• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In a mildly intetactve AAR the readers cannot become characters in the campaign.
The AAR was approved for mild interactivity and that would take it to a new level for which it has not been approved.
Maybe in a future AAR of mine there will be full interactivity but right now we stay mildly interactive here at The Amsterdammer Way :)
Sorry!
But you can never have enough Baronies Huh huhhhh

I want titles, and if you send me a message you will have to put all my titles before my name.

Reactions:
Chapter II - A Game of Alliances

Raadpensionaris Sten von Schwelz returned to his residency in the city center after Raad's session was concluded. He is accompanied by the First Coin and Stadtholder Homburg. The three continue to discuss other important matters in private. By that time it was fair to say that the trio are the most influential people in the republic.
Cleves, which has betrayed Amsterdam in the latest war against Utrecht, is made an Amsterdammer rival. This decision is then announced publicly a few days later.

AGbHv9g.png

The conquest of Utrecht benefits the realm more than expected. Utrecht is one of the famous cloth-producing provinces in the Low Lands. Cloth is valuable trade good and thanks to the Amsterdammer merchant guild increased the republic has managed to increase its share in the English Channel trade node. With its growing success, the merchant guild of Amsterdam wants to distinguish themselves from foreign merchant guilds and adopted a unique name: Handelsgilde.
Foreign powers were looking with greed at Amsterdam. Success has its price. To protect the Amsterdammer success, the Raadpensionaris provided the military with additional coin to fund military improvements like the Pike Square, a better infantry formation.

nvabCeM.png

Amsterdam possesses a decent spy network in Western and Northern Europe. On 27 April, 1454, a sealed letter from Joan Rendsburg, a spy working in Stockholm, reports that the Swedish successfully overthrew their Danish overlord!
Sweden signed alliance treaties with England, Scotland and the Amsterdammer rival Friesland.

xqoy8dE.jpg

It is a peaceful period. von Schwelz has been ruling over Amsterdam for about six years. He turned 59 not too long ago.
Peace also has advantages: It allows the realm to focus on diplomatic technology. A treasurer is also hired to supervise the republic's finances.
First Coin Hendrick the Wicket passes away on 14 November, 1454. He is buried in his home town Alkmaar, not too far from Amsterdam. The Handelsgilde then convenes in Amsterdam to elect a new First Coin. The vote is unanimous: Jacco Rendsburg, a young, wealthy merchant that spent his childhood in Utrecht is the new First Coin! Homburg had nominated Rendsburg. If he wanted, he would have become First Coin himself, but Homburg enjoys his position as Stadtholder of of Arnhem a lot and did not want to give it up.

2Q2yNVc.png

Amsterdam is at peace but Europe isn't. Burgundy has declared war on Provence with the goal to conquer Barrois. They are losing that war because France, among others, has sided with Provence. Castile fights against France on the side of Burgundy. Castilian armies occupied Bearn, Armagnac and Perigord by October, 1455.
House Lancaster of England smelles blood and a potential victory when it declared war on France in Mid-October. The war goal of the English is nothing but Paris! The just Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, Friedrich III, sided with France. The Crown of Portugal supported the Lancasters. Europe is in a bloody mess of wars!

2Q2yNVc.png

Homburg and Rendsburg meet von Schwelz in his private villa in Amsterdam to discuss the on-going wars on their doorsteps. It is decided that Homburg receives some ducats to hire his most skilled spy to forge documents in order to gain a claim on the English province Calais. Homburg has excellent contacts with spies around Europe. It should not be forgotten that only thanks to him, Arnhem was conquered by Amsterdam.
Homburg hired Stephen von Franken to carry out the mission.

mjg7b82.png

But it is not time for war with England. Instead, Amsterdam annulled its alliance with Münster and declares them a rival! New alliances were signed with Connacht and Denmark.
A couple of months later, war is declared on Münster! Amsterdam was looking forward to increase its control over cloth and Münster's province Meppen was the ideal target. War is declared On 1 July, 1456. Nassau supports Münster in this war.

H0Ifccq.png

553pRba.png

Münster is caught by surprise. They had not expected Amsterdam to betray them. Münster quickly signs an alliance with Aachen which joins the defending forces.
At the Battle of Meppen, the Münster army is annihilated.

Cg3LLUl.png

The war is short and comes to an end about a year later with the Peace of Cassel in which Meppen is ceded to Amsterdam. With that conquest, the Amsterdammer Handelsgilde opened an office in Meppen, a city that that is part of the Rheinland Trade Node.

eWoZTt3.png

Burgundy accepts a white peace from France. The French betrayed poor Provence by peacing out of the war.
von Schwelz informs his friend the Duke of Hesse that he has to cancel the alliance. Amsterdam was having too many diplomatic relations.

qNDAAyP.png

Thee of the five Irish provinces are controlled by Amsterdam's ally Connacht. Meath belongs to England and Ulster is the home province of Tyrone. After Connacht expressed their unwillingness of joining a potential war against the English. Amsterdam signed an alliance with Tyrone in order to prevent Connacht from conquering them and dissolves the alliance with Connacht.
As expected, Connacht declares war on Tyrone which issues a call to arms. von Schwelz accepts it without hesitation.

3rK8QGd.png

Amsterdam controlles five cogs which are used to transport 5.000 men to Leinster. The navy then returned to pick up another army.

mUWzFzL.jpg

Waterford and Cork have no forts and are easily occupied. By December, 1458, the Amsterdammer army laid siege on Galway, the capital of Connacht. The walls of Galway are breached by February of the following year and by April the city fell. The siege lasted for 147 days.

VF9sMhO.png

Connacht pays the price for being a jerk ally. Full annexation was demanded! The autonomy of the three provinces is increased to decrease the likeness of revolts. With a presence in the North Sea Trade Node, Ireland is part of it, the Handelsgilde closed its operations in Champagne and instead opened an office in Galway to steer trade from the White Sea to the English Channel.

Wd8KEt3.png

VIAbjiW.png

Closing the outpost in Champagne provided to be a mistake and so it was reopened. Instead of closing the operations in Champagne, the Lübeck outpost was closed. This increased the Amsterdammer trade income.

TxFRsVj.jpg

The Amsterdammer military and administration did well. New technology levels are reached and the Longbow becomes the preferred infantry unit of the republic. The longbow is superior to the previously used halberd that relied mostly on pikes. The longbow is a top quality archer.

fXspsJl.png

von Schwelz is happy to inform the members of the Raad of Amsterdam that the republic unlocked Administrative Ideas in November, 1459. The decision to take Administrative Ideas has been made by the Raad of Amsterdam a few years ago.

2GB2Wn2.jpg

England annexed the Scottish province Ayrshire. Scotland was part of the defending forces in England's attempt to conquer Paris. This attempt is failing. The English possessions in Normandy and Aquitaine are occupied by France and Paris is held by French forces. At least that is what Amsterdammer seafarers reported when they sailed along the coast of Normandy.

mLQIp7r.jpg

Homburg, Stadholder of Arnhem, asks von Schwelz to build a market place in Arnhem to increase the local trade power but the Handelsgilde vetoed Homburg. Instead the funds were used to build a marketplace in the capital.
Ikbert is most upset about this decision but in a republic the majority decides what is in the nation's best interest.

vXOE6kk.jpg

The outpost of the Handelsgilde in Galway could do better. Therefore, von Schwelz funds a monopoly company which is considered a long-term investment.

jbbRl1F.png

The alliance with Tyrone was no longer of any use and so von Schwelz sent a diplomat to Ulster to annul it in June, 1460. At the end of June, a Castilian delegation arrives in Amsterdam. They are very impressed by the astonishing harbor and beautiful city center. Castile is ruled by a regency council led by Alfonso de Madrid. de Madrid is part of the Castilian delegation that visits Amsterdam. One evening, de Madrid and von Schwelz have a private dinner where they discuss on-going issues. The Castilians hate England and therefore are willing to sign an alliance with Amsterdam.
The meeting is interrupted by a messenger that informed the two rulers that Friedrich III had passed away! The prince-electors have elected Ludwig II of Hesse as new Emperor. Take that, Habsburg!
To celebrate the new alliance with Castile, von Schwelz promises de Madrid to grant a Spaniard the title Bishop of Utrecht. In September, Antón Tormentorres arrives in Utrecht to become the new bishop of the town.

zdR0Bkq.png

On 7 September, 1460, scouts reported that the war of England vs France is still going on. Both sides are tardy in paying their sell-swords. This has angered many mercenary captains who are offering themselves to von Schwelz for a lower price. In Amsterdam they trust.

b7CwTK4.png

Rebellious groups in Amsterdam in 1460:

CCRfIlE.jpg

Reactions:
wow that nice so far!

Im guessing exploration is going to be a strong contender for 2nd idea thanks to owing half of ire?

any ideas for next target countries on the chopping block?

Reactions:
Assembly of the Raad of Amsterdam; 25 November, 1460

In late November, 1460, the Raad of Amsterdam gets together in the capital to discuss foreign policy. Especially, in times of war it is the duty of the Raadpensionaris to inform the Raad of the political situation.

Honorable delegates,
We live in a time of war. The English-French war over Paris is still going on but the latest reports I received confirmed what our spies have been saying: England is losing the war. It is only a matter of time before they will cede some of their continental possessions to France. (+50 War Score in favor of France).
Scotland had fought alongside the French and had to cede Ayrshire to the English. Furthermore, the aristocracy rebelled in Scotland which caused the country to suffer even more.
Now that we control three provinces in Ireland, the British Isles are more of a concern for us then they were a decade ago.

von Schwelz shows the delegates a map of the British Isles.

URJoHKi.jpg

The question at hand if should we invade Scotland or not? Scotland controls together with England Norway the largest portion of the North Sea Trade Node. If we could increase out influence there then we could steer more trade home.

However, there are a lot of things to consider.

1. Our spies have reported that the Scottish army is composed of 5.000 infantry men and 0 cavalry. Their manpower pool is almost depleted.
    2. The spy report also claims that Scotland has no navy. No as in 0 ships.
    3. Problematic is that Scotland is allied with Sweden and guaranteed by France and France commands over the largest army in Europe.
    4. Sweden on the other hand has a slightly stronger navy then we do.
    5. The diplomat corps has informed me that none of our allies are at present willing to join a war against Scotland. Castile has debt problems and Denmark declines because of insufficient manpower. The Hansa has no interest in joining another war until February, 1462. Austria is already fighting in another war and has therefore no interest in supporting us at present.
    6. Our own army is counts of 10.000 men and our forcelimit permits us to recruit three additional regiments. The Amsterdammer fleet has 17 ships out of which 11 are light ships.
    7. The Scottish ally Sweden is doing well. Their navy is slightly larger than ours with a total of 21 ships. But it is stronger because of the 16 galleys in.
    8. The Swedish have 14 regiments and their manpower reserves are high.
    9. Castile has a debt of 444 ducats which decreases their likeliness of joining the war by -70. If Castile had no debt they would join us.
    10. Danish manpower is only at 7530. If it recovers, the Danish will support us.
    11. The Hansa will join us in a war iff we wait until February, 1462. The Hanseatic fleet is a joke and counts only 4 ships but their army is not be underestimated with 13.000 tough Germans fighting for them.
KGqcv7O.png

With that said, I don't want to decide this important matter alone. This is a crucial moment in Amsterdam's young history. Shall we go to war with Scotland or not?
A loud discussion is going on between the Raad delegates for about half an hour. After it, von Schwelz invites two of the most-experienced delegates as well as the Bishop of Utrecht to present their opinion on the matter.

Antón Tormentorre, Bishop of Utrecht, speaks first.

Gentlemen,
It is an honor for me to speak in front of you. I also want to take a minute and thank the Raadpensionaris for appointing me as bishop. I may be Castilian but my loyalty now lies with the greatest republic there ever is and was.
Scotland is an interesting target. I encourage you to vote for war but only if our allies support us. Alone we are not strong enough. Therefore, I suggest that you send me to Iberia to negotiate with the Castilian regency council. I may be able to convince them to join us in this military campaign.
Next to Castile, we need at least a second power that is willing to support us. Otherwise, I don't see us winning this war.
That is all, and excuse me for my broken Dutch. I am still trying to learn this difficult and complex language.

Tormentorre leaves the stage. Up next is the stadtholer of Arnheim, Albert Homburg.

Why are we always talking about war? I thought that we were a peaceful merchant republic. I am against this war. We need to focus on trade. All these war are bad for our reputation. Last week, one of my workers informed me that the English are no longer buying my cloth. This is unacceptable! Without peace, no prosperity! I instead propose that we shall not fight any more wars in the near future.
Our administration still has to core Ireland. What is this nonsene? We should not even consider a war against the Scottish at this point!
Homburg gave a very short speech full of anger. Maybe he was still upset that the Handelsgilde had vetoed the construction of a new marketplace in Arnhem?
The last speaker is a familiar face to many of the older delegates. It was no other than the republic's very first Raadpensionaris: Giselbert van Gogh! van Gogh, better known as Giselbert 'the Shy', is a supporter of total war. His legendary skills, 0/0/0, have not been forgotten.
Interestingly, van Gogh is 22 years younger than the current Raadpensionaris that has turned 66 last week.

Dear delegates,
we need to take advantage of the chaos in Europe. We cannot wait for our allies to be ready. We need to declare war now. At all costs. Conquering Scotland will increase our position in the North Sea Trade Node and therefore I encourage to vote for a total war against the Scottish now. We may need to take lots of loans to hire dozens of mercenary regiments but if we don't act now then it might be too late! I don't think we will get a second chance to invade the Scottish.

Think about the consequences of leaving this trade node to foreign competitors. We need to own it, control it, protect it.
I have made my choice long ago. How about you?
After van Gogh had finished his speech, von Schwelz addresses the Raad for a last time before it is time to vote.

Those were intense discussions. I give you 15 more minutes to make up your mind. Please no more discussions anymore and make sure to cast your vote in bold. I will be back for the counting of the votes in a few hours.
Thank you!

Time to vote

Option 1: Total war against Scotland. Now. At all costs.

Option 2: No war! We are peaceful merchants/Scotland and her allies are too strong for us.

Option 3: Let's prepare for war and declare war once at least two of our allies are willing to support us.

This is an urgent matter. Therefore, the poll closes on Wednesday 20:00 CEST.

Edit: Added two screenshots and more information.

Last edited:
Reactions:
wow that nice so far!

Im guessing exploration is going to be a strong contender for 2nd idea thanks to owing half of ire?

any ideas for next target countries on the chopping block?
Thanks!
Yes exploration will be our second idea group. We need to colonize North America before the English do :)

You need to colonize the new world ASAP. Nieuw Amsterdam settled at the greater colony of Nieuw Nederland is mandatory :D
I agree :)
Amsterdammer seefarers need to reach Greenland before anyone else. Our position in Ireland will surly help us.

Ja ! Oorlog tegen Schotland

(Yes, War against Scotland !)
Do you vote Option 1 or Option 3? Both are for war against Scotland.
Option 1 is for an immediate declaration of war
Option 3 says we will wait for our allies to join us.

Pleae edit your post and make it clear :)

I don't feel I have enough information to vote yet. You have indicated how weak Scotland is but I am unclear how busy France and Sweden are, how likely they are to actually join the war and how many transports they have each. Also, how big is Castile's debt? Could Amsterdam afford to give them money to pay it off and make them willing to join the war?

From what you have said, it sounds like it is pretty risky right now because France looks to be having no problems with England and so they will come and stomp on Amsterdam. Even with decent allies, it might be difficult to survive the Big Blue Blob. So, subject to any other information that changes things, I would say to wait for a better opportunity to take Scotland.

That said, what is England's situation? Their war exhaustion must be high because of their French occupations. How is their manpower and military strength looking? What is their fleet looking like? Maybe you can get a province or two from them? Make Meath the war goal and then just defend in Ulster so they have a strait crossing penalty from Ayrshire and you might be able to get a decent reward out of them and then be better placed to take Scotland later.

Reactions:
I don't feel I have enough information to vote yet. You have indicated how weak Scotland is but I am unclear how busy France and Sweden are, how likely they are to actually join the war and how many transports they have each. Also, how big is Castile's debt? Could Amsterdam afford to give them money to pay it off and make them willing to join the war?
I will edit the post with more information. I can see that it is difficult to make a good judgement call without knowing those facts. I'll post when I've edited the post.

From what you have said, it sounds like it is pretty risky right now because France looks to be having no problems with England and so they will come and stomp on Amsterdam. Even with decent allies, it might be difficult to survive the Big Blue Blob. So, subject to any other information that changes things, I would say to wait for a better opportunity to take Scotland.

That said, what is England's situation? Their war exhaustion must be high because of their French occupations. How is their manpower and military strength looking? What is their fleet looking like? Maybe you can get a province or two from them? Make Meath the war goal and the just defend in Ulster so they have a straight crossing penalty from Ayrshire and you might be able to get a decent reward out of them and then be better placed to take Scotland later.
The Big Blue Blob has all of its 34.000 men ready to fight and has no trouble whatsoever with England. More information to follow soon.

I think England's war exhaustion is high but I have no details. It's not possible for us to attack the English at the moment. They have four allies including Portugal and Sweden. I doubt we could beat them.

I will edit the post with more information. I can see that it is difficult to make a good judgement call without knowing those facts. I'll post when I've edited the post.

The Big Blue Blob has all of its 34.000 men ready to fight and has no trouble whatsoever with England. More information to follow soon.

I think England's war exhaustion is high but I have no details. It's not possible for us to attack the English at the moment. They have four allies including Portugal and Sweden. I doubt we could beat them.

If you look at the revolt risk for Meath that should tell you how much war exhaustion England has. As for their allies, for Portugal and Sweden to march all the way to you may not be that easy and so if they send small armies you may be able to pick them off. In the meantime, as I say, if you are patient and just sit in Meath (for ticking war score) and Ulster then you might have a decent chance.

Reactions:
  • The Scottish ally Sweden is doing well. Their navy is slightly larger than ours with a total of 21 ships. But it is stronger because of the 16 galleys in.
  • The Swedish have 14 regiments and their manpower reserves are high.
  • Castile has a debt of 444 ducats which decreases their likeliness of joining the war by -70. If Castile had no debt they would join us.
  • Danish manpower is only at 7530. If it recovers, the Danish will support us.
  • The Hansa will join us in a war iff we wait until February, 1462. The Hanseatic fleet is a joke and counts only 4 ships but their army is not be underestimated with 13.000 tough Germans fighting for them.

The above information was added to the original post.

If you look at the revolt risk for Meath that should tell you how much war exhaustion England has
Meath has 0% unrest. So maybe the English have no war exhaustion?! That would be unrealistic. Maybe they use diplomatic power to reduce it...?

Last edited:
If France and/or Sweden join the war on Scotland side, then
Option 3: Let's prepare for war and declare war once at least two of your allies are willing to support us.

Reactions:
If France and/or Sweden join the war on Scotland side, then
Yes, Sweden and France will both join Scotland if we were to declare war today.

Did you consider expanding in the continent instead of the British Isles?
Yes but there aren't many options. I want to conquer the Lowlands once Burgundy loses its PUs over it.
Friesland is a Free Imperial City and so conquering it will mean a big war against Sweden + the Emperor and his allies.
We have a truce with our other neighbors Münster and Cleves.