• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 1 : Cherson, its theme, and the brief life of Theodoros Dalassenos (1066-69)

1472649626-1-theme-of-cherson.png

The maximal extent of the theme around the beginning of the first millenium

There has been Greeks in Taurica[1] at least since the VIIth century BC when settlers from the Aegean founded trade outposts and new cities around the Pontus-Euxinos[2]. Independent cities thrived there thanks to their proximity with the Scythian people ; later on they would pass under the protection of Rome with some Roman camps being established on the Taurican peninsula while the Kingdom of the Cimmerian Bosphorus would become a client of the Empire. During the Great Migrations the area would be invaded by Goths[3] and Rome would not control the area until Justinian integrated it once more in the Empire. Wars with the Khazars would see the cities pass from one empire to the other until the foundation of the Theme of Cherson around 840. Cherson would serve as an important place for the diplomacy of the Empire, close to the Khazars, the Pechenegs and the Rus. It is also in Cherson that Vladimir the Great of Kiev converted to Christianity in 988. With the fall of the Khazars, Constantinople was allowed to increase its presence in the area, even retaking the Cimmerian Bosphorus[4]. But the Rus’ of Kiev would conquer the Bosporus and create a small principality centred around Tmutarakan, although the claims to the whole eastern coast were never forgotten by Constantinople.

1472649633-2geopolitical-situation.png

Thus in 1066 when appears Theodoros Dalassenos the theme was reduced to the two provinces of Cherson and Theodosia located on the southwestern part of the Peninsula. In the East the Cimmerian Bosphorus was controlled by the Prince of Kiev, one of the many Rurikids claiming the mantle of Vladimir the Great. Between Kiev and Tmutarakhan lied the open steppe which had not seen many changes since the time of Herodotus and the Scythians. In the West, the once mighty Khanate of the Pechenegs had been forced west of the Dniepr and was reigning over the Vlach homelands while in the East lied the Great Khanate of the Cumans (or Kiptchaks), the mightiest force in the Eurasian steppe. The Alan tribes were still fiercely independent, resisting any encroachement of their lands, be it from a Cuman horselord or from the King of Georgia.

1472649608-3-theodoros.png
We have already covered the alleged ancestry of Theodoros and we have seen how scarce the sources are at his subject. The same goes for his appointment in power. While the Byzantine empire was on the verge of feudalization during the XIth century it was still in many ways an Autocratic Empire with an important administrative apparatus. But looking at some of the coins minted in Cherson[5] and found in a Byzantine treasure in Novgorod, it seems that the Dalassenoi exerted a power relatively unseen in the rest of the Empire. There is no sign of division of the theme between several officers like seen in the rest of the provinces, and the regional attachment of the Dalassenoi would only grow as their office was confirmed by the Doukai. The theme had always been a separate division within the Empire, that because of its remoteness and its importance in the Pontus Euxinus Trade ; many cities held rights acquired during the conquest of Justinians and not lost ever since, even killing strategoi when their power was felt too heavy. But it seemed to change during the 1050’s. It seems, although no strong evidence has been found on the subject, that Damianos Dalassenos, the father of Theodoros would have married the daughter of one of the local magnates of Cherson, and that he would have used this influence to enforce the power of his family in the peninsula, using the vast ressources at his disposal to control effectively the theme, leading to the appointment of his son as strategos of Cherson. Theodoros appears first in a military report detailing the forces sent by the theme during the Armenian War of 1066. Further administrative notes let us think that the man was not particularly skilled, the Mystikos of the Counciliarum not considering him “as a threat”, because of “his weakness and cowardice” but deeming a good enough choice for dealing with “merchants and steppe barbarians”.

1472649589-4-marriages.png
Apparently unmarried in 1066 he soon began to prepare marriages for himself and his three sons : Damianos, Konstantinos and Theophylaktos. The strategos would marry a Komnena, his first son a Synadena from Dyrrachion, his second a Sklera from Anatolia and his third son a sister of the strategos of Karvuna. Overall these were all good matches, linking the Taurican family to the great houses from the Empire, and showing that they were quite considered by their peers.

1472649599-5-kievan-civil-war.png
In 1067 a revolt erupted in the Princedom of Kiev, with the lords of the Bosphorus (although lords is not an adequate term to qualify what were at the time mere garrisons commanders) siding with the rebels. There was no intervention from Cherson, which could have used this to seize at least the rest of the Taurican peninsula. This was remarked by the Rus Chronicler Nestor, who writed that “if Tsarigrad[6] would have wanted to reclaim the cities of Tmutarakhan and Kertch, the Great Prince of Kiev would have been forced to surrender the conquests of his father”. The cowardice of Theodoros was a widespread knowledge and that is surely the reason of his non-intervention at a time where the Bosporus could have been reclaimed.

1472649581-6-medicine.png
Around the same time we hear from a report from the hospital of Cherson (which while founded later than the period discussed here has an extensive amount of reports on the health of the Dalassenoi) that the second son of the Strategos fell ill and that a local herborist, named Apollonios was hired as a court physician.

1472649665-7-iconoclasts.png
Meanwhile war raged in the mountains of Armenia with the armies of Alp Arslan invading. A contingent from Cherson was mobilized and most of them killed during the Iconoclast Uprising of Galatia when the old heretics rose, using the war as an opportunity to be freed from the Church. Eventually their uprising would be quelled but would take a lot of needed troops from the Eastern Front.

1472649621-8-workshop.png
While war raged in the Empire, Theodoros did nothing of note except helping set up a company of merchants whose goal was to manufacture goods in Cherson and sell them in Kiev and Constantinople. Alas we never knew the fate of this peculiar company because of the deep disinterest in trade from the next strategos.

1472649661-9-war-in-the-steppe.png

Meanwhile war raged amongst the Steppe clans. The Alans tribes had begun a war to claim the banks of the Don River while the Pechenegs had taken the western bank of the Dniepr from the Cumans. But thankfully for the Tauricans, this war did not erupt in their territories with most of the fight hundreds of kilometres away, though it hurt the trade, especially after the burning of the Khanate Capital by the Alans, with caravans staying away from the old Khazar road.

1472649663-10-protector-of-the-realm.png
A minor merchant from Ancona, Luigi Torsini, whose letters have been preserved in Urbino, give us some details about the theme, where he stayed for two months before coming back and selling the goods he had acquired there. He was welcomed by the Strategos and found him “an affable man who has the well being of the little people at heart, and who welcomed me with more honours than I truly deserved, happy to discuss of my homeland and my own pursuits”. He also praised the construction of a series of outposts in the hinterland of Theodosia, to act in case of nomad attacks, an expensive act, which his successors would continue as to increase the security of their holdings.

1472649656-11-surprise-death.png
The reign of the duke would not last long after this though. In April 1069 the Strategos began suffering of severe coughing. Christophoros the herbalist tried to heal him with goat’s milk but it did not stop the cough to turn into a severe case of Pneumonia. The heterodox treatment by Christophoros did not work (to the surprise of no one) and the Strategos died of pneumonia at the age of 39, leaving his son Damianos as the new ruler of Cherson and Theodosia.

Notes :
[1] : Crimea comes from the Mongols, precisely because of one of the Golden Horde clans so in the eventuality of me resisting the Mongol onslaught we shall name the peninsula by its Greek name Taurida/Taurica

[2] : Black Sea was apparently used by the Ottomans, so like the previous note we shall use the old Greek name of Pontus-Euxinus for the Black Sea

[3] : Crimean Goths still spoke a Gothic language during the period depicted in the book, and some of them would attain important positions in the Dalassena administration

[4] : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerch_Strait

[5] : one of the signs of the peculiarity of the Cherson theme, Cherson was the only provincial mint of the Empire following reforms during the Macedonian era. This special right can be explained by the remoteness of the city along with its status as an important trade and diplomatic hub.

[6] : Constantinople, literally the City of the Emperor

Good!
Subbed!
Hope you'll enjoy the ride :)

The Mongols should be fun bosom buddies for you once the Golden Horde comes.
Yeah, I already fear it :p

Last edited:
Good start, as usual!

Your start makes sense given Theodoros' traits. Not all rulers are going to be ambitious geniuses.

I especially like the historical notes.
I'm trying to RP a bit, otherwise that just would be the conquest spree until Mongols arrive. This way I'll struggle before and after the Mongol Arrival :p
And you have yet to see his son :D

Good start, as usual!
Armenian War of 1066? That pretty plain name suggests it was less of a disaster than in our history ;)
If CK II could cover efficiently the history of the period it would be known :p

I like how disinterested he was in those rebellions, he just wanted to get more cash. Not the worst plan when you're part of a dying empire. Love the historical focus, I almost wish this was with the WTWSMS mod.

Subbed.

Nice first chapters. I like the historical notes.
Good luck with your main goal !

I wonder where this story of Byzantine Crimea... No, Chersonesos would lead. The possibilities are so many...
We won't stop until we reach Cathay!
I like how disinterested he was in those rebellions, he just wanted to get more cash. Not the worst plan when you're part of a dying empire. Love the historical focus, I almost wish this was with the WTWSMS mod.
Well it fits with a greedy, content, humble character. :p (and he actually lost money with that event, since you pay 100 and then they either come back with interests or just fail ; here since I died the next event never fired ... dat sweet 100 gold ...)
I wouldn't describe the Roman Empire as dying, not yet at least, if I hadn't helped Alp Arslan as I did (mainly giving him a bit of gold and making him war) he wouldn't have reached such borders around 1080. But more on that in later updates ....

Haven't played WTWSMS in a long time but aren't all games finishing in an ahistoric royal-rumble ? I have enough problems making sense about this already :D

Subbed.

Nice first chapters. I like the historical notes.
Good luck with your main goal !
Welcome,

Historical notes seem to be my trademark, should put it somewhere in my signature :p

Apparently inhaling goat farts is not a good cure for pneumonia. Who knew! :p
I know, very strange outcome that he didn't heal :D

Reactions:
Nice to see that Reaper's Due changes are already having an effect on the game. Not to be nitpicky, but I was a bit confused by your note on not using the Black Sea though, as you used it in a latter paragraph.

Love the historical focus, I almost wish this was with the WTWSMS mod.
Haven't played WTWSMS in a long time but aren't all games finishing in an ahistoric royal-rumble ? I have enough problems making sense about this already :D
Well, the mod is called "When the World Stopped Making Sense" :p But you are right on that it tends to be too messy towards the end, which is why the next update will feature some restrictions to that... But now it is me who is doing the self-promotion, sorry for that. :oops:

Reactions:
Nice to see that Reaper's Due changes are already having an effect on the game. Not to be nitpicky, but I was a bit confused by your note on not using the Black Sea though, as you used it in a latter paragraph.
Shh you saw nothing :p (thanks for pointing it out, it's a bit ridiculous to have a note and not following it)
Well, the mod is called "When the World Stopped Making Sense" :p But you are right on that it tends to be too messy towards the end, which is why the next update will feature some restrictions to that... But now it is me who is doing the self-promotion, sorry for that. :oops:
I'll have to test it again, as I said I barely touched CK II for the last year (be it vanilla or mods)
Am I not one to talk about shameless advertising :D

Reactions:
Chapter 2 : Damianos of Cherson, the allegory of decadence (1069-1078)

1473083735-1-damianos.png

Damianos of Cherson was by all sources available one of the worst possible people to rule. Sure he was not part of the long list of lunatics who ascended to power but his inability to reign was so renowned that it is said to have inspired the literary topos of Pamphilios[1] in Taurican comedy. He had been taught by his father to focus on administration and stewardship but he had failed in the process, not even grasping simple facts on trade or laws. The thing is that he was never considered dull, as his son would be ; he was just completely disinterested in his function and relied too often on sycophants rather than competent servants.

1473083730-2-psellos.png

Michael Psellos, a renowned Greek theologian and philosopher gives us an example of the man in one of his letters addressed to the brother of the Emperor, in hope he resumed his exile : “The Strategos of Cherson is truly the worst example of governance I have seen in my life. He wakes up at his own will, sometimes not even until the sun has reached its zenith ; he renders justice depending on his disposition of the day : some thieves can go free while others are hanged depending on how much he has enjoyed his meal ; he also thinks of himself as an erudite but all my attempts to elevate his discussion have been suppressed by his ignorance. I truly humble your Grace to allow me to return to the Mother of Cities by intervening with your brother … (the letter goes on)”. Despite the terrible reputation spread by the erudite, hosting Psellos improved the knowledge in the province and impressed the third son of the previous ruler, Theophylaktos.

1473083721-3-anatolian-war.png

The Iconoclast uprising in Ancyra was eventually put down in January 1070, even though it ended with the slaughter of the Chersonese regiment. The Uprising had however greatly affected the Byzantine war conduct and several defeats in the mountains of the East led to their abandon of the area to Alp Arslan, with the Turkish troops expelling the previous Greek and Armenian rulers and often force converting the populace.
1473083739-4-imperial-problem.png
Within a month following the truce powerful nobles challenged the ailing emperor, forcing him to relinquish some of his power to the Conciliarium, now dominated by ambitious dynatoi[2], eager to reclaim what they had lost in the war while improving their standing. We have no mentions of Damianos being mentioned on one side or the other. Anyway he wouldn’t have changed the situation on his own due to the fact that he was certainly one of the weakest Strategoi of the whole empire.

1473083729-5-cumania.png
Meanwhile in Cumania the Kievan Rus had taken after the Alans, embarking on the conquest of the Don River from their holdings in Tmuratakhan, with the Dalassenoi not intervening on either side.

1473083625-6-treatment-of-dysentery.png
The only thing we have on Damianos during this period is how he dealt with his physician, Baruch nicknamed the “Sea-Devil”. The wife of Damianos, Theophano suffered from dysentery and the Strategos called on Baruch, whom he had recuited in December 1069. Alas, Baruch botched the treatment, removing one eye “as a cure”. It will not surprise anyone that this treatment was not successful ; Theophano would suffer from fever and various diseases until her death two years later. Baruch, who was apparently drunk during the operation was imprisoned by Damianos.
1473083626-7-hanging-the-physician.png
He was then hanged on the 27h of January 1072, on the orders of the Strategos. Rather than to hang him on the public place of Cherson he decided of a more fitting punishment : hanging him on the mast of his personal ship so that all sailors claiming to be physicians would know what awaited them. It was at this time that he developed an hatred against all healers, claiming that they were all impostors who knew nothing and lived like the leeches they adored to use, a policy he would come to regret in his later years.

1473083647-8-rus-conquest-of-azov.png
In March of the same year the Kievan Rus eventually made peace with the horselords, taking the banks of the Don. Their conquest did not last : attacks of local clans along with the lack of money to build enough fortifications to really control the area led to the loss of the Don in the following year to a vassal Clan of Cumania.

1473083666-9-theophylaktos.png
In the year 1073, the third son of Theodoros, Theophylactos finished his education, becoming a renowned scholar in the realm. He was the only son to really benefit from his education and his brother named him Sakellarios (Steward) of the Theme despite his young age. Konstantinos, the apparent heir until the birth of Theodoros had instead followed in Damianos’ path, having no skill to serve the Theme, unless assuring that the dynasty thrived through his marriage.
1473083668-10-ilona-arpad.png
The same year Theophano eventually died from diseases linked to her missing eye. The Strategos soon remarried, his previous wife having left no children to inherit the Dalassenoi lands. Eventually he would marry Ilona, princess of Hungary, who had already birthed a son to the now dead Duke of Slavonia and also aunt of the King.
1473083683-11-islam-cumans.png
At the same time, the Cuman Khan Saru converted to Islam with many of his retainers. The threat of a Muslim invasion troubled the Imperial court but thankfully the Cumans upheld their traditions of fighting against each other, rather than allying with the Seluks. The religion of the Cumans would not settled with this single conversion though ; his son would return to the faith of the Shamans, and his grandson even acknowledged the bishop of Rome.

1473083818-12-death-of-konstantinos.png
The Dalassenoi mourned in March 1076 when Konstantinos contracted Leper and died a month later in excruciating pain, not helped by the lack of physician at court. The death of his brother seems to have prompted Damianos to change and go closer to his family : after all only him and Theophylaktos still were alive and able to continue the family.

1473083666-13.png
In October of the same year Staurakios, bishop of Kimmerikon, was put on trial for heresy, having trying to spread his Bogomilistic ideas in Cherson. The Strategos was swift to arrest him and the synod called to rule out the case declared Staurakios guilty. He was then burned at the stake, one of the many martyrs of the Bogomilists. Coincidentally it was the same month that the conversion of the Riyahdid Emirate in Ifriqiya to Zikri Islam, a move that would lead the Abbasid Caliph to declare a jihad years later.

1473083716-14-middle-east.png
While Byzantium was licking its wounds from the Armenian War, Alp Arslan didn’t rest and set his ghazis toward Syria to take Damascus from the Fatimid Caliphate. The battles were fierce but the Turks eventually won in March 1077. A month later Konstantinos ‘The Fat’ decided to regain what had been lost in Armenia, engaging in the expedition despite his old age.
Fortunately for the idle Damianos he wasn’t required to accompany the emperor. He stayed in Cherson waiting for the birth of his first children, twins, Eupraxia and Theodoros in August.

1473083691-16-statue.png
It was also at this time that the famous statue of Damianos was unveiled in Cherson by his brother Theophylaktos (who received an ample salary for his work). The statue was apparently one of the finest of their age, although the various sources are contradictory on what it represented. It was seemingly lost or destroyed during wars in the XIIth century.

1473083702-17-protection-against-nomads.png
The series of outposts begun by his father were enlarged by the Strategos, with new garrisons being paid by the local magnate. There was apparently a surge of immigration toward Cherson and Theodosia during those years because of the War in the Caucasus. A Venetian merchant, Enrico Manin states in his letters dated from 1076 that “the Pontic cities have seen an influx of people of all creeds, languages and races […] Many have moved to occupy the lands now protected by the local magnate, happily using what used to be wild lands a generation ago”. While still not Constantinople, the provinces of the North became quite prosperous, their workforce increasing as new people, be they Georgians, Armenians or Anatolian came to flee war.

1473083714-18-michael-vii-the-unready.png
More reasons to flee would appear with the coronation of Michael VII, who succeeded his father Konstantinos after his death during the winter in Armenia. The man shared many traits with the Strategos but unfortunately for the Empire he wasn’t solely in charge of a single province.

[1] : a character akin to Italian Comedia Dell’Arte, representing a wealthy but idiot aristocrat.

[2] : the greatest houses of the Empire. At the time this term covered mainly the Doukai, the Komnenoi, the Konstostephanoi and Batatzes. Of course Dalassenoi were barely dynatoi because of their relative poverty and small base of power

This is the era of incompetence for the Byzantine Empire apparently. Damianos of Cherson is impressively bad at everything, and Michael VII barely any better. Let's hope your enemies don't take advantage.

Bad rulers make for bad times.

So you're telling me removing an eye doesn't get rid of dysentery? Well at least Theophano had two years where she could look cool wearing an eyepatch. :p

Damianos of Cherson reaches new heights in terms of lacks of skill within the Dalassenos dynasty. Hopefully his reign will continue to be rather uneventful, to avoid any disasters such a ruler could cause.