• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bellicosity

Captain
95 Badges
Oct 24, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Is take point broken? I've played two games now where I have 0 luck getting allies to follow my fleets.

The worst case example almost lost me a war.

My nation, A, was allied to B. I was declared on by an enemy Z.

Z had a combined fleet strength of 3000. B had 1500. I had 2000.

B repeatedly threw their 1500 strength fleet at the 3000 fleet wearing themselves down until at best they had ~900 strength. Had they simply followed my fleet like I asked them to do by taking point we could have EASILY won the war, especially considering we were often attacked at starbases with 1000+ strength.

This is an experience I had in my previous game as well when in a federation my federation allies refused to follow my fleets (despite being literally 10 - 20x their fleet strengths) making wars much more difficult than they had to be when we were a new federation. They also threw away fleets like crazy for no good reason like nation B above which is just super awesome for your war exhaustion.

Is this an isolated incident? A bug? Working as intended?

The worst part of this is that when the game was first released all of your allies would always just pile all of their fleets on top of your strongest fleet and follow it everywhere.

But loads of people complained, they didn't like it. So they made it an optional toggle.

It has just never worked properly since.... :mad:

Take Point definitely seems broken.
So they made it an optional toggle.

It has just never worked properly since.... :mad:
I know it worked during 2.1, at least. I managed to get my Federation to help me put the hurt on the Contingency with it.

Taking Point was about the only way you, as a player, could co-ordinate a strike/defence with the AI forces. It just doesn't seem to work any more. In my last game with the latest updates not once did the follow option do anything at all.

I know it worked during 2.1, at least. I managed to get my Federation to help me put the hurt on the Contingency with it.
Yes, it's had its times where it works occasionally. But it has never worked reliably and consistently is what I meant, not that it has never worked at all. It always seemed like a bit of a gamble, and fleets would sometimes follow your designated point fleet, and sometimes just not. It's fair enough if they have much bigger fleets than you etc, but when you're space 'murica the rest of spacenato should just be following your lead like lost puppies.

I think you might be right about it working particularly well in 2.1.

I've had a few federation ally fleets follow one or two of my fleets in this current patch. But they only seemed to do it when they were kinda in the neighbourhood anyway. I'll see if I can grab some screens later to demonstrate.

But it definitely seems like whatever weights they have for following fleets are a little more stringent/borked at the moment.