• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
General information and goals for the AAR

Tom D.

Field Marshal
69 Badges
Oct 4, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Hello everybody and welcome to my 4th AAR in general and 3rd specific for EU4. It's great to be back in EU4 AARland after my HOI4 AAR which lasted around 6 months! (not counting 2 months lost because of exams). This time, we'll lead Brandenburg-Prussia to greatness, and how could we do that better than by unifying all German lands under one Empire - an Empire that will undoubtedly lead the world and be a shining example of how a great Empire should be... well, great!

Now you might wonder: why Brandenburg - or better: why Prussia? That's easy as hell, OP ideas, Prussian space marines, we all know the memes. It is because this AAR will be different! By now you already now why: DLC. And if this still doesn't reveal the misty clouds surrounding this AAR, let's take a look at our goals.

Goals:

1. Form Prussia and Germany/the German Empire: most obviously because of the title. - Achieved in chapter 12!
2. Unite all German lands under one Empire (and with all German lands I mean a 'Kleindeutschland' or 'Lesser Germany'): just the German lands with Prussia included but without Austria) and those alone! I will not take any other land (at least directly but I'll get to that later) than German cultured land. A German Empire needs Germans, and nobody else! This way I will refrain myself from just going ham in Europe, but I might consider going overseas to claim the rights of the German Empire on some colonial holdings. - Achieved in chapter 13!
3. Become the number 1 Great Power in the world: you can't imagine how I love to be able to add this goal because of owning RoM :D! - partially completed due to not actually being #1 as of the RoM mechanic but I did trash the Ottomans who were number 1 so I consider it partially completed.
4. Make Berlin the highest developed province in the world (also thanks to CS): a grand Empire needs a grand capital :cool:. - Achieved at the very end.
5. Maintain the balance of power in Europe, and try to (more or less) simulate the situation in Europe as it was in 1914: this will probably be the hardest thing to do. Of course depending on how the alliance networks are near the end of the game, it might be that not France loses land and gets any revanchist ideas but another nation. - The only goal I utterly failed, can't say much of it, I was too slow unifying Germany and therefore was too late to truly get Europe the way I wanted, even though that PU with France made things a lot easier.

Because of this balance (and here I come to the point about holdings not directly owned by me), I want to make an exception of 3 vassals/client states for the moment: Switzerland, Belgium ( :p ) and Austria-Hungary (see 6). Those, and especially Switzerland, I want to take because of its strategic defensive positions. If a French rivalry appears, we need to be able to box them in - if not to keep them from expanding and keeping them in their 1914 borders.
6. Adamgerd's price: make a client-state "Austria-Hungary" and conquer its historical provinces as it was in 1820 (for map see here). - Successfully achieved with the correct borders completed at the end in the last chapter.

Now some more general information:

DLC:

During the Summer Sale I finally decided to get off my DLC-virgin reputation and embraced 5 DLC:

- Res Publica
- Art of War
- Common Sense
- Cossacks
- Rights of Man.

Those of you who read my AARs since the beginning know this is an important milestone for me and I almost feel sorry you can't joke anymore about not having this or that DLC-feature ;).

Mods:

For this AAR, I decided to go ham on mods: I wanted to have the full German Imperial feeling! The ones I will use are:

1. Prussian Blue 1.19: how else could I properly conquer the German lands without that beautiful Prussian blue colour? And you don't have to worry about the patch number: as long as they don't really need an update (like for this simple colouring mod), it gives no problems to use.
2. Prussian and Austrian Music: you won't notice this of course but I decided to conquer Germany with the right beats. For the full list of songs, check out the Steam Workshop and search for this mod.
3. Historical Event Paintings [COS Update]: these replace the standard art for events in-game with real-life paintings. Not much of an impact but definitely prettier to look at!
4. Banner Flags: this mod frees your flag from its disturbing shield holding back your full flag's glorious look and let it hang proudly at the top-left of your screen. Everything for a prettier game.
5. A Rev. Font Mod - White: nothing more than a recolouring of the nation's names on the map, but oh so gorgeous.
6. 50 Loadingscreens Mod: ever tired of the generic art from Paradox when you load the game? Than try out this mod which replaces it with 50 different paintings - better hope your game doesn't load in 10 seconds!
7. Better Urban Terrain Pictures: this was a mod I actually found the most refreshing mods. What it does is replace the terrain pictures (like grasslands, farmlands, mountains, etc.) for important cities with a artwork-like painting. Whenever you click on the province you'll see these beautiful pictures, but unfortunately for me my laptop screen is too small so it only shows in battles. That's why you'll have to face mostly useless battles to give you a look at these pictures ;).
8. GFX Overhaul - Ironman v6.21: this changes many aspects of the map, like terrain, the water, etc.
9. German Empire mod: last but not least, one which you'll probably not find in the Steam Workshop cause it's a personal mod. I decided to tweak Germany, including a renaming to "German Empire", refitting some province borders in the East to give some nice and realistic borders like the real Empire had around Prussia (it's up to you to decide whether I succeeded or utterly failed on that), tweaked the colour of the German Empire on the map along with some other things.

I hope you'll enjoy this AAR as much as I had playing and writing it :).

Table of Contents:
Prologue: The beginning of an Empire
Chapter 1: 4th of April 1449 till 12th of September 1485
Chapter 2: 13th of September till 1st of April 1521
Chapter 3: 2nd of April 1521 till 1st of November 1537
Chapter 4: 2nd of November 1537 till 7th of June 1553
Chapter 5: 8th of June 1553 till 14th of November 1567
Chapter 6: 15th of November 1567 till 18th of August 1594
Chapter 7: 19th of August 1594 till 6th of January 1606
Chapter 8: 7th of January 1606 till 22nd of May 1621
Chapter 9: 23rd of May 1621 till 4th of January 1663
Chapter 10: from the 4th of January 1663 till 2nd of July 1695
Chapter 11: from the 3rd of July 1695 till 13th of May 1737
Chapter 12: from the 14th of May 1737 till 26th of February 1753
Chapter 13: from the 27th of February 1753 till 17th of March 1789
Chapter 14: from the 18th of March 1789 till 1st of January 1821

Last edited:
Good to see you doing a new AAR and excited to see the new AAR. Also is the Belgian timezone CET? And interested to know the screenshot's difference

Good to see you doing a new AAR and excited to see the new AAR. Also is the Belgian timezone CET? And interested to know the screenshot's difference
Glad to have you on board Adamgerd, it seems in the summer it's one hour extra (I will change the OP), so the Belgian time-zone is GMT +2 (+ 1h than in Britain - which is the same time-zone as the Czech Republic if I'm not mistaken :))

Well my boys, we're going to be pilgrims in an unholy land! :p

Of course not! Will be looking forward to this. :)

Will definitely follow.

Actually as it happens by that time I will be in the same timezone as you (albeit a different country).

Subbed, always up for a good Brandenburg run. Brandy was actually the first nation I played as back when I first got into EU4. I look forward to seeing how you lead the space marines to greatness!

Glad to have you on board Adamgerd, it seems in the summer it's one hour extra (I will change the OP), so the Belgian time-zone is GMT +2 (+ 1h than in Britain - which is the same time-zone as the Czech Republic if I'm not mistaken :))

Also known as CEST. :)

Right! Ready to rumble!

Well my boys, we're going to be pilgrims in an unholy land! :p

Of course not! Will be looking forward to this. :)
Will definitely follow.

Actually as it happens by that time I will be in the same timezone as you (albeit a different country).
Subbed, always up for a good Brandenburg run. Brandy was actually the first nation I played as back when I first got into EU4. I look forward to seeing how you lead the space marines to greatness!
Also known as CEST. :)

Right! Ready to rumble!
Glad to have all of you on board! Also is my timezone right? My apologies if it is, I was never really good at all the different zones and times and such. To be sure: the screenshot will be posted in about 3h from now.

After one of you has successfully guessed the answer to my question, I will reveal more about how this AAR will go and I hope to bring the first chapter out in the weekend after my exam next week on Friday. After that I've still got around one month of vacation so that must be enough to get at least a few chapters out before the academic year starts but of course updates will continue whenever possible.

I'll be on vacation for the first week, but after that I'll be in on the fun, my fellow Belgian :p
As you'll read above, you don't have to worry you'll miss anything. Glad to have you on board too this time!

Yeah, then we're the same timezone. Yeah, in summer it's CEST and in winter it's CET, although I am not sure which is ahead. I do get a bit confused with timezones, but if Belgium is GMT +2 than we're the same zone, which makes sense as most of Europe is CEST now. So in 2 hours and 5 minutes as of this post

Time Zone Map if you want it:
map.1498960800.png

This map is accurate as of Summer Time. The ones which are diagonal, like Iran are half. So Iran is Turkey + 1 hour 30 mins or Belgium + 2 hours 30 mins.

Last edited:
Summer time is easy: Always one hour towards summer. So plus one hour when in spring and minus one hour when in autumn.:)

Summer time is easy: Always one hour towards summer. So plus one hour when in spring and minus one hour when in autumn.:)
But it also depends on countries. In winter Egypt for example has the same time zone as Estonia, but in summer as CEST

So in 2 hours and 5 minutes as of this post
Correct, thanks for the clarification :)!

Euh, I guess so :p. I honestly will never understand it completely, I didn't even know there was a difference for CEST & CET in summer & wintertime o_O. As long as everybody knows the screenshot will be posted in about 2h from now I'll be very happy :D.

Alas ! I'm going out in a few minutes, picnic and castle-viewing, not back until this evening circa 21:00 CET :cool: :(

Alas ! I'm going out in a few minutes, picnic and castle-viewing, not back until this evening circa 21:00 CET :cool: :(
Castle-viewing? Which country is it in? Just wondering. Also have fun

guessing huh?

let me guess BEFORE you start.

your UI changed due to mods i recommended (heraldic shield into old looking square flags), your borders and province border lines changed due to a mod i recommended or you bought some DLC (finally!) to change some stuff on the screenshots. or, you gonna use meiou and taxes.

guessing huh?

let me guess BEFORE you start.

your UI changed due to mods i recommended (heraldic shield into old looking square flags), your borders and province border lines changed due to a mod i recommended or you bought some DLC (finally!) to change some stuff on the screenshots. or, you gonna use meiou and taxes.
My lips are sealed - for 1h still at least ;). All will become clear than.

Shouldn't you have sent the screenshot 2 minutes ago?
Nah, it's understandable if you're sending it slightly later

20170706165518_1.jpg

To recapitulate: the first person who recognises what will be so different this time from the screenshot may ask for a price
- as long as it's reasonable and possible in-game of course and if not already done (cause I already played quite a bit and am now in the 1690s, you have to forgive me that playing as Prussia was so 'addictive' :p).

Good luck with guessing!