• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps but it is Germany. They might mistake the entire Turkish army for a middlelevel border garrison and decide to steamrush it,
Yes that's always been the concern. Must keep building that Calistar Line for as long as possible, just in case.

My ideal outcome is a Russo-German slugfest where the Hun is stopped before the gates of Moscow, without me having to commit, then coming in with the knife in the back, while they are fully committed in the East. The problem is whether the knife will be big enough at that point!

As always, I actually hope to be confronted by real and ambiguous decisions at that point in the war: of course, if it looks like the Russians are collapsing, then I may be forced to commit anyway, but it will still be a choice.

Reactions:
Must keep building that Calistar Line for as long as possible, just in case

I debate this line in the sand philosophy. I realise there is less room to manoeuvre around it than the magiot line but when Istanbul is surrounded by water and most of your defensive line in Europe is too (and it looks like the Asia Minor stuff at least at first will be) what's to stop the greater naval powers of Italy and Germany crushing and then landing from the sea? Especially as bar unforeseen AI cockups we've determined that France will fall as in OTL and then the Italians will have jack left to do aside from either attacking in Africa (I imagine they will lose that one) or helping Hungary out with Turkey.

Counter argument would of course that Italy is going to defend and attack in the African theatre to the very bitter end because from a gameplay perspective they have a lot of land and garrisons that are going to be attacked, and from a lore perspective, those African colonies (even if Italy gets southern France) are all the Italians have in terms of empire. They can't lose it, especially not to the French, who they've just beaten in their own country. If the French and British Mediterranean fleets survive, then Italy will probably have its ands full in Africa, in that case, any stuff they send into turkey will be weak at best. Germany however might take one look at the situation and decide, once taking out France and the rest of the weak targets dena rakers don Norway and so on, will go after one of only three threats left and the ONLY ONE they can defeat as they are now.

I worry that our plan rests on defensive warfare, especially because I doubt it will be enough if the AI works like it doesn't above, which surely it must barring insane decisions.

Reactions:
I debate this line in the sand philosophy. I realise there is less room to manoeuvre around it than the magiot line but when Istanbul is surrounded by water and most of your defensive line in Europe is too (and it looks like the Asia Minor stuff at least at first will be) what's to stop the greater naval powers of Italy and Germany crushing and then landing from the sea? Especially as bar unforeseen AI cockups we've determined that France will fall as in OTL and then the Italians will have jack left to do aside from either attacking in Africa (I imagine they will lose that one) or helping Hungary out with Turkey.

Sliced this down for size but I agree with @TheButterflyComposer in that Italy, with her Fleet, could become a big problem when you look at all the coastline you have to deal with. How is Turkey's Naval Forces anyway?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Counter argument would of course that Italy is going to defend and attack in the African theatre to the very bitter end because from a gameplay perspective they have a lot of land and garrisons that are going to be attacked, and from a lore perspective, those African colonies (even if Italy gets southern France) are all the Italians have in terms of empire. They can't lose it, especially not to the French, who they've just beaten in their own country. If the French and British Mediterranean fleets survive, then Italy will probably have its ands full in Africa, in that case, any stuff they send into turkey will be weak at best. Germany however might take one look at the situation and decide, once taking out France and the rest of the weak targets dena rakers don Norway and so on, will go after one of only three threats left and the ONLY ONE they can defeat as they are now.

I worry that our plan rests on defensive warfare, especially because I doubt it will be enough if the AI works like it doesn't above, which surely it must barring insane decisions.
Sliced this down for size but I agree with @TheButterflyComposer in that Italy, with her Fleet, could become a big problem when you look at all the coastline you have to deal with. How is Turkey's Naval Forces anyway?
OK, way back when I was making the decision on factional alignment, one of the considerations was that I was banking on the Allies being at war with the Axis (including Italy) well before I was likely to be at war with them (ie not before Germany invades Russia, perhaps even a delay after that if I hold back from joining the Comintern early and decide to wait for Germany to become embroiled in Russia). Turkey's Navy is only in marginally better shape than its Air Force: total crap, in other words :(. Hence, the Allies (principally the Royal Navy) is the counter for the Axis (mainly Italy) in the Med. They should be two years into fighting the Italian RM by then.

Not a complete guarantee for Turkey I know, but should inhibit Italian freedom of action considerably, especially if there have been a couple of years for their fleet to suffer British attrition before I am attacked/join in. However, you will have noticed I am building garrisons and budgeting for a ready reaction force to counteract landings - though mainly just in the Turkish homeland, to complement the Calistar Line. Again, because I have no plans on trying to garrison all the key points on the Balkan coastline. Doomed and a waste of precious manpower and IC.

On the line and general strategy: TBC, the Calistar Line is a safeguard/fallback position should it be needed. Something for the Axis to dash themselves against if I do have to retreat that far and a prudent attempt to safeguard the integrity of Turkey proper. It doesn't mean I'd automatically retreat behind it if circumstances permitted something better. But my thinking is, even with another three-plus years to build my position and forces, if Germany plus its fellow travellers moved against me in earnest, my Balkan empire will simply have too big a land border (including Romania here) and coastline to defend it effectively, whereas I could have a chance of holding behind the Dardanelles and repelling any Italian naval landings. And the attrition the Axis may suffer trying to assault such a line (where it won't matter so much that I'm outnumbered, just so long as I can keep rotating burned-out units from the line) should also indirectly help the Soviets. But I've never actually played/fought that specific situation, so am guessing. Part of the fun of the game situation I've chosen :).

So I don't envisage a purely defensive strategy, but want to have the option of a strong defence if I need it (which I think is highly likely). But the assessment of how far forward I'd defend in the Balkans (or even attack) is one I'd make at the time. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to do something similar with Athens and the Peloponnese in Greece if I can manage it, ie a few forts either end and hope I could maintain supply by sea (ie hoping the RN could hold the Italians in check), but that's one for later. My suspicion is I won't have the forces for it (banking on a full-on assault by German Panzers and air power). And if I do have to defend for my life for a year or two behind the Calistar Line, then the aim is to be able to counter-attack if the War in the East swings in favour of our Soviet comrades (one of the reasons I'm trying to build up Turkey's pitiful armoured/mech units and doctrine eventually - relying on Soviet tank tech from licenses, once I can get them).

If the Eastern Front doesn't turn our way, all dreams of conquest are lost anyway: I doubt whether a few extra Turkish divisions sent to the front would prove the deciding factor in the war there. If they stay in the fight but are unable to make a decent impression on Germany, then I'm waiting and hoping for the Allies to do something, somewhere, to tip the balance.

If Russia is actually defeated in the end (as opposed to just not advancing by around 1944), then I'm toast and it will be a bitter and desperate rear-guard action, including along the Caucasus :(. But the Fascists won't take me down without a fight: if the Path to Glory ends in a valiant defeat in a fight to the death for freedom, then so be it :mad:!

These will be the kind of decisions the Cabinet is expecting to face from about mid-1941 (Barbarossa time in OTL) onwards. If war comes before then, well that's why the Calistar Line is being built: I may have to hold out until the Soviets are engaged. Of course, another nasty turn would be if the Allies lose in North Africa or the UK loses to Japan and India falls :eek:. But that's in the lap of the Gods: no point planning for Extinction Level Events as a jumped up minor/regional power! One Axis cataclysm at a time ;). And the fun of all this is that you guys can sit in the armchairs, godlike, and see if any of it works :D. If it does, you can bask in the shared Glory :). If not, you can tell me so o_O. Either way, it should prove a good story - and there will be Glory abounding no matter what happens. Huzzah!

Last edited:
Reactions:
OK, way back when I was making the decision on factional alignment, one of the considerations was that I was banking on the Allies being at war with the Axis (including Italy) well before I was likely to be at war with them (ie not before Germany invades Russia, perhaps even a delay after that if I hold back from joining the Comintern early and decide to wait for Germany to become embroiled in Russia).

That doesn't seem likely at this stage, unless the Hungary AI decides not to attack Romania (which seems likely) or turkey at the start of the war. If it does, Italy's border guards will surge forth to help Andrew once they get embroiled, I fear that their AI might choose to continue supporting the closer war to them rather than North Africa (cos they will probably lose hard there). If that happens, the chance of Germany joining in once France is dealt with increases. Hell, there might be a situation where Germany declares war on Poland and the allies and then concentrates on taking down the Turkish empire. Poland, France and the Balkans have more to offer the Germans than fighting in North Africa or Russia.

On the line and general strategy: TBC, the Calistar Line is a safeguard/fallback position should it be needed. Something for the Axis to dash themselves against if I do have to retreat that far and a prudent attempt to safeguard the integrity of Turkey proper. It doesn't mean I'd automatically retreat behind it if circumstances permitted something better. But my thinking is, even with another three-plus years to build my position and forces, if Germany plus its fellow travellers moved against me in earnest, my Balkan empire will simply have too big a land border (including Romania here) and coastline to defend it effectively, whereas I could have a chance of holding behind the Dardanelles and repelling any Italian naval landings. And the attrition the Axis may suffer trying to assault such a line (where it won't matter so much that I'm outnumbered, just so long as I can keep rotating burned-out units from the line) should also indirectly help the Soviets. But I've never actually played/fought that specific situation, so am guessing. Part of the fun of the game situation I've chosen :).

The balkans will be lost if any one of the axis powers tries to seriously take it. Romania actually might hold out and maybe Greece and Bulgaria too. One has size and a big army and the others have good defences and terrain. Assuming little navy and maybe weaker airforces (Hungary and Italy) you'll be okay for a while.

These will be the kind of decisions the Cabinet is expecting to face from about mid-1941 (Barbarossa time in OTL) onwards. If war comes before then, well that's why the Calistar Line is being built: I may have to hold out until the Soviets are engaged. Of course, another nasty turn would be if the Allies lose in North Africa or the UK loses to Japan and India falls :eek:. But that's in the lap of the Gods: no point planning for Extinction Level Events as a jumped up minor/regional power! One Axis cataclysm at a time ;). And the fun of all this is that you guys can sit in the armchairs, godlike, and see if any of it works :D. If it does, you can bask in the shared Glory :). If not, you can tell me so o_O. Either way, it should prove a good story - and there will be Glory abounding no matter what happens. Huzzah!

Well, yes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It will be interesting to see what Hungary does: is there some hard-wired event or circumstances that make you so confident they would attack a puppet Romania before or on September 1939, or even before Germany was to attack Russia? Why would they attack Turkey (the AI that, not just a human wanting to cause trouble or at ct on informed self-interest)? I don't know the game events or triggers well enough to say one way or the other. And I guess for game narrative purposes, being uncertain is pretty realistic, so I'm happy to take it as it comes. But hedging my bets, as I say that's why I'm looking at a last line of defence for the Turkish Motherland, as early as possible.

Reactions:
It will be interesting to see what Hungary does: is there some hard-wired event or circumstances that make you so confident they would attack a puppet Romania before or on September 1939, or even before Germany was to attack Russia? Why would they attack Turkey (the AI that, not just a human wanting to cause trouble or at ct on informed self-interest)? I don't know the game events or triggers well enough to say one way or the other. And I guess for game narrative purposes, being uncertain is pretty realistic, so I'm happy to take it as it comes. But hedging my bets, as I say that's why I'm looking at a last line of defence for the Turkish Motherland, as early as possible.

From the way the game is looking at the moment, with Italy putting troops on the border with turkey and Hungary and Romania putting most of their armies on the border separating them, I think there would be a war between the latter two as soon as Hungary was let off the leash, given turkey is planning on using the Romania army to defend its own border whilst it is in Persia. If whilst you are in Persia, the war begins, that small Italian force would be able to flank and help out hungary's invasion (whether their invasion was into turkey or Romania). Thinking about it though, IF Hungary decides to attack and IF its plan is to attack the Romanian puppet first (far less defended as it is) then you can crush the small Italian border guard and then make a mad dash into Hungary to try and knock it out of the war. Though if that happens, Germany might right wheel from France AND Poland to crush you. Though if that happens, France and Poland might hold off for a lot longer. Though if that happens. Italy would get more involved in Europe rather than wasting its time in Africa.

Eh...too many what ifs. Let's focus on what we know:

Germany probably isn't going to attack you immediately and probably won't at all before Russia so long as the other two axis members are dealing with you.

Italy...is a wild card and has so many potential fronts and decisions to make as to which one to prioritise that I can't speculate. My gut feeling is they will focus on Africa but you do share a direct border and there will be a fight going on there with...

Hungary. They are almost certainly going to do something, because they have nowhere else to go. So unless you've broken all their scripts and AI by taking all the countries they could have exoanded into, they will be going after you. Fortunately, with Romania (and hopefully the returning Turkish army) you can win against them, especially with so many VP on the border. If Italy doesn't support them, they will lose against you. Saying that, Germany (unless it has its hands full and makes the smart decision which is to ignore you) will perhaps move in on you at that point and you'll lose the balkans in a planned retreat defence.

Whilst Hungary is defeatable and I believe Italy to be unpredictable, Germany shouldn't bother with you until they've done as well as they did in otl and have come to the point where they have three enemies left (you, the U.K. and Russia). At that point, you would assume they'd pick you but perhaps the set script takes precedent...basically, plan for a big defensive and planned retreat some time in 1940-1. Even if you have defeated Hungary and Italy isn't doing anything.

Reactions:
Thanks TBC, it makes for an interesting hypothetical, doesn't it? The only assumption in there I'm really less convinced of (and it's just guessing) is intentions as judged by border garrisons. Seems to me the AI is just geared to putting garrisons along borders anyway, more so when a neighbour does the same thing. The SU did that as soon as the game started against me and Romania, with nothing coming of it.

And with Hungary, I'm pretty sure the 'Award' script for Romania will have been broken by me puppeting them. I don't reckon they have to or will go anywhere until there is a general war, and when there is one they'll just follow the Germans around to Poland, France and Russia with whatever forces they feel they can spare from the border. Probably the same for Italy, minus Poland but plus North Africa.

Of course, as you say the AI may decide differently, in which case it could get very interesting: Hungary initiating a limited war against me/Romania then me worrying about its allies joining in ... it would make a good Cabinet meeting to decide what to do then! Thanks for the engagement and discussion: I'm glad the scenario has raised such strategic uncertainties in a game that tends to go 'by the numbers' a bit in its usual state.

Reactions:
And with Hungary, I'm pretty sure the 'Award' script for Romania will have been broken by me puppeting them. I don't reckon they have to or will go anywhere until there is a general war, and when there is one they'll just follow the Germans around to Poland, France and Russia with whatever forces they feel they can spare from the border. Probably the same for Italy, minus Poland but plus North Africa.

Oh god, that would raise turkey in this time line to Mary Sue levels of untouchableness. I mean, looking inuniverse for a moment and discarding the fact that this is a game, turkey is a massive slap in the face for all fascists everywhere, have a ton of resources they cannot defend and are in an easily invadeable position with no allies. Meanwhile Germany is planning on taking the Soviet Union at some point and taking turkey beforehand will allow them to invade through every single European border Russia has at once (if they do all their usual conquering first). Even better, it gives the most an excuse to not help Italy in North Africa and instead do something more useful with their other axis member.

Gameplay wise these are not things that matter but trying to explain why, in universe, the axis are ignoring you because the AI is sort of stuck doing other things might be a bit weird.

Of course, as you say the AI may decide differently, in which case it could get very interesting: Hungary initiating a limited war against me/Romania then me worrying about its allies joining in ... it would make a good Cabinet meeting to decide what to do then! Thanks for the engagement and discussion: I'm glad the scenario has raised such strategic uncertainties in a game that tends to go 'by the numbers' a bit in its usual state.

I think it's because turkey is rarely done and has a lot of variations you can do, whereas the U.K. (Which also has lots of variations) has been done by everyone and in every way. An Italian AAR would probably prove to have similar levels of debate and pondering over what happens because there aren't dozens of people who have memorised every possible version of events and AI decisions for it. Hopefully I won't have this problem should I ever make my AAR go up until the 20th C. but in this case, it's interesting to debate what's going to happen because the game has gone very differently from what everyone (including the AI scripts) were expecting.

Reactions:
turkey is a massive slap in the face for all fascists everywhere, have a ton of resources they cannot defend and are in an easily invadeable position with no allies ...

Gameplay wise these are not things that matter but trying to explain why, in universe, the axis are ignoring you because the AI is sort of stuck doing other things might be a bit weird.
Well, a slap in the face of the Fascists is always fine by me. We are rationalising it away in this AAR by (you may have noticed by now) branding them a bunch of appeasers - :p to Adolf and Benito! Also, I think our aggressive propaganda surely makes us seem more fearsome than we are. We are so confident that we put on plays lampooning the Fuhrer, then giving them state sponsorship and laughing at the protests of their Ambassador :D. More than that lily-livered Chamberlain has been doing so far. And perhaps Luca's secret mission has had something to do with scaring off the Fascists - making them look elsewhere :rolleyes:.

More seriously, we don't own anything Germany wants (yet, anyway) or can't trade for. What they want at the moment is to grab back all their cores on unfortunate neighbours (which they're only just getting into gear for), preparing to take the Czechs and then Poland down, building up for the big invasion of France (which although we know works almost every time without human intervention, the AI doesn't). Then the true enemy: the Soviet menace. Why should they worry about little old Turkey?

I think it's because turkey is rarely done and has a lot of variations you can do, whereas the U.K. (Which also has lots of variations) has been done by everyone and in every way. An Italian AAR would probably prove to have similar levels of debate and pondering over what happens because there aren't dozens of people who have memorised every possible version of events and AI decisions for it. Hopefully I won't have this problem should I ever make my AAR go up until the 20th C. but in this case, it's interesting to debate what's going to happen because the game has gone very differently from what everyone (including the AI scripts) were expecting.
Yes, I think you're right there. Although I'm not a long-term veteran of the forums or the game, I've seen and played enough to know the major powers - even Italy - get quite a bit of press and some have limited options or know major events are coming and focus on those. I wanted something manageable in size for a first AAR attempt, but interesting and a bit different (hence also going Comintern in the end, as the Turkey AARs I had seen were mainly Axis and a little Allies).

Now, back to the 'Phoney War' before Operation Caldiran can be executed against Persia (and to see what is happening back in Ankara). I have another work trip coming up in a couple of days, which will leave me with phone access only, so am trying to get another update posted before I head off.

Reactions:
Chapter 43: The Wages of Sin (13 to 31 March 1938)
Chapter 43: The Wages of Sin (13 to 31 March 1938)

The Ankara Offices of Bialystock and Bloom Productions

It is late morning on Sunday the 13th of March, 1938. Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom walk into their office in Ankara and switch on the lights. Both are hung-over from their premature celebration of failure the night before. Both are desperate to think of some way out of their predicament.

Their Swedish receptionist Ulla had been in earlier in the morning. Hanging on the ceiling is a banner: "Congratulations, it’s a hit!" Leo takes out his blue security blanket, which he puts over his face.

Max is reading the morning edition of The Istanbul Sunday Times. “A surprise smash,” he reads out. “A satirical masterpiece,” he goes on. “It was shocking, outrageous, insulting ... and I loved every minute of it.”

“There is no way out,” Leo keeps repeating to himself, from under his blanket.

“What happened?” Max wonders aloud. “We picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did we go right?”

Max rips the banner down, grumbling and crunching it up, then throws it to the ground. He sits down on the sofa, putting his head in his hands. He hears the sounds of a lock turning and a door closing. He turns and notices Leo rushing to the front door with the accounting books!

“Leo, where are you going with those books?”

“I’m going to turn myself in. It’s the only way. I will cooperate with the authorities and then there’s time off for good behaviour. I might even get a job at the prison library.”

“Leo, you’re delirious. Come on, just calm down for a moment,” Max soothes as he sidles over to Leo. “Give me those books!” Max lunges for the books and starts struggling for them with Leo.

They struggle on. Max gets the books and tries to make off with them.

hH8Stb.jpg

“Give me those books, you fat walrus!” Leo pulls Max’s hat over his head, punches him in the stomach and grabs them back. Max grabs hold of Leo and they collapse onto the sofa, wrestling for possession.

At this moment, Roger De Bris and ‘LSD’ walk in, arm in arm and holding a bottle of champagne and glasses. “Congratulations!” they both call out.

Roger takes the scene in. “Now that’s what I call celebrating!”

Max pushes himself off, grabs Roger by the throat and holds him up against the wall. “You lousy idiot! You’ve ruined us!”

“Why, you ungrateful ingrate!” says LSD. “After he came in and saved your little show.”

Before this can go any further, gunshots ring out from below. Franz Liebkind barges in, his leg in a fresh cast (after he broke it as he fell, trying to extricate himself from the curtain the night before).

“You have insulted the Fuhrer! You must die! You all must die!” he yells.

IThphW.jpg

If only all Germans were such bad shots as Franz.

All four scream, running around the office as Franz shoots wildly – and very inaccurately.

cqoquY.jpg

Leo is not good around gun-wielding, crazed Nazis. Then again, not too many people are.

“What are you doing, you Nazi nitwit?” Roger calls out. “Your show is a hit.”

“Who cares?” shouts Franz. “You made a fool out of Hitler.”

Roger and LSD together: “He didn’t need our help!”

Franz shoots again. They dash around a corner and into the closet. Franz runs past and onto the balcony as Max and Leo run back in.

“Under the desk, under the desk,” whispers Max. They cower under it.

8GTOws.jpg

Franz walks in again. “This is no good, I’m not killing anybody!”

He sees Max and Leo under the desk. “Ah, there you are, Bialystock and Bloom.”

Max and Leo bury their heads under their hands. Franz points the gun at them.

“Ach! Look at you, snivelling like baby butterflies. Will you come out?” He lowers the gun in disgust.

Max and Leo: “No!”

“Cowards!” Franz points the gun at them and presses the trigger, but nothing happens. He tries again. And again. And again. “Ach, jammed!”

2b4gLJ.jpg

Max climbs out from under the desk. “You Teutonic twat!” he shouts angrily. “What are you doing shooting at us for? Why don’t you do where it will do some real good? Why don’t you kill the actors?”

“Ze actors?” Franz asks in confusion.

“Yes, ‘ze actors.’” Max starts giving him money. “Here, go, buy more bullets. Kill the actors.”

“Yes, I must kill the actors.”

“No!” Leo shouts, hitting Franz, who drops to the ground. “You can’t kill the actors. Actors are not animals. They’re human beings."

“Are you sure?” says Max. “Have you ever eaten with one?”

At that moment, there is hard knocking on the door. A gruff voice is heard from outside. “Open up! It’s the Polis!” They are responding to the gunfire.

Max and Franz run, trying to hide. Leo stands his ground. The polisi barge in.

HO2v2K.jpg

“I am not and have never been a member of the Nazi Party!” shouts Franz.

Roger and LSD come out of the closet (so to speak) and into the room.

“Oh, officers,” says Roger breathlessly, pointing at Franz. “This man crashed in here and tried to kill us!”

CPv6Pu.jpg

“OK, you’re free to go.”

Roger and LSD rush out quickly.

“Tried to kill ‘em, eh?” the Polis Sergeant growls at Franz, then looks at the younger Polis Constable with him. “Take him downtown and book him, Doğan.”

kyqULf.jpg

“Nein, nein!” shouts Franz and rushes out the door as quickly as his broken leg will allow him. There is soon a loud crash and a scream.

The Polisi look out the door and call to Franz, who is lying at the bottom of the stairs. “What happened?”

“I broke my other leg!”

Just then, the Constable hears the sound of a doorknob turning, walks over to a nearby door and opens it. Max is standing there holding a suitcase. “What’s going on? Who are you?”

Max starts talking in an Irish accent, getting higher pitched with each word. “The name’s O’Bialystock and I was just on my way to the Patty O’Brien film festival when I heard the commotion and wondered what the hell was going on. And now, it appears I best be going before my voice gets any higher. So, as they say in the old country ... Taxi!”

“Hold on,” says the Sergeant, grabbing Max’s arm as he tries to leave the office. The younger policeman walks over carrying the accounting books.

“Hey, Sergeant. Look at these two accounting books I found. This one says ‘Show to the Turkish Taxation Service.’”

“What does the other one say?”

“’Never show to the Turkish Taxation Service.’”

“Come on, you three are going downtown,” says the Sergeant.

“Three?” Max asks.

“Yeah, you and those two books.” He drags Max out of the office.

Propaganda Department, Ministry of Armaments, Ankara

It is now Monday morning, the 14th of March. The success of the ‘great new comedic satire’, “Springtime for Hitler”, is all over the papers. No word has broken yet of the events of the day before. Braanszon Guildenstern is in the highest of high spirits: not only will he be rich and easily able to pay back the funds he has appropriated from the propaganda budget before the next audit is due. And now the musical has been adopted as a state-supported propaganda project. He is charge of promoting it! This is as close to heaven as he can imagine ever being. If there were any blood banks present in Turkey at this time, he would be Dracula and Chairman of the Board!

xzCC6u.jpg

BJ Guildenstern, looking relaxed and happy. No-one at the Propaganda Office can ever remember seeing him smile before! Or not wearing a tie.

It is at this point that Persephonee Fotheringay-Phipps walks into the room, a big smile on her face. “Braanszon, I think I’ve done it! I have been studying Turkish history and the politics of the Republic for the last month,” she says excitedly.

Braanszon raises a jovial eyebrow, amazed that anyone could find these subjects so exciting.

“No, no,” says Persephonee, who is an expert in reading her boss’s body language and sardonic expressions. “That’s not why I’m excited. I think I’ve solved out most difficult brief – a new name for the Turkey that is now even greater than 'Greater'!”

Braanszon sits up at this. The day is getting even better than he had imagined it would.

“OK, now we’re talking. Let’s see your pitch.”

“What do you want BJ: easel or flagpole?”

“Flagpole I think. It seems more patriotic and jingoistic. I’ll see whether I’m ready to salute.”

“Very well,” starts Persophonee. “First, we cannot call it the Ottoman Empire or associate it too closely with that. After all, it was Atatürk who disliked and abolished it in 1923, making Turkey secular and – he hoped – setting it on the path to be a modern state.”

“Then the Caliphate was formally abolished in 1924, cutting all remaining links – political and religious – with the Ottoman period. Going back to that symbolism would be seen by the President, Prime Minister and the ruling Republican People’s Party as a retrograde step. We might be branded counter-revolutionaries for even suggesting it.”

Guildenstern’s eyes widen a little at that. He knows which side his bread is buttered on!

“But Turkey now has a real empire, which is set to grow. And now the country is on that path, it can be reminded of those past glories, invoking the historical legacy of Turkish dominance, so long as it is secular.”

“And speaking of glory, the Path to Glory is now integral to the new Turkish national story and its future even greaterness. The people of Turkey need to be reminded of that. As do their new subjects and potential foes.”

“Finally, it needs to sound enough like a Comintern national name to fit in when the time comes, but also not too hackneyed. And symbolising the retention of the unique national character that Turkey has insisted will be maintained, even while joining the Soviet’s faction. After all, the ruling party’s name has both "Republican" and "People’s" in it . And the flag is red and has a star as part of it – that’s enough to satisfy the minimum requirement!”

Braanszon nods at all this. “OK,” he says. “So what’s it to be?”

37b022.jpg

“Turkey proper remains as the Republic. All conquered lands – the Vilayets – are the empire. Much the same way Rome ruled its growing empire while still a Republic. We won’t worry about what happened next: this is the modern mid-twentieth century. The imperial domains belong to the Republic, and therefore to the people of Turkey; not an Emperor. Much the same way Russia dominates the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.”

Persephonee now finishes off with a flourish. “I also suggest we establish the ‘Pact of Freedom’, with Romania as the first member, for all sovereign states that 'choose' to align themselves with Turkey. It can be a faction within a faction, when Turkey does join the Comintern.”

“Nice, I like it all Perse,” replies Braanszon. “It is a direct counter to that Fascist ‘Pact of Steel’ and will go down well with our respective home countries [Ed: the US and the UK] and the French as well. Try to take their minds off exactly how that ‘freedom’ is being achieved. As they say, it’s like making sausages: you don’t want to see how it’s done!”

“Let’s present it to Calistar today, while he’s in a good mood from the weekend's show,” he continues. “But let’s keep it strictly under wraps for now. I’ve been told PM Inönü has given firm direction that any mention of the new national name is to be kept strictly under wraps for now. I’m not sure why, but think he must have some special occasion in mind. He’s asked to be briefed personally on it once we have something.”

Braanszon and Perse make their presentation to Calistar, who is sufficiently pleased to take it on board and says he will make an appointment with the PM at the next Cabinet meeting. Life is good! They both wander back to the Propaganda Department by lunch time, very pleased with themselves. Braanszon is thinking of a holiday house in the Bahamas, far away from the storm clouds gathering over Europe.

As they arrive back, the room is abuzz. “Hey, BJ!” shouts Mehmet, Calistar’s secretary. “You’ll never guess what has happened. You know that sensational new play, ‘Springtime for Hitler’? The one we’re taking on as our pet project to counter those insidious Axis influence campaigns?”

“Yes,” says Braanszon, grinning broadly. “Indeed I do! Saw it myself on the weekend. I know the producers, as a matter of fact.”

“Oh,” says Mehmet, slightly taken aback. “Then you may be surprised to hear about the scandal erupting around it, and the arrest of Mr Max ‘Broadway’ Bialystock. Rumours are abounding of gun battles, fraud and misappropriation! Who knows where it will end. Of course, the show will go on: perhaps the State will have to take it over.”

Guildenstern’s broad smile turns into a grinning rictus. He tries to maintain his calm while he breaks into a sudden sweat. Typical, he thinks, just when you think you’re out, they drag you back in again!

Still, at least he has control of the production now that his department will be running it. Perhaps that young accountant, Leo Bloom, will know what’s going on. I wonder where he has got to? That Bialystock had better keep his big mouth shut until I can figure something out.

F36g9w.jpg

‘Just when you think you are out, they drag you back in again’.

He sends Persephonee around to the Bialystock and Bloom offices to see what can be found out. She reports that it is full of partying actors and crew from the musical, but no sign of either Leo Bloom or that attractive receptionist Ulla. Well, that audit isn’t due until the end of April. That gives them some time to figure things out.

14 Mar 38: World News Report, Vienna, Austria. While Hitler rides triumphantly into Austria, PM Neville Chamberlain makes a speech to the House of Commons on the Austrian situation, saying the government “emphatically” disapproved of Germany's deed but that “nothing could have prevented this action by Germany unless we and others with us had been prepared to use force to prevent it.”

17 Mar 38: World News Report, Warsaw, Poland. Poland delivers an ultimatum to Lithuania demanding the establishment of diplomatic relations. The lack of diplomatic relations related to Lithuania refusing to accept the Polish seizure of territory historically claimed by Lithuania in 1920. Poland hoped to strengthen their hold by forcing Lithuania to establish diplomatic relations. Lithuania accepted the demand on 19 March, but not the Polish claims.

ykvmfV.jpg

24 Mar 38: World News Report, Tokyo, Japan. In another boost for growing Axis power, Nationalist China surrenders to Japan, ceding large amounts of territory in return for peace.

ua82EJ.jpg

Meanwhile, Neville Chamberlain makes an important foreign policy speech in the House of Commons, saying Britain would fight for France and Belgium if they were attacked but making no such guarantee for Czechoslovakia.

28 Mar 38

The 4th Garrison Bde is produced and placed in Izmir. It was caught undefended by the Greeks in 1919. If the Italians try it, at least they will find defenders in place! They are replaced in the queue by another garrison brigade.

5pr7cQ.jpg

Intelligence Head Ögel delivers a report from Prague, from Luca Brasi, who is in town ‘assisting’ the Turkish Embassy. Apparently, Adolf Hitler met with Sudeten German leader Konrad Henlein and instructed him to “create a crisis in Czechoslovakia by making demands that would be impossible to meet.” This is the kind of deal Brasi is very familiar with. And it sounds suspiciously like the kind of deal Turkey offered Yugoslavia just before they were ‘liberated’ late last year. This sounds very ominous.

31 Mar 38

Istanbul. In another notable beginning, the first fortification of the Calistar Line is completed in Istanbul. The next level is commenced immediately. The practical experience gained from this initial construction has a small but positive effect on the construction efficiency of IC and other fortifications already in production.

czCUx0.jpg

Van, Eastern Anatolia. The roads in the east remain … you guessed it, muddy.

kTFJ4H.jpg

Time is ticking by, with events developing rapidly in Europe. Army Group Commander Arikan is getting concerned: if they try to invade now, Turkish meteorologists assess the muddy conditions will slow the Turkish advance to a crawl, badly hampering the implementation of Turkish “RAW” (Rapid Aggressive Warfare) doctrine and giving the enemy time to mobilise his forces and defend in depth in Persia’s difficult terrain.

6cpbxi.jpg

Field Marshal Saffet Arikan, 1st Army Group Commander. Another Turkish veteran of the War of Independence and politician who has rejoined the colours for the Glory of Turkey.

But waiting much longer invites potential disaster in the Balkans, with a single cavalry brigade (mercifully without the elephant machine gun teams earlier reports had mentioned) and their Romanian allies (currently restricted to their own country by constitutional requirements) all that stands in the path of the newly formed ‘Pact of Steel’.

He sends to Supreme Command for orders and sends his chief meteorologist off to look at Persian weather almanacs to see if he can predict when the ground may become suitable for movement again. Ankara will need to know this in order to weigh up the timings and options for Operation Chaldiran.

Ulucanlar Prison, Ankara. Max languishes in his prison cell. He has heard nothing from Leo since his arrest. He has been told his trial will be held sometime in April. The show goes on, raking in the profits, but nothing has been seen of the twenty million lira he and Leo had raised to fund it. More and more investors have emerged, inquiring about their dividends. No details of the case have been made public yet, but soon the truth will out. On the one hand, he is seen as something of a folk hero for having produced the timely and hilarious spoof of Hitler, which is raising morale in Ankara and helping to counteract the recent Japanese-inspired Axis influence campaign in Turkey. But on the other, he will soon be exposed to all as a swindler of mammoth proportions.

91k0LQ.jpg

Better yet, Max has the company of Franz in the same prison. Max is a great celebrity ‘inside’ and is well protected. He tries to cheer up his fellow inmates with a bit of song and dance. He has even persuaded Franz to start writing a new musical based on their prison experiences!

A harp plays a few chords in the background ... a misty scene comes into focus.

We are back on the fateful day of 13 March: after the polisi had arrested Franz and Max, Leo had just been ignored. He is in a state of shock. The lovely Ulla has returned.

“Leo! Max!” calls Ulla. “Everyone is waiting for you at the champagne post-hangover cast party.”

“Ulla, help me,” comes Leo’s muffled voice. He is hiding in the closet (inside which has managed to lock himself). Ulla unlocks the closet. Leo's blue security blanket covers his face.

“Leo, what happened?”

“Oh, Ulla. The police came and they took Max.”

“Oh, they found the books too.” Ulla has been part of the scheme all along. “But not the safe.”

“Oh, I gotta go save him,” exclaims Leo altruistically.

“Well, it appears you have two choices,” observes Ulla. “Either you turn yourself in and spend cold, dark days in prison. Or you can take that twenty million lira and go to Rio with me.”

“Oh, what do I do? Turn myself in or run off to paradise? What a dilemma.”

fcPk5m.jpg

Ulla provides sage counsel to Leo on his options.

That afternoon, in his prison cell, Max stares out miserably, his face on the bars. A guard walks past him.

“Hey fatty!” says the guard.

“I’m not that fat!”

“Says you! Here, you got a postcard.” The guard hands Max the postcard.

“A postcard? From where?”

As the guard walks off, Max proceeds to read the card.

ctcUT8.jpg

The postcard is from Brazil. Rio de Janeiro, the Copa Cabana.

Dear Max (Leo has written), Rio is everything you said it was and more.

Ulla and I think of you every chance we get. Like in the morning, when we have breakfast on our terrace. Many different herrings to eat.

Or in the afternoon, when we cover ourselves with banana cream oil...#45.

Or in the evening, when we samba together in the moonlight.

Sorry, must run. Ulla’s waiting. It’s almost eleven. Wish you were here. Your pal, Leo.

Max angrily crumples the postcard and drops it on the floor. “Just like Julius Caesar was betrayed by Brutus. Who’d think an accountant would turn out to be my Judas? I’m so dismayed. Is this how I’m repaid? To be betrayed. Betrayed!”

Coming up next: The Supreme Command must decide whether to damn the mud and commence Operation Chaldiran, or wait for better weather. Either option carries risks. Max must face his day in court, while Leo must face his days with Ulla, in a luxurious Rio penthouse apartment, sipping cocktails and eating herrings (Ulla is Swedish, after all: some sacrifices must be made). Are the Czechs doomed now the Germans are flexing their muscles? Turkey’s potential Soviet ally seems to be rocked by continued purges of their officer corps and executions of prominent former-colleagues of Stalin, while Trotsky foments his ‘Fourth International’ subversion from overseas. Has the Turkish ship of state tied itself to a sinking stone? Is the stone heavy enough to drag down the ship? Can Persephonee save the Government from an overabundance of mixed metaphors? What will Inönü think of the new suggested national name? And can Braanszon keep his swindle from being discovered until the embezzled funds can be recouped?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I'm hoping that the elimination of Yugoslavia as an entity means that no scripted attack on it (or Greece) therefore applies. It would have to be an attack on Turkey, which I assume would only occur according to game parameters. So I guess that may mean a border garrison sufficient to discourage cheap attacks?

I'm curious to see what happens. As in, if the Scripts have Government types and alignment as part of the trigger? When Italy invaded my Turk puppet Greece, I was IN the Axis. So that Turkey did not appear as middle of the road as yours does. Maybe nothing happens because you annexed but idk for certain. Whatever happens you've got a Story to tell.:)

Reactions:
“Very well,” starts Persophonee. “First, we cannot call it the Ottoman Empire or associate it too closely with that. After all, it was Atatürk who disliked and abolished it in 1923, making Turkey secular and – he hoped – setting it on the path to be a modern state.”

“Then the Caliphate was formally abolished in 1924, cutting all remaining links – political and religious – with the Ottoman period. Going back to that symbolism would be seen by the President, Prime Minister and the ruling Republican People’s Party as a retrograde step. We might be branded counter-revolutionaries for even suggesting it.”

Maybe. Especially if you were going to the Comintern, this would be the reason not to call yourselves that. If you wanted to stay neutral and out of the war, then this isn't the name to pick, otherwise you need to pass yourselves off as either an imperial power, an imperial democracy or a powerful republic of the people depending on whether you are charmingly the axis, the allies or the communists.

14 Mar 38: World News Report, Vienna, Austria. While Hitler rides triumphantly in Austria, PM Neville Chamberlain makes a speech to the House of Commons on the Austrian situation, saying the government “emphatically” disapproved of Germany's deed but that “nothing could have prevented this action by Germany unless we and others with us had been prepared to use force to prevent it.”

How about you actually TRY force?

17 Mar 38: World News Report, Warsaw, Poland. Poland delivers an ultimatum to Lithuania demanding the establishment of diplomatic relations. The lack of diplomatic relations related to Lithuania refusing to accept the Polish seizure of territory historically claimed by Lithuania in 1920. Poland hoped to strengthen their hold by forcing Lithuania to establish diplomatic relations. Lithuania accepted the demand on 19 March, but not the Polish claims.

Huh...is everyone going after random bits of their old possessions in this world?

24 Mar 38: World News Report, Tokyo, Japan. In another boost for growing Axis power, Nationalist China surrenders to Japan, ceding large amounts of territory in return for peace.

Well, there's your precursor to war into Pacific. Whether or no the the us joins in, the U.K. And Japanese will.

Reactions:
Given the regular communist rants about the evils of Imperialism, Lenin wrote an entire book describing Imperialism as the highest stage of Capitalism, I think Persephone may have somewhat cocked up.

Now obviously the Soviets themselves, as the true keepers of the flame and vanguard of the revolution, have a certain latitude in correctly interpreting the wisdom of Marx and Lenin. I doubt Turkey will be accorded the same. Back to the ideas board I suspect.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Given the regular communist rants about the evils of Imperialism, Lenin wrote an entire book describing Imperialism as the highest stage of Capitalism, I think Persephone may have somewhat cocked up.

Now obviously the Soviets themselves, as the true keepers of the flame and vanguard of the revolution, have a certain latitude in correctly interpreting the wisdom of Marx and Lenin. I doubt Turkey will be accorded the same. Back to the ideas board I suspect.

Well you can't blame them for trying to fit in with the communists and cocking up. It's not like they are internally consistent or anything...(various internet socialists cock their guns and stare at me).
El Pip, a devout communist, is certinaly correct in saying that the Soviets will interpret the Manifesti and anything else exactly how Stalin-Er, I mean they-er I mean the people fell like.

I foresee the discussion after this comment will be short and useful in regards to figuring out the name of the nation:)

• 1Like
Reactions:

Well you can't blame them for trying to fit in with the communists and cocking up. It's not like they are internally consistent or anything...(various internet socialists cock their guns and stare at me).
El Pip, a devout communist, is certinaly correct in saying that the Soviets will interpret the Manifesti and anything else exactly how Stalin-Er, I mean they-er I mean the people fell like.

I foresee the discussion after this comment will be short and useful in regards to figuring out the name of the nation:)
Don't worry, I thought of the Imperial bit, so that is the piece that says to the Soviets: like it or lump it, it's a uniquely Turkish People's Empire. Accept us on our own terms, or not at all :cool:.

It's a valid point of course, but in this Alternate Time Line (ATL) Turkey carries more weight and we'd be their only really substantive factional ally when we join, so they can just go jump if they don't like it: this Turkey isn't for turning :)! (Of course, 'Turkey' in this case could have an ambiguous meaning :oops:, but I'll just walk on by that one. And Inonu hasn't had his say yet).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Don't worry, I thought of the Imperial bit, so that is the piece that says to the Soviets: like it or lump it, it's a uniquely Turkish People's Empire. Accept us on our own terms, or not at all :cool:.

Mm. A bit ballsy to do that. At any other time, that sort of defiance would net you the top of stalin's shit list. You'd better hope things go really badly for your communist 'allies' in this war but that younstill win, and he dies soon after, otherwise turkey will be on the wrong side of the iron curtain with a very angry dictator very willing to kill everyone in your government.

this Turkey isn't for turning :)!

I feel that this is blatant Pip baiting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
this Turkey isn't for turning
Then it will never roast properly. You'll end up with dry breast meat but an under-done base. Cook it upside down for the first 1hr or so, then turn it right way up and continue cooking.

Never take cooking advice from aspiring-communist Euro-Asian bordering dictatorships, that is my top tip.

Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Ah, my dear readers, always good to have your repartee and wise advice :).

I know it would be 'bold', even in this Alternate Linear Time of muscular Turkish nationalism, to have 'Imperial' in there. But remember I'm only allying with the Soviets as an equal sovereign power, not becoming communist (this was part of the original agreement with Litvinov and Stalin).

And in this age, it seems strength and arrogance (ok, foolhardiness) are the currency of leadership in the non-Western world :eek:. So we put our collective hands on our hips, raise our chins, look dismissively over the shoulders of Little Joe Stalin (who seems beset with internal enemies, weak and friendless) and say "Bite me! Love our new People's Empire or do without it."

Well, that and this ALT ends with this war, we don't have to actually live with the bastard afterwards :p. Will Inonu take our advice though? Hmm, we shall see.

Reactions: