• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DumBMan

Prince of Persia
6 Badges
May 17, 2011
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
Roar of the Red Lion

bc7d1152cfd4ef65319d2ecc6647991d

Introduction

Good day everyone, and welcome to this AAR of mine. I would like to thank you for taking your time to read this pile of words. First of all, this isn't my first AAR and I'm proud to say that I have experience in this even though most of my AARs were short-lived.
Also, I would like to thank Henry V. Keiper for I've made a decision to return to the Crusader Kings 2 aars because of his Valyrian Steel: a Game of Thrones AAR. Sometimes I really think that this sly dog is George Martin himself in disguise.
As for my configuration, except for aGoT mod, I will be using most of the expansions except for the Aztec invasion expansion.

Anyway, there are few factors which made me to choose aGoT mod for this aar. First of all, George's fictional universe is my favorite of all time. Second, aGoT mod is the best mod for CK2 and if you ask me, it brings the best out of the game. And last but not least, I have a pretty interesting idea for this aar in my mind.

If you ask yourselves which house I'm going to play, after some thinking, I decided to play House Reyne in 275 AC. Maybe you wonder how are there living Reynes in 275 AC? The truth is, I made this Reyne character myself and now he is the last living Reyne in the whole universe. I've made a little backstory where the last living Reyne somehow got to rule small island of Wreckstone which itself is part of Stepstones and his first aim is to end ongoing piracy on the Stepstones and try to create an organized island country. But his main goal will be to restore the House Reyne to it's former glory. That part is pretty cliche if you ask me, right? ;)

You may ask yourselves why I chose house Reyne. Partially, I chose it because, overall, I love restoring former powerhouses to their glory. Second, House Reyne is one of my favorite houses in Game of Thrones universe. My character in Mount and Blade mod Clash of King was also Reyne and that further motivated me with this aar. I've also seen a lot of other aars with this house, but that didn't stop me with making this one, especially since I didn't see anyone start anything like this.​

Enough about this, I'm sure you are impatient to start reading the first chapter of this aar (or are you?), so please forgive me for taking this long to start. :oops:

But before we start, I've made several house rules for myself, which are:
1. There won't be save spamming (where's the fun in that?).
2. Cheating will be limited only for roleplay purposes.
3. World domination is not my goal, nor is the Iron Throne. My goal is to take Castamere back under Reyne banner and restore it. Afterwards, if it's interesting, I'll go on.
4. Lannisters are worst enemies to Reyne, but that doesn't mean they'll receive the treatment Reynes received during their revolt, which means I definitely won't try to end their line, but who knows, that may happen and it depends on the trait of my character.
5. I'll try to have as much fun as I can while playing and writing this, and I hope you'll have fun too.​
First chapter will be posted hopefully tonight, it all depends on my free time.
I really that you will enjoy what you read in my aar and that it will be fun for you.
Cheers, my friends. And Valar Morghulis.

Table of Contents

Book One - Red Lion of Stepstones

Chapter 1 - Roger
Chapter 2 - Roger
Chapter 3 - Rupert
Chapter 4 - Davos
Chapter 5 - Elys
Chapter 6 - Roger
Chapter 7 - Cersei
Chapter 8 - Davos

Last edited:
Book One - Red Lion of Stepstones

Chapter 1 - Roger

Grim clouds covered the sky and the sunlight struggling to find it's way through those dark shapes. It looked as if the rainstorm would start any second. It was indeed a dangerous time to be at the sea in these conditions. Hard waves crushed against the hull of the Assault covered in barnacles and other marine growth as it sailed through the Narrow Sea. It's white sails were carried by the strong wind blowing towards the islands Assault was sailing to. One could see that the sails were patched at several places after being pierced by arrows in numerous battles longship participated in. Just few days ago, above the white sail was the black pirate flag. It was torn off after the longship was seized from the pirates.
700px-Suicide_raider_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

On a deck of the Assault, tall young man stood and gazed upon the islands in front of him. His ginger hair was carried by the wind making various shapes around his head. He wore white tunic shirt with a red sash tied around his waist where his sword was sheathed, and a brown pants with boots that were tied up in the middle all the way up to the knees.

8RoUuMv.png

With his sea blue eyes, Roger gazed upon the island which was known in these waters as the Wreckstone. It earned it's name by the dozens if not hundreds of shipwrecks that laid there in the water around it. Island itself wasn't that big and it consisted only of few caves which were most of the time used as a pirate dens. Shipwrecks seemingly doubled the size of island. When sailing towards the island, especially at night, one must be careful, as for many souls were lost because of negligent captains.

As the longship approached the island, finding it's way around many shipwrecks whose hulls, masts and numerous other parts peaked above the surface of the water, and their rotted parts slowly crumbling with each passing day. There was a certain path that led towards the entrance to the cave that could be called the main cave on the island, which was used as a hideout for pirates of these waters. That path was clear with the shipwrecks on the both sides that marked the borders of the path. It looked as if someone put those shipwrecks there intentionally, just for the purpose of making a path to the cave.

Roger's lips slowly curved upwards, forming a smile, as his longship entered the large cave and the darkness within. In the depths of the cave, Roger heard the the shouts and screams, along the sound of clashing metal marking that the battle has not yet ended. He was satisfied. It seemed that his men successfully attacked the cove. Roger's men invaded the cave nearly a day ago, when a first ray of light found it's way through the sky, marking dawn. Rupert, Roger's right hand man, led these men in assault to drive out the pirates from the island. As for why Roger himself didn't join the attack, he had another task to do. He intercepted the Assault in the morning with a merchant ship. He lured it's former captain, Khorane Quanis who is also a leader of the pirates in the caves of Wreckstone, right into a trap. Khorane was fooled with the thought that merchant ship had no manpower, and he attacked it recklessly. Fierce fighting followed, which ended with the duel between Khorane himself and Roger. Khorane was a clumsy fighter, and Roger defeated him with ease and put him to chain, imprisoning what's left of his men and seizing his flagship.

HfyX89S.png

Reaching the hideout of the pirates and anchoring at the small dock, Roger left the ship and moved inwards in the hideout, followed by his bodyguards. Apparently, there were several gaps on the ceiling of the cave, providing it with the light it lacks at the entrance. But still, torch were the best source of the light placed in every corner of the hideout. Roger was actually amazed how these pirates made these hideouts. They were bigger than some villages, but still not towns. What amazed him the most is that these pirates actually managed to run economy here. Buildings with the shop sign at the entrance could be spotted at several places. Roger could see a tavern or two as he walked through the hideout. Cottages were stuffed everywhere without any order, but that didn't bother Roger. He didn't care about the visuals of this hideout. What matters to him is that it will be put to a good use and prove useful for him and his men.

miao-room-cave-village-china-fb2.png

Corpses of both pirates and his men were scattered around the streets of the Wreckstone. Judging from number of pirate corpses, it looked like they didn't put up a good resistance. Roger was followed by twenty men as he made his way forward to the heart of the hideout. As they approached it, the sounds of battle were louder and louder. The heart of the hideout was something that looked like a keep, a large two story building made of wood with two towers that stood tall at the both sides of the building. Dozens of Roger's men waited outside and greeted him as he approached it. Upon entering it, he spotted Rupert and his men finishing the pirates inside, taking their lives with swift swings of the their blades. Some of the pirates tried their luck with pleading for their lives, but in vain. Their lives were ended with a cold metal.

Bald Rupert swinged maddly at the pirate in front of him, nearly taking his head off in one swing. Lifeless pirate fell on the knees after which his body fell on the back with a thud as the circle of red fluid was formed slowly around him, widening and widening with every moment. Rupert breathed heavily as he watched down at the lifeless piece of meat under him. Then, he raised his look towards the doors.

''There you are!'', Rupert exclaimed as he spotted Roger approaching him, raising his sword arm high. ''I was afraid you weren't going to make it here.''

Roger smiled to warrior as he walked over to his friend and nodded to him as a greeting ''It seems as if you underestimate my abilities, Rupert.''

Rupert laughed, and his bald head shined on the light which made Roger chuckle. ''Pleace accept my apologies, oh my lord.'', baldie mocked, to which Roger frowned.

tUJn6vZ.png

''Their flagship is seized and captain in chains. Their fleet is now under our command.'', Roger informed in a serious tone ''I presume this is the last of them?''

Rupert nodded and confirmed ''Aye. No prisoners, just like you said.''

''Good. We'll have to clean up this place. It's a mess. After all, it will be our base of operations.'', Roger stated as he looked around himself at the corpses lying all around him. ''How many men did we lose in this skirmish?'', he asked then.

Rupert sighed and scratched the skin where his hair once was as if he was counting something ''Not much I think. About fifty men at most. We took them by surprise. There was at least hundred of them here.''

Roger nodded, satisfied with answer ''Very good. Let's go and carry on with the conversation elsewhere. I don't like the smell here.''

Baldie frowned ''You're right. Let's go to the tavern just outside. From what I've seen, there were at least dozens of barrels with ale stored behind the bar.''

This information brought wide smile on Roger's face. ''Excellent. We should celebrate this victory and mark this night.''

Rupert raised his hands and cheered on that. Two of them then walked outside where Roger's men already started clearing out the area of corpses. They were gathering them at one large pile where they will burn them. Roger ordered for the bodies not to be thrown in the water, for the blood will draw sharks.

''What's our next move?'', Ruper asked after the two of them sat in the tavern with kegs of ale already in their hands.

Roger scanned the question. ''Our next move?'', he repeated the question himself ''Our next move is to get drunk and find women for ourselves right now and right here!'', he exclaimed and raised his keg so everyone present could see. Cheering of the men followed and soon everyone was shouting ''Roger! Roger! Roger!''.
The question is where are we going to find women here, Roger thought after his speech.

Cheering stopped at last. Roger was proud of his men. After all, he was idolised by them. And with a good reason. He deserved their respect. For everything he has done for them. Most of them were former slaves he freed while fighting in Disputed Lands. Some of them were refugees that lost everything. And some joined just for fortune, but that turned into something else over time, something else which all these men had in common. All of them were loyal to Roger. But few knew of his true motive. Few knew of his heritage. He wasn't just ordinary man. He was Roger Reyne of Castamere, the last living member of his House. And he will change the history.

xxx

Author:s note: I hope you like this premise. I definitely had fun writing it, and I certainly hope you will have fun reading it. Cheers, mates!

Last edited:
From the gutter what will rise ...

Chapter 2 - Roger

They say that great storms which begin in Summer Sea go north and slam into the Durran's Point, a promonotory where Storm's End is built. Old stories say that the daughter of sea god, Elenei herself built the great castle with magic.

Just right now, Assault is suffering through these waters as great storm ravaged Narrow Sea. Longship struggled to keep the course, as the great storm threatened to sink the ship. Lightnings strikes threatened from the above while great waves seeked to turn the longship upside down. Roger cursed to himself as they were just few miles away from the Storm's End, their destination.

If this storm ends up sinking my ship in the end, I'll strangle the storm god with my own two hands,
Roger thought angrily and frowned. They already lost three men in this storm, three good men, if not one of the best.

For several hours, they suffered through the storm, but in the end, just like with every storm, it passed. Skies slowly cleared letting the rays of sunlight to pass through them. Narrow Sea calmed down, and dangerous waves were no more. Roger was standing on the deck of his ship and gazed at the promonotry in front of him, Durran's Point. It looked so threatening in the distance, with it's black cliffs where there was no safe place for anchorage. One would have to sail all around it for a safe dock.

''I presume we are nearing the end of this expedition?'', asked Davos, who appeared out of nowhere and startled Roger for a moment, in his brown robes with a heavy metal chain hanging around his neck.

''We are almost there, maester. You can see our destination from here, on that promontory.'', Roger stated and pointed his finger towards the fortress that could be seen on the top of the promonotory ''You see that? That's where we are headed.''

Davos narrowed his eyes until they looked like two thin lines to help him see better and nodded ''I see, my lord.''

''Storm's End. It's magnificent, is it not?''

''It is, my lord. It's very magnificent.'', maester answered the question. ''Your bride-to-be is living there, judging from my reports.''

''Good, I am eager to meet her.'', replied Roger and left the deck, proceeding to his cabin to prepare himself for the meeting.

Roger's destination, Storm's End was a castle which was never conquered in any siege. In the old times, when the Andals arrived at Westeros, they laid a siege to Storm's End seven times, failing each time. House of Storm Kings, house Durrandon, had an impregnable fortress as their seat, which they lost during the Last Storm in Aegon's Conquest. Orys, founder of house Baratheon, defeated Argillac the Arrogant in the open field and took Storm's End for himself, ending the Durrandon line and founding the house Baratheon.

After's they've anchored in a small village to the south of Durran's Point, most of Roger's party found themselves at the nearby tavern. However, Roger's most trusted men, about ten of them among which were maester Davos and his right-hand man Rupert, accompanied him to the Storm's End. Lord of Wreckstone and Rupert rented horses as they preferred not to walk the distance uphill to the castle. Seeing the fortress in close, it was such as sight to see. Upon entering the Storm's End itself, Roger found himself gazing upon the tall walls and towers of the ancient fortress. From the ground, they looked so tall and threatening, and almost as if they are reaching the sky itself.

As party proceeded deeper into the castle through crowded street where dozens of stands could be seen with people selling food and yelling ''Fresh fish!'', a keep where Baratheons lived could be seen in the distance, it's entrance guarded by heavy armored guards with heavy halberds in their arms. Keep wasn't Roger's destination, though. It was a fenced large three story house just next to keep's walls. From the exterior, one could easily recognise that it's the house of either a nobleman or a wealthy merchant. It's walls were built from white stone presumably from the Vale. It had six windows on the front side both on the first and second floor. Upon approaching the small open gates on his horse, Roger was approached by a man in a light leather armor and a sword sheathed on his hip.

''Is this this a residence of ser Colen Wesington, or am I at the wrong place?'', Roger asked from horseback, looking down at the guard.

''Ya ain't wrong, m' lord. This is the right place.''

Roger nodded and unmounted his horse, handing the reins over to the guard, who made a confused face. Rupert did the same, thus confusing the guard even more.

''In case you don't understand, take our horses to the stables and make sure they are taken care of.'', Roger explained to the stupid guard to which he replied with just a quick nods.

''Rupert, Davos, follow me. The rest of you, wait here.'', Roger ordered and proceeded to walk through the gate without waiting for reply. Two men followed him right afterwards. The walked through the neat yard, walking around the fountain built in the center of the garden. Crowned stag of a house Baratheon was built as a statue on the fountain.

''You surely like ordering around.'', Rupert mocked with a smile, elbowing Roger in the ribs.

Roger chuckled at this comment, ''One of the privileges of being a lord.''

They stopped in front of a large two winged wooden door before they were opened by a two servants from inside. As they entered the house, they were welcomed by ser Colen himself, who awaited for them in his armor just inside the house. Black haired young man approached them with smile as they entered through the doors.

''Lord Roger, I welcome you to my humble residence.'', ser Colen welcomed with a smile still on his face and bowed his head. ''At first I wasn't sure it was you, but that red hair gave it away. Maester Davos described you well with that letter he sent me few weeks ago.''

VptG66K.png

''Thank you for the warm welcome, my lord.'', Roger replied with a slight smile ''Quite a property you've got here.''

Colen laughed at the comment ''Well, thank you, my lord. I presume you're eager to meet my sister?''

''That I am.''

''Very good. She'll be her in a few moments. Let's take a seat and have a drink, shall we?''

After serving guests with a drink, Colen went on to ask ''Would you care enough to tell me more about yourself, lord Roger? I would like to know more about a man I'm giving my sister to.''

Roger took a sip of red wine from silver goblet, staring at the red fluid before looking up to meet Colen's eyes. ''I am master of Wreckstone with a goal to end piracy on Stepstones and establish a safe life for people there. I command several hundreds men and pirate lords are already fearing me. One island has already been liberated and pirates either killed in combat or executed. What else should I say?'', Roger stopped for a second to think, while Colen watched with a surprised face ''Ah, yes. I need gold to provide my armies. And that would be it, my lord.'', Roger finished with a grin.

''That is...'', Colen started in insecure voice ''...such a noble goal, my lord. Even though I'm not sure that pirates will ever be purged from Stepstones, I wish you best of luck in your endeavour.''

Roger nodded to this with lips curled upwards, taking another sip from the goblet.

Just give me the gold I need, Roger thought as this marriage was easiest way to get gold and an only reason Roger decided to marry Eglantine Wensington. Colen was a rich man and will surely provide him with the gold he needs. Man's face was pale. After all, with a good reason. In the letter he recieved, Davos described Roger as a noble knight from a rich family, which probably resulted in Colen's expectations being high.

''Err...'', ser Colen said after some time ''...I'm going to get my sister.''

It was at this time when Colen left that Rupert dared to ask ''What if this marriage falls into water?''

''It won't.'', Roger replied

It was funny how Rupert's bald head always shined on even little light. It was as if he was polishing his head every morning, more than a knight polishes his armor. ''You can marry any other woman you want, why do you want to marry a woman of noble heritage?'', Rupert asked another question

''I'll get gold. That's the sole reason.'', Roger came with a reply ''And I need that gold to provide my army.''

Rupert nodded his head ''I see. That's good enough reason, I suppose.''

After some time, ser Colen returned, and behind him, followed a woman of average weight, wearing a green dress. Her brown wavy her fell down her waist and moved in waves as she walked behind her brother. Eglantine's blue eyes scanned three men sitting at the table, but mostly Roger, who stood up upon her arrival.

''Lord Roger, this is my sister, Eglantine Wesington.'', Colen presented her sister as he placed his hand on her shoulder. ''She's beautiful, isn't she?''

She's not really beautiful, but not ugly either, came thought to Roger's mind as he examined his bride. ''A wonderful woman, if I may say.'', Roger complimented and approached Eglantine, taking her hand to kiss it. ''I am Roger Reyne, my lady.''

Eglantine blushed and turned her head away, embarassed. Just like most of the maidens. Roger was quite an attractive man, something which boosted his ego quite much.

XeiHJXf.png

''..Reyne, huh?'', Colen asked with his eyes widened. Roger raised an eyebrow. ''Apologies, my lord. I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that it is hard to believe there are still living Reynes, after that incident with the Lannisters, my lord.''

''That wasn't an incident, ser Colen.'', Roger replied in a serious tone ''It was just an unexpected turn of events.''

''Y-yes, of course.'', ser replied.

What a bloody coward, Roger thought about Colen. And yet, spineless cowards like him are knights of the realm.

Roger then swiftly turned around and walked over to the table, taking his silver goblet and raised it high in the air ''We should celebrate, gentlmen.'', Roger exclaimed, looking at everyone present in the room ''For the union of houses Reyne and Wensington!''

Rupert cheered on it, raising his cup high in the air while maester Davos simply said cheers. Colen just smiled at this awkwardly while raising his goblet. Lady Eglantine gave Roger an embarassed smile, to which Roger replied her with a grin. ''To my future wife, lady Eglantine.'', he dedicated the last of the wine in the goblet to his bride and drank it all in one large gulp.

Few days later, marriage was held in the sept in Storm's End. It wasn't anything particulary special. Guests that attented the wedding were friends of house Wensington and members of the house Wensington as well and men that traveled to Storm's End with Roger. After the wedding in sept was over, a modest feast was prepared for the guest at ser Colen's property. Roger actually enjoyed it pretty much, even though he spent most of the time with Rupert drinking and talking about old times they spent in Essos fighting wars for the sellsword companies and women they laid with. And then, it was time for bedding. And old tradition which Roger was very fond of.

Roger sat on the bed of his bedroom, waiting for Eglantine. It was quite hot from all the liquor he drank with Rupert, so he took his shirt off and waited for his wife shirtless. He decided not to be rough on her as it was her first time. He'll be gentle, just like with every other woman.

The only source of light in the room was one candle on a small table next to he bed. Roger stared at it with many thoughts coming to his mind. Thoughts about his war with the pirates, his marriage, and his family. Family which he lost, as they were brutally murdered on that certain day.

Light engulfed the room as the doors opened and revealed young woman standing on the doorstep. Roger looked away from the candle and recognized the woman as his wife. Eglantine stepped inside and slowly closed the doors. She made careful steps towards Roger as if she was afraid of him. When Roger stood up, she stood in her place frozen. Roger approached her carefully but she looked as if she would turn around and escape any moment. Eglantine widened her eyes after Roger placed his palm on her cheek.

''Don't worry, my lady. I'll be gentle with you.'', Roger said after which Eglantine made a face of relief.

In the end, Roger gave her enough time to get ready for the bedding. He didn't want to force anything. It took Eglantine some time to get relaxed, but lord Reyne was patient and gentle. And at last, it began as the light of the candle was no more.

xxx

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-25_12-51-9.png
    upload_2017-6-25_12-51-9.png
    513,7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I am left not sure if he values his new bride or not, I must confess. Maybe he doesn't know either.

I am left not sure if he values his new bride or not, I must confess. Maybe he doesn't know either.

It's just that Roger respects women, even though he doesn't care much about Eglantine who he married just for gold. I understand that my writing can be confusing sometimes, but I'm doing my best to improve. :)

Subbed !
House Reyne must rise once more... And destroy the Lannister Scourge !
Look forward to seeing where this leads !

Thank you, my friend! It's great to see that more people are reading this, it boosts my confidence!
As for our house Lannisters, they should brace themselves. Reynes will indeed prove to be a thorn in the eye for them. ;)

Chapter 3 - Rupert

''It's all set. Bloodstone is our next target.'', lord of Wreckstone ordered, pointing his finger on the largest shape on the small parchemnt map with nine islands. Map was rugged and old, at it was obvious it was just a torn off piece of a larger map.

Men present, ten of them, commanders in Roger's army, nodded their heads in approval. Roger's right hand man, Rupert the Baldie, was among them. They gathered in the keep to discuss their next move in their quest to end piracy on Stepstones. After conquest of Wreckstone, they didn't have time to rest. Instead, they carried on with preparations for the next attack. So far, Roger didn't announce his quest to end piracy openly to the world. It is because other pirate lords of the Stepstones took them only for another pirate crew, and they could use this as an advantage. Others underestimated them and this was their biggest advantage.

''You're telling us we're going for the biggest fish straight away?'', Rupert asked, stroking his chin as he gazed upon the map placed on the center of the round table where the men gathered.

''Exactly.'', Roger confirmed ''It's a risky move, but if we take Roro Vunatis down, we'll finally make other pirates recognize our presence.''

''From what I know..'', Rupert continued, still stroking his chin and gazing absently upon the map before suddenly looking up to meet Roger's eyes ''..Roro Vunatis is the most notorious and vicious pirate lord in these waters. He possesess hundreds of slaves working for him and over a thousand men.''

UoT5xdG.png

Pirate lord Roro Vunatis

Roger smiled ''That's true. He has hundreds of slaves. Those slaves are inhabitants of Bloodstone. They will help us take the pirate lord out.''

''Why would they help us?'', one of the soldiers asked.

''What would you choose?'', Roger asked him ''To spend rest of your life a slave or life your life as a free man?''

''To be a free man.''

''There's the answer to your question.'', Roger said with a smile and leaned on a table, looking at each man present, stopping at bald Rupert ''I've made a plan. We'll storm the southernmost coastline of Bloodstone with all our forces. I've already sent scouts as you already know, and they will be back any moment with reports.''

''Why the southernmost coast?'', another one of soldiers asked.

''That's where the largest village on the Bloodstone is. It will provide us with largest number of men for the assault.''

Rupert nodded and smirked. Good plan, lordling. You impress, as always. ''When are we going to execute this plan?'', baldie asked.

''We will start with preparations as soon as scouts come back.''

xxx
Scouts returned soon afterwards with their reports. Roger and Rupert learned that even though Roro Vunatis is the most powerful pirate lord of the Stepstones, his pirate army was unorganized, just like with the rest of pirate lords on the Stepstones. Scouts managed to even get on the Bloodstone and get in touch with the locals. They let them know that rescue is coming and that their support is needed. Slaves promised their support in exchange for one thing, which was of course freedom. And freedom they shall get.

Next two days were spent in preparations for the attack. His soldiers were armed to teeth, considering there were seven hundreds of them while they had as twice as much weapons at their disposal, taken during conquest of Wrecksotne. Roger's liberation fleet consisted of twenty longships, but not all of them would be used for the attack, only half of that number. On the dawn of third day, when Bloodstone liberation army was well rested, well fed and armed, Roger Reyne sailed to war.

Rupert stood on the deck of Assault enjoying the sea breeze. It was getting colder as the sun slowly set in the west on the second day of the voyage. From Rupert's perspective, it seemed as if the sun was sinking into the sea. It was quite a sight, a sunset in the Narrow Sea, with Bloodstone visible as a small black dot in the distance. Rupert lips curved upwards into a wide smile. Calm before a storm. He enjoyed moments like this, knowing that within a day, he would be battling pirates, killing them with his own hand, freeing innocent people.
Justice, Rupert thought absently Justice shall be served.

Rupert always yearned for a life like this. A life full of adventure, an exciting life. Before he met Roger few years back in Volantis, he lived quite a monotone life, a life of a blacksmith. Forging steel all day wasn't exciting and rewarding for him. A Westerosi like Rupert couldn't find fortune in Volantis. When he met Roger, he immediately knew that with that man, he'll reach heigths. And when Roger told him of his heritage, Rupert knew that he met a man that will put his name in the annals of history.

''Are you afraid?'', lord of Wreckstone asked from behind, as he approached Rupert. Roger had wrapped a brown cloak around himself, as the wind became colder as the night went on. His red hair was carried by the wind as he looked upon dot that was Bloodstone with his dark blue eyes.

''No.'', Rupert replied simply.

''You are a lucky man, Rupert.''

Baldie laughed ''Don't tell me you are afraid.''

Roger smiled ''A little, aye.''

''Roro Vunatis scares you?''

Roger inhaled, turning his head to Rupert ''It's not Roro Vunatis that scares me. In fact, it's not even these pirates scare me. Failure is what makes me so afraid.'', Roger finished and revealed his right hand, shaking as he raised it. Rupert stared at it with eyes widened.

''I'm a last living member of house Reyne. With my death, there will be no hope for my house to ever be restored to it's former glory. I don't want to let house Reyne be ended by a hand of some pirate from Stepstones.''

''You are the best fighter I've ever seen, Roger.'', Rupert said, placing his hand on lord's shoulder, encouraging him with a smile ''I can't imagine any of these pirates besting you in combat.''

Lord of Wreckstone sighed and spoke, staring upon the horizon ''I remember, when I was six years old, a day before my grandfather would start an uprising known as Reyne-Tarbeck revolt, ser Ben Kenning told me 'Lord Roger the Red Lion is the one of the best fighters in the kingdom, who could fight on par with ser Barristan Selmy himself. Red Lion will tear the golden lion with it's claws!'. He told me this with such passion! I could see it in his eyes. Ben Kenning believed in my grandfather so much!''

''What happened next?''

''My grandfather, the Red Lion himself, was nearly killed in battle, and his army defeated by Tywin Lannister. He retreated to Castamere, where we all were. He thought it was a safe haven. I barely remember when my father, sent me away alongside Ben Kenning just before the battle for Castamere.'', Roger explained all the while staring upon the sunset, as his eyes reflected what's left of sunlight well, but he blinked and all reflection was lost. ''But that is a story for another night. We need to focus ourselves on conquering Bloodstone.''

Rupert nodded his head and watched as his lord turned his back to him and walked away.

In dawn of fourth day, Roger's host stormed the southern coastline of Bloodstone. Upon approaching island with their ships, they proceeded the Bloodstone on rowboats quietly, managing to take pirates in the fishing village off guard. Without much effort, pirates in the village were killed, and locals joined Roger's small army, taking weapons from dead pirates. Still, that was not enough. Roger originally planned on liberating all four villages as he had learned about them from the reports, before attacking Roro Vunatis in his hideout. Army was split in two to liberate the villages. One was lead by Rupert, while Roger led another himself. Armies went seperate ways, westward and eastward. They would eventually meet up in the north part of the island, just before the entrance of the hideout, an information they've learned from the locals.

In less than half a day, Rupert's army managed to free another village with no casualties, freeing about hundred slaves, most of which were women and children. When freed slaves able to hold a sword were ready, Rupert proceeded to the next point. As his army marched towards the northern coast of the island, they didn't encounter a single pirate. Rupert noticed some of his men sighing of relief and relaxing in the silence. But it was too quiet for Rupert's liking.

''I don't like this.'', Rupert told his liutenant as they walked in front while the army followed in two rows in a small valley, marching uphill. ''It's too quiet. I don't like this at all.''

''Me neither.'', liutenant answered, scanning the hills around him ''Makes me feel uneasy. As if they're creepin' on us.''

''Aye, you're ri..'', Rupert couldn't finish as the arrow swished through the air, past his head and right into a liutenant's eye. Man fell on his back and before Rupert could draw his sword, a volley of arrows flew towards them.

''Take cover!'', Rupert shouted and jumped aside, trying to find a nearest cover. He felt agonizing pain as arrow pierced his calf while he ran. Baldie fell on grass and covered his head in hope arrows would miss it. He heard screams of his men as arrows hit their targets. When he dared to look up, he saw numbers of pirates charging at them from the top of the hill, with weapons ready in their hands. A man leading them wore a black cloak with a hood on, carried by the wind, and a unique looking sword in his hand, which reflected moonlight like no other sword he has ever seen. Could it be..?

Rupert rolled aside, dodging the attack as Roro Vunatis thrusted his Valyrian sword at him, missing and stabbing his blade into the tall grass. He tried to stand up, but the pain in his right leg forbade him. Rupert's men arose in defence and fought pirates valiantly, but they were outnumbered. Pirates poured from the hill endlessly, it seemed that their whole army was there. Pirate lord attacked again, swinging his mighty blade from above, but Rupert parried the attack, raising his sword with his right hand, all the while kneeling on one knee. Roro smiled viciously before he kicked Rupert in the chest, sending him backwards. Baldie gasped for air, feeling the kick he just recieved. He raised his head and dared to look around himself, only to see his men getting killed one after one. Rupert turned his head to look at Roro Vunatis approaching him with a Valyrian blade in his right hand, ready to take Rupert's life. Baldie tried to stand up, putting all effort in that one push which enabled him to stand on his feet. Pirate lord stopped for a moment, gripping his blade now with both hands, taking a battle stance as battle raged around him. Rupert raised his own sword and took a defensive stance. He realised Roro is a better swordsman. And he knew he didn't have much time left. I know I cannot take him down, but I'll at least give him a proper fight!, Rupert boiled inside and gripped the hilt of his blade tighter as Roro Vunatis charged at him, swinging his blade cleanly as if he's been doing it his whole life. Rupert managed to block the attack, but Roro didn't stop. He attacked and attacked, slashed, thrusted and slashed again. Rupert blocked and dodged each of the attacks, but in the end, he lost his sword and was knocked to the ground again. Pirate lord smirked as he pointed his blade towards Rupert's neck. Baldie closed his eyes, awaiting his fate.

''Charge!''

Opening only one eye, Rupert couldn't see pirate lord anywhere around him. Battle still raged all around, but the pirate lord was nowhere to be seen. Rupert's men seemed to wake up at the Charge they've just heard. And suddenly, tide was against pirates. In the distance, Rupert spotted lord of Wreckstone carving his way towards him, cutting through pirates with ease as if they were a butter. His men followed right behind. Roger danced with sword in his hand, fighting against pirates, making it look like a childplay.

''Commander!'', one of the soldiers shouted as he ran towards Rupert, offering his hand to help him stand up. Rupert felt the pain of his wounds as he struggled to stand up, taking soldier's hand. As he found himself on his feet, Rupert scanned the ongoing battle. Tables were turned around. Pirates were retreating, or at least they were trying to. Roger's men pushed them from the east while Rupert's army blocked the path to the west. Roro Vunatis was nowhere to be seen, though.

''Rupert!'', Roger shouted his friend's name as he ran towards him, slaying two pirates in the process, stabbing one in the gut before pulling a sword and slashing another's neck in a smooth turn. ''Can you fight on?''

Rupert made a painful grimace, pointing at his wounded leg ''I can't run.''

Roger nodded ''Retreat with the rest of the wounded.'', lord ordered before he turned to give an order to the rest of his army ''Follow me! Death to the pirates! Charge!''

Rupert cursed to himself as he tried to pull the arrow from his leg, before soldier stopped him, saying ''There will be time for that, commander! We need to leave, now!''

Baldie nodded his head and with soldeir's help, retreated with the rest of the wounded. He cursed to himself again, ashamed he couldn't fight anymore. He was defeated in battle with his sword clean. This battle will haunt him for nights to come.

By the end of the day, an army of outcasts, former slaves and sellswords charged at the fleeing pirates, putting the end to an already won battle. Rupert knew that if it wasn't for Roger, he would be a corpse by now. He sighed in relief before he sat to rest as he walked quite a distance by nwo, looking around himself to see a dozens of corpses, as the sound of battle quieted down, and a ominous silence took over.

Roger and his men chased the pirates all the way downhill to the beach. Cowards jumped in water in hope to swim away to the safety. Not all of them succeeded. Quiet few of them were shot down by arrows fired by Roger's men. Those that couldn't reach the sea were taken down by former slaves and slaughtered by the same. Slaves were thirsty for pirates' blood, and with their blood they were served. Inhabitants of Bloodstone were freed, and piracy put to an end. Almost. All that remained was to purge the hideout of the remaining pirates.

YYeprZa.png

Bloodstone stands liberated, and pirates defeated

Rupert rested awaiting for the news of Roger's success, which was just a matter of time. He recieved the news that casualties numbered about hundred and fifty men while pirates lost over five hundred, most of those in retreat. Sitting in the tall grass staring upon the rising sun, Rupert poured himself a cup of wine and enjoyed the dawn of the new day.

xxx

Apologies if wait for the new chapter was too long. I was at vacation with my family for the weekend, so I didn't have access to my laptop. I hope you will enjoy first action piece (even though Rupert surely didn't :D) as much as I did.

Cheers, mates!

A hard fought battle - but a useful victory.

Alright! I'm finally caught up! Apologies for the delay. I'm very flattered that my AAR inspired you to write one yourself. (Though my wife would have some feelings about the idea that I'm another George R.R. Martin!)

So far it's been an interesting read. Other AAR writers have tried their hand at House Reyne, though I don't think any of them were completed, or got very far. So far the notion of him taking the pirate islands to ensure a growth of power (I assume that's the long-term strategy) has made it interesting to see how far he will go; he may very well create another Iron Islands. As for "Baldie" Rupert, I get a very distinct Onion Lord vibe from him.

Also, you mentioned House Reyne in the Clash of Kings mod for M&B Warband. I happen to have that game and mod, and have watched videos of people attempting to resurrect House Reyne. How far did you get in M&B Warband yourself?

A hard fought battle - but a useful victory.

Indeed, although casualties on my side were pretty low, same can't be said for the morale of the army. For a moment, I thought I'd lose that battle, but I'm glad I was proved wrong.

Alright! I'm finally caught up! Apologies for the delay. I'm very flattered that my AAR inspired you to write one yourself. (Though my wife would have some feelings about the idea that I'm another George R.R. Martin!)

So far it's been an interesting read. Other AAR writers have tried their hand at House Reyne, though I don't think any of them were completed, or got very far. So far the notion of him taking the pirate islands to ensure a growth of power (I assume that's the long-term strategy) has made it interesting to see how far he will go; he may very well create another Iron Islands. As for "Baldie" Rupert, I get a very distinct Onion Lord vibe from him.

Also, you mentioned House Reyne in the Clash of Kings mod for M&B Warband. I happen to have that game and mod, and have watched videos of people attempting to resurrect House Reyne. How far did you get in M&B Warband yourself?

Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot. Well this isn't the first time you inspired me to write something, friend. (I had a wildling aar with pretty cool backstory in planning with few chapters already written inspired by your House of Threedrop aar and my previous aar House of Saul which was unfortunately ill-fated).

Well, you'll definitely see more of Baldie in later updates as I dare tease, he gets quite a promotion later on. Other than that, he is very interesting character for me and I hope you'll like him in further updates.

As for my own house Reyne ressurection progress, I've made quite few significant steps, althouth in Essos. I spent most of the game as a vassal to Myr, declaring independence in the end, forming the Kingdom of Andals as it seemed most fit and not lore-breaking for my character.

A very well written AAR! It's quite nice to see Henry inspiring people, even I was inspired by him kind of. All of the other Reyne AARs just kind of vanished so it's good to see something unique, case on point, how did you make Wreckstone a feudal county? Asking for a friend.
Also, I'm kind of nit-picking here but there usually there only has to be a comma after dialogue and a full stop isn't needed. That's how I was taught anyway, or I'm going mad slightly. I'm not sure if you asked for corrections so this may have been an assholey thing to write.
Still, a unique AAR is always welcome, especially a Reyne one, I'm kind of a sucker for someone or something coming back to bite the Lannisters in the ass from their past.

A very well written AAR! It's quite nice to see Henry inspiring people, even I was inspired by him kind of. All of the other Reyne AARs just kind of vanished so it's good to see something unique, case on point, how did you make Wreckstone a feudal county? Asking for a friend.
Also, I'm kind of nit-picking here but there usually there only has to be a comma after dialogue and a full stop isn't needed. That's how I was taught anyway, or I'm going mad slightly. I'm not sure if you asked for corrections so this may have been an assholey thing to write.
Still, a unique AAR is always welcome, especially a Reyne one, I'm kind of a sucker for someone or something coming back to bite the Lannisters in the ass from their past.

Thanks for the kind words, it feels great to have more people reading this pile of words! I'm glad you like my idea for this aar. Just like you said, most if not all Reyne AARs quite vanished so I wanted to do one for refreshment and also because I thought this would be an original idea. Also cap'n, about Wreckstone becoming a feudal county, fear not, I have not forgotten about it. It will be explained in one of future chapters.

I'd also like to thank you for correcting my grammar mistakes, I am still learning since English isn't my native language (I'm from Serbia), so I hope you won't mind my grammar mistakes too much. :oops:

Chapter 4 - Davos

Sea was calm during the evening. Breeze coming from the south brought refreshment to an already hot day. Davos watched the sunset from the docks of Bloodstone, former pirate haven. He weighed chain collar around his neck. It was the sign that he was a maester and that he earned the right to be called one. The collar signifies that maesters do not serve themselves, but are instead servants of all of Westeros. It consists of several links of different types of metal. These chains are formed from every metal known to man, but almost no maester will ever wear them all. Maesters do not remove the chain ever, not even when sleeping.

8jbXZoL.png

Davos of the Stepstones

Davos took a death breath, enjoying the peaceful evening. And then he turned around and walked away, his brown robes dragging on the floor. He walked towards the small town, which in fact, looked more like a village than a town. But it was the biggest and most populous inhabitat on Bloodstone, other three being just small fishing villages. This town as well, has been mistakenly taken as a fishing village, but after conquest of Bloodstone, Davos came to learn that this town had a large house where it's ruler if he can be called that, lived. There was also a two story tavern, two orchards, six shops, two watch towers at the docks, dozens of houses, and of course, docks, where lord Roger's fleet is anchored.

Calm that Davos enjoyed was soon interrupted by crowd of people gathered at the center of the town, a small clearance in the middle of it. In the middle of the crowd, there was a small wooden platform with several people on it. Maester recognized his lord, Roger Reyne, standing there proudly looking down at his subjects with three women behind him, standing on wooden chairs in front of wooden poles, from which rope hanged, tied to women's necks. It was not the first time maester witnessed an execution. Crowd shouted all sorts of words at those women, some even threatening. Davos was even startled by some things former slaves shouted at women.

Lord Reyne raised his right hand, and crowd quieted down.

''People of Bloodstone! Soldiers of freedom! We've gathered this day to witness the punishment of these women!'' lord spoke with such pride in his voice, Davos could hear. Even though he was far away, maester could hear his lord's voice echoing in distance with such might, and he could swear he could see a glimpse of a smile on Roger's lips.

''These three women, Narba Mopios, wife of pirate lord Roro Vunatis, and her accomplices Betharios Iranyris and Pynta Vunatis, are guilty of a crime of piracy! For their crimes of violating the freedom of many and theft, they are sentenced to death by hanging!'', lord Reyne judged the three women, who started crying at the moment sentence was given. Upon hearing their lord, crowd started cheering wildly, while a large man walked up the wooden stairs on the platform and stood behind lord Reyne, who turned his head and told him something. A man then turned around and approached the first woman from behind, stopping right behind her. In a split moment, he kicked the chair, and a woman lost her footing. A thud could be heard as chair fell of the platform from the force of the kick and a woman struggled as she hanged, battling to survive. Davos turned his head away, not daring to watch. He heard as crowd cheered every time after a woman was executed, and mustered strength to watch only after each woman was executed, their lifeless bodies hanged on the wooden poles, waiting for ravens and other vultures to feast on them.

wiXrST7.png

Not long after the execution, crowd dissolved and every man and woman went his own way. Maester headed to largest building in the town, towards his own quarters. He saw lord Reyne and his right-hand man, Rupert, standing in front the entrance, discussing something. Davos bowed his head as he walked past his lord, with Reyne replying him with a swift nod. He scanned the building up and down thoughtfully. Woods were made of white stone, very much similar to those of residence of house Wensington in Storm's End Davos visited with his lord not so long ago. Walls were decorated with several wooden windows on both floows and a balcony above the entrance. Upon entering hallway, maester took a turn left which led to a round stairway leading to upper floor and another hallway where Davos' room was located. Opening second door to the left, maester entered his quarters, to find it in the same state he left it. Two winged wooden window was left opened, letting the light and a fresh air in. His bed was cleaned and made. Books were in the same order on the small boockase just like few hours ago. Jar of water on his table was still empty and quill thrusted into small ink bottle. And of course, his diary was left opened with two blank pages waiting for him to be filled. He smiled upon seeing the thing and didn't waste a moment before he sat on a chair and took a quill in his right hand, writing straight away.

Lord Roger executed three pirates today, a wife, a concubine and a sister to a former pirate lord. People of Bloodstone cheered on their executi.on. Lord himself seemed to enjoy the execution of three women. I pray that he won't enjoy executions that are to come too much, for his sanity may be in question.

Maester wrote few paragraphs on the left page and put the quill in the ink, and scratched his beard as he stared down thoughtfully at the text he wrote right now. In a moment, quill found itself in maester's writing hand again, completing the page.

It must be mentioned that inhabitants of Bloodstone were quick to recognize lord Roger as their overlord. He freed them from the shackles of slavery, which they returned with being loyal subjects. And here and now, feudal system was brought on Stepstones, something never acomplished before. People of Bloodstone refer to him 'my lord'. Soldiers in his army do the same. Lord Roger is truly a remarkable man, albeit a bit extreme in some cases. So far, he proved to be a good leader, taking care of his people. It's his enemies that should fear him, for he is not very merciful to them. Lord Reyne is a very dangerous man, and we are all aware of it.

Maester smiled as he finished the page, putting the quill down on the desk. He waited a few moments for the ink to dry on parchment before closing his diary. Davos was proud of his diary, and he's been proud ever since he started writing it the day he left Yronwood to go to the Citadel in Oldtown to become a maester. He missed the mountains of Dorne, his true home, and dreamed of returning to Yronwood one day. But hope is all he's got right now. Looking at the closed diary, his lips curved into a smile, as he remembered what he wrote on a first page. He opened it and read 'I am leaving for Citadel to become a maester. Don't be too surprised if sometime in these years to come you hear 'Archmaester Davos of the Citadel rediscovered how to forge Valyrian steel.'.

He was such a silly young man then, full of ambition and thrill for adventure. Davos wasn't exactly old now, he was only twenty six, but he felt old. Except for keeping his diary, he was useless. He wasn't good with herbs and healing. He didn't know history very good, or geography. And it was only because he was too lazy to learn. Davos realised his mistakes, yet he couldn't right them. Or he rather felt he couldn't. Upon meeting lord Roger a year ago in Oldtown, which the young lord visited with then small crew of men, Davos knew that his destiny was with that man. He knew that lord Roger Reyne will make a full use of Davos' capabilities and make him leave a mark on this world. And a chance to leave that mark is right in front of him. Maester has already made preparations for his biggest work to date. Every move and decision of lord Roger Reyne will be written down on a parchment, to be remembered for generations to come. Davos of the Citadel will be remembered as a maester who put the name Roger Reyne into annals of history.

xxx

I know this was rather a short chapter, but I did it intentionally, just to introduce maester Davos in a proper way, so I hope you won't mind it.

Cheers

Lord Reyne showing himself to be a harsh man.

Davos's thoughts about himself remind me of the lyrics of a Garth Brooks song: "I'm much too young to feel this d--- old."

On another note, I wonder if the expectation for not having too many executions is a realistic one? I mean the crimes for the women getting hung was piracy, and Reyne is in essence purifying islands filled to the brim with pirates, so... there's probably gonna be A LOT of hangings...

Sounds like Lord Reyne is on his own little warpath. Let's hope he will keep up this attitude long enough to eliminate the Lannisters.
And also,
It's his enemies that should fear him, for he is not very merciful to them. Lord Reyne is a very dangerous man, and we are all aware of it.
You just know that the historians of the Citadel will make it seem like Roger is the second coming of Satan or something.