• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MoppCC1

Sergeant
18 Badges
Jan 15, 2015
  • Dungeonland
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
A very fun albeit unbalanced feature(vs ai atleast) of the game star ruler 2 was the ability to destroy stars and even black holes creating a huge explosion that wiped out a system or multiple systems. I think it would be very cool to be able to do this. It could have the impact on the diplomatic game as nuclear weapons have for us. Although they need to balance it right so that you have to work a lot for it. To me the idea of the endgame beinget a more apocalyptic galaxy is kind of cool.

Reactions:
I think this would make the game very interesting and also extremely fun. I'm all about the ability to take out entire planets or systems. Of course with great power comes great responsibility. I'd imagine using something like this could incur negative relationship modifiers. Maybe even cause people to go to war with you or form a coalition of some sorts against you.

Reactions:
i hope its only a kind of all planets eradicating bomb... leaving every planet as a giant ring of asteroids.
And thus perfectly positioned for a ringworld transformation by a few dozen constructor ships :p

And maybe even blow up some of your own worlds in the process.. its all for the greater purpose of ringworlds and maximizing population and prosperity. A collective race would understand... a individualist maybe less so. There you would need to transfer the population out first.

Indded, it could be very cool ;) +1

I agree. However, they should be a huge drain in your resources, and if it gets destroyed you lose 50 war score or something to that effect.
As for diplomatic relations: while you have it you get a +20 to relations or something to nations that do not have an equally powerful nation (justified in the, "no one wants to go to war with you out of fear"). If you lose the weapon, you get a -20 relations temporarily as now the empires aren't scared and are more likely to team up on you.

When your whole empire is going to be destroyed by an enemy, just activate a black hole generator that will open a black hole in enemy space. This will make a natural border so you could rebuild for some time.

Reactions:
I personally don't think wiping out star systems is a good idea, pretty cool yes, but you want planets and star systems to be colonised by your species. You're effectively shooting yourself in the foot

Reactions:
I personally don't think wiping out star systems is a good idea, pretty cool yes, but you want planets and star systems to be colonised by your species. You're effectively shooting yourself in the foot

Well since there is many milions of planets out there, destroying a few would be no problem, if you at the same time could remove a big threat to your species.

Reactions:
YOU YOURSELF BECOME THE GALACTIC CRISIS!

I wish they'd balance it more on top of OP's idea, by making it very punishing to use super weapons in terms of aftermath. The fallout it would have diplomatically shouldn't be taken lightly, unless you think you are really prepared and you have allies that support you (probably genocidal species like you) like the axis power in WW2. How nuclear arsenal protocols of countries are set up is totally emergency based and it's an end-all scenario. But that's because they have more than one nuke. So if you think one super weapon isn't going to cut it for your surprise blitzkrieg (end them before they can prepare), then one should hold off on that super weapon card for now, unless they are losing the war and need to use one desperately. <- that's the kind of tense atmosphere the super weapon should have when we are using one or considering to, in a game like this. It should be very very sensitive.

As the enemy fleet approaches your last home planet, you reveal your super weapon and destroy one of their planets. This should have demoralizing effect on the enemy, creating the potential for them to surrender and end the war in your victory. If you are not the aggressor and been pushed far enough, and use the super weapon in defense, there shouldn't be any diplomatic impact in the galaxy. A trump card approach on super weapon could work too.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I honestly don't think the negative penalty should be there simply for having one. I don't think any of the nations we were allied with in WW2 hated us because we had one. They didn't form a coalition against is because we had one. If anything, having nukes increased our diplomatic power among nations, and when Russia got one, it increased their diplomatic power with us. It actually helped ensure war with Russia did not happen.

So I think having super weapons should have a positive diplomatic bonus. However, *using* them in an offensive war should.

So if you start a war and then use a super weapon, it should have an extremely hefty diplomatic penalty.

I honestly don't think the negative penalty should be there simply for having one. I don't think any of the nations we were allied with in WW2 hated us because we had one. They didn't form a coalition against is because we had one. If anything, having nukes increased our diplomatic power among nations, and when Russia got one, it increased their diplomatic power with us. It actually helped ensure war with Russia did not happen.

So I think having super weapons should have a positive diplomatic bonus. However, *using* them in an offensive war should.

So if you start a war and then use a super weapon, it should have an extremely hefty diplomatic penalty.

It sounds like you're advocating a 'deterrence' value within diplomacy based on possessing these super-weapons. I think that makes a great deal of sense...if not for this game than certainly for the new Hearts of Iron in development.

Reactions:
I wish they'd balance it more on top of OP's idea, by making it very punishing to use super weapons in terms of aftermath. The fallout it would have diplomatically shouldn't be taken lightly, unless you think you are really prepared and you have allies that support you (probably genocidal species like you) like the axis power in WW2. How nuclear arsenal protocols of countries are set up is totally emergency based and it's an end-all scenario. But that's because they have more than one nuke. So if you think one super weapon isn't going to cut it for your surprise blitzkrieg (end them before they can prepare), then one should hold off on that super weapon card for now, unless they are losing the war and need to use one desperately. <- that's the kind of tense atmosphere the super weapon should have when we are using one or considering to, in a game like this. It should be very very sensitive.
I would also like it if, when several empires have such super weapons of different kinds, they could have a nuclear war. Or whatever it's called then. Maybe "Black Hole War" is more fitting there.
The empires that didn't act in the war would fear the winner (if such a thing exists in the end) because they could use their weapons on the other empires too.
And when the empires are too highly advanced in technology, but probably don't have enough planets to compensate the enemy's weapons that are equally advanced, they could die. All of them. Maybe a few planets, filled with radiation, causes some mutated wildlife or former members of the dead empires to emerge and reconquer space. That would be both interesting and... strange... to see the mutated remnants of a formerly powerful interstellar empire rebuild their worlds and then, hundreds of years later, once again construct super weapons and start the next no-winner war against the mutated people of their former enemy.

Generally, I'd love to see not-necessarily-lategame events to happen when a super weapon was used.
Any weapon that creates radiation has the chance to mutate lifeforms on a planet, maybe causing them to gain intelligence (or lose it). The puppies could be the next intelligent species of planet Earth!
Weapons that destroy entire stars could give a distant civilization a hint about where to search for new species to enslave. The puppies are indeed in a dangerous situation!
A black hole creating weapon could accidentally create a wormhole instead, leading to another artificial black hole in the same galaxy, so it changes the political landscape a little (That's especially dangerous when both war participants use black hole weapons!). The puppies can use these artifacts of ancient times when they start travelling through space.
A wrecked ship could crash on the homeworld of a pre-FTL civilization, giving it the necessary technologies to conquer space and exist as another empire. The puppies can go to space now!
The homeworld's super weapon arsenal could be sabotaged by well enough trained agents, so the homeworld (or any other arsenal world) would be destroyed and the super weapons would be too. Nobody expects puppies to be enemy agents trying to blow up entire sectors by sabotaging super weapon arsenals...

superweapons eh?

Too+much+heresy+_598f7875560d4672637d19d93c7f24b8.jpg

Reactions:
What about smaller ship mounted super-weapons, like a wave motion-gun (but to place them on a template is unwieldy and expensive) so you wouldn't be able to field many, but each warship with one could be the centerpiece of the fleet, and that would change the fleet's dynamic.

Not quite a super weapon, but how about combining fire, if at a point your empire goes totally down the auto-ship route, and gets access to ship super-computers tat can most optimally route the entire fleet's guns onto given target and maximize firepower, but the computer is large enough that it almost necessitates its own sort of sub-class, as a flagship or combat group overseer, changing the fleet's dynamic again, as the fleet has to be optimized to protect the flagship. With the rest of the ships being little more than gun/armor platform with no space for crew?

What about smaller ship mounted super-weapons, like a wave motion-gun (but to place them on a template is unwieldy and expensive) so you wouldn't be able to field many, but each warship with one could be the centerpiece of the fleet, and that would change the fleet's dynamic.
I wonder if later tech levels will also show up as smaller versions of the weapon. So, the antimatter bombs would be smaller, but more destructive too. But they would be as expensive as before, or even more expensive. After some time, a highly advanced civilization might be able to build an armada of them and just destroy everything, but that should take ages to build and execute. Ages in which the territory may be vulnerable to attacks ;)