• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You got lucky with capturing the rebel leader for sure. Even if you were winning it could have lasted much longer. The choice of the cannibal Proconsul was peculiar to say the least but funny nonetheless

I guess Mysterius is ... misterious ... :p

Have you planned some invasion from the West even if not Aztec ?

Yeah, I really was lucky on that one... I was only winning thanks to that crushing victory in Rosello and the 30.000 mercenaries I had carried to Britannia. And Symmachus is just the perfect man for the job.:D

Well, the next update will provide some answers as well as raise some questions; it's divided in two as it's bigger than usual.

Also, to all the lurkers out there and those who landed here by mistake (and hopefully stay a bit longer ;)):
Take your time to vote in the Q1 ACAs (AARland choice awards) 2015! A nomination provides great feedback for any AAR writer, and you don't need to leave a comment (Though I of course still encourage it). So go vote!

Chapter IIIL – A Mysterious Apparition

Shortly later,the commander led a young man to me, who admiringly looked in all directions of the palatium. He was visibly impressed, and hadn't seen anything like this before.

'Welcome in the palatium Imperatorii, Mysterius. You surely have quite a story to tell. But I don't want to hear it. All I want to know is why you want to speak to the Imperator.'

The young man seemed to carefully think about what to say. 'Magister, I have informations about his ancestors that I have to share with him. Important ones for the future. I have to speak to him in person.'

Some other nonsense? I heard much from those seeking an audience, but this one was new to me. 'What kind of information? Do you want to remind the Imperator that his family wasn't always in the position it has now? That wouldn't be good for your health. Whatever it is, the Caesar is campaigning in Andalusia right now. If you want to speak with him on his return, you have to tell me. I will decide if I grant you this audience.'

He tried to protest, but stopped before uttering a sound. Judging from the first impression, he was not a direct danger. A lucky man saved by an Imperial patrol, using his brain rather than his muscles. Eventually, he had thought of an answer: 'There are undiscovered lands in the West. This is where I should go. Bring peace to myself. To the Old One, too. He awaits me. He will come. But before, I will find the source of true wealth. As I did with knowledge. Although it made me lose reason.'

'What should that mean? Are you some disillusioned prophet?'

He was astounded at first, but gathered his thoughts again and reacted quickly: 'No, magister! I see you do not know these words. The Imperator surely does. I may repeat them, so that he takes notice, and if he recognizes these words, I am sure he will give me an audience.'

He was a madman, one of the many this island has seen. 'Fine. Repeat the words, and I assure you to let Imperator Tertius know.' He was maybe mad, but not dangerous. And it couldn't hurt to communicate his senseless babble. At best, he would disappear, if not, he would likely spend some time in a cell to refresh his mind that nobody should anger the Imperator.

X56vmBr.jpg

To my great astonishment, this wasn't the case. Upon his return, Tertius didn't give much of a notice to his just grown-up son and heir Anastasius, but instead rushed to me. 'That man, Mysterius, where is he? I have to speak with him immediately.' Only later I found out that there was not a single battle in Andalusia. Mysterius was found in an inn that has seen better days, a worn out 'In vino veritas' sign hanging over the door, and carried to the palatium. He had seen better days as well. 'Cebecia' had to be too far away for someone who had lost everything at sea to reach. Tertius had a long discussion with him alone, and the day after, Mysterius stood at the Imperator's side, as his new advisor. In the name of God, what had happened?

CnG6ZdI.jpg

I had to know. I know I shouldn't have, but mobilized all I could do to find out why that stranger gained one of the highest positions in the Imperium just through some nonsense involving the legendary 'source of true wealth'. So I couldn't avert cancellarius Vespasian to be overthrown by the Nicolae, who had expanded their influence in Italia too much for the proconsul's taste. He fled their troops to the Teutonic Order, and Decimus de Sanctus Paulus took his title.

b9UX5js.jpg

That Tertius only spoke to Mysterius alone made him all more suspicious. If there was a man he could and had to trust, it was me, his magister inquisitiones. I couldn't think of any reason for that. Other then... sorcery? Did that man come out of nowhere to haunt the Imperial palatium, take it over and establish his own reign of terror? That would explain him giving up his lies... Even if he never told me the truth about Mysterius. Each time I asked, citing his safety as my reason to ask, Tertius evaded my question, and put me on some minor assassination task. I wondered if those persons would still live if I hadn't asked.

wg67wE3.jpg

Milosz of Sczeczin did not learn of Brennaburg's mistake and imprisoned the Imperial pontifex, which led to Tertius invading his lands. I had the feeling that Mysterius had tried to prevent this. Yet Tertius came, saw, and won, patiently using the barbarians' fighting spirit against them. As the war was over, my suspicions were once again confirmed: Stettin became the new base of the Knights of Santiago. Uninfluenced, the Imperator would have never given his half-brother control of any territory. His father had taught him that save for him, his siblings were too weak to rule. It had to be this nefarious sorcerer, who also convinced him to let his other brother, Aemilian, join the Hospitallers. Valerian had decided he should become a perfecti, and Tertius would haver never opposed his will. I had to find out how he did it.

xYKZ0Cz.jpg

There had to be some secret spell in these words... I therefore dedicated most of my time to find out what. Any information concerning the 'source of true wealth', going as far back as Amentius himself was what I spend my time with. I had this time. Tertius claimed that his trusted Lucifer told him of the great horde's arrival in Turkish lands, overrunning a rebellious beyberley before attacking the Seljuks themselves – only for Kunduz. Sultan Mahmud, who had to struggle for his power most of his rule, died as soon as the Mongols crossed the border. And I couldn't shake off the thought what pushed Khan Hulegu to be satisfied with Kunduz alone – an enchantment by Mysterius. I was more and more certain of it.

Tj6AI7g.jpg

A Turkish adventurer fled the Mongols, with 30.000 soldiers with him, into Roman lands. Another one prepared a second invasion, but met an unfortunate demise. I was maybe occupied, but not the agentes of Phoenix. Tertius and his best legati stopped Saltuk's host in the Armenian mountains, at an incredible superiority – there were around 1.900 legionnaires fallen; the other side saw all 30.000 Turks dead.

Ogbvq2e.jpg

The Imperator celebrated extensively in Byzantium, as always accompanied by Mysterius, while Anastasius married princess Ingrid of Sweden. I would be proud that my education of the princeps went well enough for him to manage to be invisible to his father; but he would have to want to be invisible. Since he heard of Mysterius, Anastasius was like air to his father. He had arranged his marriage, and the one of his sister with princeps Belisarius of the Dyrachian family of Graecia. At least he was much more of a diplomat than his father, who didn't waste a thought about it. I have educated him, told him of my concerns, about the Caralii, of Mysterius... And I hope that he will be able to finish what I started.

HohkXUO.jpg

Princeps Anastasius:

My mentor has gone the way of all material life. Father followed his suggestion and nominated Junius Octavius as his successor. Florian's ally against 'the Caralii'. I think he just started to see conspiracies everywhere, I guess it was a side-effect of his office. But he was right about Mysterius. With Florian's death, he started to become more confident and suggested to free Sicilia from the Muslims who recently took the West of the island from the Hospitallers. What Florian didn't know is where his influence came from: He claimed to have known the pioneers.

SWCqHbz.jpg

Mysterius was the name of the man Crispina, Amentius' wife, had asked to translate his book. He managed to translate the first page before Crispina's death, and every de Insania knows its content. Exactly what the new Mysterius said when he arrived. That's why father trusted him. The real Mysterius disappeared into the heart of the island, and rumours had it that he lived inside a glacier, transcribing Amentius' code, which gave him universal wisdom and made him immortal. The Source of True Wealth, which even Imperator Arcadius Secundus went to search in the West, became a legend. And now, that man claimed to be the same one who worked on Amentius' book, and cited a passage only the de Insania know to prove it. He would be... around 350 years old, would it be true. And I just couldn't believe it. He would make a mistake, and I waited for it.

Father's campaign in Sicilia ended like those before. But not entirely. After his victory in Siracusa, Mysterius told him: 'After passing Scylla and Charibdis, nothing can hurt me any more. Iupiter stroke down a brigand in my way. I can go on. Under divine protection.' Too confident afterwards, father charged more fearlessly then ever at the enemy, and took a head wound. Nothing serious, but the scar should always remind him of his mortality and that Mysterius was not who he pretended.

QIZGY5Q.jpg

Decimus de Sanctus Paulus had won the second place of father's great tournament, and his bravery didn't stop there. Since he was proconsul, he became used to people following his command or advice. After successfully passing another proposal in the Senate, strengthening the position of his capital Pisae, he was bold enough to ask father to release the Turkish prisoner, sole survivor of the host that attacked Armenia. It was his last action outside of the dungeon. Shortly after, Saltuk was found at Valiosta's gates, his head on a pike. He was apparently saved from the fortress by those who wanted him dead now, not later, even if there was no proof. If Valiosta was so safe, how could it be that so many prisoners were killed?

Z5vJwd6.jpg

Father may be called 'the Blessed' by the inhabitants of Nova Roma, but I was sure that others didn't share the citizens' view of him. If he didn't pay attention, a big local revolt like the Navarrese in Andalusia or something similar to the big-scale invasion of another house in the Seljuk Sultanate could happen here. Would he win a second Valensian war? Not in his current state. He called Mysterius to tend to one of his light wounds with his immense knowledge, but the treatment failed, causing the wound to aggravate. Father lost his patience of anger against his advisor, but that quickly subsided. What else had to happen for him to see that 'Mysterius' was just an imposter?

MCC3xiy.jpg

Instead, he attacked the weak Seljuks for Damascus. Only in Amman they resisted, but in the end, father returned victorious, although with a fever. He wasn't there when my son Florian was born. He preferred to ask his friend, the devilish proconsul Symmachus, to reconvert from Waldensianism. Would he never care for his family?

lwC85Es.jpg

A far-travelled merchant brought news from the East. The great Khagan of the Mongols didn't just unleash the Ilkhanate on the Seljuks – another one, the Golden Horde, was to invade Europe. The Imperium with his famous wealth was one of their goals, if you could believe him. Batu Jochid was invading Cumania, and would stand at the Imperial doorstep... But father didn't care much. If the Mongols were so terribly strong, why had the Ilkhanate not conquered the falling Seljuks yet? He instead answered the call to arms from Sweden to push the Finns out. Another reason not to believe 'Mysterius': He didn't oppose it in the slightest, even if Sweden was a proclaimed eternal enemy of Nova Roma when 'he' disappeared.

aN1hMXD.jpg

Our grudge was directed against the Swedes that were reduced to mere counts of Samoyedia. The Falk dynasty, having already held the titles of kings of Denmark and Poland before, had their Smålander branch take over most of Sweden. In the battle of Kastelholm, Uppsala's future as Swedish land was sealed. The combined Swedish-Frisian force had already engaged the Finns, as the Roman army under the magister militum of the Varangian Guard, Gunnar Falk, reinforced and caused the Finns to break.

T8b4nDU.jpg

Father had to ask Symmachus to stop his heresy once more. The proconsul of Rhenania-Mosella with the infamous reputation only caused problems, yet he still trusted him. Together with Martinus Claudius he was the Imperium's best legatus and head of the Legion. He would just cause problems. Yet he even betrothed his son Publius to my sister Hortensia. Publius may be a smart young man, but it was the wrong sign to give. Therefore, I asked father if I could rule my own piece of land, to show him my qualities, but he ignored me. As well as he ignored that magister Junius had imprisoned Crassus Pompeius. Junius had lost all reason. Crassus was not only a powerful noble, a Pompeius as well, but also a capable administrator loyal to the laurels. He was no Caralius. They didn't exist, even if Florian and Junius thought something else. It didn't give him the right to imprison such men.

RmESyiA.jpg

Father was most probably influenced by Mysterius not to act. The more nobles disappeared, the better for him. But he went to far. 'Iupiter first spoke to me in the ancient thermae. All the voices. Out of the water. Out of the steam. True knowledge attained me. Great ideas.' Those are the last words Imperator Tertius heard. He went, alone, to the thermae, and didn't return. As I entered the caldarium, where he was supposed to be, I found him. Lifeless. Dead in the thermae, the place Mysterius had sent him to. I immediately hurried outside, fearing poison. No trace of it was found, but I knew Mysterius was behind all this. Luckily for him, he was nowhere to be found as well when I ordered the Imperial Guard to search for him.

A3IlCjI.jpg

Last edited:
Imperator Anastasius Tertius de Imperio Romano. This was my new title. And as soon as the succession was official, the Senate split in factions. The Valensian ideas still swarmed around, and mostly the Eastern nobles complained. They petitioned all kinds of things I should enact as new Imperator. I knew that father had left me in a shaky position; I had to gain control of the situation, sooner better then later. I would and could not rule by fear; the battlefield was not my home. Imperator Valerian would not approve of my education, and father didn't as well. Florian taught me that it is more important to control the nobility by diplomacy and cunning rather by force. Force only brings devastation, and leaves the Imperium weakened. The Valensian war was the last example. I would rule differently. I would get the nobles on my side, not in my dungeon. Speaking of dungeons, I started planning to free Crassus Pompeius immediately.

XKkfFvj.jpg

Scheming behind the back of the magister inquisitiones was no easy task. I couldn't just remove him from office. I needed to consolidate my rule, and besides the vanished 'Mysterius' I had kept father's council for now to help me in my task. I did find a woman named Flavia, who was probably ready to take the risk. Just as I sent her some denarii, a messenger from Chersonesus stormed in: 'Your Imperial Majesty, grave news! The Mongol horde has crossed the border, and invades Taurica!'

flUo1TW.jpg

If you are wondering, I used the console to make the Mongols attack. They would never have attacked the Imperium otherwise, but instead picked easier targets.

It was a grave situation. I sent orders to assemble all armies in Valachia to repel the horde, and tasked my sister Hortensia, taught in the art of war by father, to lead the army. The fleet left the harbour without any mercenaries on bord. None agreed to fight the Mongols. They had to know something that we didn't know. It wasn't in my hands now. The Imperium was under attack, and I had left its defence in the responsibility of my legati.

YiQAHx8.jpg

Proconsul Martinus Claudius of Sicilia:

The fleet had landed in Byzantium. 33.000 troops awaited in Valachia, and we had 61.600 assembled here. Whatever the Mongols could throw at us, we would drive them back to the Steppes where they came from! It was Marcus Carolingus, the proconsul of Gallia, who brought a first doubt of the campaign's success. 'I don't see the Legion anywhere. Symmachus should have arrived here long ago. As much as it pains me to say, we have to wait for them.'

Principissa Hortensia and me were of good humour. 'Well, if he's not here yet, then because he's eaten the Legion', I joked.

'While we would wait, the Mongols would sack Chersonesus', Hortensia said. 'Mysterius, what do you think?' We turned towards the man who Hortensia had taken with her from Nova Roma. Her Imperial brother wanted to imprison him, but we relied on his advice. Under Imperator Tertius, I had seen that his advice was priceless. Marcus was sceptic. 'Shouldn't this man be delivered to the Imperator?'

'I have experienced his advice first-hand. We can trust him. Mysterius, what did Amentius write?'

He held his head, trying to remember the words, as he always did. Then he spoke: 'Time was short. The peninsula was burning. All the pleading voices. Run. Run. Run. They said. I stayed. And Neptun extinguished the flames. I left Roma.'

'We have to leave Byzantium. We won't need the Legion to beat some barbarians from the East. We meet the Valachian army, then drown these Mongols!'

bPhB3tB.jpg

As the Valachian coast came into sight, a Chersonesian ship made its way to the navy. The praefectus of the res publica himself pleaded for help. Numerous Mongols, at least 50.000, threatened the great merchant city itself. He promised to pay each soldier who took part in the liberation of the countryside from these barbarians a huge bonus. Principissa Hortensia spoke with him in private, and then ordered to set sail to Chersonesus. I could easily imagine how praefectus Symmachus took advantage of her well-known greed to persuade her. Marcus Carolingus continued to complain. 'As much as you dislike it, principissa, it is your brother who is Imperator, and not you.'

'But I have the command here! By his will! And besides... I will show everyone who is the rightful ruler of the Imperium! After my victory, it won't be deniable that I am better suited then my brother, who defended the invaders only in his thoughts from Nova Roma!'

Marcus wasn't convinced and coughed. 'Principissa, I only follow the true Imperator, the one who I serve as proconsul. I will only follow you because the army is stronger as a whole. Turn against the Imperator, and you turn against me.'

They would settle their differences soon, I was certain of it. When we would bathe in the glory of victory. If not, I would then decide who to follow.

eg5g7aS.jpg

As soon as we made landfall, not far from the great city, we came under heavy attack. The Mongols were just waiting for us. From both sides, the sound of hooves came down on us like thunder, accompanied by their arrows. My troops had led the march, and those who weren't struck by the first wave fell into complete disarray. Chaos reigned, and I couldn't assert my authority. Where was all the discipline? Drowned by arrows, constant charges of their light cavalry, the troops fell as fast as the Turks under Tertius. Marcus was the first to sound the retreat, while I was still under shock. Hortensia soon followed, and all that I could do was assemble the few soldiers I had left under my command and flee as well.

kXxnEEq.jpg

It was a total disaster. We had lost a bit more then half our army. Without any right to do so, Hortensia signed a peace treaty, ceding Taurica to the Khagan. The skirmishes that had begun in Olesia were called back as soon as the news spread. The Imperium was defeated. Marcus' face wore an expression of 'I told you', but covered under deep layers of sorrow. He had ordered Hortensia to be held deep inside his ship, together with Mysterius. Prisoners of the proconsul, as traitors to the Imperium. Thankfully, I didn't take her party. But it would be a long way back to Nova Roma.

hunQyVM.jpg

Imperator Anastasius III:

A complete failure, a catastrophe. Betrayed by my sister. Failed by my merchants. A defeat, bought by those seeking protection. Mysterius hidden, partly responsible. And worst of all, not only Taurica was lost. The Valensians had waited for such a moment. The Imperium wasn't able to protect them, they said. They might as well withstand on their own. And I – let them go. I couldn't keep the Eastern provinciae. Not even Byzantium. It was too far away, and I had heard that proconsul Symmachus had attacked the Andalusians on his own. I couldn't lead a war against them and my people. The Eastern armies were almost unscathed, while the Western had been decimated and demoralized in Chersonesus. By conceding everything East of Italia to the Valensians, I could concentrate on the West. And decide of the consequences those would suffer who disobeyed, even contradicted my orders. I couldn't let them undermine the authority I had gained.

rF88wop.jpg

My first action was to completely reorganize the council. The cancellarius had stayed in Byzantium, and Branca Maximus replaced him. Symmachus' treachery would cost him the office of magister militum, now filled by Marcus Carolingus, who had proven his loyalty in the disaster of Chersonesus. More consequences for the dreaded cannibal would follow after the end of the Andalusian war, whatever way it would end. The Imperial quaestor and pontifex could stay; instead of the newly independent Junius Octavianus though, I appointed someone I could really trust as magistra inquisitiones: my mother, Poppaea Severus.

bYkhJ6K.jpg

I had to think of a suitable punishment for Hortensia, for keeping Mysterius out of my reach, disobeying my orders, losing horribly and most of all plotting to overthrow me, but that would need to wait. I had to deal with said man first. Even if I am not like my predecessors inclined to torture, it was necessary to get the truth out of him. Still under the impression of Chersonesus, he quickly gave up.

'You are right. I am not Mysterius. My true name is Irocus Laurentius, and I am from Cebecia in Arcadia. I was travelling to Ternovum, when my ship was caught by a terrible storm. The crew and most passengers were washed into the sea, and I ended up, alone, in the waters of Nova Roma, certain death before me. Then, the patrol saved me.'

I interrupted him. 'Arcadia? Cebecia? Ternovum? Explain yourself!'

Irocus closed his eyes for a moment, gathering his thoughts as he had done so often, then looked directly into my eyes: 'It is the Western Land. I am a descendant of Imperator Arcadius' expedition. They found land in the West and settled there. I won't tell more, as it would be of no interest. But every child at my home knows the legend of Amentius that drove Arcadius to head West. I was always a smart cultured man, and as I recognized that I was in Nova Roma, I used it to my advantage. And it worked. I invented something fitting to the situation without meaning anything. It was up to the interpreter what he wanted to hear. Your father, a fine strategist, heard his own thoughts; your sister heard her ambition. Magister Florian was right never to trust me, as you did. So when your father died, your sister took me into a shelter, fearing you would accuse me. Then, she used me as advisor. Now that you have heard my story, tell me, am I guilty?'

He was completely down. A wreck, waiting to sink. I threw him a rock.

'Of course you are. Your crime is too important to go unpunished. There is only one punishment fitting: you will be hanged tomorrow.'

After a long hiatus, I have catched up to find a civil war in the Imperium, a Mysterius agent, the wrath of the Mongols and a repetition of history: the split of the Empire. Let us hope the Western half regains its strength and the Dark Ages do not descend once more into Western Europe(although truth be told, by this partition the East does look more fragmented or I am not looking at the picture well? :) )

Good writting as always and looking forward to this twist of events!

There's always something interesting happening :). As for the partition, the Valensians wanted to have nobody above them, hence they are all divided into the former provinciae, now regni. I could have made a Latin Empire as Eastern part, but it wouldn't have reflected their motivations to leave the Imperium in the first place.:rolleyes:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter IIL – Auxiliarius Satanis

The day after Mysterius' execution, I dealt with my sister. She had committed high treason as well, but she was still my sister. She was no danger in herself. After the disaster of Chersonesus, nobody would support her. So I let her live. But I still needed a punishment. She would have to command a garrison on one of Amentiana's (I had to name the island at some point, and chose its discoverer instead of Iceland) many coastal fortresses. From there, she wouldn't be able to exert any influence on the Imperial affairs any more. To appease the Senators and proconsules who didn't follow the Valensians, I worked on righting the wrongs of my father, and released Decimus de Sanctus Paulus as well as Aurelian Hiberniacus.

jvCgWnG.jpg

My authority now established, I started to impose my own idea of reigning. I sent pontifex Victorinus to spread the word to the Mongols, hoping to prevent further aggressions. Thinking of Symmachus' campaign in Granada, I invited king Titus of Portugal to discuss the future of Iberia together. We divided up the Iberian peninsula. The Lusitanians could prove a useful ally if ever the nobility would turn against me.

xhGIlmD.jpg

Loyalty was a rare good as I ascended to the throne, and as such it was very saddening to learn of magister militum Marcus' death due to a sudden illness. I couldn't be sure. Was it really only an illness or was it poison? Was Hortensia responsible for it? She hated Marcus the most. A feeling of uncertainty grasped me, and I thought of intensifying the security measures, pestering my mother about it all the time. Now that my apparent heir named after her was born, it could be thought that I was most vulnerable, even if it wasn't true. I appointed Clementius Mac Finnachta, head of one of the most loyal families of the Imperium, as Marcus' successor.

a65Hi9p.jpg

Pontifex Victorinus returned from Saray, without accomplishing anything. He said that he couldn't bear the barbarism of the Mongols any longer. Not to my surprise, his successor was immediately imprisoned as he set foot on the Khan's soil, as he had to be insulted by Victorinus' behaviour. But less that I was of Symmachus' one. Granada fell to the Legion with little to no resistance, the Umayyads also embroiled in a war with the Lusitanians at the time, and he returned to Nova Roma to report his conquest. Instead of the reception he surely expected, a small triumph held in favour of the victor, Symmachus was lucky that I had no evidence important enough that he willingly didn't follow the Imperial orders. He claimed to have crossed the Sultanate's border before any order reached him, and that the messenger probably had been intercepted by the enemy. So all I could do was to seize Illiberra (Granada) directly for the eagle.

NdZHNMz.jpg

I patiently waited until Symmachus finally made a mistake he couldn't recover from or hide. Plotting to kill Hadriana de Valiosta. As if all his previous acts weren't bad enough, he aimed to kill the daughter of the commander of the prison fortress, certainly aiming to pressure him to give up and install someone loyal to him. Preparing a future escape if ever he was captured. With this, I had enough to demand his imprisonment. Symmachus declined, and escaped the grasp of my guards. They claimed that he enchanted them. Could the proconsul enchant a whole army?

sgjwZvi.jpg

As he rose up in arms, panic-driving preachers were to be found everywhere around the Imperial cities. The servitor of the devil had shown his true face. With the support of his master, thousands of undead would rise to support him. Join them now or face the devil himself as he descends upon his creation, to imprison the souls of the fallen forever in the material world. The Antichrist was here, and Armageddon was close. What nonsense. He was a normal man who had made himself a reputation and who had made a fatal mistake. The resources of Rhenania-Mosella wouldn't be enough to oppose the Imperium. I had the Gaulish and German armies raised and sent the Legion under Clementius Northward. No zombies, demons or anything like that faced the Gaulish army in Vesontio, but around 11.400 soldiers Symmachus could muster. They fearlessly charged over the Souconna river, striking down Maximian Helvius before he could react, but then the Gaulish army got the upper hand. Just before the enemy retreated, the Legion cut off their escape route, and no 'servitor of the devil' escaped.

Q1ZVbbf.jpg

His army gone, Symmachus couldn't do much more. He retreated to his palatium in Columbarensis. As the Legion overcame his defences, Clementius found him in a dark room under his palatium, filled with satanic symbols, celebrating some ritual during the course of which he had impaled one of his servants, and ate his heart. Blood dripping from his teeth, he would have said: 'Good. Master's creations are working. They have found me.' Before he unleashed a frenzy attack, but was quickly disarmed with a slash into his swordarm. As a captive, he denied any food but allegedly looked stronger with each passing hour. Those who guarded him said he started to use his right arm again, even if he couldn't move it at all since his capture. The power of imagination. Fear is a strong motivator, this is what grandfather always knew and used.

Besides all the other charges against him, this first-hand description by the magister militum convinced even the most stubborn and autonomous Senators. Unanimously, I had them make the decision to execute him. 'Give them what they want, if it corresponds with your goals', Florian always said. 'Sometimes, all they need is someone who gives them a weapon.' My old mentor was right. Under the eyes of the population, the 'Antichrist' was nailed to a cross.

QEBQnYG.jpg

He shouted some curses, called Satan's revenge on us, for hours, until he finally fell quiet. As soon as Symmachus' death had come, a messenger from Armenia arrived, asking for assistance against the Sunni Jihad striking his kingdom. Was that Satan's revenge? A Jihad for Armenia? Knowing that the Caliph alone posed no threat for them, I didn't want to get involved. Besides, Bartholomaios Ampelas had been a Valensian, citing as his primary reason to leave the Imperium that it couldn't protect him. He'd have to see how he could protect himself. I had other plans, concerning the future: Instead of conquering land far away in the East, the thought of uniting Western Europe spooked through my head. So I declared an Imperial reconquest of Brabant on Frisia.

AiHXT6C.jpg

My mother had fallen severely ill after I declined Armenia's request. Some said it was Symmachus' curse when the pneumonia got the best of her. A curse that also showed in the fact that three days after his execution, his body, said not to have decomposed at all, not even touched by the birds before, disappeared from the cross on the forum. Stories about the undead proconsul started to spread, stories that didn't concern me. Some fool must have taken the corpse from the cross at night, there's nothing supernatural in that. But let the people believe what it wants to. While some panicked and put as much distance between me and them, fearing that thunder would strike me any moment or whatever, no curse could stop the Roman armies. King Bodewijn had landed in Cantium with 6.500 troops; 6.500 Frisians who never again saw their home after the victory of Tonbridge. Bodewijn had no choice but to acknowledge his defeat.

OuL8RUo.jpg

The Umayyad Sultanate was crumbling, falling into a chaotic civil war, when I sent rex Bartholomaios the assistance he was hoping for. The Legion made its way into Coloneia and relieved the Armenian capital from the 9.000 Muslims besieging it. I left the campaign there in the hands of the magister militum, and worked on my European ambition. Liubice was an integral part of Germania and Holsatia, I claimed, and set 15.000 soldiers under the Captain of the Varangian Guard to relocate the Pomeranians living there. Old Jon reported the Obotrite resistance in Gripscogh, and that Lubeca was now in Roman hands.

nt7VxOG.jpg

Unlike my predecessors, it wasn't me who led the armies into their battles. I was in Nova Roma all the time, reigning from the palatium. This might have opened occasions for the infamous Senatorial intrigue to grow hold of me, so I had to increase the measures for my safety. My new magister inquisitiones, Dúngal Mac Finnachta, smartly made use of 'the Devil's Curse' to explain these measures. 'Someone', he looked around the Senate as he announced it, 'may have the idea to become the medium of the curse.' It was a bright move, but I had to keep an eye on him as well. As I saw him erring around the city, looking for a mark of chalk, I realized that he had built a secret room from where he planned his operations. Even if I didn't approve of his conspiracy to seize Condevicnum, I proposed to look the other way if he would put this room to the use of the Imperium.

6AI49SN.jpg

Willing to become a truly different Imperator remembered as a benevolent ruler like Julius and not as a bloodthirsty warrior like my father, I increasingly spent my time with judgement affairs and the education of my second daughter and heir Poppaea. I was teaching her about the virtue of diligentia, when magister Clementius arrived in Nova Roma and wanted to speak with me as quickly as possible. He looked worried, and jumped at the slightest sound. Something bad had happened to the magister militum, that much was sure. After some reassuring, he counted what he came for.

'My Imperator, the Jihad took an unexpected turn of events. Caliph Ramadan has gained the support of Sultan Amr of Egypt, and his ferocious Mamluks. It seems that the Muslims wanted to try a tactic similar to the Mongols as they attacked us in Tercan. Their charge was not as devastating as the Mongol one, but still terrifying. Proconsul Cassius, who always had more the brains than the muscles of a general, was amongst the first to fall. As the first line broke, the archers were not covered any more, and our terrain advantage was gone. I personally faced Amr's brother Abianos and slew him, but after a fierce battle, we had to retreat. The remaining Legion is regrouping in Trebizond, and awaits reinforcements I humbly request.'

Clementius was unrecognizable. Leaving a fierce soldier, a coward returned. I couldn't let the Tulunids feast on their victory, but had to make it short-lived. Armenia's prolonged conflict with Anatolia over a mere baronia made the Imperium the only real enemy of the Muslims, like it had been in the previous Jihads. 'They will not win. Mobilize the Varangians and the Ordo Phoenigis.'

k2jPDzN.jpg

Word of this second armies' success didn't need long to reach the capital. Shortly after the reinforcements arrived, Valerian Alpinus led the new force to avenge the loss in Tercan, annihilating the Egyptians in Tephrice. Upon hearing this, a heated debate took place in the Senate concerning Valerian instead of the victory: In his absence, Lucius Romnicus, the proconsul my father had originally placed in Bavaria, retook the reins of the provincia into his hands. Between those claiming that the war hero should be returned into his position, others spoke of Valerian's first usurpation of power, and that Lucius was the rightful proconsul. I didn't take party. The Senate didn't have an unanimous opinion, and either way I chose, I could only lose. I left the decision to the Bavarian nobles, who knew both men as proconsules and could choose better then me from Nova Roma.

Vq2Ayr3.jpg

I had to make some judgements concerning robberies that happened in Amentiana. The praefecti urbani of both Godalir and Calarnes had been accused to have given the brigands the occasion to strike. Both of course denied any responsibility. It was my word that had to decide:

'Brigands and robbers are only bold enough to strike against nobles if they feel secure. No, not only against nobles: Against any cives of the Imperium. Reducing the threat of robberies is therefore an important task of any ruler.' The praefecti urbani lowered their heads in expectation of an arbitration against them. 'But all of Amentiana is the core of the Imperium and directly falls primarily into my sphere as Imperator. While the local cities may take preventive measures, and are encouraged to do so, it is the Imperial Guard that should prevent thieves from roaming its streets. You shall receive compensation from the Imperial coffers.'

I reinforced the patrols and conducted a thorough search to clear out any possible hideouts of the bandits, as well as promising high payment for any contribution to or capture of a thief. The effect was more than I hoped. The thieves, all of them plaguing Amentiana, it seemed, were caught and suspended at the gates.

LFRG7HP.jpg

As the Jihad ended in failure, I could focus my military efforts on my Western European plans again. Cancellaria Branca had provided a claim on Polish Slesvig which would be necessary to connect Dania Cismarina by land and be an effective base for any operation against the Norwegians who continuously harassed the Anglian coast together with the Finns. But now, the crumbling Umayyad Sultanate, recently separated into Mauretania and Asturias, provided the best opportunity while rebuilding the Legion to full strength. After king Titus finally pushed them out of Navarra, the Imperium would secure the whole Eastern Coast of Iberia after seizing Murcia.

BsTSnKM.jpg

Yet all didn't go as planned. The Umayyads were overthrown in Mauretania, and the new Sultan, Bilal Guardid, mustered an army to defend his lands. Upon this new situation, I met with king Titus of Portugal again, and we planned the future of Iberia. While Portugal would take the West coast from the newly independent Emir of Algarve, the Imperium would return the East and León to Christian rule. In return, we would seal our alliance with a marriage of prince Aires to principissa Poppaea. My dream of a united Western Europe came closer with these fruitful negotiations.

FR2q4Sn.jpg

Honouring our alliance, the Anglian-Gaulish Army I had sent South defeated the Emir's men as they tried to break the organization of Titus' troops. After the battle of Marvão, his forces were depleted and he could only surrender. Sultan Bilal's host had made its way to Augusta Bilbilis, where the Imperial Army had laid out a trap, when the proconsul of Aquitania, Carus Moulines, laid down his differences with proconsula Lucilla of Andalusia and engaged the Muslims. He was the true embodiment of what a proconsul should be: Always loyal to the Imperium, and putting its needs over one's own. After Carus' heroic death in battle, the Imperial reinforcements surrounded the Moors, and the war was decided.

INb9yfJ.jpg

The Guardids, as well as the Asturian Umayyads, didn't surrender their lands, the army had to take them by force, but in the end, there was not much resistance. I received constant informations about the progress in Iberia, and had some breathing space through the recent successes. With the death of the troublesome proconsul of Italia, who led a small party of discontents in the Senate despite me being the one responsible for his liberty, the Imperium was safely and firmly in my grip. A young eunuch of fabulous diplomatic prowess, Arcadius, managed to present those successes in such a way that none disagreed with him. I could rest, and spend time with the most beautiful woman in all of Nova Roma...

ZxGHKnP.jpg

M5gpAkF.jpg

Cut off a head of the hydra

and two more will grow back

biting all they in their sight

until the beast is satisfied or dead

Last edited:
Sure. As I'm not home over the weekend, I can't write a regular update anyway, so I'll provide a very short one. I'll also take the occasion to correct the last Roman chapter numbers.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter IL – A Cartographer's Duty (Europe 1239)

Marcellus Calarneius:

After the last Iberian wars, I was surprised to see Imperator Anastasius himself enter my smallhouse close to the port. With the Imperial Guard following him, great fear seized me. What had I done? What had happened to the good Imperator that he fell back into his predecessors' methods? I panicked. 'O great Imperator, please spare me, whatever I have done wrong! I am only a humble cartographer, I wouldn't dream of opposing your authority...'

The Augustus signalled me to stop. I saw one guard trying vehemently to suppress a grin. Worked well enough to still count as disciplined. 'You have done no wrong, Calarneius.'

He had addressed me in person, yet so calm that a huge rock fell from my shoulders. I didn't dare ask him what he wanted if not to imprison me, so I waited until he told me. I should make a map of the Imperium at its current status, and not include the Valensian territories as many others did. I would also be provided information to make a religious and a cultural map of Europa.

And so I did. My masterpiece, the Imperial map from 1239. Showing not only the political status, but also the spread of Martinianism as well as of our Roman culture.

GlLSgIL.jpg

pfQTnwb.jpg

xHDjIQJ.jpg

Romanization progresses nicely. Though those Anglo-Saxon barbarians are clinging to their customs desperately despite the long Roman rule :p

Time for a first milestone, chapter 50!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter L – Codex Anastasiis

My time with Antonia was wonderful. Yet I couldn't let a lover distract me from my Imperial duties, my dream. Promising to let our affair go on, I made her producissa of Legio, so that she wouldn't always be in my reach. She should also carry with her my orders to stop Ingólfr z Wranovi, a Sorian knight, who was hiring men for an attack on the Imperium, the same realm which sheltered the oppressed Castillians, founded the order and pursued the reconquista. Ingólfr shouldn't survive this treason. Magister inquisitiones Dúngal disagreed with me. There would be other ways. Gaining intelligence of his whereabouts, fortifying the positions when he would attack. But I stood firmly in my decision: I wouldn't weaken the Legion, take the loss of many unnecessary lives only because of the megalomania of a knight who dishonours his vows. Falling into a depression, Dúngal abandoned his office, and Severa Conisber, proconsula of Anglia, replaced him.

nANRgFH.jpg

My involvement in the poisoning of Ingólfr's wine became public knowledge as Tarsilla de Insania openly admitted to have 'carried out justice in the name of all Knights of Soria' under an Imperial mandate. Others weren't as easily gained for the plot, and I had to follow my mentor's advice: 'Money solves all problems'. Sadly, she put the plan into motion instead of those I had bribed, who would certainly have kept their mouths shut. As a result of Tarsilla's indiscretion, my integrity as the wise ruler I pretended to be was shortly questioned, and I had to let go Publius Antoninus and his wife, my sister Hortensia, join the Knights of Santiago. Just as I was worrying if she would gather soldiers loyal to her cause there, Antonia came to comfort me. She announced that she had given birth to a young boy she had named after me. I decided to admit my affair, trying to gain some sympathies, and declared him my legitimate son.

1j1IDds.jpg

Seeing how I stabilized my reign in the Imperium and extended its power in the West, many vassals of the Valensians contested their leaders' actions. How could they separate from the Imperium in sight of the Mongol hordes, infighting or not? Power struggles erupted all over their realms, and in Bohemia, Anatolia, Damascus and Antioch, it was even demanded to reinstall my authority. Pannonia and Graecia emerged as the dominant regni of the region, and as such I turned towards Belisarius III Dyrachian, rex of Graecia and my brother-in-law. I had to concede Byzantium to his father, but had many interests in keeping Graecia strong. With Romans in control of the regnum, the vital Eastern trade would continue to flow around the hordes; Byzantium needed to escape the fate of Chersonesus, a smouldering ruin. A marriage between my son Florian and Belisarius' first daughter Poppaea should cement our alliance.

Rqfe1FR.jpg

With the claimant wars erupting in the Valensian lands, I turned towards my plan to deal with the raiders. Preparing the invasion of the Norwegian's heartland to gain control of the strait between the Baltic and the Imperial waters, I set the Legion into motion to claim Slesvig. In a short campaign, beating the Poles in Tarnów, Dania Cismarina came under complete Imperial control. I had the fleets prepared to turn the table on the raiders.

qizVSp0.jpg

As the preparations were under way, domestic affairs were the most pressing. Poppaea's education advanced smoothly; she would make a fine Imperatrix in the future. Florian wasn't too happy about it. Well aware that he would never rule, he asked me if he could join the Teutonic Order. He wouldn't be of any use in Nova Roma. I accepted. My wife Ingrid was outraged. First, I had an affair, even a child with Antonia Phanagoria, and now, her firstborn son, far away from her reach, a celibate knight in foreign lands... she went into a small destruction frenzy as soon as she saw me. I desperately needed some calm. King Titus' invitation to Porto to speak about Iberian affairs was most welcome. I could meet up with Antonia in Legio, and spend some great weeks under the Iberian sun.

BPPRRif.jpg

Titus led me to the Bektashi fortress the Portuguese had just taken, and we agreed on the future conquest plan: Asturias for the Imperium, Sevilla for Portugal. Thanking him, I left full of energy, eager to pull the raiders' invasion into motion. I had Flavia Magheranti prepare for a winter campaign, when the Norges wouldn't expect us, and they even played into our cards by the outbreak of another civil war. As the rebels' land in Vestlandet, as they called it, quickly fell to the Roman invasion, Vespasian of Garðariki, sadly only Roman in name now, also stroke a blow against the Finnish raiders, conquering Karelen and granting it to the Teutonic Order.

QxOH5IA.jpg

As my uncle Aemilian became magister of the Hospitallers, the Norge campaign drew to its end. King Åmund's capital in Bergenshus was under Roman control, and a claimant was roaming through the hinterland of it. As I awaited his surrender, and the success of the invasion, Pontianus Dalmatius, comes of Mafracium, requested an audience. His liege, the dux of Damascus, has recently died. Controlling more than half the ducatus, Pontianus had pressed to join the Imperium again. The young dux had no choice but to accept, and Pontianus was here to swear his allegiance. I couldn't do it. Damascus would be an uncontrollable territory, surrounded by vengeful Turks and recent Mongol incursions. Not even with an access to the sea. I had to decline, granting him the ducal seat and his independence.

EiGuqBu.jpg

My intention in the Viking Invasion was to stop their raids. If not once and for all, they would have a hard time crossing the strait as Roman patrols controlled this sea. What was left was Norge itself, but they were preoccupied, and the Imperium would strike again. In all this success against the vikings though, I had to concede a defeat against them... in domestic affairs. My wife Ingrid had a crucial part of the blockade murdered – produx Junius of Dania Cismarina. Our marriage had already gone through hard times, lastly when Florian left, but this was the drop too much. I had to act. Surely because one of her countless siblings made a living as one of Sweden's last vikings, she was countering my plans. I ordered the Imperial Guard to seize her, but she had a friendly ship lying in the harbour. Furious that she eluded my grasp, I divorced her and set sail for Sweden myself.

i9UBqSW.jpg

I entered negotiations with King Einar, trying to gain his support against his sister and his bastard viking siblings. Einar had peacefully succeeded to his father Valdemar, and he was as eager as me to stop the raiders. Sweden suffered more than the Imperium, and Einar tried to continue where his father left, developing Sweden to definitely bring it out of the dark age of civil war. Thus he was easily gained for my cause. We celebrated our alliance with a marriage of his daughter Birgitta to me. She was quite skilled in intrigue, and shared her father's hate against the raiders knowing very well the need of bringing them to justice. This marriage would be better than the last, I was certain.

44twahF.jpg

I wasn't as sure with Poppaea and Aires. Titus' son had some of his father's vices, but none of his wisdom. My daughter had received a great education from me, and only her temper could prove problematic. Their characters were almost contrary to each other. The burden of an Imperator. She would have to live with it. I had to be a shining example. Keeping away from domestic affairs, I delved deep into administrative concerns.

D6N1TnS.jpg

With the Viking Invasion over, the Iberian affairs came into my focus again, as well as Frisia. The Legion should intercept any Guardid intervention as Astorga would be seized by Roman troops, while the Portuguese advanced on Niebla. The Gaulish, Germanian and Italian armies would land in Holland and end the independence of the Frisians. Just like before, the wars were total victories; the Legion prevented the Moors from crossing the pillars of Hercules and crushed them in Tarifa, while the Frisians couldn't resist the much larger Roman force in Muiden.

XChQzd9.jpg

Astorga and Holland became parts of the Imperium, and Koenraad of Frisia held on to only a fraction of Frisia's land. A small donation from the Imperial coffers was enough to convince his only vassal, duchess Ermingarde of Gelre, to swear her allegiance to me instead. Her Jewish husband was a hostage since the battle of Muiden, and part of the negotiations was his release. With a lot of work to do to Romanize Frisia, I appointed Marciana Verus, a very promising young woman, to supervise this process.

eSl2J84.jpg

I would have done it in person, but I can hardly split myself. The Imperium already was on the brink of collapse as I inherited it, and even if it lost its Eastern part, it is because of my father's policy. Any other ruler than me couldn't have held it together. There was still much to do though, and it was clear to me that only I could solve these problems. Proconsul Anicius Helvius' drunken rampage in Orvieto was a perfect example of it. No longer would nobles be able to do as they wanted. Not as restrictive as the mad 'Failed-Hunt-Laws' of my father, but more severe than under Valerian; such would be my Codex Anastasiis, core part of my centralization efforts; a law which bound nobles as well as commoners.

BG2Lioc.jpg

A great tournament, where the nobility as well as the best soldiers of the Imperium would participate, gathered all important persons of the Imperium in Nova Roma for the distribution of the Codex Anastasiis. At the occasion, military improvements were shared, and Galerius of Nova Ostia presented the result of the research one of his citizens, Ulpian Canonis, had conducted. He had experimented, mostly with volcanic materials, and was ready for a first presentation. A long metal barrel was placed on a field, and Canonis stood at one of its ends, a torch in his hand. Galerius was excited, said ' with this weapon, we won't have to fear any more enemies', and signalled Canonis to begin. He lowered the torch, and the sound of a large explosion broke the silence. Smoke came out of the barrel, and the wooden wall built in some distance of it had been smashed into pieces. This was the future of warfare; I didn't need to be a soldier to know this. There were still some difficulties, but this 'cannon' would be terrific when ready for use on the battlefield. Awed by Ulpian's invention, the winners of the tournament, fierce soldiers of the Ordo Phoenigis, earned less attention that they deserved.

XKxxfUq.jpg

My new codex wasn't instituted without problems. A peasant was dragged before me the day after the end of the tournament, accused of having murdered his wife and children. The codex clearly stated the suited punishment, but the question was the man's guilt. No longer should a feudal ruler simply decide of his fate as was the custom under my recent predecessors; as in ancient days, he should receive a fair judgement. The man was found, covered in blood; but that didn't prove much. Any person with the slightest intelligence wouldn't just stay at the scene of a crime. The weapon wasn't found on him either. The evidence was circumstantial; more likely was that he returned to find his family already butchered by someone else. Martinus' words may say something else; but it is only natural that he mourned them until he was found. He should be released, and the real culprit found. Cassius of Scalol, on whose territory this crime had happened, protested loudly; the whole new law wouldn't make any sense, don't fix what ain't broke. Anastasius of Asturias on the other hand clearly supported me; the old guard would have to accept the new innovations. They almost challenged each other to a duel as the young produx didn't show much respect of his elders while Cassius insulted the youth of today. I had to step in.

KJw6r50.jpg

Surprisingly, some accepted the new jurisdiction more then I would have expected. Titus Severus, grandson of the rebel Valens and produx of Bavaria, and Vespasian Carinthianum, actual proconsul of the provincia, brought their feud to Nova Roma. While their armies fought for the office in Bavaria. Both obviously had a great respect for me, but that two parties who were at arms against each other would ask for my judgement was strange, while also being very satisfying. Titus knew very well that his chances to win the war were close to zero. His chances to gain my support were not much higher. Vespasian was the man I had appointed to the office. And Titus' only 'right' to the title came from his grandfather, who held it shortly before his execution. He tried a shrewd tactic, full with deceit and threats, but it only worsened his situation. Vespasian was clearly in the right, and Titus would have to admit it.

I2AFgAW.jpg

The Mongols turned against each other a third time. Their first war was won by Khagan Hulegu without any battle, and saw the loss of Cumania for Batu. In his revenge, a bloody battle was fought for some scattered land across the steppes, and the Golden Horde emerged as the stronger one. As Batu tried to push into Valachia, he faced severe difficulties though; the regnum existed, but its authority had vanished. This wouldn't stop the Khagan; it's the reason that stopped him. Valachia was surrounded by enemies. Most of the land was occupied, and when the Mongols came, they only found a devastated landscape. They had some encounters with Pannonian and Bulgarian troops, as well as the ones of their own vassal, Leontius Hadrianus, former proconsul of Taurica, who sheltered the populace of the comitati he occupied, as the Mongols didn't attack their own vassal. As the frustrated horde roamed Valachia, Hulegu sensed an opening and reclaimed Saray. Let the Barbarians destroy themselves. If Valachia would be the cause for their definite fall, then all Europa would be shaped differently, hadn't I given in to the Valensian demands.

eXECmqJ.jpg

The threat from the East starting to subside, the last step of the Iberian reconquista would be taken. Assisting to the birth of our grandson Titus, the king of Portugal used his visit to announce the final step. Financing his efforts with 538 denarii, he could declare war on the still recovering Guardid Sultanate. I had pledged the Legion to support it. Iberia would soon be entirely in Christian hands.

HonmLES.jpg

The Western Empire seems to have passed any dangers threatening its stability, as the Hordes fight one another over their agendas and the Iberian borders hold. It remains to be seen if the Eastern provinces will join again the security of Rome or they would prefer their status.

The institution of the Codex and the new invention of Canonis all point out to a potential beginning of the birth of Renaissance(hopefully without the Plague)!

Anastasius is too wise to meddle into Eastern affairs again. And the codex may be an innovation, but one in Roman tradition; as for Canonis' invention, it is just a bit earlier then the arrival of the first cannons in Europe in our timeline, and he still has a lot to improve.
Finally, the Renaissance began in the year 867, when some brave Romans set out for a new home...:D
And we'll see about the plague.

I think I'll try some modding to... well, you'll see if it works. May take some time though, as I'm not too experienced.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter LI – Via Deis (The Way of the Gods)

With the Legion blocking the way for the Guardids over the pillars of Hercules, the start of the war was uneventful. Sadly, this motivated Vespasian Chertsis, grandson of the mad Anglian proconsul, to take action. Just as mad as his grandfather, he despised any pairing of males and females. Fanatic in his beliefs, marriage would just lead to the devil's victory. So he embarked on a ship that the patrols had intercepted – a viking ship. Together with a Swedish crew, Vespasian came close to the Amentian coast, close enough for Birgitta to investigate as part of my anti-raider plan – and being viciously murdered by Vespasian himself. One of the Swedes confessed the crime, and Vespasian was arrested and sent to Valiosta; but it didn't change the fact that my wife was murdered. The first one was on the viking's side; the second one murdered; I had no hopes, but my third marriage, to Einar's half-sister Gurli, would definitely be my last.

1YjWYa0.jpg

Marciana Verus, after making the initial steps to Romanize Frisia, would have to fill in the office of magistra inquisitiones. Her first duty was to safely bring Samboja of Krakow, sister of the young Polish king, to Nova Roma. Since the war for Slesvig, any negotiations with Poland were futile. Before his death, king Nambor openly welcomed raiders in Denmark, at the sole condition that they would raid the Imperial coasts. He won the satisfaction to harbour the Imperium's enemies, while they gained a safe haven in Denmark. Now, with young Izbor on the throne, count Boncza of Skåne had declared his support of Princess Samboja for the Danish crown. Samboja promised to break the hospitality to the raiders, what Boncza wanted to shelter his lands from eventual Swedish aggression. Fearing for her life at Izbor's court, she would be safe in Nova Roma. It was in the Imperium's interest to crown Samboja, and I secretly promised to intervene if Boncza wouldn't be successful.

d3Ub5ND.jpg

Just as I had issued an order to attack Meissen to claim Weimar for Maximus of Gutingi, as they were busy in Bohemian Opoliensis, the Guardids decided to land in Medina Sidonia, where Titus' army awaited them. The Moors had made multiple wrong choices. The Lusitanians were prepared, motivated and well equipped, and quickly forced them to retreat, when the Legion appeared at the horizon. Those who survived this first landing on Iberian soil were followed by the Legion, until none of them was left. Defeated, the Moors had to accept the fact that Iberia was lost.

0sQxMnA.jpg

As the Islam was in difficulties, the preachers in its service were as well. Being defeated in the third war of the Mongol hordes, a strong independence movement had delivered an ultimatum to Bugidai Jochid, Khan of the Ilkhanate, and had risen in arms. Bugidai looked for answers, answers his pagan religion couldn't give him. So he invited missionaries, amongst them Pontifex Alexander, who safely arrived in Fergana. I hoped his mission would be successful, and that the second horde would follow suit, embracing Martinus' teachings, foremost those of non-violence. That they wouldn't follow the example of the Valensian states, constantly at war.

DwnVCKW.jpg

I had no time to ask myself if I truly followed Martinus' word. I knew that I didn't. I couldn't. As ruler of the Imperium. Even the clergy acknowledged it. I had to take extreme measures if one didn't follow the codex or my explicit orders. And Marciana was my weapon. She was a mistress of the shadows like few before her. The founder of the Order of the Phoenix would be proud about how she used the Imperial agents to keep the pax romana and the stability of my rule. The first to experience Marciana's skill was Boudewijn of Brabant, usurper of the office of proconsul of Italia. Unlike in Bavaria, where actual pretenders to the Proconsulate fought for it, Boudewijn was only a recently subjugated Dutchman, unfit to rule in the Imperium's name. Even plotting to claim Breda for himself, the decision was easy and quickly made: He had to disappear. A poisonous snake ended his ambitions.

taf4Lec.jpg

In Iberia, I could end the official reorganisation by proclaiming Antonia proconsula of Asturias. It was entirely in Roman and Lusitanian hands, save for one last Bektashi fortress Titus had just attacked, and Aires' and Poppaea's son Titus could become the one to unite the peninsula under Roman rule again. My politic was crowned by success. Only the Shetlands and most of Norvegia would be needed to control all the European Oceanus Atlanticus. With king Åmund's death, I declared my intention to root out the last pirates' hideout in the Septentrionalis. Sadly, the two hundred men of Sveinn, the pretender to Norge's crown, were already there, and the Imperial army had to wait until they were gone, which would take some time, knowing the Norse tendency for long civil wars.

JMY25Xh.jpg

Instead of the sword, the holy word dominated this period. Pontifex' Alexander's mission to the Mongols ended in failure; Bugidai took the conversion of one of his courtiers as pretext to imprison him. The real reason was another; he and Batu of the Golden Horde had accepted preachers from one of India's three great empires, and the million Hindu gods were more appealing to the Mongols. Alexander reported how especially the tale of gods of destruction and war fascinated the hordes, and it came as no great surprise to him that Batu officially embraced Hinduism not much later, with Bugidai following suit after losing to his unruly former vassals, still clinging on to their old gods. The hope of pacifying them through religious means was gone.

8BgNqPr.jpg

With Batu's conversion came the victory over Valachia, as Graecia's armies were the last Romans to retire from the devastated, pillaged land, to defend against the Hospitallers. I couldn't recognize my uncle Aemilian any more. As he left for the order, he was a weak man, forced to serve as a perfectus by his dominant father, Valerian. Tertius let him go, and he flourished in the order's ranks. With much exercise, he had become a mountain of muscles like his father, known as 'the Strong' despite his advanced age, mercilessly advancing against his brothers in faith in Graecia. I wondered what I, what the Imperium would have become if father would have sent me to an order. With Hortensia in charge, would it have collapsed? Would I lead the fiercest fighters of the Martinian world to its last stand against the Mongol hordes? A terrifying thought.

9badEvm.jpg

Yet the religious affairs didn't end with this war. Bartholomaios II Ampelas, called 'the Lewd', had sired a lot of bastards, but his only legitimate son had died fighting the Caliph and the Seljuks in Armenia's try to expand its influence. With the rex's death, Bartholomaios III ascended the throne: grown up in Muslim captivity, he had become a follower of Allah. Nova Roma didn't defend Armenia from a Jihad only for them to convert to Islam shortly after. Bartholomaios began to spread his religion; the Imperium couldn't just watch. Not abandoning the Roman lifestyle despite his conversion, he still enjoyed a good drop of wine; this would be his worst mistake. One of his uncles, young Tachat, was declared legitimate and crowned as rex of Armenia, restoring Martinian rule in the Easternmost of the Valensian realms.

d8ZFenu.jpg

As Weimar fell under Roman rule, I turned my attention to the Polish civil war again. Boncza had occupied Bornholm, but his initial success was deceiving, as his advance on Polish core land culminated in small skirmishes and pillaging. Should Samboja, fallen in love and married to Philip Chertsis in the meantime, be crowned as queen of Denmark, Imperial intervention was necessary. Honouring our secret treaty, the Legion crossed the strait to Fyn. Faced with a superior foe, Izbor, now grown up, wisely surrendered his crown, concentrating his efforts on keeping the Polish throne.

h8OHgTN.jpg

With the Shetlands under Sveinn's control, I couldn't advance against Norge. Not willing to risk an invasion of its mainland, devastated by the ongoing wars and unable to supply any army, I had to wait. As always, there were critical voices raised in the Senate. Some, led by praefectus Marcellus of Corunium and proconsul Valerius of Anglia, voiced a radical approach: Give the outlaws, prisoners, enemies of the Imperium a chance to rehabilitate themselves by sending them to Norge. Most of them wouldn't survive the war; the others would return as changed persons after making it through the hardships of campaigning in such harsh conditions. They even forwarded Vespasian Chertsis, the radical murderer of Birgitta, as commander of the expedition, as he already proved his abilities as a viking. I couldn't decline this proposal enough, yet still managed to argue diplomatically, not letting myself be carried away by my rage.

hXk3qjF.jpg

Others, like Domitius of Baeza, impatiently waited for the command to sail. Preparing themselves in Amentiana's inland, he and his troops had burned down the field of a farmer as they set up camp. Domitius claimed that he had charged the farmer to make a fire, which was under control until a strong wind propagated the fire to his nearby crops. The farmer accused him of appearing with his men, completely drunk, torches in their hand, lighting his field voluntarily. Domitius would encourage them from the side, shouting 'Burn it down! It will be exactly like this in Norge!' As much as he insisted not to believe the farmer's lies, there was no sign of any camp fire found in the ashes of the field. So the farmer's version had to be true. Grudgingly, Domitius admitted his action and paid for reparations.

YSsADk6.jpg

As Typhus broke out in Illiberra, I was bound to bed as well. A sudden illness had gripped me, and I quickly had no energy left to stand. I sent quaestor Flavianusto arrange the best possible sanitary conditions to prevent the spread of the disease, and hoped for the best. The medici had assured me that my fever was not Typhus, but they didn't really know what it was either. Any treatment they tried didn't work, and the illness I had contracted in August still plagued me in December. Then, I heard of the death of my friend and ally, king Titus of Portugal, at the age of 53. I neared that age as well... Would I meet a similar end?

FxPb2o9.jpg

w45az6S.jpg

As I felt weaker and weaker, in March the populace found the person responsible for my illness. Or so they claimed. A woman from Italia, allegedly practising the dark arts. 'What nonsense... >cough< there are no dark arts...>cough< wasn't Mysterius the best example of how one can >cough< take advantage of the people's >cough< gullibility?' I had her released at once, and even if it was good to see that I was respected enough that the people worried about my health, they had to accept reality as it is.

jQSEeHZ.jpg

My condition didn't improve. On the contrary. My fate was sealed. Was it Symmachus' curse, as some claimed, that was finally striking me? Nonsense. As life started to leave my body, I reflected one last time about my rule. I had held together the Imperium after its darkest hour, centralized it, gave it a codified law, expanded its influence in the West, fought the raiders which terrorized its coasts, and prepared the unification of Iberia... and many other accomplishments. I had done my best. It was up to Poppaea to continue where I left. For the good of the Imperium. Heaven awaited me.

Aw0V12x.jpg

Far away

the disrupted unite

seeking peace

on troubled sea

I wasn't home over the weekend, so I haven't written the next update yet. Instead, I'll show some pictures of what I'm working on:

5E7092182C1DFDB8FCB0EC2A263A5F5323D4C780

1DD1E208C842DBE49B5E4056FFE27C0C64F9E632

C73882E02BC739DC69C85DB67017074DCE481D60

298598659E3E025DBAF6A6E7504827ACAF76108D

(third combat trait not intentional, Felix should have inspiring leader)​
It's advancing quite smoothly, and I'm confident this will be interesting. These characters have an interesting backstory that I'm going to present if when they enter the stage.

Reactions:
Chapter LII – A Legionnaire's view

Crassus Tavernus:

I didn't think that the illness of the great Imperator was so severe. I had just entered service in the Legion, and was being prepared in Austisium when I heard of his death. I just hoped that the daughter would live up to her father's expectations, those of the whole Imperium. I didn't want to have to be deployed against fellow Romans. I dreamt of the glory of battle, and my own small estate in Iberia after my twenty years of service in the Legion...

My old friend Marcus, keeper of the thermae of Nova Roma, alleviated my fears. He told me that she had raised the tax level for the episcopi, who shouldn't accumulate any wealth anyway, and that the nobility accepted her rule without much protest. The usual political talk was widened by concern about the Mongols, and Germania's attack on Meissen. Not a word fell about contesting her rule. Poppaea fulfilled the hope of stability, and the prosperity of Anastasius' rule could live on. Maybe I would live my days as legionary without any battle. Even if some lost raider parties appeared from time to time at my fortress' gates, they just casted a glare on our walls before leaving again, well aware that no gains awaited them behind, only death. I could become a true legionary without any danger.

xIZ0tYj.jpg

Canonius' invention continued to be improved, and I had the luck to watch his latest test. Magister Clementius was eager to incorporate some 'artillery' into the Legion, and even if it wasn't ready for field battles nor for sieges yet, we recruits should familiarize ourselves with the cannon. Maybe we would have to use it soon. With or without cannon, king Izbor of Poland's murder of his sister Samboja, making him the king of Denmark again, rose the tension to the Imperium. Word was that if he would continue his father's policy of supporting raiders, a full-scale invasion would dethrone him for good. While the Shetlands were finally occupied by the Britannian Army, the Legion would probably be used in Poland...

AsRmSfh.jpg

It wasn't. Izbor was smart enough not to draw the ire of the Imperatrix on him. Skjalg of Norge was defeated, ending the last pirate haven on the Septentrionalis, and Dutch peasants had to be put down. I could finish my training in peace, and return to Nova Roma as a legionary, ready to sail to the mainland to fight for the Imperium. The city bustled with more activity then I had ever seen; the benefits of the wise rule of Anastasius and Poppaea, who really deserved her epithet 'the Good' that I had heard so often, had started a building boom, ships from all over the Imperium lay in the harbour, money and wine were abundant... And I was there to defend this example of pure prosperity. I felt pure pride to have withstood all hardships of my training, and was more motivated than ever before.

WG0ICt5.jpg

Our ship was destined to leave, when a Pannonian messenger set his feet on Amentiana, hurrying towards the Senate. The splinter regni never sent any emissaries to Nova Roma, so it had to be important. Our departure was delayed. We speculated what rex Decius might want; did he want to ask for the Imperatrix' half-sister Caecilia's hand in marriage? Or did he ask for military assistance? The arrival of the Imperatrix herself, all Senators and the whole Imperial Guard in the harbour not much later waved all doubts: It wasn't Caecilia's hand Decius asked for. If the whole power centre of the Imperium moved at once so quickly, it could only mean one thing: The Mongols had attacked. Grinning, I received ten sestercii from Marius. He grudgingly admitted he had lost the bet, when we saw the principissa embark with the emissary on the Amalfitani's ship he had come on. 'I am sure the rex will be most grateful to you for your aid as well as for your sister's hand', we heard the man say. Now it was my turn to return the sestercii to Marius. Why didn't we leave earlier?

wfjvVrK.jpg

On the way South, I learned that the Mongols had a leadership crisis. The great khan Batu had left this world, and his Tengri son Khachigun fell victim to pneumonia not even a full year later. His first son Dodai had been murdered at the age of six years by the Hashashin the next year, and khan Uighurtai's new regent feared another death of the khan in the next year. Titiana joked that all hordes reach that point sooner or later, and compared the Mongols to the Turks, who were now truly disintegrating after their last defeat against the Mongols. But before the nomads turned on each other, the regent decided to unite them against an external enemy. He decided to push West. Into Pannonia. The regent asked for reinforcements by the great khan of the East, and it was said he had almost 90.000 men at his disposal. No matter how numerous they were, the full might of the Imperium would stop their advance.

c7G0mg1.jpg

The fields of Csák will always be burned into my memory. Coming from Valachia, a big Mongol army had attacked the position of the Army of the Aquitanian proconsul Decimus Nicolae, and legata Hadriana pushed us forward as fast as we could. The sound of thousands of hooves could be heard from a great distance, and the sight of them encircling the Aquitainian men, desperately clinging on to their shields, firing arrows into the huge cloud of dust, was terrifying. But we couldn't let this throw us off. In a tortoise, we advanced slowly into the dust's direction, where the Mongol commanders had already seized the situation. Quick and incredibly mobile, a swarm of horse archers detached, as light troops moved in to hit us, disorientated. My tortoise withstood more through luck, as the pikes sunk just in the right moment to pierce the charging Mongols, but it was horrible, especially for the flanks. I couldn't waste any thought on the others, as frenzy infantry charged next, focusing all my actions on the enemy, putting to good use all I had learned. Only as a horn astounded, and the Mongols retreated, this time for good and not to faint a new charge, I could raise my head. Bodies of Mongols, Romans and horses littered the field. Many arrows in the Mongols came from an unexpected direction; our saviours, those who had made the enemy retreat, were the reinforcements: 40.000 fresh Romans under the command of her Imperial Majesty herself. Wiping the blood out of my face, I finally understood the ancient phrase: Dulce bellum inexpertis. (War is sweet to them who know it not.)

2ni3NWw.jpg

Following the victory of Csák, the troops split up. Having received a lot of casualties, the Legion should await new recruits, while 12.000 soldiers under Silvia Severus and Martinus of Sicilia should pursue the fleeing horde. The Imperatrix' hope was surely that Martinus' experience with the Mongol tactics as one of the leaders of the Chersonese disaster would help, combined with Silvia's regional organizing knowledge, to cut off their escape route. The infantry slowed the enemy down enough to interrupt their advance, but not entirely. Martinus' aggressive and reckless behaviour was made responsible for the army to fall into a trap laid out by 18.000 advancing Mongols, and the defeat of Husi was absolutely crushing.

39kcRpZ.jpg

We didn't have much time to react. Martinus in all his wisdom had led the enemy directly to the Legion, and before we knew it, they had crossed the river and we were under fire. This time, the Mongols came in waves, and first left their right flank wide open. Enough of an advantage for Hadriana to push my flank forward, cutting into their center while Martinus' center fell behind. He later said he did it on purpose to allow the reinforcements to encircle the horde, but the fear in his eyes was apparent. Two crushing encounters with the Mongols have changed him.

o9evR3N.jpg

This time, most of the army was committed to the chase. We marched day and night in Transsylvania, until we were certain no Mongol had escaped. Then we started the counter-offensive. Not used to defend walls, but to storm them, the defenders were easily overcome in Moldavia, and we began to march Eastward. 15.000 Mongols were stationed on Taurica, and the legati were firm in their will not to let them unite with another force. Driven into a dead end in Panticapeum, the nomads having no boats, were forced to make a last stand, while more and more Romans poured in. We didn't manage to cut off their escape route entirely, and the horde fought valiantly, but stood no real chance.

33RQnS6.jpg

From one of the few prisoners, we learned that the khan's regent got his head cut off by other leaders making him responsible for the losses. The great khan himself would have stopped all means of reinforcement from the East, and the Golden Horde was left on its own. Their leaders saw that the war was lost, and surrendered. After two years of intense campaign, the 'unstoppable' Mongols were defeated. A great triumph would be held, and all wine in Pannonia seemed to flow into our camp, celebrating the victory.

frnRcm3.jpg

Magister militum Clementius had followed the reports closely from his palatium in Lutetia, working on the cannons. The old man had stopped fighting a long time ago, but his tactics had left a mark in the Mongol war, and he had well filled his office. The rumour goes that before as the message of our victory reached him, lying in his bed, he closed his eyes a last time, knowing that the Imperial Army was stronger then ever. Decimus of Aquitania, despite his age a hero since the battle of Csák, followed in his steps as magister. I would proudly follow this man into battle.

fJ2Ae3P.jpg

Upon her return, the Imperatrix fell gravely ill. It was feared the same illness that had taken her father would also claim her life. But there was a suspect this time: King Aires of Portugal, in Nova Roma for the triumph. It was generally known that he was furious his wife had let his first son go on the path of the perfecti. He fought back. If not Titus, no son of his should inherit the Portuguese throne. At least this was the theory that was presented to us. He had delved into the occult, and had poisoned Antonius and Poppaea with some strange drink. The occult would have driven him mad, a man who never had a strong character, easily fooled by the feeling of power over life he thought he had gained. In the first stadium of her illness, Aires' mad plot was revealed by Imperial spies, and the king of Portugal imprisoned. The cough intensified, and we didn't know if we served her or her young daughter, Aelia. Thankfully, she recovered. Aires was kept safe in the city's fortress.

olLUz9s.jpg

A bit of gender weirdness here... And Aelia is perfectly fine. Probably due to the born in the purple trait. Aires is a scholar.

The glory of the Mongol war fell mostly on the legati and us soldiers, with the exception of one man: Martinus Claudius, the proconsul of Sicilia. Partly responsible for Chersonesus, then banned of command until the Mongol war, where he had the full responsibility for Husi. He took all the blame. He had to, it was his mistake. I can very well imagine what he must have felt. A soldier, standing directly in harm's way, has to make quick decisions. Right decisions. Basically, defend or attack, with all the finesse of these two initial ways opening the way for countless possibilities. Martinus always chose the attack. It had been the wrong choice before, yet he held true to his philosophy in all situations, one had to respect him for this. He had to prove himself. Prove himself by seizing the Imperial throne. He told the wrong persons of this plan. And so, he found himself in a defending position, he who wanted to attack, against the Imperium as well as the African Muslims.

OKeB1fu.jpg

I would have to fight who I had always hoped not needing to. Romans. Martinus had gathered his army, and thousands of holy knights joined his cause against the Africans. It made our task easier. As our scouts reported intense fighting in Siracusa, Halsten, leader of the Varangians, decided to employ a tactic which should guarantee our victory: the Muslim armies clashed with the Sicilian, and we waited from a distance for the end of the battle. As the Muslims started to rout, the aquilia of the Legion appeared at the horizon. It must have been a terrible sight for the Sicilians. Just having achieved a close victory, even more enemies, troops from the Imperium, marched towards them. The holy knights set after the Muslims, as many of the Sicilians started running. Some resisted, but not long. Soon, all Sicilians save for the proconsul and his personal guard surrendered themselves.

6Pj41Ac.jpg

Martinus sought to take advantage of the Muslim invasion, and asked for a white peace. Surely the Muslims wouldn't want to face the might of the united Imperium. His proposal was a weak attempt to escape his way to justice. High treason couldn't just be cancelled by an official apology. So we had to drive out the Muslims. A hard campaign on the Sicilian island followed, but the Muslims are no Mongols, and as magister Decimus arrived to lead the war, we met their army in Misilmeri. Trying to copy the Mongol tactics, they didn't have nearly enough horses and skill to achieve this. Veterans of the Mongol war like me weren't impressed. Magister Decimus even less, confidently leading even the fresh recruits to stop their futile attempt before engaging the fight with their main infantry. The victory was clear, and with the Muslims driven out of Sicilia, Martinus had to give himself into Imperial custody. Valiosta awaited him.

B3KEDX0.jpg

But this time, we had no time to celebrate our victory. The Mongol regent miscalculated the time we needed to end Martinus' revolt, and had attacked Bulgaria. Once again, we had to march East.

YVEUyIo.jpg

Instead of including a prophecy (I've got no ideas for now...), I'll introduce more characters. As you've most probably guessed, something will cross the ocean... I've finished the culture file, the CB, the title, the important characters – what I still need to do is some events and localisation.

8D9FF43A74BED96D63BCE40D582FB3C8F1A91C4C

3B4F5896E9E2BBCAFF55F83B119E2BFC2E9C5011

02CC41870996DD6D320263F3B08B3E3BADB0D255

With the defeat of the Mongol Horde at Pannonia, one would think that the Khagan would not attempt another invasion so soon, yet it seems the Rex of Bulgaria was an easy target for his eyes..

I am looking forward to the story of the Arcadian characters you present, maybe we will have a Sunset Invasion of some sort(without the Aztecs)? :)

The Khagan didn't do anything. He's just a small child. Or maybe he wanted some Roman toys :D.

I'm done with my mod. I'm only having a small trigger problem, but nothing the console can't solve. Took the opportunity to create a cultural retinue (might be a bit late, but oh well) and localize Cathar as Martinian.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter LIII – The Mongols' last Invasion

Poppaea's now legendary wisdom was only overshadowed by the successes of the Imperial diplomacy and warfare. The Imperium was as stable as never before, only maybe under Imperator Julius. Not even the nobility questioned her rule, providing every support they could. Well, not every support. Her reform plan to grant her absolute power wasn't passed. Even if she assured her heir would revert the reform, the nobility didn't trust her on this. While I don't have a deep knowledge of politics, I gather that they feared for their autonomy and a second abuse of power like in the Ulpian war.

70knFw5.jpg

But against the Mongols, there was no discord. The Imperial legati could manoeuvre around the Danubius, securing Bulgaria's lands, and lay siege to Drobeta, while speculating on a slow Mongol advance due to an erupted independence revolt which also encompassed most of Valachia. One could expect that the horde would focus on holding their own lands before trying to expand. Yet these barbarians were only out for blood. Even after the experience of the Ilkhanate, losing all their lands and only clinging to some loyalist troops, the Golden Horde didn't even try to stop the independence war. As such, they completely surprised the army destined to march to Constantia despite it having veteran commanders of the first Mongol war. The defeat in Strehaia was crushing, and all efforts had to be put into defending Ursova, where the horde was heading to next.

qljEXro.jpg

The leader of the Mongol center was terrifying. Megujin Arslanbekid, 'The Bow of Tung-Ak', as he was called. While the flanks made constant progress against their counterparts, the center, despite thecommand of Valentia, who claimed to hear divine advice in military matters, quickly began to fold under the harassment of Megujin's men. Only thanks to our reinforcements, the center could finally charge under heavy casualties, forcing the enemy to retreat only after the flanks poured down on them as well. As ashamed as I was to even think it in front of the fallen, I was glad the Legion didn't fight Ursova in the front.

iWD1d0t.jpg

I was a part of the around 30.000 troops who should chase the routing enemy deep into Pannonian land. Rex Decius had to deal with many rebellions after the losses of the Mongol War, and the supply situation was bad. The Mongols probably hoped it would be. But it would take more to break our morale then skirmishes, ambushes on our supplies, marching through a war zone where we weren't even involved. In Chianadia, a greater battle was fought again, and we were eager to break the horde for good. The Bow was there in first row, pushing forward his tired and demoralized men. And before I knew it, I faced the Mongol general, charging. I could lift my shield just before an arrow hit it at the height of my eyes, then felt a shock as his lance hit it. Without thinking, I threw my spear in his direction, and heard a horse crumbling through close to me through all the noise of the battle. Megujin's horse was mortally wounded, and its rider half under the dying animal. Seeing their leader fallen, the riders fled. The dust settled. Captain Halsten saw the Mongol trying to free himself from the weight of the horse, full of hatred in his eyes, and went closer. He congratulated me for this capture, and asked for my name. Then, with a blow of his axe, he severed Megujin's head from his body.

nCXDLgY.jpg

I knew that Varangians were rough, but this surprised me. He was an important captive after all, and he hadn't asked the Imperatrix what to do with him, but executed him right on the spot. I heard him mumble about a formidable opponent, one who deserved to die on the battlefield. Some talk about Valhalla. Even if the light of Martinus' teachings had reached Scandinavia, the old gods weren't entirely dead, I saw. One half of the Mongol army, around 4.500 men, escaped that day, on the way back to the steppe. A way we wouldn't have to follow: After the relief force of 6.000 men sent by the Khan Uighurtai's regent had been defeated to the last man by proconsul Septimius' Eastern Army, he had negotiated a peace. Their reinforcements from the East ended, their lands revolting, their greatest general dead – the Mongol threat must have ended for good.

jU9tcTi.jpg

As Garðariki advanced on Germanic territory, the coasts of the Imperium were finally safe as well. The kingdom of Norge disappeared, and few were the raiders adventuring from Finland, and together with the Teutons, the kings Vespasian and Valdemar would reduce them more and more. At the end of Poppaea's reign, only three small counties remained raiders.

8B8Yjh7.jpg

Some radical and violent Fraticelli heretics had to be suppressed in the next ears, but else it was peaceful. The Martinian realms were all safe, stable and flourishing save for Pannonia, while the only realm to somehow rival its power in the past, the Seljuk Turks, crumbled into a divided mess. While the Sultans had defeated the eighth decadence revolt, its vassals couldn't bear it much longer. The Hashimid Khanate of Mesopotamia split apart, and thousands of Turks were fighting for their own claims. So many that the current Sultan, Basbuga Seljuk, questioned his faith and became Yazidi. Whatever went on in the Turkish lands, it was a bloody mess the Mongols would take advantage of – if they could. After their loss in the second Roman-Mongol-War, the independence revolt won, and any unity in the steppes ended.

hMSMB9v.jpg

As the Legion celebrated the definite triumph over the Mongols in Nova Roma, I heard news from them. Their ancient faith proven weak, khan Hulegu of the Ilkhanate hoped to gain salvation and land by embracing Nestorian Christianity. Some soldiers joined him, but that wouldn't help him. The Horde wouldn't reunite, under any faith, all were sure about it. Most of all Captain Halsten, who knew a society based on power as he was from Norge. I had a lot of respect for him, not only due to his position, but also as a person. As such it saddened be a lot to hear of his murder. He should have gotten a glorious death in battle. He deserved it. And believed it. Together with his Guardsmen, I assisted to the traditional burial he was allowed, cast out on a burning ship to the sea. May his gods watch over him.

uHxy08j.jpg

I couldn't really enjoy the triumph and my time in Nova Roma due to this incident before I had to set out for the continent again. Salerno was at war with the Hospitallers again, to seize Brindisi, and the Imperatrix had decided to stop these wars. The Knights should defend the Eastern Martinian lands from Graecia, and not fight against brothers of the faith. She asked magister Claudius to surrender all Italian land to the Imperium immediately, so that they could focus on their true task. Claudius didn't accept her terms. He would rather die than to surrender lands that were in the order's hands for centuries. So we sailed to Italia. And defeated the mercenaries in Claudius' service in Barium. After the Mongols, it was no challenge. The Great Company – it was not so great when it had to face the Legion.

jp87Fk2.jpg

This first defeat wasn't enough for Claudius to give up. The wealth of the order was used to hire another group of mercenaries, which marched together with some of the order's laymen to Apulia. Facing them on the same battlefield as Roma did Hannibal long ago with fewer combatants, the victory was clear. The war found its end, and the res publica of Salerno occupied Apulia now as well.

jYlqTX3.jpg

I had become one of the eldest of the Legion, surviving both Mongol wars, barring the way of the Muslims into Sicilia, facing Hospitaller mercenaries as well as Romans loyal to traitors. But there would have to be one more war before I could retire to this Iberian estate I would receive for my service. For Poppaea's brother-in-law, stopping the Lithuanian mercenaries roaming through Transsyylvania. Lightly armoured and undisciplined, looters more than professional fighters, the locals sustained some casualties while the Legion was unscathed. Only the Mongols seriously challenged our might. Decius' crown was easily secured, as the rebels' only holdings had been taken by Illyria.

hnByhJp.jpg

My last war. I had lived twenty years as a Legionary, and I didn't regret my decision. The Imperatrix herself congratulated the veterans, and awarded them lands in Iberia. Finally I would be able to feel the Hispanian sun, plant my own wine, and share stories of war as my past. The Imperium was safe, no inner conflicts, no outer threats, and it was partly my achievement. As of all the others, those who returned and those who did not. When the Imperial quaestor, the heir to the crown Aelia, symbolically gave me my dismissal and my estate, I knew it was over. No more fighting for me. I could enjoy my future in safety.

My estate wasn't far from Corunium, at the North-Western end of Iberia. A nice place to end my life. Far from the East with its Inter-Muslim Jihads, its Mongol collapses. Safe from the raiders sometimes still hitting the Anglian coast. Safe from the politics of Nova Roma I would never understand. Though I did understand the logic of principissa Aelia's marriage to Aetius Pompeius, from one of the most influential families of the Imperium. I also heard he knew his way around in Senatorial intrigue.

UDVH6vr.jpg

Even with Poppaea's death the 10th February of 1278, I was confident that war wouldn't reach me. Aelia's succession would go as smooth as Poppaea's one, I was certain. With a glass of my own wine in hand, I looked at the sea, a bit nostalgic of my travels. How far had I travelled over the years? Around all of Europe, from Nova Roma to Bulgaria. I missed it a bit. Not the fighting part though. I drank some more wine, and started to wonder how I got it as strong. Even if I had only drunk a bit, I saw some dozen ships at the horizon. Was I hallucinating? Now I even heard footsteps. At least no sounds of the sea! That's when I saw a group of people clad in red approaching. Now I even saw legionnaires? I put the glass aside. Before I stopped wondering if they were real or not, the man in front addressed me a question: 'Excuse me, dominus, but could you tell me where we are?'

HotWxgD.jpg

You'll see soon enough. ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter LIV – Unexpected Visitors

Felix Lupis:

Well, here I am now. The old world. Home of my ancestors. Unlike them, we knew they existed. Only a matter of sailing East until one hits land. Of course, with the tale of Arcadius the Founder in mind, I knew it would be a long journey. Not willing to strand in the lands of the far North like he did, in full winter, I preferred to lead the fleet in warmer sea. The wind wasn't favourable most of the time, but thankfully, our provisions were enough. I wonder what coast it can be that is in sight. Hispania? Gallia? Africa? It is too hot and dry to be Britannia. I've read that it always rains there... Even if it is most probably an exaggeration, like many of the old tales. I wonder if Romans are ruling this land...

'Not a moment too soon!', Aurus exclaims. 'We're running out of wine.' The Cebecian was getting on my nerves. He had to know this wasn't just one of his family's expeditions along the coast. Yet he always complained: There wasn't enough wine, no woman held him company, and we were all too severe... He had to accept the hard voyage in front of us, but never really did. I am sure that he still dreams of returning to the great palatium Vendetis, his old days of partying, his life in luxury. Only because his family is one of the richest in all Arcadia, actual leaders of Cebecia, he thinks he deserves extra treatment. This influence is the cause why he is here! A young man who had everything wouldn't be expected on a war expedition into an uncertain future. But he is if that's his only choice.

It happened during one of his numerous orgies. While Aurus and his guests were merrily feasting, he retired to his chambers at some point – and allegedly raped, together with Daierian Caniena, son of the republic's actual admiral, Sergius Emptus' – head of the second of Cebecia's families – daughter Alicia. Both vehemently denied it. Where was she if she brought forward such grave accusations? Sergius, after Aurus' tale, began sobbing in the republic's court. His graceful daughter, so bright and beautiful, wasn't able to live with that shame. He hadn't seen her since the morning after she returned from the young Vendeti's palatium and told him what happened. He feared the worst, and sent out men to find her – which they did, her wrists slid open, sitting at the favourite place of her childhood, watching the river flow... All because of these two young men, who thought they were over the law. That snake had well played his cards. Aurus was known to celebrate wild orgies, and Daierian was his best friend as well as a renowned womaniser who couldn't accept a defeat. An easy way for the Empti to weaken two of their contestants in the republic, should the process end in Sergius' favour. If the Canienae and Vendeti would work together, he wouldn't stand a chance in the future. His motives were clear. But not for the two accused. Too naïve to wield a good defence, some of Sergius' minions specifically introduced into the orgy to make these statements cast darkness over the two, and they didn't manage to free themselves from this shadow hanging over them. The whole process went against them... Only the influence of Aurus' family saved him. Daierian had no such luck, as most of the 'evidence' saw him as instigator and his family hadn't got the current praefectus in their ranks. Aurus was only banished from Cebecia, while Daierian would be executed. A victory on all points for the Empti. I later managed to reconstruct the true motive of Alicia's death – her father certainly arranged it for she loved Aurus, which made his defence even more complicated. Four problems solved: His 'unbearable' daughter dealt with, a Vendetus-Caniena alliance prevented, a huge loss of prestige for his rivals, and two promising young sons of the enemies gone. Aurus on the other hand had nowhere to go. Accustomed to his life of luxury, he had huge difficulties outside of Cebecia, until he met with my army preparing the crossing – and proved a valuable addition, for his knowledge with money. When he wasn't throwing a wild party, he was known as a prodigious merchant and administrator. We would have much to do of this over the sea, so I had him join us.

7mlZHnV.jpg

Of course, Aquilius has to counter Aurus' words. 'Who cares about wine. As long as we're all alive and in fighting shape, there's nothing to worry.' He grunts. 'Typical Cebecian. Only caring about their comfort.' It will always be the same, but the tone is much more civil now. I remember when Aurus joined, Aquilius protested loudly. 'We already have Cebecian soldiers, all right, but one of these damned nobles, only over my dead body!' He will never change. Yet he finally starts to accept the situation. I need as much harmony within my ranks as possible if we are to be successful. And the Blind is one of the key parts.

Aquilius Atlantis, 'the blind Eagle'. Former magister navis of one of Atlantea's wealthy families. Until that tragic day when he had the misfortune to see a Cebecian ship accosting during a hunt. The harbour of Atlantea was on the other side, and Aquilius found it suspicious. He came closer, and saw a Cebecian woman, Ienesia Amosca, discussing something that seemed important with a man clothed like a local. Not being able to discern who it was, he crept closer. 'Cebecia is of course willing to support whatever you are planning, as long as you hold true to your word... controlling Atlantea would be very beneficial for us both', he heard Ienesia say. Whoever it was, he planned high treason to the Atlantean people! Aquilius got closer – and noticed by one of the Cebecian's guards. The man quickly turned away to hide his identity, and the guards snatched Atlantis. After a short deliberation, that seemed to him like an eternity, he was blinded and released again. They reasoned that nobody would believe him, and that it would be better than to let him disappear. A pirate attack or some unlucky confrontation with an animal would be more logical than whatever he would be able to say. The conspirators were proven right: He tried to convince the republic's leaders of the Cebecian threat, but they didn't listen. But his friends and many others did. Aquilius swore revenge on those who had taken his sight, and blamed the government to be 'blinder than he is'. He set out on his ship, leaving Atlantea behind, and started a career as pirate, pillaging Cebecian ships. Atlantea was betrayed and conquered, but Aquilius roamed the sea, sank their ships, and even got his revenge on Amosca, capturing and torturing her until her dead body hung from the sail of a ghost ship, rumoured to still float across the gulf, loud screams of pain preceding its arrival... Aquilius couldn't see the effects of his torture, so he had to hear it, he said. I had heard of his cunning attacks, and with Cebecia reinforcing their fleet, his small vessel and crew couldn't keep up their raids, and instead he joined me.

slphkS5.jpg

'He's entirely right. They are all about their money. Put them into a dangerous situation, and they'll send their guards to fight for them. Weaklings.' Paulina, her axe over her shoulder, underlines Aquilius' statement. She could easily speak of weaklings, as most people are one compared to her, the fierce Amazon of the East. One has to admire her, and I'm glad I'm her friend and not her enemy. Well, friend is maybe a bit too much. I do hope she stays here though, she's a most valuable addition to the army together with her combat-proven troops. She pushes her axe into Aurus' arms. 'Here, try to hit me!' Aurus sounds like if he's just run some milia, almost can't lift the axe, swinging it was out of the question. 'If we're all... huff... weaklings... nyarhh... why are we the greatest power in... hhhh... Arcadia then?' 'In your dreams, money bag!' I think I have to intervene once again.

Paulina Betocia. Called 'the Amazon' by her friends, 'Bloodaxe' by her enemies. She was rex Julius VI's enforcer in his last war. A great monarch unlike his predecessors, to the dismay of his neighbours, Teranova, the warrior kingdom of the East, had under his guidance invaded Hyperborea. With a relatively small, but capable force, Julius had landed on Hyperborea's continental lands, and quickly advanced towards their capital Inium. Ice Queen Octavia sent the whole might of her regnum to stop the small Teranovan invasion force, but in a battle demonstrating the truth of their reputation, Julius VI won a decisive victory against the far more numerous Hyperboreans. He had planned and executed the invasion perfectly. Positioned at a strategic choke point in the woods, many troops were well-hidden along the enemy's path, and their sudden attack from the rear disorientated the defenders. As the rex charged down, it must have seemed as if they were far more numerous, and I can well imagine the terror and panic the Hyperboreans must have felt. They fell into disarray, and Teranova's elite mercilessly slaughtered them. Rumours vary, speaking of twenty to hundred times more defenders than attackers. The continent was lost. Octavia had to flee the continent to Ericiana, and Julius installed Paulina as his representative in the newly conquered region. She earned her nickname and her place at my side only later...

YAR5bzM.jpg

'Enough! We are all sitting in the same boat here, and nobody cares if you are Cebecian, Teranovan or Carthaginian for that matter! Europe doesn't know us, and we don't know what expects us. Our strength has to lie in unity, like it did against the Australes! So unite, as Arcadians!' Ursus intervenes before I can. Paulina shoots him a glare of pure hatred, before calming down and taking back her axe. 'Hmph. Just so you know, I'll keep an eye on you. I'll see what you're really worth in battle. It would be a shame if some European finished my duty.' She turns away and heads to the other end of the boat.

Ursus Borealis. The Lionheart, silent hero of the Hyperborean people. After the Teranovan conquest, the smart smith from Micica knew what the people had to expect. A life in half-slavery, second-class-humans under the conquerors, their workers, their feeders. He gathered followers, before Julius' troops reached his home, and set out into the woods, where he started to lead a brutal guerilla war, ambushing Teranovan patrols, interrupting supply lines, shaking their grip on the region on every occasion. Rex Julius put a price on his head allowing to build a wonderful palatium for oneself, yet still he continued. Paulina, as the rex's ducissa, couldn't get a hold of him, and her anger built more and more. She brutally suppressed any less gifted copiers of his methods, but the pressure on her from the equally furious Julius grew. Then she issued an ultimatum: He should surrender or no Hyperborean would be left alive. Ursus speculated she would never do such a thing, but when Paulina eradicated Micica from the map, massacring anyone inside the city, leaving no stone on its place, he was shocked. They preferred to rule over an empty region. Yet he couldn't surrender himself to the Teranovans, or all hope would be lost, and he and his followers end in the most miserable of ways. If he would escape to Ericiana or anywhere else, it would give Julius a reason to attack. If he wasn't sold to the rex. The Austral invasion saved him. And when he decided to follow me to Europe, eluding Julius VI's grasp for good, Paulina did as well. Whenever he made a mistake, she would be there. She had vowed to deliver Ursus' head to her rex, and as soon as she could, she would. To Europe or further beyond – she wouldn't return to Teranova without this trophy.

qB1xXVk.jpg

No discussion this time? Not even a small threat? She's as much under tension as we all are, even if she doesn't show it. 'Maybe, now as there is no going back, they finally start to understand that we have to stand together. As Confederates, we are strong. We can't surprise the Europeans like the Australes. If the rivalries break out here as well, we are doomed. So it is nice to see.' As always in diplomatic matters, I have to agree with Minucia. Our might entirely depends on our unity.

And if not for her, I could never be here with such a great army. Minucia Valentiae and her son Marcus weren't soldiers like the Northerners. She had served as cancellaria to the dux of Micabis, and was responsible for most of the new regnum's successes. Dux Victor was the son of the founder of the southernmost and youngest state of Arcadia, surrounded by a lot of barbarians, and the one leading the defence of Micabis' walls countless times. The city stood like a rock against the sea, and there was no telling what would happen in the future. How long could they hold out, or would they overcome their foes? That is, until Minucia came forward. A young diplomat, she convinced half of the surrounding tribes, those who had yet to try to overrun the city's walls, to join Micabis within twenty years. She promised them modern military equipment, Roman lifestyle, and the wealth needed to afford it. These chiefs knew what it was for the century of Roman influence here, and knew of their rivals' failures trying to take the city. If you listened to Minucia, you could think we were living gods gracing the natives with our presence and offering them the once in a lifetime chance to finally be free of all worries. Besides, it would be a perfect occasion to deal once and for all with their rivalling tribes; subjugating them to force your fierce rival to serve as your servant ever after. Her description might have been even better, making Micabis sound like paradise, and dux Victor soon could live up to his name, crushing the other half with these additional troops. Minucia carefully manoeuvred the ducatus amongst the Arcadian powers, and Micabis was now a power to be recognized, the regnum of the South. Minucia was a true diplomatic genius, who knew what to do when the Australes came.

OFX38T5.jpg

'How true. We shall seek a nice place to make landfall. We deserve some rest after that hard voyage.' Only one looks like he doesn't need any. Pius sits at the same place he sat during the whole crossing, and prays. In fact, I haven't seen him do anything else since he set foot on the ship. 'Your prayers have been heard, Pius. We have reached land!' He ignores me, deeply sunk into his thoughts. I still wonder what he does here. Then, I remember his history.

Pius Martinianus, one of the Aurebaians, voluntary exiles from the society. Seeking their place besides themselves, living strictly after Martinus' teachings, who have otherwise lost most of their grip on people. Cebecians unable to stand the greed of the merchants, Teranovans who have no taste for battle, recent barbarian converts, and people fleeing poverty or war make most of Aurebaia's citizens. A group only surviving from its own agriculture and fishing, where any object is in the possession of everyone. No violence, no greed, no procreation – no sin barring the return to heaven. Paradoxically, in a place called 'the golden bay'. Sometimes, a few of them spread the word. And Pius, whose true origins still remain a mystery to me, went South. He had the misfortune to run into the Australes, who didn't want to listen to a god of peace. If Pius could have spoken with them, he would have experienced the same treatment. He was captured, and the Australes surely planned to sacrifice him to their gods at their next stop. Luckily for him, there was no next stop, but Cianarea. In the course of the battle, he was freed, but killed a man in self-defence. It doesn't matter why he did it, he couldn't return to Aurebaia as a sinner. Not knowing where he could go, he settled for giving my army spiritual comfort.

QRm2dUQ.jpg

'You're wasting your time, Felix.' The twin voices. I'm really not in the mood. 'Even we didn't manage to distract good Pius here. He's blinder than Aquilius.' The two giggle. I smile back. 'Don't forget what the poor man has lived through.' Glacia is quick to make a sarcastic comment. 'The horror on earth! I wonder how he can still be alive!' 'Can you imagine a life without the sins that make it worth living?' Aurora adds to clear any possible doubt I could have about what they mean. 'Very well. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in Europa. Now let me prepare the landing.'

The Lacis twins. Aurora and Glacia. Young women of an unmatched beauty in all of Arcadia. A beauty you shouldn't let fool you. The story of the Fluvii of their home Aspesia shall be my example. The story begins when the head of the Fluvius family assumed control of the noble's council. Licinius Fluvius accepted bribes from Cebecia in exchange for exclusive trading rights while also lending his ships to Teranovans who terrorized the coast. A double game he played with many others as well, what would seal the fate of the twin's father, the Fluvii's cook. Seeing the opposition against him in the noble's council grow, led by the Ocenani, he invited them as well as their rivals, the Pluviae, to speak of political matters. He expected both to prepare a bribe for him in order to rule against the other in their latest squabble on the council, and wasn't disappointed. But it has never been his intent to take these bribes. Instead, he had the Pluviae's bribe stolen. And Marius Oceanus poisoned during the feast in the guests' honour. A thorough search of Fluvius' palatium revealed the bribe hidden in the cook's chamber. He was executed, Valerian Pluviae exiled. Licinius had regained lost trust, and his rule was secure again.

But even if he thought he had eliminated his opposition, he had created one. The Lacis twins knew their father would never accept a bribe. Just the day before the murder, the hole in the wall where the bribe was found didn't exist, and he was too busy to excavate it. They knew who was responsible. And swore revenge. Taking full advantage of their natural gifts, they planned the end of the Fluvii. Once the ground was prepared, all went very fast. Glacia seduced Licinius' magister navis, who revealed the double game of his master. She told the Cebecian merchants in secret, and they weren't exactly amused. Aurora on the other side enjoyed the company of Licinius' son and the Teranovan emissary, and used Fluvius' method against himself, murdering the emissary holding his son responsible. The damage done, they retreated to the capital, manipulating and bribing the rest of the council with Cebecian financial assistance. A Teranovan raiding party completely destroyed Fluvius' village for his betrayal, slaughtering Licinius' family. He barely escaped, managed to reach the capital – where he was sentenced to death for the arranged murder of Marius Oceanus. As his head rolled, the Fluvii, mightiest nobles of Aspesia, were exterminated to the last man. Their revenge was accomplished. A village was razed, a family dragged into disgrace and faded out of existence. All because Licinius made the wrong enemies. A perfectly executed scheme – and I put the pieces together thanks to the stories my soldiers told. The duo was dangerous. But it could be useful. Settled down in Cebecia as 'friends' of the wealthy, I managed to gain them for my expedition, mostly due to my knowledge.

PDLfoqz.jpg

After some encouraging words to the troops, Ursus finally sights a bay with no signs of human activity, where we drop anchor. Having solid unmoving soil under our feet after this long time on sea is a feeling of pure happiness. Only Aquilius, who lived most of his life at sea, where he feels safer, stays on board. The Blind and his friends still reminiscence their old pirate days. They will need all motivation they can get should it come to conflict, so I let them stay on the ships, while the bulk of the army gets some rest at land.

I don't want to alert whoever lives here. They can be hostile just as they can be hospitable. I'll have to make contact with a small group. Hopefully they speak Latin here. 'Look, there's a house over there!' Perfect. Such a peaceful house, surrounded by vineyards, shouldn't be full of bloodthirsty thugs. If it is, then... it's well hidden. I shouldn't take any risks. 'I'll speak to them. Minucia, Aurus, you follow me as diplomat and merchant. A silver tongue and the words of the money are understood everywhere. Ursus and Paulina – I need to prevent any one of you to commit a dumb action. You, Fabius, Decius, Septimius and Nepotian will follow me in case we need to fight. And the Lacis twins as well. I don't want you to get bored, and we may need to resort to other methods where you are invaluable assets. All right, get your things together, try not to openly carry around your weapons, and then let's move.'

The way to the house leads through the vineyard, and it strikes me as oddly familiar. The house of the small property looks as if built in Roman style. Now, who would live there? Such a calm place is equally well suited as criminal hideout as it is to retire from the world's worries, who surely also exist here. I doubt they are all Aurebaians here. Some pragmatism is always needed in religious questions, and as the history goes, the European rulers always only listened to the good parts of their faith.

'If this is just a way to get rid of me, know that no matter how many Europeans you may have hired, my axe will split them in half.'

'I've been in Europa as long as you are. Put aside the fact that I have nothing to pay them with, have you seen me speaking to one of them?'

'Who was it who saw the house first? You! Like you knew there was one!'

'It's only my good sense of observation. I have always had a good eyesight.'

'Paulina should know that, as she has suffered the consequences of your observations', Aurora giggles.

Was it such a good idea to take them with me? 'Listen up, we're almost at the house. No more fighting. We don't know what expects us, and nobody will tell me if you are at each other's throats all the time! We need each other to rely on!'

'Excuse me, dominus, but could you tell me where we are?'

'Of course! Come here, lie down. Have some wine. I'll gladly tell you all there is to know about this region', the man answers in Latin. Wherever we had arrived, Romans were most probably in control. And this man is happy to have some strangers as visitors, so I guess there is no war going on and no rivalry between Romans like in Arcadia. He watches our strange group closely as we enter his small villa, but seems satisfied. 'Welcome to Galicia, strangers! I must say that it has been a long time since I last saw soldiers here. The last one here... was me!' He is in the mood of joking. We are soldiers, well, most of us, he had immediately noticed that, and he is... joking. Good. A lot must have happened since the last ship from the East arrived in Arcadia, carrying prisoners of a great civil war. 'I would like to hear a bit about you. But first, the answer to your question: We are about ten milia pasuum South of the great merchant urbs of Corunium, at my humble estate. Crassus Tavernus, to your service.'

I have never heard of Corunium. Must have been an ancient settlement, or at least its name must have been reused, as it was so often the case in the Second Imperium. Is it still the Second Imperium? I would have to find this out later. In the city. So I decide to be as honest as possible with Crassus without revealing my true cause, so that he may tell us where it is. I know where Galicia is, so I have to make use of it. I turn towards my companions. 'Then we're not there yet.' Before any of them can say something wrong, and I know some who would certainly do, I speak to our host again: 'We are going to Corunium from Lusitania, to take a ship to Nova Roma. But I fear we're lost. Thankfully, we have found your estate, dominus Tavernus.'

He's buying it. 'Are you maybe from princeps Antonius' personal guard? Then he should have chosen better ones than some who lose their tracks so close to Porto.' He laughed, and poured us some wine. 'Does the princeps want to see his mother's burial? Then he must take the fastest ship he can find, yes. The Sulpicii may not have the best reputation, but they have the fastest ships, I assure you. Oh, but I'm diverging. I don't know what happens to me today... The wine seems to be too strong... I've seen a lot of ships, now you... I don't know if I'm just hallucinating...'

'Maybe you are.' Time for a small gamble. In the worst case, Tavernus asks us to leave. He doesn't look like a fool who would take on eleven others alone. Aurora opens her mouth, but seems to understand what I'm planning before saying anything. She shares her idea with the others. I go on: 'Don't you remember me, Crassus? Your old friend from your days as a legionary?' I am maybe pushing it a bit too far. Behind me, I hear Paulina gripping her hidden weapon. Those Teranovans. Violence is not always the solution. I guess it is if you are so good at it. But my gamble pays off.

'Is it... Is it you, Valentian? If I'm even too drunk to recognize you immediately, something must be very wrong with me. I think I should go to bed.' He stands up, not entirely straight.

'The road to Corunium?', I insist as nice as I can.

'Just behind the domus, just follow the via until you see the urbs. Now excuse me. I need some rest.'

Hmm....

I do wonder what exactly this new group want (Also, you have me curious about the map for Arcadia). Also, with the event come some very useful people. Very useful people who may yet be a knife in the dark for Nova Roma.

A league of extremely talented people arrive in the Roman Empire with their intentions less than noble(?) perhaps.. I was wondering, could not the Arcadian language develop different words and expressions from the original Roman language, due to the geographic and time barrier? Although that is just an imaginary assumption of course, nevertheless it remains to be seen what their purpose of their arrival is! :)