Paradox Interactive acquires Triumph Studios - FAQ

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheLetterZ

Community Developer, general sweetheart
46 Badges
Nov 5, 2013
  • Empire of Sin
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Paradox Order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Rome Gold
  • Starvoid
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sengoku
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
Paradox_Triump_Merge_Medium.jpg

What´s going on?

Paradox Interactive has entered into an agreement to acquire Triumph Studios, creators of the Overlord- and Age of Wonders-series. Exciting times! Read more here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news?aid=Paradox-acquires-Triumph

Why?

Much like Paradox, Triumph Studios is a world-leading developer within their niche. We feel they are a great fit for Paradox both culturally and game pillar-wise. Plus, they make awesome games, and count quite a few Paradox employees among their hard-core fans.

Becoming part of a larger organisation will give Triumph the financial stability and continuity they need to do more what they do best - develop some of the best turn-based strategy games on the planet. Publishing support from Paradox will make sure that these games reach new and larger audiences.

What will happen now?

Going forward, Triumph Studios will operate much in the same way as Paradox Development Studio, i.e they will drive the vision and creative parts of game development, whereas Paradox Interactive will focus on the business case, marketing and publishing.

What are Triumph working on?

We’ll have more news to share soon. In the meantime, rest assured that all of their ongoing projects will remain in development, and will be published by Paradox Interactive.

Will Triumph continue to work on titles within the Overlord franchise?

As Triumph does not own the rights to the Overlord brand they will regrettably not work on titles within that universe. The current owner of Overlord is Codemasters.

Will this change Triumph Studios?

Don´t worry. We´re acquiring Triumph because they are great at what they do, and we have the best interest of their games, their teams and their communities at heart. We want to enable them to create even more of their magic, and we want to act as an accelerator for that, rather than as a barrier.

This is cool! Where can I learn more?

I know right! Make sure to check-out the live stream with Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester and Triumph CEO Lennart SAS, at 4PM CEST on June 30th. Tune in here: twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

Also, you can pick up Age of Wonders 3 (trust us, it´s amazing) on Steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/226840/Age_of_Wonders_III/

Last edited:
Ages ago I bought Age of Wonders 3 on GOG (before the release), since it was said to support GNU/Linux. I've never played it since Triumph decided not to bring the GNU/Linux version to GOG (one can only get it on Steam). Will GNU/Linux users be second class-customers in the future as well when it comes to Triumph's games?

I hope you don't push Triumph too hard to sell half a dozen of Day 1 DLC as you do to PDS games.

Congratulations to both companies, and good luck! Bring us wonderful games.

Looks almost like a race with SEGA. They acquired Amplitude, Paradox follows by acquiring Triumph Studios.

I must admit that I wish it had been the other way around though. Triumph Studios was best with AoW:SM, while I can see Amplitude progressing every single year. But hey, I certainly wouldn't mind if Paradox and TS prove me to be wrong!

(Was that enough of a challenge to get the best fantasy TBS?)

Looks almost like a race with SEGA. They acquired Amplitude, Paradox follows by acquiring Triumph Studios.

I must admit that I wish it had been the other way around though. Triumph Studios was best with AoW:SM, while I can see Amplitude progressing every single year. But hey, I certainly wouldn't mind if Paradox and TS prove me to be wrong!

(Was that enough of a challenge to get the best fantasy TBS?)
Hey, Age Of Wonders 3 is a damn good game.

I personally don't think having both Stellaris and Endless Space in the same company would've helped all that much - one would have inevitably fallen to the wayside, probably Endless Space. Now there's competition in the space strategy genre between two big boys and that ought to help with keeping them on their toes.

Hello,
Do you know if it will be possible to link the Triumph Studios' games i already own on steam, here on my Paradox account? https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/games
Thanks.

I must admit that I wish it had been the other way around though. Triumph Studios was best with AoW:SM, while I can see Amplitude progressing every single year.
I totally agree :)

I'm happy to read this news. AOW is one of my favorite franchises and the support from Paradox is much appreciated. In this world of market competition you need someone to help you to survive in the shark pool. Better Paradox than anyone else!

Best interest of the customer and product at heart ? bwhahahhahahahahhahaha. Ye that's why you keep dishing out 20 buck DLC's while not addressing game breaking bugs...... Action speak louder than words dear Paradox. and when your words no longer match your actions, you become a hypocrite and a liar.

I hope the guys at Truimph realize all their work will now be DLC whored into oblivion, I hope they got lost of money for their souls. Then agian Paradox can afford it with 280+ mil recorded profits in certain periods, really guys that 20 bucks totally barely covers their costs, really!