• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(23286)

Private
Dec 10, 2003
I have played EU II for ages now and have pretty much gone most of the major/minor powers. But have yet to take on the big red bear so I thought I would give it a go. My initial stategy was to get Novagrod and the lucrative COT. However this was much harder than I thought. I managed to get its provinces but it will not vasselise and I would rather wait till my reputation improves a bit. In the meatime Sweden attacked and I managed to beat them off and get a few christian provinces that are now regularly revolting. I was then attacked by Lith and again I managed to nick a few provinces that do not revolt. Now the golden horde has attacked and I think I can repeal them.

What I want to know from experinced Russian players is what do I do from here I was thinking about taking out the Horde and moving south into Europe. I would certainly appreciate some ideas on how best to achieve this. I like to diplo annex if possible but understand that I will need to fight pretty hard esp if I go south!

Two questions: What year have you reached? Have you become russia yet (1520 i think) or still muscovy?

Moving south is a good idea, and not too difficult. I'd use exclusivly cav. armies. I would also wait until you get shields on the provinces to stop your BB from skyrocketing (those events also give you some free troops).

Take out Golden Horde and Siberia and start colonizing the siberian corridor.. meanwhile (after the events with the cb shields have fired) take out poland/lithuania and move southwards to take on turkey.. there should be an event which with one option gives you cb shields on constantinople and most of greece (or greek cultured areas) I wouldnt go much father from the historical borders towards the west but instead focus on the south and getting rid of persia and possibly even taking india..

Conquer Siberia. You have no chance against western powers due to technology matters.

First concentrate on your cores. When you have all your cores, you can attack lith and go for siberia when you get the events that gives you the cores on siberia and all the kaghnates (how do you write this word???).

Many thanks.

I have just had the event which makes you Russia which I took (cant see why you would want to leave the Byzantine mantel on the floor!). I am as usual moving the slider to free subject, centralisation and offensive. Thanks for the tip about cavalry forgot about the bonus (that comes from playing the Swiss and Savoy!).

The Golden Horde is pretty nasty in my current game heading up an impressive alliance but I agree that I should try and deal with them sooner rather than later.

I will wait for the shields and see how it goes, I am thinking in the abstract about taking on the Teutonic Knights so that I can get Courland COB do you think this is wise?! Also Lith is looking pretty battered so mabye that is next. Just gotta get Novagrod to vassilise!

Getting quite into this game and looking forward to playing it after work, just wish I knew more Russian history!

Your biggest enemy as Russia isn't the Golden Horde, or Poland or Sweden; it's your own events file!
Use your sliders well: if you can keep Stability at +2 or +3 for a few crucial years, you avoid the Time of Troubles, if you can keep Serfdom below 5 in the late 18th Century you avoid Pugachev.

The Impaler said:
Your biggest enemy as Russia isn't the Golden Horde, or Poland or Sweden; it's your own events file!
Use your sliders well: if you can keep Stability at +2 or +3 for a few crucial years, you avoid the Time of Troubles, if you can keep Serfdom below 5 in the late 18th Century you avoid Pugachev.
High stab will prevent some bad events but not the Time of Troubles. To stop it you need DP settings: centralization<5 or aristocracy<4 or serfdom<5. (This is with the latest betas.)