• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Maynesss

Recruit
2 Badges
Sep 25, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
I have been playing EU4 for about 2 years or so and it has always bothered me that there is no Slovenian culture in the game. More than that, it's just Austrian, which makes it even worse. Don't get me started about how dumb the culture groups in the game are, but this is such a drastic inaccuracy to say a Slavic people group is Germanic. The whole concept of deciding cultures in 1444 is pretty ridiculous, as a result a lot of cultures are just copy pasted from the modern day. If you look at the culture of Austria one would think that Slovenians just simply popped into existence some time after the 19th century which is far from the truth. The reality is quite opposite since most of modern day Austria was once populated by Slavic peoples, the ones who got assimilated, forcefully germanized or became modern day Slovenians. Austria was multicultural, but the Germanic influence won. There is even evidence that it's name could be connected to native Slavic name for the mountain Ostravica. Slavic languages took a while to get very distinct one from another, but in the oldest writing in Slovene or any Slavic language for that matter there are already signs of a regional dialect, which would split them from other Slavic people groups. The documents are called the Freising manuscripts and were written between 972 and 1039. The period during which the subjugated Slavic peoples were being converted to catholicism. The Salzburgian archdiocese forced it's Germanic culture very strongly.

h4sdcwngn1l11.png

Yellow is the Salzburgian archdiocese, red are the modern borders

Before subjugation there were 2 Slavic principalities that we know of, 1 being Carantania and the other Carniola. Carantania came into being after Samo's Tribal Union disintegrated following his death. It had unique features regarding it's functionalities. One of these being Ustoličevanje karantanskih knezov, translated to Inauguration of the Carantian princes, prince (knez) being the ruler. This tradition was kept for hundreds of years after Carantania lost it's external and internal independence. The kosezi (a class kind of resembling nobility) would elect a knez and have this ceremony on the Prince's Stone in Slovene to confirm he would do well for the people. After subjugation the tradition remained with Germanic rulers or dukes continuing the tradition (formally), many of them completed the tradition in Slovene, until one simply responded that he didn't understand the peasant asking him questions as part of the procedure. The prince's stone got replaced with the Duke's Chair in 1414 and the tradition loosely lived on until 1728, still in Slovene. The tradition was important because it gave legal power to the ruler aswell and it was meant to assure rights to the people as it symbolized the handing of power from the farmer to the ruler. It first took place in Gosposvetsko polje (Zollfeld) and later in Celovec (Klagenfurt). The Duke's Chair was moved into the town hall in 1660 and stopped being used as a symbol of lawfulness and right to rule by Maria Theresa in 1740 because of the pragmatic sanction.

6rgugc9yv1l11.png

Krn Castle was the center of Carantania and it covered most of modern day Austria

You might be thinking, but what does this have to do with 1444. Well here is a map of the "inner provinces", which were Slovenian with Germanic peoples represented by the gray stripes. This was in the 16th century. (The tiny island of Germans in the very south is Kočevski Rog, the locals were either assimilated or forced out after WW2, some still remain)

f4xvgdvwx1l11.png

As you see that the capital of the province Koroška (Kärnten) - Celovec (Klagenfurt) was still Slovenian, aswell as atleast half of the province and this is in the 16th century. The entirety of the ingame province Graz (štajerska) is Slovenian with the exception of Gradec (Graz) itself, which was also part Slovenian.

On the image bellow you can see the proportions between Slovene (blue) and Austrian (red) in Štajerska (Styria).
3pqzbnqpz1l11.png

Mid 16th century

On the image below you can see Slovenians as red in 1910.
wc02t5r3z1l11.png

Germanic culture and their language was being enforced more aggressively during and after the reign of Maria Theresa and Franz Joseph II during the 2nd period of germanization. More and more Slovenians just decided that it is for the best to accept a Germanic identity, this is even happening today with the Slovenians that got stuck in Austria after WW2. Most Slovenians were farmers and were very devoted to the emperor. Whenever they would get taxed to heavily and they revolted in a Slovenian exclusive peasant revolts, once with Croatian peasants. The irony is that they though they emperor would send reinforcements to help them in their rightful cause, instead he obviously sent troops to stop the revolts. There were many separatist movements, one as an example is the one during the spring of nations of 1848 and it was based in Celovec (Klagenfurt).
There is no excuse to not have Slovenian culture be in the game. Slovaks, Maltese, Samis etc. to list a few that have their own cultures in the game. Nitra didn't even exist between 1444 and 1821, it stopped existing between 833 and 870 and yet it's a releasable nation and the Slovakian separatists will revolt to Nitra . The names Slovenia and Slovakia were meant to emphasize how the nations were different to their foreign rulers, many of the other cultures in EU4 didn't even exist at 1444, yet Slovenian is excluded? You can't argue it's too small, just look at Albanian, Basque, Maltese, Galician etc. Slovenian culture should have Krain (Kranjska, capital Ljubljana), Graz (Štajerska, capital Gradec), Kärnten (Koroška, capital Celovec), Gőrz (Goriška, capital Gorica) and the northern part of Istra (Istria), afterall Trieste (Trst) was Slovenian and is the capital province of Istra. Cornwall is a tag in the game, so clearly being different to the primary country is enough, yet Slovenian is excluded? Trst (Triste) was a majure trading port of Austria and it was populated with Slovenians. We have our own names for Venice (Benetke), Vienna (Dunaj) that differ hugely from the Croatian Mljeci and Beč. The closest thing to Slovenian regional names is controlling Austrian land as Croatia and Štajerska (Steiermark is upper Štajerska and Graz is lower) isn't even capitalized, it's simply shtajerska. Meanwhile the capitals of the Slovenian provinces remain in their german variant.
The Slovenian provinces were a very important part of Austria, therefore even the HRE. The rulers of Austria had to constantly think of our nation, we were under them for hundreds of years. Austria could have some interesting events related to this, but instead Slovenians are simply labeled as Austrian... I just wish that Paradox added Slovenian culture to the game and made Carniola or/and Carantania a releasable nation/releasable nations.

Upvote 0
Slovenian culture would only make sense within game, if there was a Slovenian tag (Slovenia/Carantania/Cilli/Illyrian Provinces). With cores on Krain, Kärnten, Görz, Graz, Istria, Friuli, and, I guess, Sopron (for Prekmurje). Lands where Slovenians still live even today. Adjusted accordingly, if the tag was Illyrian Provinces, which were a historic fact.

And I'd only change culture from Austrian to Slovenian in the constituent provinces if the tag was actually formed / released. Or if the provinces were conquered by a Slavic nation.

I agree with the thread. However I think giving the whole of Carinthia and Graz to Slovenia would basicly kill Austria in the early game (especialy since slovenian wouldn't be an accepted culture). I'd propose to add slovenian culture, slovenian ideas and a slovenian nation during a update on Central Europe/ the HRE/ Austria.

To make a general idea of what a austro-slovenian update would make: here's the following I propose:

-Divide the provinces of Graz(Gradec) and Carinthia(Koroška) in 2 northern and southern provinces. The southern provinces (Graz=Sud Styria/Južna Štajerska; Karnten=Carinthia/Koroška) would have the slovenian culture and the northern provinces (Graz=Norden Styria/Severna Štajerksa; Karnten=Hohe Tauern/Visoke Ture) would have the austrian culture. The border between these provinces would be the Mura river and the Drava valley.
-The provinces of Gorz(Gorica), Krain(Kranjska) and Istria(Istra) would have the slovenian culture.
-Out of all of these provinces 2 states would be made: Kransjka/Krain with provinces of Gorz/Gorica, Krain/Kranjska and Istria/Istra, and the state of Koroška/Carinthia with the provinces of Sud Styria/Južna Štajerska and Carinthia/Koroška.

-These states and provinces would have the core of a new country(can be released or can rise up in rebellion): Vojvodina Kranjska/Duchy of Carniola.
flag of the duchy.
-The country would be a monarchy that would have the rank of a duchy with it's primary culture being slovenian.
-To not nerf Austria too much, I propose that Gorz/Gorica would become an Entrepot.

PS: I'll probably make a whole thread on Slovenia and how it should be implemented in the game without hurting Austria too much.

Attachments

• oreelkr.gif
    oreelkr.gif
    28,2 KB · Views: 32
I am predicting a HRE+Italy Expansion DLC after Iberia ImmPack, if I am right Austria is going to get more detail making very probable some form of Slovenian tag. So good luck with that (I love how the name Carinthia sound :p).

But why not hurt Austria? That was the aim of Illyrian provinces, and if another power created Slovenia sooner, that would have been their aim as well.

I see no need for province division. Graz should just be renamed to Untensteiermark or Cilli. Well, you could make three provinces from Steiermark and Graz, as well, if you wanted to keep Graz.

I'd say to form Slovenia (by that or any other name), you'd have to control three of Krain, Cilli, Görz, and Kärnten, and afterwards get cores on the fourth, Istria, Friuli, Sopron, and, if it exists, Graz.

At the time of formation, those of above provinces that were included, would also receive Slovenian culture.

Finally, let me propose Slovenian province names:

Krain - Kranjska
Cilli - Štajerska
Gorz - Goriška
Kärnten - Koroška
Istria - Primorska
Friuli - Furlanija
Sopron - Prekmurje

Last edited:
Absolutely agree! My only disagreement would be giving Trieste and Istria Slovene culture, but those two are honestly very much up for debate as they have always been incredibly ethnically mixed. But otherwise I love this suggestion! I have some forthcoming suggestions for Slovenia as well, and will be sure to use this thread for ideas! :)

Something like this?

Yes, approximately.

And let me say it again, I am not certain there should be Slovenian culture at the start, I think it would be better if it only appeared when Slovenia was formed, in the provinces it was formed from.

As for Istria, as Caesar said, it was very ethnically mixed, but the interior, around Pazin, was under the Austrian, not Hungarian (Croatian) crown, and so part of the HRE. In fact, it would make sense to divide Istria into Venetian and Austrian part. Only the provinces might then be too small.

Yes, approximately.

And let me say it again, I am not certain there should be Slovenian culture at the start, I think it would be better if it only appeared when Slovenia was formed, in the provinces it was formed from.

As for Istria, as Caesar said, it was very ethnically mixed, but the interior, around Pazin, was under the Austrian, not Hungarian (Croatian) crown, and so part of the HRE. In fact, it would make sense to divide Istria into Venetian and Austrian part. Only the provinces might then be too small.

Well I did already split most of Istria between actual Istria and Trieste, while I gave the far-eastern parts to Rijeka.
I believe that's the most historically accurate way of doing things without massacring the province.

Slovenian culture should come with an Austria-rework, as it might create more hypothetically-Slovene provinces.

Wait, how about it's part of the German culture group unless Slovenia is released or a decision is given to any South Slavic country that annexes all Slovene territory to have the culture switch to South Slavic?

Wait, how about it's part of the German culture group unless Slovenia is released or a decision is given to any South Slavic country that annexes all Slovene territory to have the culture switch to South Slavic?
I'm pretty sure culture groups aren't dynamic.

You know how Manchu changes culture groups upon forming Qing?
Umm, no, it doesn't. Just tested this in game using cheats to quickly annex all the nations necessary to form Qing. Manchu culture is still in its own culture group.

Attachments

• 20181028110438_1.jpg
    20181028110438_1.jpg
    474,3 KB · Views: 46
A Slovenian tag could be Gorizia or Cili.

We should also keep in mind that Austria has never gotten a facelift before, so using the argument that Paradox doesn't care or is biased or whatsoever is useless.

Hmm, much of nothern Styria slovenic culture? Strikes me as a bit much.