• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Overextension

Sergeant
30 Badges
Jul 16, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Do constant Byzantium posts get annoying? Yes
Do I care? No

So I've had this Idea, It is about a unique Byzantium Mechanic they get access to when they Re-instate the Theme System. I will be calling it "Diacheirese Thematon" , Greek for: Theme Administration. This mechanic should basically allow Byzantium to reshape States as they please. Say, with the current Provinces, What if Byzantium wants to consecrate a Metropolitan in Thrace, but Doesn't want to Promote Bulgarian Culture in Burgas or doesn't want to convert it?

The Solution is Simple: Demolish Thrace as a State and make a new one, I.E Give Edirne and Const. to a New State Consisting of Const., Edirne, and Macedonia. Do you want to name the state Mr. Jonathan Senior? You can. But what will you do with Burgas? Well, give it to the Bulgaria State.

Basic Requirements for state reshapement should be:
  1. New state should max have 5 provinces, min 3
  2. You have the appropriate amount of Adm. needed to perform the reshaping (scales with New State total Dev)
  3. All provinces within to-be-smashed States are owned by you and are full cores
  4. Byzantium has Re-instated the Theme system
  5. Provinces of a smashed state not part of a new one must have a neighbouring state to join without it exceeding 5 provinces, If there are 3 provinces not given a new state they automatically make their own
This will give Byzantium more flavour and a fun new and rewarding mechanic.
It should also come with a map-mode of it's own

Will it get in the game? Probably not, but I sure hope so
Will it require a lot of coding? I think?

Feedback is Welcomed

P.S: I don't think this mechanic is inherently OP, while Byz would probably make a Plethora of 5-province states, those cost more in maintenance and cost a lot of Admin. to make. It would also provide a better idea of how the Themes and by extension Byzantine Administration worked.

COLOSSAL EDIT: I thought I'd give the Mechanic to Trebizond as well, but since Treb lacks a proper Mission Tree (shame), I thought I'd give it one.

Asterisks symbolise the First Branch, with this "~" symbolising the second

Mission 1*) The Chersonese
"Our Crimean holdings have been taken away from us.
The Genoese menace makes profit and benefits from
our blood and sweat in developing the Crimean lands into
what they are today. This cannot continue, we must do something"

Mission Objectives: One of the Following has been met
  1. Theodoro is Allied with Trust over 60 / Vassalized with <50 LD
  2. Owns either Caffa, Matrega, or Azov
Mission Rewards: Permanent claim in the Pontic Steppe Region

Mission 2*) The Steppe Beyond
"We have brought Justice to our Ancestors and restored
Trapezuntian control to Crimea (if at least partly) Let the conquests continue!"

Mission Objectives:
  1. Owns all of Pontic Steppe Region
  2. Genoa: Holds no Province outside Western Europe

Mission Rewards:
  1. Gains Permanent Claim in Caucasus Region
  2. Subjugation CB aganist Georgia

Mission 3*) The Gates of Europe
"While we might own the Granary of Europe what's the point when it is
left unguarded? Our agelong Friends, the Georgians, are unfit to Protect the Gates
of Europe, as a sign of our Good will, let us relieve them of this Duty"

Mission Objectives: All of the following conditions must be met
  1. Owns Caucasus Region
  2. One of the Following must be true

• Georgia: Doesn't Exist
    • Georgia: Non-Tributary Subject of Trebizond
Mission Rewards:
  1. Trebizond: +1 Prestige per year till end of game
  2. Every Fort in Caucasus region: +25% Fort Defense for 50 years
  3. Culture in Guria, Adyghe changes to Pontic
  4. Gain Permanent Claims in Antioch, Cyprus

Mission 1~) The Anatolian Pontus
"We could once call ourselves the despots of the entire Pontus
From Crimea to Anatolia, we failed our duties in defending our lands
and people and they have lost faith in us, choosing to follow the ways
of their conquerors, we deserve a second chance"

Mission Objectives:

• Canik, Sinope, Kastamonu, Bolu: Are owned by Trebizond or their non Tributary Subjects
Mission Rewards:
  1. Culture in Sinope, Canik changes to Pontic
  2. Religion in Sinope, Canik changes to Orthodox
  3. Canik Renamed Samsounta, Capital Renamed Samsous
  4. Gain Culture CC -20% for 20 years
  5. Gain Permanent Claim on Constantinople, Hudavendigar, Kocaeli, Karasi, Sugla

Mission 2~) The Slither to the City
"Before we may reclaim our old Capital, we must ensure that we have a solid powerbase
in the Bosphorus"

Mission Objective: Karasi, Hudavendigar, Kocaeli: Owned by Treb or it's non-tributary subjects
Mission Rewards: Gain Permanent claim in Greece and Plovdiv
Gain Army Morale +10% for 10 years
Gain Navy Morale +10% for 10 years

Mission 3~) Oust the Niceans
"The Palaeologian pretenders, by sheer luck managed to get to Constantinople
faster than us in 1261 and have ever since refused to return us our lands, claiming
falsely that they had restored the Imperium Romanum while they suffered humiliating defeat
after humiliating defeat at the hands of nearly everyone, thus putting the name of the empire to shame,
we must teach these peasants that the Imperial Throne is no place for filthy commoners to sit in and corrupt with their impurities. Onwards! To Constantinople!"

Mission Objectives:

1. Constantinople: Is owned by Trebizond
  2. Byzantium: Doesn't Exist
Mission Rewards:
  1. Constantinople: If Culture is not Greek then Culture Changes to Greek
  2. Constantinople: If Religion not Orthodox then Religion changes to Orthodox
  3. Trebizond: gains Constantinople as core province
  4. Trebizond: gains Greek as accepted culture
  5. Gain Permanent claim on: Bulgaria Area, Anatolia Region

The following mission requires both Mission branches be completed and Byzantium's equivalent has been changed to resemble it

Mission 4) Re-establish the Theme System
"Due to our recent re-emergence and prevalance our armies and generals
cry out for the Theme System to be re-established. We shall gladly abide"
Mission Objectives:

1. Anatolia: Owned by Trebizond or it's non-tributary subjects
  2. Mainland Greece: Owned by Trebizond or it's non-tributary subjects
Mission Rewards:
  1. Gain "Diacheirese Thematon" unique Government mechanic
  2. Constantinople: gain 4 Base tax, 4 Base production, 3 Base manpower
  3. Gain -50% Culture Conversion cost and +2% Missionary strength in Anatolia region for 20 years
  4. Gain +15% Manpower for the rest of the game
  5. Greek naming will be restored to many of our provinces
TREBIZOND EXCLUSIVE REWARD: Gain permanent claim in Salento, Calabria, Rome
TREBIZOND EXCLUSIVE REWARD: Add option to form Byzantium (whilst keeping Trapezuntine Ideas but changing missions to Byzantine ones)
TREBIZOND EXCLUSIVE REWARD: Gain cores on Aegean and Ionian Islands

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So if as Byzantium you shift around states for your benefit, will the shifted states remain if they are conquered by another nation? Could you just end up with the Globgogabgalab state if you take over some Byzantine territory? Also some mission trees(Hungary) have you conquering certain areas, so when you shift around states would the areas remain the original areas or shift to become the new states? Also if you conquer, say, a province in the Thrace area, would you be able to create the Thrace state then? If so, then what would happen to the other provinces in the Thrace area? Would they remain in their shifted states or shift back to the Thrace area? It seems like a nice mechanic to have, but it being limited to solely Byzantium and not other nations(I don't know any examples that would make sense but there are probably some) would reduce the point in adding it.

So if as Byzantium you shift around states for your benefit, will the shifted states remain if they are conquered by another nation? Could you just end up with the Globgogabgalab state if you take over some Byzantine territory? Also some mission trees(Hungary) have you conquering certain areas, so when you shift around states would the areas remain the original areas or shift to become the new states? Also if you conquer, say, a province in the Thrace area, would you be able to create the Thrace state then? If so, then what would happen to the other provinces in the Thrace area? Would they remain in their shifted states or shift back to the Thrace area? It seems like a nice mechanic to have, but it being limited to solely Byzantium and not other nations(I don't know any examples that would make sense but there are probably some) would reduce the point in adding it.
If Hungary has a mission to Conquer Bulgaria then it will be pre-reshapement Bulgaria
And I think the changes Byz makes to a state will be permanent (for non Byz players, Byz can revert it), so by conquering an ex-Thrace province sadly wouldn't bring Thrace back
Also the mechanic should also be available to Trebizond and Rome (Byz or Treb-formed)