• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I am going to reveal a little differently than I did last year. I will blame slightly your very long AAR titles. ;) Only so many characters allowed in a thread title and perhaps this makes it a bit more suspenseful. :D

For Comedy AAR of the Year, we saw 15 different voters list 17 different AARs across most of our games. Of the ones still active, only Victoria 2 was shut out (which is a bit of a theme this year and you can blame those writAARs and readAARs for not voting. :p ) Hearts of Iron 3 and 4 are heavily represented and even Rome gets a shout out!

This was a very tight race! The difference between the winner and 2nd place is only 0.2 points! If I rounded it would be a tie! :eek: But I don't and so...

Your 2018 Comedy AAR of the Year is -

Started late in the year but quickly becoming adored, this work was voted on by 8 different voters and stood neck and neck for these past three months with our second place finisher. Because it was so close, I feel the need to single this one out as well...your silver medal winner goes to...

Again, 0.2 points is what separates these two works and this also gained 8 voters! Our other works listed in descending order are:

Suenik Reloaded by @iain_a_wilson (CK2)

Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia (CK2)

The Ottoman Empire Strikes Back on Kaiserreich by @Lord Kaiser (HoI4)

Arsenal of Technology: A Hearts of Iron 3 AAR [USA] [HPP] by @nuclearslurpee (HoI3)

American AAR : AI Experiments In HoI3 by @Eurasia (HoI3)

My cup of coffee - Yemen will protect the Secret - VH by @Dominion (EU4)

“Bitter Fruit” a TFH-AAR by @markkur (HoI3)

Hopping around, or how to destroy your previous work by @Sfan (EU4)

Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR) by @Bullfilter (EU:Rome)

The Red Crown: a sAARdinian Tale by @Prominences (CK2)

The search for warmer waters - Chukchi WC 1.24.1 (very hard) by @Pureanger (EU4)

The Animal Farm (but with bears) by @OrenjiiroTsuki (CK2)

Emperor of Chin...ook?! - Kill Ming as Chinook 1.25.1 (very hard) by @Pureanger (EU4)

Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter (HoI3)

The Führer Goes Nuts! (again) by @Lordban (HoI4)​

Just an embarrassment of riches and so many great works! Extra kudos should likely go to @Bullfilter , @Eurasia and @Pureanger for placing multiple AARs on this list and as we see, they run the gamut between Rome all the way to HoI (both versions!) Only Vickie gets left from the dance (again...she did not attend. Perhaps she was not amused. :D ) [Forgot - Stellaris also not represented but surely they remain funny in the future. ;) ]

The comedy AAR has a rich tradition here in AARland and everyone of you should be proud that you continue to hold that banner high! Some of you might not even consider your work comedic, but some others did and thus your vote. :) Whatever you are doing, it is working and all of us thank you for taking the time and effort to work in a surely difficult arena that is comedy. It is often said...it is harder than dramatic because tastes run wild and crafting a good joke is far more difficult than pitting two people against each other in conflict. Well done, each and every one!

So come one, come all...let us toast these great works and writAARs for this past years work! Congratulations to our winner and to every one of you!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who won and who took part in the voting!

Great job!! I'm glad that one of our newer members managed to secure the nod. Not that I don't love @El Pip 's works and all, but it is always good to see fresh blood!

Congratulations @Heroes&Weirdos , your AAR was short, but so much fun. It's something of a coincidence, but not too long before discovering your AAR, I had been pondering the possibility of writing an AAR made up entirely of propaganda paper articles. And then I found yours, made up entirely of propaganda comics. I sincerely hope this awAARd will motivate you to return to entertain us once more with your refreshing comic-book style, or any other style you see fit...

Congrats @Heroes&Weirdos - Kim’s adventures were (for an AAR) short, sharp and very funny! Plus some great graphics. @El Pip your very worthy second place is one for sustained and very clever sardonic humour at a more leisurely pace - Inevitable Defeat has been a wonderful and much awaited addition to many an AAR reader’s little red alerts for a long time now. @iain_a_wilson your Suenik tale was a riotous and dystopian journey into a whacky world of amusingly horrible people stumbling hopelessly through the chaotic CK2 world: a very worthy Bronze Medal.

Thanks to those who gave votes to my AARs - while not written primarily as comedies they do delve into it a bit and it was nice to get the nod here. Thanks too for @coz1 for running this. :)

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, despite what I say below I am genuinely surprised and pleased to have done so well.

@Heroes&Weirdos just nailed it! It's a well-deserved award for, truly, one of the funniest AARs around (and I'll seize that golden opportunity to state that a certain Fjordian AAR should be continued, yes I mean you, @El Pip ).
Restarting Haakon and the Fjords would just be casting pearls before swine. If the readers/voters do not acknowledge T&T enough to make them winners, what chance of them properly appreciating the subtle genius of Haakon?

Great job!! I'm glad that one of our newer members managed to secure the nod. Not that I don't love @El Pip 's works and all, but it is always good to see fresh blood!
No. Fresh blood should know it's place; Narrative, Lets Play and other categories where I don't compete. Beside we've gone and given an award to someone who hasn't turned up since November and so wont' appreciate it. I hope you all feel pleased with yourself.

(Because this is the internet I probably should make clear I'm not being 100% serious in these response. Except when I once again say thanks to everyone who voted for me and congratulations to Heroes&Weirdos for a very well deserved win.)

Award season is a pain in the ass, @El Pip OR the best thing in the world. :D I can't promise anything, but T&T get their due this year just as they did last. And I am telling you, this was one of the closest contests of full votes and it was a nail-biter for me as I counted them up. One more vote, and you might have won. Advertise the awards next time. And I say that to everyone!

You don't have to vote for me...but vote! :)