Sector AI in 2.0.2 - "respect tile resources" broken

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ciuly

Corporal
14 Badges
Sep 18, 2017
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
As the title says, the sector AI does NOT respect the tile resources. Please revert it back to the 1.9 version when it didn't put energy buildings on mineral bonus tiles and vice versa. It wasn't helping much but at least it wasn't working against the player.

As the title says, the sector AI does NOT respect the tile resources. Please revert it back to the 1.9 version when it didn't put energy buildings on mineral bonus tiles and vice versa. It wasn't helping much but at least it wasn't working against the player.
Could you give some more information?

It might override some rules if it really needs energy (to avoid a shortage). Or it might ignore bonus Minerals, if it is already near the cap.

I only check the "respect tile resources" and leave everything else unchecked, focus on balance. I gave the sector (4 new planets) around 2k each of energy and minerals. I did check on them from time to time and build things (clear tile blockers, build pop) but I didn't notice anything at first.
But, because I'm playing a DA machine empire, I have specialized robots for each resource and I que robots for all the tiles after clearing the tile blockers according to tile resources. I only build 2 buildings before getting to 5 pops (for growth and unity). The AI usually builds some level 1 buildings until I get to 5 pop because reason.

For example on a planet I have like 5 energy tiles , 5 mineral and 5 research. Because the sector AI likes to move the pop around non stop I wait for all the robots to be build and than put them on the right tiles. But, now I have 8 mineral buildings, 5 science and 2 energy so it doesn't add up. I check every tile and there are mineral (in this example) buildings on energy tiles.

This should not happen regardless of the shortages or whatever, at least in theory. That's why that damn check is there. It used to work like that, now it doesn't, at least for me. I don't use any mods.

Not really, it was on deficit for a long time. Did they announced in the patch notes anything about sector AI changes? I didn't notice anything but maybe I missed it.

The first rule of sectors is sectors are incompetent, do not let them do anything.
The second rule of sectors is sectors are incompetent, do not let them do anything.
The third rule of sectors is sectors are incompetent, do not let them do anything.
The 1 millionth rule of sectors is sectors are incompetent, do not let them do anything.

Yeah I know, but I'm testing wide on 2.0 and I need the damn sectors. Before, with that check, I could at least limit the damage. Now not even that is reliable.

Not really, it was on deficit for a long time. Did they announced in the patch notes anything about sector AI changes? I didn't notice anything but maybe I missed it.
Not being in Deficit is just common sense for every AI.
Not being able to react being in deficit would truly be a sign of Incompetence.

Heck, most of the bugs (like AI being stuck in starvation) are based on the AI not being able to get out of a Deficit.

For example on a planet I have like 5 energy tiles , 5 mineral and 5 research. Because the sector AI likes to move the pop around non stop I wait for all the robots to be build and than put them on the right tiles. But, now I have 8 mineral buildings, 5 science and 2 energy so it doesn't add up. I check every tile and there are mineral (in this example) buildings on energy tiles.
How big were those bonuses? Because 1 is close to nothing.

I needed some time get my head around that a "1" bonus should not dictate what to build on a tile. It is not big enough of a bonus to really mater.
A 2 or 3 tile should mater. But even there are exceptions (like a non-Science building benefiting from Capitol Adjacency bonuses).

As for using Robots that way (different for different Resources):
While it is possible, it certainly seems not intended. The whole Trait Cost balance breaks down if you can get the perfect trait for every tile. I used to do it too, but in the end I noticed that it is just more trouble then it is worth. Having just 1-2 types of pops is way enough detail.

I have also noticed an issue with the Sector AI not respecting tile resources, even though it is set to do so. The example I noticed was that it built a fortress on a food tile, then replaced it with a farm, then switched back to fortress. It repeated this several times before I told it to stop redevelopment. I've also noticed the sector AI build fortresses on other resource tiles, not just food. It seems that the new fortress buildings are not being factored into the "respect tile resources" formula. Now I try building up a planet myself before putting it into a sector to make sure the tile resources are respected.

Last edited: