• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today, we're going to continue talking about the Distant Stars Story Pack that will be accompanying the 2.1 'Niven' update, on the topic of exploration and new things to find in the galaxy. As with the previous dev diary, we're going to be fairly light on the details to avoid spoilering too much of what's out there to explore in Distant Stars.

New Anomalies
Distant Stars adds several dozen new anomalies to the game, with everything from simple discoveries to complex event chains (including the opportunity to make a new and very different kind of friend...) Overall, Distant Stars increase the anomaly count of the game by about 50%. We've also taken the time to go back and improve some old anomalies and fix up others that did not spawn correctly, so that even those without Distant Stars will be able to experience new discoveries in the Niven update.
2018_05_03_2.png

2018_05_03_4.png

New Systems
Distant Stars adds around 20 new, unique systems to the galaxy, similar to Sanctuary or Zanaam in the base game. Most of these systems have unique encounters, event chains or anomalies related to them, and some are actually several systems with a common background or event chain tying them together. Overall, though none of these systems are guaranteed to spawn in any individual game, every randomly generated galaxy in Distant Stars should contain some new and potentially rewarding discoveries for your empire to make.
2018_05_03_3.png

New Leviathans
Distant Stars also adds 3 new Leviathans to the galaxy. Two of these Leviathans work in a similar way to existing ones, while one is altogether different from anything you will have seen before. As with previous Leviathans in the Leviathan Story Pack, these new Leviathans have curator dialogue and interactions related to them, which means that the Curator Enclave will appear in the galaxy if you have Distant Stars but do not own Leviathans (Traders and Artists do not spawn unless you have Leviathans, however).
2018_05_03_1.png

That's all for today! Next week we're going to talk about the Niven update, on the topic of Space Creatures and Strategic Resources.

It's a bit light in information but that makes sense for a story pack based around the unknown and discovery.
I guess I'll have to wait for the launch.

Im always a fan of more anomalies, really spices up the exploration game so a 50% increase is great! :eek:

[...] on the topic of Space Creatures and Strategic Resources.

Here's hoping we get a complete rework of Strategic Resources that is more akin to, for example, Gal Civs 3 resource system where you actively produce small amounts of strategic resources (like you would produce Minerals) and those can then be used for special ship modules, buildings or be traded away. Would also align really well with a future trade & diplomacy update. ;):rolleyes:

Will there be any additional precursor event chains?

No new precursor event chains per se, though the L-Cluster chain mentioned in last dev diary is somewhat similar (though much more involved both in execution and outcomes).

That final image reminds me of the Hypergate from the 1998 Lost in Space movie. Just watched it a few days ago, funnily enough.

I'm looking forward to the Space Creatures update. I'm not a big fan of them just being random mobs right now. I hope we get some ecology and interesting choices for their relation to our empire.

I'm hoping for more interactions with Leviathans, including old ones, that don't involve killing them. Those interactions could be friendly but also something like restraining a living Leviathan for scientific study, etc.

Oh sweet Jesus, is that a Colossus leviathan I see? Can you imagine pissing that thing off and it comes straight for your capital? Worm preserve us!
Edit: or maybe it's a fleet destroying super weapon? Either way can't wait to find out myself. I'm gonna poke it with a BIG stick. What's the worse that can happen?

Distant Stars also adds 3 new Leviathans to the galaxy. Two of these Leviathans work in a similar way to existing ones

Sooo boring big enemy that ocuppy system which you destroy once you have big enough fleet?
I hoped for some diversion in leviathans, perhaps some rework with the old ones, so that they are not just a system blocker.