• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think @diskoerekto makes some good points. If the Yeniceri line is broken or Romania is threatened with annihilation, the situation will surely get more fluid, and an approach with several layers of, possibly temporary, advantageous fall-back lines to slow down, and wear down, the enemy, fighting there were Turkey holds a clear defensive advantage, makes perfect sense... we all continue to cheer on the red army and the Turkish Army in the hopes that this all will prove unnecessary...

Reactions:
Was going to post today but got engaged instead. Kelebek can wait, genre savy enough to know 'love conquers all', and all that...

• 1Love
Reactions:
Was going to post today but got engaged instead. Kelebek can wait, genre savy enough to know 'love conquers all', and all that...
No worries - still at least a day before the Cabinet convenes, so if the Red Butterfly does get the chance to comment beforehand, of course that would be welcome. Edit: So is that actually engaged!? Betrothed ‘n all? If so - Congratulations! :cool::D:) I don’t think Kelebek would be welcome at all in those circumstances :eek:;).

All: Still an opportunity for others to make their suggestions too - short, general and restricted to a point or opinion or two; or longer, more wide ranging or specific. All gratefully received :).

It all makes the writing less lonely and more interactive ;). Especially for these kinds of meetings - where everything is on the table and nothing yet decided. And a point you make could change the course of the war! :D

Reactions:
No worries - still at least a day before the Cabinet convenes, so if the Red Butterfly does get the chance to comment beforehand, of course that would be welcome

Cureebtly discussing, in-betweeb finals projects, what the intellgience servide cpuld do to get British involvement in Turkey or Euorpe in general up. Have a few ideas, the best of which involve much more in-universe stuff than actual game effects so it doesnt matter too much what the AI actually does...we're trying to come up with an explination for Rotterdam roo thst doesbt invilve Chamberlain being the New Evil Overlord (as humourous as that is).

Edit: So is that actually engaged!? Betrothed ‘n all? If so - Congratulations! :cool::D:) I don’t think Kelebek would be welcome at all in those circumstances :eek:;).

Well...yeah! I know you can also use engaged to mean stuck in the bog but not sure why anyone would share that on a creative writing forum...

Thank you very much. And i suppose not, though there are some good aspects to the character. It's orange and blue morality at best though. As it happens students are doing this all over the place around now due to graduations and such. Professor Monmouth dubbed it the 'Love Liberation Lunacy', perhaps not so seriously, regarding people who having just exited from vigorously controlled school lives chaining themselves to another person once again.

I actually just looked up Turkish marriage traditions hoping they had a colourful mix of arabic and greek customs and it turns out they do! Not quite as good as Irish weddings (we get our own dances made up) but there they get their own flag, which is pretty nifty. Anyone know anything unique or special about their marrige ceremonies/traditions?

Reactions:
Cureebtly discussing, in-betweeb finals projects, what the intellgience servide cpuld do to get British involvement in Turkey or Euorpe in general up. Have a few ideas, the best of which involve much more in-universe stuff than actual game effects so it doesnt matter too much what the AI actually does...we're trying to come up with an explination for Rotterdam roo thst doesbt invilve Chamberlain being the New Evil Overlord (as humourous as that is).

Well...yeah! I know you can also use engaged to mean stuck in the bog but not sure why anyone would share that on a creative writing forum...

Thank you very much. And i suppose not, though there are some good aspects to the character. It's orange and blue morality at best though. As it happens students are doing this all over the place around now due to graduations and such. Professor Monmouth dubbed it the 'Love Liberation Lunacy', perhaps not so seriously, regarding people who having just exited from vigorously controlled school lives chaining themselves to another person once again.

I actually just looked up Turkish marriage traditions hoping they had a colourful mix of arabic and greek customs and it turns out they do! Not quite as good as Irish weddings (we get our own dances made up) but there they get their own flag, which is pretty nifty. Anyone know anything unique or special about their marrige ceremonies/traditions?

congratulations man :D

in rural places people are supposed to shoot firearms in the sky and the further east you go the bigger guns get. i've seen people using army grade assault rifles. that is a discouraged tradition though, some people die every year because of stray bullets, drunk people losing their aim at the sky or in the case of really unlucky people shells falling from the sky on top of people.

a better one would be throwing a pomegrante full force to a wall, the more little pieces are spread, the more plentiful the new family's fortunes will be.

there's this mischievous friends trying to get the groom drunk tradition but that is probably a global tradition :)

turkey is actually a very multicultural country so each region has more or less its own unique traditions as well. or for example the dances are completely irrelevant from each other. it is always fun to watch some mildly drunk aunties or uncles trying to dance the dances of the other side.

Reactions:
Chapter 112: Emergency War Cabinet Meeting: Part 1 - the Patriotic Front (1 March 1941)
Chapter 112: Emergency War Cabinet Meeting: Part 1 - the Patriotic Front (1 March 1941)

The strategic situation has been reviewed in detail, options canvassed, maps pored over, plans considered and orbats examined. Now it is time for the War Cabinet to assemble and make contingency plans. A wide range of views is on the table. This entry covers the debate about the possible direction of the war in the main European theatre – the Patriotic Front. The next chapter will deal with the rest of the Cabinet agenda.

---xxx---

First, a reminder of who sits in the War Cabinet.

SGsMhQ.jpg

In addition to the standard membership, the Supreme Commander (Field Marshal Calistar, the former War (Armament) Minister and current propaganda Minister who deputises for Inönü in the Armament portfolio when he is away at the front) and the 1st Army Group Commander (Field Marshal Arikan) are both seconded to the War Cabinet, given the nature of the meeting.

Next, PM Celal Bayar, in his capacity as Head of Government and Cabinet Secretary, formally submits the Agenda for agreement. There are no objections or amendments.

BeDXfs.jpg

He also notes that all Cabinet members (and their advisers) have been provided ample material and the noting comments of various officials and advisors in the lead-up to the meeting [ie the long debate we have conducted in the lead-up is taken as read.]

“We have a war to fight and, while we must give these issues due consideration, our time is precious so let us get on with it.” He pauses, then looks pointedly to Kaya and then Ögel. “And be civil.”

Turning to his Principal Private Secretary, Bayar asks: “Has the room been checked and secured?”

“Yes, Prime Minister. No listening devices were discovered.”

“Good. And you have checked for, ah, any unconventional presences?” No-one wants to use Darth Kelebek’s name aloud, as it seems to have the coincidental effect of having him appear soon after. Even if he currently remains in Switzerland with the Ceylan-run S.I.T.H. network there. They believe.

“Ur, um, yes Prime Minister. I mean, no, Prime Minister – no, ur, unnatural presences were found.” The aide is clearly nervous and a bit flustered.

Despite this (somewhat luke-warm) assurance, there are a number of furtive glances directed at dark corners, the ceiling and under the table. With nothing apparent, the meeting continues.

“Very well then gentlemen, we will proceed to the first item on the agenda. My Milli Şef, were there any opening remarks you wished to make?”

“Only that I encourage a very full and free discussion within these walls. So long as any decision I then take is supported and enforced wholeheartedly outside these walls.” Sycophantic nods abound in response to Inönü’s statement. “I want us to test the full range of options and, for Item 1 in particular. No-one will be derided for advancing imaginative theories.”

---xxx---

Item 1 (a. and b. considered concurrently)

The Cabinet members refresh themselves on the main threat and defensive options that have emerged from the pre-Cabinet discussions. Two large maps are displayed on the purpose-built map-wall to the side of the Cabinet table.

A7X2DM.jpg

The threat is well understood – the worst case German breakthrough in the Ukraine followed by an armoured thrust along the Black Sea coastal corridor towards the Bosporus – ‘Situation Red’.

Km2ajc.jpg

A reminder of the ground and the various intermediate defensive lines under consideration. The Iskandar-Calistar Line is not marked here.

“Örlungat, you have the floor,” says Bayar, nodding towards the Chief of Staff and Air Force Chief.

“Thank you, Prime Minister. First, I would like to share some information that has come to us overnight via our Chief of Military Liaison in Moscow – Agent Boğafiltresi. In the last few weeks, the Soviets have managed to secure an intact German heavy panzer – the PzKpfw VI or ‘Tiger’. He was permitted to view it at Stalin’s secret installation at ‘Patriot Park’, outside Moscow, and also pass on the specifications.”

TeAkkY.jpg

RvJG2s.jpg

b6dj2N.jpg

[Don't worry about the little anachronisms in the Russian description here, of a slightly later-model Tiger. We have started the war a year early, after all. ;)]

Army Chief Yamut takes up the commentary. “The Soviet information provided through Boğafiltresi has been translated and compared to the heaviest tank in the current Soviet inventory – the new T-34 medium tank – and the heavier IS-1s we have ordered and begun producing on license. Of interest: not only do the Soviets not have any heavy tanks in their current inventory (not even a brigade of the old KV designs) but they have none in production at present either. And of course, as we well know, it would take many months for any new Soviet heavy tanks to come on line even if they started producing them now. As it stands, it looks like we will have a heavy tank brigade before they will!”

Tnr98e.jpg

“As you can see from this table, in the key characteristics, these Tigers can heavily outperform the best counterpart the Soviets will be able to field for the foreseeable future. They are a fearsome beast, as Boğafiltresi’s pictures testify. Our IS-1s, when they come on line around the end of this year, will not quite match the Tiger of today (and not knowing what upgrades the Germans may incorporate by then), but it will not be too far behind. But for now, this means wherever we see German Tigers at the front, we know it will be very hard to contain them. It may partly explain the trouble the Soviets are having at the moment. These weren’t present before the fall of France – they are now. And we have seen the result. We would fare no better if they are sent against us. I’m glad we have been building new TDs in the meantime: we may need them on the Calistar Line in coming weeks and months!”

This sobering analysis leaves the table quiet. Örlungat breaks the short silence, resuming his presentation with what he hopes are cautiously encouraging words. The aim here is clear-eyed realism, not pessimistic defeatism.

“Gentlemen, we all know the situation in the Ukraine is not yet lost. Our Soviet allies may contain this German offensive in the south. The Romanians may hold. The mud may slow the Germans down, giving up plenty of time to react to further developments.” Calistar pauses for effect. “But we cannot rely on any of that. We need plans in mind in case the worst should befall us and Situation Red, as described by the staff in your Cabinet materials, should come to pass at any time … from tomorrow onwards. Do we now attack to pre-empt such a breakthrough? Hold where we are for as long as possible, then fight a rolling contested withdrawal? Start to establish an intermediate defensive line somewhere in the Balkans? Or, as soon as the main line is in peril, retreat immediately all the way back to our prepared defences in Greece and the Bosporus? Arikan, I believe you had some views to put.”

“I do indeed. Some of our foremost military experts [eg Nukeluru Slorepi, Agent SkitalecS3 and LTCOL Diskoerekto] have argued in favour of an offensive option at some key point along the Yeniçeri Line to take advantage of any local superiority that may develop over the Axis forces there and to possibly relieve pressure on our allies – even help prevent a breakthrough in the southern Soviet sector of the Patriotic Front.” Arikan pauses for reactions.

“Sound thinking, certainly in theory,” noted Inönü, who in operational matters always prefers the offence if possible. “You will all recall we had contingency plans last year for a possible strike towards Budapest to knock Hungary out of the war before we were ourselves attacked there, followed by the fall of France. And we had hoped for some Soviet Expeditionary Force allocations in the Balkans. They dutifully sent a decent smattering of divisions to bolster the line, but no EFs that would have allowed us full control. We can look for attacking opportunities – I’m just not convinced we will be able to exercise them prudently. And our manpower reserves and margin for error are far less than for our Soviet brothers. But the thought remains tempting.”

“My President, you know I mistrust any such plans,” offers Army Chief Yamut, a known static defence proponent. “The rewards are limited and the risks great. I was dubious about defending forward at all. It has worked so far, but in the event of a breakout I’d feel far more comfortable behind our Iskandar-Calistar Line. The survival of the Motherland must come first – the Balkans are valuable, I’m not advocating we retreat yet or throw them away lightly – but they are all expendable.”

“I will bear that in mind, Mehmet Nuri, and think you may be right, but we will keep our eyes open just in case. Though my fear is that if the Russians need us to launch an attack with at most 4-5 divisions (the maximum we could muster and still hold the rest of the line) to save them … well, the line would already be irretrievably broken. They would rather we fell back and kept fighting than be destroyed in the Balkans and let the Axis attack them through the Caucasus.”

Inönü pauses then says: “Let us move on now to defensive options; assume we will hold in place as long as we can but will fall back when the situation demands it. Give me your thoughts.”

Yamut cuts in first. “My views are already stated and well known. Once the Yeniçeri Line has served its purpose, we should retreat immediately to the fortified lines. There is no point risking ourselves in the field with a rampant Wehrmacht bearing down on us. Let us bleed them on our forts, while the Russians do it in their vast hinterland. We can strike back when they are weakened and we are ready.”

“I’m with Yamut on this,” chimes in Calistar – the architect of the fortification plan as the previous War Minister and still a firm adherent as Supreme (Theatre) Commander. “No half measures. The forward defence has bought more time than we ever thought it would and may buy some more yet. But when it is done, we must cut away the Balkans, no matter how it hurts, and not bother even trying to defend Bucharest for a minute. It is too exposed and surrounded by indefensible terrain.” [The Kelebek Approach.]

“So we turn from cats to mice?” replies Arikan, who prefers a more forward-leaning approach entirely. “If we can’t attack, then we can at least slow them down – especially if it is the Italians and Hungarians in front of us. By all means let us not risk being isolated and cut off in the west, but there is good terrain there to conduct a fighting withdrawal – even perhaps some local counter-attacks against exposed forces." [As advocated by analysts such as SkitalecS3, LTCOL Diskoerekto and the mysterious operative known only as Wraith11B].

Arikan continues: “It would be your choice, My President, based on what you see in front of you and what happens with the Soviets in the Ukraine, but I would advocate we hold the Yeniçeri Line as long as possible. If pressed from the north-east, see if we can convince our allies to help us man the Green Line advocated by LTCOL Diskoerekto, even if that is just a holding line that allows our subsequent line of defence to establish itself. If that is impractical or falls quickly, we should use the Blue Line, but extended to the Adriatic coast along the Tirane-Skopje line, as argued by SkitalecS3. If pressed or if the enemy are thrusting through towards Istanbul, forces there can either fight their way back to the Iskandar Line in Greece, or move back to the Giannitsa-Salonica segment of the Blue Line, swinging back like a door closing towards the Bosporus.”

Yamut and Calistar shake their heads, but others around the table are more receptive to Arikan's arguments.

“What would you do about Bucharest then, if we do adopt this fighting withdrawal to an intermediate line?” asks Chief of Staff Örlungat – an airman, so not as confident in matters of ground strategy.

“I am in two minds about that. Some - especially Nukeluru Slorepi and our Romanian liaison RasaUrs75 - believe we should try to hold it for as long as we possibly can, as Romania would be forced out of the war otherwise. LTCOL Diskoerekto would also like to defend Ploiesti, but the rest of us think that just too exposed. And if, as I suggest, we do more to hold in the west, it means fewer troops to hold the exposed coastal plain around Bucharest.”

Yamut again intervenes. “If we are looking at this intermediate line, much as I dislike it and would prefer the forts and provincial AA of the Calistar Line, I say contract the line, leave Bucharest to the Romanians to defend – it’s their capital – and shorten the Blue Line to the Varna axis. That way we may at least hold Sofiya as well as Athens, only losing Beograd of our great Balkan Glorious Union cities. Our GRU liaison SkitalecS3 favours it and I agree with him, if we are to make the best of what I still think is a dangerous plan. It may be harsh, but as Darth Kelebek has said, they are in the end ‘meat shields’ for the Motherland.”

There is a pause, which lengthens, until Bayar looks around the table to see if any more wish to comment. Inönü nods at him and makes one last observation: “In my capacity as War Minister, I would also remind everyone that we can ask our allies to defend key terrain, but they may not respond or may later be given other tasks even if they do take up a line we suggest. We cannot order them. Therefor we cannot rely on them. Any line we hold for any period of time must be sustainable using our own forces alone. In the end, a shortened Blue Line or indeed the Iskandar-Calistar Line are the only ones we are fairly confident of holding by ourselves. And under a concerted German-led attack at its full strength, I judge that only the Calistar fortifications and terrain will hold them. The Iskandar Line would be a coin toss, so we need our navy available for evacuations from southern Greece if required. With that, I will consider this item by myself and then return to you. You should be clear on my views regarding this item before we move onto the rest of the agenda, as it will affect our plans for the Saudis in particular.”

He gestures for the Cabinet to take a break. They move off for a mid-morning snack, while Inönü retreats to his office to confirm his thoughts and issue his direction to the Cabinet.”

---xxx---

A Break for Refreshment and Consideration

h8FiUQ.jpg

The Cabinet members enjoy a tasty morning snack.

sH23pS.jpg

And an energising cup of coffee.

CJGTBg.jpg

While President Inönü retires to his office to ponder the next tricky route along the Path to Glory.

---xxx---

After a break of half an hour, the Cabinet reassembles under Bayar’s guidance. A short time later, Ismet Inönü returns: the Cabinet members stand until he is seated at the head of the table.

“Gentlemen, I have been impressed by all the debate that has gone into today’s consideration. Please pass on my particular appreciation for all our advisers, commentators and liaison officers who have contributed to the process. It has made it a well-rounded and thorough debate, providing me with a range of options I will be able to employ should the situation continue to deteriorate.”

“Let me provide you with my overall intent. It must by necessity be flexible, as in large part we must react to both the actions of our enemies and the response of our allies. We cannot fool ourselves into believing we can exercise anything other than local, occasional and temporary initiative in this great fight. The overall fate of the Patriotic Front, and thus our part of it in the Yeniçeri Line, is largely in the hands of others.” He pauses to regard each member of the Cabinet with a firm gaze. “But we must never forget that our own fate, that of the Glorious Union and of our Turkish Motherland, remains in our own strong hands.”

“First, while I will look for opportunities, I am not optimistic about the potential for any localised offensives or even counter-attacks. I do not plan to launch any major offensive to relieve pressure on the Soviets in the event they look like collapsing: it would be but a pinprick compared to the forces they can marshal. Remember, our entire combined efforts were not enough to defeat or even seriously distract Germany even while all their armour was engaged on the Western Front against France. Who they still managed to defeat before the end of 1940.”

“I will not say never, but in these circumstances, we must preserve our troops and manpower reserves for a long and hard fight. And not risk a devastating counter-attack against exhausted troops tired after such an offensive, just when Romania may be failing and the Soviets in retreat to their own almost endless Motherland. That said, I think we may find some opportunities to give the Axis – especially any incautious minor Axis forces – a bloody nose if they overextend themselves.” There are a few nods and “Huzzahs” around the table at this.

“As to a defensive plan, I will consider the various options that have been advanced, as our reaction will depend on whether the Germans first break-through against the Soviets and/or the Romanians, and second whether they send strong mechanised forces our way, especially along the Black Sea coast.”

“If we can persuade our allies to cooperate and the Axis advance is not a full-on blitzkrieg, I will contemplate thinning but holding the Yeniçeri Line and trying to extend it east through the mountains to St. Georg: the mooted Green Line. We will give that plan the codename Operation Kommando, in honour of its chief proponent, our Mountaineer Kommando School CO, LTCOL Diskoerekto. Vur! Vur ha! But in all likelihood, this line – if it becomes a feasible option – would I think be more of a temporary delay line.”

“Assuming we have the time and prospects to establish it properly, the substantive intermediate line will be the shortened Blue Line, stretching from Tirane, through Skopje, then following the original Blue Line to the north of Sofiya and then across to Varna. That eastern flank on the coastal plain will need the strongest protection and unit density, as it has no natural defences. Simultaneously, we would issue defensive objectives for the Romanians and Soviets for the forward element of the Blue Line trying to hold Bucharest. If they do, then well and good. If not, we will curl into a small ball and see how long we can protect Sofiya and the bulk of the Bulgarian GNR.”

“The western flank, as discussed earlier in our meeting, will be thinned to units we expect to eventually hold the Iskandar Line. They can fight their way back in a delaying defence down the Greek peninsula for as long as they can stretch it out. But as soon as this new intermediate Blue Line is formed, one division each will be sent back to both Patra and Athens to begin entrenching. We must have a firm, fully entrenched, rested and 100% organised defence in both of those places when the harried stragglers start coming back. I expect to start thickening that rearward defence as the main line falls back closer to the Iskandar Line. Ideally, by the time the enemy makes contact with it, there would be at least two fully prepared, entrenched and organised divisions in each location, plus others resting behind them and getting ready to rotate into the front line. A bare minimum of a full corps of five divisions will be required to hold southern Greece – preferably with a few more in reserve if possible. Some of those may be garrison or militia divisions assembled from withdrawing port garrisons to the north. Their lack of mobility will be less important when engaging in a static defence in a supporting role.”

“The main Blue Line defence of Bulgaria and Thrace would more closely resemble the Yeniçeri Line in nature, if we can arrange it in time. Some careful timing will be required if the Tirane-Skopje sector has to withdraw first – the ‘swinging door’ back to Salonica could be hard to arrange, especially if we don’t have sufficient units to establish it properly before the enemy is upon it. There are too many variables of timing, enemy action, allied cooperation (or lack of it) and the state of our own units to know what will happen with any surety. So, if activated, Operation Mavi (‘Blue’) will be our main intermediate line. If we can hold it indefinitely and protect Sofiya, excellent. If not, it will be a withdrawal to the Calistar Line.”

“As mentioned above, we would call on the Romanians and (if they can spare the units) the Soviets to make a defence of the Bucharest area. To distinguish it from the original Blue Line plan, we will call this request to our allies Operation Sari (Yellow), to defend the Bucharest Salient.

“For our final defence, we would revert substantially to our original plan, with one corps each to look after Canakkale (2nd Corps, with both the current mountain divisions required there, so they will not be available for the bulk of any fighting withdrawal in Greece) and Istanbul (our premier formation, 1st Corps). In each case, the Corps HQs with their specialist troops would take direct part in the defence of both places.”

“I have also note our advisers mentioned the need for having triggers in mind for any withdrawal from current positions, to try to ensure we leave neither too early nor too late. I will exercise judgement on this as the circumstances develop and consult commanders and advisers if necessary. But in general terms, I have in mind the following as triggers. They are in no particular order:
  • A serious breach of the Yeniçeri Line that we cannot quickly rectify through a counter-attack or the establishment a new line of defence immediately in front of the break.

• A collapse of the line in Romania that sees the enemy approaching the open plains to the north of the Carpathians.

• The crossing of any major force, especially German armour, into open plains territory over Romania’s eastern border.

• The seizure of Odessa by the Axis.”
“This is not to say I would necessarily wait for these things to occur before ordering a withdrawal, but I think if the latter two occurred it would be too late to enact at least Operation Kommando, if not Operations Mavi and Sari.”

“I have had my Adjutant mark up a map depicting these various lines and trigger points. They will be a guide, but not a rigid plan. I authorise its sharing, under strictest security protocols and limited distribution, with our Romanian and Soviet allies. They will need to know our ‘red lines’ in order to plan their own responses. I do not believe any of these are unreasonable.”

sJmJH7.jpg

“Aras,” says Inönü, turning to his Foreign Minister, who has until now said little. “You are to particularly reassure the Soviets that we will hold until the last safe moment in the event of a German breakout. But inform them that we, like they, will then ensure we remain in the anti-Fascist fight, keep their southern flank secure, do our part to drain the Fascist beast of its life’s blood, and march with them shoulder to shoulder when it comes time to attack and destroy the monster in its nest.”

“With Romania ... we must be a bit sensitive in our dealings with them. Stress our hopes that none of this will be necessary, that if there is a retreat it may be possible to hold the Kommando Line, but only with their and Soviet help. If that fails, they must be prepared to defend themselves in Bucharest, while we try to hold off everything else to the west of that. Much as we have done so far.”

“There is one other task I want your advice on. You too, Ögel. Consult your experts and analysts on this and give me the best advice you can. If Romania falls on the loss of Bucharest, I’m assuming they will form a Government-in-Exile, given they are members of the Comintern Pact. But would all their forces, here and in the Far East, surrender? Or will any on foreign territory at that point fight on? This will not only be important to our Soviet allies in their fight against Japan but will affect how we ask them to fight if it comes to the last ditch around Bucharest. If we assume that any Romanian units on their own territory will surrender but those on our or Soviet territory may continue to fight - whether in their own colours or perhaps even becoming Expeditionary Forces – then we may try to formulate a plan to encourage some of them to fall back to our territory before the end, even if it means temporarily running interference for them in Bucharest (or seeing if the Soviets could, if they have units left in the area by then). Depending on your answers, I may modify some of our plans if the time comes.”

“That is all on this Item, Bayar. Let us now move onto the next.”

---xxx---

Author’s Note: I felt this was enough for one entry, rather than tapping out a single over-long Cabinet Minute. It will also give some room in the next chapter for a little more on some of the narrative side-stories that have been pushed somewhat further to the side of late due to the press of critical battlefield issues.

Coming Up: The rest of the Cabinet agenda, including invasion plans for Saudi Arabia, espionage plans and production issues will be debated. Will Turkey be setting the pace for regional events – or waiting on others to take the initiative and then counter-punching? Can the Soviets hold the Germans, or at least slow them down considerably? Can Romania survive or - in a domino effect - has the lamentable and preventable fall of France also doomed Turkey’s close ally?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If I am reading the stats of that Tiger Tank right they use up about twice the amount of fuel any tanks that are used, or will be used, by Turkey or the USSR have. And, maybe I am wrong, but more open to attack from aircraft. Maybe making them a high priority for your tactical aircraft?

Reactions:
If I am reading the stats of that Tiger Tank right they use up about twice the amount of fuel any tanks that are used, or will be used, by Turkey or the USSR have. And, maybe I am wrong, but more open to attack from aircraft. Maybe making them a high priority for your tactical aircraft?
Mainly right, I think, but the IS-1s (when built) will chew up even more fuel that the Tigers and will be slower (really, a foot-infantry support tank or AT unit).

Reactions:
He pauses, then looks pointedly to Kaya and then Ögel. “And be civil.”

I love how much of a cast we have here and how much history they have with each other. Adds some personality to the cabinet.

Turning to his Principal Private Secretary, Bayar asks: “Has the room been checked and secured?”

...you do realise he's S.I.T.H. right? Most of the office has been since that regrettable airplane incident.

“Good. And you have checked for, ah, any unconventional presences?” No-one wants to use Darth Kelebek’s name aloud, as it seems to have the coincidental effect of having him appear soon after. Even if he currently remains in Switzerland with the Ceylan-run S.I.T.H. network there. They believe.

Ah, yes...he's actually alternating between funerals, weddings, school and hospital right now so unlikely to barge in unexpectedly. Mind you, this shows the power of a reputation such as his. Absent in reality but absolutly no one can relax. Thrown used this to good effect years after his own death.

Despite this (somewhat luke-warm) assurance, there are a number of furtive glances directed at dark corners, the ceiling and under the table. With nothing apparent, the meeting continues.

One day he's just going to be sitting there quietly next to someone and they'll just miss him completely as they search literally everywhere but looking at the people in the room.

Of interest: not only do the Soviets not have any heavy tanks in their current inventory (not even a brigade of the old KV designs) but they have none in production at present either. And of course, as we well know, it would take many months for any new Soviet heavy tanks to come on line even if they started producing them now. As it stands, it looks like we will have a heavy tank brigade before they will!”

That's...horrible news and indicative that the worst collapse is more likely now. The Germans could get quite far into Russia between now and the winter if the Russians are only now getting around to putting heavy tanks through factories.

But for now, this means wherever we see German Tigers at the front, we know it will be very hard to contain them. It may partly explain the trouble the Soviets are having at the moment. These weren’t present before the fall of France – they are now. And we have seen the result. We would fare no better if they are sent against us. I’m glad we have been building new TDs in the meantime: we may need them on the Calistar Line in coming weeks and months!”

This makes falling back to the best and strongest line we have look more appealing. It is admittedly the easy way, but there's a reason to go down that route.

“I do indeed. Some of our foremost military experts [eg Nukeluru Slorepi, Agent SkitalecS3 and LTCOL Diskoerekto] have argued in favour of an offensive option at some key point along the Yeniçeri Line to take advantage of any local superiority that may develop over the Axis forces there and to possibly relieve pressure on our allies – even help prevent a breakthrough in the southern Soviet sector of the Patriotic Front.” Arikan pauses for reactions.

That isn't happening now or in the near future, andis agreed that past that, a retreat is inevitable.

“My President, you know I mistrust any such plans,” offers Army Chief Yamut, a known static defence proponent. “The rewards are limited and the risks great. I was dubious about defending forward at all. It has worked so far, but in the event of a breakout I’d feel far more comfortable behind our Iskandar-Calistar Line. The survival of the Motherland must come first – the Balkans are valuable – I’m not advocating we retreat yet or throw them away lightly – but they are all expendable.”

Correct, if cold.

“I’m with Yamut on this,” chimes in Calistar – the architect of the fortification plan as the previous War Minister and still an firm adherent as Supreme (Theatre) Commander. “No half measures. The forward defence has bought more time than we ever thought it would and may but some more yet. But when it is done, we must cut away the Balkans, no matter how it hurts, and not bother even trying to defend Bucharest for a minute. It is too exposed and surrounded by indefensible terrain.”

Ibid.

[The Kelebek Approach.]

Snappy. And careful, wouldn't want to summon something you can't put down...

“So we turn from cats to mice?” replies Arikan,

You harden your heart at the door to this office. If you sit at the table, you remove it all together. (K made this easy and put a plaque up).

“If we can’t attack, then we can at least slow them down – especially if it is the Italians and Hungarians in front of us. By all means let us not risk being isolated and cut off in the west, but there is good terrain there to conduct a fighting withdrawal – even perhaps some local counter-attacks against exposed forces." [As advocated by analysts such as SkitalecS3, LTCOL Diskoerekto and the mysterious operative known only as Wraith11B].

Tempting, because this sort of ballsy luck filled campaign got turkey to where it is now, but a true the same time, the stakes have been increasing exponentially every time we try this way. Luck will fail eventually.

Yamut again intervenes. “If we are looking at this intermediate line, much as I dislike it and would prefer the forts and provincial AA of the Calistar Line, I say contract the line, leave Bucharest to the Romanians to defend – it’s their capital – and shorten the Blue Line to the Varna axis. That way we may at least hold Sofiya as well as Athens, only losing Beograd of our great Balkan Glorious Union cities. Our GRU liaison SkitalecS3 favours it and I agree with him, if we are to make the best of what I still think is a dangerous plan.

Hmm, well this seems an interesting line of thought. But what's this?

It may be harsh, but as Darth Kelebek has said, they are in the end ‘meat shields’ for the Motherland.”

The words rolled heavily off the tongue and hung in the air. Ministers that had been nodding along to the various arguments propose do stopped. Depending on their constitution and belief system, they either sighed at the melodramatics of a clearly lunatic Intelligence a Director or crossed themselves in terror of the Demon Spy.

The double doors opened smoothly and Kelebek walked in. It seemed to be in a good mood, for the lights barely flickered, no one felt a sudden urge to cry or shiver and generally speaking the room didn't feel like a butchers shop with a tiger in it.
The figure paused however when it saw no chair or space was prepared or waiting for it. The temperature plummeted. The president's private secretary looked as though he had forgotten Jesus' birthday just as He showed up for cake.

"One moment," Kelebek said, from beneath its hood. It then strode out of the room and did not return. A few people nervously tittered. Some dared to breath normally again. The president himself could not help but notice how Kaya had gone ghostly white and Ogel a very colourful mixture of purple and red. Before he could wonder any further, a loud bang echoed from somewhere down the hall. Then a screeching sound bega, drawing nearer and nearer the room until everyone whom couldn't stand without embarsment was as far away from the doors as possible. Calistar, whom sat at the other end of the table and thus had his back to the doors had not moved, but even he was beginning to look uncomfortable.

Then Kelebek reappeared, dragging an enormous wingbacked chair into the room. Placing it in the corner, Kelebek sat and made a snapping sound with what appeared to be fingers. Two S.I.T.H. uniforms appeared at the door and stood to attention. If the atmosphere was tense before, now it was terse. S.I.T.H. Uniformed agents ('kloaks' as they were called in the building) never guarded cabinet troops meetings. They existed solely to do Kelebek's bidding, which for them was often inflict nastiness onto foreign agents and traitors.

"Don't mind us." Kelebek spoke. But everyone did. The president raised an eyebrow as the rest of the room settled and Yamut attempted to martial his thoughts. Kelebek stared back, and ever so slightly shook its head.

In my capacity as War Minister, I would also remind everyone that we can ask our allies to defend key terrain,

We aren't actually going to rely on that though, right? We aren't France in another universe after all...

Any line we hold for any period of time must be sustainable using our own forces alone. In the end, only a shortened Blue Line or indeed the Iskandar-Calistar Line are the only ones we are fairly confident of holding by ourselves. And under a concerted German-led attack at its full strength, I judge that only the Calistar fortifications and terrain will hold them. The Iskandar Line would be a coin toss, so we need our navy available for evacuations from southern Greece if required.

Well, those are our realistic options then, I suppose.

While President Inönü retires to his office to ponder the next tricky route along the Path to Glory.

Kelebek was already there, though it seemed preoccupied now by the view outside the window rather than the president's office. Inönü cleared his throat.

"Well?"
"Chamberlain called." Kelebek tilted its head as a car drove past on the road far below. Then it turned to the president, "He's dying."

That was unexpected, though from Inönü's perspective not unwelcome. The British PM had been a continually pest and thrown in the side of the war effort against the Axis, for them and even his own Allies. But Kelebek would send a report to tell him simply this. A personal meeting indicated...

"He asked for a deal?"
"He did. I accepted. He was...particularly generous."
"What did he give you?"
"The Iraqi Army. Well, most of it. A wicked deed of course but the man seems past the point of sanity most days. His advisors worry about keeping it secret. They should be worried about far greater things. He's planning something big. Has been for a while."
"What?"
"I cannot say. I would warn you that the game hasn't changed however. Killing Hitler and pleasing Stalin will not be enough any more."

Inönü nodded and thought for a bit. Whilst troubling, Chamberlain would have to wait until later.

"Have you been pressuring Ögel?" He asked, "He's necessary to keep Kaya in check."
"Neither of them are necessary," Kelebek replied. S.I.T.H. remains the only competent branch of Intelligence and we both know your...staff, cannot rule there. The ambassador has been far more helpful than those two have..." it tailed off. "It's all in the Swiss report. We've found some ways of getting to them, and the Italians. And the British, if you really want to poke the hornet's nest. But now I must go."

The shadows actually seemed to disperse for a moment before realigning into a figure. "It has been a trying month."

“First, while I will look for opportunities, I am not optimistic about the potential for any localised offensives or even counter-attacks. I do not plan to launch any major offensive to relieve pressure on the Soviets in the event they look like collapsing: it would be but a pinprick compared to the forces they can marshal. Remember, our entire combined efforts were not enough to defeat or even seriously distract Germany even while all their armour was engaged on the Western Front against France. Who they still managed to defeat before the end of 1940.”

All true and something to bear in mind. We are basically servicing as a distraction for italian and Hungarian troops, and ensuring the Black Sea remains open to Russian ships. That is all. And we have to remember that is our use to the soviets.

So, if activated, Operation Mavi (‘Blue’) will be our main intermediate line. If we can hold it indefinitely and protect Sofiya, excellent. If not, it will be a withdrawal to the Calistar Line.”

“Aras,” says Inönü, turning to his Foreign Minister, who has until now said little. “You are to particularly reassure the Soviets that we will hold until the last safe moment in the event of a German breakout. But inform them that we, like they, will then ensure we remain in the anti-Fascist fight, keep their southern flank secure, do our part to drain the Fascist beast of its life’s blood, and march with them shoulder to shoulder when it comes time to attack and destroy the monster in its nest.”

In summary, I think it's clear we need to get back to some solid defensive ground quickly . From what I've seen, if a breakout is imminent, the Russians do no to have the power to prevent the collapse of everything west of the Black Sea coast. Romania then is probably doomed and we shouldn't waste too much defending it unless we want to evacuate their army for our own use. In the end, we are going to need the cslistar line so we need to be able to get to it unempeeded within days, wherever the temporary line is.

Reactions:
I love how much of a cast we have here and how much history they have with each other. Adds some personality to the cabinet.

...you do realise he's S.I.T.H. right? Most of the office has been since that regrettable airplane incident.

Ah, yes...he's actually alternating between funerals, weddings, school and hospital right now so unlikely to barge in unexpectedly. Mind you, this shows the power of a reputation such as his. Absent in reality but absolutly no one can relax. Thrown used this to good effect years after his own death.

One day he's just going to be sitting there quietly next to someone and they'll just miss him completely as they search literally everywhere but looking at the people in the room.

That's...horrible news and indicative that the worst collapse is more likely now. The Germans could get quite far into Russia between now and the winter if the Russians are only now getting around to putting heavy tanks through factories.

This makes falling back to the best and strongest line we have look more appealing. It is admittedly the easy way, but there's a reason to go down that route.

That isn't happening now or in the near future, andis agreed that past that, a retreat is inevitable.

Correct, if cold.

Ibid.

Snappy. And careful, wouldn't want to summon something you can't put down...

You harden your heart at the door to this office. If you sit at the table, you remove it all together. (K made this easy and put a plaque up).

Tempting, because this sort of ballsy luck filled campaign got turkey to where it is now, but a true the same time, the stakes have been increasing exponentially every time we try this way. Luck will fail eventually.

Hmm, well this seems an interesting line of thought. But what's this?

The words rolled heavily off the tongue and hung in the air. Ministers that had been nodding along to the various arguments propose do stopped. Depending on their constitution and belief system, they either sighed at the melodramatics of a clearly lunatic Intelligence a Director or crossed themselves in terror of the Demon Spy.

The double doors opened smoothly and Kelebek walked in. It seemed to be in a good mood, for the lights barely flickered, no one felt a sudden urge to cry or shiver and generally speaking the room didn't feel like a butchers shop with a tiger in it.
The figure paused however when it saw no chair or space was prepared or waiting for it. The temperature plummeted. The president's private secretary looked as though he had forgotten Jesus' birthday just as He showed up for cake.

"One moment," Kelebek said, from beneath its hood. It then strode out of the room and did not return. A few people nervously tittered. Some dared to breath normally again. The president himself could not help but notice how Kaya had gone ghostly white and Ogel a very colourful mixture of purple and red. Before he could wonder any further, a loud bang echoed from somewhere down the hall. Then a screeching sound bega, drawing nearer and nearer the room until everyone whom couldn't stand without embarsment was as far away from the doors as possible. Calistar, whom sat at the other end of the table and thus had his back to the doors had not moved, but even he was beginning to look uncomfortable.

Then Kelebek reappeared, dragging an enormous wingbacked chair into the room. Placing it in the corner, Kelebek sat and made a snapping sound with what appeared to be fingers. Two S.I.T.H. uniforms appeared at the door and stood to attention. If the atmosphere was tense before, now it was terse. S.I.T.H. Uniformed agents ('kloaks' as they were called in the building) never guarded cabinet troops meetings. They existed solely to do Kelebek's bidding, which for them was often inflict nastiness onto foreign agents and traitors.

"Don't mind us." Kelebek spoke. But everyone did. The president raised an eyebrow as the rest of the room settled and Yamut attempted to martial his thoughts. Kelebek stared back, and ever so slightly shook its head.

We aren't actually going to rely on that though, right? We aren't France in another universe after all...

Well, those are our realistic options then, I suppose.

Kelebek was already there, though it seemed preoccupied now by the view outside the window rather than the president's office. Inönü cleared his throat.

"Well?"
"Chamberlain called." Kelebek tilted its head as a car drove past on the road far below. Then it turned to the president, "He's dying."

That was unexpected, though from Inönü's perspective not unwelcome. The British PM had been a continually pest and thrown in the side of the war effort against the Axis, for them and even his own Allies. But Kelebek would send a report to tell him simply this. A personal meeting indicated...

"He asked for a deal?"
"He did. I accepted. He was...particularly generous."
"What did he give you?"
"The Iraqi Army. Well, most of it. A wicked deed of course but the man seems past the point of sanity most days. His advisors worry about keeping it secret. They should be worried about far greater things. He's planning something big. Has been for a while."
"What?"
"I cannot say. I would warn you that the game hasn't changed however. Killing Hitler and pleasing Stalin will not be enough any more."

Inönü nodded and thought for a bit. Whilst troubling, Chamberlain would have to wait until later.

"Have you been pressuring Ögel?" He asked, "He's necessary to keep Kaya in check."
"Neither of them are necessary," Kelebek replied. S.I.T.H. remains the only competent branch of Intelligence and we both know your...staff, cannot rule there. The ambassador has been far more helpful than those two have..." it tailed off. "It's all in the Swiss report. We've found some ways of getting to them, and the Italians. And the British, if you really want to poke the hornet's nest. But now I must go."

The shadows actually seemed to disperse for a moment before realigning into a figure. "It has been a trying month."

All true and something to bear in mind. We are basically servicing as a distraction for italian and Hungarian troops, and ensuring the Black Sea remains open to Russian ships. That is all. And we have to remember that is our use to the soviets.

In summary, I think it's clear we need to get back to some solid defensive ground quickly . From what I've seen, if a breakout is imminent, the Russians do no to have the power to prevent the collapse of everything west of the Black Sea coast. Romania then is probably doomed and we shouldn't waste too much defending it unless we want to evacuate their army for our own use. In the end, we are going to need the cslistar line so we need to be able to get to it unempeeded within days, wherever the temporary line is.
Love the work, especially Kelebek’s appearance after the incautious mention of its name aloud (fortunately for Yamut it was a positive reference). I audibly laughed as it entered the room! Inonu will be keeping a very close eye on things - he may take a few local risks but will try to avoid existential ones. And like Ataturk in this ATL, Chamberlain seems to be hanging around longer than I had expected. Perse is most upset.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Love the work, especially Kelebek’s appearance after the incautious mention of its name aloud (fortunately for Yamut it was a positive reference). I audibly laughed as it entered the room! Inonu will be keeping a very close eye on things - he may take a few local risks but will try to avoid existential ones. And like Ataturk in this ATL, Chamberlain seems to be hanging around longer than I had expected. Perse is most upset.

Much like the former president, Chamberlain is meddling in powers Man was not meant to know etc. Stalin may well be too, depending on how long the war lasts (Hitler is just nuts though, looking for biblical weapons rather than just picking up the phone and calling K).

But yeah, needs to be some reason for C to stick around, especially as he had several things going wrong with him before the war. mind you Chruchill OtL put so many toxins in his body without dying until the sixties so...

Reactions:
Very exciting cabinet meeting, I was so pumped reading this. It all seems dire now but we'll clinch our heels in the sacred soil that our ancestors and theirs before them watered with their blood which gave the color to our glorious flag!!! Kelebek or Yamut or whoever bigwig is talking up there, advocating withdrawal before it is the only way out left is treason. Even if we have to fall back to line after line to İskender and Çalıştar, we will bleed the fascist scum and make them die for it while we fall back. Take a bullet from your backup magazines and look at it long, recruits. This bullet and the others after it are all to meet the skulls of some fascists. Many of our souls will be resting in the sky with the Gök Tengri and will be a part of the streams, the hills, the forests and the caves that are the land that we will die defending. But we will crush every last bone in their foul bodies with all the strength that is bestowed upon us through our noble traditions of millenia.

Or at least this is what LTCOL Diskoerekto was reportedly shouting in his office (which is a tent on top of a mountain overlooking the lake where soldiers train) from the top of his lungs. Then ordered desert fighting added to the curriculum in the deserts of Konya a hundred kilometers to the northeast.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very exciting cabinet meeting, I was so pumped reading this. It all seems dire now but we'll clinch our heels in the sacred soil that our ancestors and theirs before them watered with their blood which gave the color to our glorious flag!!! Kelebek or Yamut or whoever bigwig is talking up there, advocating withdrawal before it is the only way out left is treason. Even if we have to fall back to line after line to İskender and Çalıştar, we will bleed the fascist scum and make them die for it while we fall back. Take a bullet from your backup magazines and look at it long, recruits. This bullet and the others after it are all to meet the skulls of some fascists. Many of our souls will be resting in the sky with the Gök Tengri and will be a part of the streams, the hills, the forests and the caves that are the land that we will die defending. But we will crush every last bone in their foul bodies with all the strength that is bestowed upon us through our noble traditions of millenia.

Or at least this is what LTCOL Diskoerekto was reportedly shouting in his office (which is a tent on top of a mountain overlooking the lake where soldiers train) from the top of his lungs. Then ordered desert fighting added to the curriculum in the deserts of Konya a hundred kilometers to the northeast.
Vur, vur ha! :D Glad it got the adrenalin going! Yamut and Calistar are just going with their characteristics and at heart only want to protect the glorious Turkish heartland. They will happily enough defend forward while it is (in their view) wise to do so, but if there is a break among the Comintern allies, they don’t want Turkey dragged down with them. But Inonu is made of bolder stuff and is willing to risk a bit more before surrendering the Balkan ‘empire’ entirely.

But LTCOL Diskoerekto is right to be imbuing his recruits with a fierce and merciless fighting spirit - it will be needed. In the meantime, we can continue to hope that the dire contingencies being planned for so diligently do not occur. Or too quickly, anyway!

Reactions:
But LTCOL Diskoerekto is right to be imbuing his recruits with a fierce and merciless fighting spirit
well the game does give MTN some extra morale or org, right? That should be earned in universe like that:D

Reactions:
“If we can persuade our allies to cooperate and the Axis advance is not a full-on blitzkrieg, I will contemplate thinning but holding the Yeniçeri Line and trying to extend it east through the mountains to St. Georg: the mooted Green Line. We will give that plan the codename Operation Kommando, in honour of its chief proponent, our Mountaineer Kommando School CO, LTCOL Diskoerekto. Vur! Vur ha! But in all likelihood, this line – if it becomes a feasible option – would I think be more of a temporary delay line.”

An honor this is to hear it from Milli Şef İnönü. I also suggest that the line that will be formed after Operation Kommando can be called Sipahi Line since Sipahis used to complement Yeniçeris (and were cavalry which would probably be the divisions on the black sea coast).

Vur! Vur ha! :D

Reactions:
Well we do need some desert training because since we are decided on either a figjting retreat or swift withdrawal, I think we can all agree the Middle East needs to be cleaned up. Arabia AND Syria.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well we do need some desert training because since we are decided on either a figjting retreat or swift withdrawal, I think we can all agree the Middle East needs to be cleaned up. Arabia AND Syria.

That was some proactive decision by LTCOL Diskoerekto to already start on desert training. Milli Şef İnönü will be pleased on July when this new batch of MTNs graduate :)

Reactions:
A well fleshed out cabinet meeting, all points relating to the Patriotic Front were discussed in depth. The conclusions are imbued with a sense of realism, but also some of Inonu's bloodlust. All round a good balancing act and a clear enough plan that could actually work out all right, even if things go wrong for our Southern Front.
I admire Lt. Colonel @diskoerekto for his optimism... Desert training seems like a great idea to resurrect the Arabian and North-African part of the Ottoman empire...
Moreover, I would like to thank @TheButterflyComposer for his addition of some interesting Kelebek dialogue that may have occurred on the sidelines of the meeting.
I'm eagerly awaiting the next meeting on the other talking points,

SkitalecS3

Reactions:

Overall a good meeting, but I (privately, after checking for surveillance!) strongly dispute the chosen Blue Line/Operation Mavi, as I really do think it is imperative that Turkey dedicate some forces to defend Bucharest. If we leave the Romanians to it, they will likely not be dug in but rather in retreat from the German advance, and it will be up to the Turks to provide a fresh, dug-in defensive front.

At the very least, a couple of well-equipped divisions in Bucharest and a mobile reserve to plug gaps in the line should be deployed if the Green Line is crossed. Otherwise that'll be 20-30 divisions wiped out by the Germans right at the point where they already have the greatest advantage.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fantastic! Well done you! As someone married for 4 years now I can tell you that it’s a great institution :)

• 1Like
Reactions: