• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What do you guys think of this idea: Every chapter, I make a polandball comic showing the important events that happened, and at the end of the AAR I combine the comics and make one huge comic basically retelling the story.

Pros: Easier and faster to read than the chapter itself. And a fun read afterwards, for the people interested.
My drawing skill will improve, and it is a fun experience for me.

Cons: The comics will take a lot of time to make.

I will have to make 17 entire chapters of earlier story, and these will be less detailed than later ones, because I don't have unlimited time.

Agree if you think I should do it, disagree if you think I shouldn't do it.

EDIT: Will start drawing now, huge festival a couple of Kilometres from my house, can't sleep. It's 1:00 damnit! Let me sleep!

Last edited:
Reactions:
What do you guys think of this idea: Every chapter, I make a polandball comic showing the important events that happened, and at the end of the AAR I combine the comics and make one huge comic basically retelling the story.
Sounds like a fun idea! If you want to do it :)

Leaving this here in case of protestant league!

Issue 1: Iberia
Option 1: Keep Aragon as an ally!

Issue 2: France

Option 2: Prepare for war -(comment for both Issue 1 & 2) Aragon is more useful as an ally against the French at the moment as opposed to conquering them. Every single regiment counts against the baguette.

Issue 3: Idea Group

Option 2: Quantity Ideas - While more diplomats or better integration is also good, quantity ideas are needed for the increased manpower pool.

Issue 4: Policies

Option 1: Keep both policies enacted.

Issue 5: Religious League

Option 2: Join the Protestant League once we are ready to declare war. - Fighting the French will be exhausting and they are the bigger threat at the moment, otherwise I'd go with fighting the Religious Wars now.

Issue 6: Ceylon Trade Node

Option 1: Found a Trade Company in the Ceylon Trade Node

Reactions:
The prologue!

g3aZgiU.png

m5EHzs8.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
(comment for both Issue 1 & 2) Aragon is more useful as an ally against the French at the moment as opposed to conquering them. Every single regiment counts against the baguette.

Taking on the French will be an exhausting task so you could be right that we need every single available man to fight them.

Fighting the French will be exhausting and they are the bigger threat at the moment, otherwise I'd go with fighting the Religious Wars now.
Well, the Protestant League has not formed yet so even if option 1 would win we could not fight it now :) It seems like a good priority though, to fight the French first.

• I'm on my phone so I stole the formatting from a quote in the topic, I apologise.

Issue 1: Iberia

Option 1: Keep Aragon as an ally!

Aragon is no threat or competitor to us, and taking their land will not benefit us significantly either. Since we can't wage war indiscriminately with our resource limitations, this war is not worth it for now.

Issue 2: France
Option 2: Prepare for war

Ever since they turned hostile on us, the French have announced their selves to the world as an enemy of Amsterdam. We should take matters into our own hands and deal with them accordingly.

(Additionally I believe this option gives the most entertainment value for the AAR as well)

Issue 3: Idea Group
Option 2: Quantity Ideas

This idea group will resolve a whole bunch of our manpower problems and enhance force limits. It's also great cause it already pays off in its first two ideas. Additionally, the policy at the end that will allow for an extra colonist will be a great boon.
Issue 4: Policies
Option 1: Keep both policies enacted.

While I still don't believe that these policies are good value for their investment, you have made abundantly clear that you have an excess of monarch points even after dumping them in development. So you might as well. Recommend swapping out one if you would unlock the colonist policy.
Issue 5: Religious League
Option 2: Join the Protestant League once we are ready to declare war.

While I feel we don't have an ideological bone in this fight, we should use the Protestant League as a tool to weaken our enemies (such as happened in history). So for example, should France or a similar rival join the Catholics, we can use this coalition to further our goals. This does depend on the relative strengths of the leagues though, so should this option win I suggest you put it to another vote when the time comes around to declare or not.
Issue 6: Ceylon Trade Node
Option 1: Found a Trade Company in the Ceylon Trade Node

Ceylon will be the next link in our ever growing trade chain. We don't need complete dominance, just a good Base to forward eventual Indonesian trade to.

As an off-topic note, you have inspired me to start a new playthrough as Holland, where I'll form the Netherlands. Aim to get to the Sinaasappel achievement this time, last time I got bored before I got to Asia. I'll mess a lot more with Spain and England though, like you did. I need a bit more powerful nation after doing the Najdi Jihad. Which was fun, but it was alternating between scraping by in the beginning and this boring no challenge coming simulator at the end. Unfortunately I can't play this weekend as I'm visiting my parents.

0Oy1FLs.png

Reactions:
Assembly of the Raad of Amsterdam; 5 October, 1560 (Part II)

Delegates,
the results are in. My advisors have finished counting the votes and I am ready to announce them you.

The Raad has decided that Amsterdam shall prepare for war against the Frenchmen and keep Aragon as her ally. The war against France shall be declared within the next 10 years. The vote on this issue is unanimous.
A majority has also decided that Amsterdam shall choose Quantity Ideas as her next idea group. Only minority suggested to choose Influence Ideas.
Amsterdam will keep both active policies enacted. There was some division among the Raad on this matter but that is only natural.
Another big decision has been made concerning the religious division of the Holy Roman Empire. Once we are strong enough, we shall join the religious league on the Protestant side and lead it to victory, that is if this religious league will ever form.
I want to conclude this session but informing you that Amsterdam will establish an East India Trade Company in Ceylon. That is l for today! I hope you join us for the feast in the Old Hall.
Raadpensionaris von Werle leaves the stage and heads to the Old Hall.

Reactions:
I am caught up now! sort of.

Looking forward to your complete version. Sounds like an interesting idea to make a Polandball story out of this AAR
That IS the complete version! :p

As an off-topic note, you have inspired me to start a new playthrough as Holland, where I'll form the Netherlands. Aim to get to the Sinaasappel achievement this time, last time I got bored before I got to Asia. I'll mess a lot more with Spain and England though, like you did. I need a bit more powerful nation after doing the Najdi Jihad. Which was fun, but it was alternating between scraping by in the beginning and this boring no challenge coming simulator at the end. Unfortunately I can't play this weekend as I'm visiting my parents.
I wish you best of luck with Holland! They are in a tricky start situation being a PU under Burgundy.
Messing with the Europeans definitely makes things more fun :) Also invade Asia at some point like Amsterdam :p

I wish you best of luck with Holland! They are in a tricky start situation being a PU under Burgundy.
Messing with the Europeans definitely makes things more fun :) Also invade Asia at some point like Amsterdam :p

Meh, with the support independence it's not so bad. I won it without doing anything, France, England and Aragon all joined and it was a total walkover.

Reactions:
Chapter XVII - The Coast of Africa

Raadpensionaris Wolfard von Werle met with leading members of the Handelsgilde after nine additional caravels were built in the Low Countries. They decide to send them to the Zanzibar trade node to compete with merchants from Kilwa.
They also decide to reply 13.000 mercenaries in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. The invasion of India is near but it takes more than six months for the ships to reach Diego Garcia from Antwerp. The mercenaries made a stop on Madeira where another 3.000 men joined them.

A8nqy3W.png

When Enric I de Trastamara passed away, the royal marriage with Aragon expired. To ensure that the good relations between the Catholics of Aragon and the Church of Amsterdam continue to last, it was quickly restored.
The diplomatic corps was at loss at explaining the recent diplomatic faux pas of Amsterdam's ambassador to Aragon. This has spread through Western Europe fairly quickly and Amsterdam is being poked fun at by many. Diplomatic reputation suffers.

yx2uLCf.png

On 19 August, 1561, Amsterdam declares war on Mutapa, an African tribe in Central Africa. Their lands are said to be rich. Especially, the ivory that Mutapa has is highly valuable.
Mutapa fields an army of 19.000 brave African warriors which is not to be underestimated.
In September, the mercenaries arrive in Diego Garcia. From their they make their way to the Maldives to conquer them.

oiiLVG2.jpg

The Church of Amsterdam criticises that religious unity is too low in the Grand Republic. With only one missionary and a rather poor missionary strength, this is no surprise to anybody in the small council but what to do? Missionaries don’t fall from the sky and conquering Rome or one of the other holy cities is not an option at the moment.
General Gerben Nassau is in charge of the sell-swords who storm the Maldives.
At the Battle of Sena, the African warriors of Mutapa defeat the Amsterdammer forces. Unbelievable but this is only a temporary victory. von Werle is sure his troops will be victorious despite this setback.
The Maldives are annexed in February, 1562, after their province is occupied. Quite a short war. Their gold reserves of 202 ducats are shipped to the capital.

Z6Nyn8Q.jpg

New arrived in Amsterdam that House Trastamara won a war against Sardinia in which they annexed the island. Over the last few decades, Sardinia has changed hands many times. Naples, Florence, Sardinia and Aragon all owns it.
Leon suffers from a rebellion and 16.000 mercenaries are hired to fight the Castilian Separatists that are rampaging through Iberia.

ICB1jIT.png

The Handelsgilde suggests a full annexation of Mutapa is best. This eliminates a competitor in the Zanzibar trade node and gives the Handelsgilde access to rare ivory. The Grand Republic would also benefit from Mutapan gold provinces.
After the capital fell, this was only possible due to reinforcements that arrived in Central Africa to fight Mutapa, peace is made. Raadpensionaris von Werle follows the advice of the Handelsgilde and demands full annexation. The administration begins integrating the provinces immediately.
The Grand Republic has now access to the three former Mutapan gold mines.

Zc58KSg.png

The Habsburgs are being embargoed by Venice which leads to a trade war between the two parties. Austria declares this war at a time at which Venice is already embroiled in a war against the Ottomans. Venice is winning the war against the Turks but the declaration of war of Austria might make things more complicated for them.

jlhhY03.png

23 carracks and 16 transports bring Gerben Nassau and his mercenaries from the Maldives to the coast of Ceylon where they arrive on 29 May, 1563.
As soon as Gerben Nassau is ready, war is declared on Vijayanagar with the all-powerful overseas expansion casus belli.
Vijayanagar receives support from two of her allies. Together they field about 40.000 men; Nassau commands only over 16.000 sell-swords.

pKua9rw.png

Nassau lands with his forces on Ceylon. The island has three provinces but none of them has a fort so conquering them is a cake walk.
It turns out that France dishonored the alliance with Venice. Therefore, France is now ally-less. Maybe it is time to strike now? After all, this is what the Raad wants.
National focus changes from administrative to military on 26 June, 1563. This is a consequence of Amsterdam going way over her leader limit.

eje9NR7.png

By late August, the three provinces on Ceylon are occupied and General Nassau moves from Vanni over the narrow straits of the Comorin Cape to Madurai.
Nassau still has not met any resistance from Vijayanagar and her allies. What are they doing? Who knows and so Nassau and his troops continue the military campaign on the Indian Subcontinent.

3671ifW.jpg

On 14 October, 1563, Amsterdam is forced to hold an election for an new Raadpensionaris. Wolfard von Werle had been injured fighting Castilian Separatists and died early October.
The choice is between Simon von Saffenberg and and Steyn von Nordgau. At the end, the superior skills of Steyvn von Nordgau are decisive and von Nordgau is becomes the new Raadpensionaris.
von Nordgau is a rich merchant who favors colonial expansion over fighting wars in Europe. Therefore, he dispatches an army of mercenaries and sends them to them to Nieuw Brugge. From there they march to the border of Quito.

7Ra9jhH.png
gUcSxkB.png

qrUS66r.png

The mercenaries arrive in Caucau, a province near Quito in May, 1564 and a colonial conquest is declared on them shortly after. von Nordgau is planing to increase von Brugge's territory with additional province while the war for Ceylon is taking place in India.
In India, the first fort of Vijayanagar falls after 151 days. No battle has been fought though. Are they hiding? Is this a trap? General Nassau wasn't sure what to believe.

flG2VYq.png

dZiK0Z5.png

The Ottoman Emperor is imploding. Or at least so it seems. Venice has a positive war score of 83 in their current war. Furthermore, Wallachia Galicia-Volhynia and Karaman all declared offensive wars on them, too! The Ottomans lack strong allies that can support them. Payback for poor diplomacy? Could be, said that the Raadpensionaris in a small council meeting to the advisor team.
In October, 1564, the provinces that were taken from Mutapa become an integral part of the Grand Republic.

oaAjJq2.jpg

Amsterdam wins the first battle of the war against Vijayanagar on 1 November, 1564. Almost 9.000 defenders die at the Battle of Gingee.
The war with Quito is short. Their army is weak and they are also fighting pretender rebels. Full annexation is demanded on 22 February, 1565. All four provinces are given to Nieuw Brugge.

6V2lvHc.png

War taxes are renewed in July, 1565. Amsterdam has already over 1100 ducats in her treasury. These might be needed in a future war against France.
But is it time to fight France? On 15 September, 1565, Emperor Alexander II of House Habsburg officially rejected Protestantism. A horrible day for the Church of Amsterdam. The Evangelical Union is forming to counter the Emperor. A religious war could soon break out.
Austria, the Livonian Order, Naples, Riga and Poland are the first nations that join the Catholic League.
Saxony, the Palatinate and Burgundy are the first two countries that join the Protestant League.

dBfXRrF.png

Venice has beaten the Ottoman Empire severely. They are forced to cede seven provinces to Venice. Venice is now more than just a regional trading power.
Good news from Ceylon arrive in Amsterdam: The defending forces are retreating and the war is about to end!

OQPBcon.png

On 10 January, 1566, General Nassau signs a treaty with the maharaja of Vijayanagar. This treaty gives Amsterdam control of Ceylon. On top of that, four coastal provinces on the Indian Subcontinent are ceded, too. All seven provinces are used to found a a East India Trade Company for the Ceylon trade node.
Coring all seven provinces together costs less than 100 administrative power; yet they account for 95% overextension.

Xf32HJz.png

rPrIxBh.png

Amsterdam decided to build a castle in Leon's province Vizcaya in preparation for a war with France. Leon is happy that the Grand Republic cares for their safety. The construction time for these fortifications is about 30 months. Furthermore, claims are being fabricated on French provinces, including Paris.
Raadpensionaris von Nordgau is also preparing the army for a second war against Kilwa and her ally Marehan.
On 19 June, 1566, an official war declaration is sent to Kilwa. At the Battle of Bekedweyne, 11.000 tribesmen get killed by an outnumbered Amsterdammer army which lost less than 700 men. Superior discipline and weapons are the key to victory in this war.
The army is ready for a war with France but unfortunately, the French have found new allies with the Habsburgs and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany! A worrying development.

UPE1BS7.png

A little more than one year later, Kilwa and Marehan are annexed in the Treaty of Mozambique. Amsterdam now controls every coastal province from the Cape of Good Hope to Hobyo, Horn of Africa. Especially, the Handelsgilde is highly pleased by these conquests.
Consequently, Amsterdam is the only trade power in the Zanzibar trade node which means that the Handelsgilde no longer needs to send her merchant marine to patrol that trade node. The 9 carvels that used to protect Amsterdammer trade interests in Zanzibar are sent the Gulf of Aden instead.
Controlling the entire Zanzibar trade node allows Amsterdam to steer even more trade from Ceylon and the Gulf of Aden home to the Channel.

F0QnICK.png

Reactions:
Chapter XVIII - The Conquest of Paris

The term of Raadpensionaris von Nordgau ends on 18 October, 1567. An influential noble replaces him. It is no other than Adriaen von Schack who enjoyed a good education in Antwerp and later in Berlin.
France gets involved in a war against the Pope who has declared war on Tuscany. Is it time to strike already? Not yet, says von Schack

G8y468b.png

Amsterdam holds some colonies in Australia. To better administrate them, they are organized into a colonial nation. Nieuw Middelburg is born.
von Schlack travels to Venezia where he meets the Serene Doge of Venice, BrunoCassandro. They sign an alliance even though Venice has no interest in supporting a military campaign against France.
The war with France gets postponed further because von Schlack hopes that the French will lose some manpower fighting the Papal State.

z2hWmRm.png

Well, the French beat the crap out of the Papal State - the French armies seemed invincible. Maybe things are changing though because the Pope called Venice into the war! This is odd, given that Venice has no interest in supporting an Amsterdammer war against France.
On 21 August, 1568, Amsterdam researched military technology 13 and paid a small ahead of time penalty but the French were already at military tech 13. Beating them requires on-par military technology.

eHcK32i.png

11.000 mercenaries are waiting for further orders in Picardie. An army of 16.000 men is in Leon's province Vizcaya. More reinforcements are on their way from Africa.
The Amsterdammer navy is ready to blockade the port of Poitou. Is it time to strike? It is! On 11 September, 1568, the Grand Republic invades France. The mercenaries march on Paris which is also the war goal of the war.
Brandenburg and Aragon side with Amsterdam; Tuscany and Austria support the French.

EV4ucxK.png

It appears as the defenders are outnumbered when looking at the numbers but Amsterdam's armies are around the world. Some are in Africa, others in the Americas. Not every Amsterdammer is fighting the French.
Raadpensionaris von Schlack leads the Siege of Bayonne, Labourd. Two months after the decollation of war, the walls of Bayonne are breached and after 51 days the siege is won. From Bayonne, von Schlack marches with his army on Pau, Bearn.

USeJJ87.png

While the war in France is going on, General von Rügen has been given the orders to expand Goud Mond's territory by declaring more colonial wars. The first target is Mixtec and her weak ally Tlaxcala. The war is declared on 21 December, 1568. It is a risky move to start a second war while fighting the Fench but no risk; no fun.
Scottish troops land in Normandie. They are actively involved in this war which is very important. Amsterdam needs many, many men to fight the French.
The sell-swords which are besieging Paris have good news for the Raadpensionaris: Paris fell after 163 days!

TO85Pha.png

At the Battle of Dingle Bay, the French Navy is sunk. None of their ships surived the battle. How foolish of the French not to park it in a port.
Tlaxcala, the ally of Mixtec is annexed in May, 1569. They only controlled one province so conquering them was quite easy. Mixtec is far larger than that. The province is given to Goud Mond.
Austrian forces are as foolishly as the French navy. The Austrians attack an army that is besieging Bearn. Bearn is a hilly province which gives Amsterdam and Leon an advantage to hold out for as long as reinforcements from Aragon arrive. Together they crush the Austrian army brutally.

xZQHajh.png

French and Tuscan forces defeat Scotland's army that is trying to occupy Normandie. A setback but not a major one.
The colonial conquest of Mixtec ends three months after Tlaxcala became a part of Goud Mond with their full annexation.
On 4 Jnauary, 1570, Amsterdam reached administrative technology 14 and unlocks her fourth idea group. Quantity Ideas are chosen. The delegates of the Raad of Amsterdam are pleased to see that the Raadpensionaris did as he was asked to do.
The following month, diplomatic technology advances to level 14, too.

Tl16tEC.png

h7Oe8EY.png

Both sides win some battles. The difference is that Amsterdam is also occupying fortified provinces while fighting battles whereas France and the Habsburgs are solely concentrating on fighting battles. An important battle is fought once again in Normandie. This time between Brandeburg and Amsterdam against France and Tuscan. The attackers are outnumbered but victory is achieved. Lots of casualties for both.
A scout from Venice arrives with good news in April in Amsterdam. He brings a letter in which the Serene
Doge of Venice agrees to support Amsterdam in her ongoing war against France and the Habsburgs! A call to arms is sent immediately. The Venetians prepare their armies for battle and march on Trent in Südtirol.

lGZmbhw.png

General on Rügen is ready to continue Amsterdam's colonial conquest of Mexico. The next target after Mixtec is Tarascan. von Rügen takes advantage of a mothballed fort in Cutzamala and occupies it in no time at all. This could become another quick war.
Meanwhile reports reach Amsterdam that the European beaver populations are slowly depleting. The demands for furs has been constantly rising since the Middle Ages. Beavers are becoming rarer and rarer to see in Europe. Most fur is now imported from Muscovy. Much to the displease of the Handelsgilde.
The war against Tarascan turned out to be indeed a quick one. On 4 August, 1570, the four provinces were all occupied and consequently annexed. Goud Mond is very happy that their realm keeps increasing in size.

HqEKJeT.png

In January, 1571, the Netherlands declare independence. Burgundy could not subjugate them any longer. Amsterdam certainly won't join this Dutch federation. The Netherlands must die. Spies are sent to Loon to fabricate a claim on their province after the Netherlands have claimed most of Amsterdam's home territory!
Austria pays some monetary reparations and is thereby forced out of the war. This increases the war score with France to 65%.

YWejGiN.png

rr4lk3n.png

The Ottoman Empire completes westernization in March, 1571. This could be doomsday for Europe if the Ottomans manage to recover. They have been beaten severely by Venice and Galicia-Volhynia.
Interestingly, the Ottomans join the Protestant League shorty after completing westernization but so far the Catholic League highly outnumbers the Protestant League even though Aragon and Muscvoy have sided with the Protestants.

U60Z5t5.png

Tuscany accepts a white peace offer from Amsterdam in April. This on top of annihilating their army bumps the war score with France to 97%.
Charles IX de Valois sends diplomats to Straßburg, Alsace, where they meet an Amsterdammer delegation. They negotiate a treaty in which France loses her capital as well as a few other provinces. Charles IX signs the treaty on 9 April, 1571, and the war comes to an end with a crushing victory!
Amsterdam now sits at 100% overextension but controlling Paris is definitely worth this!

eqgksUp.png

Europe in 1571

7ranRdZ.jpg

yAubpho.jpg

euKTtGA.jpg

Reactions:
So a lot of things happened in those ten years and because I took a lot of screenshots, I had to split the chapter into two :p

A few comments
I am quite happy that the conquest of the West African coast was not that difficult after all. We still need to conquer the African provinces that border the Atlantic but we'll get to that eventually.
The war with France was declared rather later and not in the beginning of the chapter because Amsterdam was busy elsewhere. Now that I look back at it, I think it would have been better to declare war on the French first. The involvement of the Austrians and Tuscans was a bit annoying.
We also founded an East India Trade Company which we can use as a base for further conquests in India and the rest of Asia.

I am currently debating whether Amsterdam should leave the HRE before we fight the religious war (we will fight the religious war because the Raad has decided that in its last assembly). We have more than 1.000 development which means that we can become Empire rank. What do you guys think about that?

Reactions:
What? You didn't go with a 0/0/0 ruler? I can't believe it!

Edit: Also, some of us told you to go to war with France straight away ... ;)

On the League War, I would say leave the Empire now and get those benefits of the increased rank. You can't be emperor anyway and I'm pretty sure you don't need to be in the Empire to benefit from the Protestant a Empire benefits but that is a triggered modifier so you can check it in game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I've got to say, the Empire of Amsterdam has a certain ring to it... With a bit of luck you can pummel France before the truce comes off in the religious league. Your war seemed way too easy though, kind of a letdown... But good job I guess!

Nice progress, as usual. Last chapter title was a total spoiler though :p

Reactions:
If Amsterdam isn't annexing annexing Scotland soon, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of making Scotland a march? I point that after turning back a march to vassal there is −200 relations hit, relations penalty is recovered at a base recovery rate of 2 per year.
With influence ideas and the policy there is -45% discount cost for diplo-annexing vassal, does administrative efficiency reduce the cost of diplo-annexation?
Can Amsterdam annex Scotland without influence ideas and another diplomat?
Sorry for the numerous questions.

Reactions: