• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orinsul

Absent Minded
116 Badges
Feb 7, 2008
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Might it be possible to select an heir for the player, regardless of who is the heir of your current title? To not inherit the titles as all current heir selection does, but to inherit the player.

The name of the game is playing a dynasty rather than title after all, but the game always locks in your following a title's succession, as the spirit of the dynasty, you always find yourself guiding the hand of the eldest son, with the greater title.

What if you could name an heir for your playership, if they have or inherit on your current characters death through gavelkind then you'd play on as them, and not as the member of your dynasty who inherits the titles of your current character?
And what if if that named heir was landless, they received an adventure title and you had a brief window of time (Maybe a year) to gain a real title? So you could be a force of chaos and actively ruining the kingdom you've built in a succession war rather than only ever getting to respond if the AI ever takes the bait and tries.
Or expand the dynasty by setting out as a fourth son or second cousin adventurer to make their own mark on the world away from their powerful relatives shadow.

Currently to tell these sorts of stories, cheating with the console is required, which seems to always have a way of killing the chronicle and retirement screen history.
And having it as a part of the game would make it feel alot more like you're playing the dynasty rather than the title, and just allow more stories to be told naturally. And it'd let you get out of running elective empires and other titles it's easy to get stuck in and hard to get out of.
It would make a game harder to lose though, but that's a good thing to some people so no worries.

If it would be a small thing to add (Who knows how video game coding works?), the current expansion in the works would fit given it's adventurers focus.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I think it is truly a great idea to implement it proper in the game. You can do it manually right now, of course, by selecting the son you want to play from the Load Game menu. When I'm not doing achievement hunting Ironman games, I often do this or, if I have no heirs I want to play at all, play as a member of a dynasty I've had a lot of interaction with. It can be fun roleplaying in the Status Quo you've created from another angle.

Reactions:
You can actually mod this into the game right now, though it could get a little complicated.

Reactions:
Designating a non-primary heir as the next player character sounds awesome.
Dunno about the landless stuff, but this feature would be so sweet, mmh mmh.

Reactions:
I would buy this if it was added into a DLC. Either as a cheap, small DLC or as a part of a larger one.

Reactions:
43 agrees, I have rarely seen that... I also think that we should be allowed to chose a non-primary heir as player character on death of the current character, but I'm not convinced about the "landless stuff", as Phibs put it.

Maybe even anyone from your dynasty, what do you think?

I'd say the requirements for designation should be either be a non-primary heir (which really only pertains to gavelkind) or a landed direct descendant (kids/grandkids) of the current player character with the correct dynasty.

Reactions:
I'd say the requirements for designation should be either be a non-primary heir (which really only pertains to gavelkind) or a landed direct descendant (kids/grandkids) of the current player character with the correct dynasty.

I'd say any landed dynasty member. You're supposed to be the invisible hand of the dynasty after all, and direct descendant still basically sticks you to the title and unless you have gavelkind or have lived to be really old, would pretty much mean only the primary heir again so pretty much no point to it, you're still stuck as king.

Requirements like only direct descendants would be better as house rules of how you choose to use it rather than anything built in, otherwise it's hardly worth the trouble given all the circumstances and options that'd disable, in a majority of situations that'd still only be one guy.

Unless the landless/adventuer options are in, in which case I'd go, any landed dynasty member or any immediate family family of the current character or same dynasty claimant on primary title or something like that, but that's the secondary consideration, any landed dynasty member is the main point.

Reactions:
I'd say any landed dynasty member. You're supposed to be the invisible hand of the dynasty after all, and direct descendant still basically sticks you to the title and unless you have gavelkind or have lived to be really old, would pretty much mean only the primary heir again so pretty much no point to it, you're still stuck as king.

Requirements like only direct descendants would be better as house rules of how you choose to use it rather than anything built in, otherwise it's hardly worth the trouble given all the circumstances and options that'd disable, in a majority of situations that'd still only be one guy.

Unless the landless/adventuer options are in, in which case I'd go, any landed dynasty member or any immediate family family of the current character or same dynasty claimant on primary title or something like that, but that's the secondary consideration, any landed dynasty member is the main point.

I don't agree that direct descendant more or less equates playing the primary heir (and thus the main title/king).
One can always land a kid/grandkid one picks as the next player character.

But still ... yeah landed dynasty member also sounds ok, I guess. I just personally wouldn't choose anything too far off the main branch.
I mean what does that distant relative with different culture, religion and top liege half a continent away have to do with what my posse was doin'? ;)

Ideally of course cadet branches would separate off anything too distant, but I fear that's something we'll first see in CK3 :(

'Locked' meaning the function being disabled or the choice, once made, being irrevocable?

'Locked' meaning the function being disabled or the choice, once made, being irrevocable?
Basically, during Iron-man (one save, no reloads) which is something required for achievements that the player must be forced to follow the title inheritance which is the current default behavior. Otherwise you'd be able to just jump to some other lord to get an achievement. All fun in games till you get achievement A which requires Start B from Start C because you're character jumped outside of the realm...

So ... disabled in ironman, then?
Just trying to clarify, I don't play ironman mode myself.

damn straight. having the game end because YOUR heir didn't get the top job is kinda BS. i was doing a 1066 playthrough as the Godwin dynasty of england. survived the norman/norwegian onslught and kept Aenglaland alive. met Saethryth, the Maid of Warwick (my anglo-saxon joan of arc), annexed all of ireland and scotland, became the empire of Magna Britannia, had numerous overseas holdings, won 3 successive crusades for jerusalem single-handedly (lost it twice), made half of my duchies ruled by Godwins, and 200 years how do i lose? non-dynastic heir, who was the dynasty of the HRE emperor. even by using console commands out of desperation, i still barely managed to keep going.

all there really needs to be is an honorary title that designates character as player heir. no opinion bonus or malus for getting/losing it.

Reactions:
My mod on steam, infinity, lets you continue with non dynastic heirs

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.