• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I think giving the Chancellor the power to fire ministers for things like inactivity is reasonable, as long as it's for issues not related to what's going on in-game. Just make sure they can't go on an in-character firing spree and get rid of any minister that doesn't do exactly what they say. :p))

((I vote for #1, and Avindian yes, we need to increase relations with Poland and Britain and sphere Japan(middle level priority)))

Okay. It's actually an hour shy, but we'll go ahead and say that the Foreign Ministry plan passes. Interior will pass about this time tomorrow, barring a "no" vote. Tomorrow I'll also officially rule on the issue of firing ministers; I don't think a formal vote is necessary as it's so far been unanimous and nobody has proposed something clearly superior to just letting the Chancellor freely replace ministers for inactivity.

((Sorry, everybody! :())

From the desk of Minister de Spinoza

I apologize for my absence. Here is my new financial plan:

With the ending of the war with Britain, we can lower our stockpile spending. Our army and navy spending should be decreased, while industrial spending should stay the same. German industry is among the best in the world, and we should keep it that way. But with no current wars, military spending is no longer as vital.

Taxes can also be lowered as well.
((Does anyone know what some good tax rates are? Thanks. :)))

((Sorry, everybody! :())

From the desk of Minister de Spinoza

I apologize for my absence. Here is my new financial plan:

With the ending of the war with Britain, we can lower our stockpile spending. Our army and navy spending should be decreased, while industrial spending should stay the same. German industry is among the best in the world, and we should keep it that way. But with no current wars, military spending is no longer as vital.

Taxes can also be lowered as well.
((Does anyone know what some good tax rates are? Thanks. :)))
((Well from the last screen shots we have a one million pound reserve losing one hundred pounds a day with full miltary spending so really any rates will work))

((You don't need specific numbers, necessarily, but if you could at least give me a range, I'd find that tremendously helpful. :)))

(( Who, if anyone, specifies where and when we build railroads? ))

(( Who, if anyone, specifies where and when we build railroads? ))

((That would be you. :)))

EDIT: Interior plan passes. Also, since nobody objected, I'm going to go and formally grant the power to the Chancellor to replace ministers for inactivity. As jeeshadow has been inactive for quite some time, and has not responded to my PMs, I hereby authorize DB to choose a new Minister of War.

Last edited:
(( I was afraid I had overlooked something. Darn! ))

EDIT: Interior plan passes. Also, since nobody objected, I'm going to go and formally grant the power to the Chancellor to replace ministers for inactivity. As jeeshadow has been inactive for quite some time, and has not responded to my PMs, I hereby authorize DB to choose a new Minister of War.

((In which case, I am told by my UAI colleagues that Jérôme Defarge (Warlord Skorr) would be a good candidate – even if he does seem somewhat bellicose. :)))

(( I was afraid I had overlooked something. Darn! ))

((You can always change your mind in 1841!))

((In which case, I am told by my UAI colleagues that Jérôme Defarge (Warlord Skorr) would be a good candidate – even if he does seem somewhat bellicose. :)))

((Please do notify him, then. :)))

I wish to thank Chancellor von Wächtersbach for my appointment to the Minister of War. I will strive to my utmost to protect the interests of the Republic in the administration of the military as much as I did in diplomatic matters.

Given the state of the military as it is, I have no intend of altering the military program of Minister von Bern in any grand way. However, I would have us fortify all of our provinces surrounding Rome with as modern design of fortress as possible. I was against punishing Rome for their aggression in the last war, but I believe we should make certain if the Pope repeats his mistake it will cost his armies dearly.

Last edited:
I wish to thank Chancellor von Wächtersbach for my appointment to the Minister of War. I will strive to my utmost to protect the interests of the Republic in the administration of the military as much as I did in diplomatic matters.

Given the state of the military as it is, I have no intend of altering the military program of Minister von Bern in any grand way. However, I would have us fortify all of our provinces surrounding Rome with as modern design of fortress as is possible. I am as was against punishing Rome for their aggression in the last war, but I believe we should make certain if the Pope repeats his mistake it will cost his armies dearly.

((Do you wish to expand/contract the army or navy? Build additional naval bases?))

As soon as this plan passes, I'll play.

((Do you wish to expand/contract the army or navy? Build additional naval bases?))

As soon as this plan passes, I'll play.
((Keep the armies and navies the sizes they are, and no new naval bases))

Then the war plan passes. I'm going to play here in a few minutes, and have an update up after that!

July 1840-July 1841: The industrial boom begins

Although cholera and influenza continued to ravage German lands, Chancellor von Wächtersbach was hailed as a visionary as the economy of Germany continued to expand and grow.

d5kw.jpg

The disappearance of Friedrich von Hohenzollern caused much consternation in the beer halls, but the name more frequently mentioned, even among the poor, was Paul Meier. The President of the Planning Commission completely revitalized German industry with a comprehensive plan to build new factories and close unproductive ones. Skilled workingmen flocked to Prague, in particular, as the center of industrial renaissance. The effects of this boom reached as far as Neustrelitz, which saw the founding of the country’s first stock exchange. The Neustrelitz Grain Exchange opened its doors in April of 1841.

w2dt.jpg

Another key center of industrial growth was Italy. Piedmont received state funding to open a series of new schools, designed specifically to train the worker of the future.

h1ed.jpg

New fortifications broke ground around the Papal States, making the Pope nervous enough to send a protest to the Chancellor – a protest which fell on deaf ears. Venice, which saw its Clipper Shipyard reopened and subsidized by the government, voluntarily began an intensive program of Germanization to show their gratitude. [1]

uiby.jpg

Germany’s decision to stay at peace while the rest of the world continued to quarrel paid dividends as well. German-Japanese relations grew closer than ever, while the people of Castille openly embraced the idea of ties with Germany, even as the government showed some hesitation.

wiw2.jpg

ffzp.jpg

Foreign Minister von Bern was also credited with forestalling another crisis in Ak Koyunlu.

rx7r.jpg

The only trouble spot for the first twelve months of the Wächtersbach administration was Saxony, where much to the surprise of former Army Chief of Staff von Mannerheim, Stadtholder von Leipzig, some charismatic workers spoke out against what they called “inhumane” working conditions. [2]
vu30.jpg

Yet, even more potentially dangerous (and a source of some concern for Minister of the Interior von Sigmaringen) was a group of radicals, who supported the abolition of the wealth based voting system that had served the Republic of Germany for years.

59y2.jpg

Still, that was a problem for the future. Under the inspired leadership of Maximillian von Unger, the only person from the Picard administration to keep his old post, German intellectual development reached an “Age of Idealism.”

y874.jpg

There was a profound sense of pride in German accomplishments, and the nation enthusiastically expressed their approval of the Bern speech against “French Imperialism” in a demonstration, taking place in the newly named Löthringen (formerly Lorraine). [3]

icr0.jpg

A couple more useful images I couldn’t fit into the narrative for the update:

Railroads:

ru9r.jpg

Foreign policy:

7ggl.jpg

And budget:

j2rg.jpg

Idhrendur, all of your factories were built or are being built – the AI also started an ammunition factory in Bohemia.

Budget right now is 60/55/50 (poor-rich), with 25% Army spending and 30% Navy spending. I’m kind of OCD about having my tax rates 5% apart, but we could always change that, if Finance wants to.

Some Georgian, I’m continuing to ignore the Asian crises, because even if we one supported one side or another, it would fizzle. If you want to take a more active position, let me know. If there’s a European crisis, we’ll stop and handle it.

[1] That’s a lot of code – for the non-Vicky 2 experts, the upshot is a boost in assimilation rate (to Bavarian culture, our primary culture) at the expense of a one-time in infamy and reduced relations with anybody with cores of Lombard culture – in other words, no one.

[2] They want 14 hour workdays – I figured no self-respecting conservative would give into such demands (and it would just increase reform desire, not actually make any policy changes).

[3] An unintended benefit of my absent mindedness; I fired these decisions after the Venice event, so we only have a total of .8 infamy. We’ll burn that off in about four months.

48 hours begins now, for ministers to submit any and all changes. Shal5, you are officially now a voting member of the AAR!

((No changes for me. However, with the boost to Research by both Idealism and Inspired Leader we should finish the army tech by July 1842 right? Or was Idealism not learned until close to the end of this last update?))

((No changes for me. However, with the boost to Research by both Idealism and Inspired Leader we should finish the army tech by July 1842 right? Or was Idealism not learned until close to the end of this last update?))

((I don't know the specific date, but another tech or two couldn't hurt.))

EDIT: ((The actual tech was finished in June 1841, FWIW.))

Last edited:
Dear colleagues,

As a liberal I consider myself, I can understand that the government does not act on any industry, as this is the way that market can reign sovereign given the prosperity to the people of the Republic that they deserve.

But being an entrepreneur as I am I also know of the need of the state intervention in the first steps of a new industry, as the railroads are.

Me and some other investors have done a hard work trying to establish new railways in our country, but these projects will require a lot more time than what prudence advice to be fulfilled if the state does not help them through a strong politics of subsidies and focusing in the development of a clear national plan of infrastructures.

One year ago, we voted for a plan for investment on new industries in those regions with a bigger worker population or with better resources, as Bohemia or Croatia, but I think that now is the correct moment for a clear plan of rail infrastructures. The future of Germany could depend heavily on the creation of this plan.

I apply to the Head of the State Planning Commission for the creation of a clear plan for the development of the rail industry & infrastructure in Germany for the next years and I offer my expert advice and the services of my company for its development if he would need them. And I also would like to know which are the plans of Herr Meier for the industry, given that as I suspect he would probably still thinks that he can decide better that capitalist where to invest their money.

Thank you all.

((I am not sure of who is in charge of railroads, but given that UAI also can build up them I guess that maybe is not the Head of Planning Commission who decides on it))