• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Edited my votes. Pretty certain these are all within the time frames...
Thank you, @Smokez83 , and your votes are now recorded. :)

To all -

Just finished the current tabulation as my days are about to get busy and I can say that a ton of races are so close as to change with the next vote. Some within percentages! Very few categories are runaway votes and some undervoted categories may need to be tweaked the next time around, but also remain close due to said undervote. There are 4 days left as of today to get your votes in if you have marked a placeholder or want to change your vote (but for both - please let me know if you do so!) And for anyone shy about the process...please do not be! Your vote counts...every one! There remain multiple categories (each of which has had a good number of votes) that are "too close to call" at this date. ;)

I urge anyone that has put it off or did not think to vote until now to give yourself the next four days and place in your marker. It will matter for the voting and will most certainly be appreciated by the writers of these works! And the sheer number of works? :eek::D Amazing! :cool:

So, vote, vote, vote! We are almost there! :)

One last reminder - voting ends on February 11! I'm happy to accept any vote or change in vote on that day, but once passed this period is a thing done. I will finalize the tabulations and soon after begin announcements of the winners. Again - many tight races! 2 days left! Support your local writAAR! :D

Aaaand...pencils down. :D

Voting for the 2018 Year End AwAARds is now over. Any new changes or added votes will not be counted for the tabulation. 18 total voters have participated in the various categories and their votes have yielded some interesting results. I will be finalizing the tabulations over the next many days and may have one to announce at a forum near you very soon. :D

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time over these last three months to support your favorite works and authAARs and I am certain that they thank you as well!

As always, I am certainly interested in hearing feedback on how this round went and/or what changes might be made in future to ensure that we have the best possible reward mechanism that we can. As in voting and all else...your voice counts! :)

EDIT -

I should also make note one more time as to how the accounting for this is done. You were allowed 6 slots per category. What you list as #1 gets a weighted vote of 1.6. What you list as #6 gets a weighted vote of 1.1. Those in between slot into place - 1.6 down to 1.1. If you only listed one work then it still got a weight of 1.6. This allows for every vote listed to get an initial vote of 1 plus the small weight to help sort between them and avoid ties. It seemed to work last year and has done so again, while also providing for some tight races.

Last edited:
And that is a wrap, folks! The 2018 Yearly AAR Year-end AwAARds are complete and we have our full list of winners. If you have somehow missed the announcement threads, please check the first post of this thread which lists them and will give you links to both these works and the announcement of each. I was quite pleased to find that we had no repeat winners this year (although @Gamer_1745 won the LP category again, it was for a different AAR.) I think that is a good sign of forum health and diversity of opinion. As well, the appreciation was fairly well spread around between the various games. Really only Vickie 2 was shut out (for possible reasons I will mention below.) HoI and CK were certainly well represented, but we saw wins for EU4 and Stellaris included. I think this also shows that one subforum does not necessarily have a lock on AARs even if CK2 seems more active at times.

The voting numbers were slightly lower than last year which is a little disappointing. I'm not quite sure how to rectify this as I put stickies in each of the major games that are active and bumped them a few times throughout the process. As well, I ran the vote for longer than originally planned so we might get a large enough sample size to make an effect. CK and HoI saw plenty of voters as well as fans of Stellaris, however few EU and Vic players/writers ventured over to add their voice which I believe does skew the vote a bit. I'd love to raise awareness of this by next year's contest somehow. I know we discussed possibly doing the reveal in the podcast but the timing just did not work. We will certainly discuss it the next time we meet but then many months will go by so who knows if it will remain in people's mind. I would encourage all, the next time, to please let your readers know about it and give them a link. Every eye helps as that means another potential voter and the larger the vote, the more accurate the result. And it is not campaigning if you simply ask them to vote. I always say - you don't have to vote for mine, but please vote. :)

That said, the sheer number of works suggested and nominated remain astounding. For AAR of the year, 52 different AARs were mentioned! For most other categories as well, a good many AARs were listed which means that we continue to have a thriving community for writAARs and the readAARs who love them. Individuals who worked on multiple AARs throughout the year saw most if not all of them mentioned, which may have helped split their vote at times, but even there they found some reward when it came time to vote for WritAAR of the Year - @Bullfilter won it, @Eurasia placed a strong 3rd and @mackwolfe showed a very strong placement. These are just a few.

Of the categories that did not find a heavy vote - MP/Interactive and Let's Play - while we did find winners here, the lack of voters was somewhat telling. I include them because I consider them as worthy as any other attempt at creating an AAR (and I know that a certain subsection enjoys them quite a lot) but if people are skipping that category then we likely need to find a different way to do it. I don't want to take them out of the consideration so I can only think of a couple of ways going forward:

- combine them into one category

or

- create some "other" category

A suggestion was made to offer a brief idea of what each category is looking at and while definitions are often different between each member, I will do that the next time around. However, if LPers (for example) are not getting into the fun of the vote, I don't see how it will improve that number. And with the 2nd option of the above, I see a lot of hybrid AARs possible getting voted on which is really what AAR of the Year represents. I certainly will appreciate and consider any suggestions offered as to how to improve this.

More to that, I am curious if there are any other categories that we might miss? I sometimes think a Fan of the Year might be good, but then we all know that @stnylan will win it every year so we might as well crown him now and do away with the formalities. ;)

On a personal note, I hope that no one is bothered or disconcerted that twice now I am found myself winner in these awAARds. Having won writAAR last year and a few in this year's vote, it is always a bit uncomfortable when the result comes out that way because I started this to help foster community spirit and reward deserving AARs from all over (and in truth, I would still like an award for completed AARs as we used to do because it is such an achievement.) I promise you that I take the accounting for this very seriously and hope that I have developed the best way to consider the nominations. That said, I am very receptive if anyone has a better idea of how to do it. I want it fair at all times with each nomination given full worth. Is six slots too many? I'd ask if not enough, but I cannot handle more than that in the counting. It takes a while to tally (and especially when I have to go search for the link...I plead again, please provide the link! ;) )

Overall I think this year has been a success. I believe the process of going back and looking for and at works done throughout the year rewarding for both voter and nominee alike. Whether completed or ongoing (even if just brief), having an AAR mentioned here hopefully makes one feel invited and appreciated which is really the true goal. The (non-existent) statue is just something to put on a shelf. :D

As I have said throughout the reveal process, I want to thank everyone that took the time to offer their vote and help make this a thing worth doing every year. Traditions must start somewhere and 2 years in...not bad at all. I look forward to our 3rd annual "ceremony" so start keeping an eye on works you might wish to include come next year. Congratulations to all the winners and everyone mentioned and once again...well done, AARland! :)

Thank you for this comprehensive wrap-up, and again, for organising this event. My 2 cents on your proposals:

I'm not sure Interactive and Let's Plays should be in the same category. You could make an argument for streaming and interactive to be in the same category (high fan interaction), but video AARs are something different entirely, more akin to narrative or graphical AARs
I suspect the reason that these Let's plays don't get many votes, is that they are streams on twitch, or uploaded to youtube, which is where most of their fans consume them. That means that unless the AuthAAR / let's playAAR explicitly mentions in his video/stream that there is a yearly awAARd event going on on the forum (with a link in the description), most fans won't even be aware that this is going on as they probably don't or rarely visit the forum. (this is just a theory, I might be wrong). There is a ton of Paradox game content on youtube, much of which is not even mentioned on this forum, they seem to be relatively separate ecosystems, some creators will advertise on the forum, but the majority don't seem to do so. All the more to @Gamer_1745 's credit.

I don't see the need for a special category for hybrid AARs. My AAR is a bit of a hybrid, with gameplay, narrative, and interactive elements, and I was very happy to see it nominated in all three of these categories. Being nominated in different categories is its own reward, and I'm definitely grateful for everyone who voted for mine and other AARs

I love the idea of a 'completed category, though I guess we'd have to clearly define 'completed'. The more lenient definition would be an AAR which was wrapped up in some way even if the initial premise wasn't completed, a stricter one would be to define 'completion' as either reaching the game's end date or completing whatever goal was set out at the start. Or we could just let the readAARs define it themselves as was already the case for the other categories.

I have no issues with your wins, you're very transparent about the voting and counting process, and you clearly have many devout readAARs who voted for your work. While I'm sadly not familiar with your work, I'm sure it's qualitative, if only for the number of readAARs who took the time to vote for it. Congratulations again for your awAARds.

I will gladly take part again next year.

Only AARs posted here on the forums should qualify IMHO, else it quickly gets a mess to keep track of. :)

Really a topic for the main thread (so we don't take way from the deserved congrats for our winner here) but two quick points:

1.) The "purge" was not so much a purge but a better definition of the rules. Old school Interactive AARs tended to get out of hand in a hurry. They are still very much allowed but require a tight hand. Mildly interactive is definitely eligible for this and I will make certain to say so when next we do this again.

2.) As @Nikolai suggests above - only works posted here in AARland are eligible. Nothing wrong with posting AARs somewhere else, but why would you? Isn't this the best place for it? :) We've only built AARland from the ground up over 18 years. ;)

[And again - I'd rather this particular discussion be in the main voting thread.]

Bringing this over from the MP/LP Award thread to continue discussion:

I wholeheartedly agree with @Nikolai that we restrict it to the boards. I brought it up because they never posted here (despite my encouragements to the contrary) and that might recommend going out to Reddit and posting about it if you find a good one that should be brought over. I'd encourage it, in fact, because they can post and get out of hand out there and not here on the boards. It would of course be contingent upon them actually being good with controlling the crossover.

To @coz1 's point regarding the getting out the vote efforts: perhaps just an image--doesn't have to be ornate or large, but something that catches the eye--that says voting for whichever batch of awards is open, with them being able to be reused with minor alterations could be posted in the authAAR's threads with something akin to what I did which was "If you enjoy my AAR and wish to do so, here's the correctly formatted vote (blah)" for the thread.

I decided to gin something like what I'd recommend up:

i2ZFn5q.jpg

TO VOTE FOR THIS AAR, COPY THE LINE BELOW:
Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts, by @Wraith11B

GO TO THE VOTING THREAD HERE
AND CAST YOUR BALLOTS!
Thus, everyone gets a visual reminder, and we make it as easy as possible to cast ballots. I can't recall how often I've been reading through an AAR, but making the votes is hard with the formatting. I know now that if I can copy paste the link, they will still work, thus the voter doesn't need to go hunting down everything (though I'd assume that we're all computer literate, the intricacies to neat votes could be something that others might not be familiar with).

Thank you for this comprehensive wrap-up, and again, for organising this event. My 2 cents on your proposals:

I'm not sure Interactive and Let's Plays should be in the same category. You could make an argument for streaming and interactive to be in the same category (high fan interaction), but video AARs are something different entirely, more akin to narrative or graphical AARs
I suspect the reason that these Let's plays don't get many votes, is that they are streams on twitch, or uploaded to youtube, which is where most of their fans consume them. That means that unless the AuthAAR / let's playAAR explicitly mentions in his video/stream that there is a yearly awAARd event going on on the forum (with a link in the description), most fans won't even be aware that this is going on as they probably don't or rarely visit the forum. (this is just a theory, I might be wrong). There is a ton of Paradox game content on youtube, much of which is not even mentioned on this forum, they seem to be relatively separate ecosystems, some creators will advertise on the forum, but the majority don't seem to do so. All the more to @Gamer_1745 's credit.

I don't see the need for a special category for hybrid AARs. My AAR is a bit of a hybrid, with gameplay, narrative, and interactive elements, and I was very happy to see it nominated in all three of these categories. Being nominated in different categories is its own reward, and I'm definitely grateful for everyone who voted for mine and other AARs

I love the idea of a 'completed category, though I guess we'd have to clearly define 'completed'. The more lenient definition would be an AAR which was wrapped up in some way even if the initial premise wasn't completed, a stricter one would be to define 'completion' as either reaching the game's end date or completing whatever goal was set out at the start. Or we could just let the readAARs define it themselves as was already the case for the other categories.

I have no issues with your wins, you're very transparent about the voting and counting process, and you clearly have many devout readAARs who voted for your work. While I'm sadly not familiar with your work, I'm sure it's qualitative, if only for the number of readAARs who took the time to vote for it. Congratulations again for your awAARds.

I will gladly take part again next year.

I love me some two ducats! :) My initial instinct was never to include MPs/Interactive along with Let's Plays/Video. In fact, I tend to think that MP AARs are far different than Interactive AARs. It is only that I did not think enough would vote for them alone that I included them together (and now the current consideration.) That we see so few voting for them now creates the quandary. I will state definitively that I will not venture out to reddit or youtube or any other platform to give notice to these awards. I've spent nearly every day since I was 27/28 here and now I am 46. I never had trouble locating what I was looking for and if one cannot find it, or does not wish to post here, that is on them and not us. Call it old school or old man unwilling to change, but there it is. This is AARland. Youtube and all others should come to us. :D

I will take a look at completed and glad to see another interested in that. I need to "define" all categories when we do this again, I think. And awesome to hear that you enjoyed this and are ready for the next one. Coming soon in only 8 months. :D

Bringing this over from the MP/LP Award thread to continue discussion:

I wholeheartedly agree with @Nikolai that we restrict it to the boards. I brought it up because they never posted here (despite my encouragements to the contrary) and that might recommend going out to Reddit and posting about it if you find a good one that should be brought over. I'd encourage it, in fact, because they can post and get out of hand out there and not here on the boards. It would of course be contingent upon them actually being good with controlling the crossover.

To @coz1 's point regarding the getting out the vote efforts: perhaps just an image--doesn't have to be ornate or large, but something that catches the eye--that says voting for whichever batch of awards is open, with them being able to be reused with minor alterations could be posted in the authAAR's threads with something akin to what I did which was "If you enjoy my AAR and wish to do so, here's the correctly formatted vote (blah)" for the thread.

I decided to gin something like what I'd recommend up:

i2ZFn5q.jpg

TO VOTE FOR THIS AAR, COPY THE LINE BELOW:
Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts, by @Wraith11B

GO TO THE VOTING THREAD HERE
AND CAST YOUR BALLOTS!
Thus, everyone gets a visual reminder, and we make it as easy as possible to cast ballots. I can't recall how often I've been reading through an AAR, but making the votes is hard with the formatting. I know now that if I can copy paste the link, they will still work, thus the voter doesn't need to go hunting down everything (though I'd assume that we're all computer literate, the intricacies to neat votes could be something that others might not be familiar with).
First of all, an awesome graphic. I might steal that. :D

2nd, I've got no problem with such a thing as long as folks are not actively campaigning for themselves. We've run into problems with that in the past and that (by itself) is to be avoided. However, gaining views towards the vote is the thing required so some way to do that would be helpful, to be sure. Ease of voting is a good idea, thought outside of giving the template, I'm not sure how. One must still look up links for what you wish to honor. The best way to vote for someone is to look up their AAR, highlight the AAR name and then copy and paste the link. It's worked for a number of years and how I do it still. (Then again, I read the forums differently than most these days, I think. I just look at each page. I don't count on alerts.)

And to reiterate, I have no issue with anyone writing or practicing outside of our confines. That said, if one wishes to be included in what we do, they need to include themselves. I'm not an employee of Paradox (though I used to work for them for free and still do in a manner of speaking) but I feel very strongly that those that do only deal with what is posted here. Moderating is not easy and this forum is enough. What goes on elsewhere is reddits's trouble or some other. I am happy to run these. I am not venturing out to some other forum/website to count votes and I damn well won't do it for someone that refuses to join here. Their loss, our gain. The internet has changed since 2002, but those are my two ducats and I know where I like to spend my time. :)

I totally understand the point of view. I'm definitely on board with keeping our lives easier to not go out into the wider world of the internet trying to find more of these AARs that don't feel like posting here.

If you want, I'll send over how I made it (in piktochart) and everything. I think that took me a grand total of maybe ten minutes from start to post.

I totally understand the point of view. I'm definitely on board with keeping our lives easier to not go out into the wider world of the internet trying to find more of these AARs that don't feel like posting here.
I didn't mean to imply that you, @coz1 , should go out onto other websites to look for other (audiovisual) works, only to provide a probable explanation as to why these audiovisual categories were underrepresented. These awAARds are for what's on this website only, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. However, I did mean to imply that it was in the interest of both streamers, and video artists, (those who aren't already doing so) to post their work to this forum, and participate in these kinds of events. Many don't know what they're missing out on, and that's definitely their loss, as this forum is amongst the top results if you search any paradox game on google (4th for HOI3). It's not rocket science to figure out that this website exists and that potential viewers, with a pre-existing interest in the game you play, frequent it...

I did not think either of you did. ;) I just wanted to make it clear how much I do NOT wish to bow down to these other platforms. They know we exist. They just choose not to participate. They should, but they don't. I like to think that I am an ambassador of AARland, and I will champion it always, but I don't venture to these others to sing praises. If invited, I would do so, but I'm not going to go out and try to pull them to us. This Field of Dreams was built long ago, so they should come. :D

On a personal note, I hope that no one is bothered or disconcerted that twice now I am found myself winner in these awAARds. Having won writAAR last year and a few in this year's vote, it is always a bit uncomfortable when the result comes out that way because I started this to help foster community spirit and reward deserving AARs from all over (and in truth, I would still like an award for completed AARs as we used to do because it is such an achievement.)

I'm pretty much a silent reader on these forums but felt compelled to comment on the above (not that I have any authority here it must be said). Your AARs are fantastic and any awAArds you win I have no doubt are absolutely on merit and take nothing away from the other nominees, you are magnanamous in victory and in your comments humbly deflect the praise onto other AARs. Looking around this forum, for the brief time I've been 'actively inactive', I'm struck by the sense of community, positivity and endevour which you foster within these forums.

Congrats to all winners, all were gentlemen because they replied to commentAARs - unfortunely this thing missing in online communities, I was a ardent reader back in autumn and I am first which make first completed list with nominations but I am not so active because I renew my passion for classic rock - anyway I remains part of AARland as a silent presence. A good day, ladies and gentlemen!

The AAR(s) getting the most votes over all seperate categories could simply receive a Most Versatile AwAARd, rather than creating yet another category one needs to/may vote on?

I'm pretty much a silent reader on these forums but felt compelled to comment on the above (not that I have any authority here it must be said). Your AARs are fantastic and any awAArds you win I have no doubt are absolutely on merit and take nothing away from the other nominees, you are magnanamous in victory and in your comments humbly deflect the praise onto other AARs. Looking around this forum, for the brief time I've been 'actively inactive', I'm struck by the sense of community, positivity and endevour which you foster within these forums.

If anything, I'll be bothered if you didn't get nominated and rewAARded. ;)
You both are very kind and thank you! While I am proud of my work and certainly will not turn down an award for it, I do tend to feel a bit sheepish when something I am running sees me get reward over someone else. I don't actively campaign because the works speaks for itself, I hope. I'm always deeply honored by the following and comments and I feel the need to make certain that I do this kind of project for everyone and not just me. (We touched a little on it in the last podcast, but there were times when motives were questioned and I wish to be very clear and open with all.)

The AAR(s) getting the most votes over all seperate categories could simply receive a Most Versatile AwAARd, rather than creating yet another category one needs to/may vote on?
That's an interesting idea (though it would create more accounting for me in the long run.) We certainly had quite a few that crossed over between genres. I will tinker with that.

However, my goal is not to create more categories per se. I'd like the ones we vote on to be ones people want to vote on. It's not easy (as anyone who has tried this knows) and I want it to be as simple AND as rewarding as possible. I am really more interested right now about how to handle LPs, MPs and Interactive works. I think they deserve a seat at the table, but it's a pretty small table if you look at the vote. All of the other categories had a sound vote but these did not (in my mind.) So...to include them all together? Get rid of them entirely? Something other?

LP's do tend towards a separate following, on those boards where they're posted instead of here. I think that unless you are willing to advertise and recruit on those platforms, voter turnout in that particular category will remain low. In my opinion incorporating LP's on this forum is a lost cause.

Congratulations to all winners! :)

LP's do tend towards a separate following, on those boards where they're posted instead of here. I think that unless you are willing to advertise and recruit on those platforms, voter turnout in that particular category will remain low. In my opinion incorporating LP's on this forum is a lost cause.
So one vote to discontinue that category. ;) (Kidding, sir. :p You know that I know that your position sees the trends. :D)

Really hope that some others chime in with some thoughts on the matter. We've got months ahead of us, but I want to all be on the same page by the time we get there. :) It was a good run for 2018. I want 2019 to be even better. :cool:

Interactive I think suffers because there aren't any purely interactive AARs any-more. So any AAR that does have interactive elements will always be eligible for another category, which is where people vote for it. Maybe a bit more highlighting what is eligible for the Interactive category would help, but maybe so would understanding what it is that the category is supposed to be rewarding.

I agree with Qorten that Video / LP is a lost cause, there are vibrant communities of people making and supporting Video AARs they just aren't here and have no real reason to be here. If you have to post the video on YouTube anyway, and there's a huge community and comment facility right there, why would you need to come here?

But if we insist on including them, then maybe the model is the Quarterly Awards "Other" category. Knock together a few into an annual "Other" Category where LP / Video, MP and Interactive can get dropped in along with Hybrid AARs and anything else that people like but aren't sure how to categorise.

I echo @El Pip and his recommendation for an other category for those that have more liberal interpretations for categories. For instance, how many megacampaigns are there around? The amount of time it would take to get them sorted seems to limit the number of people willing to go and do it.