• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Frymonmon

President of California
29 Badges
Jul 21, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For the Motherland
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines
y6kGTiJ.png
"The Civil War was fought in ten thousand places. From Valverde New Mexico, and Tullahoma, Tennessee. To St. Albans, Vermont and Fernandina on the Florida coast. More than three million Americans fought in it, and over six hundred thousand men, two per cent of the population, died in it. American homes became headquarters. American churches and schoolhouses sheltered the dying, and huge foraging armies swept across American farms, and burned American towns. Americans slaughtered one another wholesale, here, in America, in their own cornfields and peach orchards. Along familiar roads, and by waters with old, American names. In two days at Shiloh, on the banks of the Tennessee, more American men fell than in all previous American wars combined. At Cold Harbor, seven thousand Americans fell in twenty minutes. Men who had never strayed twenty miles from their own front doors now found themselves soldiers in great armies, fighting epic battles hundreds of miles from home. They knew they were making history, and it was the greatest adventure of their lives."

- Ken Burns "The Civil War"

While I work more on Legacy of Nations: 1975, I will be running World in Revolution: 1861 Mk. IV. Unlike Legacy of Nations, there will be stricter rules and a more concentrated game-play. This is due to this game wanting to take on a more lean nature. I am re-introducing the tiered system that has been in previous World in Revolution games. This game will have, initially, and extreme focus on the American Civil War - which starts as the centre focus of this game. For this reason, both the United States and Confederate States will be getting more orders, and more attention. The other players can operate as they would normally. However, they will not get any minis and have a smaller number of orders until the Civil War has reached a conclusion.

Updates will happen once every two weeks. Failure to maintain interest in the game, along with lack of ICs, will result in your expulsion and being banned from both 1861 and Legacy of Nations.

Chronic failure to IC and show active participation among the participants will result in the closure of the game.

You may sign up for as many nations as you wish to. The United States of America and Confederate States of America require an interview with me to be selected. There are 4 reserved slots for Tier 2 and Tier 3 nations for people who have never played in one of my World in Revolution games before*

Signups 15/12
open/CLOSED

Civil War Tier - 5 Normal Orders, Unlimited War Orders, Election Order
United States of America - MastahCheef117
Confederate States of America - Noco19

Tier 1 - 3 Normal Orders, 2 War Orders, Election Order
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - KingHigh99
Russian Empire - jacobl-Lundgren
French Empire - etranger01

Tier 2 - 2 Normal Orders, 2 War Orders, Election Order
Kingdom of Prussia - Mikkel Glahder
Ottoman Empire - KeldoniaSkylar
Kingdom of Italy - oxfordroyale
Hapsburg Empire - Cloud Strife

Tier 3 - 1 Normal Order, 1 War Order, Election Order
Brazil - Ab Ovo
United Principalities - Arrowfiend
Argentine Confederation - Rolman99
Mexico - Haresus
Greece - DutchGuy
Spain - stormbringer

Tier 4 - IC Only
Tokugawa Shogunate - Korona
Sweden & Norway - Luftwafer
All other countries (unlimited spots available)

*If I do not remember you, this counts as not having played in one of my World in Revolution games. 1861 Mk. III does not apply towards this requirement. Terms and Conditions apply. Inquire in your local store for more details. KingHigh99 gets a reserved slot for his Treatise for a National Bank in Empire of the Pacific. All other offers void where prohibited. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer. Wyoming residents not eligible for promotional offers. Product of Canada.

Last edited:
In Order

1.) Confederate States of America (Always watched, always wanted to play. It's a state that has a chance of actually coming out with a victory, but it's still a challenge unlike some of to the other GPs that feel a bit like cruising on easy street.)
2.) Kingdom of Italy (Because GLORY TO THE KINGDOM OF ITALY. Still need to make up for my failing at the end of 1920 Mk I. Also to be honest I've never played a GP from the start in a WiR.)
3.) Afghanistan as a teir 3 (Tradition for 1861. Understand if you don't want me to play it here either but I will continue my adventures to westernize it)
4.) United States of America (See the CSA above. If I don't get CSA it'd be fun to play the USA. Try to beat down the revolution. Don't think it'd be as fun as the CSA as if it wins it's back to cruising easy street but the initial war would be quite fun.)
5.) Kingdom of Bavaria as a Teir 3 Nation (Potential last minute competitor to Prussia in German Unification. Not expecting to really get far with it, but at least till the Unification of Germany occurs proper it'd still be playable.)

Last edited:
1) Rule Britannia - need to have my fun with boats
2) United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway - to tie together the first WiR 1861 and this one - can the United Kingdoms of Scandinavia be rebuilt?
3) Ottomania - Can they be as successful as the first WiR? Or will it be kebabed...
4) The Second French Empire - Must be powered by arrogance

In a particular order.

1. United Mexican States. Just out of a civil war, with a liberal Zapotec President in charge? Sounds perfect. The proximity to the War of Northern Aggression and the possibility of suddenly being invaded liberated by Emperor Maximilian and the French only makes it more exciting. Also something new that I have not tried before, always fun to learn.

2. The French Empire. With Emperor Napoleon III, there can only be glory ahead for France. I have mostly enjoyed playing as secondary (or tertiary) nations, but it would be interesting to try one of the great powers of the world for once.

3. Ottoman Empire. Because Vienna must be taken.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

I. Kingdom of Italy (Tier 2)
After centuries of foreign domination and political division, the Italian peninsula now stands (mostly) united, a young great power with much to prove. Italy has many exciting directions it could go in the years following 1861, from establishing a colonial empire, undergoing rapid industrialization and bringing Rome and Venice into the fold. I would have a blast playing and ICing as them, should I receive the privilege.

II. Empire of Brazil (Tier 3)
Helmed by the famous Pedro II and on the verge of its “golden age”, the Empire of Brazil would be an interesting nation to take on in this period. Possessing heaps of economic potential and opportunity for reform, with the right moves Brazil could easily become an emerging power on the world stage. On the other hand, the country would be forced to confront a variety challenges that could spell trouble for the monarchy and cut short its meteoric rise. Regardless of which way the wind ends up blowing, I have a certain fondness for South America and would love to play as Brazil in 1861.

III. Kingdom of Bavaria (Tier 3)
Sandwiched between the ascendant Prussia and the proud Austrian Empire, Bavaria historically managed to preserve its independence through smart diplomacy and a talent at playing the two powers against each other – that is, until it was defeated in the Austro-Prussian War and eventually joined the German Empire. However, there is reason to believe that Bavaria could have charted its own independent course under different circumstances, with its majority Catholic population and antipathy towards the Prussian and Habsburg yoke. This one is more of a long-shot, as the chances of an independent Bavaria existing for long are slim, but I think it would be fun to try anyway.

IV. Kingdom of Belgium (Tier 3)
The second country in the world after Britain to experience the industrial revolution, Belgium set the pace for modernization and development in Europe by quickly outstripping its larger neighbors in terms of factory and railroad construction. While a young nation and small, Belgium’s economy is thriving and under Leopold II (who takes the throne in 1865) they have the potential to become a colonial power. Furthermore, it has a unique cultural, linguistic and religious composition that would be fun to explore in IC. I think that Belgium could be made to go in a variety of interesting directions and would make a nice addition to the cast of player-led European countries.

C4ldR3qt.png

Last edited:
1) Empire of Brazil - For I am a true Brazilian
2) Kingdom of Portugal - For the sake of imperialism
3) Papal States - Cause deus vult

Last edited:
1. The Qing Empire:
With the Xianfeng Emperor historically dying mid-1861 and his young son the Tongzhi Emperor taking over, followed by the coup of Cixi and Ci’an, the Empire has a lot in store. If the Emperor will die remains unknown or shall he live (Like Jacob’s glorious Umberto in 1900). With the birth of the self-strengthening movement as well as the Tongzhi Restoration era, the future of the Qing Empire remains unknown, especially as the Taiping rebellion is still raging, even if it is coming closer to its conclusion. It has the potential to turn back the decline, go OTL or even collapse before its historic final day. With China on its knees it could make the most glorious recovery, shall the Meiji restoration be overshadowed by the Tongzhi restoration this time around, or decline into further corruption, fraud and reliance on opium.

I have personally always wanted to play in China, sadly whenever I got it the game ended a few turns later. It was the first nation I asked you if I could play while we chatted on teamspeak following our VIC II campaigns back in the day, its one I have repeatedly strived to get a chance at at such times when Storm quit it during the two 1920s. As such I hope I finally get the chance in one of your games to play this nation and bring it to prosperity or ruin.

2. The Russian Empire:
Always one of the nations I wanted to play, sadly Dadarian’s game ended too quickly and cut my military maneuvers short, not to mention the Crimean war. With Russia still recovering from the blow of the Crimean war and the reforms rapidly approaching, I would personally have much fun trying to see if Russia shall become liberal or if Tsar Liberator dies to assassins as OTL or even earlier and what such a future has a store in Russia, even if it’s the progress down the path of OTL to the downfall of the Romanov dynasty. As it is always one of the nations I wanted a go at but never got the chance I figured now would be a good time to see if my fortune changed.

(Edit: added)
3. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland:
Played them in both 1920 mk I and II and would be awesome to give another go at them, working to keep British influence and power rather than prevent decline, and finally playing the UK from start to finish in one of your games.

Last edited:
1. Ottoman Empire (Tier 2) - Having just emerged victorious from the Crimean War, the declining Ottomans have the potential to make a resurgence (or at the very least stabilize). Much of the Balkans are still under Ottoman control, but the nationalism of the bevy of minorities could prove to be an interesting yet challenging experience. Although I have yet to pilot a great power in a WiR, I certainly would be up to the challenge.

2. Kingdom of the Netherlands (Tier 3) - Despite its small size, the Netherlands possesses a sizable, burgeoning colonial empire. With holdings ranging from Aruba in the Caribbean to Indonesia in the Pacific, this plucky little power would be fun to guide in the beginning years of new colonialism. With Africa and Asia just asking to be exploited enlightened, as well as a rapidly changing Europe, the Netherlands could take many potential paths.

3. United Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia (Tier 3-4) - A new creation resulting from the Crimean War, the united principalities are small but make up for it with a highly nationalistic populace. Being on the outer edge of the Balkans, the Romanians are free to pick and choose their allies, allowing multiple routes of expansion and prosperity.

4. United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway (Tier 4) - While historically the time of Swedish relevance on the European stage was over by the 19th century, the age of nationalism presented an opportunity for Sweden in the form of Scandinavism. With pro-Scandinavian sentiments at their height in the mid 19th century, ICing the de-facto leader of the Scandinavian countries would be an enjoyable experience.

R6wLkKe.png

Last edited:
1. The French Empire

Never had a chance to try out France and I imagine being Napoleon III for all his faults would be quite interesting. Trying to maintain the empire would be an task with interesting consequences on the world, while even in failure, playing a successor government could be fun in its hectic nature.

2. The Confederate States of America

"Fear no danger! Shun no labor!
Lift up rifle, pike, and saber!
To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!

3. The South African Republic

Barring more prominent nations, having a minor like the SAR could add a little flavor to an otherwise quiet frontier in many games. I'd like to see if a Boer state could survive and perhaps thrive in spite of historical pressure from Britain.

1. United States of America – I fought tooth and nail as the South in mk. II and repeated the success of the first WiR in winning the Civil War. It'd be cool to play the North and, for once in WiR history, win it for the North. The Union must and shall be preserved!

2. Tokugawa Shogunate – will the Meiji Restoration occur? Will the Shogunate survive? Will Japan become properly industrialized in any case? Stay tuned to find out.

3. French Empire – will be fun to see if the monarchy can survive another 10 years (or not).

1. Russian Empire

I think I've played Russia before in these games, and I've keen to play it in this period - Crimean War, the Tsar Liberator, all that jazz. I've read extensively on 19th Russian History, including several academic courses and an undergraduate dissertation on Russian intellectual history. It's one of my favorite periods, and of nations, of hisory, so would love to play it.

2. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

As an Englishman, this is my birthright.

3. Kingdom of Italy

I have a think for Cavour and Garibaldi.

2. The Confederate States of America

"Fear no danger! Shun no labor!
Lift up rifle, pike, and saber!
To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!.

1. United States of America – I fought tooth and nail as the South in mk. II and repeated the success of the first WiR in winning the Civil War. It'd be cool to play the North and, for once in WiR history, win it for the North. The Union must and shall be preserved!

#Frys_Office anywhere between 1800 and 2000.

1. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - never got my proper chance in our cancelled 1861 incarnation to achieve the wet dreams of Lord Salisbury.
2. Republic of Transvaal - any country with a legislature called Volksraad is sufficiently badass for my tastes.
3. Kingdom of Spain - Spain requires a nice comfy injection of 99-inspired economic vigor to restore itself to Carlist greatness.

I. Kingdom of Portugal (Tier III): Besides being Portugal in the cancelled 1861 game, I have always felt like Portugal is one country that I excell at. This time period in Portuguese history is very interesting since Portugal was stable and not economically garbage (compared to say 1900). Perhaps it's former Imperial glory can be restored?

II. Republic of Argentina (Tier III): Never really played a nation outside of Europe/Africa that had stats so it would be cool to play in America. Argentina has a neat history during this time period, and I would love to emulate it.

III. Tokugawa Shogunate (Tier III): Meiji Restoration is cool and the fact that I am a total weeaboo.

1: French Empire - I love me some Napoleon III, and France has amazing potential, assuming of course it can halt the rise of Prussia; with a powerful army and the first ironclad, as well as Napoleon’s natural adventurism, France has the population, military, and economic base to play a role in the Civil War, in Mexico (as it did historically), and could radically change the course of continental history. What’s not to love?

2: Russian Empire – Similar to France, Russia is in an interesting position; having been sullied by the Crimean War, and on the cusp of abolishing serfdom, Russia is in flux, and it’d be intriguing to see what could happen there.

3: Brazilian Empire – Pedro II is great; what else do I need to say? With the capability of being the premier power of South America, and with potential wars against Uruguay and Paraguay on the horizon, handling slavery and preserving the monarchy sound like interesting challenges.

1. Hapsburg Empire
An increasingly precarious major power in Europe, trying to hold sway over numerous nationalities, while containing the ambitions of Prussia and Italy. Depending on success and failure in said containment, many interesting possibilities await the Empire, both domestically and abroad.

2. Republic of Paraguay
A disproportionately powerful and influential nation in South America, with arguably the strongest army in the continent. Whether this leads to massive overconfidence and devastation like OTL, or some ahistorical longevity and dominance would be an interesting challenge.

3. Kingdom of Greece
Because the Balkans is always a source of potential conflict and proxy battles, which I've long held an interest in.

Russia is my preferred choice, but either Sweden-Norway or Shogunate Japan are okay as well.

The Russian Empire

With Tsar Alexander II at the helm of the largest contiguous empire in the world, Russia would be a blast to play as in this game. It'd be fun enacting all of the Liberator's signature reforms and juggling the various factions within the Russian Empire as the country goes through a crucial point in it's history. The country would be a fascinating state to play as, and I'd love to see how I fare, could I liberalize Russia, or will the Romanovs fall regardless.

2. The United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway

Not gonna lie, the idea of Scandinavia is incredibly appealing to me, and it would be a blast to forge a Nordic state, especially with Charles XV and IV being one of Sweden-Norway's most popular monarchs. With a nationalistic Prussia, who's to say that Wilhelm's nationalistic vigor won't spill over to Sweden and Norway?

3. The Tokugawa Shogunate

The twilight years of the Tokugawa Shogunate would be incredibly fun to navigate through, with the country pushing for even more isolation, just as foreigners are starting to come to the Land of the Rising Sun in droves. Dealing with an uppity Emperor, foreign bombardments, and the final years of the Shogun would be a blast.