• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hecaton

Major
47 Badges
Nov 21, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I expelled the Knights Templar from my lands a few generations ago. Somehow, I've inherited a 300 gold debt to the templars, which I presume I can't pay back. Furthermore, they have territory within DJ Jerusalem, of which I am the king, and I can't declare war against them or vassalize them. Any tips for drumming up a CB so that I can take my DJ lands back?

Become an Emperor, then give them a duchy which is de-jure Jerusalem. Then ask them to vassalise (bribe the Captain if he's reluctant). If their approval of you is at 100%, you having 2 tiers higher than them combined with owning a dejure piece of their land will allow them to vassalise. Alternatively, become their culture and then ask them to join you, which allows you to skip the requirement of de-jure lands (you still need Emperor-dom although).

You probably can't pay off the debt although unless they ask to build in your lands, allowing you to remove the "expelled" malus. Considering in my own game I had that issue with the holy sepulchre and 400 years later they still haven't forgiven me, odds are you'd best resign yourself to not having that holy order available to you. Ever.

Getting a CB to holy-war your own holy orders is VERY hard. I'll say this now. The only way really to "root them out" so to speak is to convert to a heresy or infidel religion and then you'll gain CBs to take them on as normal.

Reactions:
Even if I have them vassalized, I can't hire them? That's weird.

I expelled all of them because my vassals kept granting them baronies in my home territory.

Even if I have them vassalized, I can't hire them? That's weird.

I expelled all of them because my vassals kept granting them baronies in my home territory.
Yeah, they do that. They refuse to fight for you as a holy order, although they'll fight alongside you as an ally. I spent many years vassalising all the holy orders 1 by 1 because of it. The only reason I expelled my holy order was because I had given them freedom so I could give them money for piety...then couldn't revassalise. Not realising I should not be an idiot and just patiently wait out the cooldown, I expelled them and gained the land I needed to reform the Roman Empire and Mend the Schism.

However over the next 200 years they alternated between being allied with me and being vassalised (They were vassals only so I had their land so I could get the achievement. As soon as I got it, I set them free again, since being able to call them as allies, or them offering to help me in the event of a holy war, sure beats them sitting around doing nothing except lead factions against me :p)