• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((For RP purposes, we can say that Franche-Comte was overthrown by German citizens ala 2014 Crimea. As for the "grayed out add CB" button, perhaps it could be because of warscore?))

((I wonder if you have to have enough warscore for all existing goals before you can add a new one. Could that be it?

Update coming in an hour or two; got something else to do first.))

((I wonder if you have to have enough warscore for all existing goals before you can add a new one. Could that be it?

Update coming in an hour or two; got something else to do first.))

((I'm not sure, you just have to get enough warscore. IDK how much.))

While exploring the Hohenzollern Estates Prinz Ferdinand von Hohenzollern finds a old manuscript named Mein Reich in the old room of his departed father.He decides to keep it hidden under his bed and read it when he is a little older.
((He can read but only on basic lvls.))

((You have got to be kidding me ...))

1854: The Franco-German War, part 2

Michael von Hohenzollern’s selection as Foreign Minister marked the return of the Hohenzollerns to at least a limited degree of real power in the Republic of Germany. Albrecht von Hohenzollern’s service as Chief of the Navy was largely seen as symbolic by most observers. Right away, he pushed his own policies, seeking to annex more French territory and reclaim German lands in Pomerania. He also sought to improve relations with the Papacy, and that was his first priority in the opening days of 1854.

fbo0.jpg

The knowledge that the British had outmaneuvered the Germans and gained a key foothold into the Papal States was very disconcerting, but as long as the President of the Economic Planning Commission wanted his railroads to go through Rome, he would spend as much diplomatic capital as possible. Despite poor relations, businessmen in the Vatican were only too eager to accept German money to improve their local railroads.

Off the coast of Brittany, the Franco-German War was being decided, not on land, but at sea.

vcks.jpg

72,000 German soldiers waited anxiously to see if the men o’ war could fight off the faster and more numerous French frigates. Of all the parts of the Unger Plan, only this one had failed, and that only because nobody had expected so much of the French fleet to be in a position to intercept the German fleet before the rest of the German navy arrived from Natal. As a preliminary measure, the ranking naval officer quietly took a launch to Brittany and signed a pact to allow the German soldiers to go ashore there, if necessary. [1]

In the Pyrenees, the Battle of Foix showed that the French weren’t quite done yet, even if their resolve was weakening.

70z2t.jpg

General Stoltzer didn’t care about casualties – he cared about chasing down and beating the French. If anybody had any questions about that, the Battle of Toulouse would quickly clarify things.

0ghdv.jpg

While several French fortresses had fallen, it was this willingness to advance, regardless of cost, that finally broke the French will to fight. Three days later, the French government sued for peace. Michael von Hohenzollern insisted on handling the negotiations personally, and took the first train to Paris.

zcdm.jpg

The French were shocked when they heard German demands. The French Foreign Minister tried to go back on his word once the “Champagne plan” was presented, and initially refused to surrender the lands in Spain he’d promised. When Michael indicated that Chancellor Bismarck was quite prepared to burn Paris to the ground, if necessary, to gain what Germany needed for her defense, even the most hawkish French politician quailed. The French Governor of Chaumont, which would become a French enclave surrounded by Germany, asked for peaceful integration rather than see German armies take his land by force in five years. Michael delightedly accepted.

42my.jpg

q368.jpg

One final attempt by the French to escape the harsh peace was unequivocally rejected, and the lands were properly integrated into the German republic.

ha87o.jpg

Chancellor Bismarck’s declaration that, under the Citizenship Law passed many years ago, all inhabitants of the recently conquered territories would immediately become German citizens sparked two very different kinds of revolt. A secret society of French officers tried to organize a popular militia to resist German occupation. Unfortunately for them, the Corps of Gendarmerie had infiltrated them a long time ago, and half of their number were gone after the formal first session.

4jf0.jpg

In Treviso, a group of Germans were outraged that anybody could become “a German for losing at the right time.” The riot was even more swiftly put down than it had sprung up.

kplu.jpg

With the Franco-German war concluded, the business of the Republic returned to peaceful pursuits. Railroads to the newly conquered territories, Vienna, and the “toe” of the Italian boot quickly sprang up with government funds. [2]

0xvh.jpg

New processes for forging steel sped the process up even more quickly. One German industrial magnate, a Friedrich von Krupp, was especially excited by the new technology, claiming that “if he were given the proper funds, he could make artillery that would cause the enemies of Germany to tremble and beg for mercy.”

9789p.jpg

znh2.jpg

In June, a group of Jacobins, Karl Marx at their head, claimed another government as Athens surrendered to a clandestine group of revolutionaries. Calling themselves the “British Faction”, not one of them could speak English.

fhu3i.jpg

But that was quickly forgotten, as Castille stunned by the world by taking on France and Grenada by herself, looking to claim still more formerly Spanish lands. Although a Castillan diplomat had sounded out Germany’s reaction, Michael von Hohenzollern would not break the truce with France. It appeared, at least in the early going, that Castille might have gotten a bit too aggressive.

etlu.jpg

Just in case, German troops moved closer to the border with France. France had put down most of their rebels, but scattered elements had crossed the border once or twice. [3]

b1ln8.jpg

The Franco-German War involved great gains for the German Republic, but great cost as well. Not just in lives, but in currency, although German reserves were still ample.

8oal1.jpg

1855 looked to be, perhaps, a peaceful year, for rebuilding and slowly assimilating the new lands Germany had acquired, but much depended on the rest of the world.

[1] I keep forgetting that unless you actively call an ally into a war, you need military access to get on their lands. Fortunately, we “won” the battle; we lost some transports, but took a lot of them with us, and no soldiers were harmed.

[2] Actually, a lot of that was done by German capitalists. I think I maybe added five or six provinces worth of railroads.

[3] We actually “lost” a battle because one of these rebel stacks attacked us while we were still exiled. They took like 3500 casualties and we took less than a hundred, but sure, “we lost.” :D

I’m going to hold off on my plan until see how you guys react; let the games begin!

Last edited:
(( Would you believe I originally routed the line through Chaumont, but rerouted it when I realized it wasn't one of our war goals? Go figure!

Anyways, can I get data on our factories and my usual 'what's profitable?' report? Thanks! ))

Sacrificing hundreds of thousands of young men to take territory with people who do not want to live in our republic and to help a greedy and short-sighted ally. Was it worth it? I think the cemeteries have given us a clear answer.

-Carlo Brunelli

Considering we have secured peace in our time for Germany, and years of prosperity to come, I do not think it was in vain, Herr Brunelli.

- Otto von Bismarck

(( Would you believe I originally routed the line through Chaumont, but rerouted it when I realized it wasn't one of our war goals? Go figure!

Anyways, can I get data on our factories and my usual 'what's profitable?' report? Thanks! ))

((I'll send it to you later on today. I didn't mention this in the update, but I upgraded a handful of factories and bumped priorities on others. I'll post a screenshot too.))

((What were the total losses of the war? Are you keeping track of each wars losses and kills?))

((I am not keeping track of casualties, no; I can in the future, though. I'd say, just as a guess, we lost around 40,000 soldiers. Harder to estimate French losses because a lot of armies were wiped out -- over 100,000 easily, possibly as high as 200,000. The naval battle ended when France surrendered. The fleet that was attacked was 5 men o' war and all of our transports -- 59 to be exact. A screenshot I took the day after the surrender shows that fleet is now 4 men o' war and 30 transports. We gave as good as we got; we sunk lots of French warships, but I don't have specific numbers.))

Apologies, Stadtholder Meier, but I just now had a chance to run the figures you asked for. Here is a list of all currently operating factories in the Republic, as well as those under construction.

ng19.jpg

Industry is booming, members of the Reichstag. Although these numbers are on projected figures, we believe them to be reliable.

The global market is booming as well, although there are still many economic opportunities to be had for still further enrichment. Steel remains profitable, although the gap between supply and demand is closing rapidly. However, our analysts believe that this is not due to increased supply, but a drop off in demand. As further evidence, Machine Parts, for the first time in twenty years, are slightly oversupplied to the market, but the supply has not increased appreciably. While the recent war with France has certainly enriched Germany, in the long term, without the German government demanding goods to expand her army, navy, infrastructure, and industrial base, demand has fallen off in the short term.

Glass, Liquor, Wine, all manner of Clothes and Furniture, Lumber, and Fabric all remain highly profitable consumer goods; Lumber has the largest shortfall between supply and demand, with 1000 fewer units being produced than ordered. In military goods, the market for Explosives, Clipper Ships, Steamers, Ammunition, Small Arms, and Artillery is also rife with opportunities for economic benefit, although it should be noted that the Steamer market is very small at the moment; perhaps Herr Gutfreund could have a part in stimulating that particular market.

I hope you, and the rest of the members of the Reichstag, have found this report illuminating.

Chief of the Statistics Bureau

((At the risk of the dreaded triple post, it apparently falls to me get you guys to wake up. :D))

Gentlemen,

I know the people of Germany are weary of war. The casualties against France were nothing like we have ever seen before, and I sincerely hope we shall never see them again.

However, I am worried about Pomerania. To leave them without proper protection and Poland lurking over their shoulders seems wrong to me. I am fully confident that, if given the opportunity, my good friend Herr Unger could easily defeat the unjust, corrupt, and brutal dictators overseeing their western provinces with a single army in less than two months. I ask, once again, for the right to declare war on Pomerania for our cores. To reclaim all of Germany's European cores is something that must be done, and something my ancestors would be proud to see.

I also request of the Assembly the right to send aid to the Spanish government in fighting France and Granada to reclaim their ancestral lands. We will send no troops -- Germany honors her agreements, unlike other countries I could name -- but some money and supplies, totalling approximately £5 per day.

Thank you all for your time.

Michael von Hohenzollern

I vote nay to war with Pomerania. While it is important that Germany regains her lost territory, we have just fought two wars, and I believe that we must recover our strength before we fight another one. On the subject of sending monetary support to our Castillian allies I vote yea, for we must support our allies in their struggle to regain their lost territory.

~Friedrich von Hohenstaufen

I vote nay to war with Pomerania. While it is important that Germany regains her lost territory, we have just fought two wars, and I believe that we must recover our strength before we fight another one. On the subject of sending monetary support to our Castillian allies I vote yea, for we must support our allies in their struggle to regain their lost territory.

~Friedrich von Hohenstaufen

((What kind of jingoist are you? :p))

((What kind of jingoist are you? :p))

((I'm opportunistic jingoism; every time I've opposed a war it's because I find it inconvenient.:D))

If needed I will lead an army against the Pomerania. I am also in favor of sending monetary aid to our allies.

((Since I lost my position with the end of the war. Nothing really to do.))