• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I went to the internet and typed in American May 1941 to see what the US was up to and got this image among others -

k4N2CBS.jpg
So according to the internet the United States was having the American Civil War. I think my internet is broken.

To be fair to your internet, whilst the US has pretty much been constantly at war since its inception, the worst one they were in was their own civil war. Vietnam and the Pacfiic campaign dont come close.

When i checked this search, i got a load of poetry books and articles from 1941 america so...yeah, either no war or completly the wrong one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I searched "America May 1941" and the second link for me was 1941 in America via Wikipedia, so here's what they say happened:

Reactions:
any word of rocket artilleries? (or even better, SP rocket artilleries?)
They have rocket artillery for license, but I don't rate it as much as ordinary artillery (others may disagree - I tend to treat it as something quick and cheap to mass-produce for Soviet armies when trying to build them up quickly). Comment: Essays max 250 words. :D
Good news, but their hard units just have too much staying power. I hope those TDs and HArm get produced soon enough.
There is a decent TD with 1 Cav and another coming soon. The HArm? Takes a long time and is so expensive for a minor+ power. :eek: Months off yet.
Bastards!
Indeed.
WHAAAAAT? :D

Except for Luca reappearing, not many good news in this episode. Too many HQs and not enough divisions :/ May the axis swine rot in hell!

TEMEŞVAR'I HATIRLA!
Haha! But it's not quite the same Luca as before. Not sure how well he will recover yet (genuinely).
But I will, at some point, maybe if just to see how 'easy' copying this campaign would be as that Turkey.
Give us a report of it when you do! Doesn't need to be a full-blown AAR if you don't want it to be - just a 'hot wash-up'. :)
Hmm, brave words from the mysterious informant. In fact, only one person in this AAR has ever gotten away with calling me Mister...

I didn't. Called this after the invasion of Caligari and assumed either he'd gotten out on his own or I'd gone in to rescue him in all the confusion. Good to see him though, and I wonder what he's got on the Italians...that isn't outdated of course.

A particularly nasty murder too. One of the first times I had the character actually kill someone instead of teleporting them to Tahiti.

In a many of speaking, yes. My place has better branding.

You want heart? Can easy get you new heart from South Africa or Iraq?
Yes indeed - Kelebek must have had a sixth or seventh sense about Luca. ;) There was a reason no body was ever found. Maybe he will get to meet his old colleague again in the future? Who can tell what this crazy war will bring? I certainly can't! :confused:
Hmm, are they broken or are there Italian troops stuck there that they want to keep an eye on?
I don't think there are any Italian troops contesting. The AI seems to like invading Sardinia at Cagliari, seizing the port and airfield (which the British seem to have used to good effect, basing those naval bombers there for a while and sinking three of the few (if any now left) remaining Italian battleships from it. Then doing nothing more. They only have a single marine div and an HQ there, last I looked.
I guess if we don't care about Luca we can broadcast the fact that the Italians failed to kill him on their own turf which would be even more embarrassing for them considering all the crap GB is currently throwing at them. Maybe it would be best to have him quietly retire for a bit then bring him out for one last mission later on, probably to take out German high command or something.
Not all worked out yet, but sometimes the simplest approach is best ... and I think you may be on the money about him needing to lay low for a while. Any comeback to active duty, if it does happen, would be 'special event driven' - perhaps an actual in game situation where Luca's unique communication skills are required! :eek:;)
The war isn't really going in our favour is it...

It seems that the Far East will only stabilise once the Japs run out of supplies, which, no thanks to the Trans-Siberian railroad, has taken longer than expected... (thanks to @nuclearslurpee for pointing that out)

I'm glad the river line south of Riga is holding, but the hun is still closing in on Minsk, which isn't great news...

With Ada and Faget ever more fragile, the Romanian front is looking more and more precarious...

Let's hope we can continue to buy time to strengthen the Red Army and to allow the British to push back in Northern Africa.
As always, some very astute observations there. You will see soon how the predictions of future action (in the short term) bear out, or not: the next four-day session has been played now and is being written up. I'd wanted to try to push the time-line along more quickly, but Hess & co wouldn't let me relax - the bratwurst-munching bastards! :mad:
The return of Luca Brasi was unexpected, and the banter between Cennet and 'Rupert' quite fun. Those who know in the GRU are glad to see him return, and to see Turkish intelligence operations being stepped up again, hopefully.
Glad you enjoyed it! This new arc has a way to go yet and I haven't worked out where it will get to ... the circumstances (and the characters' own opinions in the matter ;) ) will dictate much of it.
The worst thing I can see is that the Germans have made it through the tricky bits of the northern fronts and have broken throw to some long bits of flat land that als extend to the southern front flanks. Basically if they push any further into the northernmost front, they can hold there whilst they pour troops into the centre to fight in the south. And of course if they don't do that and smash through Riga they can make it to the Finnish border and get them to join in, and flank the whole front the hard way by pushing down from above.
All in the future: while the next session is played, it's only four game days of fighting, and one should not read too much into short-term developments. We've seen things twist and turn quickly so far ... it seems just a few short weeks ago that Wehib Pasha had the wind in his hair and was hoping to smash all the way through to Budapest (even if Inonu never really thought that would happen, though gave it a fair shot). And we're still not really into the summer campaigning season ...
I think it is a matter of time before Romania is compromised now, since either they can force their way through the front or flank them from the north through the southern front. Since we are in no position to run interference or distract anyone, I suppose the Axis will have Romania at death's door within a few months unless the soviets hold out extremely well on their own fronts. Even then, the actual Romanian front isn't very secure either so either way we have a year or less until the Axis have us pinned down in Greece and Istanbul. Hopefully then they'll leave a holding force there and go after Russia but who knows at this point?
Hmmm, you give Romania a few months? Optimism from the Red Butterfly!? :p:D
The only thing that could really stop that now, given Russia is being taxed to its limits by the Axis as a whole, is GB doing something spectacular like destroying Italy in Africa and then invading their weakened homeland.
I think auto-correct must have done something strange to your words there, because I could have sworn you conjectured about "GB doing something spectacular". :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions:
Where is the US? Where is the US? Where is the US? :mad:
You tell us... their AI isn't exactly the best, to be quite honest.
I went to the internet and typed in American May 1941 to see what the US was up to and got this image among others -

k4N2CBS.jpg
So according to the internet the United States was having the American Civil War. I think my internet is broken.
To be fair to your internet, whilst the US has pretty much been constantly at war since its inception, the worst one they were in was their own civil war. Vietnam and the Pacfiic campaign dont come close.

When i checked this search, i got a load of poetry books and articles from 1941 america so...yeah, either no war or completly the wrong one.

I searched "America May 1941" and the second link for me was 1941 in America via Wikipedia, so here's what they say happened:

Interesting side-discussion there. As you have seen, I do track those world news side events (either to apply in-game or as an OTL comparison) and have paid quite close attention to US happenings. And you even got a clip of Citizen Kane when it premiered (Rosebud ...)! ;)

As for the game, I guess you could look at it two ways: either the early entry of the USSR should have brought tempo/events ahead a year, in which case: "where is the US"? Or (my own take, in part because it is the more conservative/less sanguine one) we're not expecting anything before the historical time (end 1941) as game events build the tensions with Germany and continually lower US neutrality.

The wild card is what Japan's early entry into a Comintern-only war will do and whether it slows, hastens or has no appreciable effect on the entry of the US into the war. And, even if they do intervene, there's the renowned lethargy of the US AI. And in this case, I can't even set them allied offensive or defensive objectives to ignore. :eek:

Reactions:
Give us a report of it when you do! Doesn't need to be a full-blown AAR if you don't want it to be - just a 'hot wash-up'. :)

I will, and I was working on a byzantine game before all of this year so who knows. Could beomce a mega camapign report, because my oriigbal idea was to showcase how fun byzantine was once you got over the start ups in CKII and EUIV. In one the start up is always exactly the same and the other requires blind luck and gamey tactics.

The wild card is what Japan's early entry into a Comintern-only war will do and whether it slows, hastens or has no appreciable effect on the entry of the US into the war. And, even if they do intervene, there's the renowned lethargy of the US AI. And in this case, I can't even set them allied offensive or defensive objectives to ignore. :eek:

Could hold the potential to be a fascinating war. Instead of a super tech but resource starved 'empire' that can basically only do a blitzkrieg, by the time the US does anything Japan might have an absolutly massive and stable asian land empire cranking out all kinds of things for them. It would take a long time, but if the japs were clever about it and treated the locals slightly less harshly than they did otl, by the time they get around to going into tbe pacific theatre and after old european colonies they could be very strong indeed. Saying that, GB is in a far stronger postion as well and its navy managed to destroy the axis without much loss itself (see, does happen a lot doesn't it?). So who knows whats going to end up happening?

Reactions:
They have rocket artillery for license, but I don't rate it as much as ordinary artillery (others may disagree - I tend to treat it as something quick and cheap to mass-produce for Soviet armies when trying to build them up quickly). Comment: Essays max 250 words. :D
I like them because of their speed advantage over regular artillery, and the probabilty that soviets might have the tech for the self propelled one before the ordinary self propelled artillery.

I didn't get the essay joke though :D

Reactions:
I like them because of their speed advantage over regular artillery, and the probabilty that soviets might have the tech for the self propelled one before the ordinary self propelled artillery.

I didn't get the essay joke though :D
Hah, was just expecting the HOI3 cognoscenti would probably weigh in on the relative merits - like writing an essay assignment for uni. :)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Hah, was just expecting the HOI3 cognoscenti would probably weigh in on the relative merits - like writing an essay assignment for uni. :)
hahahaha now I get it :D well mine was only around 30 words I guess :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Chapter 131: Lead for Breakfast (17 to 21 May 1941)
Chapter 131: Lead for Breakfast (17 to 21 May 1941)

Prologue – Cagliari, Sardinia 16-17 May 41

In the end, Cennet decided that in this case, telling the truth (or most of it, anyway) would be the easiest course of action. She explained, without going into detail about the mission at the time, that Luca Brasi was a top agent of the Turkish intelligence services. She said (quite truthfully) he had been betrayed and almost killed by Mafia goons – probably working in tandem or with the tacit blessing of the Italian secret police. She thanked the British for passing on the lead to the Turkish authorities and – by invading Sardinia themselves – inadvertently but happily permitting the circumstances that had led to him being able to return.

Given his recent circumstances, she noted Luca had no current information on the Italians of much use to either Turkey or Britain but would be able to once again contribute to the joint effort against “our mutual Axis enemies” eventually, once he’d had a chance to recover. If MI6 representatives would care to contact Ambassador ‘Mike’ Ceylan in Switzerland, she was sure he would agree to a full mutual exchange of information on Italian espionage operations and related Mafia efforts in the Med, if the British could facilitate the repatriation of Agent Brasi and Cennet’s return to Zurich.

She also hinted that an assurance of a mutual agreement by both Britain and Turkey to not conduct antagonistic intelligence operations against each other would both ease the sharing of information and build a degree of confidence between the two co-belligerents, who needed to work together (as they already had a few times) in the Middle East and Med. Both sides understood that general informants and 'agents of interest' were quite another matter: direct and malicious espionage activity was the potential sticking point.

“Rupert, let me be frank: we need to avoid any potentially thorny issues between us!”

“Connie, I will relay everything you have suggested back to my superiors in London.” The reply was polite and encouraging but, of course, entirely non-committal. But Menzies would certainly understand the message.

While this matter was being negotiated at the higher level, Connie and Luca were given comfortable – but well-watched – lodgings in war-torn Cagliari.

---xxx---

17 May 41

The defence of Ada, which had been proceeding reasonably well, took a sudden turn for the worse with the immediate joining and reinforcement of yet another fresh Axis infantry division – the Italian 13th – at 4am. The rotation of fresh Axis divisions through the attacking echelons, the dogged persistence of 7th Pz Division and continued heavy air raids were making the task steadily harder, despite Eldelhun’s effective delaying tactics.

pzA99L.jpg

---xxx---
With the slowly deteriorating situation in the Balkans on one hand and the near destruction of the Italian fleet on the other, Inönü decided it was time to start using the militia and garrison units spread guarding ports around the Med as supplements to the reserve defensive lines being prepared in the Balkans. Those in southern Greece would be left in place, but the rest would be concentrated at key points and more units made available for an extended delaying defence on the main front:
  • To start with, two garrison brigades from Izmir and Antalya would be sent to form a militia division to start digging in at Sofiya. A full-strength infantry division was already fully prepared in Istanbul – the key city and northern province of the Calistar Line.
2ervvV.jpg
  • Two militia and two garrison brigades scattered around the Balkans would concentrate in Tirane and Skopje to start preparing reserve lines there, to be reinforced with front-line divisions later, if necessary.
1NZYY3.jpg
  • In Turkey proper, the single cavalry brigade keeping an eye on Vichy Syria would relocate to Ankara, bringing the Quick Reaction Force (the last strategic reserve of the Union) to full strength. Whether it would stay there or be deployed further forward would be decided later, depending on events at the front.
  • The garrison division in Alanya would relocate to Adana, guarding the end of the new rail line and providing the sole border guard for the neutral but Axis-leaning Vichy state from there.
  • Meanwhile, the entrained Soviet rifle division had by then made its way from Iran to eastern Turkey, en route to Istanbul (in the first case).
8LDQga.jpg

---xxx---
At 6am, a terse message was received from MAJGEN Orbay in Faget:

“Romanians have ordered a general retreat. Defence over, chaos, no detailed battle report available. Out.”

Even though the three Turkish units engaged all still had some fight left in them, the Romanian commander had ordered the withdrawal. Where was Luca Brasi when you really needed him!? thought Inönü wryly to himself, having just heard about the discovery of the old campaigner alive in the hills of Sardinia. [Because of the Romanian command, no post-battle report was received and the units retreated where the AI sent them. Curses. :mad:]

5IEiRQ.jpg

NB: This unplanned retreat created a potential gap in the line to the south in the mountains of Resita, between there and Caransebes, where Turkey was now relying on the Soviets to hold the line.

At the same time, the situation in Ada was deteriorating. The defence was still tactically effective and causing enemy heavy casualties, but the defenders were simply tiring too quickly.

Ntrdg9.jpg

HYItny.jpg

Soldiers from the Turkish 7 Inf Div repel yet another Axis assault on Ada, this time troops of the German 23rd and Italian 13th Divisions, attacking from the direction of Senta, morning of 17 May 1941.

If the Turkish High Command was hoping for some relief at this point, they were sadly disappointed. Mid-morning brought a fresh attack on the Yeniçeri Line, this time on Sabac. The position was guarded on all enemy approaches by a river, though the terrain was flat. A naturally strong position, but only guarded by one division with a ‘rookie’ commander – any additional Turkish troops having previously been sent north-east to try to stem the enemy tide around Timisoara.

The land line rang insistently at the HQ 1st Army CP. Bözer was soon speaking directly to his President and Army Commander:

“Bözer here, Milli Şef. Four enemy divisions are attacking from Semska Mitrovica and Zvornik. Estimate we are outnumbered three-to-one. No enemy tanks sighted yet. We will mow them down by the bushel: TEMEŞVAR'I HATIRLA!”

“That’s the spirit, Bözer! That position is a key point of the line. If the enemy get in there, they can flank Beograd - and the defensive terrain behind you is not the best. Hold on for as long as you can. I will see what I can do to assist!”
But to himself, he thought: Bözer is about to learn the hard way – not that there is any other in war.

oBimkP.jpg

After assessing the developing situation, Inönü issues orders to begin reorganising the front and depth lines.
  • First, 6 Inf Div had arrived in Beograd. It was still very disorganised: he hoped it would have time to recover before it was called on to defend the great city.
  • Of the two fresh divisions being brought by rail to the front, 3 Cav Div would continue on as planned to Mehadia, where it would form a mobile reserve to help protect that flank: either to hold the line, or to cover for as long as possible while retreating units made it to reserve lines to the south.
  • The Soviet 156 SD was diverted to the mountains of Zrenjanin, to form the second line behind Ada in anticipation of its fall. He hoped they would have time to get there and begin digging in before the next Axis onslaught.
  • Inönü had by now come to the conclusion that Ada could not be held for much longer and that Sabac was the next key defensive battle. 12 Inf Div – by now almost spent – was withdrawn before it collapsed. The others remained in Ada to provide as much delay as possible for Zrenjanin to be held.
  • 4 Inf Div’s march to Ada was countermanded: they were instead ordered to Sabac, where it was hoped they could make a real difference. It would take less than two days to get there: Bözer must hold on until then. But at least now he had some relief to hope for.
ICTKQs.jpg

An hour later, Namut’s crack 5 Inf Div – badly battered in a series of recent engagements – was sent south from Lugoj to start recovery and preparation of a fall-back position in mountainous Resita.

1LqjUY.jpg

As troops moved around to a complicated but considered rearrangement of positions in the Balkans, a report to Fleet HQ came out of the blue: the ‘Mk1 Eyeball’ sub flotilla had become caught up in an attack by Italian naval bombers on a British task force in the South Ionian Sea! Cebesoy had been patrolling around the Eastern Med these last weeks – to no real effect. They were ordered back to port in southern Greece.

lHopre.jpg

Air Report. The remainder of the day passed quietly, other than the last of three air raids by Italian and then Hungarian TAC on Ada, which together killed 451 defenders.

---xxx---

18 May 41

Midnight. A dingy apartment in downtown Ankara. A man of Asian appearance sits at a small card desk, reading a book of beautifully illustrated Qing poetry by candlelight. It is a scene of simple peace, harmony and contemplation.

uft9ax.jpg

Lotus Flower Breaking the Surface (出水芙蓉圖) by Yun Shouping, a renowned 17th century Qing dynasty classical painter-poet.

A scene rudely interrupted by the smashing down of the flimsy door to the small apartment and the tramp of a squad of Kaya’s goons who quickly filled the small room. They grab the man – a Manchurian they have had their eye on for a few days now.

“Welcome aboard the Midnight Express, chum!” Their leader sneers as he sees what the man had been reading. He rips out the page with Lotus Flower Breaking the Surface and sets its corner to the candle flame, then drops it to the table as it burns to a pile of curling ashes. The agent from Manchukuo is horrified at this barbarity. As was intended.

0KHuY8.jpg

The spy from Manchukuo – it seems Kaya’s Secret Police have plans for him, so in this case ‘neutralisation’ doesn’t mean a swift and painful execution. For once.

“This will be happening to you soon – unless you cooperate with us," says the Chief Goon as he looks evilly from the ashes - to his captive's now ashen face. "Of course, perhaps you will feel like holding out. I hear the ‘Red Butterfly’ is back in town temporarily,” the man is not game to utter the name of the Dark Lord of the S.I.T.H. aloud at midnight, in a dingy, shadow filled room. A wise choice.

The prisoner almost passes out – he has clearly heard of the mysterious ‘Darth Kelebek’. Not a surprise, as Turkish Intelligence has been spreading word of his deeds (actual or attributed) where foreign agencies will hear about it, as a deterrent.

“Take him away, boys. He is just the baitfish.”

---xxx---

More research has also come to fruition. The cavalry arm continues to be improved – for the existing units and the hoped-for capacity to train (and convert to) motorised infantry units in Turkey, without recourse to licenses. The line of cavalry research is switched to anti-tank weapons.

Nmz4KK.jpg

---xxx---
At 1am, the air raid warnings go off in Sabac: Italian TAC have commenced bombing there. It looks like they are serious about forcing it and will keep it up all day. By 4am, the harsh truth is apparent for all to see: Ada is a lost cause. 2 Inf Div is now ‘thinned out’, making their way out of Ada towards Zrenjanin, with very little organisation left. Hungarian TAC continues to hit them – though this will be the last raid in Ada for the day. 7 Inf Div remains for now as the rear guard – Gürzlin now has the command for the short remaining Turkish occupation of this key part of the Yeniçeri Line.

2zRXgw.jpg

By 8am, the defence of Ada is over: 7 Inf Div breaks contact and heads south to Ruma. It is hoped they might have time to recover and entrench there before the next hammer-blow falls, replacing 4 Inf Div which is in turn moving south to reinforce the hard-pressed defence of Sabac. The Axis have again been forced to pay a heavy price for Ada, but it will soon be in their hands, as 7th Pz Division now has an unopposed crossing open to them.

UPBtSH.jpg

At the same time, the partly-recovered 14 Inf Div is sent back from Lugoj to start establishing a secondary delay line at Pozarec. An hour later the full-strength 10 Inf Div in Kikinda is ordered to do the same in Velico Gradiste. It is hoped the forests and river line there can be used to provide a strong delaying line while the troops in front slow down and blunt the enemy advance. It will be up to the Soviets and Romanians to hold the line to the east of that: Turkey does not have the troops to extend any further. If the Axis break through in Romania, a more general retreat to the depth Tirane-Skopje-Sofiya line will likely be required.

Just a few hours later, at 11am, the advance elements of 7th Pz Division occupy Turkey's former positions in Ada. Another sad day – but the Turkish Army lives on to continue the fight! In the early afternoon, the first of the units forced to retreat from Faget – 1 Mot Div – arrives in Caransebes. It is immediately ordered to get to Velico Gradiste as soon as possible. Not only can it strengthen the proposed line there but it will be another mobile tactical reserve formation – in case something goes badly awry over the border in Romania. But it will need to recover further before it will be of much use in that role.

aBs7WC.jpg

---xxx---

In Cagliari, word came through that a deal has been done between MI6 and S.I.T.H.: there will be information exchange and exploratory ‘confidence building’ between the two agencies, starting with Luca Brasi’s repatriation. The next St Louis shuttle run to Malta for him, then the next RAF air transport to Alexandria. From there, a special Turkish flight back to Ankara. It would take some days to complete the transfer all the way to Ankara. Cennet began to travel back the way she had come to report back to Mike Ceylan in Zurich. There was much to discuss. She and Luca bade a fond farewell to each other: with this war, they never knew if they would see each other again. But that was true every time an agent said farewell to a colleague.

Air Report. As the fighting in Sabac drags on, Bözer’s 13 Inf Div continues to resist stoutly but at considerable cost. Otherwise, the rest of the day is relatively quiet – except, again, for enemy air attacks, where four Italian raids (one every six hours) reap a terrible toll of 740 defenders in Sabac. Grim indeed. The last raid in Ada in the morning had killed 81 troops there.

News Report: Belgium. The ‘Strike of the 100,000’ officially ends in Belgium after the German occupiers agree to raise wages. That could have turned out a lot worse!

---xxx---

19 May 41

The unfortunate Manchurian spy caught the night before in Ankara has decided to save his skin (literally, if Kelebek had become involved) and cooperate with Turkish authorities. His reward will be a commuted death sentence and the hope – many years in the future – of being released, after the Comintern has won the war. Or rendered into fertiliser at the whim of Kaya or a successor. Life is a lottery! Reinstalled in his apartment, the true target is lured in: a Japanese-Manchurian master spy, the ‘Mata Hari of the East.’

At midnight (of course) the trap is sprung at their pre-arranged rendezvous. Another agent from Manchukuo books a ticket on the Midnight Express. She is too important to execute, so is held in the deepest cell in the subterranean prison under Kaya’s Interior Ministry.

4Uss2W.jpg

Yoshiko Kawashima (川島 芳子 Kawashima Yoshiko, b. 24 May 1907) was a Chinese princess of Manchu descent. She was raised in Japan and served as a spy for the Japanese Kwantung Army and the puppet state of Manchukuo. Captured in Ankara, 19 May 1941. Not The Thorn perhaps, but a good catch nonetheless.

At 4am, as heavy fighting continues in Sabac and with 4 Inf Div on its way (due later that morning), Bözer is asked for a sitrep. His 13 Inf Div is reportedly down to about 2/3 effectiveness and the enemy still seems relatively fresh and well-provisioned. His report is succinct:

WNdnLW.jpg

4 Inf Div arrives in Sabac at 9am. The enemy air raids, after the pounding the day before, had not resumed that morning. And then something quite unexpected happened: the enemy broke off their attack! They must have disliked the new odds and the difficult river assault on a well-entrenched position, now reinforced. Huzzah! Bözer’s stocks were now sky high at HQ 1st Army. His curt response of ‘Let the bastards eat our lead!’ became a byword throughout his division. Was this just a trick to be quickly followed by a new attack, as in Faget, or had the latest Axis offensive been temporarily halted?

csOPij.jpg

The Mighty 1 Inf Div was the next to arrive after the hasty retreat from Faget of a few days before. Down to about 25% effectiveness, they were also sent south, to reinforce Beograd and recover strength in case needed as a reaction force for the next line of defence. At the same time, 3 Cav Div disembarked after their long train trip from Anatolia in Mehadia, where they began digging in and remained on standby for any quick reaction tasks. Inönü remained concerned about the vulnerable boundary with his allies in Romania.

oPrb2A.jpg

That evening, after a slow march into the mountainous countryside, Namut’s 5 Inf Div arrived in Resita and set about recovering and entrenching. With German medium panzers in Faget, this province was now on the front line. They had a long way to go before they were back at full organisation readiness. It is a potential weak point endangering units still defending Lugoj.

lwSIyY.jpg

No enemy air action was recorded for the day.

News Report: Vietnam. The Việt Minh is formed. Oh, Comintern Peoples, hail the brave revolutionaries. May they strike at the Japanese Imperialists until none remain in the whole of Indo-China!

481Nw9.jpg

Hồ Chí Minh (b. 19 May 1890 as Nguyễn Sinh Cung) is a Vietnamese Communist revolutionary leader and Chairman and First Secretary of the Workers' Party of Vietnam. As of today, Hồ Chí Minh now also leads the Việt Minh independence movement.

---xxx---

20 May 41

Another day of relative quiet. More redeployment was the main activity, with units beginning to arrive at their new depth positions and the front line (now somewhat thinned but still stoutly held) not under any direct enemy attack. At 2pm HQ 3rd Corps arrived in Caransebes from Faget and were sent south to take charge of the bulk of their units now developing the secondary defence line east of Beograd. At 3pm, the fresh 10 Inf Div made it to Velico Gradiste, the crucial east end of the new Turkish reserve line – a very good defensive position. And in the best news of all, the Soviet 156 SD [EF] finished disembarking from its trains in Zrenjanin at 4pm, plugging the last gap in the reconstituted front line. They were fresh, full of fight and soon madly entrenching in the difficult countryside. German panzers may have a little trouble attacking there! That said, the long green line is still quite thin.

ISowFa.jpg

Way to the south, the reallocated militia brigades had concentrated in Tirane, while their garrison compatriots would soon do the same in Skopje.

R0Nzlj.jpg

14 Inf Div was the next to arrive in the reserve line, which was beginning to take more solid shape.

wwwwK6.jpg

“There must always be another line of defence. Let us make it as hard as we possibly can for the enemy to get our backs against the wall,” was Inönü’s guidance to his staff. For them, the Calistar Line was that final wall. If that fell, the Motherland itself would be next.

Again, no Axis air activity was reported that day.

OTL Event: Greece. The Battle of Crete began with an airborne invasion by the Germans. [Comment: let’s hope they never get their evil hands on it!]

OTL Event: Washington DC, US. Japanese ambassador to Washington Kichisaburō Nomura sent confirmation to Tokyo that the Americans were reading some of their coded messages. [Comment: If they are reading their messages in this ATL, I hope they’re getting ready to do something about it!]

---xxx---

21 May 41

And back in the Motherland, the new strengthened Adana garrison was now concentrated. They would keep an eye on those untrustworthy Vichy dogs in Syria – who kept sending their incompetent spies over the border.

4PsmxD.jpg

Later that morning, 2 and 12 Inf Divs both arrived in Zrenjanin from their hard defence of Ada. Alas, neither was in a state to be used on the front line yet. 12 Inf Div was sent to plug the gap in the reserve line at Arandelovac, while 2 Inf Div was deployed to the main theatre reserve gathering in Beograd. Units there would be available either to hold the city or to push forward to help defend Zrenjanin, Ruma or Sabac (again, once they were in a fit state to do so). Meanwhile, 1 Mot Div arrived in Velico Gradiste, which was now strongly defended.

LiLzq9.jpg

Again, the reprieve from enemy attack continued during the day, with Turkish forces making good use of the time to recover and harden their positions. 7 Inf Div arrived in Ruma from Ada at 4pm. But they had run out of supplies during their retreat from Ada and were now in a parlous state. The decision was made to send them all the way back to the nascent Tirane-Sofiya Line. If not needed down there after they had recovered, they could be used as a strategic reserve.

cMWaGU.jpg

Simultaneously, the lightly armed and slow-moving HQ 4th Corps was ‘thinned out’ of Kikinda. The defence was now left in the hands of the experienced 15 Inf Div (where young Corporal Metin Sadik remains alive and leading his squad - a mix of veterans and more recent replacements) and a Soviet division which it is hoped might stay there. Ominously, heavy Axis concentrations are building in Ada, Senta and Timisoara. Young Metin may be in for a torrid time in the next little while. But for now the front remains quiet except for the odd probe and exchange of long-range artillery fire.

zWTmZg.jpg

News Report: US. Reports have emerged that the American steamship SS Robin Moor was stopped in the tropical Atlantic by the German submarine U-69. The ship's crew and passengers were allowed to board lifeboats and then the Robin Moor was torpedoed and scuttled. This has created an international incident between Germany and the United States. [An OTL event on that day – no game effect.]

FchuN6.jpg

The SS Robin Moor – picture taken just a few days before the incident. The ship was clearly marked and the Germans knew full well what they were doing here. This kind of provocation will gradually wear down the resistance of the US populace to direct involvement in the war: but will the accumulation of such minor incidents be enough to bring them in? Or would it take something far larger and more damaging to provoke that?

OTL Event: Moscow, USSR. The Central Committee War Section met in Moscow. Joseph Stalin dismissed intelligence indicating a German attack on the Soviet Union was imminent, believing it was misinformation from the British trying to draw the Soviet Union into the war. When the head of Soviet intelligence argued with Stalin he was arrested and shot. [Comment: don’t mess with Comrade Stalin! Speaking truth to power there can be very hazardous to your health. Watch out, SkitalecS3!]

---xxx---

Abbreviated Theatre Summaries

Selected summaries show what has been happening elsewhere in the Second Great War as at the end of 21 May 1941. Dashed arrows/icons represent territorial gains made since the last report (end of 16 May).

The Patriotic Front has seen most fresh action in Romania – but in some cases, previous Axis gains have been reversed. The Northern sector has remained stable for the last five days – the previous rapid German offensive around Riga has ground to a halt. In the Centre and South, the Soviets have actually retaken some ground, though retreated in other places. But no German breakthrough – yet.

w5aMNa.jpg

Looking more closely at the crucial Southern sector, below the Pripet Marshes to the Romanian border, the Soviets have held strong and conceded little ground in net terms over the last five days – and are counter-attacking recent German gains in a few places. Clearly, the diversion of the Germans to the Balkans has slowed their efforts here significantly.

8UCIRY.jpg

As we have seen, things have been tougher in Romania, but it is not all gloom there either. The Axis have succeeded in pushing south from Cluj and east of Timisoara and of course took Ada, but the Soviets successfully counter-attacked the salient in the centre. The front still remains continuous, if tenuous, east of the Yeniçeri Line. The new Turkish front line is marked in darker blue (‘Line A’), with the reserve line (‘Line B’, lighter blue) already forming east of Beograd. If pushed back that far, the boundary past which Turkey does not intend to deploy troops has been marked in yellow. If the mountains and hills to the east of the border fall (or there is an Axis breakthrough further east), a general retreat to the depth Tirane-Sofiya Line would be triggered.

3sjVxn.jpg

A general report on the Far East front will be provided subsequently – not too much has changed in the last five days, although Soviet defences furthest to the east seem to be dissolving. Of some concern is a pocket containing largely Tannu Tuvan and some Soviet troops. Given the catastrophic destruction of the bulk of the Soviet Far Eastern Army the previous year, this is the stuff of nightmares for the Soviets. The Turks hope they can escape in time (which they now seem to be attempting, at least).

97KJ5p.jpg

No significant changes were reported in Libya or Sardinia.

---xxx---

Coming Up: How long will the temporary pause in the Balkans last? And can the Turks hold when the next blows fall? Can the Romanians and Soviets hold on in Romania as they look to be doing in the Ukraine? Is the Far East a potential disaster, or just a largely irrelevant distraction? And how will the partnership of convenience between MI6 and S.I.T.H. work out? What of The Thorn? Will Luca, after debriefing and recovery, really retreat to grow his tomatoes and olives? Will Hess stay in place, or ‘do his nut’ (as he did in OTL) and flee to England?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Inönü decided it was time to start using the militia and garrison units spread guarding ports around the Med as supplements to the reserve defensive lines being prepared in the Balkans.

Hmm...okay, RP hats on again.
So if you were the axis and you saw Turkey doing this, you would come to one of two conclusions.
1) turkey is about to start another hyper aggressive attack operation somewhere along their front. This means the axis needs to dig in on the ground and let the artillery and planes do the talking for a bit before hopefully either staving off or repelling whatever mad plan yhe turks have this time.

2) Turkey is desperate and close to breaking on their first and (for Germany) most important frontline. They should therefore continue to pile on the pressure until the turks snap and retreat, leaving romania to be devoured and the axis horde to swing upwards towards russia.

Note that even if they pick 1 first, and why shouldn't they with our track record, 2 will eventually become obvious, probably within a week of everyone arriving on the front. Meaning that if the nazis were intelligent, this would be the point where they really go at you to smash through the Y Line for good. As it is, the AI will probably be spooked and get paranoid again, and probably randomly break off attacks because it wonders what you are going to do with your men.

“Romanians have ordered a general retreat. Defence over, chaos, no detailed battle report available. Out.”

Ah...not good.

“This will be happening to you soon – unless you cooperate with us," says the Chief Goon as he looks evilly from the ashes - to his captive's now ashen face. "Of course, perhaps you will feel like holding out. I hear the ‘Red Butterfly’ is back in town temporarily,” the man is not game to utter the name of the Dark Lord of the S.I.T.H. aloud at midnight, in a dingy, shadow filled room. A wise choice.

Meanwhile...

"Sir?"
"Yes Bensley."
"Why is the office full of japanese artwork?"
"Preperation for pyschological torture, Bensley."
"Yes sir, but where did you get it?"
"Tokyo."
Sir? If you were in tokyo couldn't you inform someone about the Japanese military and their plans and state of affairs?"
"To be honest, I wasn't paying that much attention. I think I even switched museums a few times by mistake."
"Well that would explain the Rosetta Stone and the Declaration of Independance. Why did you steal the Mona Lisa though?"
"She looked at me funny."
"Right...sir. What do you intend to do with all this priceless art?"
"I'm going to burn it piece by piece in front lf the new captives until they snap."

"But sir! The value alone would be-"
"Oh you sound just like the people who told me off for stealing half of Italy's gold reserve by mistake."
"...they...told you off for giving them gold?"
"No, they told me off for dumping it overboard when I figured out it was there."

The prisoner almost passes out – he has clearly heard of the mysterious ‘Darth Kelebek’.

He has a very good eye for fine artwork, which is a shame because he's also very good at destroying it.

In Cagliari, word came through that a deal has been done between MI6 and S.I.T.H.: there will be information exchange and exploratory ‘confidence building’ between the two agencies, starting with Luca Brasi’s repatriation.

This can't last and both sides know it. If all goes well, the Union is going to become the new Spain, full to the brim with foreign spies all trying to spy on each other in the cold war. So i doubt this can last. However, both sides do need to play nice now because both sides want to talk terms about the middle east in future.

The enemy air raids, after the pounding the day before, had not resumed that morning. And then something quite unexpected happened: the enemy broke off their attack!

Mmhm. Funny that.

The Việt Minh is formed.

Things just get worse for america. Either japan takes over Asia , russiaian communists take over Asia or (gasp) asian communists take over their own countries!

That said, the long green line is still quite thin.

Still there though, which is better than could be expected given what happened in the last week.

OTL Event: Greece. The Battle of Crete began with an airborne invasion by the Germans. [Comment: let’s hope they never get their evil hands on it!]

At least it isn't this bad.

OTL Event: Washington DC, US. Japanese ambassador to Washington Kichisaburō Nomura sent confirmation to Tokyo that the Americans were reading some of their coded messages.

And not listening to them. Funny that.

They would keep an eye on those untrustworthy Vichy dogs in Syria – who kept sending their incompetent spies over the border.

We built a hotel, demand and supply was so high.

the Robin Moor was torpedoed and scuttled. This has created an international incident between Germany and the United States.

...did they have a reason for this other than shits and giggles?

When the head of Soviet intelligence argued with Stalin he was arrested and shot.

Get out your shot glasses cos this is going to happen a lot from now on!

The Northern sector has remained stable for the last five days – the previous rapid German offensive around Riga has ground to a halt.

Again, better news than can be expected.

Clearly, the diversion of the Germans to the Balkans has slowed their efforts here significantly.

It was worth it then in the end. Now we need to see how much puff the soviets have even with no army in the east anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions:
18 May 41

Midnight.

By now, this is all we need to hear to know that another hapless enemy spy has been apprehended. And to that, we can all say, Vur ha!

The prisoner almost passes out – he has clearly heard of the mysterious ‘Darth Kelebek’. Not a surprise, as Turkish Intelligence has been spreading word of his deeds (actual or attributed) where foreign agencies will hear about it, as a deterrent.

A wise and effective strategy.

The cavalry arm continues to be improved – for the existing units and the hoped-for capacity to train (and convert to) motorised infantry units in Turkey, without recourse to licenses.

Coming from HPP which fixes this insipidity on Paradox's part, I continue to be amazed at the inane concept that we must develop weapons for men on horseback before we can even conceive of putting our men on trucks to get them from one place to another. After all, MOT are quite literally just INF that ride from place to place in trucks, they do not fight from them as MEC might.

‘Let the bastards eat our lead!’

That's bulletin board material right there.

And back in the Motherland, the new strengthened Adana garrison was now concentrated. They would keep an eye on those untrustworthy Vichy dogs in Syria – who kept sending their incompetent spies over the border.

I would personally place them a little closer to the front, in Iskenderun. My honorary PhD qualifies me to say that the mountain terrain there offers a superior defensive vantage than the urban terrain in Adana, although I'm a bit hazy on if that only applies to HPP. Fortunately as a PhD I've learned to live with that uncertainty, convinced that I'm absolutely correct regardless. :p

Clearly, the diversion of the Germans to the Balkans has slowed their efforts here significantly.

Excellent, our efforts have been successful. Of course, the resulting territorial losses we are now incurring are less fortunate, but we accounted for that long ago and it makes little difference in the grand scheme of the war. Vur ha!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I would personally place them a little closer to the front, in Iskenderun. My honorary PhD qualifies me to say that the mountain terrain there offers a superior defensive vantage than the urban terrain in Adana, although I'm a bit hazy on if that only applies to HPP. Fortunately as a PhD I've learned to live with that uncertainty, convinced that I'm absolutely correct regardless. :p
Just a quick response on that last point (more fulsome ones in a little while): there was a garrison in the mountains there early on, but they suffer attrition if stationed there, so (and in other depth positions) they stand off a bit, ready to move in quickly if needed. :) So that’s a “quite right, but ...” ;)

Reactions:
Just a quick response on that last point (more fulsome ones in a little while): there was a garrison in the mountains there early on, but they suffer attrition if stationed there, so (and in other depth positions) they stand off a bit, ready to move in quickly if needed. :) So that’s a “quite right, but ...” ;)

Huh. I can't remember if this is a thing or not in HPP (and I've just never cared, because manpower isn't a limiting factor for most nations in that mod, unlike vanilla). I seem to recall that troops on home soil never suffer attrition, but I'd have to check sometime.

So, anyways, that's possibly why I forgot about that little detail. :oops:

Reactions:
Huh. I can't remember if this is a thing or not in HPP (and I've just never cared, because manpower isn't a limiting factor for most nations in that mod, unlike vanilla). I seem to recall that troops on home soil never suffer attrition, but I'd have to check sometime.

So, anyways, that's possibly why I forgot about that little detail. :oops:
Hmm, ok, I’ll need to check again next time I fire it up - maybe I’ve been avoiding unnecessarily. Though I recall dimly suffering attrition waiting to invade Persia. :confused: I don’t worry about it close to the front, as you say , it’s minor. But given my puny manpower and the fact they’re stationed there a long time, if there is an effect I want to avoid it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to hear that MI6 and Turkish intelligence have come to an understanding concerning Mediterranean intelligence operations and the return of Luca Brasi. As they say, the enemy of our enemy is our friend, well, maybe not our friend, but a reluctant ally nonetheless.

The measured approach of the Turkish Army is admirable, STAVKA is impressed by the organisation of many successive fall-back positions designed to make the Axis bleed for every inch. As the pressure on your sector remains high, I do hope STAVKA will send some more Riflemen your way, a couple of Divisions could be enough to make the Axis offensive stop altogether, at least for some time.

That potential pocket in Mongolia is some way from being closed, it also looks like Mongolian troops are pushing back one of the pincers, winning precious time to evacuate. Of course we want to keep our troops there out of captivity, fighting another day and all that.

On a more personal note: I'm painfully aware of the dangers of arguing against Stalin... one cannot convince such a man by opposing his view, only by gradually showing him, and allowing him to change his view on his own terms. Blunt insubordination won't get you anywhere, I'd have expected the Head of Intelligence to be smarter than that, I don't know what got into him... Even when stakes are high, Stalin always trumps the truth, as Stalin will have you killed long before the truth comes back to haunt you, or him.

SkitalecS3

• 1Like
Reactions:
At the same time, the situation in Ada was deteriorating. The defence was still tactically effective and causing enemy heavy casualties, but the defenders were simply tiring too quickly.
What matters the most is if they're close to running out of manpower or not. They're advancing but with a heavy manpower cost.

for the existing units and the hoped-for capacity to train (and convert to) motorised infantry units
it's good that we are researching the morale tech for cav, mot & mech already for the 5 bde divs. in the future (if our ability to research survives thus far) we might even go for the mechanized.

Hungarian TAC continues to hit them – though this will be the last raid in Ada for the day.
except, again, for enemy air attacks, where four Italian raids (one every six hours) reap a terrible toll of 740 defenders in Sabac. Grim indeed.
Last time I was asking about the TD and HArm that were on the production line, now one can't help but wonder when will our new planes arrive :D the factories should work faster, we really need those on the front line :/ I mean if in a battle we make them lose 740 people more than us we say we bled them. They're just doing it for free uncontested. Damn those axis TAC pilots! Shall they accidentaly sit on a well lubricated currywurst.

They had a long way to go before they were back at full organisation readiness.
How much organization per day do our divisions gain?

interesting, those mountains are where my paternal grandma lives during summers. very pleasant place, nowhere to suffer attrition :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quick reply @diskoerekto: loved that mention of the mountains :). Will put something in the next update re the fighters, but they start coming on line fairly soon. They take a while though and the clock is going in days at the moment and they take months. And the Hungarians have five wings grouped: at present even with all delivered we’ll only have four (mix of INT and M/R). Though some of the new ones may be better than the Hungarian models.

This is why Inonu was always worried about venturing away from the set lines, which are all equipped with provincial heavy AA batteries for just this reason. Risks and benefits ...

Fuller comments later :)

Reactions:
we’ll only have four (mix of INT and M/R).
And one wing out of those 4 was extremely outdated as far as I remember, right?

loved that mention of the mountains :)
Well, then it is time for me to put some pictures :D

492c24c330f6495b09d2070c11704560

The Karaçay (Black Creek) falls

167100,zorkun-yaylasi.png

View from a nearby hill. The yayla (mountain town that's only vacated during summers to escape from the heat of the plains, is there a name for this in English?) is at 1650 meters high.

osmaniye-zorkun-yaylas%C4%B1-3.jpg

Architecture is mostly ad-hoc, but environment dictates things. Zinc plate roofs for light but durable roofs under heavy snow during winter, a stone/concrete ground floor with a wooden 1st (and rarely 2nd or 3rd) floor.

zorkun-kapananyol-2.jpg

During winter can be some attrition, this photo is from a very good and warm winter day. When it snows the houses sometimes disappear under the cover. Although, the in-game province includes some of the warm plains as well.

karacayderesi[1].jpg

The upper Black Creek before the falls. I have half a mind to move there and start a biological sturgeon farm.

zorkun%2Btava.jpg

This is called the Zorkun Tava (Pan of Zorkun) after the name of the town. Lamb, onions, garlic, tomatoes, paprika goes in it and you can enjoy with Ayran (salty yoghurt drink, like lassi I guess?) and some warm pide (pita bread I guess?) from the same bakery that prepares the food as well.

42967444_DS4G_LfENhjyvmakhaOlX13EucwKIg9lznODodhM_qU.jpg

And lastly the warm pide bread with sesame and black cumin seeds on top. Hardly a place for some attrition, right?

Reactions:
Great stuff @diskoerekto! In Australia - where Turkish food is pretty popular and widespread, normally run by Turkish immigrants - we’d also call it pide. Everything from takeaway joints to fine banquet dining (one of the very top restaurants in my city is Turkish cuisine). Food looks great! Nothing like having it in the country it is native to - always more authentic, as the food gets adapted to local tastes away from home, even if prepared by people from the original country.

PS: great pics. Winter there would definitely be attrition though. ;)

Reactions: