• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Janha

Mr. Penguin
96 Badges
May 24, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
“Finns! I, Count Juhani of Pohjanmaa, have come to unite all the Finns under a single Kingdom! We cannot survive long if we remain divided: We must unite! My goal, my mission, to unite all Finns is not going to be an easy one, not at all. Every Finnish count and duke just wants to govern their little piece of land in peace. But there won't be peace for ever. There will be many threats towards us! Maybe the Russians from East will attack, or those heretic Norses from West. We cannot win neither of them divided, alone. We shall unite, and I have taken it as my mission to create the Kingdom of Finland! May Ukko bless us!"

Finland AAR

Reindeer, Reindeer Everywhere

NqlCCX6t30IZH91RqqIChisXL77KNaqXXg5kaMVk1iLdTF20fiqiunRqe_gK6jNIeL2YNWebLjHv_3mAI6SYhQ5HeYmox8ZOm0swrmslJSpzAJyhZqjo8h9BghNDQrGRi9Dr7RB9

Welcome to my first AAR.

I hope you will enjoy reading my roleplaying of Crusade Kings 2.

As you may already have guessed, we are going to play in Finland, in 867, as the count of Pohjanmaa. I have created a custom character, Juhani Sydänmetsä (in English: Johan Heartforest). I’m going to fully roleplay, no min-maxing; if my character is kind, he won't kill his relatives without a really good reason.

VkPBXN-ZGuHlV5nLrtbtbOItYSMRCdgv5jpyn7dQxcsN7TXBYIwLnF8hFg0FreF-5QDyxMpOhuGbWRuGMQLVD38wAcyHRjBfv7tlxRVKEm59J9j3MqPBSeJA0982RLhIben1F10s

(A map of the old Finland. Our county is the one at the top.)

But what is Finland? Is it the place where people live in igloos and chat with polar bears? Answer is no: Finland is divided into many counties and duchies in the medieval era, and later in the history it became part of the Kingdom of Sweden. Our goal is to make Finland an independent, united, feudal kingdom!

The many fininsh rulers believed in a religion called Suomenusko (in English: Finnish Faith). The religion has many gods and goddnesses, like Ukko-ylijumala (the supreme god of the religion), Hippa and Tapio (Gods of fores) and Ahti (God of sea).

Finnish nature is also rather interesting: There are many lakes, as you can see from the picture above. Actually over 187 000. And of course we have our bears, reindeer and harsh winters. Not the most pleasant place to live in, especially as it is rather uncivilized.

Goals

At the moment I have no goals for this AAR; Other than surviving and uniting the Finns. In the future we may try to conquer the Scandinavia, or maybe try to reform the Suomenusko. Maybe we convert to Catholicism or maybe even to Orthodox? Nobody knows, other than the characters I will be playing. The goals depends on them. Very religious characters may want to reform the Suomenusko, and militaristic characters obviously want to conquer a lot of land.

latest

(The coat of arms of Finland. Didn't exist in the medieval era. It was first used by the Swedes in 1580s.)

Lastly I want to point out that I intented to improve my English with this AAR, as I’m not a native English speaker. (Edit: The first chapters have way more grammatical errors than the newer ones. I want to apologize for that.)

Nevertheless, I hope you will enjoy this AAR! I will also appreciate all feedback!
This is going to be an exciting journey!

May the Ukko-ylijumala bless you

Iteppä isä Jumala,
Piäppä pilvissä käräjät,
Sekehessä selvät neuvot,
Ota puolla poikaisi,
Aina lastesi apuna,
Ettei pää pahoin menisi,
Tukka turhiin tulisi,
Eli kaula katkiaisi,
Hivus hieno lankiaisi!

Last note: I have every expansion up to the Reaper's Due, expect the Sunset Invasion. Also the Horse Lords is not actived for this AAR as I didn't own it back in the days.
I also use couple of graphical mods.

Table of Contents:

Chapters:
Juhani Sydänmetsä:

Asikko Sydänmetsä:

Taisto Sydänmetsä:

Tales of the Reindeer:

948:

Last edited:
Reactions:
Already like the start, I'm joining in for the ride!
Welcome aboard Istar! I hope you will enjoy the ride on back of reindeer! ;)

Last edited:
Subbed, maybe you will teach those swedes and russians a lesson ;)
Welcome aboard Howard. We sure will teach them to respect the Mighty Kingdom of Finland!

To nitpick, it is a bit shady that Finnish chief is named Juhani before Christianity... :)
Anyway, subbed!

I just started my own game playing as a Finnish chief, so consider me interested in seeing what you do. Subbed.

I also like seeing role play AARs as it adds a bit more to the narrative, that's why I did it in my Skaal Chronicles one.

Prologue coming tomorrow!

To nitpick, it is a bit shady that Finnish chief is named Juhani before Christianity... :)
Anyway, subbed!
Well, doesn't King Juhani of Finland sound awesome? :D
Anyway, welcome aboard lad! I hope you will enjoy the AAR!

I just started my own game playing as a Finnish chief, so consider me interested in seeing what you do. Subbed.

I also like seeing role play AARs as it adds a bit more to the narrative, that's why I did it in my Skaal Chronicles one.
Welcome aboard iisbroke! You have started to play as Finnish Chief? That's a good choice! :D

I like to roleplay Ck2, so that's nice you like that type of AARs.

Like the opening post. I'm excited to see where this goes. Ought to be having your characters guide you, as your goals are unknown for now.

clipart-reindeer-silhouette-256x256-c100.png

Prologue

“Finns! I, Count Juhani of Pohjanmaa, have come to unite all the Finns under a single Kingdom! We cannot survive long if we remain divided: We must unite! My goal, my mission, to unite all Finns is not going to be an easy one, not at all. Every Finnish count and duke just wants to govern their little piece of land in peace. But there won't be peace forever. There will be many threats towards us! Maybe the Russians from East will attack, or those heretic Norsemen from West. We cannot win either of if we remain divided. We shall unite, and I have taken it as my mission to create the Kingdom of Finland! May the Ukko bless us!"

The crowd cheered. Even though Pohjanmaa was a little county, there were many men and women to see their new Chief. Juhani Sydänmetsä. He was selected as the new Chief, because the old one died without any sons.

Juhani was happy. Seeing how he was celebrated he knew that his reign was gonna be a good one. Good one if his plans were gonna succeed. And he didn’t have the smallest plans. He wanted to unite all of Finland. All of the big mighty Finland, The centre of world and The land blessed by Ukko.

V2ifC2QVGgTbl1Yq9CPpCvJFkB1tTb7bh5qapaYCP7tHKeIrIUhdu2KLsZp12xgj-Y3UBOnV0KVQn6_A3foqfh-4UzU-XrVs7-3seq5HQ1XjJind3AmnsqkQyWlXc_TMeU-Ayc2M

Later the day big feast was started. Everyone got food and drinks as much as they wanted and Juhani was celebrated as a man sent by Ukko himself. Many animals, mainly reindeer, were sacrificed for the great Ukko and other Gods. After food was eaten and animals sacrificed, started another big part of the feast. The most beautiful women were shown for Juhani, and he got to select the most glorious, as his wife, for the rest of his life.

Many women were shown, but in the end Juhani decided to take Titti. She was beautiful and strong, and she even had made a great poem for Juhani.

692pCrqTkHkxh7_X9uICnVm__aoTZInlAg4OZ28YEzIQ83AcecMXIn9oqfUBVGt405jy_jF2A3DZoZZHEVK8GvH1pPJ4DtLdxxZKMQeVM0BL1t_7eOQvdVcnrJsP7hEYvw8Y_SPG
-BG_VBXDJGSJKySgg5YDeryJCRGl5LuGJ3S_GiVOYAiIm9X7jTcYfV_1kVe6h8NLSg_Mzheichc2UoPsivdlUzhQ--I0L_uuQYUEpB7hjtmpwAHSq6mXsOaNWW7Bmas0xa8EezFL

The wedding ceremony was held almost immediately, and as a way for people to show their respect for the Chief and his wife they had to give a little bit of money for the couple. Juhani was so sure that his new wife was perfect, that he even made her his Regent. That meant that Titti would make the decisions if Juhani was away. She was most happy when she heard that. Juhani truly trusted her, from the beginning.

Now after long ceremonies Juhani had only one mission to do, and then he could go rest. He had to select new Council members, and give them work to do.

First was Chancellor’s job. Many men wanted that job, but young man Kaleva seemed to fit the job best. Juhani sent him to the Duchy of Svitjod, to improve the relations with the Norse people. Even though they are heretics, and should be killed, at the moment Pohjanmaa is too weak to fight strong nations, and so it should get in better relations with them. Many people wondered why Juhani decided to do so, but most of them trusted him, as he seemed to be a great man.

Next job was Marshmal’s job. After a long thinking Éoavvá was chosen. By the name, Juhani thought that he wasn’t from Northern Finland. Also Éoavvá didn’t seem to be the biggest supporter of Juhani. But Juhani still trusted him. Éoavvá was sent to train more troops for the future wars.

Steward. Who could be the best steward? After some candidates Juhani saw the perfect man for Steward’s job. Päiviö. Young wise looking man. He was quickly selected and sent to make Juhani a legend. That way Juhani could get more supporters, and maybe even some soldiers.

Spymaster. That is demanding job. After some thinking man named Hannu was selected. Juhani heard that he could even steal Väinämöinen’s sword. And seeing how Väinämöinen is great hero, even God, that would be most impressive thing. But hopefully he doesn’t do that, or otherwise Gods will be angry.

Lastly was needed a great shaman to do Court Chaplain’s job. Juhani didn’t find any amazingly good shaman, but this man, Miemo, seemed to be good enough, so he was selected. He said that he can get many zealots to join Juhani’s army, so he was sent to get those extra soldiers. But could he be trusted? Well, nothing bad can happen, right?

QXLXE62DB8BDDSZAKSJAz7XbTlNbjd8mTnXLoQskt4qP7TQPlVF3kX1zKaXB2u0OXGM5auGy9KD8_1UjxhCQetEqq87nPr6jdIgiyOb4X_bGJcgTe6Hq_vqi9Vq90bRGRz0cPXUh

Now everything needed was done, and so the feast was ended. Later Juhani could start his plan. Maybe he could attack one of the many Finnish tribes? That seemed to be the only way to unite Finns...

(Picture of the map and the War focus.)
lO7oN_UfG--1SekIuy23fLWxaUDgvaZiG904oq7sKA7PUlaPhCZkKLVkZRlE4p67KjO2dllaLx2pwrwM5KzQg1C3saoJaxTdTMgLUa57VLmp3sGEP76MzsJ1y2Kufh6lgFgKgCEK

Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
Osti olkosen orihin,
Hiiren karvasen hevosen.
O sie neito parka,
Jo mie sun siiaksi panen,
Kaariksi vesien päälle.
Sitä emä hyvin hyvästy:
"Tuota toivoin tuon ikäni."

Last edited:
Like the opening post. I'm excited to see where this goes. Ought to be having your characters guide you, as your goals are unknown for now.
Welcome aboard lad! Nice that you liked the opening post.
I'm also excited to see where this goes. And do you mean that I should have my characters guide me? :D

The stage is set. Your council is pretty good to start things off. Having an heir is good too, so no need to worry about getting a game over immediately. Now you can begin uniting the Finnish people!

You need chariots run by reindeer, and manned by men in red suits with white beards and an obesity problem.

Reactions:
A Finland AAR? I am intrigued Subscribed. :)

The stage is set. Your council is pretty good to start things off. Having an heir is good too, so no need to worry about getting a game over immediately. Now you can begin uniting the Finnish people!
I knew that it would be good idea to give Juhani some children. :D

You need chariots run by reindeer, and manned by men in red suits with white beards and an obesity problem.
What should we call them? Ukko Clauses? :D

A Finland AAR? I am intrigued Subscribed. :)
Welcome aboard Saxon125! Nice that you are interested :)

That is your everyday Helsinki.

Reactions:
Good luck! May I suggest converting to some form of Christianity and unite Scandinavia and Russia into one, big, Finnish entity?

Good luck! May I suggest converting to some form of Christianity and unite Scandinavia and Russia into one, big, Finnish entity?
Thanks, luck is really needed. :D
We shall see how this goes. Remember, we roleplay. But thanks for the suggestion. Usually people want to reform the Suomenusko. ;)

What about Orthodox? Could be the irl Russia. If you expand into Russia.
I have thought about Orthodox. It could be interesting, but we will see. Remember, we are gonna roleplay, so it depands on the characters ;)