• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yearzero

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Aug 13, 2014
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
Hello everyone,something of a long time lurker here (And once in a while poster) and this here is my first AAR,titled Revenge of the Dragon,here are my goals for this AAR.

- Reunify China into a whole country once again.
- Rid the yoke of the foreign powers over China,first the Japanese,and then the western powers,and Sinkiang cannot be allowed to go Soviet.
- Turn China into a first-class power and the dominant power in East Asia which means Tanks (At some point,not a immediate priority),Rockets,Nukes,Infrastructure and (Resource-permitting) Industry,a capable Air Force and Navy are pretty much mandatory too.
- Preferably, I would like to stay independent,but depending on how world events play out, I may consider aligning to Comintern (As long as Sinkiang is Chinese) or even Axis (If i keep Japan from firing Marco Polo by massing lots of divisions on the border and attacking first)
- I have a tendency to go overboard on my Navy,sometimes to the detriment of the situation on land,but I'll try not to be building half a dozen SH-BB's or CV's while the Japanese are marching on Nanking...

Chapters

Chapter 2: Chinese Rearmament
Chapter 3: Civil War
Chapter 4: Uneasy Peace
Chapter 5: Second Sino-Japanese War
Chapter 6: The Manchurian Capitulation
Chapter 7: Japan Has Declined
Chapter 8: Prelude to Downfall Part 1: China's Relatively Peaceful Rise
Chapter 9: Prelude to Downfall Part 2: The War at Sea
Chapter 10: Downfall
Chapter 11: The New Order of Things in East Asia
Chapter 12: The Last Prelude to War
Chapter 13: The Dragon and the Lion
Chapter 14: The Plight of the Lion: The Invasion of British India & The Battle(s) of(f) Nauru
Chapter 14.1: The Zheng He Plan
Chapter 15: The Plight of the Lion Part 2: The Fall of India & Oceania
Chapter 16: The Plight of the Lion Part 3: The Royal Navy's Darkest Hour
Chapter 17:

Introduction/Chapter 1: 1 January 1936

The Chinese people and nation enter the new year with a new determination,long has China enriched the world with her knowledge and ingenuity,yet the world's powers has done nothing but exploit China's weakness to strengthen themselves in their competition against each other,while China has suffered much political,economic and military strife as a result,leading to the eventual disposition of the ancient Qing Dynasty in 1911 and the founding of the Republic of China by Sun-Yat-Sen on January 1st,1912.

QEKzxs5.jpg
wtKGeWj.jpg

But nowadays China lies scattered into a bunch of warlord states, like pieces of a puzzle, this has to be rectified,the nincompoops running Guangxi, Yunnan, Shanxi and the Western provinces just fail to see the bigger picture...maybe we'll pay the Lama a visit too while'we're at it.

pAVreOt.jpg

And don't get me started on Mao... if he gets away again it'll bite us in the arse for sure!

ywQ3mC2.jpg

7ghHjQU.gif

The British and French (And for that matter the Portuguese) asserted themselves on to our rich coastal cities like they own the place, the British and the French have to go, but as for the Portuguese, we may well let them be, they're no longer the colonial powerhouse they once was, they pose little threat, even to us.

Ye1D914.jpg

z94N82i.jpg

Then there's Soviet Russia and their stooge Governor Sheng of Sinkiang, trying to slice off a big chunk of China and turn into a Satellite of the Third International,or even into a Soviet oblast.

UpOwLn7.jpg

TPVuYCq.jpg
RsYpvbF.jpg

(Despite this,the Soviet Union has been relatively good to us in a few different ways,and they haven't been very enthusiastic about supporting Mao and the CPC against us)

WHVL7UJ.jpg

But even all that doesn't compare to Japan and this so-called Manchukuo state, the worst offence by far,which cannot be allowed to stand any longer, but we are far too unprepared, just like in 1894 and 1931,and we have no reason to believe they'll stop just yet, they're just plotting, planning their next 'Incident' and turning China into the back on which Hakko Ichiu will put all eight corners of the world under one roof, after the Warlord states come crumbling down, we just prepare to purge them off the continent and eventually take the fight back to them.

O0chBVY.jpg

Rsyj0MV.jpg
ILHbz67.jpg

So we begin by redeploying the Army to the Capital and begin a campaign to rally the population to support our rearmament programs,they must know whats at stake and what can be gained!

ftoEkAz.jpg

Images too big?

Last edited:
Your images are fine imo.

Oh, and just wanted to point out to everyone here that there's been a bug with alerts failing to show up, so if this AAR or any others seem to have died, check them manually.

Your images are fine imo.
I agree with SoL.

Good to know,thanks :)

Also agree.

Looks good so far :)
Good to know,thank you,will have an update posted in a bit about the build-up and re-organization for the Civil War :D

Oh, and just wanted to point out to everyone here that there's been a bug with alerts failing to show up, so if this AAR or any others seem to have died, check them manually.
I've gotten alerts no problem,thank you for the heads up.

I wanted to point it out to people in general, since I've seen other AAR's that were just starting begin to die (or rather, wither) as no one knew there were any new updates. It seems like alerts stop for a given, specific thread at a random time.

Chapter 2: Chinese Rearmament (Part 1) 2 Jan 1936 - 23 Oct 1936.

Tech: We've focused on building up our spy pool initially and researching the basic industrial techs,with infantry,artillery and militia doctrines coming afterwards (And upgrading some of our weapons as our IC permits)

nU44goK.jpg

Diplomacy: Trade relations have increased between China and the Soviet Union and the United States (For some reason i can't purchase rares from those vile British,do i need a land connection via Yunnan or Guandong?)

hh1xlAw.jpg

L7Ufnd1.jpg

Politics: We've shuffled a couple members of the Cabinet around,Chen Guofu becoming the Minister of Armament after being sacked by Lifu as Minister of Security,we've got Three Year Draft enacted in March)

9F7Skbh.jpg

Production:

It was decided we should have some extra bodies to fill the gaps in our lines.

BKfkpEB.jpg

And started production of Artillery Bridages to add to our exist infantry divisions and a limited serial run on 3xInf and 4xMnt.

M3lMBnI.jpg

Later on after 3 Year Draft was enacted.

dGfeJzO.jpg

(Yes,i actually am contemplating completing that ancient cruiser,going to finish it just before i finish building any proper cruisers,if any)

Later on we start building some Inf brigades to add to all our 2xInf Divisions (Along with any Artillery we can spare)

1jibF3n.jpg

As for Espionage,i've raised threat on United Kingdom,France,Guangxi,Shaanxi and Communists,and a mix of counterespionage and tech stealing on the Japanese (No success...)

In World News

j9Q0VfT.jpg

Seems Spain has some divisions of its own,but it's half the world away,so it means little to us,and the British seem keen on milking us for what we're worth...

Next update will feature the long-awaited civil war.

Looking good.
For rares you could try the Dutch. I know you are worried about the convoys, but they have the most. Stock up on them from the Netherlands before the war, then cancel if you have to. Might be a bit late now though :p

Why are you raising threat on so many countries? Wouldn't it suffice to raise threat on one? You could use the surplus spies then to attempt tech stealing on more countries.

Either that or try to recruit more officers. Your ratio is very low.

Looking good.
For rares you could try the Dutch. I know you are worried about the convoys, but they have the most. Stock up on them from the Netherlands before the war, then cancel if you have to. Might be a bit late now though :p
Thanks,guess i forgot about the Dutch,they might have some left (Or eventually one of their other trades gets cancelled) though i had been focusing on stockpiling metal a bit more,since China runs a even bigger deficiency of metal than rares,and East Asia seems to be almost barren of metal,think there's a little bit in Manchuria,but nowhere near like in RL.

I don't think it's too late though,i plan on building even more convoy's eventually,worst comes to worst,i'll appoint the Resource Minister when he's available and (Regardless of all else) start researching resource refining techs.

Why are you raising threat on so many countries? Wouldn't it suffice to raise threat on one? You could use the surplus spies then to attempt tech stealing on more countries.

Either that or try to recruit more officers. Your ratio is very low.
Partly for roleplaying purposes,trying to make the British and French into the world bogeyman and was curious about how well it would work on the warlord states (It didn't) but i normally do just the British + CommChi,the British will generate the most threat,but if you can declare on Mao sooner it'll raise your own threat,allowing you to DoW the Warlord States and get Total Economic Mobilization going a bit sooner.

I haven't gone on a tech stealing spree feeling it to be too easy for my liking,between France,Italy,Germany and the British after neutrality hits 0 (Plus Japan before Marco Polo) i'm bound to get a ton of goodies,to the point where things get a bit anti-climatic for my own tastes :p Maybe i'll just steal from France and Italy first,and then the British after they start to run dry (Or i catch up and surpass them,lol)

And i didn't post those screenshots in order by date unfortunately :oops: on my 24 October 1936 save,my officer ratio is actually 105% now (As you can see in the 2nd-to-last screen,dated September 4th,it's at 101%) and i only just ran out of free spies,but i put the slider back up now,with a small but steady steam of officers being trained aswell.

An interesting present, though I hope you plan to send a serious envoy to deliver it, lest he be offended :p

Chapter 3: Civil War Part 1: October 24 1936 - June 30th 1937

Attacks are launched on the Communists and rebel factions of Guangxi and Shanxi.

Si5w6SK.jpg

Initial progress was good,supported by aerial bombing from our SB-2 bomber wing,but their reinforcements came too soon and we got bogged down fighting for a few months.

gyiBAiI.jpg

Guangxi was a bit better,but slow due to the terrain,attacked by a much larger and more numerous enemy land and cut off from the rest of the world,the result was inevitable.

oJAkAbi.jpg

l7u6NBN.jpg

Shanxi wasn't much either.

gBXGdat.jpg

With Shanxi's fall,we could attack the Red's from North and East now.

vGO4oMQ.jpg

6CjMruE.jpg

Chiang refuses to believe it's over just like that...

And Yunnan was also attacked,our units got bogged down in the muddy mountain rivers and progress was snail-pace...

m3KGhME.jpg

Shortly before Yunnan surrenders we turn our attention on Xibei San Ma,and our tech-stealing spies have some interesting results...

s4LCZ2W.jpg

7zwctx2.jpg

NcdVzYm.jpg
peU99ON.jpg

LBcW2tG.jpg

The Sino-Japanese Border on June 30th,1937...

fjUR81Q.jpg

I have actually played farther ahead than this,but i'm kinda sleepy so i'll stop here for now... will also try to include more information such as R&D,Production and the like when i get the next update ready.

While i was working on the newest update,Chrome stopped responding and hence i lost all my progress :mad::oops::( I plan on squeezing it in either tomorrow or saturday,preferably the former,i will not let this end in a cliffhanger!

While i was working on the newest update,Chrome stopped responding and hence i lost all my progress :mad::oops::( I plan on squeezing it in either tomorrow or saturday,preferably the former,i will not let this end in a cliffhanger!
Do all of you updating in notepad first. Put your links there everything. Then you can just copy and paste the whole thing in one shot. I hate losing work like that. It is hard for me to stay motivated after a big set back like that, so I had to learn how to avoid them.

Its looking good, time for war with the Japanesse. I hope tehy aren't too scared of your troops by now.
And like others said, write in something else, than copy-paste it onto teh forum. I use Word, but anything that handles text works fine.