• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regarding the new corps: Normally in an army the superiors would choose one of the best Major Generals to be promoted. Or one of the oldest. Or one of those with the best personal relationship to the Commander-in-Chief or the President.

Do they know the latest news in binomial theory?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Interesting developments. As others have said it seems that your offensive has had consequences that could echo for some time. It also appears that Comrade Stalin is most pleased with the junior partner

Reactions:
Regarding the new corps: Normally in an army the superiors would choose one of the best Major Generals to be promoted. Or one of the oldest. Or one of those with the best personal relationship to the Commander-in-Chief or the President.
Good suggestion, Agent Rasa Urs 75! :) I'm waiting until things calm down a bit and will try to select a divisional commander with good defensive skills, I think. I just don't want to take someone from a division in active contact or on the Yeniçeri front line further south ... will wait till the line is consolidated again and take someone from a 'depth' division. There's an org hit on divisions when you change commanders around.
Do they know the latest news in binomial theory?
I'm sure if I knew what that was I'd be impressed! ;) (Just a rhetorical jape, not a request for info :D )
Interesting developments. As others have said it seems that your offensive has had consequences that could echo for some time. It also appears that Comrade Stalin is most pleased with the junior partner
I think yes to both - in game and narrative senses respectively. The poor Soviets certainly need it at the moment, with possible US entry still likely months away (if/when it comes) and the Japanese free to concentrate on them in the Far East. I'm hoping the Patriotic Front survives the possible German summer offensive (one of the things the Turkish spring offensive was designed to possibly disrupt).

Reactions:
I'm sure if I knew what that was I'd be impressed! ;) (Just a rhetorical jape, not a request for info :D )

All but required for the modern major general. Or at least the best that ever rode a horse.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
All but required for the modern major general. Or at least the best that ever rode a horse.
I see from a very quick (and superficial) search that the binomial theorem "describes the algebraic expansion of powers"! This seems very appropriate to a Turkish general of this period. :D

Reactions:
I see from a very quick (and superficial) search that the binomial theorem "describes the algebraic expansion of powers"! This seems very appropriate to a Turkish general of this period. :D

...oh, Australians.

Here you go:

Back before they knew what incompetent generals could do in a large industrial war.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Quiet! Or he might go into another encore!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
...oh, Australians.

Here you go:

Back before they knew what incompetent generals could do in a large industrial war.
Haha. I saw that some years ago at the Sydney Opera House. Pity there are no pirates in HOI3. I don’t think he would really have known about binomial theory. But we’ll played. I think he may be in command of the British Army in North Africa in this ATL. I had forgotten about the mathematical reference though - thanks for the reminder. :D Oh, the British. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Haha. I saw that some years ago at the Sydney Opera House. Pity there are no pirates in HOI3. I don’t think he would really have known about binomial theory. But we’ll played. I think he may be in command of the British Army in North Africa in this ATL. I had forgotten about the mathematical reference though - thanks for the reminder. :D Oh, the British. ;)

I wasn't a little surprise during just because they love G&S down under, to the point where most of my favourite versions come from Esegee's take on it. The joke about the maths was that there was literally no news in the theory because it had been solved, conclusively, several decades before. The point being that even in the stuff he is 'well read' on, he is still behind the times and out of touch. Him and the Monarch of the Sea made many Brits cringe after WWI because of how not funny having lovable loonies in charge turned out to be.

Turkey and the British here however seem to be embracing that tradition. At least to some extent. That crack about the footy is probably more likely however. I'm pretty sure traffic stopped on Tuesday when those penalties were taken.

Reactions:
I wasn't a little surprise during just because they love G&S down under, to the point where most of my favourite versions come from Esegee's take on it. The joke about the maths was that there was literally no news in the theory because it had been solved, conclusively, several decades before. The point being that even in the stuff he is 'well read' on, he is still behind the times and out of touch. Him and the Monarch of the Sea made many Brits cringe after WWI because of how not funny having lovable loonies in charge turned out to be.

Turkey and the British here however seem to be embracing that tradition. At least to some extent. That crack about the footy is probably more likely however. I'm pretty sure traffic stopped on Tuesday when those penalties were taken.
I was actually happy to see England go through - especially against Colombia. A final against the French (I’m not sure if that would be possible with the draw) would be something to behold! One for all the CK2 aficionados: the Froggies don’t have any players named Foulques in their team, I suppose? :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I was actually happy to see England go through - especially against Colombia. A final against the French (I’m not sure if that would be possible with the draw) would be something to behold! One for all the CK2 aficionados: the Froggies don’t have any players named Foulques in their team, I suppose? :D

Those cheating so and so's probably didn't deserve to win, and it seems the RNG agreed based on that miracle penalty miss Columbia had. Basically we now play Sweden then either Russia or Croatia depeding on which one bests the other. France have to defeat Uruguay and then Belgium or Brazil to get to us so...I honestly have no clue who is going through on their side of the table. Our side though...it might actually possibly be us for once. Sweden are a better team than Russia or Croatia so if we can get past them...

Argh...how does England manage to build hopes up for a team with such awful records?
They don't have anyone named Foulques but they do have a teenager who may one day be the next Pele the way he's going...it's been a sodding good World Cup to watch.

Maybe the Comintern could organise a kick about for morale boosting amongst the nation's making up their war effort...you know, before Japan takes out Mongolia and Romania falls to the Axis?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Maybe the Comintern could organise a kick about for morale boosting amongst the nation's making up their war effort...you know, before Japan takes out Mongolia and Romania falls to the Axis?
:D The only kick-around will be with Deputy Fuhrer Rudolph Hess's head! :mad: If Romania does fall, we'll ensure they send their national football team into exile along with their Government. And it will only be temporary. The post-war New Comintern World Order Football World Domination Cup will have many nations able to participate - as long as their politics are right! :rolleyes:

To all: Next episode done and to be posted shortly. :)

Reactions:
Chapter 121: The Reich Strikes Back (5 to 7 April 1941)
Chapter 121: The Reich Strikes Back (5 to 7 April 1941)

Recap

Last episode saw the outcome of OP KURT SÜRÜSÜ PLUS hanging in the balance: 1 Cav Div raced east, hoping to secure Kanjiza and trap the last remaining Hungarian division trying to escape the Senta Pocket. Their compatriots had already made it out – skulking, tails between their legs, like the mangy Fascist curs they are. In Sânnicolau Mare, Turkish forces have won their first encounter with German armour, seeing off an attack by 2nd Pz Div with Hungarian infantry support. They now dig in, aiming to secure the eastern boundary of the advance.

News from Romania is grim but not yet desperate, but any thoughts of extending the offensive into Hungary with Comintern partner support have been dashed by a German-led Axis counter-offensive. Mike Ceylan returns to Zurich after his eye-opening trip to Monte Carlo, leaving his brother Fredo and S.I.T.H. monster-at-large Darth Kelebek behind to manage Turkish interests there.

---xxx---

5 Apr 41

A new factory is opened in Ankara in a low-key ceremony. This brings the city itself to full factory capacity and is the last piece of new industrial infrastructure Turkey has planned to deliver. And another hapless Vichy spy is captured trying to investigate the facilities, which will be producing new La-5 aircraft under license from the Soviets. He is thrown into a dank holding cell at the Interior Ministry for later interrogation.

mL3Q4b.jpg

Inönü’s breakfast report informs him that 10 Inf Div has arrived in Senta, where the Hungarian 6th Div is still trying to make it out – there may yet be time to trap them. But first, 1 Cav Div must brush away the latest resistance in Kanjiza: combat with one of the units that had previously withdrawn from Senta looks almost done, but it again delays the advance.

EPqKwJ.jpg

The skirmish in Kanjiza is over three hours later and the advance of 1 Cav Div resumes.

Tdc6Bv.jpg

But that night, the tone is changed by an alarming report received at HQ 3rd Corps from MAJGEN Kanatli of 1 Mot Div in Sânnicolau Mare: not even a day after the last Axis attack, another German-Hungarian assault has commenced:

“Three this is Three-One Mike: German Panzer IVs and Hungarian infantry attacking from the north-west. Elements of 11 Pz Div identified. The attack is strong and determined. Out.”

pvKO1w.jpg

First German panzer-grenadiers, then light armour (Pz IIIs), now medium armour (Pz IVs). It seems the anticipated German reaction to the offensive had definitely arrived. How high will this tide rise? Can 1 Mot and 1 Inf Divs, already drained by their previous fights (their original attack and then the first Axis counter-attack) hold out against one of the divisions that helped conquer France? 1 Mot Div has a brigade of Turkey’s newest medium tanks (the BT-7M ‘fast tank’), but it is still not a leading model by comparative standards. And Turkey’s premier infantry division has a proud history but is already somewhat drained from bearing the brunt of the previous attack.

Turkey reacts by ordering 10 Inf Div from Senta to reinforce the defence of Sânnicolau Mare – though that may be too little, too late.

UGBFxL.jpg

That night, the Foreign Ministry is permitted to send another diplomatic mission to Moscow: they do so straight away - a second wing of La-5 M/R aircraft is ordered. The Air Force is finally beginning to come into its own – Ali Örlungat’s arguments have been persuasive after their previous successes and then the Hungarian aerial counter-attack showed both the benefits of air cover and the lack of sufficient modern aircraft to maintain that cover.

girqqw.jpg

On delivery (programmed for late in 1941) this would give Turkey five fighter wings (of mixed aircraft types and models: old Hawk IIIs, I-16s, LaGG-3s and La-5s), with a Yak-4 TAC wing due for delivery in early 1942 to augment the old Blenheim wing. Not a great air force by any means, but hopefully one that can begin to have a local effect.

Qsv2lb.jpg

At the same time, the first substantive report is received from the new battle in Sânnicolau Mare. It is looking difficult, with the odds against the Turkish defenders, though 11th Pz Div is not getting away without paying a price either. The Turks have been able to dig in a little, but not enough for full entrenchment - and the country is open.

faYHNe.jpg

The night draws to a close with everything in the balance and the race for Kanjiza still on. The only air raid that day was early on – the aftermath of the previous attack on Sânnicolau Mare: Hungarian bombers killed 43 Turkish troops.

6 Apr 41

OTL News. First, some history from this same day, where we see events in this alternate time line being caught up or paralleled a little by what happened in OTL. The Germans have found Yugoslavia a far tougher nut to crack in this ATL! Especially with Albania, Bulgaria and Romania on the Comintern side. And Greece for now remains well behind the lines – and with a sturdy defensive line prepared in its south should things turn for the worse. Take that, Deputy Führer Hess! May you choke on your bratwurst. Or, even zanier and far less likely, suddenly jump into an aircraft, fly to Britain and try to negotiate some kind of peace deal! As if anything that far-fetched could ever happen!

OTL Event: Moscow. At 1:30 a.m. in Moscow, the Soviet Union and the new government of Yugoslavia signed a treaty of friendship and non-aggression. The treaty was backdated to April 5, possibly in anticipation of a German attack and the Russians wanting to avoid any impression that the agreement was signed while Yugoslavia was at war.

OTL Events: the Balkans. The German-led Battle of Greece began at dawn when the 40th Panzer Corps crossed the Greek border, while the German-led invasion of Yugoslavia began at 7 a.m. with a Luftwaffe assault, the opening stage of Operation Retribution.

4AaoaX.jpg

Now, back to the ‘real’ alternate world:

“One this is One-One Charlie: ‘the Trap is Sprung’; I say again, ‘the Trap is Sprung’! We have safely arrived at and secured Kanjiza. Request further orders, over.”

uFAzqI.jpg

They are immediately ordered to Sannicolau Mare [which is a move rather than an attack, so can be effected without the attack-reorg delay]. This is more a contingency move, in case that province remains a defensive objective by the time they might arrive, either as a reinforcement or to counter-attack.

That morning, the Hungarian 6th Div, with more than 6,700 prisoners, goes ‘in the bag’! [I tagged across in a previous save just to make sure, as you never get enemy surrender reports. And to see what they had with them.] Success!

rrwYjq.jpg

In a rotational carousel, 15 Inf Div is ordered through to Subotica, while 5 Inf Div remains en route from there to Kanjiza, and 1 Cav Div prepares to move to Sânnicolau Mare, as does 10 Inf Div from Senta. The deeper offensive may no longer be on the cards, but for now the recent gains are being secured.

j7Gjma.jpg

“Three this is Three-One India: our position is deteriorating. Three-One Mike is also now suffering casualties – the enemy is beginning to penetrate through to second line positions in some places. Their assault continues unabated. Request direction on future intentions. Out.”

This report from MAJGEN Orbay, commanding 1 Inf Div, is passed to his corps commander and through to Inönü just after lunchtime. With the Senta pocket closed and the Hungarian 6th Div eliminated, the President must now consider what price it is worth to hold on to the territory gained. And how defensible it is now the Germans have put some steel into the Axis lines. A single Italian air raid, finishing at 1pm, kills another 87 Turkish defenders in Sânnicolau Mare.

TuHlqE.jpg

While he gauges this, later that evening some preparatory moves are made to begin re-establishing the previous Yeniçeri Line defences in the hills of Ruma and Ada. If there is to be an eventual fall-back, it is important to ensure as much time as possible is allowed for entrenchments to be completed (move time plus ten days for full entrenchment). Two formations that still require some rebuilding/training up are sent to begin that task.

FIy8iG.jpg

At 9pm that evening, Inönü makes his decision: the strongest defence in the best terrain must be established, rather than putting Turkish units into a German meat-grinder for no great operational or strategic gain. The OP KURT SÜRÜSÜ offensive has well exceeded its initial aims and expectations, bagging two Axis divisions and diverting German forces from their Comintern partners. It is enough – and one must always be wary of the opposition scoring on the break! 10 Inf Div is ordered to cease heading for Sânnicolau Mare and instead divert to Timisoara, to help re-establish a defensive strongpoint for their comrades to fall back to. And their AT brigade should come in handy helping to beat away German panzers.

iGh12S.jpg

Simultaneously, with the odds in Sânnicolau Mare having worsened during the afternoon and evening, Inönü gives the order for a withdrawal. The casualty report from the battle bears out the point: Turkey was suffering more heavily than the Germans and could not afford to have two of their best units further damaged and disorganised in an unnecessary defence against German panzers in open territory. Their job bravely done, they will fall back to Timisoara. And be prepared to resist any further Axis inroads.

bHx9dN.jpg

A couple of hours later, 5 Inf Div reports its arrival in Kanjiza: they will dig in for now, providing time for those behind them to consolidate, reorganise and dig in.

7ZRXtc.jpg

7 Apr 41

Hungarian air raids start on Timisoara early that morning: a possible indication of future Axis intentions for it! By 10am, the plan of action is decided. Subotica and Kikinda will be held by 12 and 5 Inf Divs as screening positions (sky blue line below). They will dig in and hold until unfavourably attacked or in danger or being outflanked. They would then fall back through an intermediate line (purple below) to final Yeniçeri positions (mid-blue). 2 and 15 Inf Divs have now been ordered to remain in place in Srboban and Senta to establish those intermediate positions – hopefully to give more time for the final line to be prepared and impose further delay and casualties on any attackers.

L0TCei.jpg

A busy figure, I know, but for what it's worth ...

Strong forces would be held in Timisoara, in case the Soviet-Romanian defences further east of there were threatened and required either reinforcement or fall-back positions for a withdrawal from Timisoara become necessary. The previous reluctance of the Axis to attack on this front may be changed by the presence of more German units under Hungarian command. All eventualities must be prepared for – including the strategic withdrawal options examined earlier, before the recent offensive.

9jeAgZ.jpg

By 7 April 1941, all along the line, entrenchment and defence once again become the watchwords. The wind has been sown: the whirlwind may be reaped!

By midday, word is received that fast-moving German Axis forces have already re-occupied Sânnicolau Mare, as its recent defenders still make their way back to Timisoara. By 3pm, 1 Mot Div makes it to the relative safety of Timisoara and is ordered to reorganise and join 8 Inf Div (now present) in digging in. 1 Inf Div is still on the road back from the north-west. 1 Cav Div is heading back from Kanjiza to Senta, having previously abandoned any idea of counter-attacking Sânnicolau Mare.

Zts1vm.jpg

Two Hungarian air raids in the morning and afternoon kill a total of 201 Comintern defenders. There are no more significant reports for the rest of the evening.

if0Lfn.jpg

With Axis air raids recommencing and the scars of many former battles on it, by 7 April 1941 the frontline Romanian town of Timisoara shows the signs of months of fighting. But it proudly remains out of Axis hands, thanks mainly to the Romanians’ Turkish allies.

News Report: US. The results of a Gallup poll are published asking Americans, "Which of these two things do you think it is more important for the United States to try to do - to keep out of the war ourselves, or to help England win, even at the risk of getting into the war?" 67% said help England, a 7 percent increase since the same question was polled three months previously.

---xxx---

Weekly Updates

Reports are provided on the main three global fronts after the first week of fighting in April.

In Libya, no positions have changed since the beginning of the month.

oHtWJp.jpg

In the Far East, a little pressure is relieved in Mongolia with one province reoccupied in the past three days, but the Mongolians’ one remaining VP city still remains under direct threat from the east.

6W4RA2.jpg

While on the wider Patriotic Front, the Soviets continue to lose ground in the north. There is also some action in the centre and south, where both sides advanced in the last week. In Romania, Cluj has been retaken, but the Axis counter-offensive north-east of Timisoara has retaken previous gains there from March.

y2J5zn.jpg

(2:16 min)
That month, the number one song in the Glorious Union is the inspiring ‘The Guards Song’ from the indefatigable propaganda mills of the Soviet Union. A big hit in the cinemas when shown (with Turkish sub-titles, of course). Given battlefield events of recent days, what better than to celebrate the valour of heroic tank men as they battle the evil Fascist enemy? Ura! Huzzah! Vur ha! Death to the Fascists!

---xxx---

Epilogue

In Monte Carlo, Kelebek is ‘enjoying’ a performance by that well known American comedy duo, Abbott and Costello. A cigar in one hand, cognac in another. But despite an apparently relaxed and jovial outward demeanour, there is something ... not quite right ... about him. The bar girls can’t be persuaded to go near him. 'Mo' Verdi avoids him like the plague. And if only he knew what a plague he was – he would be a thousand miles away by now. For what good it would do him.

74TQvE.jpg

Fredo is living life high – but also very shallow. He remains under the thrall of Marcello ‘Mo Green’ Verdi – and carries on as if there was no war and never would be.

uG7KqH.jpg

And Fredo? Well ... he likes Abbott and Costello, anyway.

(2:44 min)
“Who’s on first?” Abbott and Costello perform their famous routine (first performed on radio in March 1938) at the Grand Casino in Monte Carlo, 7 April 1941. Fredo laughs hard. Kelebek appears as mystified by it all as Lou Costello is.

---xxx---

Back in Zurich, Mike Ceylan meets with his father, Vito. The Ambassador is looking even more frail these days – and is sometimes a little forgetful. He has never fully recovered from the shooting. But his insights remain as sharp as ever. He is talking to Mike about senior Vatican Bank official Signor Marco Bianchi, supposedly 'neutral' broker of the Locarno peace meeting with the Tattaglias. Both he and Mike have previously concluded that it is in fact Bianchi who is behind the Tattaglias and those forces in the Vatican Bank who had always opposed the Immobiliare deal. Rubbing out Lucchesi had not eliminated their influence. This was a hydra with many heads.

“So,” continued Vito. “Bianchi will move against you first. He'll set up a meeting with someone that you absolutely trust - guaranteeing your safety. And at that meeting, you'll be assassinated.”

Vito drinks from a glass of red wine as Mike watches him. “I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more.”

“It's good for you, Pa.”

“I hope you don't mind the way I - I keep going over this Bianchi business.”

“No, not at all.”

“It's an old habit. I spent my life trying not to be careless - women and children can be careless, but not men.”

Mike reaches over and puts a hand gently on his father’s arm. “What's the matter, Pa? What's really bothering you?” Vito remains silent. “I'll handle it. I told you I can handle it, I'll handle it.”

Vito seems to come to a decision with himself. He stands and looks at his youngest son. “I knew that Sonny was going to have to go through all this. And Fredo - well ...”

He then sits beside Mike. “… Fredo was - well - but I never - I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life, I don't apologise, to take care of my family and country. And I refused - to be a fool - dancing on the string, held by all those - bigshots. I don't apologise - that's my life - but I thought that - that when it was your time - that - that you would be the one to hold the strings. Minister Ceylan - Governor Ceylan, or something ...”

“You mean another ‘pezzonovante’.”

“Well - there wasn't enough time, Mükkerim. Wasn't enough time ... this war came – then Sonny was killed …”

“We'll get there, Pop - we'll get there.”

“Now – listen. Whoever comes to you with this Bianchi meeting - he's the traitor. Don't forget that.”

sXTOvN.jpg

“Bianchi will move against you first. He'll set up a meeting with someone that you absolutely trust - guaranteeing your safety. And at that meeting, you'll be assassinated.”

---xxx---

Coming Up: The Turks wait to see whether the Germans will continue to attack in force and whether Romania can hold. Can Turkey re-establish their main defences before an avalanche of German armour heads their way? Will their Comintern partners make good use of the time that has been bought? Can Mongolia survive and, if it falls, what would the consequences be? Will the attack on Rhodes go ahead once the fleet returns with its Turkish-Soviet expeditionary force? And if they do make the attempt, they can be sure it would be a far tougher fight than they ever had in Saudi Arabia. Will Bianchi indeed try to entrap Mike Ceylan – and who is the traitor in their midst?

AuthAAR’s Note: OK, we are all caught up again after this frenetic period of manouevre and the pocketing of that last Hungarian division.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to see one more factory gearing up for production, considering how this war is going, it may well pay for itself quite a bit before we reach Berlin or Rome, let alone Tokyo...
Another Axis Division in Turkish POW camps, another Panzer Division pulled away from the Soviet front, and finally some push-back in Mongolia, all relatively good new in the grand scheme of things.
The Turkish military has shown friend and foe what it is capable of, now it is time to make sure they can hold back the fresh attention the Axis is lavishing upon it. The stepped fall-back strategy makes sense, a true defence in depth when the terrain doesn't really allow for a strong line, while the Yeniceri-line is manned with fresh units. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.
It is time for the Turkish army to recuperate and entrench, and maybe another opportunity will present itself in the future. KURT SÜRÜSÜ is hailed as a success all through the Soviet Union. It bought valuable time for Romania, and for the Soviet Union, and as we all know, time is the enemy of the Axis, with their limited resources and fuel-hungry military's, they need wars to be over quickly... While we would like to win quickly, the Soviet Union the manpower and resources to keep coming back for more until the Axis can take no more. All we need to keep going is the time to bring it all to bear.
That said. Summer is coming, and who knows what the Germans have planned for prime offensive season, though I have to say, some Soviet commanders have also come forward with some more daring plans. For now, we hold on, being pushed back ever so slowly by an enemy who's biggest ally is speed...

As always, we'll have to see what comes our way next,

SkitalecS3

Reactions:
great episode! i agree with comrade skitalec, op KURT SÜRÜSÜ bought valuable time for romanians and soviets, took out 2 divisions, and wreaked havoc on axis battle plans. for a moment we had a great dream of taking hungary out of the game, but at least when the situation showed itself we were able to think down to earth and now have in plan a good fall back to the original lines all the while bleeding the axis during our retreat. this had been the good kind of crazy. when we stabilize this front, we can try other turkish style ops like this to keep the axis in check. VUR HA!

• 1Like
Reactions:
A new factory is opened in Ankara in a low-key ceremony. This brings the city itself to full factory capacity and is the last piece of new industrial infrastructure Turkey has planned to deliver. And another hapless Vichy spy is captured trying to investigate the facilities, which will be producing new La-5 aircraft under license from the Soviets. He is thrown into a dank holding cell at the Interior Ministry for later interrogation.

The last factory would have in peace time been met with a parade and much attention, the last step in the industrialisation began by Ataturk. As it stood, people had more to worry about. Still, its a good thing to complete. The railroads and infrastructure need to continue being built even as the war is won after all.

At 9pm that evening, Inönü makes his decision: the strongest defence in the best terrain must be established, rather than putting Turkish units into a German meat-grinder for no great operational or strategic gain. The OP KURT SÜRÜSÜ offensive has well exceeded its initial aims and expectations, bagging two Axis divisions and diverting German forces from their Comintern partners.

Yes it has been a great success and probably will be one of the operations people will look at as the potential turning point in the war. Valuable momentum and time has been stolen from the axis and the germans look like mugs having to bail out their idiotic comrades again and agsin.

In Libya, no positions have changed since the beginning of the month.

Thats just lazy.

In the Far East, a little pressure is relieved in Mongolia with one province reoccupied in the past three days, but the Mongolians’ one remaining VP city still remains under direct threat from the east.

Thats just alarming.

In Monte Carlo, Kelebek is ‘enjoying’ a performance by that well known American comedy duo, Abbott and Costello. A cigar in one hand, cognac in another. But despite an apparently relaxed and jovial outward demeanour, there is something ... not quite right ... about him. The bar girls can’t be persuaded to go near him. 'Mo' Verdi avoids him like the plague. And if only he knew what a plague he was – he would be a thousand miles away by now. For what good it would do him.

Thats just confusing. Who are these two? Where are these bases of theirs? Are they on our side or are we trying to blow them up? Why are they using bats and not high explosives?

It is time for the Turkish army to recuperate and entrench, and maybe another opportunity will present itself in the future. KURT SÜRÜSÜ is hailed as a success all through the Soviet Union. It bought valuable time for Romania, and for the Soviet Union, and as we all know, time is the enemy of the Axis, with their limited resources and fuel-hungry military's, they need wars to be over quickly... While we would like to win quickly, the Soviet Union the manpower and resources to keep coming back for more until the Axis can take no more. All we need to keep going is the time to bring it all to bear.
That said. Summer is coming, and who knows what the Germans have planned for prime offensive season, though I have to say, some Soviet commanders have also come forward with some more daring plans. For now, we hold on, being pushed back ever so slowly by an enemy who's biggest ally is speed...

Agreed. The summer rush may yet kill russia in the north at least. This means the fins might yet join the war anywah...but still...we stopped them in the south and that was a far more important area. I think now, unless the japanese cause a collapse eastwards, we shall eventually win.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree to stopping the Axis in the south. That region behind Soviet lines, if my information is right, is perfect for tanks. If the Germans breakthrough there...

Still, I am worried about the northern part of the Russian-German Front, the Fins, and the German Panzers IVs. Those were damn useful and very numerous within the German military and they scare me. In some ways they scare me more than heavier tanks. In the proper hands they can be very dangerous. Of course...the Germans are controlled by a AI so maybe I am just paranoid.

Reactions:
I agree to stopping the Axis in the south. That region behind Soviet lines, if my information is right, is perfect for tanks. If the Germans breakthrough there...

Still, I am worried about the northern part of the Russian-German Front, the Fins, and the German Panzers IVs. Those were damn useful and very numerous within the German military and they scare me. In some ways they scare me more than heavier tanks. In the proper hands they can be very dangerous. Of course...the Germans are controlled by a AI so maybe I am just paranoid.

Now maybe we are just being a little paranoid. Afrer all, bith in universe and in terms of the gaem, theres almost nothing of vakue in the north front that a breakout can sieze upon aside from that important land broder with finland. If the fins dont join in, then all those troops have to go south anyway to get to the capital (a blow certainly but not a critical one for russia, they've lost it before) and to those lovely oil fields in Romania and Ukraine which would actually be the serious blow which would make everyone scared.

I think given the massive amount of panic that must have been induced amongst axis powers (including berlin), the germans will probably not move all their forces back up to the russian fronts. They don't trust their allies to deal with romania any more and they certainly dont trust turkey to just stay behind their defensive lines.

Now the best thing to do is to retreat in an orderly manner back to our line, and prep the new romanian line for use (because if I was the German AI, at this point I'd abandon the idea of restraint and try to crush romania, divide the Comintern up from each other).

So basically we've achieved and learnt several thinbga from this operation.
1. We've halted real axis progress south of the central front.
2. We've significantly shaken up the german AI at the very least (presumably they've redeployed and moved at least most of their units south of the centre front) and at best made the whole axis more nervous and timid. All their momentum from france and poland is lost.
3. We've learnt our troops can actualy achieve much with some room to manouver and match the hungarians in open conflict.
4. We've also confirmed that the axis are absurdly spread out and the hungsrians were on their own for some time before thr germans showed up. The italians were also barely present and seem to be absent from this theatre altogether aside from the units we've already seen.
5.The Axis want to push Russia back and take Romania. They dont want to fight a campsign against the turks yet and dont seem to be preprared for it. Whether thst changes or whether it means gheyll trt to rush through one of their other fronts to face us...who can say?

All in all, the axis might seem mighty but the operation showed pretty much all of the cracks they have in their operations in europe. If the Allies were to invade France now or if the british pushed back against the italians in africa, i get the sense that they wouldnt be able to do anything about it.

Perhaps...we might look into that soft underbelly of europe for ourselves once we deal with Rhodes?

Reactions:
i was thinking more along the lines of a similar operation to kurt sürüsü but around the adriatic coast trying to disrupt the south end of the line (and maybe try to probe budapest again directy northward via sarajevo after the breakthrough?), german support will come even later if at all, and if it does it spoils their plans even more.

a naval drop to the heel of the boot would be at a later stage in my opinion after we envelop and destroy some italian division on the front.

Reactions: