• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Matihood1

Lt. General
17 Badges
Mar 7, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Since the next patch is going to be focused on Poland, I think it's time to do a little cleanup for the Polish dynamic province names.

I haven't expanded the current list too much - only added some province names based on threads that are now gone for an unknown reason as well as fixed some mistakes (such us Berlin using Ruppin's dynamic name or Pressburg having 2 dynamic names, one of them being incorrect as it refers to the modern name of the city rather than a historical name).

Nowogrodek should either be renamed to "Nowogródek" if you're going to use the Polish name (please stop omitting diacritics randomly...).

While we're at it, can we please have missing "ó" letters in the province names of Kraków, Lwów, Tarnów and Równe added? Currently, "ó" is only present in the Polish dynamic names for these provinces and disappears if they are held by a non-Polish nation.

Attachments

• polish.txt
    3,6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you could also add the following:
44 Hamburg- Bogbór
74 Baden - Badenia
132 Steiermark - Styria
189 Lothringen- Lotaryngia
288 Lower Don - Dolny Don
463 Circassia - Czerkiesja
It would pretty much be complete. Hawolin could be changed to Hobolin, and perhaps Berlin could be changed to Barlin, but that's all, unless we want to add some names for South Slavic locations.
Honestly I'm more worried about Polish missions than names now. There recently was few very good threads about a lot of changes to Poland, but none of them proposed mission tree as far I know. Right now Poland has very small amount of them, and they seem to be somewhat bugged (conquering western prussia giving Mazovia integrated modifier? Mission for forming Commonwealth giving claims on SIlesia when just the fact of forming Commonwealth gives claims on entire Poland region which includes Silesia?). There are tons of missions which could be made for Poland/Commonwealth, giving claims in pretty much every direction and even few PUs CBs. Really Poland/Commonwealth deserves as big mission tree as the ones from Third Rome, Dharma and Rule Brittania, but I'm afraid they will get close to nothing. Maybe we should made some post/thread with some proposed missions? (I'm afraid there is not enough time to write a detailed tree with deep descriptions and historical backgrounds.)

Last edited:
If you could also add the following:
44 Hamburg- Bogbór
74 Baden - Badenia
132 Steiermark - Styria
189 Lothringen- Lotaryngia
288 Lower Don - Dolny Don
463 Circassia - Czerkiesja
It would pretty much be complete.
I'm okay with all of them except for Lower Don. I don't think it's really necessary to translate that province. It's not even translated in the Russian province names.
Hawolin could be changed to Hobolin
AFAIK both Hawolin and Hobolin are historical names and I'm fine with either of them. If you're saying Hobolin is better then I guess we can go with that.
and perhaps Berlin could be changed to Barlin
I'm not really sure about this one. I know Sorbians call it "Barliń" but other than that, I don't know.
but that's all, unless we want to add some names for South Slavic locations.
We could probably add some names for the Balkans and maybe Hungary as well, although I'm wondering how to call provinces like Donji Kraji.
Honestly I'm more worried about Polish missions than names now. There recently was few very good threads about a lot of changes to Poland, but none of them proposed mission tree as far I know.
Yea, the missions might be a problem. Let's hope the devs have this sorted out.

I updated the file in the original post (now I finally know how to do it properly :p)

Last edited:
AFAIK both Hawolin and Hobolin are historical names and I'm fine with either of them. If you're saying Hobolin is better then I guess we can go with that.

It just seems that Hobolin is used pretty much exclusively in modern literature.

I'm not really sure about this one. I know Sorbians call it "Barliń" but other than that, I don't know.

There is also town of Barlinek in Poland https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlinek which is called Berlinchen in German. So if this town got called Barlinek and not Berlinek then Barlin would make sense too and be possible name.

We could probably add some names for the Balkans and maybe Hungary as well, although I'm wondering how to call provinces like Donji Kraji.

I'm not sure either, but we don't need to translate every name, especially that many Hungarian/South Slavic places don't really have translations/equivalents in Polish.

Yea, the missions might be a problem. Let's hope the devs have this sorted out.

We will see, but I'm honestly afraid of it. Looking how much pain is there with such trivial thing as name lists, getting a proper missions might be hard. Maybe I will try making some post about this later.

I updated the file in the original post (now I finally know how to do it properly :p)

Thanks!

Alternative names for Donji Kraji in Croatian/Serbian would be "Bosanska Krajina" (lit. "Bosnian Frontier") or simply "Krajina" (lit. "Frontier"). Perhaps these would be easier to translate into Polish?

Alright, basing on the screenshots from today's dev diary, I suggest these dynamic names for the new provinces:
  • Kremenets - Krzemieniec
  • Iasi - Jassy
  • Suceava - Suczawa
Nowogrodek should be renamed to Nowogródek. Since the devs are going with the Polish spelling, "ó" should be there by default.

I don't know what name we could use for Birlad though. @Korth1991 any ideas?

Last edited:
So I took another look at Russia and noticed that there's a bunch of provinces I missed that were added in the 1.26 patch so I went and added/adjusted some dynamic names. I updated the file in the original post.

Alright, basing on the screenshots from today's dev diary, I suggest these dynamic names for the new provinces:
  • Kremenets - Krzemieniec
  • Iasi - Jassy
  • Suceava - Suczawa
Nowogrodek should be renamed to Nowogródek. Since the devs are going with the Polish spelling, "ó" should be there by default.

I don't know what name we could use for Birlad though. @Korth1991 any ideas?

English Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bârlad says the following: Constantin Cihodaru linked the name, of possible Hungarian origin, to a Slavic word (berlo — "rod", "cottage" or birlo — "swamp"), to which was added the Hungarian suffix -d, also found, for example, in the names Cenad, Arad, Tușnad and Tășnad.
We could probably call it Birlo or Berlad which is also mentioned in that article. Perhaps we could also use Bulgarian name for Giurgiu (Gjurgjewo)

English Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bârlad says the following: Constantin Cihodaru linked the name, of possible Hungarian origin, to a Slavic word (berlo — "rod", "cottage" or birlo — "swamp"), to which was added the Hungarian suffix -d, also found, for example, in the names Cenad, Arad, Tușnad and Tășnad.
We could probably call it Birlo or Berlad which is also mentioned in that article. Perhaps we could also use Bulgarian name for Giurgiu (Gjurgjewo)
I guess Berlad could work. Also, nice one with Gjurgjewo. I'll add these 2 names along with the rest to the first post. Let me know if I missed any new provinces.

Last edited:
Seems like it was ignored yet again. How long is Berlin/Barlin being wrongly changed to Rypin for now?
Really? Aww I didn't have time to check myself.

I wouldn't even care that much if not for the fact that modifying dynamic province names disables achievements for some reason.

Last edited:
Okay, so I've read on the DD thread that they had to push the update really fast due to GDPR and that they're still going to implement people's suggestions. If so, please do! @DDRJake

In Update 1.28 Polish dynamic province names:
pol. Kalisz - ger. Gnesne ( hahaha )
Correct:
pol. Gniezno - ger. Gnesne
pol. Kalisz - ger. Kalisch

It's a mistake, you have to fix it.
We pay 20Euro as new DLC, and Paradox does not make this game with commitment.

pol. Inowrocław - ger. Inowrazlaw

Gniezno.png

We pay 20Euro as new DLC, and Paradox does not make this game with commitment.
All map changes are always free though. I agree, however, that the devs should at the very least make sure that when a province is renamed, all dynamic names associated with that province are adjusted accordingly (and if that's not possible, removed).

Once again, I wouldn't even mind if modding dynamic province names didn't disable achievements for some reason.

Last edited:
I found a small mistake - the name "Lignica" was first recorded in 1750 while the city a part of Prussia. The proper old Polish spelling is actually the currently used spelling - "Legnica". I updated the .txt file in the original post.

So the Lithuanian dynamic names got updated while Polish ones are still just as messy as they are. Why are some threads looked upon while others get completely ignored? It just makes me feel like I've wasted time since I can't use these names myself without giving up on achievements...

I updated the file in the original post to include dynamic names for a few Romanian provinces, basing upon this text. I'd also like to mention that Birlad should be renamed to "Bîrlad", since the letter "î" is definitely supported by the game (it's present in "Tîrgoviste" for example).

I also found out that the Lithuanian dynamic name for the province #4537 (Nowogrodek, which should be renamed to "Nowogródek" if you're going to use the Polish name), which is currently "Kremenecas", should actually belong to the province #4539 (Kremenets) and a Lithuanian name for the province #4537 should be "Naugardukas".

Please, include this fix in the game. It really wouldn't take too much time to implement. @neondt @DDRJake @Groogy @RodDel

Last edited: