• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avanya

Asset creator
14 Badges
Dec 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Empire of Sin
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities in Motion 2
My perils with subbuildings are far from over! :p

My power plant now works with the build in subbuildings and doesn't need the old mod for it (yay!) - but it's causing a very strange terrain glitch as seen here. The terrain glitching like this also affects water, causing flooding if it's placed near a river.

The building consist of the main building (the big boxes) and two subbuildings (1x16 park with concrete on the left, 8x16 building with the smokestack on the right). Both the main building and large subbuilding are power plants (only the main building produces power, employs ppl and so on - only reason the right half doesn't use the dummy building ai is the steam doesn't activate for dummy buildings :p ). All buildings are set to flatten terrain and for both subbuildings "fixed height" is enabled.

Here's what I've tried and the results:
  • Delete both subbuildings - terrain glitch is gone.
  • Delete large subbuilding - still causing the glitch
  • Disable "fixed height" for both subbuildings - still causing the glitch
  • The above plus disable flatten terrain for main building - still causing the glitch
  • Create a new subbuilding (park building template, no stucture) with "flatten terrain" enabled - still causing the glitch
  • Create a new subbuilding (park building template, no stucture) with "flatten terrain" disabled - still causing the glitch
  • Disable flatten terrain for subbuildings and main building - still causing the glitch
  • Create a new subbuilding (park building template, no stucture) and main building (power plant) with "flatten terrain" disabled - still causing the glitch
  • Put together the default coal power plant and oil power plant (as the subbuilding) - no terrain glitch
  • Reimported both part using the default coal power plant and a park as templates, put them together - still causing the glitch
  • Tested the newly reimported parts on their own - no terrain glitch
Something seems to happen when I put them together. I am out of ideas of what to try or why it's doing this. :( Any help would be very much appreciated!

Update
I've taken the power plant off the workshop as this looks like it might take a while to fix. At least this way no more save games will get messed up.

Last edited:
I found the issue! Turns out a park with no structure causes with when used as a subbuilding. So my little 1x16 park on the side was to blame for it all. And all my testing was done with empty parks, because I thought that was safer than with my models (in case the issue was with them). xD Just typical! Guess I might as well add a little detail to that side of the building, since that looks like it'll fix it. :p Gonna wait for the coming patch, so that gives me a little time for that.

Hi there. I'm having this problem too, trying to do some terraforming around whatif_85's massive Melbourne Cricket Ground. Are you saying the glitch might be caused by some nearby parks? I don't fully understand your last post. Got any tips for me?

Here are some pics of my situation: http://imgur.com/a/XXQnZ

@AmiPolizeiFunk The Melbourne Cricket Ground uses the Larger Footprint mod and not the build in subbuildings, so it's more likely a different issue. Also the issue I was having was causing problems in a much larger area. My guess is it's an effect of how Larger Footprints work, and since that mod isn't supported anymore I'm not sure there's a fix. You can try posting a comment on the mod and see if there's any help to fin there. :/

Ideally all buildings using the Larger Footprint mod and Subbuildings Enabler mod should be updated to use the ingame subbuildings, but as some creators seem to be inactive now that's prob not gonna happen for all.