• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LAUXILIARE_Newspaper_Heading_3_smaller.png

On the Need of the Popular Arms in the King's Name
Within the concerns of Man, little is as important as the defense of not only their Home and Hearth, but their God and King. For just as the Hearth is the centre of the soul of Man, so is the King the centre of the Man's most earthly soul, the symbol of both devotion and love. Thus a Man has two responsibilities, in line with his concern, the first is the obligation to defend his kin, the other to defend the King. To properly organise such an obligation among the common people, the creation of popular shooting clubs and from them genesis the seeds of the popular militia for the King's name.

Immediately, the first thought turns to the efficacy of such an endeavor. How could a Man ever seek to stop an army, or the ravages of the foreign enemy? This he could do, for he would not and would never be alone. Instead, Man would be surrounded by a cadre of his fellows, who are equally desireous of the diligence of their duty. To whit, the masses would gather to form a mighty and widespread armed discontent for any who shall seek to disrupt their ways or that of the King.

Nay, hark the opposition, they could never stand against the armed forces of these many and trained armies. To which I turn to the rabid past, and take divine inspiration from our enemy. Did not, in a frightful fit of energy, the banker and the trader overthrow the British in New York and Boston? Did not, in a tremendous gasp of desperation of futility, the peasant and the starving throw off the King in a treasonous fit? Did not that dread King get removed by an equally dread republican, who were naught but newspapermen? If our enemies, those anarchists and thieves of virtue, could seek the solace of the popular will, why cannot we? Is not King Henri the Redeemer the first among the faithful?

Further, the realities of the backers of that dread king have continued to influence the Most Good King Henri's cabinet, corrupting it with the foul smell of budgetary restraint. The army and the navy rot, while crows from those supporters of that dread king push for not only their dominance in the military hierarchy, but their restraint on the spending of our defense. Good King Henri saw fit, through His will as the most high of the French, to replace and remove, in reality to exorcise, the followers of that dread king, and to set around himself those good men of fine character. However the damage is done. Henri the Redeemer cannot, in good faith, be undefended by the masses. Man, in his duty, in his most holy of devices, must take upon himself the defense of Him and His forevermore, and rally to the Crown as the one true source of legitimacy, for the Crown is occupied by Him, of heavenly qualities.

Thus, these clubs are a must, and the armament of the popular will is a must. Should enemies within or without seek to ever harm our Good King Henri, we of the masses, Man, must engage in our fealty and defend Him to our dying days. The administration, while admirable in quality now, has been found in the past to be filled with those exotic eunuchs, who whisper and deceive in order to put the spawn of the dread king on the throne. To Him and to His that we give our lives for, never for that dread king.

Domadeaux anonymously pens a short poem and sends it to the Journal de Genève, Le Journal de Québec, L'abeille de la Nouvelle-Orleans, and Le Pionnier de l'Assumption in Napoleonville, Louisiana

ODE TO JUAREZ
Mexico was ruled by despots
Puppets of Britain and wicked men
They wreaked havoc and misdeeds
All across the land
The people suffered under their masters
They cried for help in desperation
Who would lead them to liberty
With the flame of revolution snuffed out?

And just then a hero emerged
A man named Benito Juarez
And so the oppressed citizens
Rose against their masters
A Republic was declared
liberty, equality, fraternity for all
The people cried out in joy
Benito, Benito!

But then the sky darkened
An epic struggle began
The forces of reaction assembled
Just as they had done in old Europe
The foreign empire entered the scene
To prop up their wretched puppets
All the might of the world was unleashed
On the poor people of Mexico

Great Benito fought with all his might
His courage and honor nearly won the day
But it was not enough and so
the Republic was defeated
The flame of liberty extinguished again
The rule of the decadent restored
The good men of the Republic slaughtered
And Benito Juarez fled

But the struggle will never be over
The people of the worlds New and Old
shall await their day for deliverance
and the restoration of their liberties
And on that day Benito will return
To lead the people to glory
Benito, Benito!
Keep the light of liberty aflame

LAUXILIARE_Newspaper_Heading_3_smaller.png

On the Need for the Feast Day of Henri the Redeemer
With the return of the King, by His God-given right to rule, we come across an inevitability. This being the need to bring the birthday of our King into popular memory as a fete in which all workers may rest, relax, and champion the cause of our most pious King. Indeed, it is an absolute tragedy that His day is not officially a feast day in the calendar, as how could any man rightfully be expected to work on a day of such joyous vigor? Call it what it must, but should any man be forced to work on His day, say "Nay"! Instead, you must take to the streets for parades and excitement, and march in honour of Good King Henri. For the banker and the taskmaster are only those that give you francs if you have slaved yourself enough to settle them, and you owe them none of your loyalty. Instead, owe it all to Good King Henri, who brings with his a bounty of riches and good favour from the Lord onto the common man. Where he walks, the beloved masses do follow in reverent glee. Let no man, no matter how rich or entitled to the fruit of labour, come between a man and his fealty to Him, the King.

This September twenty nineth, let all Frenchmen cry out and foresake their work if it is not already a holiday. For throughout France, the country shall shout their everlasting love out at our beloved King, the wearer of the Crown. Bear not the insufferable rule of those that force you to work, a slake your thirst with the devotion to your one true King. Hark, for angels sing on the birth date of Henri the Redeemer. The only question is, will you, Men of Men and provider of the hearth, put forward your enshacklement to your taskmasters over the very real love felt for you by Him, Good King Henri.

The Ministry of Agriculture and Trade of the Kingdom of France releases the following executive order, and orders its printing on the official press.

To the boards of directors of the Unions Agricoles

The ongoing reforms in the administration of our resources have given rise to particular economic consequences; while most of them have been positive, the Ministry has been analyzing the question of land prices more carefully, so as to not interrupt our modernization drive. The Ministry recognizes the importance of maintaining price stability as a grounds to advance the status of our agriculture and production. In this enterprise, it has also become clear that the recent expansion of cultivated area is proving to be a force upwards for wages and the quality of life of our smallholders, leading to increased dynamism in the rural economy.

The Ministry is compromised with this ideal of dynamism and modernization, therefore begging action for our smallholders to continue acquiring the means to expand production and invest in new techniques and increased labour. The land prices an impediment in that regard: the increased demand has made prices to soar, and driven farmers into overzealous thrift for the accumulation of hectares. All the while, rural land still remains unproductive in many an area of France, where landholders are transitioning to investments in industry.

The Ministry looks at the expansion of industrial capacity, stabilization of land prices, and more effective rural land use as very positive achievement. To that end, the Ministry seeks to aid in all those three pillars through the action of the Unions Agricoles. A plan has been devised that should provide land at reasonable values to smallholders, allowing them to invest in modernization, while providing capital and fair exchange to current landholders for their land. Therefore,

The Ministry directs the Unions Agricoles in the regions of Île de France, Nord, Bretagne, Alsace-Lorraine, Franche-Comté and Rhône to:

• Organize a land survey to determine land values and define the size and status of unproductive rural land.
  • Make offers and negotiate for unproductive land; the cap allowance in each deal is up to 20% above market price
    • The capital for the acquiring of land will be provided to the Unions Agricoles on a deal-by-deal basis, up to a limit of 100 million francs overall.
  • Once acquired, the land is to be parcelled in plots of 5 hectares each and put on sale for associated smallholders
  • The price per hectare is to be resold at a ceiling of 10% below market price
  • The income from the reselling of land shall be directed at the Union Agricole’s budget with the following directives and in the following order of priority:
    • Acquiring modern farming equipment for lease to associates
    • Establishment of departmental agricultural fairs and exhibitions
    • Redirecting of the surplus to the Ministry for loan amortization
  • The Unions Agricoles of the remaining regions are free to conduct negotiations of the same nature, as long as they are limited to areas of urban concentration
Signed,
Jean-Paul Henry Lièvremont
Minister of State for Agriculture and Trade

L’Alliance Israelite Universelle

AIU.jpg

The Alliance Israelite Universelle is a Charitable Association of like minded men of France who wish to prosecute the civilising mission of France in North Africa and the Levant by offering education to the local Jewish population and thus enlist their good graces in the service of French and European civilisation.

Whereas it has been the experience of France in Algeria that the Sephardic people have enthusiastically embraced the liberation of the French Army, and in return, rendered good services in the supply of local information and local produce,

And whereas it is the duty of France and all French to better the lives of those brought within the embrace of the Nation, to educate the newly joined in the culture, the language and the history of their betters,

And whereas France, by its Constitution, preserves liberty of worship and the promotion of civilising virtues,

The members of the Alliance commit themselves and their benefices to the construction and staffing of schools for the provision of education to boys and girls between the ages of 6 and 15 of Jewish or Christian sects living in the cities of North Africa and the Levant, to a standard comparable to the lycees of France, to promote the loyalty of the students to the French nation, the promulgation of the liberal arts to a land in darkness, and the encouragement of graduates to ultimately serve the French State and its people.

Herein signed,

A Cremieux

L Louis-Dreyfus

J de Rothschild

N de Rothschild

*********************************************************************************************************
((Letter to Baron Descombes @naxhi24 ))

My Dear Alexandre

I wish to enlist your good name and services to aid a charity which I have recently joined.

The Alliance Israelite Universelle seeks to add to the marvellous work in Algeria which the Comte de Rhone has achieved with his work with the poor.

The Grand Sanhedrin has identified a singularly useful opportunity for our community to be of service to France by providing schooling to the Sephardic Jews in Algeria, and similar communities which are dotted along the Mediterranean coastline. The Jews in Algeria have been willing allies in the French conquest of Algeria and the provision of a modern European education will provide a tangible reward which will encourage future services.

The participation of a man of your stature would greatly assist broadening the appeal of this charity as part of France’s mission rather than a particularist exercise. The members of the Grand Sanhedrin remember your great efforts on their behalf in the past, and would greatly appreciate your aid now.

I await your charitable response at your earliest convenience.

I remain, dear Sir, your devoted friend,

Jacques de Rothschild

****************************************************************************************
((Letter to Baron Reuben Duval @MadMartigan ))

My Dear Reuben

It has been many years since I have had the opportunity to see you in person, and I recently learnt that I missed your brief return to Paris from Autriche. I suppose I should chastise you for not visiting your uncle, but I remember well the reckless energy of youth and I do not begrudge your adventures.

I understand that you have now travelled to our department of Algeria which brings me to the subject of my missive.

I and a number of the community have formed a charitable institution, the Alliance Israelite Universelle, to aid our brethren in Algeria, and eventually all of the major cities of North Africa and the Levant, wherever our people are found. If God is particularly kind, maybe, one day, we will even be in Jerusalem.

The object is to provide education to the young, to teach them our ways, not just the modern Jewish practices, but also modern European principles and philosophies. We aim to elevate these children into future citizens of France, educated in the liberal arts, speaking our language, and espousing the liberal virtues of liberty, egality and fraternity with their compatriots in metropolitan France.

I would be honoured if you would join our committee as a remembrance of your father and mother who were always welcome at our table. I would also appreciate your assistance in seeking out appropriate locations in Bone and Algiers for us to establish the first schools.

I wish you all the best in your travels, and a gentle reminder to visit me and your aunt Betty when you return to Paris.

Your loving Uncle,

Jacques de Rothschild

((Letter to Comte de Rhone @Otto of england ))

My Dear Comte

I firstly wish to express my congratulations on the recent peerage, which was unexpected as it was deserved. It is a most curious turn of events given the rumours of certain other personages in Algeria, who are said to have the ear of the King and yet are not so favourably disposed towards yourself. I had expected that the jealousy of your magnificent work in Algeria may have prompted a demotion rather than a reward, but it seems the rumours of the jealousy of the less talented are merely tall tales after all.

In any event, it is the matter of the excellent charitable work which you have performed in Algeria, rather than your military prowess, which has prompted my correspondence to you. Many of my acquaintances have remarked on how your work caring for the local poor in Bone has promoted goodwill towards France and advanced our Nation’s sacred duty to improve the lot of the subjects in less developed areas of the Nation.

To that end, the Alliance Israelite Universelle has been established to provide schooling to the Jewish population and members of minority Christian sects in the cities of the North African littoral and the Levant. We seek to spread the message of the civilising nature of France and its culture amongst the natives who may be inclined to be loyal to France, but would not be inclined to accept proselytization by Catholic missionaries.

It would be of great assistance to promoting our cause if you would accept our invitation to join the board of the Alliance. We believe that a man of your impeccable record in the region of North Africa, and clearly held in esteem by His Majesty as being worthy of elevation to peerage, would endow the Alliance with an appeal which goes beyond the narrow bounds of the Jewish community in France.

I await your response, and in anticipation of the happiness of your acceptance, invite you to the next meeting of the Alliance when you are next in Paris.

Your obedient servant,

Jacques de Rothschild

Dear Monsieur de Rothschild

I am honoured that your society would see fit to invite me to be on its board, and to that I will happily accept that invitation. It is my hope that Algeria will be able to be civilized and assimilated into the yoke of France and the goals of your society align well to it. Any efforts by a group to spread French culture to Algeria be them christian or jewish should be commended and supported. I look eagerly forward to seeing how my experience may offer you aid.

On yet a different subject I would like to inquire of you if I could acquire a loan from your family. The exact amount of money needed will be determined at a subsequent meeting I wish to conduct in person on my arrival in Paris. However, the purpose of the loan is to open a factory in Paris.

I look forward to hearing back from you in regards to a loan. Any subsequent letters that need be sent to me can be sent to my Estate in Le Puy which I plan to be living out of until I can find appropriate accommodations in Paris.

Sincerely,
Genéral Godefroy Raymond de la Rhône, Comté de la Rhône

Auberjonois proposes two bills to assist in the mechanisation and enhancement of French agriculture

Article 1: An Agricultural Cooperative is for the purpose of this bill defined as ‘agricultural production in which multiple farmers run their holdings as a joint enterprise’. This is to be here on the standard legal understanding of an agricultural cooperative.

Article 2: The Departmental Governments are to be held responsible for informing the smallhold farmers of their department of this bill and grant them the opportunity to form a cooperative based on the model constitution provided (Smallhold being defined as owners with individual plots of land below 20 acres). Assistance shall be provided by the local government in drafting the constitution, keeping the constitution in storage in order to be the final arbitrator on all internal disputes. All changes to this constitution will be given to the local government for administrative purposes.

Article 3: The Agricultural Cooperative will be given the tax status of a business, with tax rates set by the national government, at contemporary levels. The tax burden of the cooperative will be halved for the first financial year, with future cooperatives containing over 50% of the same members forfeiting this right.

Article 4: Communal Land Cooperatives and their members with a 51% vote may merge with the nearest agricultural cooperative, with those owning a stake of the Communal cooperative but not having a stake of ownership in the agricultural cooperative receiving a single vote in all proceedings and subsequent dividend right. In lieu of land owned solely by the communal cooperative being removed from the agricultural cooperative upon its membership leaving the organisation, a proportional sum of money based on their proportional ownership of the communal land will be given to them based on the contemporary assessed land value.

Article 5: The Agricultural Cooperative will have similar regulatory rights as Communal Cooperatives namely:
a. Land values are determined by local commissioners of the nation in cooperation with Cooperative Commission appraisers.
b. Existing estates that enter cooperatives will receive a share of the Cooperative equivalent to the value of their estate in proportion to the rest of the Cooperative.
c. Cooperatives may purchase land, and are allowed to sell this purchased land at a future date.
d. Cooperatives are permitted to allow the incorporation of private estates at conditions set out by the cooperative’s management and the cooperative’s constitution.
e. Cooperatives are allowed to split or merge based on the agreement of the cooperative management in conjunction with a 66% vote by the general membership.

Article 6: The Government will be responsible for reforming the ‘Communal Land Cooperative Commission’, as the ‘Cooperative Commission’, and will be responsible for the national registration of these organisations and land appraisals in relation to these organisations. It’s leadership is to be appointed by the Minister of Agriculture, and future authority may be delegated to it by acts passed in line with the Charter

Louis de Rohan seconds the Law on Agricultural Cooperatives and their formation.

My sweetest Henri,

Not a night pass by when I lay in bed sleepless waiting for my prince to come rescue me from this solitary existence. I wish I could help your tormented soul, as I wish for you could help mine.

To take away all the darkness and loneliness and replace it joy and happiness. wish I could help soothe your mind. But in the meantime, while we’re not in each other’s presence, I hope this letter is enough to lift your spirits. Always remember that I’m thinking of you every moment of the day.

I hate being apart from you, my beloved. It is the most unnatural thing, yet here we are being kept apart by circumstances. But I just want to look at the bright side of this. When this is over and we can be together again, we can say that this made our relationship stronger. We can say that even distance is no match for the love between us. We can tell everyone that we’re stronger than those barriers, social and physical, between us.

Please do what you believe is right. To inform me of a social event or adress my father head on. He might be intimidating, but is not our love worth fighting for?

Yours always,

Daphnée.

PS: I added a lock of my hair and my favorite necklace. Please keep it until we meet again.

((Private - @ThaHoward))

To Jérôme de Lécuyer,

I send you this letter in the hopes of making a request of you. I remember fondly the time spent with your daughter, Daphnée, while your family was visiting mine during their tour of Bretagne. Nothing delighted me more than partaking in engaging conversation with her and showing her the sights of my homeland. You are a most fortunate to have such a lovely woman as your daughter.

With such positive memories of Daphnée, I wish to ask your permission to accompany her out into the capital some time in the near future. Paris has much to offer in the way of cultural activities that would delight such an intelligent young woman. It would be my greatest honour to escort Daphnée to the Paris opera, if she would be willing. She is certain to enjoy such a delightful experience and I will ensure she has a wonderful time.

I pray that you may grant me this humble request so that I may be blessed with the wonderful presence of your beloved daughter Daphnée once more.

Sincerely,
Henri de Rohan

Bazaine had been a busy man, so much so that much of these past few months seemed to bleed into one another, rapidly progressing from one event to the next. The passing of his mother was much the impetus for this period of upheaval in his life, and for the first time in quite a while, he made an extended leave from Paris to visit with his kin in far-off Toulouse. It was a welcome reprieve from the heady politics and backdoorsmanship that permeated the capital, and Jean-Paul grew reaccustomed to the scenic and quaint rural life that had typified his childhood. Alas for him, this idyllic moment had to pass, and soon he was off to Paris again. He had, during this time, proven to be an increasingly detached politician, rarely involving himself in the dealing and wheeling that seemed to be all that kept Paris alive; indeed, his growing distaste for the political class made him once again, neither for the first and almost certain not for the last time, consider retiring from the political sphere (at least directly) and returning to life in the military, which had always suited him. He had, by this point, grown more independent financially from his father’s friends and supporters – many of whom had now passed, the remainder living on clearly stolen time. He had taken up, at various points, taken up writing, which he prove to have little real talent, and even less desire, and – more successfully – farming. A small estate near Paris had become his home, not quite far enough from Paris to be like home, but certainly superior to that interminable city.

It was near that very estate that he met the girl who was now his fiancée; she was the daughter of some exceptionally impoverished former noble who had tied his fortunes to the Napoleonic cause, and was hoping that this match could gain him favour and influence within both Bonapartist circles and within Assembly. Jean-Paul was certain he would disappoint the old man on both accounts.

He had hoped to spend more time enjoying his newfound love, as well as the quiet of his new home, yet the constant demands of the City called yet again. A new election was on the horizon, and Jean-Paul reckoned it was likely time to actively reinvolve himself in the bickering, at least for the moment.

((Not sure what's up with the formatting, but........ you get the idea.))

His Majesty's government puts forward the following legislation:

Law on the Safety of Mills and Factories

Section One: Hours of work

I. Women and children employed in mills and factories are to work no more than sixty-three [63] hours per week as of 1st June, 1857. This shall be reduced to fifty-eight [58] hours per week after 1st January, 1858.
II. The employment of children under the age of fifteen [15] years in mills and factories is forbidden.
a. All children not in employment are to receive an education, and shall be required to complete a primary education, and a secondary education up to the level of the collège.
b. The age of employed children is to be verified by an approved surgeon.
III. Ninety [90] minutes are to be allowed for meal breaks.
a. Meal breaks must take place at a reserved location within the mill or factory premises, as approved by an inspector.
IV. No work may be conducted at night, that is between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
V. Time keeping is to be made by a public clock, approved by an inspector.

Section Two: General concerns of safety

I. Every fly-wheel directly connected with the steam engine or water-wheel or other mechanical power, whether in the engine-house or not, and every part of a steam engine and water-wheel, and every hoist or teagle, near to which children or young persons are liable to pass or be employed, and all parts of the mill-gearing included in a factory, including power shafts, are to be securely fenced.
II. Women and children are not to be employed in the cleaning of moving machinery.
III. Accidental deaths must be reported to an approved surgeon and investigated.

a. A factory inspector must be notified of the results of all investigations.
IV. Mill and factory owners shall be responsible for cleaning their premises with lime at an interval no greater than every fourteen [14] months.
V. Thorough records regarding compliance with this Act must be maintained, and are to be made available to inspectors upon request.
VI. Local authorities are hereby charged with all powers of inspection.
VII. An abstract of this Act must be hung up in the factory so as to be easily read, and must as a minimum show: the names and addresses of the inspector and sub-inspector of the district; the certifying surgeon; the times for beginning and ending work; the amount of time and time of day for meals, and the location where meals are to be taken.

Law on the Licensing of Public Houses

I. The closing time for public houses shall be set at 11 p.m. in the country areas, and at midnight in the towns.
II. All victualers shall be required to obtain a license of operation from the local authority.
a. An abstract of this license, including the name of the licensee, must be displayed in an easily-accessible location on the licensed premises, where it may be read by patrons.
III. The content of all beers, wines and intoxicating liquors and spirits sold is to be regulated by inspectors of the local authority.

Law on the Pensions of the Civil Service

Section One: Qualification of those eligible to receive a pension

I. Civil servants are to be hereby entitled to the receipt of a pension upon the satisfaction of certain conditions of age and service, as outlined below.
II. The right to a pension is acquired after attainment of one's sixtieth year, and after having completed thirty [30] years of service.
III. Those who have been employed in active service are exempt from art. I, and shall instead acquire the right to a pension after attainment of their fifty-fifth year, and after having completed twenty-five [25] years of service.
a. Those considered as having been employed in active service are those who have been employed within the customs office, as inspectors of taxation, within the Royal and state parks, and within the postal service.
IV. Those who have been employed in the civil service outside of France are exempt from art. I, and shall instead acquire the right to a pension after attainment of their fiftieth year, and having completed fifteen [15] years of service.
V. Those who have been employed as ministers of state, councillors of state, members of the royal household, ambassadors or ministers plenipotentiary in the diplomatic corps, or as officers of the Légion d'Honneur are exempt from art. I, and are to acquire the right to a pension at the discretion of the state, of a value not exceeding twelve-thousand [12,000] francs per annum.

Section Two: On the value of the pensions

VI. The value of a pension is to be set at two-thirds of the average salary of a pensioner, as taken over the last six years of their employment
VII. A pension may not exceed six-thousand [6,000] francs per annum, nor descend below seven-hundred and fifty [750] francs per annum.

Section Three: Provision of pensions

VIII. Where right to a pension has not been established at the discretion of the state, the right to a pension is to be established by the local authorities of the prefecture in which a pensioner was employed.
IX. Provision of a pension is to be carried out by the local authorities of the prefecture where right to a pension has been established.

a. Where right to a pension has been established at the discretion of the state, provision of a pension is to be carried out by the state.

Last edited:
cWHkvvI.jpg

Jérôme thought back to Paris during those June days, they had just repelled the attack by the insurgents, mostly thanks to the 24 year old Corporal Émilien Dellanoy. Taking the orders to protect Saint-Sulpice to his heart he held back several attacks by the insurgents alone, not wanting to sacrifice his battered comrade at arms. But his heroism got the better of him, he got shot once in the chest, but ignored the pain and instead ran back to get hold of another musket and continue his defiant defence. He held the enemy aback, but soon his legs got taken off by a bullet, he crawled back and fired a last shot. A pair of his comrade in arms got a hand on him and dragged him back to the position, Jérôme rushed toward him. The soldiers gave laid him down to rest, and while the blood streamed out of his chest and leg he was conscious and all he asked for was smoke and something to rest his head on. All he could get was a cloth of some sort. Calmly he smoked the pipe one of the soldiers had given to him, while he gripped a tussock with his other hand. "Do not let them cross the Rue Dauphine (...) give my farewells to my wife and the little one. Take good care of them. Don't be sad. There is nothing to be afraid of", he said as he got more drowsy. The pipe fell out of his hand before his chest lifted and sunk on elast time.

Jérôme could never forget that touching scene, it both represented the spirit of the youth, heroism of an individual and the inexorable bloodbath of those days. He thought back to Émilien not as he reflected much over the June Days, instead yet another family tragedy had hit the Lécuyers. Among the children of Lothaire and Christine there was now only two living children left. Jean-Louis, the dearest twin of Jérôme, had departed for a trip to Egypt to consolidate their many trade deals in Egypt and Outremer. Now Jérôme had gotten reprots that Jean-Louis had fallen ill on his voyage to Egypt and fell victim before he could set his foot ashore these ancient sands. It hit Jérôme, and his mother, hard. In four years Jérôme had lost two of his brothers, 24 years earlier he had lost his sister. Only Marie-Louise remained now. Jérôme recalled that his father, in one of his drunken ramblings, had said a certain bishop was a sorcerer and cursed his family. Perhaps it was true, their flock had been culled and Jérôme was afraid that even though he survived his injury it would one day lead to a premature death - a fate that seemed to repeats itself among the Lécuyers. Perhaps in a cruel twist only his mother would survive them all.

But life had to move on. Jérôme was occupied with family duties. Armand his eldest son had just reached the age of 18 and Jérôme pressured him to apply for Saint-Cyr, it would make Jérôme a proud father to his oldest son attend to the very academy he himself attended to. Victurnien was a mere five years old, but Jérôme already planned for his future. Looking into the education of Joachim he got a comprehensive list of the various tutors and lectures he had recieved in Palais-Royale. However as Jérôme wanted the young "duke" to recieve proper classical education and schooling in liberalism, he realized he could not be confined to clerical and aristocratic tutors, he should not end up like the other aristocrats - and to a degree his father. Instead he should receive an education on equal terms with the other - middle classed - students. However he was conflicted wether or not he should be commissioned for military service, or focus on civillian life.

But what occupied Jérôme the most was his precious daughter's, his gemstone and his first born, romance with Henri de Rohan. He had suspected something was up, even catching her off guard as she tried to slip away. Indeed he had sent her and the Duchess on a trip to the Rohan estate to foster greater bonds between the families, to be on good terms with a dynasty close to powerful men was never wrong, however he could never have anticipated a romance between one of the Prince's sons and his daughter. Jérôme was conflicted in what he was to answer to the letter Henry had sent him. He had heard rumors that Henri was the runt of the family, he was skeptical that such a man should foster healthy sons for his daughter and his bloodline. However to marry into a prestigious noble family would be a major hallmark for his family and the future dynasty of Victurnien. Yet again Jérôme did not trust aristocrats.

((Private - @ThaHoward))

To Jérôme de Lécuyer,

I send you this letter in the hopes of making a request of you. I remember fondly the time spent with your daughter, Daphnée, while your family was visiting mine during their tour of Bretagne. Nothing delighted me more than partaking in engaging conversation with her and showing her the sights of my homeland. You are a most fortunate to have such a lovely woman as your daughter.

With such positive memories of Daphnée, I wish to ask your permission to accompany her out into the capital some time in the near future. Paris has much to offer in the way of cultural activities that would delight such an intelligent young woman. It would be my greatest honour to escort Daphnée to the Paris opera, if she would be willing. She is certain to enjoy such a delightful experience and I will ensure she has a wonderful time.

I pray that you may grant me this humble request so that I may be blessed with the wonderful presence of your beloved daughter Daphnée once more.

Sincerely,
Henri de Rohan

Henri de Rohan,

I thank you and your family for the hospitality your host showed to my family members.

Moreover I am humbled by your kind words to my daughter, however for your request to be granted I will need to see you in person so that you may detail what you may offer in "cultural activities".

In other words you are welcome to visit our family home and escort my beloved daughter, provided you meet me in person first.

Sincerely,
Jérôme de Lécuyer.

Auberjonois seconds the bill

It is long overdue that this nation has a public discussion on the efficacy of the current Inheritance laws. I believe that this bill will provide the avenue necessary for the French people and their legislative representatives to chart a course towards an enhanced inheritance law. One which balances the needs of all Frenchmen, whether they be social or economic with the humane duty of the state to ensure that the French People are given the tools to enhance their own lives.

Chapter 1. The Opening of Succession

Article 1. Succession is opened on the civil death of the deceased in whose question the property is to be distributed.

Article 2. In cases where several persons perish in an incident such as an accident or murder, where the time of death is indeterminable, the primary designated heir of the inheritance shall be assumed to have perished after the owner of the estates in question, which thereby qualifies the estates as the heir’s property on his time of death.​

Chapter 2. Eligibility of Heirs

Article 3. There shall be two ranks of heirs by law, legitimate children born in lawful marriage as the first rank, and children born naturally prior or post marriage as second rank. Children born from adulterous relationships shall have no legal claim or protection of property, rights of household.

Article 4. All children born in lawful marriage shall be considered legal heirs whom shall have first right to inheritance. In cases where there are no legitimate heirs, the natural born children shall assume the same rights as legitimate born children, obligations and protection as those born in wedlock.

Article 5. Male heirs shall always be considered superior to female heirs of their rank, thereby making them primary heirs. As such female heirs can only inherit when there are no male heirs left of their rank.

Article 6. Legitimate female heirs shall supersede the rights to inheritance over natural born male heirs.

Article 7. To be considered a natural born heir to the deceased, the child must be born either prior or post marriage of the deceased, the deceased must during his life time have acknowledged the child as his or her own, to at least three witnesses, one of which a member of the clergy, who can testify to the legitimacy of the parenthood of said child.

Article 8. Should a child not be able to prove to be natural born as outlined in Article 7, but should the child possess evidence either in the form of letters written and signed by the deceased, or any other form of contract which outlines the child of the deceased, then a legal court of France may issue a decree, confirming the status of the child as a natural born child of the deceased.​

Chapter 3. Non-eligible Heirs

Article 9. One is considered non-eligible for inheritance if he at the time of the inheritance, was not yet conceived, was a child with poor health and as such unlikely to live, has been declared civilly dead, or has been condemned a traitor to the Republic of France in a French court of law.

Article 10. Any action in which an heir purposely harms the deceased in a manner which caused his death, or long-term permanent injury is also considered non-eligible for inheritance, unless otherwise stated by the deceased where the deceased was considered in a sane state of mind.

Article 11. Should the heir have filed a false or unproven lawsuit against the deceased of which a major crime or accusation such as murder, slander, treasonous actions or any other action which would damage the deceased honour considerably and his social standing, shall also be considered non-eligible, unless provisions have been made under the same conditions of Article 10 by the deceased.

Article 12. Any parent may disown their child as legal heir, thus making them non-eligible, if the child has committed a grave offence either against their person or against the state. To do this, the heir in question must have been condemned by a law court of France, and the parent in question be of sound mind.

Article 13. Any heir who while fully aware of the passing of the deceased; either by natural causes, disease or murder, and has not reported it to the nearest local official, either to state or clergy, but instead has hidden it and is above the age of sixteen years, shall by default be considered non-eligible.

Article 14. Any child of an heir which is considered non-eligible shall still be considered eligible as an heir themselves, as long as they were conceived prior to the action which has made their own parent non-eligible for inheritance.​

Chapter 4. Testaments and Wills

Article 15. Any man in France, having reached the age of twenty-one, may write a testament which shall decree and define the future of his estates and assets in case of his death, and he shall henceforth in this chapter be defined as the testator.

Article 16. No testator may grant more than one fourth of his estate, assets or property to any person or persons outside of his own eligible heirs, or the eligible heirs of his eligible heirs which is outlined by Articles 3-6 & Articles 49-50.

Article 17. Any items which is bequeathed in the will, which has been stolen or otherwise not rightfully belonging to the testator, regardless if he is wilfully aware or not, cannot be bequeathed but must return to its original owner.

Article 18. Any landed property, items, goods or assets which has been bequeathed as gifts by a parent or grandparent, who are still alive at the time of the death of the testator, in cases where the testator has no legal heir to inherit, shall revert to the family member who has bequeathed the item, and cannot be passed on in the testament.

Article 19. Any testator may decree that any person, regardless of birth, rank or fortune may be presented as the legatee or multiple to his legacy which includes the testator’s estates and other earthly property and remains, as long as it does not conflict with any previous paragraphs. For the legatee to be considered the testator’s legal heir(s), with all rights belonging to them in the court of the law.

Article 20. The testator may divide his property and assets in any way which he so decides, as long as it does not conflict with the previous mentioned articles in this law.​

Chapter 5. Cases of Irregular Succession

Article 21. In cases where no will or testament has been made by the deceased, the primary heirs shall be considered all eligible heirs, as previously outlined in this law under those conditions.

Article 22. In cases as outlined by Article 21, the eligible heirs of the deceased may divide the property, assets and estates of the deceased according to their own wishes. Once divided, both written and verbal consent shall be given in person in front of a French court of law, after which a judge shall assent to the division and confirm its legality. Once done, it shall not be altered.

Article 23. Should the eligible heirs of the deceased not be able to divide the property in a satisfactory manner for all parties involved, and at the request of one party, a judge of France shall preside over the divisions of the estates, property and assets of the deceased, and divide them among the eligible heirs in accordance with the principle of equality.

Article 24. In cases where there are no children by law who are entitled to inherit, the deceased can decree by testament his heir or heirs to be any man or woman whom he may so choose in accordance to his desires regardless of their birth.

Article 25. Should the deceased have died without legitimate heir as defined by this law, as well as leave no testament, then the inheritance shall form as follows: it shall first revert back to the deceased parents. Should both parents have predeceased him, it shall instead go to the deceased’s siblings, then to their children, followed by the siblings of the deceased's father. Should the siblings or paternal siblings either not exist or also have predeceased the deceased, the inheritance shall be assigned to the deceased grandfather, then to grandfather's siblings. Should all of these have predeceased the deceased, and should the deceased have left no heir, the property, assets and estates of the deceased reverts to the state. This can only occur through the paternal line of the deceased.​

Chapter 6. The Renunciation of Inheritance

Article 26. Any man or woman in France may renounce any inheritance which rightfully belongs to him or her, either by the right of birth or as a legatee. This must be done before the opening of the will, in front of a judge of France, and once done cannot be repudiated after the contents of the inheritance has been known.

Article 27. Should the primary heir renounce their inheritance, then their subsequent children have no rights to the inheritance either. Any child already born will still be considered a legal heir regardless of their parent’s renunciation.

Article 28. Should the primary legal heir renounce their inheritance, the inheritance shall pass onto the next legal heir, if all eligible heirs and offspring of the deceased renounce their inheritance, then the inheritance shall follow as defined by Article 25.​

Chapter 7. The Acceptance of Inheritance

Article 29. Before the opening of the testament, the legal and potential heirs or legatee(s), must inform the reader of the testament that they accept the position of legal heir. The reader of the testament must be a judge, prefect or an ordained priest of the Catholic Church within the province of which the deceased primarily lived. Should all three be unable to fulfill this duty, then a judge may appoint a representative in their stead.

Article 30. Upon the acceptance as legal heir or legatee, the heir takes responsibility for all assets, property or other items bequeathed by the deceased as well as any debt incurred by the deceased.

Article 31. Should there be multiple heirs to the deceased, then the debt owed by the deceased or testator, will be split accordingly in proportion to what is inherited by each benefactor in accordance to Article 22 and Article 23.

Article 32. The main benefactor of each will and testament also takes on the responsibility of acting as the head of the household of the testator or deceased, whether the heir or benefactor be the head of the household regardless of this is irrelevant. The responsibilities here within shall be outlined in Articles 33-43.​

Chapter 8. The Rights and Definitions of the Household of the Deceased and Testator

Article 33. The household of the deceased and testator is defined as the immediate family of the deceased and testator. This includes any other heirs of the body who are acknowledged by law to the deceased as well as parents or grandparents of the deceased.

Article 34. The parents and grandparents of the deceased shall not be the responsibility of the benefactor or heir of the deceased, if the deceased is not the primary heir and future head of household to said parents or grandparents.

Article 35. Under Article 8, the household in cases where the deceased has left legitimate heirs to inherit, shall have no obligations to those siblings who are not also born in wedlock, if any such exist, unless they have lived as siblings in the same household as the deceased of a period no less than ten years during the life the deceased.

Article 36. In cases where members of the household are over the age of fifty, and unable to provide for themselves, the head of the household must provide for them to have an acceptable standard of living, within the means of the head of the household.

Article 37. It is the responsibility of the head of the household to ensure proper and good marriages for all daughters of the household to ensure their future.

Article 38. The head of the household shall be considered the legal guardian responsible for the welfare and future prospects of any member of the household who is not yet of age.

Article 39. Following Article 37, it is furthermore the responsibility of the head of the household to provide education and prospects to any male member of the household, or give them a trade of which they in the future can provide for themselves with within the means of the head of the household.

Article 40. Any adult member of the household who does not stand to inherit any material possessions which may secure said member’s future is entitled to a one-time payment to be decided either by the family in front of the provincial court, or by the court itself, or be paid a yearly payment over the course of several years of the same amount.

Article 41. Article 40 is not valid for any member of the household, whom the parents have already, either through securing a trade, property or education for their children, provided them with the prospect of a future, in which they can provide for themselves.

Article 42. Any male child upon coming of age may instead of being provided for by the head of the household of the deceased, request that they be given a payment equal to that which they would have received at the time of passing of the deceased.

Article 43. Article 42 does not apply if the head of the household, between the coming of age of said person and the passing of the deceased, has gone bankrupt or otherwise destitute and as such cannot pay said amount. Article 43 furthermore does not apply if the payment of such an amount, due to financial difficulties, would put the health and safety of the household a whole at risk.​

Chapter 9. The Wills and Testaments of Women

Article 44. Any woman may with the permission and blessing of her husband write a will and testament under the guidance of Articles 15-20. Should she not receive the blessing of her husband, her inheritance shall occur as outlined by Articles 21-25.

Article 45. Should a woman under paragraph Article 44 not be married, then the responsibility falls to the head of her household.

Article 46. Should there be no husband or head of household as defined by Article 44 or Article 45 then she is to consult her closest male of kin. Should none of these be present then she may deposit it as she wishes.

Article 47. Should either her husband or head of household prove to be of no sane mind, she may ask either her mother or son permission to write a will.​

Chapter 10. The Freedom of the Testator to his Procession

Article 48. No testator or head of household may give away what would infringe upon the inheritance of his legal heirs as defined under the sections of Articles 15-25.

Article 49. The following exceptions to Article 48 would be in forms of dowries for the daughters of the households, or minor property grants which would not affect the longevity or the financial stability of the main estate or assets. Another acceptable exception is the payment of tuitions for male members of the household, in their education or gathering of a trade to secure both their and their future family prospects.

Article 50. Any head of household or testator may grant the primary heir landed property at his discretion throughout the course of his life.​

Chapter 11. The Guardian of an Heir or Legatee

Article 51. Should the primary heir or legatee not be of age at the time of inheritance and as such be in need of a guardian, the guardian may not in his action as guardian grant himself part of the inheritance, or gifts received from it.

Article 52. Any heir who has not yet reached the age of seventeen may not write a will of his own, as long as the only benefactors are his legal heirs of his body, and if no such exist the inheritance shall default as outlined by Article 18.

Article 53. At the age twenty-one, the heir of the deceased may include his guardian in his own will as long as it does not conflict with Articles 15-20.

Article 54. Should any guardian be found guilty of theft of inheritance, then he is to be confined to prison for no less than five years and no more than 10. The guardian shall also be charged with returning the stolen items, property or assets.

Article 55. The guardian may however withdraw reasonable deposits from the inheritance to pay for the upkeep of household and or maintenance of living costs of the heir.​

Chapter 12. Ineligible Grants of Inheritance

Article 56. Any grant of inheritance which is made under threat of injury, prosecution or other forms of bodily or mental harm is invalidated.

Article 57. Any grant of inheritance given to a member of the clergy during the final hours of the deceased as gifts for kindness or action taken, or in return for indulgence, is declared null and void.

Article 58. Any grant of inheritance given to a physician or any other person who provide medical assistance to the deceased in his final hours, or demands parts of the inheritance in return for treatment, is declared null and void.​

Chapter 13. The Writing of Testaments

Article 59. No man who is not of sane mind may write a testament.

Article 60. For any testament, there must be a minimum of four witnesses of respectable reputation, to attest that the testament is the will of the person in question and not forged or made against his will.

Article 61. The four witnesses must not stand to inherit more than a total of fifty francs of value from the will of the deceased, or their witness be invalidated.

Article 62. An ordained Priest, along with another member of the clergy, may stand in on behalf of the four witnesses, should four witnesses of reliable reputation not be possible to attest to the will of the testator.

Article 63. Any direct issue of the body of the person in question shall not be applicable to Article 61 if there be at least two other witnesses whom can attest to the validity of the will as outlined by Article 60 and 61, or an ordained priest of the Catholic Church.

Article 64. Any citizen may engage another citizen for the writing of his will.

Article 65. No citizen, who is writing a testament and will on behalf of another, may himself be eligible for gain from the inheritance, lest he be a direct issue of the body of the testator.

Article 66. Any citizen writing the will and testament of another citizen cannot stand as witnesses to the validity of the will and testament lest he be an ordained priest of the Catholic Church.

Article 67. In cases in which a third party shall write the will of a citizen, it shall be the duty of the third party to ensure that the testator is in full understanding of the contents of the testament in question, and it shall be the duty of the witnesses to attest that this action has come to pass.

Article 68. Any will and testament must have the signature of the testator in question to be lawful.​

Chapter 14. Depositing of the Will and Testament

Article 69. Any will and testament must be deposited with a law court of France for it to be considered the lawful will and testament of the testator.

Article 70. The will and testament must be deposited by the testator in person, along with the four witnesses, who shall all attest to the will and testament before an official of the French State.

Article 71. In cases where, either due to the infirmity of the testator, illness or other circumstances preventing the testator from delivering his will and testament in person, an ordained priest of the Catholic Church may do so on his behalf, along with the signatures of the witnesses, whom the priest, and therefore the Church, shall attest to their credibility and their respectable reputation.​

Chapter 15. Last Wills and Testaments Given in the Final Hours

Article 72. Any man, who fulfills the requirements of Article 15 and Articles 59-68, and who has not prior to this written a will and testament, or desires to alter it on his deathbed, may do so if given the approval of the physician attending to his person, as well as that of an ordained priest who shall give the last sacrament.

Article 73. In cases as outlined in Article 72, the physician and priest must both stand witness before a judge of France, to attest to the will of the testator, along with other members of the household or witnesses to the death of the testator likewise attesting to the will of the testator.

Article 74. Any will and testament given in the final hours of the deceased, must be written upon a document, with clear intent and signature of the testator, with no oral account of the desires of the testator's being lawful before a French court of law.​

Chapter 16. The Reading of a Will and Testament

Article 75. The reading of the last will and testament of any citizen may not occur any later than a month postmortem of the testator.

Article 76. The reading of any will and testament must be done by a judge of a French Court of Law, at which the family of the testator, along with any other heirs shall be present.

Article 77. In such cases where a judge, either due to other duties, difficulties or otherwise is indisposed, he may delegate the responsibility of the reading of the last will and testament of a citizen to an official in the employment of the French State or an ordained priest of the Catholic Church.

Article 78. In cases where the responsibility shall be delegated away, there must be at least one clerk appointed by the judge, employed by a French Court of law, to represent the judge in question. In cases where this shall prove impossible or difficult, the local mayor or a member General Council, District Council or Municipal Council may take the place of the clerk.​

Announcement to Paris Bourse

Listing of Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild SA

Jacques de Rothschild and Leopold Louis-Dreyfus are pleased to announce a joint venture which harnesses the transport efficacy of the Ligne du Nord Ch.d.F with the agricultural arbitrage of Louis-Dreyfus to offer to France’s rural community the opportunity to enjoy exclusive transport of produce from the farm door to the port, and financial services comparable to a city merchant.

Louis-Dreyfus Rothschild SA (LDR) will be establishing agents’ offices in all major provincial cities, with the agents to travel into the countryside to service the local Agricultural Co-operatives and any farmers who wish to sell their produce at better prices than the Co-operatives can offer.

Backed by the financial resources of the Rothschild Freres, LDR agents are authorised to operate credit account for vendors, crediting earnings from the sale of produce to FDR against loans and lines of credit which LDR can extend to farmers looking to purchase more land or but equipment and fertiliser to improve their yields. Significant overdrafts can be provided to provide funds for significant capital improvements, secured by equitable mortgages over property to value of 80% of the loan.

Furthermore, the LDR agents will be familiar with their local territories, and can provide services as agricultural estate agents, to help value properties for prospective vendors, arbitrate on valuations for any Government compulsory acquisitions, and negotiate on behalf of vendors and purchasers who are looking to take advantage of our local knowledge to get the best deal on their property.

LDR will provide services for the export and import of bulk produce, by rail and port, which will open the doors of Europe to France’s produce, and allow our people to enjoy the best prices in acquiring produce from other countries. Offices in Cherbourg will service Great Britain, Strasbourg will service Germany, Marseilles will service the Mediterranean, and Bordeaux will service the Americas and Asia.

Script is available for investment. Applications may be collected from the offices of Rothschild Freres in Paris and the offices of Louis Dreyfus SA in Strabourg.

************************************************************************************************************************

(Letter to Comte du Rhone @Otto of england ))

Dear Comte

I am most pleased by your acceptance. The Alliance will greatly benefit from your insight and experience of the conditions in Algerie.

I also note your advice that you are to return to France in the near future. The cause of the removal of such an esteemed warrior from an area of ongoing agitation is astounding, to say the least. I can only hope that we do not suffer any reversals in fortune following your departure as such omens will hang heavily upon the Government responsible for removing the bulwark of our defence in North Africa.

In any event, I will be happy to make arrangements for Rothschild
Freres
to provide a line of credit to you and your family to assist in your transition back to Paris.

On a more commercial note, I would also appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss the possibility of drawing upon your expertise in the field in another venture which I am pursuing. I am planning on setting up on armaments factory in Lille, to take advantage of the steel produce by my factories in that area, and in anticipation of the obsession for rearmament which seems to have lately overtaken the Government after so many years of neglect since the fall of the Republic. In addition to existing models, I would appreciate your input with our artisans to develop more modern small arms and artillery pieces. Your experience in Algeria will be of immense assistance to give us an edge over the more theoretical experiments of our rivals.

I wish you a pleasant voyage back to Paris, and await your company at your earliest convenience.

I remain, dear Sir, your devoted servant,

Jacques de Rothschild

His Majesty’s government makes the following proposals:

Law on the Reduction of Cereal Freight

It is determined that:
§1. There is to be established a cap on the freight price for cereals within the territory of France.
§2. This cap shall amount to 50% of the current freight price as of 1856.
§3. The cap is adjustable to market conditions, while maintaining the ratio of 50% below market price.

Law on the Concessions for Portuary Investments

It is determined that:
§1. The concession model currently established for railways shall be expanded to port infrastructure
§2. The length of port concessions shall follow a standard of 50 years.
§3. The alternative of a portuary concession can be introduced for any large-scale projects to improve the current infrastructure in existing harbours in continental France and Algeria

Proposals on Military Reform and Reorganisation

Article One – Of the armies and troupes de marine.
I. An Institut de guerre, comprised of high-ranking officers appointed by the King shall be organized, which will be tasked with the continued study of military tactics, organization, and operation. It shall be required to present an annual report on the state of the French Army, including recommendations for improvements, to the King and whosoever he selects to be party to that report.

II. The Institut de guerre shall maintain a close relationship with any extant or future military schools in France, helping to develop a modernized curriculum while benefiting from the important role of military education in improving the capacity of theInstitut de guerre in achieving its core objectives.

III. Funds shall be released for the full standardization of modern armaments throughout the armies and the troupes de marine, with the distribution of those weapons to the military being facilitated by the release of relevant training manuals by the Institut de guerre.

Article Two – Of the navies and their auxiliaries.
I. The renovation of the Marine Royale shall be funded in part by a program of private commission, by which individuals may contribute a portion of their wealth to the construction of a new vessel for use by the Marine Royale. A Royally-appointed Fundraising Commission will be organized under the Ministry of Finance, such that the system of private commissioning will prove effective.

II. A census of ships in the Marine Royale shall be conducted by the Minister of the Navy and the Colonies, determining which are capable of being retrofitted for steam capacities. Those which are not shall be decommissioned and sold for scrap immediately following the commissioning of their replacements.

III. The Marine Royale shall be tasked with the fulfillment of all its prior duties, as well as the protection of French commerce in both times of peace and war, the halting of smuggling, and the exercise of French authority at sea. The Marine Royale shall be obligated to pursue the policies of the Kingdom of France, including the achievement of the ends deemed necessary for the national defense.

IV. The Ministry of the Navy and Colonies shall be authorized any additional necessary funds to pursue the construction, modernization, and renovation of ships, not totaling more than 80 million francs, which are to be used in the execution of the aforementioned obligations and duties of the Marine Royale. The new ships shall be constructed in French seaports with materials sourced with a preference from France.

V. Four new frigates utilizing screw propulsion shall be built, as well as eight screw corvettes. The standard armaments for newly-constructed French naval vessels will be comprised of a variable combination of 24pdr long guns, 30pdr Paixhans guns, 42pdr carronades, and 18pdr long guns.

VI. The frigates shall be named Louis XVII, Louis XVIII, Charles X, and Bourbon.

VII. Ten new troopships shall be also be constructed, which will each possess a three gun armament.

VIII. A Marine auxiliaire will be authorized in times of crisis, permitting mercantile vessels to be utilized for the achievement of the basic duties of protecting commerce, opposing smuggling, and defending France during times of immense conflict – during which the Marine Royale might find itself indisposed or under-equipped for the immense burden it could face.

Article Three – General provisions.
I. Pay for soldiers and sailors shall be increased by eight percent, to be introduced by 1858, with an additional four percent increase for officers without commission.

II. A new system of regimental and naval uniforms will be introduced, which shall emphasize the history and unique roles of the various units which comprise the French military. Two million francs will be authorized for re-equipping those enlisted individuals subject to the changes.

His Majesty’s government makes the following proposal:

Law on the Grants for the Land Programme of 1856

On the interest of increasing the productivity of the French countryside, the Chamber authorizes the grant of 100 million francs for the Land Program of 1856, under the following directives:

Part I. On the use of the grants

§1. The Ministry of Agriculture and Trade shall use the grants to establish a fund for the financing of the Land Program of 1856
§2. The activities of the fund are to be reported monthly through the official press, for public transparency

Part II. On the relationship between the Unions Agricoles and the Ministry

§1. The Ministry, as the supervising and funding entity in regards to the Unions Agricoles, has the ultimate power of decision over their proceedings
§2. Although such power may be delegated in ordinary issues, the Ministry reserves the right of final decision over the land deals taken by the Unions Agricoles, through their respective board of directors
§3. The board of directors has the autonomy to carry on minor tasks associated with the land deals, as long as they follow the disposed Ministry directive

Part III. On the restrictions imposed on the land deals

§1. Each deal must be conducted in full legality and respect for property rights

§2. The plots of land acquired by the Unions must fulfill the following conditions:
§2.1 Be larger than 30 hectares in their totality, to ensure efficient division of the plot for reselling
§2.2 Be defined as unproductive, that is, a plot whose output is valued under the expenses taken in its production
§2.3 have been in possession of the landlord for over 4 years, to avoid speculation

§3. Upon completion of the deal, the land is to be parcelled out in plots of 5 hectares each and resold to local smallholders, hereby defined as farmers with ownership of less than 20 hectares of land
§3.1 To benefit from the deal, the smallholder must be associated to his local Union Agricole

§4. The Ministry reserves the right to:
§4.1 Veto any deal which does not fulfill the dispositions of Article 2
§4.2 Hold inquiries as to the following of these policy directives
§4.3 Impose a penalty of temporary closure upon Unions which do not fulfill the dispositions of Articles 1 and 3, which can be followed by the appropriate civil charges upon individuals

His Majesty’s government sponsors the following proposal:

Law on the Standardisation of Credit Unions

Article I. The Ministry of Finance shall establish a National Credit Union Commission to encourage, regulate and establish communal and, where pre-existing capital lacks, departmental credit unions, in the communes and departments of France.
Article II. Credit Unions shall be based in the nearest Postal Offices to the credit union’s users.
Article III. Each Credit Union is owned by its members and work for the dual goals of the benefit of its members and the local area.
Article IV. Each member of the Credit Union shall have one share and one vote
Article V. Individuals and Organizations in the region wherein the local Credit Union is established and based, henceforth referred to local individuals and organizations, are permitted to open a deposit account in the nearest credit union.
Article VI. Yearly interest is added to each account, at a rate decided by the management of the Credit Union
Article VII. Local individuals and organizations are permitted to open an investment account at their nearest Credit Union.
Article VIII. Credit Unions have the duty to invest in the area in which their users live, or if there are not enough investment opportunities, the area that will result in the highest legal amount of profit.
Article IX. Credit Unions may establish Business links with For-profit private businesses as regulated by the National Credit Union Commission
Article XI. Credit Unions are to be encouraged to work with other credit Unions via financial incentives from the National Credit Union Commission, to be set by the ministry of Finance.
Article XII. Credit Unions are to be encouraged to work with Self governing organisations, such as Union Agricoles. They are to allow for loans to be given in materials, with funds being used to buy seeds or other products directly from these organisations.
Article XII. Local individuals and organisations are to be encouraged to seek loans from Credit Unions when necessary.
Article XIII. Credit Unions have the duty to limit the risks of their users.
Article XIV. Credit Unions are to provide the facilities for local inhabitants and organisations to set up clearing accounts.

Messieurs, I believe that if we are to name these new vessels after our most recent late kings, then we should include all of them. I thus propose the following amendment to the Proposals on Military Reform and Reorganization.

Article Two – Of the navies and their auxiliaries.

VI. The frigates shall be named Louis XVII, Louis XVIII, Charles X, and Philippe VII.

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

Auberjonois rises in the chamber

Can the government please describe, what consultations they have had with the senior officers of the Armed forces before they arrived at this 'reform package'? Which army general told them they believed the fundamental flaw in the French army wasn't the lack of funding of the government? The archaic system of leadership and organisation? The lack of upward mobility among men of merit? Instead, it was that the Quartermasters of each corps had too easy of a job. Why have one uniform they must provide to each rank, when instead they can have 10! Why have one individual army, when you can have 75 separate armies with shades stemming from British red to Teuton Black. This reform package is so utterly backwards I must question which man of experience, if any was consulted. I would happily hear their reasoning, and the reasoning of the Ministry for the need for logistical decrepititude among our already over stretched armed forces.

Letter to Colonel Lécuyer (Private - @ThaHoward)
From Capitaine Jean-Michel Antoine de la Vallée

Monsieur Colonel de Lécuyer

I stand with immense joy in my heart, at having received a letter from one such esteemed soldier as yourself. I also recall with a light heart the meeting of Toulon, in which we were both present, even if the Governments inability so far to act upon our declaration finds me worried for the future of French military might.

It would be my honour and a pleasure to accept your invitation to the Château de Bagnolet, where I am certain we might both stand to learn much from each other, as we discuss the present and future of our armed forces.

Respectfully

Capitaine Jean-Michel Antoine de la Vallée

Ordonnance du roi sur l'expansion de l'armée royale française (1856)

Seeing that the size of the French Royal Army is not sufficient to protect French interests, we hereby declare:

Article I

§1 the French Royal Army shall be expanded with another army corps.
§2 The new army corps shall be named XIII Corps.
§3 The XIII Corps' headquarters shall be located in or near the town of Verdun-sur-Meuse
§4 The size of the XIII shall match the other army corps in the French Royal Army. [1]
§5 The commanding officer of the XIII corps shall be François Achille Bazaine

Signed
3BZJ6OA.png

Counter-signed
IfnoZRR.png

[1] Each army corps is of ten brigades, four brigades of infantry, four brigades of artillery, one brigade of engineers and engineer accessories, and one brigade cavalry ((in-game anyway))

His Royal Highness,
the duc d'Orléans

wl2pWgR.jpg

Philippe d'Orléans, by right of birth duc de Orléans as well as Prince Royal to Orléanists or duc de Bordeaux to Legitimists, was the grandson of Philippe VII. He became heir apparent in 1842. Attempts to proclaim him Philippe VIII in the aftermath of the February Revolution of 1850 came to nothing and he spent three years in exile in Spain and the United Kingdom. His mother, Hélène de Mecklembourg-Schwerin, maintained an outsized influence on his early upbringing which was only tempered by the influence of his uncle, the duc de Nemours, who preferred a more pragmatic approach to restore his nephew to power. Such efforts culminated in the Third Restoration which saw the senior and junior lines of the House of France reconcile.

His education as heir apparent was more influenced by the prevailing needs of his state. His five primary tutors--Mgr. Felix Dupanloup, Jacques Regnier, Albert prince de Broglie, Louis duc de Blacas d'Aulps, and Pierre-Sébastien Laurentie--were divided in political loyalties but each highly qualified men of arts and letters. The competing agendas of court taught the young heir the value of measuring his words and of patience. One area where tutors would need to give way to the classroom was in the area of military science. Engineering, ballistics, and other aspects of modern warfare required the heir attend classes at the Collège Henri IV and later the École Polytechnique. This area of his training mirrored that of his uncles closely. Yet perhaps his biggest influence remained his grandfather the King; his legacy towered over him and the Orléans talent for being lead by renaissance men propelled the young heir to match or even exceed the feats of his predecessors.

The reigning King would also be a major influence. Henri V had subsumed much of his personal preference in politics to retake the throne that the heir's grandfather had taken from him. While Philippe sensed that the King was not a man to forgive or to forget, he was able to control his emotions to build the sort of consensus needed to govern the nation. He was also an excellent hunter and sportsman and if not for his leg probably could have kept up with outdoorsmen half his age. In terms of personal ideology, the King and his uncle Nemours were more or less of the same mind but noting Nemours' clashes with his family on ideological matters in the past, the heir resolved to keep a respectful distance from such battles until he won his own share of fame, glory, and reputation.

As he entered his twenties thoughts of the military service expected of him entered his mind. Soon he would apply to the Minister of War for a posting in Algeria, where his uncle Nemours held sway as Governor-General. There he would apply the lessons of his tutors and the classroom to advance the cause of civilization in North Africa.

Last edited:
Proposals on Military Reform and Reorganisation amended

Article One – Of the armies and troupes de marine.
I. An Institut de guerre, comprised of high-ranking officers appointed by the King shall be organized, which will be tasked with the continued study of military tactics, organization, and operation. It shall be required to present an annual report on the state of the French Army, including recommendations for improvements, to the King and whosoever he selects to be party to that report.

II. The Institut de guerre shall maintain a close relationship with any extant or future military schools in France, helping to develop a modernized curriculum while benefiting from the important role of military education in improving the capacity of theInstitut de guerre in achieving its core objectives.

III. Funds shall be released for the full standardization of modern armaments throughout the armies and the troupes de marine, with the distribution of those weapons to the military being facilitated by the release of relevant training manuals by the Institut de guerre.

IV.All current French Army Officers who haven't graduated from an approved Officer School under the rank of Captain, unless granted a specific exemption from their Regimental Commanding Officer will be required to take a 3 month course at one of the Army’s officer schools, in their field of specialisation

V. All Military schools are to expand their annual intake to accommodate the associated increase in applicants

VI. All fees, direct and indirect are to be removed, with accommodation, supplies and uniforms to be provided free of charge to the recruits. All men may apply for a means tested Bursary to cover for other expenses.

VII. All Officers are to be able to apply for a means-tested annual Bursary to cover Uniform and cost of living expenses.

VIII.All Non Commissioned officers (Defined as above the rank of Private but below the rank of second lieutenant), are to be allowed to apply for a position in one of the military academies, all of which are to hold at least 10% of spots open to Non Commissioned Officers.

IX. An application must include proof of at least 5 years of active and meritorious service as a Non-Commissioned Officer. A letter of recommendation from either a Company or Battalion Commander. As well as proof of literacy. All applications that meet this criteria are to be considered by the Military Academies admission board.

X. All future Officers must receive education from one of the French Military Academies as a prerequisite for Commissioning. Exemptions can be made at the behest of Minister of War, with commissioning becoming before the completion of a relevant course, under the understanding that either a) The Officer will return to finish the course within the next 5 years, unless receiving an exemption by their Regiment Commanding Officer, or b) The officer will complete a 3 month Course as described by Article 1

XI. There will be 5 million Francs allocated to the French Army for the specific use of reforming the Intendence’s Battalion d’administration into a more flexible and efficient administrative body

XII. There will be 3 million Francs allocated to the French army for the specific use of reforming the train des équipages into a modern organisation capable of meeting the contemporary French Army’s logistical requirement

XIII. The wages of all Non commissioned personnel of the French armed forces will be increased by 10%, to be reevaluated every third year. All commissioned personnel will have their wages increased by 3% if below the rank of colonel if in the army or Captain if in the navy. If above this position their pay will be increased by 1%

XIV. All servicemen in the French Armed forces upon the honourable competition of their period of service or being discharged due to medical or organisational reasons will be given a Monthly pension equalling 2/5ths of their final pay. Which can be received at either their place or residence or nearest military depot

XV. All Servicemen’s widows in the French Armed forces will receive a pension equalling 1/5th of their husband’s pay when they were declared deceased, to be received in monthly stipends received either at the nearest military depot, or their place of residence.

Article II. Removed
Article III. Removed

I. A census of ships in the Marine Royale shall be conducted by the Minister of the Navy and the Colonies, determining which are capable of being retrofitted for steam capacities. Those which are not shall be decommissioned and sold for scrap following the commissioning of their replacements.

II. The Ministry of Navy and the Colonies will conduct a comprehensive review of French shipbuilding facilities. To present a plan to the legislative authorities of the nation of France for any necessary modernisations and expansions.

III. The ministry of Navy and the colonies will be provided with the funds to Construct Two 1st rate ships of the lines armed with 130 Cannons, capable of travelling under steam or sail.

IV. The Ministry will also be provided with the funds to construct Three 2nd rate ships, modelled after the ‘Napoleon’.

V. The Ministry will be provided with the funds to construct Five Frigates, powered with modern steam engines and carrying 50 guns.

VI. The Ministry will be provided with the funds to construct Two corvettes, powered with modern steam engines and carrying 20 guns.

VII. The Legislature will resubmit the building plan provided to the Ministry of the navy and colonial affairs, every financial year for debate and evaluation. With the aim to lay down the ships described by the building plan within the financial year, to complete within the next two years. Funding will be enough to lay down and complete the previously described ships.

Last edited:
0UyWHB8.png

"Speeches from the Chamber of Deputies, 1856-1858"
"Monsieur le président,

"While I can not speak on behalf of His Majesty's Government, it is my conviction that the Honorable Deputy from Aisne has levied a barrage of criticisms, not one of which is a truly legitimate concern. The obfuscation of his argument rests primarily in a series of critiques which seem to ignore both our recent military history and that of prior eras. Indeed, contrary to his musings, it is obvious that these proposals not only has the approval of esteemed military officers, but will serve to strengthen our armies and navies and promote more innovative methods of organizational reform.

"Indeed, it would be my hope, Monsieur, that one could recognize a council including two very esteemed military commanders as being fit to develop and approve of military reforms wherever necessary. That this may not reflect perfectly a junior officer's vision for the French military is understandable, however, which is why the proposals emphasize the creation of an Institut de guerre, tasked with addressing any issues which may face our armies now or in the future. How it is that an institution designed specifically to promote coordinated reform does not help achieve organizational modernization is beyond any comprehension.

"It has become the consensus of France that military reform be emphasized in a fashion which will aim to help soldiers, sailors, and officers alike in fulfilling their duties to His Majesty. What we have here is not simply the status quo, as the Honorable Deputy suggests. It will directly raise the wages of our soldiers and sailors, as well as providing a coordinated structure within which we can expand and further develop a strong, advanced military. Yet there are some in this Chamber who are more focused on minutiae than the basic needs of the Monarchy. Such a prospect is a both alarming and disappointing.

"As for the other matter, it has been the fashion of our armies to wear a great multitude of uniforms, often reflecting the unique service and histories of the units to which they belong. I do not believe one will find a hussar who wishes to wear the same uniform as a light infantryman, and I doubt even more that one will find the Zouaves glad to abandon their beloved uniforms in favor of some arbitrary standard. If it shall be in the interests of the Army to wear uniforms which do not show the distinctions of their regiments, there is nothing in the proposal which would inhibit such a resolution.

"The facts of the proposals laid out before us are that they have come from a Ministry with prominent military voices present, that they do serve to promote a more reformed and effective organizational system for the Army and the troupes de marine, and that it is by this proposal that we shall see a substantial increase in the pay afforded to the men who serve the Monarchy. Such individuals form an important component of our government's capacity to not only defend our borders, but also to engage abroad, and I applaud the Ministry for recognizing this.

"On this matter we should not have substantial discord, for the well-being of France comes from the well-being of her military. The current Ministry has thus-far recognized the more important needs of the French people and have demonstrated this not only by their support for these measures, but also by their willingness to confront certain other pressing issues of our time. I hope that they shall continue on a course which will ensure a more equitable and joyous reality for all those who live in this nation.

"Merci."

SYLVAIN DE VIVIERS,
Deputy for Ardèche