• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
STELLARIS: THE JEREMIAD

PBB7aNy.jpg

BOOK II: REFUGE

Too long the Hurrians, cramped and cold, have faced the challenges of the depths of the
Dark seas of space. This moment was a joyous one, a beautiful one – the women sang and
The children danced, voices in harmony, arms locked in unity – for never a day have they
Experienced on land so serene and plentiful since before the Irassian conquest.
Pashet, too, so long removed from the minds of the Hurrian people, is recalled and exalted.
At once an important and central deity, moved to the sides of consciousness as community
Expanded and grew in strength. The hunt no longer a necessity – Pashet, her temple, left
To the neglect of mind. But not to Tanat, or the other priests and priestesses. Reaching
Into her purse Tanat places her wooden figurine of the goddess of the hunt, giving it central
Place upon the altar. Ishat may be queen of heaven, but Pashet is queen of this day as Pallas
Orders a team of men, dragging a large beast, brown with fur, horns on both side of face.

Upon the altar the already deceased beast is placed. The men walk back, giving place
To Tanat who walks forward, offering a blessing and prayer, lights the pyre and the feast
Of thanksgiving begins in earnest. The Hurrians dance and sing around the altar, drinking
And Eating in the joyous ecstasy of a banquet of salvation – plumes of smoke rise into the air,
Chants echo down the beaten pathways. Even the birds above them and in the woods
Around them join in, giving soothing voice to the libations abounding in the Hurrian camp.

Little Anat, clutching her mother’s hand, dances round and round with her – a smile on her
Face, one not seen in years. Other children dance and sing with their parents, even the
Soldiers join in on the festivities of the hour. Here at the plain and embankments of clear
Wind, an open and calm haven – a refuge after storm – the rumbling of music heaving
Into the skies, whirlwind of black and grey smoke from red hot coals, heaving the smoke
Up to the stars as if to wake the gods in good grace and thanksgiving.

There Ishat is stirred by the mumbled music of her name and Ishat’s. What, she wonders
Is this cause of mumbling – the blurring of names? Am I not the patron of the Hurrian
People? Then what is the cause for the pronouncement of Pashet’s name with mine? She
Peers down to Sol, piercing clouds and smoke with her sight, sees the celebrations abounding
And even manages a grin. Tesup, however, is not so moved – stirred not by relief of landing,
He slumbers on. Ina, however, makes her passage to Sol with her brother An. An looks on
From the woods as the thanksgiving banquet rolls into the hours of night, sun setting, he enters
The camp and works his seductive charm on men, Ina, likewise, toward the women.

Pallas, the captain of the guard, approaches weeping Japra, youngest daughter and princess
Of the House of Wek. Pallas sooths her voice, An playing a harmonious and pleasing harp
As he speaks to her. Ina, likewise, comes over the young princess, lifting her up on high, she
Pours out her concerns to Pallas – memories of her father, mother, brothers and sisters, all
Left behind in Hurria, on Dultauri’s now entombed world. Pallas comforts her, takes her in
Arm, resting her head upon his chest, stroking her fine silky hair, caressing her chest, as
He sings a lullaby of the memory of war and honor – her eyes, wide, look into his, that look
That signals comfort and trust, the two lay to rest for the night; along with the rest of the
Hurrian camp, many enthralled and comforted by each other. Broken families united in
New spirit of life, disintegrated individuals without their loved ones, united in new arms.

Ina pulls away, leaving An to work his songs of sleep as the moon shines down on the camp.
She walks away, crossing over the sea, and toward another camp: Ramoth, that city of Sol,
Great city of marble and stone, arches and gold, founded by the fleeing Barack Ben Ur, chased
Out from his own home from his brother’s scheming: murder of bride to be and their father,
The king. In his palace halls he weeps, still saddened by the ordeal. Love has been taken from
Him, the love of his father, and the love of his bride. He sits on his throne, head in his hands,
That look of dejection and woe, he cannot bear his lot in life as it stands. Alone, no amount
Of the gold and power his city and people have amassed can assuage his wounded heart.

kOyfsVe.png

At night he dreams of Devorah, reliving the moment of the horror of finding her blood
Soaked body in white and gold dress. Upon the hours of the morning day he recalls
The moments out on the hunt with his father, gone too from his life; his languished actions
Tell all. Ina cannot bear to see such a handsome prince in such a state. She pulls up to his
Ears and whispers a song of love and a new image of beauty and seductiveness, voluptuousness
And the magnet of all desires. Passion is such a wonderful gift, but it should run free in joy,
Not shackled to the corpse of despair or anger. She lulls him into a sleep, no dreams of
Devorah tonight – he sleeps the way before his flight from home, to found new city on these
Shores for this very moment. His guards even notice the difference, that he is neither twisting
Nor twirling, sweating, or mumbling; he is at peace, a serenity not felt since meeting Devorah.

Ina, for her part, cracks a cunning smile on her face. She departs from him and ventures off
Into the human city, preying and prowling for new victims to entice with carnal skin and voice.
The moon of love is out in force, that unstoppable gale reserved for the rites of spring and
New life, unleashed early on Tesup’s order – but he should have known better than to trust
Unruly and powerful passions. Ina plays to the heart and ears of all, none can resist Her
Most unrelenting allure: fragrance, dress, face, body, and voice – it was decreed by heaven’s
Highest Fate, unfair even, the dream of any man and woman, the perfect draw that no mortal
Could possibly resist. And so it was that Tesup had unleashed Ina onto humanity, the new
Power of desire implanted into them on this account. Not, however, that free spirit – but one of
Cunning desire, pure and unadulterated passion, the craze of madness that accompanies love.

“Ah, sweet mother,” she decrees as she pours through the streets of Ramoth, in torn black dress
Leaving nothing to imagination, “your allure is more than no man can bear. Draw them in,
Each and every one. I will force Tanat here, into this city to be enthralled at its very sight,
Is there not a greater city than this? The muses and nymphs will sing about this night, and the
Nights to come. Telling new legends and testaments of our wonder together. We will become
Immortalized in song, immortalize Barack and Tanat, tales of bliss and love – more than mere
Belonging, no, something greater and higher even than that. Do the humans and Hurrians
Even have a word to describe the rapturous feeling of your eclipse? Songs and hymns to
Tanat and Barack they shall pen and sing, of love unfurled, conquering all things – nay,
Mortal flesh and heart cannot stop the power of love, of desire extreme, unbounded
And left to roam free. A testament to me, too, shall come forth from this,” Ina says with a laugh.

Last edited:
A trap is laid, and yet there is a sense of pride here, perhaps before a fall.

PBB7aNy.jpg

Awakening from their night of slumber and festivity, servants pour a cleansing water
Over their filled hands and faces. With the armada of ships at their back, the families
Look out over the plentitude of land, water, trees, and animals. The last fires still plume
A smoke from the feast, cut and dished meat and other foods still line the tables, others
Lay face first in their bowls and plate, others yet, cuddled over each other after a night
Of sensual pleasure and love-making – the gift of An’s soothing words and Ina’s harp.

Tanat, in her red dress, walks out into the bursting ray of sunlight. As she walks the Hurrians
Begin to come alive – breathing a longwinded sigh of relief, free and relieved of their prior
Sorrows, in their awakening realizing it was not dreams or fantasies, but that they are safe,
Having made landfall on a new planet, adjacent to a sea and forest, rich and teaming with life,
The pleasantries they so fondly remember the night before reminding them of home.
But home, home beckons, it calls, it allures and entices, it sooths – so thus, by daylight hour
The Hurrians begin weeping, weeping in memory of home, of family, of sons and daughters
Lost and left behind, of ancestors, fathers, mothers, grandfathers, and grandmothers; the very
Sources and roots of life, that filial seed that spawned those alive today, fill the heart
Of those who had made landfall on Sol without those who nurtured the, now dead.

It is not long before the Hurrians begin to bursting forth across the sea and into the woods
In exploration of this green planet, in sight of greater life and of possible danger.
The men bring down trees and begin to make small wooden boats to traverse the shoreline
While others venture up into the hills and forests, hunting, and searching, securing the camp’s
Boundaries while being ever vigilant of what lay ahead. There is no moment of comfort
Anymore, the camp teems with new life, Tanat, as if being guided by the allure of love –
That gift, and curse, from Ina that drives sentient life and wild beast mad alike, walks out,
Her party behind her, locks flowing in the wind, giving off its own fragrance as she
Waltzes with a certain melody to her movements, a graceful and enticing act to see.

It is not long until they make passage over the shoreline, approaching, with the bright
Rays of Ishat screaming forth – a comet passes over them, tail streaking behind in the skies
Moving with a brilliant speed pushed forth by the west wind under Tehom’s commands.
“It is an omen,” Japra Wek, one of the many minor priests and priestesses to have escaped,
Proclaims as he points up to the heavenly skies, “leading us to our destination. It is a blessing
Of Tehom, for she is guiding us to company and safety.”

XC1Qf7K.png

It’s an omen!

Back in Ramoth, Barack Ben Ur moves in his palace – suddenly alive, filled with life himself
Unlike the likes of his friends and advisors have seen since fleeing to found this city of refuge.
The city also moves with vibrations and songs of festivities. The working of Ina and An have
Crossed the boundaries that Tesup had originally agreed upon. It is like a gathering of
Dancers, snake-handlers, and fire-eaters, twirling and moving wildly – the human festivities
Rocking the city bring about a wild orgy in the morning sunrise. Celebrations to the goddess
Of Sun and Love permeates ever crevice and stone, stretches over every arch, and infects every
Soul and home. Wild, uncontrolled, and unrestrained passion – like the wild waves of the
Blue seas crashing upon the shore of the beach, the comets and meteors screeching across
The depths of the seas of space, like knights of old charging forth against each other
Only to rock into one another and shatter into a splintering fire of many a million pieces.
Ramoth is a live, like nearby Tel Nenive – that wild city of unrestrained sensuality that can
Tire out even the goddess of love herself!

As the streets move with the mindless passions of the humans, a guard in the tower looks out,
He sees Tanat, her followers, and Monak Tor, and a small party of soldiers with the Hurrians.
The guard cries out, “Halt! Halt! Halt!” To which the Hurrians quickly abide by. Men open the
Gates, rushing forth to meet them on horseback, they converse as to the nature of this meeting.
Tanat’s gaze falls over the soldiers, the lead officer – such tenderness and voluptuousness,
Her eyes light the already glistening air, the Hurrians too, the human soldiers see, look much
Like them, but they are aware that they are not humans but something else? Like the nymphs
Or Naiads, other mystical and mythical creatures of their imagination, imagination no more.
“I am Tanat, Priestess of the goddess Ishat, and we are humble travelers and pilgrims. Our
Homes have been destroyed, and we seek a place to stay.”

The soldiers stumble about. The officer calls to the back, telling the men to run back to the prince,
“Inform Prince Barack,” he shouts, keeping a smile to the refugee guests that have appeared
At their gates. It is not long before the drums and trumpets of the prince sound, magnificent
Banners unfurled, the golden star flanked in a green sea of cloth. The prince rides out on his
Prized warhorse, as he looks up and sees Tanat face, Ina clutches his heart. He is held
Breathless, a rapturous feeling comes over him – he is, for a moment, speechless. No woman
Has ever possessed a beauty that our most famous theologian could have ever dreamt about,
For if he had lived to see Tanat, even he would have remained ensnared to his passions.
“My lord,” says the officer outside the gates, “This is Princess Tanat of the Hurrians, and these
Are her people. Migratory pilgrims she claims – their home destroyed, wanderers across
Our sea and desert.” Barack simply stares at Tanat’s face, gazing into her eyes. Ina clutches
His heart ever harder, sinking her poison into him. It is the look of the thunderbolt.

Still speechless, and noticing the impossible stupor that the prince is in, Tanat smiles,
“Fair prince, I beseech you – our fate is in your hands. We have travelled afar, and are in
Need of rest. We mean no harm, but ask only for your hospitality.” Tanat’s soothing voice
Pierces Barack’s ear, and moves not to his head but down into his heart. It is a voice
So marvelous and wonderful, it reminds him of Devorah and his mother – as if the two women
He loved most had suddenly been infused into a new body. He looks up and finally speaks,
“You are most welcome here. My palace and city is home to you.”

I do not trust his words, no matter how mellifluous the voice.

Considering what this AAR is, and what it is not, I have begun to bring to life our little tale! Here are the first two recordings, Cantos 1-18 of Book I, now with voice! I will get up to speed to bring all the current updates to life before continuing, and will have an audio recording to accompany the text. The videos are also editing into the original posts, so you can just go back to Page 1 and play them while reading along with the text.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have only listened for partial section. I find it interesting that you read with a slightly different beat from my own reading - can't quite decide if that is due to accent of something else.

I have subscribed to the channel though so to give me a chance to listen in full when I can.

PBB7aNy.jpg

Audio voice over if you prefer to have this read the way it is meant to be!

With Barack’s open arms and invitation, the Hurrians begin to enter the city;
One of magnificent stone and marble arches – quaint, quite beautiful and
Pleasant on the eyes, far more so than the dark and cramped metallic beasts
Of ships that they had recently been hurdling through the seas of space in.
The streets are lined, paved, with an even stone – something that even some of the
More advanced of lifeforms have been unable to replicate despite their technology.
Humans are a simple people, carefree, often giving over to passionate impulse
Rather than rational thought – whatever capabilities they have for the latter is often
And almost certainly always troubled by the inability to control their most basic animalist desire.
It is, after all, unsurprising to see so many strewn out across the street from last night’s festivities.

At the distance, and upon the highest hill, sits Barack’s palace. Impressive to
Behold, a sight that, in itself, embodies and reflects the prestige and power of his holding,
He, at the head of the column, talks endlessly, free and open. He has not been as cheerful
And happy since the murder of Devorah at the hands of his brother. Ina sinks her poisonous
Desire into his heart by the passing second, clutching ever harder – her power
Unrelenting and captivating – unleashing the carnal desires of the young prince over Tanat.
For her part, though, Tanat seems to have weathered the charm and spells of Ina toward Barack.
As the Hurrians parade through the city toward the palace she wonders to herself,

Is this Elysium? Surely it cannot be. But such a wonderful and lovely place with an open-hearted
People, it would be ideal to call this home if only I could be certain that this is the place

That Ishat, Tesup, and the great gods of our ancestors have in store for us.

“Welcome, princess, to my humble home,” Barack states, as gestures out his hand and the
Palace doors of gold and marble swing open by the work of a dozen guards. As if a child,
Though, he cannot constrain himself. He grabs Tanat’s arm and leads her in. She blushes,
Ever so faintly, now recognizing what she should have during the trek to his palace – Ina has
Worked a spell over him, he is clearly so madly in love with her to the point that he won’t even
Try to hide it anymore thanks to Ina’s restless passionate erotica, as you well know,
Time and time again seeking to unleash her beauty and fragrance upon all the universe.

h5Z5LHA.jpg

But now, at long last, Ina has him in her clutches,
Whispering into his ear with sooth, seductive words of pleasantries,
And I fear the outcome of her welcome here … She won’t rest one bit
Until she has brought the two in total matrimony with one another; whilst at
The same time her brother roams free over the lands, charming with erotic spell
Both human and Hurrian alike – a clear violation of the stipulations handed down by Tesup.
Nay, Ina won’t hold back while Fate is turning on its hinge.
Tanat, mother priestess and princess of us all, now given over to Barack, that poor and sad
Young man who had everything taken from him – left to rot in mindless slumber,
Now awoken and given new life with her presence by his side. But no goddess of love and sex
Will ever change her songs of merriment from up on high—she is his and he hers.

As they enter the grand room, adorned with many tables and plates, food and drink aplenty,
Barack guides Tanat to the head of table and calls for another royal chair to be brought to
Its head. He orders the servants to place it beside his and draws the chair back and
Offers it over to Tanat. He proclaims that all the guests find a place to sit. The prince clears
His throat, lifting a cup and says, “Dear Father, hear me now – how can we go about this?
Friends, my lady, this will be the day that you forever remember you have set afoot in Ramoth.
Bearing your burdens and hardships, I implore you to find rest here – you shall be guests
Of honor, saved from the tumultuous dangers of the sea and the gruesome heat of the sun.
My shrines, my city, my palace, you can call home until you decide for yourselves to stay or
Continue upon your travels; though, if I may, I would … I would suggest you choose to stay.”

Humans and Hurrians are now all intermixed about, chatting, eating, and drinking, a merry
Time for many – if not all – to be sure. Ina’s trap has sprung open, her cunning and sinister
Grip over Barack’s heart now fully consummated. An, her brother, pours a libation to the his
Sister, Goddess of love and passion, into Tanat’s drink as she sips – the wine of new life
Flowing through her body, freely given at the royal household of a prince now completely lost
In joyous stupor, cradles Tanat in his lap, caressing her gently with a secret fire being grown
Within her, and his, the poison of the passions.

An leaps up at once, into his sister’s arm, shedding a tear as he looks over the scene;
Ina, prancing with a stride of seduction distills a deep voice over the congregation, soothing
Sleep over all in attendance. Now both are on the move, going table to table, Ina giving An
His orders as he pours out libations into all drinks, lifting the spirits up on high
To meet the gazing light of beauty from heaven above, that serenity away from hardship that
All seek; that peace high above all which is so elusive to ever catch a glimpse of, but calls all to it.

Above all, now, porous Barack, doomed to the plagues of the passions of his heart,
Cannot help but to feast his eyes upon her, thrilled both by the boyhood glee inside him
As he, more or less, looks upon her; the fire inside him grows ever more fearsome and wild.
At once he embraces Tanat more than just simple caressing, almost as if clinging to her
To satiate the deep love of his father and Devorah who had been taken away from him too soon.
Her gaze, her whole heart rivets him now, and at times even Tanat warms up to him as
He snuggles up in her breast, resting his head for rest as Tanat sooths him. Mighty the gods
Are, indeed, sinking teeth and hand into the destinies of lovers, destinies intertwined
In passing but Fate, oh cruel Fate! Numb to the passions and dreams of life, tugging them away.

There is an almost Odyssian (is that even a word?) quality to this passage.

Pity poor mortals with whom the gods do play.

The reading was fun! Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Book I is fully updated with the narrator giving rhetorical replay of the great classic of the Hurrian peoples! Now listen to the classic as it is meant to be! :cool:

The original pages with each unit of cantos has the video-recorded embedded. Read along with the soothing voice of our great narrator recalling the great story of the Hurrian people and their flight to Elysium and all the trials and tribulations that follow as a result!

Nice!

THE JOURNEYS OF TANAT AND THE HURRIANS
THROUGH BOOKS I AND II

SYSkXki.png

As with the Index of Characters and References, which is now updated following the close of Book II, here will begin a series of maps charting the course of Tanat and the Hurrian jouney to Elysium.

PBB7aNy.jpg

BOOK III: THE SPIRIT OF MEN

The audio recording of the first eight cantos of Book III!

THE captive power of Ina’s spells have now sunk into the hearts and minds of all
Inside Barack’s palace. It is a place, thanks to Ina and An, that is burning in warm fire.
One could be excused for thinking it an orgy – the merriment, caressing, and chatter
Abounds in the air like sweet nectar and fragrance, giving all the longing desire for
Something more than themselves. As for Tanat and Barack, Ina’s words of love
Has inflamed their flesh and hearts to the point of tripping over one another
That fragrance of love’s perfumes; a misty firmament raining down upon them,
Their souls parched, but finding that quenching drink in the arms of each other.

But then, with first lull in the feast, and the tables now cleared away,
The people set aside their plates and bowls, stand aloft, and begin to set out across the palace.
Barack takes Tanat in his arms, resting his head upon her breast, smiling, dazed and confused
As Ina pushes them along in each other’s arms. Around them the hall now emptying, voices
Of the many hundreds of others echoing about in the chamber, he opens his doors to her
And invites her into his palace room. They light the lamps hanging from the marbled,
Mosaic, and gold-crusted ceilings; the lamps now blazing away with sweet aroma,
A scent fitting of the gods as Ina hovers from the ceilings breathing that sweet charm of
Spices from the lamps, now rushing out to greet our two lovers and fill them with
That desiring fragrance which draws peoples and animals together.

Barack snaps his fingers and calls for a golden plate to be brought out to him,
Studded with jewels and diamonds and teeming with a glistening shine like nothing
Tanat had ever before seen. From the bedroom chambers Barack lifts up a prayer,
“Shamshah, you, they say, are the mighty one who grants the laws and dispensations of justice
That are bestowed upon the guests of one’s home – May this day be one of joy for Princess
Tanat and her people, all the exiles travelling about in our city and perhaps elsewhere.
May this day be a day of joyous memory for their sons and daughters, may they be given
Over to the bliss and warmth of our welcome, Oh Shamshah, generous Shamshah,
Bless us now and grant these thy petitions.”

As Tanat and Barack sit inside his chambered room, the thick smoke of love
Spreads across the room, now fully filling it with fragrance and aroma as Ina smiles behind
The covers of the curtains. An, too, beside her, takes a peak as Barack turns to Tanat and
Prostrates himself onto her feet. Looking up into her mesmerizing eyes, like lightning striking him,
“Surely you are not the incarnation of Lillith, or of Devorah – how, how, how? Can there be
More to life than torment?” Tanat, blushing, and confused, stands over him,
She extends her arm to him, clutching him, and begins lifting him up.
Now on his feet, she turns away, showing to him her neck and back, her rosy glow,
Walking about her mane of hair calls to him, and her dress, flowing loose, rippling
Down to her feet as she strides alone in the room, Barack twisting and looking about turns
His eyes up to heaven as if to ask for chastity – but not quite yet.

Tanat stopped, turned about, looking at him with an enchanted smile and charm, “Young
Prince,” she says to him, “Pardon my ignorance for not knowing you and your story,
But my heart grieves for your wounds deep in your heart. Tell me, sweet prince, what
Troubles and wounds weigh down your heart and sink you into the abyss of darkness
Discontent, alienation, and anxiety? Sooth me, in your voice, what anguishes you.”

Barack, eyes turning and churning about, heart racing and pumping faster than ever before
Cannot help but exclaim, “The voice of the demons are heard throughout my land and my
Heart. Listen, can you hear them drawing near in their search for us sinners? They feed
On the power of love, and the evil within me, the incarnation of Lillith’s creation and all
Things that you and I should dread. My own brother, consumed by a devil, slaughtered my
Once bride to be, Devorah – like you, a strutting and seductive, powerful and charming
Woman, full of courage and leadership. Possessed, as he was, he also lashed out and slit our
Father’s throat and seized the throne – casting me into the darkness of the desert with
All of those peoples loyal to my father and I, the binding union of tribes now shattered to war.

My heart has been forever aggrieved, a pierced hole from the sword of my own kith,
And kin. I once believed, without any hesitation, that the power of love and truth could lead us
Onto the light of salvation! I have sunk into a stupor, a pit of darkness, mind slumbering,
Heart twisted and wrenched as I’ve struggled with seeking revenge. To the point that I had
Even begun to conjure up Lillith’s slaughtered children whom she ate in her own rage.
Lillith has destroyed the world I once loved and knew. Nay, not since until this day!
Tell me, great Princess, is there more to life than this, is there any way that I can restore to
Life the love I once knew and cherished – devoting all my body and soul to that old light?
Such darkness has swelled up over these lands, up upon the altar of darkness, my heart
Has been led to it, I have let darkness and rage take control of my life! No prayer, no candle, no
Amount of piety lifted me up until you came into my sight. What then, can save me if I cannot save myself?”

Tanat, her own heart broken by the shell of the prince, sobbing as he told her his story,
Spoke from up on high, “Surely there are some things in this life worth living for.
There is more to life than the swelling storms of Darkness and perpetual torture.
There must be something worth living for; there are things worth striving for – as
You reach up on high and sing those joyful songs of ascent; isn’t the union of love and beauty
Something worth dying for? Yes, the union of love and beauty is worth dying for!
I, and all my peoples, have come up to the walls of your city for no other reason this.
There has to be a way to restore to life the light you once held and knew.
Stand tall, dear prince, and look not at that which is beyond your eyes. Give yourself
Strength and bring full the hearts and minds of your citizens with the same fortitude of hope.”
Behind them all, back behind the scarlet curtains of the palace room, Ina closes her eyes
And tilts her head slightly backward, and smiles as the rays of the sun pass through the glass.

There seems to be a sense of something like catharsis to these ardent and urgent speeches of the heart.