• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
4f329a76d2d1117a0a4069051d080f63.jpg

l'Élan Journal
Defense of the Expansion of the Franchise

The expansion of the franchise, the amount of electors within France, is a necessary reform to the Kingdom. Now, one may question how this publication, a conservative outlet known to defend the status quo and the maintenance of the balance of powers, can come to support perhaps one of the most radical reforms within the legitimate Kingdom, without attention to the Revolution and Era of Bonaparte. This is due to a single, simple fact. The franchise needs to be expanded in order to ensure the people, the foundation of the Kingdom's strength, can give their voice to the government which in turn can give their input to the King.

The state is derived from the King. The legitimacy of the state is derived from the King. By the gift of God, the King has been placed in control of France in order to guide it. However, even in the times of the Ancien Regime, even the Sun King had advisers in which he listened to. It does not undermine the King to have a greater amount of input for his consideration, it does not undermine the strata of the state to allow the common man to give his say to who may help the King decide upon his choices. It is not a mistake to allow a man, a curator of a business, a protector of a large family, an owner of a plot of land, to vote.

The order of French society, the greatest one under the Lord, is established with the King on top, the clergy and noblemen under him, and commoners underneath. Nothing about this strata, nothing in the Bible, and nothing in the Church says that the common man, the defenders of faith and hearth, should be completely devoid of input. Its not as if the King listens to the nobles consistently, let alone the commoners. The King is a and the sovereign. Enfranchising the commoners will do nothing to alter this.

Thus, it is the correct thing to expand the franchise, it is the correct thing to allow the men of Toulouse, the Vendee, and Occitan to show their fervour for the Ultraroyalistes, and the correct thing to further defend the realm against rabid anarchists, liberals, and Bonapartistes that seek to destroy the state, the King, and France.

image_029.jpg

A Need of Allies

Hercule Vipond, duc de Piombino

In betwixt his efforts to woo the Mademoissele de Orleans, another increasingly momentous occurrence was laid in front of the Duc de Piombino - the rise of liberalism. While perhaps not the staunchest of liberals, the Duc de Piombino nevertheless heavily preferred the movement than the other options for a variety of reasons, perhaps the largest reason being its association with Masonic institutions. And if he had his way, it would be through his Masonic institutions.

Taking to his study, a flurry of letters would be sent out bearing the signature of the Duc de Piombino.

To M. Artaud @Qwerty7

"First, let me congratulate you and your colleague Constant in breaching forward, overcoming the malaise of Ultraroyalism that has seemingly dominated the public scene. I have, in most recent times, been quite interested in the concepts of liberalism as of late, and as I understand it, you are much the brain behind its modern realization.

I extend to you an invitation to my house, and to you and your colleagues a place within the Supreme Lodge de France. As I understand it, the intellectual minds behind liberalism have seen in Freemasonry a conduit for the exploration a thought in an environment that is open to the dissimenation of thought with the protections of brotherhood.

If these offers should be of interest to you, I will see fit to induct you and your colleagues quickly, so that my emergent organization may extend you the fullest fraternity in our ranks."

- Hercule Vipond, duc de Piombino

To General Lamarque @baboushreturns

"Allow me to be no doubt one among many who welcome your return home. It is good that some heroes have been allowed to remake themselves in France, and that now it seems the forces of Ultraroyalism wane in light of liberalism and moderation.

Know that you are a guest in my home, and that should you wish, I wholeheartedly welcome you to the Supreme Lodge de France - a Masonic fraternity that I have been of late constructing to rival those less scrupulous interpretations of our codes."

To M. Rothschild @Davout

"I have heard that you are a man of culture, sponsoring a great deal of works that have not gone unnoticed. Although I am more in the appreciation of the literary arts, I find that you and I are cut from the same cloth of mindset - truly we must serve as patrons for the bounties of French art, no?

We in the Supreme Lodge de France have at times worked in unison to discuss the arts, but I find our membership lackiing in true visionaries. I extend you an invitation into our order, so that this void may be filled; with a fraternal web of support, it would allow a greater strive towards the financing of arts, and of other things."

To M. Duval @MadMartigan

"Let me give you my sincerest sympathies for your situation; indeed, it was not long ago that the mobs of reaction stood outside my own house, threatening me with the horrors of mob violence. I know full well the struggles you find yourself in.

While my lodge is one of refinement, I do admit it is emergent, and we still seek membership across France to rival that of other, more odious, splinters. However, I will give you the fullest of my efforts to try and allieviate the burdens you find yourself in. It has been a standing notion of mine that the mobs must be quieted by calmer minds. And barring that, if I may reach the ears of the Marseilles' elite, they find their hearts turned towards charity by my words - a donation of bread would do well to ease tensions.

A hungry man is always louder than the man content, so let us pray that their bellies be filled - either by words or bread.

If they cannot be calmed, I will dispatch to you a servant of mine own employ: a simple but faithful man, a Breton of the name Per. He will ensure you safely removed from any violence, and if need be, there are always rooms in my household. And just the same, there is room within my brotherhood for new members, though I shall burden you with this notion after your safety is assured."

WGa2d4D.png

The Detriment to the French People and State That the Present Inheritance Laws Provide​

In the words of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux“L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés ou désir” Hell is full of good wishes and desires. I find it to be a perfect quote to describe the inheritance laws of our fair France. No quote can be more fitting or appropriate in its attempt to fulfill the good wishes of all children, while leaving all in poverty and France in stagnation. It was in many senses that which this faulty sense of equality came about during the revolution, rather than practicality, tradition and good sense.

To discuss this subject, one must be aware of the current state of laws regarding the inheritance of France, and to spare everyone’s temperament I shall only cover the overall standing issues of who can inherit under what rights. Under the current inheritance law of our Kingdom, every single son must receive an appropriate inheritance of the estate and wealth of his father, mother or other ancestors or family members. Children are divided into three categories depending on the manner of their parenthood. The first are legitimate children who are born in the wedlock between a lawful husband and wife. The second grade is natural born children, these are children born either prior or post marriage but still outside of marital union, but not from an adulterous relationship. Finally there are the children who are born from an adulterous relationship.

The right to inheritance is first and foremost belonging to the legitimate offspring. Should there however exist no legitimate offspring then the inheritance falls to the illegitimate children who are born prior or post to the marriage. The only children who have no basis in law or right to the inheritance of their parents are those who are born from adulterous relationships during the marriage, and as such cannot claim inheritance, though still be granted should the parent wish so.

Under our current laws, every heir under this system apart from the final category, are when certain conditions are met as outlined about such as when the lack of legitimate offspring occurs, entitled to a part of the inheritance. If there are two sons then the inheritance law demands that each be entitled to one third of the estate, if there are three sons then each receive one fourth of the estate and so on, while the remainder remains with the testator’s desires and discretion. However, at the same the same time the remainder of the inheritance stays under the principle of fairness to all sons and as such demands certain limitations on the distribution of the will not to damage said principle.

In this system which is built upon a false idea of equality, it prevents any estate or farm from remaining secure and united. Today in the Chambers we hear about agricultural boards, on how to prevent famines and ensure the output and competitiveness of the French farmer to secure French agriculture and supply the nation with its lifeblood, bread. But none seems to have a direct interest in the longevity of the farms ore estates themselves or the continued prosperity of the French agriculture aside from immediate gain.

Ministère Victor Durand de l'Intérieur has as of recent presented his bill for reform and stability, which in part deals with agriculture. If we look upon the part of the bill which deals with agriculture we can especially look upon article IV. “The Commission of Agriculture shall also gather and disseminate through the Kingdom the best practices related to agriculture and the production of foodstuffs.” And VII. “The Commission shall head inquiries in the various courts of Europe to find the most promising agricultural practices.” It quickly becomes clear that this board which is presented by the Minister aims to reform and improve upon the farming in our fair France, a need I see as well. French agriculture has been decimated and it must be restored, if this board is the right to carry it out I cannot say. But what is clear is that the French peasants and farmers must embrace new techniques and equipment, if we are to rival with other Kingdoms such as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland which we must. In Britain they have techniques and equipment which many in France has never seen before, equipment which must be imported and made better by our fair people so that France may once more rise. The board may give recommendations, but it must be the individuals who shall embrace it, the farm owners and estate managers who shall decide how best to go forward. The Crown shall supply France with workable roads and means of transportation, but the farming must come from those who have managed it for centuries.

In Britain to ensure this continued progress of agriculture, the owners of the land are in a far better position to ensure adaptation of new techniques and equipment that than those of France. The answer as to why can easily be answered, the right of primogeniture. In the past we enjoyed this practice as well, and it benefitted the whole of France. It allowed the farms and estates to stay united in one unit, under one supervisor and with one purpose. It allowed all the great estate as well as small farms the continued stability and revenue that was needed to implement the reforms to secure the future of the estate.

If we look at the plight of a good off estate, let us say that it has 500 acres and the owner has five children. When the farmer dies the estate is split and now each child has 80 acres for himself, while the remainder is distributed towards others by the owner. Then let us now say that each of the five children also has five children, each grandchild now has about 13 acres. This cycle continues and within the span of a small few generations, what was once a profitable estate has been split into dozens of smaller farms. What was once a profitable estate with good revenue and money to spare for improvements has now been split up into smaller parts, all of which with a much small capital and revenue than two generations ago. All of these smaller parts now provide different families with some form of subsistence, but it has also reduced all of them to poverty and irrelevance. Unable to pay proper rents, taxes or to improve their land and families. As such over the course of a few generations, prosperity is gone.

Now this no doubt stems from the idea of false equality and that this would allow all children to gather a prosperous future. But those who would make such an argument often fall flat to realize that in the past; fathers, grandfathers and other providers’ secured education and position for secondary sons outside of the immediate estate inheritance. That could be in the army, navy, civil service or if one was from a poorer community, simply in the form of moving on to a separate trade. This allowed the younger children to pursue careers in other areas, creating a family and providing for them, while preserving the estate and its entails, allowing the estate to remain profitable and provide for the future generations. Under the current inheritance law, this is still doable for a generation, maybe even two if the estate is large even. After that generation, when the estate is in the hands of the grandchildren, they no longer receive enough revenue to afford sending their children to receive an education.

Today however, with our inheritance laws this is no longer a possibility, as the estate must be split into five parts for five sons. So now instead of one son in charge of the estate, while the other sons provided service to the King and Kingdom, we now have five sons who all are in charge of a much smaller estate. Furthermore then we often see what has now become absentee landlords, presiding over their estates while serving in the army, civic services or other industries and neglecting their farms. This neglect reduces otherwise able farmland which could be presided over by the eldest son, to produce a low income and for the overall estate to fall into disrepair. It makes France poorer, young men who could go into new industries that are springing up all over France, instead now are bound to the land where they are becoming poorer and poorer by each generation. It reduces each estate from a profitable business down to the disturbing condition of being chipped away at for each generation, until it can no longer sustain itself.

It cannot be expected or sustainable of the Crown to supply the French farmers with new equipment, quite frankly the idea in and off itself is disgusting and unsustainable. Each estate must produce enough income to be able to modernize their practices, and as long as they are split apart upon each inheritance this is an impossible task. The revenue needed to sustain the estate, along with the revenue needed to hire new workers, equipment and tools are no longer gained. As the land has been split, it is no longer possible to gather enough income by each member of the family to buy the required needs, to sustain themselves for the future. As more and more estates face poverty, the continued quality of the French agriculture will falter and decline. Where other landowners such as in Britain are able to keep all their lands united and as such continue their estates generation after generation, it is impossible in France.

The law of inheritance is one which plagues all of France, not just the high but also the low. The peasants are likewise unlikely to survive under the current laws as their estates die out much sooner, thus only being large enough to supply mayhaps two generations before they are too small to sustain themselves. Thereby forcing the peasants to sell their farms and become destitute. If the estates and farms stay with one family member under the rule of primogeniture, then the estates can stay united and continue to gather enough income to exist in the future, while also modernizing alongside the rest of Europe. Capital to modernize while experimenting with new techniques is hard enough as it is. Therefore if France is to rise, the government must ensure that the laws of inheritance stop dividing the wealth, stability and futures of these estates and farms.

It must be the government’s duty to change the inheritance laws of France back to primogeniture, even if the pill is hard to swallow. If this is not doable, then the second best and ensure that the testator can confer the entire estate and the vast majority of wealth unto a single child. To ensure that the estates are not put at risk by a father’s death and a family’s future destroyed. Removing the current requirement that each child receives an equal share is the only way to preserve the future of France, its peasants, nobility and all in between alike. Should the issue be ignored, then in sixty years, most farms and estates shall have been split two or three times already. The estates will already be too divided by then to support the needed adaptation of newer methods that France shall need. Remove the current laws which may be made with good intentions, but shackles the population of France to poverty and financial ruin. It is often forgotten that before the inheritance laws which now preside, we did not have four fifths of the French population living in poverty, destitute and without purpose. But they lived with work, purpose and future, while the estates of French countryside remained the envy of the world, instead of its laughing stock. For France to prosper, the changes must be made.

Louis Henri Joseph, Prince de Condé, Duc de Bourbon, Bellegarde, Buise, Marquis de Graville, Comte de Valery, Seigneur de Beaugé, Chantilly, Château-Chinon, Château-Renault, Montluel, Château d'Écouen, etc., also Prince du Sang

((Private - @MastahCheef117 ))

My dear monsieur,

It is my satisfaction to inform the Prime Minister that the discussions between His Majesty's Government and His Holiness the Supreme Pontiff have been fruitful. His Holiness has agreed to the proposed convention in all particulars, and the final document has been signed pending ratification. I shall dispatch a copy to His Majesty's Government with all haste. I shall be lingering on in Rome for another day for sensitive discussions with the Prince de Metternich, the outcome of which I shall inform you in due course.

Sincere salutations,

Valence

---

Rome, la ville éternelle...

The Marquis de Valence was ensconced in the Palazzo Farnese. This palatial Renaissance estate residence to the Bourbons of the Two Sicilies, who had loaned its use to the mother dynasty for the occasion. Although France had its own properties in Rome, Valence thought it best to receive the Prince de Metternich in a suitably august fashion. Moreover, it was a sop to the Sicilian Bourbons, whose throne had been temporarily occupied by a Bonapartist usurper, a situation which had been almost allowed to stand in Vienna until the usurper rendered the matter moot by betraying the Alliance first. It was good to have an implicit reminder that the House of Bourbon was the custodian of half of Italy, yet was willing to cede Austrian primacy in Italian affairs. Stability and humility were the new watchwords of French foreign policy.

At last, Metternich and his entourage arrived - fashionably late, although that was to be expected in Rome. As the rest of the guests were sequestered away, Valence and Metternich retreated to the Sala d'Ercole, where they quickly got down to business.

"My dear Clement, it is ever the pleasure to be in your company. I must thank you again for personally attending to this affair. I trust the journey from Vienna was not too disagreeable."

"Now, aware as I am of the great effort which you have made to be here, as well as your limited time, I suggest we cut straight to the heart of the matter. It is no coincidence, of course, that we should convene in Rome. This city is the heart of Italy, and the Supreme Pontiff is the head of the Church. It is the desire of His Majesty's Government, having so recently contracted a new convention between ourselves and His Holiness, to render a firm foundation to this convention by establishing a treaty of guarantee for the Papal States. Such a treaty, as we envision it, would entail a commitment to safeguard the Papal States from external aggression, and also to uphold the Papacy from internal subversion. As Rome is the star round which the Italian satellites revolve, we believe that its security is integral to that of the entire peninsula."

"Given our close friendship with Austria, as well as common Catholic fraternity, we would be interested to hear the opinion of your government on such a treaty, and whether it would be willing to act as co-guarantor with France."

Metternich had awaited the meeting in Rome with much anticipation; his own man was now running the affairs of France, and so the Prince was enthusiastic about deliberations in Italy, which he hoped would remain firmly within Austria's sphere.

"We would find nothing less disagreeable; but we trust that France shall hereafter resign itself from matters of Italian deliberation. It is the opinion of the Emperor, and I confess, my own conviction, that the interventions of the previous government, however illegitimate, have made it necessary for Austria to act as the unilateral sentinel of Italy until the passions of the peninsula are made serene. I trust with this agreement of mutual faith we can make treaty, oui?"

((@99KingHigh))
436px-Blason_Jean_Baptiste_de_Belloy_de_Morangles_%281709-1808%29.svg.png

Du bureau de Sa Grâce +Henri Grégoire,
Évêque constitutionnel et successeur des apôtres

Destiné à Sa Grâce +Alexandre-François-Amédée-Adonis-Louis-Joseph de Lauzières de Thémines,
Primat de la Petite Église et évêque romain de Blois

Your Grace,

I am aware that it is myself who you suspect would write to you least of all; but it is out of deep concern for the work of Christ that I write to you -- unwilling to do anything simply for the sake of my own pride. It is with the greatest pleasure that I have observed the work of your jurisdiction; founded as it was in the aftermath of that disastrous Concordat. Although we have for many years found ourselves as rivals I trust that we can acknowledge a common aim between us: that of caring for the souls of the people of Blois. Even occupied as I was with the affairs of my political office, I made every effort to continue faithfully executive the apostolic duties incumbent upon my person; and it was with a heavy heart that I resigned my office. The intervening years have seen a great weight settle upon me as I have been, therefore, forced to adopt the life of a 'wandering bishop' -- possessing as I do the powers entrusted to me upon my consecration, but lacking all jurisdiction. You can imagine, I'm sure, the hardship which this imposes upon any dedicated successor to the Apostles.

As I earlier alluded to I have been able to observe the progress of la Petite Église for some years now. The steadfast devotion I have seen from the Church to the principles which have for so long animated the catholic faith in France, as well as your own unflinching opposition to the Concordat, have been most heartening. I write to you today with a request that I am sure may seem outrageous; but is one that is solely motivated by the preservation of our ancient rites and episcopal dignities. Namely I wish to request with the utmost humility my incardination into la Petite Église; so that I may, through the grace of God, serve once more as a pastor to the French people whom I hold so dearly in my heart. In return for such a great favour I propose that an immediate consecration (sub conditione) be held, to forever effect a reconciliation between us and demonstrate the common validity of our apostolic lineages.

It is my firm belief that in so doing, la Petite Église shall be strengthened immeasurably; the better for the preservation of our Gallican rites and traditions in the service of posterity. I impart my apostolic blessing upon you and shall forever remain,

yours in Christ,

+Henri Grégoire

gNWqEkK.jpg
YOUR GRACE Henri Grégoire

Your proposition has been most enthralling to my person, but I must confess myself incapacitated as present, or at least, indisposed to French visitation, as I have taken refuge in the Lower Netherlands from the persecutions of the current ecclesiastical structure. I am also unsure as to the compatibility of our convictions; a great majority of our devotees are royalist in thought and conviction, and traditionalism, not radicalism, is our watch word. Our dissent from the Concordance of 1801 is imbued with several qualities, but our Gallicanism does not produce disdain for the Monarchy, except by its engagement with the present Church. Perhaps if you could give argument for your entrance on condition of our values, I would reconsider.

Alexandre-François-Amédée-Adonis-Louis-Joseph de Lauzières de Thémines,
Primat de la Petite Église et évêque romain de Blois

d3937a51e117090061941027b572698e.jpg

Ordre de Varennes
Ordre de Louis XVI 'de Saint'

"I die innocent of all the crimes laid to my charge; I pardon those who have occasioned my death; and I pray to God that the blood you are going to shed may never be visited on France." Le Roi Louis XVI

WE recognize the innocence and sanctity of Louis XVI, Saint and Martyr of France;

WE denounce the murder of the august and saintly Louis XVI, and that of his family;

WE abhor the trahison committed from 1789, and pledge to fight it until our last;

WE commit to defending Le Roi, La Monarchie et Notre Pays;

WE pledge all our actions in the name of Dieu.
---

Les Grands Maîtres;

Claude-Joseph François Dieudonné Laurent de Béthune (1817- )

Letter from the Bishop of Montauban to the Prince of Henrichemont

Votre Altesse,

I shall be brief, for I understand you to be a man of industry and valor. I have heard, through personal relations, that you are well acquainted with the Ordre de Varennes, which seeks to commemorate the memory of our beloved King Louis XVI. His martyrdom is indeed a poignant example of sacrifice which can inspire us even today, some 25 odd years later.

Being of similar disposition and interest toward the order, I would be most glad of you should you agree to meet with me. Shall you be in Paris in the upcoming weeks, you can call on me at the Hôtel de Neuilly, rue Vaugirard.

Avec vous dans la Foy,

Henri-Charles Victorin du Bourget
Bishop of Montauban

Une lettre privée, adressée à M. Benjamin Constant et M. Charles Artaud:

Messieurs les Députés,

I ask primarily that you forgive, gentlemen, the intrusion of the letter. I may be known to you, I may not: allow me therefore simply to introduce myself as Alexandre Cazal, homme de lettres. I hope this letter finds you well, and send my greetings.

I congratulate you both on your recent elections to the Chamber. It is spiriting indeed to see those so-called Ultras exposed for the hollow charlatans they truly are. Nevertheless, I am exercised greatly by the lack suffered by we men of solid Liberal inclinations of a recognisable journal. If we are to take this first victory as a precursor to many more, and greater, I believe it to be necessary that we coalesce, in the main, around one single publication—through which we might coordinate our continued work against those obscurantist forces of undying loyalty aspiring only to the safety of their persons through their king.

Therefore, I write to you both to offer humbly two proposals:

The first is, I believe, simple enough: that we must institute at once a new journal for our much-revitalised movement;

The second is the guarantee of protection for such a journal by the expansion and secure codification of press freedoms.

If you find yourselves of similar mind, gentlemen, I invite you humbly to discuss the matters raised further over drinks at my residence at —.

Je reste, Messieurs, votre humble Serviteur,

Alexandre Cazal

Monsieur Cazal,

I find that no introduction is needed for a man such as yourself. I am indeed familiar with your work, enjoying both your recent novel and your journal Le Censeur. I am glad that we have capable pens on the side of liberty.

I must agree that our journalistic deficit has proved to be an obstacle to our achieving much electoral success. The employment of a single journal which would voice our cause is a necessity to halting the Ultra advance. Therefore, I accept the proposals which you have put forward. Being that you have already accomplished some measure of prosperity with your paper, I shall suggest that you run and edit the journal, and I shall be willing to give it my full support.

DWVrMCY.png
"First, let me congratulate you and your colleague Constant in breaching forward, overcoming the malaise of Ultraroyalism that has seemingly dominated the public scene. I have, in most recent times, been quite interested in the concepts of liberalism as of late, and as I understand it, you are much the brain behind its modern realization.

I extend to you an invitation to my house, and to you and your colleagues a place within the Supreme Lodge de France. As I understand it, the intellectual minds behind liberalism have seen in Freemasonry a conduit for the exploration a thought in an environment that is open to the dissimenation of thought with the protections of brotherhood.

If these offers should be of interest to you, I will see fit to induct you and your colleagues quickly, so that my emergent organization may extend you the fullest fraternity in our ranks."

Your Excellency,

Your congratulations are received gratefully. And your invitation even more. It delights me that a distinguished gentleman such as yourself would take interest in my writings and particularly in the beliefs of liberty. It gives me hope yet that the cause of liberalism can be advanced in France.

I accept your offer to join in the Supreme Lodge. Freedom of thought, and of speech and expression, these are liberties which I cherish very deeply, and should your organization aid people in securing and strengthening these liberties then I wholly support the cause of your organization.

DWVrMCY.png

Metternich had awaited the meeting in Rome with much anticipation; his own man was now running the affairs of France, and so the Prince was enthusiastic about deliberations in Italy, which he hoped would remain firmly within Austria's sphere.

"We would find nothing less disagreeable; but we trust that France shall hereafter resign itself from matters of Italian deliberation. It is the opinion of the Emperor, and I confess, my own conviction, that the interventions of the previous government, however illegitimate, have made it necessary for Austria to act as the unilateral sentinel of Italy until the passions of the peninsula are made serene. I trust with this agreement of mutual faith we can make treaty, oui?"
"His Imperial Majesty may rest assured that France shall firmly renounce unilateralism in Italian affairs, and should make no intervention in the peninsula unless acting in concert with Austria. We are agreed that, owing to the depredations of Bonaparte, it would be best to defer to Austria on Italian matters, and to entrust to Austria the general peace as custodian."

"We have but one reservation to express, however. His Majesty's Government is bound by family compact to the ruling houses of Parma and the Two Sicilies. We are desirous that the monarchies therein should never be threatened by internal subversion, especially in regards to the Sicilies, lately under the mastery of a Bonapartist usurper. Would His Imperial Majesty consent to likewise guarantee these regimes against subversion, or at least permit France to act in their defence should it become necessary?"

"His Imperial Majesty may rest assured that France shall firmly renounce unilateralism in Italian affairs, and should make no intervention in the peninsula unless acting in concert with Austria. We are agreed that, owing to the depredations of Bonaparte, it would be best to defer to Austria on Italian matters, and to entrust to Austria the general peace as custodian."

"We have but one reservation to express, however. His Majesty's Government is bound by family compact to the ruling houses of Parma and the Two Sicilies. We are desirous that the monarchies therein should never be threatened by internal subversion, especially in regards to the Sicilies, lately under the mastery of a Bonapartist usurper. Would His Imperial Majesty consent to likewise guarantee these regimes against subversion, or at least permit France to act in their defence should it become necessary?"
"I am glad to hear your consent to this arrangement; and I have the least objections to concession of prerogative to His Imperial Majesty, who will refuse all attempts at the unjust usurpation of the regal rights. You have this as a guarantee. Perhaps we would be wise to incorporate it into our prospective treaty?"

((If you consent, send me a finalized version and I'll do another event)).

image_029.jpg

A Need of Allies II

The Duc de Piombino did not stop his flurry of writing there - nay! He would continue onward, wracking his memory for more men of substance to fill his ranks! One more plopped into his brain, rattling around at the speed of his writing, which was to say rapidly.

To Henri Jules, M. de Bourbon @etranger01

"Let me preface this first with condolences for your and your family's recent loss; though I did not know your grandfather, I am aware that his passing marked the loss of a great man.

In times of mourning, I have always sought solace in two things - literature and in fraternity. You, as a learned gentleman, no doubt possess the means for the former, but in the latter, it is my paramount hope that I may offer you assistance in the latter.

The fraternity of Freemasonry has always been to me a beacon, one that guided me in my personal life to the betterment of my character in all regards. And while I believe modern Freemasonry within France has waned of late, helmed by men who go against our sacred ideals - some even honing their lodges to follow the dogma of Ultraroyalism - I offer you a position within my own organization - the Supreme Lodge de France.

Founded as a sanctuary for thought and personal growth, the brotherhood I offer you stands ready to welcome you with open arms; our membership claims great men, and I see in you likewise characteristics, the personal aptitude that will uplift our fraternity - and as I hope, we shall uplift you as well.

My home is always open to you, should you find yourself with questions regarding our order or any sort of guidance in life, just the same as the Supreme Lodge is open to you as well."

image_029.jpg

A Need of Allies II

The Duc de Piombino did not stop his flurry of writing there - nay! He would continue onward, wracking his memory for more men of substance to fill his ranks! One more plopped into his brain, rattling around at the speed of his writing, which was to say rapidly.

To Henri Jules, M. de Bourbon @etranger01

"Let me preface this first with condolences for your and your family's recent loss; though I did not know your grandfather, I am aware that his passing marked the loss of a great man.

In times of mourning, I have always sought solace in two things - literature and in fraternity. You, as a learned gentleman, no doubt possess the means for the former, but in the latter, it is my paramount hope that I may offer you assistance in the latter.

The fraternity of Freemasonry has always been to me a beacon, one that guided me in my personal life to the betterment of my character in all regards. And while I believe modern Freemasonry within France has waned of late, helmed by men who go against our sacred ideals - some even honing their lodges to follow the dogma of Ultraroyalism - I offer you a position within my own organization - the Supreme Lodge de France.

Founded as a sanctuary for thought and personal growth, the brotherhood I offer you stands ready to welcome you with open arms; our membership claims great men, and I see in you likewise characteristics, the personal aptitude that will uplift our fraternity - and as I hope, we shall uplift you as well.

My home is always open to you, should you find yourself with questions regarding our order or any sort of guidance in life, just the same as the Supreme Lodge is open to you as well."

To Hercule Vipond, duc de Piombino ((@Noco19 - PRIVATE))

Your Grace,

Thank you for your thoughtful words. They are a source of comfort to myself and my family in this trying time.

I am naturally intrigued by your offer, having heard of your fraternity in passing. I am flattered that you would consider me suitable for inclusion within your ranks.

I have likewise considered the trend towards absolutism and reaction to be detrimental to the already damaged social fabric of our nation, and we are of like mind in that regard and many others.

It is therefore my pleasure to accept your kind offer. I hope that I may be of some small service to your order's learned men and, in time, improve myself thereby.

Please do not hesitate to call upon me further. I look forward to paying a call upon you soon.

Sincerely,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

((A white paper from the War Minister for the eyes of his Most Christian Majesty, and those members of Cabinet he wishes to make the contents privy. @99KingHigh))

Your most Christian Majesty,

As all matters regarding defense remain the prerogative of your Most Christian Majesty, and that all soldiers are loyal sons of the King, we humbly seek your wisdom on the following matters;

We have spent much of the last two years depoliticizing the Army, to avoid any confusion as to where its true loyalties should be held. This process has sapped much of the Army's strength and we are fast losing even the interest of those emigre officers who rallied to your banners upon the return of the Bourbons to Paris. Additionally, Sire, there are wide-spread problems relating to manpower, recruitment and retention, and morale and wellness that I beg of your attention. After a careful review of current affairs, I have collected those solutions which I believe would be easier to enact and have little impact on the fisc.

On the matter of the Departmental Legions, over the past two years it has been a struggle to enforce recruitment quotas. The finances of each department differ, the manpower available as well, but the quotas remain uniformly the same for every department. There has been a general lack of enthusiasm for military service, no doubt brought on by the limited resources that the budget allows for and the demands of the private sector for labor. We do not ask for more money but rather we beseech your August person to allow your Army to make better use of such precious resources you have afforded us; namely, to allow recruitment for the Departmental Legions to be on a nationwide basis, and that they be allowed to continue the traditions and honors of the old regiments, insomuch as such honors would not glorify any actions directly undertaken against the saintly Louis XVI, and his just cause, by the Regicides. Allowing for recruitment on a national basis spreads the manpower burden more evenly, restoring the old traditions instills unit pride, enforces cohesion, and better allows us to focus the loyalty of each legion/regiment towards the glorification of the King and of France.

This leads us to the matter of securing the long-term loyalty of the Army to your person, it would be disastrous to allow the Veteran's League a monopoly over the military legacy of France over the past two decades. By restoring the Royal identity of each legion/regiment, we can better work to counteract misplaced sentiments of nostalgia many rankers have over their time in Bonaparte's war-machine. Let us not only emphasize the legacy of Louis XIV, of the emigre armies, but also let us emphasize to the rankers that they survived Bonaparte's misplaced ambitions and time and time again, and won on the field--through their grit--in spite of being thrown into inhumane conditions; not in the service of France but for the sake of a Tyrant's glory. They must see that Bonaparte does not have a monopoly on glory or success; for years they saw him as the "Father of the Army," your August person must suppliant that role in the minds of rankers and be seen--just as your glorious Charter--as the incarnation of reconciliation between the old and the new.

By your August person blessing new regimental/legion colors and by allowing for nation-wide recruitment of such formations, we can renew the scared bonds between Throne and Army that were sundered during the chaos of the last two decades.

To thoroughly ensure that such bonds of loyalty will remain unsundered, we ask your August person to consider the careful cultivation of the next generation of officers. There has been much free talk and gossip over a "meritocratic" verses "aristocratic" officer corps but I posit to your Majesty that such a debate entirely misses the point. Those in command of your Army win their station through their deeds, we have many an example from Vauban to those of us who backed your person over the Tyrant, that have won our honors through service to the Crown. Whatever their origin, all officers are a breed apart, with their identity wholly devoted to the service of your person, and thus France. Thus those of common status become uplifted through their deeds in the Army, those already of the nobility re-pledge their ancestors oaths of service to your person; what arises from this process is a true aristocracy, comprised truly of the best men, who are loyal in service to your person and qualified win glory for the Throne on the field of battle.

We urge your august person, with these points humbly suggested, to bless a pilot program--with funds drawn from a combination of generous donations and the existing budget--whereby 1/3rd of the total enrollment of each military educational establishment will be comprised of scholars drawn from the commoners, and a further third drawn from the ranks of those nobles who have fallen on hard times. We propose that such students be granted full scholarships to cover every aspect of cost of attendance. Such quotas have been successful in Austria to bind the aspirations of all classes behind the Throne, and men educated in such a fashion will naturally find themselves zealous defenders of the Throne. As your August person is the Father of the Army, we urge that your Majesty allow us to provide for your proverbial sons in such an honorable and time-proven fashion.

Let us continue the work to build an Army that your August ancestors would be proud to call their own.

Always your faithful and humble servant,
M. Saint-Cyr

((A white paper from the War Minister for the eyes of his Most Christian Majesty, and those members of Cabinet he wishes to make the contents privy. @99KingHigh))

Your most Christian Majesty,

As all matters regarding defense remain the prerogative of your Most Christian Majesty, and that all soldiers are loyal sons of the King, we humbly seek your wisdom on the following matters;

We have spent much of the last two years depoliticizing the Army, to avoid any confusion as to where its true loyalties should be held. This process has sapped much of the Army's strength and we are fast losing even the interest of those emigre officers who rallied to your banners upon the return of the Bourbons to Paris. Additionally, Sire, there are wide-spread problems relating to manpower, recruitment and retention, and morale and wellness that I beg of your attention. After a careful review of current affairs, I have collected those solutions which I believe would be easier to enact and have little impact on the fisc.

On the matter of the Departmental Legions, over the past two years it has been a struggle to enforce recruitment quotas. The finances of each department differ, the manpower available as well, but the quotas remain uniformly the same for every department. There has been a general lack of enthusiasm for military service, no doubt brought on by the limited resources that the budget allows for and the demands of the private sector for labor. We do not ask for more money but rather we beseech your August person to allow your Army to make better use of such precious resources you have afforded us; namely, to allow recruitment for the Departmental Legions to be on a nationwide basis, and that they be allowed to continue the traditions and honors of the old regiments, insomuch as such honors would not glorify any actions directly undertaken against the saintly Louis XVI, and his just cause, by the Regicides. Allowing for recruitment on a national basis spreads the manpower burden more evenly, restoring the old traditions instills unit pride, enforces cohesion, and better allows us to focus the loyalty of each legion/regiment towards the glorification of the King and of France.

This leads us to the matter of securing the long-term loyalty of the Army to your person, it would be disastrous to allow the Veteran's League a monopoly over the military legacy of France over the past two decades. By restoring the Royal identity of each legion/regiment, we can better work to counteract misplaced sentiments of nostalgia many rankers have over their time in Bonaparte's war-machine. Let us not only emphasize the legacy of Louis XIV, of the emigre armies, but also let us emphasize to the rankers that they survived Bonaparte's misplaced ambitions and time and time again, and won on the field--through their grit--in spite of being thrown into inhumane conditions; not in the service of France but for the sake of a Tyrant's glory. They must see that Bonaparte does not have a monopoly on glory or success; for years they saw him as the "Father of the Army," your August person must suppliant that role in the minds of rankers and be seen--just as your glorious Charter--as the incarnation of reconciliation between the old and the new.

By your August person blessing new regimental/legion colors and by allowing for nation-wide recruitment of such formations, we can renew the scared bonds between Throne and Army that were sundered during the chaos of the last two decades.

To thoroughly ensure that such bonds of loyalty will remain unsundered, we ask your August person to consider the careful cultivation of the next generation of officers. There has been much free talk and gossip over a "meritocratic" verses "aristocratic" officer corps but I posit to your Majesty that such a debate entirely misses the point. Those in command of your Army win their station through their deeds, we have many an example from Vauban to those of us who backed your person over the Tyrant, that have won our honors through service to the Crown. Whatever their origin, all officers are a breed apart, with their identity wholly devoted to the service of your person, and thus France. Thus those of common status become uplifted through their deeds in the Army, those already of the nobility re-pledge their ancestors oaths of service to your person; what arises from this process is a true aristocracy, comprised truly of the best men, who are loyal in service to your person and qualified win glory for the Throne on the field of battle.

We urge your august person, with these points humbly suggested, to bless a pilot program--with funds drawn from a combination of generous donations and the existing budget--whereby 1/3rd of the total enrollment of each military educational establishment will be comprised of scholars drawn from the commoners, and a further third drawn from the ranks of those nobles who have fallen on hard times. We propose that such students be granted full scholarships to cover every aspect of cost of attendance. Such quotas have been successful in Austria to bind the aspirations of all classes behind the Throne, and men educated in such a fashion will naturally find themselves zealous defenders of the Throne. As your August person is the Father of the Army, we urge that your Majesty allow us to provide for your proverbial sons in such an honorable and time-proven fashion.

Let us continue the work to build an Army that your August ancestors would be proud to call their own.

Always your faithful and humble servant,
M. Saint-Cyr

LOUIS XVIII, By the Grace of God, Most Christian King of France and Navarre

F0hOc7n.jpg

Minister,

Let it be known that we have received your sentiments and are not deaf to the entreaties that you have been made. Allow the opinion of the throne to be made; we have little desire for formal rules to be imposed upon the army regarding the composition of the army as not to arouse the dissent of the nobles. Let this not be confused with ignorance of the apparent diffidence of émigrés and other esteemed loyalists to join the Royal Army — we have heard your remonstration to the status quo without impediment.

It has been made, by abundance of fact and opinion, that the present condition of recruitment through the departmental legions, has been pursued with ill-considered vigor. We should therefore give you license to reform as you have presented, and there shall be no further objection from the throne on the matter of nationwide recruitment.

As to your impressions regarding the enlistment of one-third of officers of the rank of sub-lieutenants from the ranks or the under-office, we simply request that you make this alteration the practice of the army, and not the prerogative of the Chamber, for we will find no relief in making the law universal, and nor will I foresee it as one of perfect observability. Thus we entrust you to make it in all nature and prudence the course of the army, but avoid excessive impressions of the rule as to not perturb the finer class of our Kingdom.

Upon submission by your office, and with exception to those of distaste to our persons, we shall give blessing to those new colors.

I give you good tidings, Minister.

4OvgVO4.gif

WHEN IN ROME mk. II
(Feb. 1818)

ZCjzB1W.jpg
yNmRPto.jpg

TREATY OF GUARANTEE between His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria; and His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVIII, King of France and Navarre, whose ratifications were exchanged in Rome on February 10th 1818.

In the name of the Most Holy and Indivisible Trinity.

His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria; and His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVIII, King of France and Navarre, being united in the fraternity of the Christian Faith, and equally desirous of the independence and integrity of the Italian States, have resolved to contract a treaty of guarantee. Consequently, His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty the Emperor of Austria appointed as his Plenipotentiary, His Serenity, Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Fürst von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein, his Minister for Foreign Affairs; and His Majesty the King of France and of Navarre, His Excellency, Monsieur Séverin Maximilien, Marquis de Valence, Peer of France, his Minister for Foreign Affairs; who have concurred upon the following provisions:

Article I.
The High Contracting Parties shall guarantee, in the most absolute and authentic manner, the independence of the Papal States, the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and the Duchy of Parma (hereafter "the guaranteed States"), as well as the preservation of their present forms of government, constitutional character and ruling dynasties.

Article II.
In any future situation where the guaranteed States are threatened, undermined or confronted by aggression and subversion, whether external or internal, the High Contracting Parties undertake to immediately contact the other and achieve a united resolution.

Article III.
The High Contracting Parties shall undertake to safeguard the conditions of peace, tranquillity and stability in Italy, so as to preserve the guaranteed States from regional discord.

Article IV.
The present Pact shall be ratified, and the ratifications shall be exchanged in the term of one month, or, if possible, from the day of signature of the said Pact.

In witness whereof the respective Plenipotentiaries have signed the present Pact and have thereto affixed the seal of their State. Done at Rome, February 10th 1818.

Signed,
[X] The FURST VON METTERNICH-WINNEBURG ZU BEILSTEIN.
[X] The MARQUIS DE VALENCE.
-
@MastahCheef117 better haul ass to get his Russian stuff in as requested by @Syriana or heads will roll. I want all "claims" related material done by voting opening so we can move to the Congress.

That said, voting will open on the proposed bills at 12 AM. Because we have no updates, legislation proposing and voting will be rolling, but all legislation should probably be in by the time the "first round" of legislation has its voting closed [likely Wednesday].

image_029.jpg
A Solomon in the Making?

With haste, a number of invitations had been sent out into France, delivered to men of importance. And just as quickly, responses returned, thus far all positive. The Duc de Piombino beamed at the news; the Duc de Orleans was a massive boon as a first member, but then came Monsieur Artaud.

Beyond a man of high regard nowadays, he was likewise a gateway towards even more members - liberals, intellectuals, and all manner of ascending politicians. With Artaud, the Duc de Piombino held high hopes that his lodges would prove vibrant, perhaps even the backdrops for grand happenings in time. Such high culture would serve well to create the very ethos the Duc de Piombino sought to cultivate.

And then there was the Monsieur de Bourbon - a bastard, however the Duc de Piombino was not a man to discriminate on birth. He himself came from common stock, yet had he not risen high? Simply, the Duc de Piombino saw a grieving youth - though whether this was feigned sorrow, the Duc de Piombino had none the slightest idea - in need of guidance, and in that, saw himself. In mourning for his chaotic life, the Duc de Piombino would use Freemasonry as a guide, and so then he thought the same could be done for the Monsieur. Besides, his prominence would likewise help elevate the Supreme Lodge.

Various other letters were likewise sent, as of yet unanswered. The Rothschild Jew would be an interesting addition, a man of the arts so the Duc de Piombino had heard. With his wealth, connections, and uniquely Judaic perspective, the Duc de Piombino saw him as a positively interesting selection.

Of course there was the General Lamarque, an old warrior. Admittedly, the Duc de Piombino just fancied the idea of having someone around who could halfway understand his service during the Empire - it was, after all, a massive part of his life, even though he had shunned it now.

Finally, there was the peculiar case of Monsieur Duval. The Duc de Piombino was not familiar with him, however he had known of the Duc de Piombino - enough so to invoke him for aid. Certainly, this did wonders to stoke the esteem of the Duc de Piombino, this feeling of being needed. Almost like the old days when he held high office. And indeed, this Duval was likewise in a similar spot that the Duc de Piombino was in not long ago, so even in that he felt obligation to assist as best he could; after all, it was only proper that he would pass on the favor afforded to himself by the now-late Marquis de Bezonvaux. Perhaps with the result of another staunch Mason added to this world.

Yes indeed, this leap forward implanted many ideas within the Duc de Piombino's rather active imagination. His notion that France clamored for a proper order was validated and so he would be the architect for this order. Truly, the Duc de Piombino began to fancy himself a Solomon in the making, one who would usher in great constructions through his wise leadership.

In fact, the parable of Hiram Abif came to his mind in particular - a favorite of his.

Hiram Abif had been one among a multitude of master masons, constructing the First Temple for King Solomon. However, he would be beset by three fellowcraft masons who were envious of his knowledge of secret rites as befitting his higher office; they sought the greater wages and status associated with being a master mason. In defiance, Hiram Abif would reveal nothing, and so the three would slay him with their construction implements.

Hiding his body in rubble, the three would then bury him in a shallow grave marked with a sprig of acacia. With his disappearance, King Solomon dispatched the other master masons to seek Hiram Abif, resulting in the discovery of his corpse. Soon after, the three murderers would likewise be found. In respect for the fallen Hiram Abif, King Solomon would abolish the existing signs and passwords of the master masons, burying them under his temple on the new gravestone of Hiram Abif. The reformed codes would originate from the reactions and gestures resulting from the discovery of Hiram Abif's corpse.

Yes, the Duc de Piombino thought. King Solomon had seen fit to abolish and rebuild anew, out of respect for the old bearers. And so too would the Duc de Piombino abolish the Grand Orient de France and their practices, refusing to allow their modern inceptions sully the old bearers who were of infinitely more substance than the current holders - most especially the Ultraroyalist exploiters.

And in its place would have to be a rebirth, a reformation guided by the Duc de Piombino. This entailed much, and as the thought went into his mind, the Duc de Piombino immediately leapt out of bed and took off to his study. By now, his servants were quite used to such behaivior, and so wordlessly prepared him drink, food, and ample writing supplies.

Yes, the Duc de Piombino though. It would be the dawn of a new rite - the Solomonic Rite.

Chamber of Deputies, Paris 1817.

Lothaire stood up the following day, his mind and physical body clearer and would make one simple proposal. A proposal meant to appease the market liberals of teh Chamber, as well as the ignorant masses and the merchants of France.

"M.President of the Chamber,

I will today come with a simple proposition. A proposal that will appease the masses of France and the petite borgouise and the merchants. A proposal that will honor the King's promise of 1814. A proposal that is aimed to lessen the burden of the people and the merchants. A proposal that is intended to let the market aid us into prosperity.

There is no secret that the people of Bordeaux are restless. Indeed in 1814 they had the wine revolt. Now as the British impose high tarrifs on their wine they are once more restless. I say we help them out. I say we remove the taxes for wine so that the French people can buy the wine. They have the demand for it, but not the money while the wineries have the supply Furthermore if we remove the taxes on wine it can be seen as a countermeasure to the tolls installed by the British. The wine will be sold at a lower price, and thus can be imported to a lower cost to Britain and other foreign markets. This will also help many other bustling enterprises, such as those under M.Rotschild who have many times tried to expand our wine industry, perhaps if we remove the restraints they will suceed in their effort.

Remove the taxes on salt! Salt is vital to preserve meat and fish. Let salt be affordable. Let us make it easier for the common man, the farmer and the cities and even governments to plan ahead. To store meat and fish instead of throwing them. Let the people and the market have greater access to salt, and they will use the salt to preserve their food. This is especially vital now in times of famine! I hope you can see the direct influence it have to ease the burden of the famine. Not to mention that France is the greatest salt producer in Europe. If we remove the taxes we will be able to greatly increase our salt supply. Not only for the benefit of the French people, but to export it to the rest of Europe.

Lastly remove the taxes on tobacoo. This will stimulate for further overseas trade. This will in return mean greater profit margins, which in turn mean the merchants will import other goods and expand into other markets. They will then bring in other goods that are vital for us, such as food. When they have greater profits it mean they will purchase more to. They will produce more domestically. They birng the tobacoo in, sell it in France. In turn they will invest more in the domestic market of France and import more goods to France.

I hope you can see how removing these taxes will stimulate to economical growth, in a time where France is in desperate nee for so. Remember my esteemed Deptuties: "As each of us can only purchase the productions of others with his own productions – as the value we can buy is equal to the value we can produce, the more men can produce, the more they will purchase." That's the economical side of it, tremendous benefits for our employment, production and trade balance! Then there is the social one. The people of France are restless, there is bread riots all over our beloved motherland. Now these three taxes are still unpopular, let us remove those taxes and we will fetch them a bone. We will appease the public and give them greater trust in us. Finally there is the argument that the King promised to the people that he would remove those taxes upon his restoration, I advise his most Christian Majesty to stand by his promise and remove those taxes for the better of France and it's people.

Thank you M.President that is all".

Repeal of Taxes on Tobacoo, Wine and Salt Bill

1: The taxes on tobacoo are to be repealed.
2: The taxes on wine are to repealed.
3: The taxes on salt are to be repealed.
4: The taxes are to be gradually lowered on a quarterly basis in accordance to projected state income and expenditures.
  • That is if the lowering of the rates have a severe negative impact on the current budget, it shall not be lowered.
  • If prior lowering of the tax rate provide too little capital for the budget, the rates may be restored to its former level.
5: In a 5 year period the taxes are to be fully removed. If needed can be extended to a 7 year period.
  • The year goals may be changed according to financial situations. If 7 years have passed, but there are no methods of replacing lost revenue the taxes are not to be repealed fully yet, but are to be extended.

Last edited:
Debate on the electoral reform

"
Monsieur le Président,

I will be brief. I am of the opinion, as are many of my constituent, that this electoral reform bill will be a boon to the bourgeoisie of the cities to the detriment of the minor nobles of outlying estates. The fact that the voting shall take place in departmental capitals can represent quite extensive travels for holders of the franchise. I thoroughly believe that we should accommodate our nobility by having multiple voting places in each department. Would the government agree to such an improvement?

We must keep in mind that the elections can happen at any time of the year. Many holders of the franchise might be thoroughly occupied with the management of farming estates and not be able to vote. Therefore, I proposed that voting by procuration be enabled, as long as the vote is witnessed and confirmed by legal authorities, may it be the clergy or notaries.

Should the Governement agree to those two improvements, I see naught why this bill should encounter any opposition at all in this Chamber."

"M.President,

The Deputy and revereed Bishop of Gers make some fine points. The first issue however is solved by his proposal to the second issue. Now I believe we should centralise the election system in order to make it more effective. Now I agree upon that procuration may be enabled to solve the first and second issue. However an interest group should not witness and confirm it - let it be the clergy, army or merchants. It should instead be neutral observers".

"Monsieur le Président, I am quite puzzled to hear the deputy of the Seine refers to our Holy Mother Church as a group of interest. It is a most vital institution for all Frenchmen and for the Monarchy. May I let our esteemed colleague know that, outside of Paris, in many of our departments, church officials are widely seen as impartial and often serve in stead of notaries for all legal activities.

Might I suggest that the Deputy leaves the comfort of his liberal salons in the Capital and experience the practicalities of the real life.

This being said, if the vote by procuration be secured, it will indeed mitigate the impact of the sole voting places per departments. I certainly hope that we can count on his support, as the Government's on this matter."

"M. President,

I am not meaning to insult the Church, their good work and insinutate they are not a vital institution. But even if they are well respected, and rightly so I might add, they have interests of their own. We all do. This is not to bash the clergymen and their fine work, but only to ensure that if we are to enct procuration it will be as impartial as possible. The observers should then be vetted and recruited just for that task. Of course a clergyman can be recruited to be an observer, but he should not be recruited just because he is a man of the Church. This is to keep the integrity of the election process intact. If these requirements for procuration are met, I am happy to support it".