be found.

The years passed by relatively uneventfully as every system without a large population of native galactic flora had their mining and research stations constructed and colony ships were sent to the new sector. Much had been left behind due to the high amount pf planets found to be habitable early on.

In 2231 Claws of purple was re-elected again, for the sixth time.

While Feathers of Blue continued her research of the new world, Plume of Blue, Scientist-Captain of IBP Classifying Eye, and replacement to fill the void left by Wings of Cyan, was not too competent at geological studies either, especially not space geology.

qzsIz9f.jpg

At least the fleet was finally large enough to break a few crystalline entities up to see what was inside, for scientists to get an idea of how they thought.

Current theories? It seemed likely they thought of space vessels 'metallic entities'.

Dm0Ntwj.jpg

I can't argue with that logic. We'd basically be a walking suit of armour filled with maggots that made it move, to them. No wonder they attack on sight.

Busy to prove that she was better at researching anomalies than her rival scientist college "it's just a meteor" Plume of Blue, she spend about half a year looking at strange light glimpse from a planet.

GZy6lZd.jpg

At least she knows she doesn't know. (Also RNGjesus hates me :rolleyes:)

She had better luck with asteroids, though.

dgE9FQ2.jpg

Who in the world had reached a level of technology, that they thought nothing of leaving behind artificial gravity machines behind?

And why wasn't this area of space already colonized, if the galaxy was truly so tightly packed?

It's almost like something in the area scared other factions away, but that couldn't possibly be true.

But there was little time to theorize. In the year of 2234, the OUC called the allies of the Republican Force to order, and claimed that it was time to close the border between them and crush the autocrat dictators of the Drull'Perfen Kingdom.

Though the fleet of the Aviarium was not quite yet up to a satisfactory size, the Dove Lobby agreed to stand with their allies. Their fleet would provide backup to the more well-armed OUC and Union of Fex-klanga Nations (UFN).

They outnumbered their enemy, who stood alone, 2:1. This should be a short war.

jLzVQDW.jpg

To be continued in Chapter 2 part 2. No elections until its up (elections are suspended due to war).

I'm aiming to release the second part today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Chapter 2 Part 2: 2235-2245 - From the Molten Ashes

or 'oh fuck it I'll just do it all in one go though nobody is able to read all of it at once, probably'
----------
Quote of the update.
"A culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves… or find themselves lacking. "

- Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II
----------

The liberation of the Drull'Perfen citizens of the autocratic rulers of the Drull'Perfen Kingdom had begun. The Aviarium fleet of 15 Ember-Class corvettes made a short advance into Dull'Perfen territory, though somewhat concerned about the delay of OUC forces in arriving, it was surmised that they were simply gathering their forces.

Meanwhile, the decision was made to build a frontier station on the western fringes of the primary galaxy arm, in order to safeguard the resources of the area while no colony could be established.

CdiI1f9.jpg

The war didn't stop Feathers of Blue from doing her job investigating the fringes of the Shadow sector, either. Strange geothermal reactions on a planet east of the Shadow Sector turned out to be the remnants of an old power plant, once again spurring confusion as to who would leave such a thing behind and why nobody had approached the area since.

BYY59sp.jpg

As the 1st Grand Flock led by Plume of Green made contact with the enemy on the far reaches of their empire, the choice was made to retreat until the OUC would move out from their homeworld, where they still sat and did nothing.

Aviarium command did not count on the fact that the enemy's warp drives could catch up with them while they were charging for the second jump.

CywHFiX.jpg

Why isn't the OUC moving?!

The result was a catastrophy, as the Dull'Perfen forces assaulted the sitting duck fleet.

GzExDjp.jpg

While the OUC forces Oygan still did not move - it started to become apparent that their warp engines could not make the journey to help the war they themselves started.

Ougru0x.jpg

Most forces that tried to make it back home to the Aviarium were slaughtered to a bird.

The political climate of the Aviarium was shattered as if every Bird Person had been a ship of their fleet.

The Aviarium Continuum had forgotten itself. It was supposed to be a republic based upon the principles of military command. Civil order and freedoms, yes, but also military might. Yet, their fleet had been the smallest of the Republican Force and they had been shattered in a single engagement.

In short, they had gotten complacent, relying upon the fleet of their allies to protect them, and when their allies came up short, the Aviarium could not lift the burden. With the lack of external threats, the military had become filled with clerks, bureaucrats and technicians and few actual warriors.

Claws of Purple had grown old in her office. She knew the easy way was to admit defeat. Wait it out. The Aviarium had no claim in this war, not had the enemy levied any against them. It would end with a white peace.

But no. If the Aviarium had forgotten itself. If she had forgotten herself. If they had thought the galaxy an open field for them to settle as they wished, reclined in their chairs... Then it was time for them to wake up. The order was given: Arm the Republic with a new fleet.

The Dove lobby, humiliated and defeated, was none too late to reply and get to work. The other parties could point fingers if they wanted, they had not build up the war machine of the Aviarium either, but now there was no time to squabble with politics. The war had suspended the elections and they had free hands to do as they needed.

Meanwhile, news of contact with multiple nations west of the Shadow Sector soon arrived, the most immediate of which was the United Bhenn'Thell Union, another democratic nation of fungoids, though once again much too free in their extension of everyone regardless of having served the common good or not, but also one that would eventually box the Aviarium further in.

H6pCp9a.jpg

I want to hug it.

Due to the highly pressing matters of the way, dossiers on further xeno contacts was ordered delayed until after the war.

Another Arid planet was found in the east of the Shadow sector, and extraordinarily, war-time resources were permitted to be spent on a colony ship, as the expansion by colonization should be pushed as far as possible, even during war, according to Dove doctrine.

The system also has some interesting live specimens.

VTKARJI.jpg

The scientists moves further east, and Plume of Blue soon made a frightful discovery: Leftover shots from another galaxy.

H9VQFHS.jpg

While others were remarking that this must be random misfire, military intelligence whispered more concerned thoughts. There is a lot of empty space out there, it seemed... probable... that this could have been a fire test, specifically targeted at our galaxy.

Feathers of Blue, who had also been transferred to the far southeast, found further evidence of solar systems east of the Shadow Sector simply being abandoned.

7wuZyzJ.jpg

Turning attention back to the war effort, in 2236, Claws of Purple was quickly reaffirmed as the Consul of the Aviarium Continuum. the OUC had done little to advance on their own, and came through that the wormhole-using UFN was making headway into enemy territory.

YtBJNjm.jpg

This was the time to move out. The new 1st Grand Flock "Vengance" moved out from Aviarium space and tried to link up with the OUC for a grant advance into enemy space.

0wCKCQw.jpg

The name will keep changing because it erases it every time I merge the fleet :confused:.

They would not budge from their positions.

Frustrated beyond belief, this war was being fought on their behalf and they could not move to their claimed territory?! Aviarium High Command and the ruling Dove government ordered a further increase in war output, including the construction of an assault army.

The Aviarium would win this war for them, but they would owe a debt that would take a long time to repay.

But the new fleet would take even longer to arm, and meanwhile more seemingly intelligent microscopic was found by Plume of Blue, this time on the southern frontier.

p2RXFZ7.jpg

She kept investigating further east until she suddenly and frantically claimed to have reason to delay dossiers on alien species.

She believed she had encountered not only the reason that this part of the galaxy wasn't colonized by others, and why there was seemingly an endless amount of left-behind machinery and debris.

They called themselves 'Gurite Guardians'

yEwsiqC.jpg

Of course this is the first Fallen Empire I come into contact with o_O. At -75 they might have attacked me on first sight. Just three more negative points...

All evidence pointed towards them having had a far greater territorial extent in the past, and a far superior level of technology. Their society had apparently regressed to become the old bird who sat on his Terrance and yelled at all the young chicks to go away from his lawn.

There was a nearby colonizeable planet in the Hijeroscant system marked with purple arrow on the map. Plans to colonize it were abandoned, and the Aviarium could only hope that was enough distance to appease this empire, along with an embassy who would spend most of its time dealing with complaints that the Aviarium was just a little too close for comfort and they smelled funny.

At home, technology was uncovered to deal with the heat and local biome of desert planets.

TuCr3ja.jpg

Up until this point, the 1st Grand Fleet had been stationed for over a year in the peripheral areas of the Drull'Perfen Kingdom, with the Aviarium receiving reinforcements as while the Drull'Perfen retreated to the relative safety of their space stations.

Then they made the mistake of thinking they could move out unnoticed.

tWsEjXD.jpg

Suddenly the tables were turned as their warp drives left them sitting ducks when they had to recharge after the jump into the next system.

1cjXRY8.jpg

Why doesn't the combat stat tell the number of surviving ships? o_O

The remainder of their fleet was crushed as they performed an emergency jump back to where they came from, only to be followed by the Aviarium fleet.

Admiral Plume of Green had become a hero to the Aviarium in just few weeks. Immediately the fleet was moved to bomb the Drull'Perfen Kingdom's capital world, as this seemingly endless conflict could finally end soon.

General Wings of Silver (invader trait, so +20% morale to attacking) was tasked with occupying the planet below.

Zebw1Oq.jpg

Notice how the icon changes between the images. They surrendered while the planet was under attack and the attack never stopped...

The Drull'Perfen soon surrendered under condition that they would keep control over a small remnant of space.

ixBEGGW.jpg

You know, you could have given the "Republic of Kergaros" to the UFN, they did like half the work...

On the way back, the new fleet began a program of annihilating local galaxy fauna which had previously been too strong to even consider. The Aviarium fleet was no longer a small patrol group, it was an armada.

w9XlcwS.jpg

Finally.

Around the same time, the technology required to colonize Desert planets, of which the Aviarium had multiple within its borders, was discovered. Importantly, this allowed actual control over the southwest regions and a hold in the area that was seemingly teeming with life that might one day be uplifted, should the ruling parties of the Aviarium permit it.

JKJXE81.jpg

The planet was soon called "Dry Nest". You may not have noticed, but creative names isn't a staple of Bird Person culture.

But not all was good news. Claws of Purple, nine times re-elected to her office, died peacefully at the age of 83. She lived to lead the Aviarium through its expansion in space, and eventual revitalization as a force to be reckoned with on a galaxy level.

ITNsajJ.jpg

But the duty of the Aviarium Continuum never ends. Hero of the Aviarium and deliverer of its most vital victory, Plume of Green easily won the nomination to the Aviarium Continuum's highest office.

ALPBHAs.jpg

His traits are: Champion of the people (+10% happiness) and Recruiter (+20% army morale). I didn't just support him for the sake of the story, you know.

But the position had changed slightly. The republic had awoken to its calling

4sy1vyf.jpg

New elections are called. Check after the appendix for details.

End of chapter 2 part 2

Appendix: Status of the Aviarium and primer on diplomatic contacts.

The Aviarium has expanded moderately in their own galaxy arm, securing the western borders and establishing a frontier output in the far right.

T87GR7l.jpg

The improvement is mainly felt in research, as the new fleet/military requires upkeep and sectors require some of the recently discovered resources to grow.

The population now numbers 76 standard population units across 11 homeworlds (increasing as more desert planets are added). There is a very small minority of Tendrakkian refugees living on Yellow Nest in the Proxima sector, otherwise the entire population is still Bird People.

The 1st Grand Flock numbers 40 corvettes of the 'Halo' Design, replacing the three light weapons with larger main missile launcher and an auxiliary missile launcher.

muYU9IJ.jpg

Primer on known factions in the galaxy

Allies

Currently the Aviarium Continuum is allied with the Obevni United Constituents (Military Republic, using warp) and the Union of Fex'Klanga Nations (Indirect Democracy, using wormholes) forming the Republican Force. The Fex'Klanga can get a bit unbearable when they think they're right, but at least they pulled their weight in the war against the Drull'Perfen Kingdom, unlike the OUC.

TYlyCVg.jpg

Close neighbors (within 2 degrees of Aviarium space or 1 degree of allied space)

- The Drull'Perfen Kingdom still clings to a sad existence squashed between the newly released Republic of Kerganos and the OUC. Unremarkable.

Tny4wGu.jpg

Further east, next to the UFN are the Ra.. Rak-nu.. The RakNak nation.

kK7geN4.jpg

- To the Northwest are the Othari and the Guma. The Guma are palpably more grumpy, but both are regimes are constructed to disregard the free will of their people.

C6VJi4G.jpg

- To the Southwest, along the Shadow Sector, are first and foremost the United Bhenn'thell Union (UBU) which seems somewhat agreeable in their democratic ways, if not... too peaceful for the times to come. Further out are the sickening (though polite) slavers of the Ymacera United Suns. The UBU has notably captured the systems which had an Avian medieval society, as they could colonize the planet type.

oDzCAl3.jpg

East of the Shadow Sector, the Gurite Guardians are a little more mellow (which doesn't say much) that the Aviarium Continuum keeps sending reassurances that we want nothing to do with them, either.

dUuGnpA.jpg

I don't know if filling the border with them will make them attack, and I'm not going to find out. I hope the current colonies are not pushing it.

Distant neighbors

Currently knowledge expands to 22 known factions in the galaxy. There is no time to speak of them all.

Osz00vt.jpg

A few of them makes the Aviarium Continuum ask some rather pertinent questions though.

0zFXh7e.jpg

Where to start... Also notice the war

Primer on known xenos in the Aviarium, sentient or not

S0RfhoC.jpg

Known are:

Pre-sentients:

- The Bir-Mathi mammals of the arctic planet in the Ustir system.
- The Anthropoids of the Galpan system.

Sentients:

- Unknown stone age civilization on Terebellum.
- The Bruggan who have fallen under the sphere of the UBU.

Space faring

- Some members of the Underground race of the Tendrakkians. Recently a few have adopted more Avarium ideas on society.

Political situation

Having ruled for 25 years straight, greatly extended by the war, countless criticisms of the Dove Lobby have been aimed and responded to, most pertinently.

- The fleet size of the initial expedition to the war was far too small. The Hawk and Sparrow lobby both argue that they would have build up the forces more beforehand, securing a faster victory. The Hawk lobby even adds that had the OUC been unified under their leadership by war, the entirety of the Dull'Perfen Kingdom might have been under Aviarium control now.

The Dove lobby counters that the costs of paying for the forces necessary to accomplish that would have diverted resources away from colonizing the Shadow Sector, and that it would have made an enemy of a like-minded ally. The Hawk Lobby counters that the OUC did nothing to help themselves in the war and that an alliance with them has little value.

- Regarding the Shadow Nebula, the Sparrow lobby argues that it would have investigated it too, albeit somewhat later, in order to secure an expedition to uncover more about the Precursors. The Dove lobby dismisses this with the fact that X was already encroaching on the area and that had the expedition been delayed, the Aviarium may have been boxed into an even smaller box.

Future policies

The Aviarium Continuum has now been boxed in on all sides. There is no doubt, and no debate, that in order to speed up the unification of the forces of the galaxy, war will be necessary.

Each party has an idea on how to break this containment:

The Dove Lobby
argues that the allies of the Republican Force should be assembled and turned on the Othari nation. Though they are agreeable in personality, their society is degenerate and they need our guidance most of all. It will take a while to prime our armies, but we will be ready. War should however wait until all desert planets are colonized
The Hawk Lobby argues that the better goal is the UBU. If we expand enough into their territory, we might reach another galaxy arm through their former space. We also have a duty to take The Bruggan under their control into the space age, forcefully if need be. There is no time for them to develop naturally. We would stand alone against a near equal, but how different would that be from the last war? This time we will be prepared. If there is extra time, the Otharis can also be attacked.
The Sparrow Lobby concurs with the Hawk Lobby in terms of target, but refuses the idea of two wars in quick succession against two different targets, as it would lead to instability and hostility from other factions. Better to finish the original target in the second war before that. As for the remaining desert planets, they're not going anywhere and will be filled as time passes. (i had to edit this, sorry if you voted before that)

I think my keyboard is on fire. Please allow me at least until the next weekend before it cool down and you get a new chapter. Elections, since I won't be playing much outside the weekend anyway, until Thursday 16:00 CEST.

Last edited:
The Othari are the threat, there's no point in waiting for them to declare war on us. But frankly I'm a bit disappointed in the Obevni too, they took a lot more in that war than they had any right to. It might be time to set some rivals and take advantage of that sweet sweet bonus influence from being militarists. The Qix'Potrak look like a safe bet there, serving to underline how wrong the bird people could go and making us a number of friends. The Othari would also make a good rival, being hegemonic imperialists.

First Vote : Dove
Second Vote : Hawk

First Vote: Sparrow
Second Vote: Hawk

article-0-0A955AF6000005DC-213_634x430.jpg

No love for Dove! If you want life to be less harrowing, we need politics to be more sparrowing!

I just want to say that The Shadow Sector sounds like a lovely place that will never spawn any sort of universe devouring cosmic horror.

First vote: Sparrow
Second vote: Dove

First vote Hawk, as we must liberate our Avian brethren
Second vote Dove, as I am a party loyalist after all

Ditko_Hawk_%26_Dove.png

1. Hawk
2. Sparrow

Under a Hawk government we will have the proper military strength.