• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As an outside observation from someone who always looks to improve and just seeing a few screenshots, I see several things that might be good efficiency others (including myself) are skipping:

• In the 1563 screenshot you have obviously focused on expansion to control the entirety of the Indian Ocean trade route, and worked toward your westernization goal. I'm guessing that's generating a lot more income than most of us would expect at this point in the game. Probably allowing for money buildings as well.
  • You have somehow found the MP to get lots of cores (most aren't overseas), and still got to at least Religious ideas. Is the money turning into early level 2 advisors maybe? Or maybe National Focus?
  • Your manpower is always in good shape. The unit management you're doing might be part of this (you mentioned it getting tedious). I will run out of manpower if I use regulars because I get tired of splitting armies and trying to rejoin them. Also, if this unit management is keeping you with manpower using regulars for infantry, you're saving a ton of cash that can be used elsewhere. This would be a huge efficiency gain freeing up money for better advisors and more economic/manpower buildings.
Those stick out without digging deep into it even.

It's just some things I see looking at it. Maybe just common play for you, but it's interesting to me. Nicely done on the WC, and thanks for keeping the bar set high!

After Vijay collapsed following the dogpile in the first decade, I found myself in such a good position that it seemed a waste to "only" go for the achievement and decided to westernize (originally I wasn't planning to as I figured it'd be easy to take control of India proper without ever having anything to do with the Europeans). Religious ideas were more or less a necessity (Buddhist Ceylon meant every province I took in India had the wrong religion, and in 1.12--I only patched to 1.13 later--I had no easy way of having vassals convert either), which left no room for exploration (the initial plan was to attempt westernization while keeping adm at 5, but I had to revise this later), so I bet on visibility trickling down and jumped my way to the Middle East by means of TCs and Deus Vult.

Much of the land I own in Asia belonged to annexed vassals--most of Indonesia, Malaysia and central India weren't cored by me. This was part of the reason I picked up influence--with religious you save so much bird mana when you're tanking dip that it becomes difficult to leverage it without sufficient dip rep, which is hard to come by early on. While somewhat inefficienct early vassal integrations still help you grow faster. The focus on trade was more or less out of necessity--with so much land (relatively) being overseas and many of my Asian holdings having high autonomy trade income was necessary to fund the growing empire. By the time I'd finished westernizing I'd filled out infuence, but religious came much later (couldn't spare the paper mana for that after getting the initial ideas).

I have no exact figures, but to give you a general idea of the income level in 1563 (when westernization finished) I could swap out the +2 set for +3 and still maintain a max FL consisting mainly of merc infantry (no regulars) and a smaller cavalry contigent and artillery while still making a fair profit every month. So yes, the economy was quite strong at that point. As for manpower, the Ottomans war was the only one that really taxed it outside of the initial expansion, as I made the switch to full merc infantry early on (I'd rather keep worse advisors if I have to than use regular infantry, especially in an area of the world riddled with jungles. You simply lose too much manpower otherwise, even when using your vassals to siege).

No focus for the first few years (I don't like locking myself into a focus before I've a better idea of what my needs are going to be like), but once I had my initial expansion taken care of I went with adm focus, switching over to dip as more and more of the coring (and eventually all) were overseas and bird mana was required for integrations and filling out infuence. As a rule I don't focus mil in SP, unless it's an abysmal start, I'm opting for a military group for whatever reason and/or I'm likely to be stuck with a 0-1 mil leader for a long time.

everyone is talking about exploits but i never seem to recognize or read about them :O

the only "exploit" i know is oversea coring... could someone tell some more maybe?

Overseas coring is hardly an exploit--it might be cheesy to wall off provinces using vassals, but the mechanic is there because Paradox put it in, given the 75% autonomy cap on those provinces. Actual exploits would be things like shortening truces by guaranteeing the tag you just fought and then revoking it (resulting in a unilateral 5-year truce for you instead of a 15-year truce), fully annexing secondary participants in wars to annex them for free (whereas you'd normally be forced to pay bird mana) or hiding all your bird mana in culture conversions after sending a peace offer, potentially allowing you to save 100s of bird mana per war (IIRC they fixed this one, though, but I've never used it--too cheesy even for me).

There's a lot of room for improvement here. In my spam test runs as Mali I had one where rather than running forced speed 3 I went hard micro with stack splits. You won't notice it unless you look but for example 10 regiments in 3% attrition land is 300 manpower per month, so winning a battle --> consolidate + back off while paused with just enough split to do the sieges (as opposed to moving around in their territory and detaching) you're running a few months of say 4 regiments rather than 10, probably 1000+ manpower just on movement in that one area. That doesn't sound like much but we're talking ~year of manpower on troop movement in 1 easy war against Jolof right at the start.

In that game, I didn't run merc until I fought Europeans, despite switching to animist and fighting in a few bigger wars. This doubles into your money point also, and if one uses vassal troops it's effectively even more manpower from nowhere but you have to micro it carefully.

NF I'd like to hear. Some starts I've gotten away with ADM or DIP focus straight away, while with others I'd have either died horribly without initial MIL focus or missed an opportunity (only with very dismal starts am I not off MIL by 1500ish though). Either way really careful vassal management/unit control can cover a lot. I should probably fish a bit more opportunistically.

It's true that attrition losses can be insidious as the way reinforcing works makes it hard to notice that you're actually losing MP (or at the very least gaining less than you could be). I admit I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to that kind of micro in SP, alas--to give you an idea, I'm the kind of player who used to be zealous about ping ponging my diplomats back when they improved relations on arrival. Playing in the HRE I'd spend more time ping poning diplomats than doing anything else... Not too sad they fixed that, heh. If you're playing a lot of MP games your focus will naturally be different, since you can't afford to waste the time on that kind of micro (no one could keep up with it for long).

I rarely focus mil outside of MP--I either go with no focus (pretty much standard opening before I've a better idea of how things are developing around me and what kind of mana numbers I'm likely to have/need in the next few decades) or admin (standard once I think I can get away with it). Do note that I die terribly all the time, but then I imagine that's true for everyone who picks OPMs/small tags and plays aggressively--hell, an early regengy typically means you die to a coalition.

Interesting. It looks like I've been leaning on MIL too long. It really does help when you have 7 vs 6 or 5 but then you're points-strapped unless your ruler is amazing. I fell like you kind of have to do it with crap like Kanem Bornu or Mali or you'll be 2+ tactics behind the Europeans but I suppose in a lot of cases if you're really putting the pedal down you can compensate with advisors faster and make it worth it.

When playing out of starts like Ceylon, that "die horribly" thing is higher w/o the mil focus though. If you trade-conflict somewhere else and Bahmanis comes knocking with butt buddies in tow, it's possible to win with a tactics lead (albeit costly) but I can't imagine winning outnumbered 2.5:1 vs Shia morale while out of position w/o some kind of advantage. Same thing with Tabarestan --> Persia...DoW Timurids while they're wrecked by rebels, but then I hit 4 and can take Tabriz in time to form Persia because QQ won't attack tech 4 tactics in the mountains...though admittedly I switched into ADM focus fast in that one.

So I need better micro, less MIL focus (or leaving it sooner, depending), and moar feeding of vassals. Cycling for statesmen + running diprep missions + religious would probably help a ton too for the ROTW tags that aren't Sunni + surrounded by a sea of same-faith.

The European mil tech advantage doesn't get that bad if you're not going to take them on early, though--west Africa is one thing, but keeping up with mil tech isn't that hard in India when you have a century or so to do it and aren't spending mana on harsh treatment or ideas. As for Bahmanis, you should do whatever it takes to secure an alliance with them--it should be doable with improved relations and a common rival once you've expanded a bit and have a larger army. It won't last, but it'll get you the time you need to epand elsewhere, and once Bahmanis are busy fighting someone else you can turn on them. It's always a good idea to reserve at least one relation slot for a protective shield (i.e., a tag that keeps other tags from DoWing you) anyway, and Bahmanis fit the bill (they shouldn't hate you that much, and they won't have rivalled you right off the bat either).

Buddhist Ceylon meant every province I took in India had the wrong religion, and in 1.12--I only patched to 1.13 later--I had no easy way of having vassals convert either

How do you mean? With subject interaction, you can't force a vassal to change religion outside of its religious group. Forcing them from Hindu to Theravada wouldn't be allowed.

How do you mean? With subject interaction, you can't force a vassal to change religion outside of its religious group. Forcing them from Hindu to Theravada wouldn't be allowed.

He's referring to the 1.13 rule where if you create a subject, if over 2/3 of its cores are in a different religion from their original it'll be the majority faith. This can be useful on nations that are part of a big culture group + take religious, but don't have many of their own cores.

In 1.12 they always released in their original faith regardless.

Sexisest saxony to ever exist. (meissner porcelain done)
69D790D5D7003D4EC0D563CE2F711E5A116FD1F5

So it is possible! I think that-s the only achiement that on the globals on Steam says 0%!

that just means that less than 0.1% of the players completed it.

And of cause its possible ... everything can one-tag if they are in the hands of a dedicated enough player

This is my campaign, finish in 1.11, going for the Three Mountains achievement.

IqgDk6f.jpg

This is the end result of the glorious Sunni Republic of Ryukyu with me finishing with 5 years left.

pXz2HpU.jpg

The end result in the new world.

L4aQFIy.png

The diplo map mode.

quTdiEu.png

The religious map mode.

QxYQcFd.jpg

The end game menu and ironman proof.

I started by invading the southern tip of India and converting to Hindu, after getting my Pagan modifiers. Then I proceed in conquering most of the Ceylon trade node in the next 40 years of the game. After that I when to snipe a colony off of Portugal, by turning off the el dorado expansion, and westernized by 1510. Following This, I conquered Arabia and East Africa and converted again to Sunni, after getting the Hindu modifiers for missionary strength. For the Next 100 years I went and conquered most of the Middle East, North Africa, West India and Central Asia. During This Time I severely weaken the only super power of the world, The Ottoman Empire, because France, the HRE and Russia never grew into serious powers. During The Next 50 years I focused on taking out the Russian region and Lithuania. After securing this area I when on a full out assault on Europe and the rest of India over the next 75 years and by 1750 the only "free" regions of the world where China, Japan, West Africa, Iberia, and the colonies in the new world that became free from there European masters. I also during this time converted my government to a Constitutional Monarchy.The last 66 years where then spent bring these regions under my control and punishing some of my protectorates for westernizing. By 1816 the last resistance of my rule fell in Africa and Asia and I proclaimed my Empire as ruler of the world.

my ideas where
-exploration for westernization and Asian colonies
-religious for the religious CB and missionary strength
-Quantity because its op for snow balling
-Admin for mercs and core cost reduction
-Influence for AE reduction so no coalitions later in the game
-Humanist for a more stable empire and to make WE a non-issue
-Diplomatic so I could take 20% more in wars
-Offensive because better military and 20% more force limit

sLfcAqp.jpg

Lastly the glorious and most coveted achievement.

Reactions:
My first real achievement, here's my Sweden
5F5BC9EF9A7DBF136938E7219F467CC6C35A1A4F

159656D53CCA59382F4251B246760DF211114682

B9944E3740B9DE52F16E66CD0B6CA26B8051FEC4

66311D5C40EAF6B274B5D58B2AD968E08FB6FA01
I tried to do the Lion of the North but as soon as the Ottomans joined the wrong side I left the league and shortly after Catholic became the official religion.

Also I entered the colonial party a bit late, taking all of the Dutch colonies in Canada and in the Caribbean (the USA formed as a Spanish colony). Canada is under a PU.

As for Europe, since all of the HRE is Catholic and France (my only ally with a 320k army) is the DoF I can't do much, except finishing the european part of Muscovy (which I released from Lithuania like 150 years ago and never formed Russia despite having all requiered provinces) and beating the Netherlands/UK every time I can. Iceland is my client state for those Norwegian and Scottish cores with +50% core creation cost)

I think I could do better mostly because two wars lost to the HRE when attacking the Hansa and Pomerania. They were too much and none of my allies back then helped me. A noob mistake I guess..

A couple of weeks ago I try going for Luck of the Irish but I ragequitted after two bad wars against the UK, the AI is pretty random when using transports and despite my side having 2x more troops I just keep losing.

wha
I did it, I finished my Jihad. I was so close to giving it up a bunch of times, but I'm glad I persisted. While the first 200 years were daunting and some of the most exciting and terrifying gameplay I ever done, the last 150 year stretch was just a terrible conquer>core>conquer>core simulator. I have a newfound respect for people that do World Conquests and the likes, especially more than once.

The start of Najd is such a pain, having to carve an empire out of Sand. Your lands are so worthless and you're so weak, it's quite the challenge. But all the more satisfying when you pull it off. Oh and excuse the border gore, I was on the hunt for affordable lands, afraid I wouldn't make it in time if I cored indiscriminately. Looking back, I feel that was the right choice.

mEDTuIu.jpg

BDxtjH6.jpg
What graphics mod are you using?

If you're playing a lot of MP games your focus will naturally be different, since you can't afford to waste the time on that kind of micro (no one could keep up with it for long).
In the Americas you have plenty of time for the first 100-150 years to micro away even in MP. :p

Thanks for the explanations I have somewhat of a high end idea of things to work on:
  • Focus on economics, pick a key trade route and go grab it (level 3 advisors in 1563? Ouch!)
  • Don't jump to MIL focus immediately, wait and see if I actually need it first.
  • Take better advantage of trade conflicts to get vassals that aren't necessarily connected. Then pay better attention to the vassals so that in 10 years I can annex them and get new ones.
That's just a few that immediately came to mind.

Someone mentioned bordergore on one of my post so here it is, some mild gore of borders. Neat border limits your efficiency, so if it has to be gory then by all means!

Papal State has the best looking borders in europe, if you ignore a couple of blotches ;p

F478857086E19FB2617EDD8C905AF7D8C1FC3C21

How do you like them Riga(s)

73B961B0BFDAB86BD7C9336E4CC4CF7521EFB18C

Vijayanagar has some sort of disease. That natural Ardalan though is impressive, ditto with Ava

CC78B617C6CA28F539D6193DAB47FFDDA9B0A5E0

Bordergore China? Nothing new there. That Malacca, GB, Dai Viet mess though makes me happy :)

6B2546DDD9C25DAFFBD4A6D37BD5F2DB874F664B

Last edited:
Reactions:
Since we are doing achievements, just finished Jihad :)

XyjMOFe.jpg

And aggressive expander in the same game lol.

PS: The Ottomans are a pain in the ass :)

Reactions: