• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mihao88

Private
51 Badges
Oct 22, 2015
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
Hi guys,

I've bought the EU4 with all six major DLCs (and some graphic ones included) recently. I have the following problem: short after starting a game or even during EU4 loading (with MEIOU Collection mods), the game always crashes to Windows with Runtime error. Sometimes it crashes with Runtime error and "unexpected error" or no error message at all.

My computer is Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15 (IntelCore i5 CPU M 450 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM - 2.49 usable) - quite old but seems it meets recommended requirements (according to Steam: 2.4 GHz processor, 2GB RAM) - with Windows 7 32-bit.

Hi guys,

I've bought the EU4 with all six major DLCs (and some graphic ones included) recently. I have the following problem: short after starting a game or even during EU4 loading (with MEIOU Collection mods), the game always crashes to Windows with Runtime error. Sometimes it crashes with Runtime error and "unexpected error" or no error message at all.

My computer is Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15 (IntelCore i5 CPU M 450 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM - 2.49 usable) - quite old but seems it meets recommended requirements (according to Steam: 2.4 GHz processor, 2GB RAM) - with Windows 7 32-bit.

Have you tried uninstalling MEIOU completely (unsubscribing and deleting all local content) and running the game without any mods?

If only 2.49 GB of RAM is usable and you tried to run it with MEIOU, mmm. Kind of sounds like what happened to me when I only had 2 GB of RAM. Trying to run to large mods would cause the game to crash before it could finish loading. And even then, EU4 might not run Smoothly, and it would lag like hell with MEIOU.

What you could try to do is go to C:\Users\USER\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV and look for settings.txt, and then change the option of 'refreshRate' from 60 to 40. Should both make the game run smoother, and possibly enable you to run the game with large mods like MEIOU and Extended Timeline.

Thanks for your replies.

After using the following tip from https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/windows-7-eu-iv-runtime-error.880420/ I can play MEIOU for some time, but game still crashes irregularly yet frequently.
1: Open Command Prompt (it's in Accessories in Vista)
2: Set it to be in Admin mode http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx
3: Paste this in: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560
4: Restart
5: If you ever need to undo: BCDEdit /deletevalue increaseuserva

I also turned off almost all visual effects.

ou tried uninstalling MEIOU completely (unsubscribing and deleting all local content) and running the game without any mods?

Yes, before installing MEIOU, in vanilla I could play for a few minutes.
I reinstalled the game, after full clean-up, several times and updated everything I could (.NET-something, graphic drivers, Windows).

If only 2.49 GB of RAM is usable and you tried to run it with MEIOU, mmm. Kind of sounds like what happened to me when I only had 2 GB of RAM. Trying to run to large mods would cause the game to crash before it could finish loading. And even then, EU4 might not run Smoothly, and it would lag like hell with MEIOU.

What you could try to do is go to C:\Users\USER\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV and look for settings.txt, and then change the option of 'refreshRate' from 60 to 40. Should both make the game run smoother, and possibly enable you to run the game with large mods like MEIOU and Extended Timeline.

Thanks a lot!
After using the above tip with increaseuserva, I can load the game with MEIOU and it runs very smoothly, but still crashes, irregularly yet frequently - most often when I'm trying to exit to the menu or save the game (by the way, my another problem is that saves are in EU4 Steam file, but aren't in the game menu).

Unfortunately nothing has changed after I changed the refresh rate to 40 (however, in the menu I still have 60, despite that I did make and save the change - in Settings file in Steam's EU4 folder, I found no other such file).

Huh, in the steam folder? Like the one in the Program Files folder? Never heard of the saves and settings being stored there before. Usually it's all at the Documents.

Huh, in the steam folder? Like the one in the Program Files folder? Never heard of the saves and settings being stored there before. Usually it's all at the Documents.

Sorry, mistake, it is indeed in Documents folder (but most of game files are in Steam folder, I don't understand why it's not all in one place).

You should post this problem on the tech support forum. However as you mention the game making save files, but not showing in menu sounds a lot like a problem I had when 1.12 came out, where the game would just make blank save files. It's a RAM related problem.

Well, if I may make a general suggestion, you should probably upgrade your windows OS to 64 bit sometime so you can use your full 4 gig of RAM.

Thanks a lot. Seems it's not something what I can do just by installing Windows Updates? No way to solve the problem on my computer in the current state?

Honestly no idea. A Dev or Paradox tech support might be able to give better advice on what to do though, so since you registered your game, posting in the tech support part of the forum would make it easier for them to see your plight. Who knows, perhaps there is an alternative solution. But yah, sorry that I was unable to give you more solid advice.

Honestly no idea. A Dev or Paradox tech support might be able to give better advice on what to do though, so since you registered your game, posting in the tech support part of the forum would make it easier for them to see your plight. Who knows, perhaps there is an alternative solution. But yah, sorry that I was unable to give you more solid advice.

You did help me a lot, thanks!