• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What could've been a better way to start a week? First thing I want on my desk any monday morning is a new TT episode! For a bit more time, I will not be the person in the office dreading the monday but LTCOL.. sorry COL diskoerekto who is in a completely different universe. Thanks for this :)
Thanks for that, my friend - Colonel! Glad my humble little story can brighten up someone's day. :)
I think the best way to compare our Barbarossa with the real Barbarossa would be to determine when in real life the front was approximately at its position in our alternate universe, then try to beat that time by holding onto our lines longer :)
That's the general idea. But we need to give it until about the end of December I think for things to 'even out' and the comparison to be more realistic.
THIS is going to be in my signature :D Feels good to be back on the field. The smell of Zorkun tava in the morning! The sounds of the defeated enemies! Let's see what this new adventure has to bring :)
Vur ha! I see it there already! :D
And to think you started by trying to sneak through the air ducts of SITH HQ.
What a rollercoaster of a career, right :)
We all make our own way along the Path to Glory! :D

---xxx---

Tom

He has quite the nerves, doesn't he. I hope he doesn't ever cross my path because that might mean court martial for me. :D
Kelebek is not quite sure what to make of the sudden declaration of feeling from the Colonel but he supposed that having a favour owed for investigating the man to the minute detail and then clearing him through enhanced interrogation was worth it. Probably. To be honest, it was more a dislike of the englishman than anything else but Perse and Colonel never needed to know that.
This is the standard Kelebek mode of operation as we know and love it.
Haha! Better you can take your frustrations out on the enemy at the front, Colonel.​
I was hoping for the midnight express to end this night prematurely to take Tom away :D
Haha. Oh, a jealous and proud officer indeed! o_O
Well we do have some standards. We are not Nazis, after all.
Quite. We shan't jail him for being a love interest. ;)
He'll turn out to be a spy, just wait and see.
My lips are sealed (we have a policy of not commenting on national security matters :p ).
Such suspicious minds. No body trusts abyone any more.
Agree. We can't go on together, with suspicious minds!​

---xxx---
small nitpick: Zeytin with a y.
Thanks, will correct next time a Genco label is printed! ;)
That's the spirit! İstikbal göklerdedir!
Tally-ho! Google translate made that "The future is in the skies". Anywhere close?
At least, even if we lose they will be too disorganized to hold the province, Wehib Pasha will kick them out as soon as they come. Toüdemür is the real deal :)
We'll see how the battle goes - no big spoiler from me, more will be known soon (next update ready to upload). But Visegrad does sound quite a bit like Stalingrad, doesn't it?! :eek:

---xxx---
It is nice to see that Turkey seems to have control of the skies. I guess there is an advantage to the Germans having their air power focused in Russia. But I am not too happy with the ground war.
It was a pleasant surprise when first the fighters then the TAC were able to do their thing. I'm looking forward to getting those Yak-4s in a few months. Though my assumption is the enemy will eventually react by redeploying fighters. :eek: As to the ground war, I think you are right to be concerned, but if you'd painted me this situation a year ago, I'd have been very surprised as to how long we had lasted forward and the clamps we've put on the Axis advance. Especially after most of the Romanian Army was stolen and sent east. I still can't tell how it will pan out. Which is very entertaining to play! :cool:
Indeed but to be honest, I prefer us holding our own in the skies to any battle on land. We specifically were never going to win on land and rely on pure defence at the moment...and that requires good air cover. And we've suffered thouasnds of deaths due to not having it till now. For as long as we can maintain it...we should. The only reason to retreat would be because we would lose our airforce which we need for the final defence.
Good points too. As before during their previous (briefer) sortie, they will go at it until the enemy or fatigue force a halt. And this time, new aircraft are in the offing, after a long and expensive acquisition program. Their arrival is quite nicely timed, even if I do say so myself.​

---xxx---

Another interesting update for this awesome story

I have a question: I've see as some readers are secondary characters in this AAR, I can become a minor character with my username?
Thank you. You can become a character, but to be consistent it rewards long service and active commenting. Once you finish recruit training and become a qualified commenting rifleman, we may be able to find a billet for you, perhaps in a UGNR battalion somewhere in the Balkans. Which country (of those in the UGNR) would you pick? It needs to be one where the username would make reasonable sense. ;)

by the way, what is our occupation policy? it affects leadership acquisition from annexed provinces, right? or is foreign leadership totally zero? I was looking at the earliest episodes and saw our leadership has not increased very much from what we had in 1936. If that is the case, I wish it was possible to tell puppets what to research and what to produce and order them to hand over their units to us. Would've been a much efficient rule of our glorious republic.
I'll have to look at that in slower time and will say something about it in a future chapter, as the next one was already played and written when this 'Part 1' went up. It's been so long in game and real time since those conquests were made I can't even remember! :confused:

---xxx---

So, Part 2 will be up soon I thought there was too much to squeeze it all into one chapter and it meant I could put a few more illustrations in). :) Thanks for the comments and support. And don't forget the ACAs (democracy needs participation to work best :D ) though I see a good number of you have already done your civic duty. ;)

Chapter 139: An Alternate Barbarossa – Part 2 (24 to 26 June 1941)
Chapter 139: An Alternate Barbarossa – Part 2 (24 to 26 June 1941)

Introduction

We resume Part 2 of this 'special Alt-Barbarossa' edition with battles raging in three different places on the Yeniçeri Line and the situation in Visegrad on a knife’s edge. To the east, the Axis is hitting the Soviets hard in north-western Romania, but the still-forming Danube Line has been temporarily spared. The air war is going better than expected – and a return of the Hungarian ‘super group’ of five interceptor wings is feared on a daily basis. And we will also find out how the rest of the war is going.

24 Jun 41

Inönü’s midnight report on the battles in Nevesinje and Rudo make for happier reading than those from Visegrad: both battles are proceeding well – with Haarde’s 62nd Infanterie again being pulverised in the mountains, while Köldecan now clearly has the measure of the German 48th Division in Rudo.

engnIi.jpg

In Visegrad, all the engaged units are on their last legs but who will break – or reinforce – first? At 1am, the Hungarian 20th Division joins the enemy reserve from Zvornik.

UNev1y.jpg

And three hours later, the innovative Toüdemür and his gallant 3 Cav have been pushed beyond their limits: they follow 10 Inf Div in rout to Pozega, leaving Bözer and his 13 Inf Div alone on the front line in Visegrad.

G3ACHS.jpg

Four hours later, the landline rings once more in the HQ 1st Army CP:

“Milli Şef, it is Bözer on the line for you from Visegrad …”

“Put him on.”

“Milli Şef, I regret to inform you that my men have reached breaking point. My division is fleeing the field. 1 Cav Div were unable to reinforce in time and are retreating with us. I am sorry, we did all we could but can hold on no longer. I offer my resignation, as I feel I have failed you and the Motherland.”

“Grim news, Bözer, but you did everything possible. There is no disgrace in this situation. You and your comrades have taken even more of the enemy with you than you have lost and we will continue to resist. Get your remaining men to safety, make good their wounds and be prepared to do it all over again.”

“Thank you, Milli Şef. We will all do our duty!”

zjMrUq.jpg

This is one of the bloodiest - if not the most bloody - battles (for both Turkish and enemy casualties combined) the Turks have participated in since they started fighting their various wars in 1937.

“I’m sorry, My President,” says Inönü’s Naval Adviser an hour after the dire news in Visegrad. “But the Admiralty have just passed this message through: one of our lend-lease convoys on the Boston-Athina route has been sunk in the Horseshoe Seamount. We suspect German U-Boats. We have sufficient freighters to replace it, but it is a worrying development.”

“I see. All we can do is hope this remains an isolated incident. Let us monitor the situation for now.”

As the Naval Attaché leaves Inönü’s office, an orderly arrives from the CP with a new report. The man is quite excited.

“General – news from MAJGEN Sharokhin of 97 SD!”

Inönü opens the report and peruses it.

“We arrived in Visegrad at 0900 hr to find the enemy had not yet occupied all the entrenchments. We hastily took over the abandoned trenches that we could and successfully attacked those with Germans in them before they could occupy them properly.

Unfortunately, two fresh Axis divisions – one German and one Hungarian - have now joined their front line and have renewed the assault. The Germans seem to be lacking supplies as they have had trouble maintaining a full rate of fire. But we are suffering from an envelopment with an assault from three different directions. We can hold for some time but will need reinforcement, or we will also be pushed out eventually.”

xqkpCq.jpg

(2:38 min)
The Soviet 97th Rifle Division assaults the German advance guard in Visegrad, ejecting them from the trenches previously held by the Turkish defenders, at 0900 hours on 24 June 1941. The situation is briefly stabilised, but fresh enemy attackers are back in strength an hour later.

[Once again, Visegrad has been saved by the last-minute arrival of fresh troops. Next time, if another relieving force can be mustered, if the defenders are on their last legs it may be a good idea to withdraw them just before the newcomers are due to arrive, in the hope of preventing yet another ‘contagious retreat’ of fresh troops before they can reinforce.]

Once again, savage fighting continues for the rest of the day in Visegrad, Rudo and Nevesinje. But the skies are again clear of enemy bombers. It looks like the Turkish fighters have seen off both the Italian and Hungarian bomber wings. Without that intervention, many more hundreds of casualties would have been suffered and Visegrad might already have fallen.

OTL: Eastern Front. German troops captured the Baltic cities of Kaunas and Vilnius.

OTL Event: Washington DC, US. President Roosevelt said at a press conference, "Of course we are going to give all the aid we possibly can to Russia."

---xxx---

25 Jun 41

Inönü is brought his breakfast at 6am – and it comes with an accompaniment that makes it far tastier than it might otherwise have been: Muzir’s 1 Mtn Div has inflicted yet another bloody defeat on Haarde’s 62nd Infanterie in the mountains of Nevesinje.

mZd7p4.jpg

DwOKwi.jpg

Most of the German troops who weren’t killed at Nevesinje made it back to their own lines, but some were isolated and surrendered when their comrades broke off their attack on 25 June 1941.

But the fighting in Visegrad showed no let-up, with the outnumbered Soviet (expeditionary) 97 SD slowly being worn down. Mid-morning, Inönü gets his Beograd-based Chief of Staff and Air Force Chief on the phone.

“Ali, I want to see if we can give the Axis some of their own medicine. None of our earlier interdictions brought out any enemy fighter response. Maybe they have moved them out of range, to support operations in Romania.”

“That is quite possible, Milli Şef. What do you ask of us?”

“I want our old Blenheims to once again chance their arms against the enemy. Can you attempt a ground attack on that Hungarian division attacking Visegrad from Zvornik? I want to see if we can kill some of them and reduce their organisation. Our Soviet partners are increasingly hard-pressed there, and I can’t yet spare them any ground relief. What do you say?”

“I say saldir! I will lead the attack myself. The fighters will be on standby to help us if the enemy tries to contest the skies above our target. If they appear, we should at least be able to extract ourselves without being completely destroyed. Vur ha!” Örlungat, who also commanded the solitary Turkish TAC bomber wing, dashed off to get changed into his flight gear. He wasn’t going to miss this show!

At last, the old bombers would have a chance to contribute to the effort. They were soon armed and ready to go. By 11am they were over Zvornik and had commenced their bombing run. They were able to provide a detailed report on enemy units in that location. One two-brigade Hungarian division was in retreat to Tuzla, a worn-out remnant from the earlier attack on Visegrad. The other two there looked fresh.

No enemy fighters appeared, only flak, with the bombing run completed by 3pm. The bomb damage assessment estimated 54 enemy soldiers had been killed. Not a large amount, perhaps, but welcome nonetheless – and it was a great morale-booster for both the fliers and the troops on the ground. For the first time in a long time, Turkey had cleared the skies of Axis bombers and were launching their own ground attacks! Huzzah! Örlungat decided to keep the raids going around the clock, until either enemy fighters or fatigue stopped them.

jaEsC8.jpg

As that successful raid finished, more good news came in: A solid victory had been won in Rudo, though at a far greater cost than in Nevesinje. An attack by two or three enemy divisions might have been far harder to stop. But again, a full-strength German infantry division had been soundly defeated in a one-one fight. The Yeniçeri Line is not quite ready to fall yet!

cjnlTP.jpg

And in Visegrad, 97 SD still fights on strongly. The Italian 32nd Division has had enough and has withdrawn, but the fresher German and Hungarian troops remain. And it now means command passes to the superior German commander von Kempski – though all he offers for now is a simple attack. And the withdrawal of the Italians, who had been attacking from Vlasenica, meant the Axis no longer had an envelopment of the Soviet defenders, lessening the tactical pressure a little. 10 Inf Div finished their retreat in Pozega, from where they were ordered to march to Uice, to recover and attempt to defend the southern bank of the Sava River in case the enemy did finally break through in Visegrad. Noyan’s men would be in no position to offer serious resistance any time soon, so the Stavka was also asked to help defend Uice with one of the divisions they had in the area. Though sadly, these tactical requests were usually ignored.

SgIMCb.jpg

Air Report. Two Turkish air raids on Zvornik killed 71 defenders that day.

OTL: Eastern Front. Finland declared war on the Soviet Union. [Comment: all quiet on the border here in TT-land so far; fingers crossed.]

---xxx---

26 Jun 41

At 4am, after completing an early morning ground attack on Zvornik, Örlungat surveyed the flight readiness of his TAC wing and was well pleased: after three raids so far within the last 24 hours, their strength remained at 96%. Organisation had started to slowly reduce but remained quite strong [29.9 out of 37.9]. The raids would continue through the day. Death from above to the Fascists!

Speaking of the Air Force, the recent successes – and forthcoming expansion – of the air have led Perse back to the recruiting campaign, where she has again been asked to help with a photo shoot. In between sessions that morning, she reflects to herself on Tom Rosencrantz’s recent short visit (he had headed back to his editing duties in Istanbul the day before). And wonders when he will return to Ankara again.

uoa3au.jpg

“I wonder when work – or pleasure – will bring Tom back here next?”

At 11am, 3 Cav Div made it back to Pozega – they were left in place to start established a reserve defensive position there. 1 Cav Div arrived in Pozega an hour later, having been forced to retreat from Visegrad without facing combat. They were turned straight around and sent back. And next time, if the opportunity presented itself, they would be more careful about how they inserted themselves into the battle.

97 SD was starting to be worn down and a new German infantry division – the 33rd – joined the battle in reserve from Vlasenica, once again establishing an Axis envelopment. Von Klemski began a new assault, but this was counter-balanced with a skilful ambush by Sharokhin. Turkish bombers continued to attack Axis formations in Zvornik.

ytob1k.jpg

Along the Danube Line, on the evening of 26 June, Orsova remained unoccupied by Axis troops, with Baja de Arama still wide open to its east. The Soviets in the mountains to the north looked to be in a some danger of encirclement if they could not escape in time from a series of Axis attacks. A heavy loss of troops there would be a disaster. The fragile Turkish defence of the Danube in that sector continued to brace for the worst, hoping their eastern flank in Romania would not collapse.

T67FmC.jpg

Despite continuing Turkish ground attacks, the position of 97 SD in Visegrad continued to get more difficult [they were at about 50% organisation and the odds were showing as 85% in favour of the attackers by 9pm]. But there was still plenty of fight left in them.

Air Report. Four Turkish air raids on Zvornik killed a total of 193 enemy troops. The most successful was a mid-morning raid that killed 100. The crews were starting to get weary but could still maintain the current tempo.

OTL: Eastern Front. German forces captured Daugavpils.

---xxx---

Summaries

Inönü received his customary reports at midnight, this time summarising developments over the last week of combat (Parts 1 and 2 of this edition) around the world. As always, the green lines again mark positions at the beginning of the month, with dashed arrows showing change of ownership in the seven days since the last summary.

The Patriotic Front remained comparatively stable in Russia itself. Ground had been swapped in the north, the Soviets had lost a little in the south, with the most (again) conceded in Romania. But still no big German breakthrough in Russia itself.

5BuBG8.jpg

The situation in the North is of some interest. GRU liaison Agent SkitalecS3 provided a more detailed map. The Germans have managed to force a crossing of the Daugava River east of Riga – but the Soviets have responded with a major offensive to its south, seizing four provinces from the clutches of the Nazis. Then, to show how fluid the situation is becoming there, the Soviet advance at the beginning of the month towards Wilno has now been reversed. But the good news to take from this is that the Soviets are again showing they can gain local superiority in selected places and generate some quite appreciable offensives. Perhaps the Germans are spread too thin and are under too much pressure across the whole front to be able conduct their preferred blitzkrieg and mass-encirclement operations. If so, that is good news.

sNzKmn.jpg

In the Centre, things have remained largely static for the last seven days. But of note the small buffer the Soviets generated earlier to the west of Minsk has been maintained and is strongly held. Again, holding here for as long as possible prevents the Germans from getting their panzers into open country.

I4DuGn.jpg

In Romania, the Axis have made significant advances in the last week, with the previously mentioned danger of some Soviet formations being encircled and cut off in the mountains north-east of Beograd – a danger of trying to hold onto an isolated mountain position for too long. No more UGNR territory has been surrendered in the last seven days, with Visegrad still furiously contested. The revised Yeniçeri-Danube Line remains intact for now – and though the Baja de Arama Gap is still open, there are indications some Soviet units may be heading there. In what strength and with what intent remains unknown.

ju1iic.jpg

The British report a small disaster in Libya, where their 7th Infantry Division – the only British regular front line division anywhere near Bengasi – had been surrounded and eliminated in Mersa El Brega. Only a number of HQs and a weak Iraqi division remained in the vicinity. Surely Churchill would sack the commander responsible for this fiasco?

bX386U.jpg

The map of the Far East tells the usual story. At least Tannu Tuva remains out of Japanese clutches for the nonce.

eiUrdj.jpg

---xxx---

Coming Up: Soviet staff liaison has been asked for a report on dispositions along the Finnish border, to assist with strategic estimations at Supreme HQ in Ankara. Visegrad once more remains in the balance, with fighting there now going into its ninth straight day! How long can the Soviets there hold out? Can 1 Cav Div get back there in time to assist – or perhaps take over the fight while 97 SD takes a break from the line? Or will the Axis slip in before a tricky passage-of-lines and relief-in-place can be executed? How long can the old Turkish Blenheim bombers keep up their current rate of operational tempo? And will the Hungarians transfer fighters back to that sector to throw a spanner into the works? Has Tom succeeded in charming Perse? Where will Luca look to export his olive oil to next – and who will do the ‘marketing’? What will Kelebek and Cennet find as they seek to establish themselves as the S.I.T.H. ‘advance guard’ in Italy? And what will the newly promoted COL Diskoerekto face as he takes up his command in 3 Mtn Div?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Another good chapter, seems as alt-Barbarossa will be interesting, also I thinks as Turkey not let Axis to conquer Balkans exactly as in OTL

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great episode! I wish authAARing was your job which you had to do at least 40 hours per week :D It's great to read your AARs.

Tally-ho! Google translate made that "The future is in the skies". Anywhere close?
Very correct, one of the more famous quotes by Atatürk. Part of a speech by him in 1925:
"istikbal göklerdedir. çünkü göklerini koruyamayan milletler yarınlarından asla emin olamazlar."
"The future is in the skies; because nations that cannot protect their skies can never be sure about their future"

Milli Şef, I regret to inform you that my men have reached breaking point. My division is fleeing the field. 1 Cav Div were unable to reinforce in time and are retreating with us.
Oh no :(

[Once again, Visegrad has been saved by the last-minute arrival of fresh troops. Next time, if another relieving force can be mustered, if the defenders are on their last legs it may be a good idea to withdraw them just before the newcomers are due to arrive, in the hope of preventing yet another ‘contagious retreat’ of fresh troops before they can reinforce.]
Great development, and I was just thinking the same. If Wehib Pasha arrived later, he would be fighting alongside 97SD against the swine by now.

Air Report. Two Turkish air raids on Zvornik killed 71 defenders that day.
How nice to finally be able to read air reports like this :)

“I wonder when work – or pleasure – will bring Tom back here next?”
If I'm gonna take this on the Germans, they sure are in for an extraordinary beating

The British report a small disaster in Libya, where their 7th Infantry Division – the only British regular front line division anywhere near Bengasi – had been surrounded and eliminated in Mersa El Brega. Only a number of HQs and a weak Iraqi division remained in the vicinity. Surely Churchill would sack the commander responsible for this fiasco?
facepalm

And what will the newly promoted COL Diskoerekto face as he takes up his command in 3 Mtn Div?
I'm expecting a visit to the meatgrinder of Visegrad, but time will tell :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will read the next update in a bit but before then, I'm ready to give Turkey in HOI4 a go. Will report back and see whats changed.

Reactions:
Thank you. You can become a character, but to be consistent it rewards long service and active commenting. Once you finish recruit training and become a qualified commenting rifleman, we may be able to find a billet for you, perhaps in a UGNR battalion somewhere in the Balkans. Which country (of those in the UGNR) would you pick? It needs to be one where the username would make reasonable sense. ;)

Well looking over the job lot in Turkey, we seem to be thin in the competent government officials department. The two most competent of the good guys we do have are both foreigners as well. And Kelebek seems to be running quite a few things now everyone of actual worth in the cabinet is at the front or not far behind. So I don't know...we could do with some economic advisor to figure out how to get l this industry and war machine as well as the new country we 'found'/hammered into existence.

I’m sorry, My President,” says Inönü’s Naval Adviser an hour after the dire news in Visegrad. “But the Admiralty have just passed this message through: one of our lend-lease convoys on the Boston-Athina route has been sunk in the Horseshoe Seamount. We suspect German U-Boats. We have sufficient freighters to replace it, but it is a worrying development.”

...if they start thinning out our shipments and focus on us, that's a worry. Its probably out of desperation since they cant touch GB anymore...

Still even if we don't get much aid right now, if the germans block off the black sea then the Americans wont be able tl give us or russia thar much stuff when they do want tl.

OTL Event: Washington DC, US. President Roosevelt said at a press conference, "Of course we are going to give all the aid we possibly can to Russia."

Summon the Moosemen.

No enemy fighters appeared, only flak, with the bombing run completed by 3pm. The bomb damage assessment estimated 54 enemy soldiers had been killed. Not a large amount, perhaps, but welcome nonetheless – and it was a great morale-booster for both the fliers and the troops on the ground. For the first time in a long time, Turkey had cleared the skies of Axis bombers and were launching their own ground attacks! Huzzah! Örlungat decided to keep the raids going around the clock, until either enemy fighters or fatigue stopped them.

Goering is going to hit the roof. This is going to end up being this universe's dunkirk, with egos halting the big push imagainst us whilst he tries to prove he and his airforce are rhe best at everything. Now...we will lose that battle if theu do thst thing...but if they focus on us, thats months of free aircover for russia, right?

OTL: Eastern Front. Finland declared war on the Soviet Union. [Comment: all quiet on the border here in TT-land so far; fingers crossed.]

As said above, this shouldn't happen here until russia gets pushed away from their border anyway.

Perhaps the Germans are spread too thin and are under too much pressure across the whole front to be able conduct their preferred blitzkrieg and mass-encirclement operations. If so, that is good news.

Hope so. If they are then russia can do the deep strategy thst killed the axis in real life.

In Romania, the Axis have made significant advances in the last week, with the previously mentioned danger of some Soviet formations being encircled and cut off in the mountains north-east of Beograd – a danger of trying to hold onto an isolated mountain position for too long. No more UGNR territory has been surrendered in the last seven days, with Visegrad still furiously contested. The revised Yeniçeri-Danube Line remains intact for now – and though the Baja de Arama Gap is still open, there are indications some Soviet units may be heading there. In what strength and with what intent remains unknown.

Hmm...the line might be thing because they're trying to snal it in half down the centre by focusing in romania. This bears watching but i think they are so close to breaking out of the mountains in R now thst they might end up taking it before long.

Idiots.

Very correct, one of the more famous quotes by Atatürk. Part of a speech by him in 1925:
"istikbal göklerdedir. çünkü göklerini koruyamayan milletler yarınlarından asla emin olamazlar."
"The future is in the skies; because nations that cannot protect their skies can never be sure about their future"

Very forward thinking guy.

Reactions:
Bravo, good sir! Please keep these coming as fast as you can. Reading these on my breaks are about the only thing keeping me going through work.

I am VERY happy to see the air force being of use! My guess is the fighter "big wing" you were encountering was moved north when you didn't continue putting up a fight. With any luck it will stay up there! Use whatever time you are given to the fullest! Having said that I would suggest changing from continuous tac raids to either strictly day or night bombing. Sure it cuts down the number of runs you can make but it will significantly lessen the wear and tear on them so they can continue on that much longer.

I must admit I am pleased to see how well the northern front is holding up. After Riga fell I was only expecting them to hold for a few days due to lack of supply. And not only hold but also go on the offensive! A feat I'm sure Stalin is proud of!

The the north and middle of the center front see rather well anchored on the swamp. Though I'm very worried over the fact there is nothing from that point down to the Romainia border (if not a little farther) that is useful as a holding line.

That being said, if the Romanians and their Soviet comrades (though, realistically it's the other way around) could possibly contain the axis advance in the range of mountains north of our lines they might hold for a while. But for that to happen we would have to hold the river line from Beograd toward the east.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bravo, good sir! Please keep these coming as fast as you can. Reading these on my breaks are about the only thing keeping me going through work.

I am VERY happy to see the air force being of use! My guess is the fighter "big wing" you were encountering was moved north when you didn't continue putting up a fight. With any luck it will stay up there! Use whatever time you are given to the fullest! Having said that I would suggest changing from continuous tac raids to either strictly day or night bombing. Sure it cuts down the number of runs you can make but it will significantly lessen the wear and tear on them so they can continue on that much longer.

I must admit I am pleased to see how well the northern front is holding up. After Riga fell I was only expecting them to hold for a few days due to lack of supply. And not only hold but also go on the offensive! A feat I'm sure Stalin is proud of!

The the north and middle of the center front see rather well anchored on the swamp. Though I'm very worried over the fact there is nothing from that point down to the Romainia border (if not a little farther) that is useful as a holding line.

That being said, if the Romanians and their Soviet comrades (though, realistically it's the other way around) could possibly contain the axis advance in the range of mountains north of our lines they might hold for a while. But for that to happen we would have to hold the river line from Beograd toward the east.
Welcome to the TT Commentern! :D I'm so glad this AAR has been of entertainment. Have you read from the start? If so, that's a big commitment! Either way, it's great to have you on board. An episode of my Roman AAR will be going up shortly, then it will be time to return to Turkey again and the last few days of the month, plus the usual end of month reports.

Very pertinent comments re the operational picture at the moment. I agree re the air force. I first went for daylight only raids but when no opposition was encountered, decided to go all in to see if I could save Visegrad. But then casualties on the night raids probably aren't worth the organisation drain (usually only around 20 cas for those) so your advice will definitely be passed on to Air Chief Örlungat! :)

The South Sector in the SU (Pripet to Romanian border) has been pleasingly resilient for months now. I really think most of the troops that have been fighting me and the Romanians since my spring offensive were drawn from there (a feeling only, no proof one way or the other). If the Germans can't make a major breakthrough in such favourable country before the winter, then I think we will have their measure, even if I'm forced to concede quite a bit of ground in the Balkans and Romania is thrown into headlong retreat.

Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Since i blitzed euiv the first time i played and hoi4 in italy was going well too, i wasnt expecting a hard game as turkey. No natural enemies, everyone is weak around me except russia, who has bigger problems. Havung no manpower and no tech (at all) was my biggest problems, closely followed by being non-aligned and therefore unable to start wars.

Fortunately, turkey went communist at the drop of a hat and quickly smashed bulgaria and greece. Yuguslavia took a while because we had no cav...so we had to walk long distances. Then the big one, Romania, was delayed because Hungary chose that point to attack us. They hadn't done any reforms yet and they were surrounded. More tasty land for us. Romania was a slog and a grind but it was early 1937 and they had about as many troops as we did, just ni experience.

So with our European empire back with a bit extra (Hungary at last!) I turned to the middle east. Now last time as italy i lost a millipn men here so i was careful to try to take only one country at a time. This worked fairly well and soon i had all of arabia and persia, as well as afghanistan. British yemen got independance for some reason so i took that too. Syria howecer is still a french colony and palestine only became avakible when a massive rebellion broke out that gave me and the british the biggest fight of the middle east so far. I can't reform te ottomans without syria and france getting kicked out the middle east so now im waiting for the nazis (whove done nothing but take over austria) to kill france in europe. Then i can take down vichy france in syria.

Oh also by this point it was 1939 and italy really wanted yuguslavia. So they invaded. They lost. Mind you, i lost my entire navy as well. Still, i now have albania and italy in my mighty European empire. I have no manpower though. None. I have a fantastic industry though.

So stay tuned for part two where we find out whether I'm going to die or make turky great again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh I've been following for a very long time. I think I came in just during the France debacle. I posted a few times but due to life reasons I've been in the background enjoying the story.

Reactions:
Oh I've been following for a very long time. I think I came in just during the France debacle. I posted a few times but due to life reasons I've been in the background enjoying the story.
Glad you’re back then - and with some very sound advice too :)

Reactions:
So far the front is seemingly a little more stable but at the same time the fact that it has stopped axis advancement does not mean it is safe. The germans are a few counties away from either open ground or other dangerous territoy we cant defend as well. Plus the entire front hinges on romania, which seems to be further becoming the focus of german forces and aircraft.

We should therefore endeavour not to let the public beleive we are winning to such an extent that the inevitable retreat across hundreds of miles to greece seems a shocking reversal leading to loss of confindence.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another good chapter, seems as alt-Barbarossa will be interesting, also I thinks as Turkey not let Axis to conquer Balkans exactly as in OTL
Thank you! When you've thought about it, let me know which country and what line of involvement a possible character might have. It should match the kind of commentary etc you would like to make on some aspect of the game or AAR, because that's what I tend to use to inform the characters. :)
Well looking over the job lot in Turkey, we seem to be thin in the competent government officials department. The two most competent of the good guys we do have are both foreigners as well. And Kelebek seems to be running quite a few things now everyone of actual worth in the cabinet is at the front or not far behind. So I don't know...we could do with some economic advisor to figure out how to get l this industry and war machine as well as the new country we 'found'/hammered into existence.
A possibility, but will let @Arnulf Floyd ponder for a while and work up a line of interest.
Great episode! I wish authAARing was your job which you had to do at least 40 hours per week :D It's great to read your AARs.
Many thanks. It pretty much is my full-time job these days! :rolleyes::D I probably spend almost that much time a week doing the games/AARs or reading other people's work. :eek:
Very forward thinking guy.
Very true. It was a pity I couldn't afford the research for a home-grown aircraft industry, but at least we're now making quite a few on license.
That's what I thought. :(
Great development, and I was just thinking the same. If Wehib Pasha arrived later, he would be fighting alongside 97SD against the swine by now.
But there's always a plan B! ;)
How nice to finally be able to read air reports like this :)
It surprised and delighted me, I can tell you! :)
If I'm gonna take this on the Germans, they sure are in for an extraordinary beating
Focus that anger, Colonel. ;)
Dashed inconvenient, old chaps! :oops:
I'm expecting a visit to the meatgrinder of Visegrad, but time will tell :D
Yes, time will tell soon. You have to finish working your troops up - I only send them in below 50% org when things are desperate.
Will read the next update in a bit but before then, I'm ready to give Turkey in HOI4 a go. Will report back and see whats changed.
I wait with interest. :)
...if they start thinning out our shipments and focus on us, that's a worry. Its probably out of desperation since they cant touch GB anymore...

Still even if we don't get much aid right now, if the germans block off the black sea then the Americans wont be able tl give us or russia thar much stuff when they do want tl.
It's been a very rare event so far. Convoys are cheap enough if I have to buy a few later. Have spares for now. Not sure what the potato-eaters will be able to do in the Black Sea - the British won't let them. Baltic could be an issue, but I don't really have visibility there.
Summon the Moosemen.
I had to Google that. :D Let's hope they send something of substance when the time comes - though I don't hold out too many grand hopes.
Goering is going to hit the roof. This is going to end up being this universe's dunkirk, with egos halting the big push imagainst us whilst he tries to prove he and his airforce are rhe best at everything. Now...we will lose that battle if theu do thst thing...but if they focus on us, thats months of free aircover for russia, right?
Haven't seen a single German plane in the Balkans. Last we looked (some chapters back) they seemed to be all focused on defending in the west against the British and supporting the fight in Russia. It was the five Hungarian fighter wings that did me in last time. Hope they stay away! If the Germans send fighters, my guys will burrow under the covers. :eek:
As said above, this shouldn't happen here until russia gets pushed away from their border anyway.
That's my thinking too. See the Finland update in the soon-to-appear next chapter.
Hope so. If they are then russia can do the deep strategy thst killed the axis in real life.
That's always been the plan - though this fight got a lot bigger, more spread out and longer than I ever imagined it would in the Balkans. I'd expected to be turned into silly-putty by now without the protection of the two fortified lines and provincial AA batteries.
Hmm...the line might be thing because they're trying to snal it in half down the centre by focusing in romania. This bears watching but i think they are so close to breaking out of the mountains in R now thst they might end up taking it before long.
This is a pretty sound analysis. See where it goes in the next four day session.
Since i blitzed euiv the first time i played and hoi4 in italy was going well too, i wasnt expecting a hard game as turkey. No natural enemies, everyone is weak around me except russia, who has bigger problems. Havung no manpower and no tech (at all) was my biggest problems, closely followed by being non-aligned and therefore unable to start wars.

Fortunately, turkey went communist at the drop of a hat and quickly smashed bulgaria and greece. Yuguslavia took a while because we had no cav...so we had to walk long distances. Then the big one, Romania, was delayed because Hungary chose that point to attack us. They hadn't done any reforms yet and they were surrounded. More tasty land for us. Romania was a slog and a grind but it was early 1937 and they had about as many troops as we did, just ni experience.

So with our European empire back with a bit extra (Hungary at last!) I turned to the middle east. Now last time as italy i lost a millipn men here so i was careful to try to take only one country at a time. This worked fairly well and soon i had all of arabia and persia, as well as afghanistan. British yemen got independance for some reason so i took that too. Syria howecer is still a french colony and palestine only became avakible when a massive rebellion broke out that gave me and the british the biggest fight of the middle east so far. I can't reform te ottomans without syria and france getting kicked out the middle east so now im waiting for the nazis (whove done nothing but take over austria) to kill france in europe. Then i can take down vichy france in syria.

Oh also by this point it was 1939 and italy really wanted yuguslavia. So they invaded. They lost. Mind you, i lost my entire navy as well. Still, i now have albania and italy in my mighty European empire. I have no manpower though. None. I have a fantastic industry though.

So stay tuned for part two where we find out whether I'm going to die or make turky great again.
Some parallels there, definitely.
So far the front is seemingly a little more stable but at the same time the fact that it has stopped axis advancement does not mean it is safe. The germans are a few counties away from either open ground or other dangerous territoy we cant defend as well. Plus the entire front hinges on romania, which seems to be further becoming the focus of german forces and aircraft.

We should therefore endeavour not to let the public beleive we are winning to such an extent that the inevitable retreat across hundreds of miles to greece seems a shocking reversal leading to loss of confindence.
Oh, the propaganda has been careful to be stoic and "much blood and sacrifice before final victory" for a long time now. We'll see how we shape up if/when the Soviets perhaps crank up a winter offensive at the end of the year.
The propaganda department is going to busy.
They are always busy! Also, look to see your advice appear in the next instalment. ;)

All: Next ep written and illustrated. Now needs the usual proofing, formatting and publishing. Getting late here now, so that will be some time tomorrow morning (Australian east coast summer time - GMT +11 at the moment). As always, there's a lot to cover, including all the end of month reports. The naval report has a particular highlight this month. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions:
I had to Google that. :D

Whilst singers and a rugby team would be useful, I was more referring to our own alt history group of war hawks including not-dead Teddy R, the (then) current president and his good lady, Churchill and most of the founding members of the SAS.

It's been a very rare event so far. Convoys are cheap enough if I have to buy a few later. Have spares for now. Not sure what the potato-eaters will be able to do in the Black Sea - the British won't let them. Baltic could be an issue, but I don't really have visibility there.

When I fought Italy, I forgot my navy was on patrol and it got decimated by their naval bombers and ships. After that they sank as many convoys as they could find. Fortunately I only need some metal from the yanks now cos i stole Europe's oil, metal and rubber supplies some time ago. I also have nothing but civillian factories in the homelands churning out more of everything. The empire provides for my military and resources. But yeah, whilst a big spearhead across the narrow italian border worked surprisingly well considering i had only infantry and no air cover, their navy and IC meant that I had to fight a mini trench war every time i got to a mountain region.

Leads me to believe turky actually could take italy if you managed to land troops by naval invasion, or at least tie up a ton of time and resources. It's just getting there thats the issue.

Last we looked (some chapters back) they seemed to be all focused on defending in the west against the British

Ah, so thats what the brits are spending their ic on. Good choice i think. Means England really will be impossible to invade when the soviets turn up and they can send a bunch of old stuff to africa and asia.

Reactions:
I personally not own HOI3 or any title of series. For country I will says Romania(is even my homeland in RL), for nationality I am a Transylvanian Saxon from Herrmannstadt.

Reactions:
I personally not own HOI3 or any title of series. For country I will says Romania(is even my homeland in RL), for nationality I am a Transylvanian Saxon from Herrmannstadt.
Excellent! A few of my biggest commentators don’t have HOI3 either (or didn’t have until long after they started commenting) so that need not hold you back! :D It’s all role play not technical, so could be anything. Pick a RL interest and it can go from there :). No hurry - and trying to comment in a language other than your first is a brave/appreciated effort too. :cool:

Reactions:
Whilst singers and a rugby team would be useful, I was more referring to our own alt history group of war hawks including not-dead Teddy R, the (then) current president and his good lady, Churchill and most of the founding members of the SAS.

When I fought Italy, I forgot my navy was on patrol and it got decimated by their naval bombers and ships. After that they sank as many convoys as they could find. Fortunately I only need some metal from the yanks now cos i stole Europe's oil, metal and rubber supplies some time ago. I also have nothing but civillian factories in the homelands churning out more of everything. The empire provides for my military and resources. But yeah, whilst a big spearhead across the narrow italian border worked surprisingly well considering i had only infantry and no air cover, their navy and IC meant that I had to fight a mini trench war every time i got to a mountain region.

Leads me to believe turky actually could take italy if you managed to land troops by naval invasion, or at least tie up a ton of time and resources. It's just getting there thats the issue.

Ah, so thats what the brits are spending their ic on. Good choice i think. Means England really will be impossible to invade when the soviets turn up and they can send a bunch of old stuff to africa and asia.
I would love to take a crack at Italy in time. The navy is preserved and has a few extra troop transports now. I’m thinking 1943 might be an aiming mark. And it’s where I’m hoping to create and sustain a heavy intel presence, so might be able to see a bit more behind the lines too. And the British should be of indirect help (if not invading themselves then keeping the seas clear).

Reactions:
Chapter 140: The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Gunfire (27 to 30 June 1941)
Chapter 140: The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Gunfire (27 to 30 June 1941)

27 Jun 41

Istanbul. Midnight. You know what that means! ;)

One of Şükrü Kaya’s squads moves in to apprehend a Manchurian spy in the pay of the filthy Imperialist Japanese. This time, they have suborned a local man to their cause. He is not only immoral and (by the looks of it) quite crazy: he also has extremely bad dental work.

As they move in to apprehend him, he grabs a nearby woman and puts a gun to her head. She screams in terror.

“Stop right there, or this lovely young lady gets it!”

The leader of the detachment of secret police quickly consults his notebook and a 'most wanted' leaflet with pictures. He then looks up at the man and says, calmly: “Yeah, OK, away you go then!”

The man is suddenly deflated, crazy bravado turning to sad resignation in a moment. He releases the woman, drops the pistol and puts his hands in the air.

“Ingrid, they’re on to us. If we cooperate, perhaps they will let us live.”

“Damnation! I knew we shouldn’t have taken that gold from Manchukuo, Cedric.” She turns to the police lieutenant, batting her eyelashes fetchingly. “Officer, if you let me go, I will let you know where we’ve hidden the gold. This man means nothing to me.”

“Ingrid! How could you!”

“Oh, you will let us know about that all right – once Darth Kelebek has finished with you!” Her eyes roll up in her head and she faints on the spot. “Cuff ‘em, boys. Two berths on the Midnight Express to Ankara for these two. All aboard!”

pLcJum.jpg

Two at once from the same place! Quite a haul.

---xxx---

At 1am, another report is received from 1 Mtn Div in Nevesinje: the enemy are attacking again.

“One this is One Mike, contact, four Axis divisions attacking from three directions, over!”

“It’s not another feint like last time, is it? Verify enemy strength, over.”

“Verified. They are attacking in strength this time: we estimate over 25,000 German, Hungarian and Italian troops assaulting our positions. We attempted a delaying action but they have caught us on the hop. With these numbers, although we should exact heavy casualties on them, the position may become difficult, out.”

Despite terrain and entrenchment, the sheer number the enemy is deploying, their enveloping attack and superior tactics will make this a far harder fight than the previous Axis attempts to force the mountains of Nevesinje. Muzir has his work cut out for him this time.

vwy20y.jpg

In the flight ops room at 1 TAK Wing in Beograd, a young Air Force Lieutenant (Üsteğmen) is reading the latest mission analysis from the wing’s last bombing raid on Zvornik, which finished at 3am.

“Sir,” he says to the squadron leader in charge of the ops room. “We suffer a 50% efficiency penalty when operating at night. With the few casualties we inflict on these night raids, it doesn’t seem worth the resulting drain on unit organisation from conducting round-the-clock raids.”

“You know, I think you are right Üsteğmen Hustaryin. And the enemy have an AA brigade there too, so it is quite a demanding run. I’ll pass on the recommendation to the Chief. Good work – carry on!”

Örlungat concurs: orders are issued to keep to daytime only missions.

6udcTT.jpg

In Visegrad, despite a brave defence, the outnumbered 97 SD is slowly losing ground to the renewed Axis attack [attack odds now up to 85% in the Axis’ favour]. To its south-east, 10 Inf Div had just arrived at Užice [which at this point I realised the game was having problems spelling sometimes], where it would begin to try to recover and develop defensive positions behind the Sava River in case Visegrad fell.

FJBuIL.jpg

With daylight, the situation in Nevesinje is starting to look a little precarious. The Soviets are requested to help the defence there with one of their nearby units, but the chain of command from STAVKA is notoriously unresponsive.

ue9a9h.jpg

An hour later, the same is done for the Baja de Arama Gap on the far end of the Danube Line. To the north, a large number of mainly Soviet units is in danger of being cut off in Caranseves – they must make it to Lupeni along narrow mountain roads to reach safety. Another large group of Comintern units to their east is trying to escape to Tirgu Jiu, which is currently undefended. Losing a large number of these units to the cause would be a heavy blow.

yFvJb8.jpg

A cable simultaneously arrives from the Romanian Supreme HQ: it is word from the Far East, where they are trying to help the Soviets defend Tannu Tuva from the Japanese hyenas and their lackeys. Word has come through that the Romanian 4th Division has been driven from the plains of Tes Gol: this now places the Japanese immediately south of the hills of Kyzyl, the capital of the small Comintern satellite country.

1yJXQ2.jpg

The news does not get any better for President Inönü as the day wears on: another German division has joined the enemy’s reserve in Visegrad, tipping the odds even further in their favour. With 1 Cav Div still over a day away, and 10 Inf Div in Užice barely arrived and still thoroughly disorganised, the decision is taken to withdraw 97 SD before it is forced to retreat. And while it still has some organisation left, before casualties become ruinous. At 2pm they start to pull out south over the Sava River to Užice.

bDIL5o.jpg

Air Report. At that point, the raids of 1 TAK on Zvornik (the last of which is currently still in progress) were called off. Their two raids (one night, one day) killed 93 Axis attackers that day.

As these events were playing out, the position in Rudo was reviewed, given it was likely to come under pressure soon as well, especially if 1 Cav Div was unable to make it to Visegrad before the Axis occupied it. While fully dug in, 17 Inf Div was still recovering from its previous defence of the hills there. If attacked in earnest, it could likely not hold indefinitely without reinforcement. And in Nevesinje, it was assessed that, outnumbered as it was, even the famous 1 Mtn Div was likely to succumb eventually to the odds facing it. With strong Soviet forces in place in Foca, the risk was taken to order 2 Mtn Div – commanded by the inexperienced [Sk 0] MAJGEN Türkes – to relieve Muzir’s battered formation. Rudo could be sacrificed if necessary, but if Nevesinje fell, it would dangerously undermine the whole western sector of the Yeniçeri Line. It was time for Türkes to truly earn his pay. They would just have to hope the Soviets did not abandon Foca without notice.

B1NsdN.jpg

By 4pm 1 TAK Wing was back in Beograd. It had finished its raids on Zvornik with 91% of its strength intact and organisation somewhat under 50% [around 16/38]. It would now regain readiness until next called for.

That evening, 13 Inf Div (the previous unit to retreat from Visegrad) made its sorry way into Pozega. There, Bözer rejoined his colleague Toüdemür of 3 Cav Div fame in trying to patch together a defence of the key river line province. But neither unit was really in a fit state to fight yet. 1 Cav Div continued to try to slip into Visegrad before the enemy could consolidate there, but it would take them another day.

mo5V6D.jpg

But there was simply not enough time for them to get there first. The German advance guard (the highly experienced and well-led 36th Infanterie Division) occupied Visegrad at 11pm that night. The terrain was now badly against Wehib Pasha’s men and the night conditions made the attack even harder. He pushed the probe as best he could, but the odds were badly against success – and many more Axis troops were on the way. The very demanding day ended on a downbeat note.

z7jjlq.jpg

OTL: Eastern Front. Hungary declared war on the Soviet Union.

---xxx---

28 Jun 41

In the early hours of the morning, it was decided the probe on Visegrad would ultimately be pointless. Given how thin the defence of Pozega was (which was in turn critical to holding Valjevo and Beograd), it was called off before 1 Cav's strength and organisation were further eroded. Visegrad would be the next piece of sacred ground conceded after many previous successful and bloody battles to hold it.

oBgrBQ.jpg

Muzir reported at 3am that the enemy had attempted a shock attack - but he had thoroughly outfoxed them with an ambush in the mountain passes. Unfortunately, the previous fighting had already drained his men badly. This latest tactic would help, but the odds were slowly building against him. The question now remained as to whether their comrades in 2 Mtn Div could get there in time for a relief: at least being in their element would mean they were moving much faster than their opponents could in such terrain.

8hokWb.jpg

To the east, by 10am many but not all of the Soviet formations isolated in Caranseves had escaped to Lupeni, but that too was far from secure. It was fortunate that the enemy had not decided to strike through the undefended Orsova-Baja de Arama Gap to further isolate them. How this sector developed would determine whether the Danube Line was viable even as a temporary delay position.

8NmUeW.jpg

With no air activity, the rest of the day saw the heavy fighting in Nevesinje continue, Muzir’s men gradually losing ground as their comrades approached from the north-east. That night, Inönü slept as best he could. He knew the next day would be a full one.

OTL: Eastern Front. German forces captured Minsk in Belarus. Albania declared war on the Soviet Union. [Comment: The Soviets still hold Minsk, so that is one point now where, even after over a year of fighting, we are doing better than in OTL. And Albania remains within the friendly borders of the UGNR.]

---xxx---

In Rome, as midnight approaches, an official of the Vatican Bank is asleep in what should be the safety of his own bed. But he is troubled by a recurring nightmare: a dark, faceless creature. Manlike, but not a man. Glowing red eyes. Wings – red, resembling those of a butterfly, but somehow, more reminiscent of the fabled Viking blood eagle. A horribly calm but menacing voice, which is felt more than heard.

“Human cockroach. I have come for my due!”

This last is too much for the man, a part of whose mind knows it is but a dream. He forces himself awake. He sips from a glass of water to calm his nerves. Nothing but a bad dream, he reassures himself.

But his thoughts are disturbed by a feeling of imminent danger. The hairs on the back of his neck rise. He quickly looks around into a dark corner of the room behind him – but there is nothing there.

Relieved, he turns back to the front again. To be confronted by two faintly glowing eyes in a perfectly still – unnaturally still – face. It is a human-looking face, but somehow not really human in some subtly undiscernible way.

“I have come for my due,” Kelebek murmurs sibilantly. “It is time to fulfil your debt to me, insect.”

It had been a dream. But also a premonition. Kelebek was back in Rome. And where he went on a mission, the blood always flowed. Over the next few days, he whispered harsh instructions to his human catspaw in the Vatican Bank. Groundwork was laid for the future. Though all remained under cover. For now.

---xxx---

29 Jun 41

97 SD had made good time in their controlled withdrawal from Visegrad, joining 10 Inf Div in Užice. Ill-prepared as they were, they now found themselves on the front line! As was Pljevlja, where the newly raised 3 Mtn Div was still working up and remained at under 50% organisation. And without a permanent commander. COL Diskoerekto had arrived a few days before and was already busy inspecting defences, reviewing plans and doing what he could to bring his new command – the 6th Mountain Brigade – to readiness before the enemy fell upon them. But the hills and river line would make a sound defensive position. The Soviet 217 SD was helpfully heading from Pljevlja towards Rudo, where Köldecan fully expected to be the next to feel the wrath of the relentless Axis offensive. And the odds continued to worsen in Nevesinje: this would mean casualties would now start being felt more heavily by the defenders.

KQNIv6.jpg

At 9am, Muzir reported candidly to Inönü on the field telephone: his organisation was now very low [6.9] and it was doubtful he would be able to hold out for too much longer. But he continued to delay the enemy for as long as he could.

After a hasty and uneasy lunch, Inönü looked up from his desk in the CP. The command net had again burst into life.

“One this is One Seven, we are under heavy assault. Enemy identified as the German 18th Infanterie Division, attacking from Visegrad. We can hold for now, but even in a one-one fight the situation is difficult. They are fresh and we are not quite at two-thirds combat efficiency. Out.”

The feared attack on Rudo had commenced. And the situation in Nevesinje had steadily worsened [the odds had gone ‘red’, at 66% against].

MzchaC.jpg

The President and Army Commander was soon on the phone to Muzir, who was dangerously close to being routed:

“One Mike this is Sunray Major. Honour has been satisfied – get your men out of there while you can still direct their withdrawal. Fall back to Gacko. We will see if Türkes can plug the gap in time – then hold it if he does.”

“Yes, Milli Şef!”

“Be prepared to put your men in trucks and head back to the depth defensive position on the Tirane-Sofiya Line if Nevesinje falls. We’re running out of men to hold this current line.”

“Roger, moving now, out.”

Jk0GEY.jpg

The Axis have paid a heavy price for Nevesinje – and have not yet collected it, either.

As 2 Mtn Div tries to make it to Nevesinje in time and 17 Inf Div fights on in Rudo, more troubling news comes from the Romanian LO. Tirgu Jiu in the Carpathian Mountains had fallen at 6pm, apparently without a fight! This now puts Lupeni in a dangerous salient – and there are still significant Soviet forces retreating to it from Caranseves. A collapse of this sector of the line is now a distinct possibility – and Turkey no longer has any capacity to intervene. The situation will be monitored closely – the CP has become a very tense and sombre place in the last few days.

Kc4mF0.jpg

To make matters worse, the Axis assault on Rudo was augmented at 7pm by the arrival of the Italian 21st Division. Should they reinforce, the chances of holding it would rapidly deteriorate.

Sb9jLa.jpg

OTL: Eastern Front. The Defence of Brest Fortress ended in German victory. The Germans and Finns launched Operations Silver Fox and Platinum Fox, aimed at capturing the key Soviet port of Murmansk.

---xxx---

30 Jun 41

“One this is Two Mike. Objective reached at 0200 hours, enemy resumed attack at 0300 hours. Although four Axis infantry divisions were detected in the vicinity, at this stage only one – the German 28th Infanterie Division – is actually attacking. They are attempting to shock us as we settle in, but so far the situation is under control. Out.”

So, the latest Battle for Nevesinje enters its second phase. It is hoped the enemy will take heavy casualties. The fear is other divisions may reinforce over time, or launch a fresh and coordinated attack if this one fails.

87ASg6.jpg

In Rudo, the Italian tactical bombers have returned to the skies, commencing a ground attack run at 10am. 1 and 2 Avci Filo are scrambled to intercept and cause some damage, but the Italians were able to complete their raid and cause heavy casualties. Next time, the fighters will be better prepared, with standing orders to react to any further attacks on Rudo.

dS6QUk.jpg

At 2pm, a new reckless assault by the enemy in Rudo is met by MAJGEN Köldecan with delaying tactics. He is in trouble now, but hoping Soviet relief is on the way.

sjf1rD.jpg

In Romania, the Soviet forces retreating from Caranseves appear to have made it back to Lupeni – but they all seem to have stopped their withdrawal from the salient: they would be better off out of there and solidifying the line to the south-east, not risking being cut off and annihilated. There are 33 brigades and an HQ at risk of being isolated: Come on, get moving, is the thought of everyone in 1st Army HQ. Visions of what happened in the Far East at the beginning of the campaign against the Japanese remain fresh enough to cause grave concern. A year later, the effects of that disaster are still being felt.

PBq2Fq.jpg

At 3pm, the air raid alert sounds again in Rudo – but this time the enemy bombers (still without escorts) are ambushed and heavily engaged. It seems the response has caused them to abort any further strikes [“performing a No Order” :confused:] and there are no Turkish casualties reported on the ground this time. Vur ha!

9lmLWA.jpg

Fighting continued in Nevesinje and Rudo for the rest of the day, but without any further significant developments.

Air Report. There were just the 223 Turkish casualties in Rudo in the single raid that made it through that morning. The Italian bombers were not seen again for the rest of the day.

OTL: Eastern Front. German forces captured Lvov [Lwow in-game, which the Germans have held for a while now]. The Organisation of Ukrainian Nationalists announced the Declaration of Ukrainian State Act and declared the Ukrainian National Government. Vichy France severed diplomatic relations with the Soviet Union.

---xxx---

Summaries

Inönü read through his latest summaries in the relative quiet of that evening – the end of the first month of the main ‘campaigning season’ for 1941. There had certainly been reverses and ground conceded, especially in the south and the Balkans, and Romania's survival was looking in the balance now. But Beograd still stood in Turkish hands after 13 months of the Great Liberation War – and the Soviets were largely holding their own so far. It could be worse.

The first item was a previously requested special report on Finland, provided by GRU liaison Agent SkitalecS3 (@roverS3). They remained neutral and, though mobilised, were (from what was visible) not the same force they were before the Winter War of 1939-40. When they conceded the Karelian Isthmus as part of the peace deal, they had also lost their border fortifications there. And a port on the southern tip of the country, south-west of Helsinki, where the Soviets had installed an infantry division. The Soviets seemed to have a very adequate garrison in place along the main border. A possible war with Finland would be an unwanted distraction, but (at face value) no disaster.

cVNNWA.jpg

On the Patriotic Front in general, the last month had seen some two-way traffic in Russia itself, with the North and Centre actually looking a bit better in net terms than a month ago. The South had seen some ground conceded, but only shallow gains by the Germans to show for a whole month of fighting. Romania and the adjoining part of the Yeniçeri-Danube Line had seen the most losses. And of course, the Polish uprising had been snuffed out early in the month.

aqIgnv.jpg

Dashed arrows show ground that had changed hands since the last update at midnight on 26 June 1941.

A more detailed look at the Northern sector showed the line holding firm east of Riga, with an attempt by the Germans to seize and hold a bridgehead hurled back in the last few days. The Soviets had also managed to hang on to most of the ground they had retaken in their offensive south-east of Riga. It was noticeable how few German panzer divisions remained in the northern part of the line: this surely was a key reason for their lack of punch there.

Jol0vw.jpg

The Centre had seen no further changes of occupation in the last four days. Minsk remained firmly defended and maintained the one-province buffer to its west gained by the Soviets earlier in the month. Again, there was relatively little German armour apparent here and indeed there seemed to be some significant gaps in their line – though of course it was not possible to see what lay just to the rear of the front lines.

fd6thw.jpg

The open country in the Southern sector had much more German armour present. But while they had made some gains there during the month, they were relatively modest and shallow in depth. And the Soviets seemed to have developed a very solid and well-manned defensive line all the way from the Pripet Marshes to the Romanian border. No major Soviet centres were under any threat.

IMbl8l.jpg

The main part of the Romanian front had seen relatively large Axis inroads. While the Carpathian Mountains were firmly held north of the city of Brasov, further west had seen the dangerous breach previously reported. It seems the Soviets had realised their danger and were now trying to extricate themselves from the Lupeni Salient. In doing so, they might just be able to use some of those forces to plug that gap along the border with the UGNR and link up with the eastern end of the Danube Line. At its nearest point, the front line was now only four provinces distant from the oilfields of Ploiesti (and five from Bucharest, to its immediate south). The fall of those two places would see Romania knocked out of the war.

CBxSrY.jpg

And of course, the situation on the Yeniçeri-Danube Line was far better known, but it helped to see the month's developments summarised. Two battles remained in progress, at Rudo and Nevesinje. Visegrad was the only ground lost in the last four days. It appeared almost a corps' worth of Soviet forces in this sector may be heading towards the gap in the front with Romania, with around four divisions moving in that direction along the Turkish trenches of the (still reorganising) Danube Line.

Ex6tND.jpg

The British reported no further changes in the last four days in Libya, since the tragic destruction of the 7th Division at Mersa El Brega.

Ytzhg7.jpg

One of the reasons for the lack of troops in North Africa was clear: the previously mentioned waste of resources in East Africa. There were at least four decent Indian Army divisions milling around uselessly there, which could have made all the difference in Libya.

USp1FI.jpg

The Far East was the usual bad news story, with the previously mentioned threat to Tannu Tuva from Japanese forces. Otherwise, the month had seen relatively modest Japanese gains in the wide plains of Siberia, but nothing that represented an existential threat to the Soviets.

rKSIaF.jpg

---xxx---

Naval Report

Inonu always thought the monthly global naval report made for interesting reading. It was somewhat exotic fare for such a small naval power as Turkey. And he always enjoyed seeing the ravaging of the Italian fleet by the British.

This month, the Italians (who couldn’t have that many ships left now) had lost a light cruiser (the RM Duca d’Aosta) sunk by maritime bombers of No 16 RN Coastal Naval Command. They had also lost another two destroyer flotillas. The British had also lost two destroyer flotillas (doubling their losses of those so far to four), both sunk by the old pre-GW1 German battlecruiser Schlesien. The Germans lost one destroyer flotilla as well during the month, but the big news was indeed spectacular [and a rather uncanny parallel of OTL]. The Bismarck had been sunk [and by my favourite British battleship: the Warspite. Had an Airfix model of it when I was a kid. As I did the Bismarck, of course! And the Ark Royal, the Hood and the Rodney. The Scharnhorst too].

SJn6qZ.jpg

Top: Bismarck in 1940 [fixed now thanks to @Wraith11B :) ]. Bottom: struck by a British battleship salvo - from either the Rodney or the King George V - in its final battle.
Bismarck was laid down at the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg on 1 July 1936; launched 14 February 1939; commissioned 24 August 1940. Standard displacement 41,700t; complement 103 officers and 1,962 enlisted men. Main armament of 8 × 38 cm (15 in) SK C/34 (in four twin turrets). In OTL Bismarck was sunk on 27 May 1941 by British battleships HMS King George V and Rodney after having been incapacitated by torpedo bombers from the HMS Ark Royal. In this ATL, sunk (some time) in June 1941, credited to the HMS Warspite (BB). Huzzah!

(1:43 min)
A short newsreel of the OTL sinking of the Bismarck, with some actual footage of the final battle. And if you haven't watched it, have a look at the old movie Sink the Bismarck (easily available on YouTube). Made in 1960 - so only 19 years after the actual event. Just think, that would be like 1999 to us now.

---xxx---

Coming Up: After a tumultuous month, the Turkish Yeniçeri-Danube Line has bent but not yet broken. Can they keep it up? Or will there be one breakthrough too many that tired and thinly stretched troops can no longer stop? Or will the Romanian front finally give way, precipitating a general retreat to the next line of defence? Should the Turks start sending the next round of broken units all the way back to the Tirane-Sofiya Line, so they have a chance of recovering in time for the next Axis onslaught? Can the Air Force continue to keep the skies relatively clear of Axis bombers, or will the Hungarian Air Force finally react? Kelebek has started to make his presence felt in Rome again, but subtly for now. What will Cennet be attempting to do in Naples when she establishes herself there? Can Luca establish an export market for his Genco olive oil business? Will Tom succeed in wooing Perse? Will the next few days see COL Diskoerekto’s baptism of fire on the Patriotic Front?

NB: if a general retreat from the current defensive line is contemplated, President Inonu will convene a Special War Cabinet Meeting to consider it - and if ordered, how far back it should be taken.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: