please help a noob out, I cant find an answer anywhere else...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

a1ml3ss

Recruit
Jan 28, 2017
I am trying to redesign my French motorised division, I have read the excellent beginners guide on this forum and know that I want to add a couple of artillery divisions to the combat section, but they aren't available to add when i try - at first i thought it was because I needed self propelled but I have researched that now and still nothing - the only units I can add are motorised and cavalry. I cant even add artillery in support, only anti tank.
This is bugging me out massively and I would be really grateful if someone could point out my (likely obvious) error.

thanks

You need a separate line dedicated to artillery. Click on one of the empty boxes that's on an empty line and you should see options to add armored infantry and mobile battalions. Artillery should be under infantry if I remember correctly. The reason you're only seeing motorized and cavalry is because those are the only mobile divisions you have researched and you can only add the same type of unit on the same line.

Last edited:
Reactions:
There are three (well, four) ways to add artillery to your motorized divisions, and two of them will slow down the division.

1.) Regular line artillery (slows division to infantry speed) - add a column of infantry and add artillery like you would to a normal infantry division. Also works for rocket artillery.

2.) Self-Propelled Artillery (slows division to a speed dependent on your self-propelled artillery design) - add a column of armored units and add light/medium/heavy/super-heavy self-propelled artillery. For a motorized division, light is recommended, but you may want the power of medium self-propelled artillery.

3.) Motorized Rocket Artillery (does not slow division) - Motorized rocket artillery is a later (I think 1941-ish) technology and will fall under mobile units, meaning it can go in the same column as your motorized infantry units. Despite only having one model, it is always equal to its towed counterpart due to the boost it gets from researching the second model of towed rocket artillery.

4.) Support cpmpanies (does not slow division) - you can add a reduced amount of towed artillery and rocket artillery to a division as support companies that will not adversely effect the speed of the division or use any combat width.

Reactions:
I am trying to redesign my French motorised division, I have read the excellent beginners guide on this forum and know that I want to add a couple of artillery divisions to the combat section, but they aren't available to add when i try - at first i thought it was because I needed self propelled but I have researched that now and still nothing - the only units I can add are motorised and cavalry. I cant even add artillery in support, only anti tank.
This is bugging me out massively and I would be really grateful if someone could point out my (likely obvious) error.

thanks
Are you sure you got enough Land Experience to spend to add the artillery?

You can accumulate it pre-war by training your armies and sending volunteers/expeditionary forces for example.

Reactions:
Ah... Blessed relief, thanks to the three of you for taking the time to sort me out. To Sanny, I do have just enough land experience for this change, but I only realised that I needed to pay attention to my armies (before war broke out) in late 1937, so I don't have anywhere near enough to make the adjustments I wanted to all my divisions despite them doing jumping jacks ever since... I am not sure France will survive long under my shaky guidance