• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

aaronfranke

Corporal
40 Badges
Jun 4, 2018
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Dear Paradox,

In a recent podcast, the future of Paradox's Linux support was discussed. It was mentioned how Linux takes up more than 1% of support costs while it produces under 1% of the revenue, and that it doesn't make sense from a business perspective until Stadia comes out. I'd like to argue that there are things you're not looking at.

First of all, I want you to know that my group of friends only plays Paradox games because I, a Linux gamer, convince them to. Even if you only see 1% of sales being on Linux, I can almost guarantee that dropping Linux support would decrease your total sales by more than 1%. Instead of losing just myself as a customer, you would also lose about 5 Windows gamers. I would imagine that many people here who play multiplayer have a similar situation.

Secondly, Linux gamers are, on average, more technically-inclined than other gamers. I have published a few small mods for Stellaris, and I would not be surprised if significantly more than 1% of your modders are Linux users. If Paradox dropped Linux support, it would almost surely impact the modding community.

Third, Linux support helps make the games less buggy. Linux users are also more likely to provide detailed bug reports and help solve issues. Even ignoring users being technically minded, generally speaking, releasing and testing on multiple platforms helps with narrowing down bugs. There's a reason that many big C++ projects compile for and solve warnings for GCC, Clang, MSVC, and more - it helps make the code more robust. I have also often found that, while sometimes lacking in features, open-source cross-platform tools tend to be less buggy overall.

I can't be sure if, or to what degree, these affect Paradox games, as I don't have access to the data and some things won't show up in the data (such as Linux users convincing their Windows-using friends to buy Paradox games), so take this with a grain of salt.

TL;DR: Linux support probably means more than a 1% difference in sales, probably more than 1% of modders, and probably helps with solving bugs that would affect other platforms too.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am not often active on these forums, but I am quite active on the Steam forums as Fedaykin. I maintain the tech support sticky thread on the EU4 Steam forums. I spend a significant amount of time assisting with low and medium level tech support issues for Windows, Mac, and Linux users.

I am now and have been for many years a Linux only user. Of the time I spend assisting Paradox customers, the vast majority (easily 99%) are Windows users. I have spent easily the amount of hours on tech support assistance / tech discussion, as I have actually playing the game (approx 1700).

As a customer. I do not nor have I sought out sales. I purchase Paradox titles via pre-order in most cases or day one release in others. I purchase all DLC, game content, audio DLC and cosmetic DLC. I own every Paradox developed & published title since Crusader Kings 2. I have recommended your games to literally hundreds of people (of all platforms).

I urge whoever is listening to reading these posts, continue to support Linux as a gaming platform.

Thank you for your time

Fedaykin

Edit: Spelling =P

Linux gamer here, 99% of the time I chest my way through your wonderful games with console commands, and I can't afford to constantly shell out for dlc, but I do enjoy playing your games. I especially love dragging my window gaming friends I to Stellaris for hours straight. Please don't drop the Linux I will miss new games.

I'm a Linux gamer, and buy Linux games that Paradox publishes (at least ones that come out on GOG, since I only buy DRM-free). So I join what was said above. Don't drop Linux support please. Those who release for Linux invest in that market, which is in fact growing.

The funny thing is, as the market grows, more developers start releasing for Linux, and in result, there are more Linux games to buy. May be that causes increased competition and potentially less sales? But it doesn't mean the market is shrinking. On the contrary. Regarding Stadia, it's already a promising target, so why not release for Stadia, and for desktop Linux at the same time? Increased amount of profits from Stadia will help you cover support costs for both.

I surely hope we'll see Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 released for Linux!

Thanks!

(at least ones that come out on GOG, since I only buy DRM-free).

Quick tip: GOG Galaxy is not available on Linux, but Paradox has their own launcher which does run on Linux, so you can get your DRM-free games with auto-updates.

Quick tip: GOG Galaxy is not available on Linux, but Paradox has their own launcher which does run on Linux, so you can get your DRM-free games with auto-updates.

Does Paradox store provide downloadable installers like GOG? I don't mind buying there, if they are indeed DRM-free. I avoid closed clients that manage any installations though, so I wouldn't be using GOG Galaxy either, since it's not open.

GOG installers are open source for the reference.

Does Paradox store provide downloadable installers like GOG? I don't mind buying there, if they are indeed DRM-free. I avoid closed clients that manage any installations though, so I wouldn't be using GOG Galaxy either, since it's not open.

No, I believe you have to use the Paradox launcher to download the games, which is closed source. Still, I would totally support Paradox adding website downloads, even if I would never use that feature personally, since it would make buying from Paradox more attractive.

However, I don't really understand your stance. You can launch the game without the launcher once downloaded. The games themselves are closed source so you still end up running proprietary software, and by the way I don't think GOG posts the source code for their website where you download the launcher. To me, it seems all that changes with using GOG instead is a decrease of convenience. I would totally understand not wanting to run somebody else's proprietary software to run a game (ex: Steam), but it's just a Paradox app to manage Paradox games.

If what worries you is what happens if the service goes down in the distant future, you're equally well off. You can still run the games from their folders with both, and running an installer executable (assuming you still keep it around in addition to your installed game) isn't much more convenient than zipping and unzipping a file.

Client that manages stuff has a different level of trust than games themselves. So while I tolerate closed games, I prefer any such downloader / installer client to be open. With GOG you can download things with your browser, lgogdownloader, wyvern and etc. And installers are open themselves. Clients like Galaxy, Steam or Paradox one are on the other hand closed, so I personally would avoid using them.

I'd totally support Paradox adding downloads from their site. That would be great.

You know what? They can do what they want. I have enjoyed my time spent with Paradox games, and nothing is set in stone at this point, so maybe I will continue to enjoy their games into the far future. If not, that's fine. I'm sure I will be able to find something else to do with all that time and money. Games are just games, even if they are really good ones.

There is also a possibility that Linux users are better at sending in bug reports than Windows users. So while both groups may have the same bug yous as developers only hear about it thanks to the Linux users. The improved code is something both groups will receive the benefits from though, and the reputation of Paradox as a developer will improve. In a time of fallout 76 having a rep of releasing games that work is quite nice...

Also a 100% Linux gamer here. The others mostly covered what I would have said.
I just quickly wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for supporting us so far. Your games really bring something else to the table (something nowhere else to be found) and some of them left me a taste of complexity. A taste I had been craving for since the 90s. If this leads to the decision we all fear, I wish you the best and I hope you reconsider at some point.

I am a 100% Linux gamer too, and although by myself I don't own lots of Paradox games (like, only things like Magicka 2, Stellaris, CK2, all Shadowruns, PoE, Age of Wonders III, Cities in Motion 2), I assist and give support to a few Linux-only users who do, one of them my own wife, which wouldn't even have her Cities Skylines with lots of DLCs if it weren't for me, and I also have a telegram groups where your games are praised. I too have the impression that the numbers you are looking at to try and dismiss the importance of Linux in your earnings is oversimplified, and that this executive which told that Linux support does not make a lot of "business sense" is completely out of touch with how games work in the PC realm, being detached of the technical and social mechanisms therein.

Needless to say I also think that it is a much healthier business strategy to not only support Linux, but to really ensure it is first-class support and praise it, because it would be like you were talking directly to influencers and support personnel. The other advantages have also been highlighted here, and you do not get hostage to the platform owner since Linux has no real owners, which is a HUGE business advantage.

Please dont consider dropping native Linux support, it would be a huge loss to don't have access to future Paradox games. Wine and proton are great for still having access to the old windows game library but they are not in my consideration for future game purchases.

Stadia might become an additional gaming platform, but from what I have heard mods are not a thing in there.

I've activated my paradox account again to jump in into the discussion.

Right now I'm playing stuff on Windows BUT I usually purchase games that have Linux support [and have good reviews on steam]. The only exception to this rule will be Cyberpunk and WoW Classic (but I know that one works on Linux).

Paradox games have been daunting to buy due to their business practice (100 zillion of DLCs), but I still have my eye on Europa Universalis, and eagerly await more Magicka content (if that will ever be a thing)
I hope Paradox is not going to cut off Linux support, as I would simply stop seeing them in my search filters and will also not recommend them to my friends.

I cannot find for them any good reasons to actually continue supporting the Linux community, besides my own reasons for working with Linux.

I have spent many hundreds of dollars on Paradox games (possibly more - *shudders*), and they make up the bulk of my Steam hours. As a Linux user, I could not continue my patronage without a Linux release, unfortunately. Paradox have always been responsive to their fan base, so I have my fingers crossed for a sensible decision.

One possible solution is to narrow the supported distros to just the current version of Ubuntu. If you want to run the game on some other flavour of Linux you can, just don't expect official technical support. That may alleviate some of the disproportionate burden posed by users trying to run Arch on their washing machine.

Reactions:
I love your games. My favorite game is CK2. I have all the DLC. You're the first developer I recommend to my friends, and not just because you make great games. You support LINUX!! I know that Linux is a very small platform, but if we can't count on devs to support us we'll never grow. I'm thankful to Valve for pouring so much into Linux, but if you drop Linux support I won't be buying your future releases, even if they work with Proton/Wine. I also don't want to take the chance that Stadia will work out, because when you consider Google's track record, Stadia will likely be around for 3-4 years and then swept under the rug.

TL;DR I really love your games, and I hope you will reconsider Linux support. Thank you.

Linux support for me, as a non-Linix gamer, is still really important. My work laptop is Linux (currently Ubuntu but soon PopOS for that native CUDA swapping :drool: ) and my home gaming PC is Windows. On my lunch breaks, I throw together some edits, playtest, and make pull requests for mods. My total Linux playtime across Stellaris/CK2/EU4 has to be less than 100 hours compared to my 2000+ on Windows but I think that if Linux support was entirely, I would probably stop modding entirely. I can't be the only one in a similar situation.

For what it's worth, I totally understand the desire to cut some awful part of the build out because it takes so much effort when something goes wrong. We recently started trying to compile fat binaries for both CPU and GPU compilation at work and we're like, "man, this sucks why can't we just buy GPUs? It would be so much cheaper time-wise" but it makes our build long-term more stable with less dependency management and our interns will be extremely grateful. I know I'm not your intern, but please think of me, people like me, our contributions to the modding community, and our eternal gratitude when you struggle with figuring out why you're getting some weird compilation error on your Ubuntu build.

Last edited:
What are the stats based on? I use all platforms depending on where I am and what I do. Mac, Linux, Win. But I doubt I "generate revenue" much while on Linux. Seamless transition with steam cloud is a major feature and supports my decision to buy (even when on Windows).

Since the development of Windows post 7, I'm moving away from every day use of that platform.